Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: I Am The Apocalypse

• Start Topic

The title has apparently changed, but per the description below, this must still be the new backdoor Chicago Med episode:

It's all hands on deck when Firehouse 51 races to the scene of a deadly chemical leak inside an industrial building. With squad and truck tested like never before, scores of workers are rescued but many are experiencing respiratory distress. This prompts truck 81, squad 3 and ambulance 61 to spring into action to transport the victims to nearby Chicago Med. The situation takes a turn from bad to worse in the midst of the chaos when a "patient" planted inside the hospital goes on a suicide mission armed with a grenade and claiming to be the carrier of a deadly airborne disease. Trying to stop the madman from engaging the explosive device, a member of the firehouse team is severely wounded in the blast and left to face life-threatening injuries. With no other choice, Chicago Med is forced into lockdown until doctors and the Hazmat team can determine the severity of the airborne virus.

Not to editorialize, but I liked this better when it was called ER with the episode "Exodus".

No, the medicine on ER actually made sense.

OMG, did that just happen?  It was so incredibly awful we watched so we could snark.  They really put everything including the washing sink into it and it alternated between being totally predictable (I knew as soon as the man outside described the guy's stance that he was a psychiatrist) to ridiculous.

Why couldn't they just get fire extinguishers from the rest of the hospital?  Unless the ER is negative air flow (which it isn't), it's not going to make things worse to put some extinguishers outside the doors and open them up.

When they brought the extinguishers in, why was it a "we're risking out lives for people" instead of putting on HAZMAT suits? If we're learned anything from Ebola, it's how to protect our team.

Why would infectious disease person need the blood of someone in the ER to test?  The bomber, yes, but there's why one of the people there?

The Marburg virus is not airbourne so as soon as they knew it was Marberg virus, everyone who didn't get his blood on them would have been safe.  (That poor man with the rib in him though.)

If anyone is curious, the prognosis is 23% to 50% death rate.

Marburg viruses are highly infectious, but not very contagious. Importantly, and contrary to popular belief, marburgviruses do not get transmitted by aerosol during natural MVD outbreaks. Due to the absence of an approved vaccine, prevention of MVD therefore relies predominantly on behavior modification, proper personal protective equipment, and sterilization/disinfection.

• Love 3

I think I strained my eye muscles from rolling them so much.

For not one second was there any threat to anyone. The actors did the best they could with the lameness that was this episode.

I love Oliver Platt, happy to see him back on TV, but his character seems kinda weak. Hope I'm wrong and/or they change that.

(edited)

Peter Mills will go to medical school, mark my words.

Dr Hannah started the episode sitting on the floor fixing the fridge and ended it sitting on the floor crying.

Oliver Platt is a busy man these days--The Good Wife's new model rich Republican character, the wise head of psychiatry on Chicago Med. Good for him. Cool hair, S. Epatha! Good to have you back on my TV!

Go away, Gabby.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

Hey, if somebody wants to put Oliver Platt and the concentrated form of awesome that is S. Epatha Merkerson back on my tv, I have no objection. Also, I didn't hate Laurie Holden -- pretty sure that's a career first for her where I'm concerned. So. 

Casey, WHY? Gabby makes me dislike him and they are just awful together. I don't really want anymore characters to die, but Gabby needs to permanently go away somehow.

I wonder if they regret killing off Hallie, Casey's doctor ex-fiancée. She could have been on the new show and Casey was better and much happier with her. 

DO.NOT.CARE about the Chicago Med/CPD characters. 

They've had two backdoor pilots for Chicago Med along with the one for CPD on this show. Not to mention the constant CPD crossovers and the fact that CF was basically a launching pad for so many of their annoying storylines most of last season and some of this one also, so shouldn't CPD have most, if not ALL of the Chicago Med spin-off crap on their show? It's not fair. Has there ever been a show in the history of television with this many crossovers? I still love the characters (minus Gabby) but I might have to start watching it online so I can skip over the parts from the other shows.

Mills, please take Gabby with you wherever you go.

Peter Mills will go to medical school, mark my words.

OMG! I'd be soooo much better if Gabby went to medical school instead. Wasn't it a big dream of hers to become a doctor? Now is like the best time ever! Monica could have had her own show. The only thing she has to do is leave Casey alone and move on to ChiMed...

• Love 3

Well, damn, Chicago Med.  Promoing your new show is not an excuse to blow up the whole dang ER.  It sure is lucky that Severide was the onliest severe injury in the building, as pre-med PeterMIlls obviously knows more than the doctors about which patient needs the most attention.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the fact that two of the people in the OR without sterile gear negate the sterile gear on the third?  Why was the psychiatrist "taking a nap"?  Plot point for future episodes of CM?

Also, thank God the terrorist didn't have ANY OTHER INFECTIOUS DISEASES in him, as everyone bailed out of the hospital with their blood spattered clothes  as soon as the door was open. 

Props to the actress extra who ran up to her car at the outset and skidded right up to the door without falling down.  Must be a Chicago native. 

Whatever happened to Casey's side job? 

Laura German:  "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in..."

• Love 1
Laura German:  "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in..."

< Anal retentive> Actually, it's Lauren German < /AR >, but yeah. LOL! Maybe she wanted a bit more money to pad the bank account! I'd still hand wave things if we can trade a dead Gabby for an alive Shay. Oh, well!

• Love 1
(edited)

< Anal retentive> Actually, it's Lauren German < /AR >, but yeah. LOL! Maybe she wanted a bit more money to pad the bank account! I'd still hand wave things if we can trade a dead Gabby for an alive Shay. Oh, well!

I'll trade a live Gabby for a dead Shay, any time, any place.

I did really like this episode as a pilot. As a Chicagoan, I wonder if it will be 100 percent filmed in Chicago--Oliver and Sepatha are so much better known to me, at least, going into this show than most of the other casts were (now they are pretty famous here, of course!). Will they be living here part-time? Will we run into them like we used to see Oprah around and about, or will the city be less of a character and the filming will be elsewhere with just the occasional crossover. Yeah, I guess I can google that, but I do love the real Chicago aspect

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

I thought it was awful. It could have been a decent episode of Chicago Fire but since they spent most of the time trying to establish all the new Chicago Med characters if felt stilted and contrived. Especially the doctor who was trying to keep the girl calm by telling her about Aunt Ruby's cookies or whatever the hell she was babbling about while the ceiling was falling in. That was laughable.

Also, while I'm not overly familiar with S. Epatha Merkerson's work, I thought she stunk up the joint on this. Could have been the clunky dialogue but her delivery was flat. She sounded like she was just going through the motions. Maybe she felt the same way about the script that I did. Oliver Platt's dialogue was overly contrived as well. They did a crap job trying to establish the new characters.

• Love 1

Did you notice that all the firefighters and paramedics had cuts on their faces in the ER, and all of their faces were without cuts later the same day at the bar?

Yes I did notice that too. I am sure Severide wll be back on full duty next week too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chicago Med will work similar miracles every week. I think Christopher's facial wounds were shrinking as he was having his blood drawn so he could be the sentinel for the good news that the Apocalypse had been combated in under an hour in spite of the fire in the ceiling.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did I hear Chief Boden call S. Epatha Merkerson's character, "Sharon"? So she's not Anita Van Buren? I don't know. Van Buren was such a central and iconic character that I don't think I could buy her as another character in the Wolf-verse. And what if Benson visits Chicago again and sees her?

Also, I didn't understand what the point of the Shay flashbacks were. I've also been really uncomfortable with the way the show seems to push her and Severide together as if she is his one true love (despite being a lesbian). One good thing about her death was that it saved us from a stupid converted lesbian storyline. Was she brought back to try to show us what we missed?

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 1

Did I hear Chief Boden call S. Epatha Merkerson's character, "Sharon"? So she's not Anita Van Buren? I don't know. Van Buren was such a central and iconic character that I don't think I could buy her as another character in the Wolf-verse. And what if Benson visits Chicago again and sees her?

Also, I didn't understand what the point of the Shay flashbacks were. I've also been really uncomfortable with the way the show seems to push her and Severide together as if she is his one true love (despite being a lesbian). One good thing about her death was that it saved us from a stupid converted lesbian storyline. Was she brought back to try to show us what we missed?

Yes, S. Epatha Merkerson's character is a hospital admin named Sharon Something. She is not Anita Van Buren here. If Benson shows up, maybe there will be some meta line (if CM becomes a thing and Olivia spies Sharon) about how Sharon looks a lot like someone she knows in NY.

And S. Epatha Merkerson played a mom of a murdered baby in S1 of the Mothership, and Jerry Orbach also played a lawyer opposite Ben Stone in a case also on the Mothership before Lennie in S3, so Wolf recycling the actors isn't new.

Did you notice that all the firefighters and paramedics had cuts on their faces in the ER, and all of their faces were without cuts later the same day at the bar?

Maybe they weren't cuts so much as gobs of 'sploded terrorist they washed off later...?

• Love 1

I enjoyed it. Backdoor pilots are hard to pull off. If I recall correctly Chicago PD's backdoor pilot back in season one of Fire was very incredible and they went on to revamp the cast almost entirely. PD is now a favourite of mine and I don't doubt that they could do the same with Med.

I liked April, Halstead's brother, Oliver Platt and the infectious disease lady. I've no idea why but I despised the surgeon who operated on Severide. Despised her from the get go.

Good episodes and the ratings went up as well so fingers crossed it goes ahead and they don't have to relaunch it again next season.

And S. Epatha Merkerson played a mom of a murdered baby in S1 of the Mothership, and Jerry Orbach also played a lawyer opposite Ben Stone in a case also on the Mothership before Lennie in S3, so Wolf recycling the actors isn't new.

Yes, and I believe Milena Govich played someone before becoming a detective and Annie Parisse played a defendant or something before playing one of the lawyers. But Wolf has never recycled a main regular cast member. Nobody except for Wikipedians remembers S. Epatha Merkerson as a grieving mother from Season 1. But to me and many others, she will always be Lt. Van Buren. Maybe for new viewers who don't remember the Mothership, that won't be a problem. But it's definitely going to be an issue for me.

(edited)

OMG! I'd be soooo much better if Gabby went to medical school instead. Wasn't it a big dream of hers to become a doctor? Now is like the best time ever! Monica could have had her own show. The only thing she has to do is leave Casey alone and move on to ChiMed...

If Gaby goes to med school she better study really hard considering she thought a bone from someone else sticking out of a guy's chest was his own rib.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 5

It was so OOC for 51 to go to Molly's to get drunk while one of their own was laying unconscious in a hospital bed! At least Casey should have stayed at the hospital until his buddy Severide woke up. Ugh, so lame...I honestly can't believe the writers did it. They robbed us of what could have been a great Sevasey broment just because they needed to shove more ChiMed's April in our faces....

• Love 2
(edited)
Also, I didn't understand what the point of the Shay flashbacks were.

I thought the "point" was that Severide was on the brink of death and Shay was his angel-guide leading him up to the great firehouse in the sky.  Because I viewed it that way, I was looking for Serveride's sub-conscious to bid Shay goodbye, maybe once and for all, and choose to return to the land of the living.  I was disappointed that we did not get this scene.  Maybe Shay could even have said, "go be with April, she needs you more than I do now" but that would have involved Lauren German filming a new scene, I think all we saw was flashbacks from previous episodes.

Was Severide lying to April when he said he didn't remember anything?  I wondered if he did not want to tell April about was dallying with Shay.

Speaking of April, have they told us if she is a nurse, orderly, or doctor?

It was so OOC for 51 to go to Molly's to get drunk while one of their own was laying unconscious in a hospital bed! At least Casey should have stayed at the hospital until his buddy Severide woke up.

The scenes where the fire-brotherhood hold vigil in hospital waiting rooms always give be chills.  I was also surprised that April didn't stay by his bedside.  Maybe they all know that once the shrapnel is out, a Chicago 51 firefighter only needs a few hours to heal.  How else are they going to explain Severide being in top shape and leading tall buildings in the very next episode?

Did I hear Chief Boden call S. Epatha Merkerson's character, "Sharon"? So she's not Anita Van Buren?

I would have loved it if Van Buren had decided to leave the crime world to "do something good" by becoming a hospital administrator.  It would have been so easy to write her in that way...she had to move to Chicago to care for her ailing parents and ran into someone from long ago that asked her to consider....

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1
They've had two backdoor pilots for Chicago Med along with the one for CPD on this show. Not to mention the constant CPD crossovers and the fact that CF was basically a launching pad for so many of their annoying storylines most of last season and some of this one also, so shouldn't CPD have most, if not ALL of the Chicago Med spin-off crap on their show? It's not fair. Has there ever been a show in the history of television with this many crossovers?

Yep, there's Arrow. The Flash last year, and another Disjointed Bunch of DC characters one this year, it seems. They made the new spinoff initially intended main character a "supporting" character on Arrow for the whole season, and if you get a look at the Arrow forums, well...I believe that CF can still count its blessings, with wasting mainly an episode and a C-plot of the Love Interest kind for Severide.

I prefer Gabby and Casey together than separately. Imo, from S1, the show has always managed to convey that they trusted and confided in each other (YMMV) so they work better for me as a friends turned couple than as star-crossed lovers, which I don't buy. No drama, especially no drama for the sake of drama, is better for me and imo, for the characters.

I've no idea why but I despised the surgeon who operated on Severide. Despised her from the get go.

Poor Laurie Holden. She was Marita on the X-files and Andrea on the Walking Dead, both widely despised characters, YMMV. And for Andrea, the amount of hatred directed at her personally  wasn't far from what the Breaking Bad actress got, IIRC.

I didn't hate her here (nor did I before, for the record).

S.Epatha Merkerson is a great actress, but her character was so generic that even she didn't make it come to life imho. As for Oliver Platt, his character was written too much as The Quirky One; and it's a testimony to his talent -still imo- that he didn't come off as a complete caricature of the TV Psychiatrist. I found all the others bland, bland, bland.

I don't care about ludicrous plots too much, if I have interesting characters (Hey, I'm not picky: I watch the Night Shift!). In this respect, the backdoor pilot gave me nothing. Now I know for sure that I'll pass. 

• Love 1

I really can't stand Yaya. It's making it so hard to look at "April" through non-judgemental eyes.

I get the feeling April is supposed to be a nurse though. She doesn't have that arrogance most TV doctors seem to have.

• Love 1

I think there's already a little potential meta in giving Merkerson's character the actress's own first name, "Sharon."

("Hey, Dick! Can you get Sharon for the new spinoff?"

"Sure! Great idea. We all love her!"

"I know, right? Uh -- what are we going to call her this time?"

"I don't know. What do you want to call her?"

"Uh. 'Van Curen?' 'Cause she's a doctor, right?"

"That's stupid. Don't call her that. Just call her, I dunno, 'Sharon?,"

"Done!")

• Love 2

People on twitter think that Gabby is going to be pregnant after her and Casey slept together last episode. Gross. THAT storyline would make me turn off this show completely and never look back. #FreeCasey.

People on twitter think that Gabby is going to be pregnant after her and Casey slept together last episode.

That had not occurred to me, but sadly that makes so much sense.  Casey and Gabby both acknowledged that the deed was destress sex so of course it will lead to more than that.

I agree with the above poster, this is gross.  I also have to say it was gross and completely out of (my fantasy of his) character for Casey to have that one-night stand.  And what is going on anyway with him and that strip club? 

OK, if I can push the river I will flow with it.  Let's have the one-stand girl pregnant with Casey's child, and Gabby, and one of those strippers strutting the pole.  Now I am interested.

Ugggggh that was almost unwatchable- I. JUST. WANT. CHICAGO. FIRE!!! 

Can't wait to see Oliver Platt in the new Chicago FBI - Chicago Criminal Minds - Chicago PB (Psychological behaviourologist)  - or whatever crappy other spinoff they want to create.   I made a joke like this, last season maybe, when they started doing additional scenes in the hospital (with extras) - I WASN'T SERIOUS!!!! 

Is NBC just going to go full out Chicago shows? 

Can't believe they let Super Gabby think it was his rib - I mean, I thought she had x-ray vision

Tackling people that were trying escape the hospital amused me -

The snarkability might be the only thing that keeps me watching -

• Love 1

Ugggggh that was almost unwatchable- I. JUST. WANT. CHICAGO. FIRE!!! 

Can't wait to see Oliver Platt in the new Chicago FBI - Chicago Criminal Minds - Chicago PB (Psychological behaviourologist)  - or whatever crappy other spinoff they want to create.   I made a joke like this, last season maybe, when they started doing additional scenes in the hospital (with extras) - I WASN'T SERIOUS!!!! 

Is NBC just going to go full out Chicago shows? 

Can't believe they let Super Gabby think it was his rib - I mean, I thought she had x-ray vision

Tackling people that were trying escape the hospital amused me -

The snarkability might be the only thing that keeps me watching -

You act as though this wasn't the network with 3 or 4 different Law and Orders.

• Love 1
(edited)

You act as though this wasn't the network with 3 or 4 different Law and Orders.

Right?!?!  But they didn't dumb one up to make another one - this just seems more cobbled together with all the crossovers

Law and Order made sense that you would have other divisions that work together on occasion - off shoots appeared more seamless.  It was almost like here's some new characters....fly be free on your own!!  They rarely, if ever, crossed over. 

Chicago XX seem to make it where you almost have to watch all three shows to know what is going on - or you're only getting part of a story.

Edited by Boilergal

One can argue the crossover frenzy predated even the L&O franchise on NBC. I recall when I was a teenager - before Saturdays were a wasteland of repeats - when NBC would have Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and Nurses have crossovers with blackouts or hurricanes or such. The concept must have brought in viewers because it carried over to the Wolf shows.

While I do think they dilute the Chicago franchise, I think the crossovers to the network are more vital than they even were to the L&O franchise because, for a long time, the L&O franchise didn't have Hulu or Netflix or Amazon Video or even the internet (for the Mothership's infancy) to compete with. The viewer pie for broadcast was far bigger than it currently is, so if the gimmick gets folks to watch all of the shows on the network, it is considered a "win".

And that is why I think, love or hate them, they will continue.

• Love 1

Maybe we should establish a list of ideas for new shows:

Chicago Waste Management

Chicago Auto Workers

Chicago Meat packers

gah! The possibilities are endless.

I wouldn't be surprised if next we get Chicago law set at the proscutors office. I mean Dick Wolf likes lawyer shows. The big thing about the crossovers that bugs me is how intertwined they are. If someone didn't watch Chicago PD would they remember who Halstead was. I don't really have an interest in the med show,but wonder if i will misd out on fire or pd storylines if i don't watch it.

So Chicago Med starts off with a bang, when a self declared moslem terrorist claps his hands together. One hand was holding a season ender for ER, the other had a season ender for Grey's Anatomy. The blast they create together produces a wormhole that allows us a glimpse of a future show, Chicago Shrink.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 1

Is PeterMills leaving Chicago Fire (feel free to spoiler tag if you happen to know for sure)?  I hope that he's not being transferred over to the craptastic Chicago Med because I don't plan on ever watching that show.  I know that Peter has had some dumb storylines, but I'll be sad to see Charlie Barnett go if he is indeed leaving.

I wouldn't be surprised if next we get Chicago law set at the proscutors office. I mean Dick Wolf likes lawyer shows. The big thing about the crossovers that bugs me is how intertwined they are. If someone didn't watch Chicago PD would they remember who Halstead was. I don't really have an interest in the med show,but wonder if i will misd out on fire or pd storylines if i don't watch it.

Shush...they're listening....

One can argue the crossover frenzy predated even the L&O franchise on NBC. I recall when I was a teenager - before Saturdays were a wasteland of repeats - when NBC would have Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and Nurses have crossovers with blackouts or hurricanes or such. The concept must have brought in viewers because it carried over to the Wolf shows.

True - but those were 1 off's "A Very Special Golden Girls"  because Empty Nests ratings were down.  Now they seem like a launching pad (L&O) evolving into this new iteration where they are more intertwined.

Chicago Waste Management

Chicago Auto Workers

Chicago Meat packers

Chicago Rehab, Severide can chill there when his mind gets stuck on Shay

Chicago Parole, Casey's mom and Voight can co-star

Chicago Cafeteria Workers, starring Peter Mills' mom

Edited by MaryHedwig

Chicago Waste Management

Chicago Auto Workers

Chicago Meat packers

gah! The possibilities are endless.

It would have to be Chicago Streets and Sanitation instead of Chicago Waste Management to be accurate LOL. Love your ideas BTW.

As a Chicagoan, I don't mind that there will be three shows shot here (for NBC) because it means great things for the economy here (we really need it since our state is broke). I just wish the stories were more compelling on this show. Chicago PD does a better job upping the stakes.

Right?!?!  But they didn't dumb one up to make another one - this just seems more cobbled together with all the crossovers

Law and Order made sense that you would have other divisions that work together on occasion - off shoots appeared more seamless.  It was almost like here's some new characters....fly be free on your own!!  They rarely, if ever, crossed over. 

Chicago XX seem to make it where you almost have to watch all three shows to know what is going on - or you're only getting part of a story.

So the NBC cinematic universe is taking a page from Marvel Comics?

Its not bad if you a casual viewer like me in for a story of the week, Emergency or Law and Order style rather then the continuing soap opera. The show I think got the mix best was Third Watch. All those years in syndication they had a story line with a crossover to a failed medical show and you would see one of the Third Watch's paramedics fighting for his life with no conclusion. If a DVD doesn't come soon i just may go the bootleg route to get Third Watch.

• Love 1

I don't think that is true for me. I watch the beginning on Chicago Fire. I don't watch either PD or SVU and I never feel that I have missed a thing. The Chicago Fire portion of the story is the beginning and the end for me. No one is forcing me to waste two hours of my life watching shows that  I don't like.

I don't think that is true for me. I watch the beginning on Chicago Fire. I don't watch either PD or SVU and I never feel that I have missed a thing. The Chicago Fire portion of the story is the beginning and the end for me. No one is forcing me to waste two hours of my life watching shows that  I don't like.

But if someone only started watching Chicago Fire and never watched PD they would have no idea who Halstead or his brother were. Yet they were in a scene by themselves at the beginning of the episode.

In order to get closure on the one where Severide found the box of tortured kids pics in the arson - I had to watch Chicago PD.  I believe they have done it in other story lines too - but I guess I didn't care enough about them to finish watching.

In order to get closure on the one where Severide found the box of tortured kids pics in the arson - I had to watch Chicago PD.  I believe they have done it in other story lines too - but I guess I didn't care enough about them to finish watching.

That's just it. I don't care anything about a story line that was tagged onto the ending of a call and is to be continued on PD,SVU. I didn't need to see that ending in order to continue on and enjoy the next episode of Fire. If there was something that was commented on in the next Fire episode, I didn't catch it. It didn't matter in the long run. It was like it never happened. It was not important enough in the Fire world to continue to have ramifications. It's done. 

Chicago Waste Management

Chicago Auto Workers

Chicago Meat packers

gah! The possibilities are endless.

Chicago Yellow Cab

Chicago Bakery

Chicago Fitness Club

Chicago Floral

Chicago Pizza

Chicago 7-Eleven

Chicago Hardware