Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: ShakesQueer

• Start Topic

Since the first 7 mins. of this episode is available to view on Logo do we have to put spoiler tags on discussions of just that?

Just in those 7 minutes alone, I laughed more than I do in 30 minutes of other shows. This season is so on point.

• Love 2

I was living (!) for Ru on that motorized rascal she came in on! Too friggin funny. This was a really funny mini challenge and my favorite part was Rupaul. Too often we get wrapped up in this new queen or some other queen and we forget who the real, true QUEEN is at least that's the case for me.

• Love 7

Bye Jasmin. You didn't really think your dress could save you after that horrible performance, did you?

Also, I have a hard time believing that having any kind of fabric or hair on your face would send you to the emergency room.

• Love 6

I was bored during this episode. This was just so messy, and the skits were not well-writen. I would've liked to have seen Taming of the Shrew instead of Romy & Juliet. And maybe Julius Cesar instead of MacBeth (kidding).   So far, haven't been enjoying these seasons as much as the previous one. And I know I'm a lone wolf here, but I miss the previous Untuckeds.

Called Kennedy and Jazzmine as bottom two. Knew Kennedy would out lip-synch Jazzmine by miles.

Mel B. and Kat Dennings were odd choices as judges. Is Carson a permanent judge now?

Also, the DRAG by Shakespeare is basically an urban legend- right?

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 1

Yes, the Shakespeare thing is a bit of a legend - but is as good an explanation as any. Regardeless it dates back to the late 19th century at minimum. I think this is one of those episodes RU (and WOW) use to "rank" the queens going forward. Ru values a sense of what he calls herstory, and queens that are both culturally and pop culturally aware. From season three onward the winners are all savvy, quick on their feet and aware of the world around them. Last week tested their traditional drag skills, this week it was cultural awareness. Max, Ginger, Katya, Trixie, Kandy and Kasha all "got" it. Fame, Jaidynn and Violet coped to varying degrees. Kennedy and Pearl need to retake the course to stay in the game. Jasmine failed. She couldn't even be bothered to glue on a beard.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 3

I liked this episode. It was funny all through out. I felt for Katya though, she seemed to do okay and was just stuck with a team of trainwrecks.

This is probably the start of Max rising to the top. I now predict Max, Ginger and Katya will be the top 3. Hope Ru's no excuses rant at judging  puts and end to Jaidyn's excuse making at every challenge, she's fun but it's getting annoying.

• Love 2

Bye Jasmin. You didn't really think your dress could save you after that horrible performance, did you?

Also, I have a hard time believing that having any kind of fabric or hair on your face would send you to the emergency room.

I am thinking Jasmine meant the dermatologist. I feel for her, I would hate to have a massive breakout while fliming a tv show too. I still cringe when I see people with terrible acne on tv.

• Like 1

I am thinking Jasmine meant the dermatologist. I feel for her, I would hate to have a massive breakout while fliming a tv show too. I still cringe when I see people with terrible acne on tv.

She said "Next thing I know I'm being rushed to the hospital," which is a pretty ridiculous way to refer to an appointment with a dermatologist.

I can respect her desire not to break out - but don't make that sound like a medical emergency.

• Love 5

Locas, Ru on that scooter was gold. That mini challenge was one of the most fun ones I can recall, I loved it! Am I the only one that pictured AbFab's senior citizen-Patsy and Eddie making their way down the Soul Train line? Hee!

As much as Jasmine annoys me I did feel a bit for her re: not wanting to attach a beard to her face. I developed a nasty case of facial dermatitis about ten years ago (new beauty products + stress = YIKES) and it was sooo painful, to this day I'm very wary of what I use on my skin. As for her performance, man was she awful and deserved to go. And her runway dress was not even all that.

We have a winnah: whoever called Ru saying "LaGuardia, Newark, Kennedy" (in another thread, I believe) as Kennedy hit the runway. It's about time Ru said it! :-)

• Love 2

Pearl, being young is not why you have never seen or heard of MacBeth. You are 23, not 3. Kids read Shakespeare plays in middle school and high school. She was so blank faced and emotionless when she said her lines.

Hee, I loved the Heathers shout out in Romy and Juliet.

Jasmine was right - her runway dress was beautiful. But her beard was terrible. She was also awful in the group performance.

Max had my favorite head to toe runway look. From the outfit to the makeup to the actual beard, she looked gorgeous and she had a very clear character.

I loved Violet's dress but what a pill during rehearsal and the group performance. Mel B can stay forever for telling Violet that a rough day is no excuse when you are a performer. That is the actual definition of being a performer to me. Pros don't let the stress get to them. If they make a mistake, they keep going. They might cry right before and right after they're on stage, but when they are actually on the stage, they turn it out.

Katya's Abraham Lincoln look was hilarious and fun.

Kennedy's patchy pube beard was awful, both in closeup and from a distance.

They had Mel B as a guest judge but no Spice Girls song for the LSFYL? Wasted opportunity!

I know it's only the third episode but I like that some of the challenges (both the mini and the main) are not relying on fishy faces and glamorous evening gowns. Between the old lady characters and the bearded ladies this week, I think the show did a nice job of having the contestants show us some variety in what they normally do.

• Love 8

We have a winnah: whoever called Ru saying "LaGuardia, Newark, Kennedy" (in another thread, I believe) as Kennedy hit the runway. It's about time Ru said it! :-)

I mentioned it, but only after Ru said it during one of the first episodes!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1

I would think if you suffer from make up related allergies, you would not choose to be a drag queen.

I read somewhere that the queens know what the challenges are going to be before the come on the show, that's how they know what to pack.  Jasmine should have prepared for this beard runway with something....something.  I get having allergic reactions to certain types of glue and such but she should have worked this shit out before filming.  Enh, Jasmine was starting to work my nerves last episode so I shed no tears in seeing her leave.  Good riddance to her and her mediocre drag!

• Love 3

I have a deathly latex allergy, so many things in makeup I can't do, but spirit gum and liquid latex are two different things, so I think it may just be a weak excuse for Jasmine saying she couldn't glue anything to her face. It's a shame, too, because you could tell her desperation in bringing out the nicest dress she had in order to try to save herself. Being more clever (like dressing up as Abraham Lincoln) would have served her better, but she's more a pageant queen, and they sometimes how trouble breaking out of the box like that.

I did get a little uncomfortable when it was pointed out that the majority of this year's contestants are skinny white fishy queens and then we had two black queens LSFYLing at the end. I still think Ginger Minge is the one who will win this season, based on the way she's being presented in her talking head confessionals. A little acid, but with a heart of gold, just like Bianca....and Raja. I'm okay with that.

I didn't like Max the first couple of weeks because of the pretentious accent (you're from the midwest! Own that!), but he's been growing on me every time he says something funny. First impressions rarely last on Drag Race.

I want Carson's sweater so much! And Katya's blazer in her confessionals! Together! They'd sear out people's eyes, but I want to wear them together!

• Love 4

I thought it was funny that Scary Spice was ripping into the queens for bad acting.  Bitch please, the Spice Girls Movie won no effing Oscars.  Having said that, I did agree with a lot of what she said.  *snort*  I had to google Kat Dennings to find out who she was.  I think that says it all.

I was expecting a lot more LOLz from Carson (who was my fave on Queer Eye back in the day) and I'm sad that he is a bit boring so far.  Mind you, still leagues ahead of Santino, but I'm hoping for more.  You have to give Michelle props for noting Kandy's improved contouring.  I disagree with some of what she says but she is a fair judge.

Max - wow you really really impressed me.  So young, I love the character and the accent.  I have loved every look on her so far - I'm keeping an eye on Max.

Pearl, good grief.  She had this weird baggy thing going on the crotch area - I'm not sure if she was going for camel toe or not but it looked a bit wrong.  I still think she is so pretty so I need her to stay for the next 3 episodes at least.  I need this eye candy for a bit longer!!!!!

I may be going a bit soft but I am starting to feel sorry for Violet.  Yes, she is a bit annoying but her getting picked last for everything is making her very snotty.  I don't like the fact that she is routinely picked last.

Jasmine, you should not have been so nasty in the last untucked episode.  Also, when interviewed by Michelle she ripped into Rupaul!!  WHAT?  No honey no.  Your dress was that good but nothing could save your super tragic acting.  It was by far the worst performance.

• Love 3

This one was merely okay for me. I'm never a huge fan of the acting challenges. Random notes:

- Max is living up to all of my expectations.

- Max, Pearl, Trixie and Katya won the runway for me, in that order.

- MKD is really surprising me and I thought she deserved a shoutout - she didn't have a huge part, but I thought she executed it pretty much flawlessly.

- Jaidynn brought yet another bedazzled leotard. That's what, four of them now? I really hope they read her for this at some point.

- I don't think Pearl will "wake up" right away. I actually expect her to land in the bottom two next week as a final warning, and THEN her redemption arc will start.

I thought Untucked started off really well. Max's team had a really nice energy, there was some light shade thrown towards the losing team, and Ginger even got to tell Max and Trixie what she thought of them without anyone (JASMINE) turning it into a shitstorm of drama... and then, cue Kennedy. She just has an awful attitude, doesn't she? I was completely with Violet on this one, and I actually thought Violet handled herself quite nicely.

Also, having seen several of her performances, I know Kennedy can bring more energy to a lip sync than the rest of this cast combined. Her performance here was aggressively disappointing, even factoring in the restrictive dress. I'm not going to write any queen off this early (Latrice, Willam, Alaska, Jinkx, Trinity... plenty of queens start out underwhelming) but if she doesn't impress me soon, I'll be thoroughly over her. 

• Love 5
- MKD is really surprising me and I thought she deserved a shoutout - she didn't have a huge part, but I thought she executed it pretty much flawlessly.

This is a queen who seems to be getting NO love.  I really like her but dang why don't we see more of her?  Stupid editing! 

As far as the new judges go, meh.  Michelle V. is Beyonce and everyone else are backup dancers.  Carson and the other guy are o.k. but I think the judging panel has turned into the Michelle V. show.  Ru doesn't really critique that much, she mostly listens to everyone else (or appears to anyway =) but I think every one tunes in to hear what Michelle has to say.

• Love 1

I did get a little uncomfortable when it was pointed out that the majority of this year's contestants are skinny white fishy queens and then we had two black queens LSFYLing at the end.

You mean the two contestants who performed the worst in both challenges this week?

• Love 4

I did get a little uncomfortable when it was pointed out that the majority of this year's contestants are skinny white fishy queens and then we had two black queens LSFYLing at the end.

You mean the two contestants who performed the worst in both challenges this week?

I don't disagree with the results, it was just strange editing for me. It pointed out how very alike all the contestants are in some ways, and then the ones pointing it out (in a pretty bitchy way, mind you) were up for elimination. Just struck me as uncomfortable.

• Love 1

I thought Untucked started off really well. Max's team had a really nice energy, there was some light shade thrown towards the losing team, and Ginger even got to tell Max and Trixie what she thought of them without anyone (JASMINE) turning it into a shitstorm of drama... and then, cue Kennedy. She just has an awful attitude, doesn't she? I was completely with Violet on this one, and I actually thought Violet handled herself quite nicely.

Violet was right. They needed to work together and run the lines together. Kennedy playing the 'you're all professionals' line was pure bullshit. They were a team, they were doing a scene as a team, and especially since a number of the ladies seemed to have trouble with their lines they should have been a group helping each other out. There is simply no way in hell that you can't convince me that if Violet had, indeed, pushed the way Kennedy said she should have in Untucked that Kennedy would have listened to her. We would have gotten a talking head about 'Miss Violet seems to think she's the team leader...' and Kennedy would have dug in her heels because she doesn't like Violet.

Which, let's be real, is very definitely not "professional" at all.

Max deserved that win, but I also loved Trixie Mattel's runway. She was like a gorgeous, regal, female version of Zach Galifianakis - couldn't keep my eyes off her. And the new Pit Crew guy doing the Soul Train line - yum yum.

Trixie's look was gorgeous. The makeup was beautiful. That beard was lush. She made me think of a Babylonian God. Absolutely fabulous.

So... Trixie and Max went to school together? They did seem to know each other when they made their intros and they are from the same place but I just really liked Trixie's comments about Max being such a quiet one... even when they were in school, but turning it OUT. (Also loved Trixie standing up for Pearl and how she very much wants to be there when they were talking about Jasmine already being packed.)

• Love 4

From the recap:

And then, as is so often the case, the fallen ladies make magic during the lip sync. Performing some Kylie Minogue song that is so obscure it probably doesn't exist, they spin, pop, lock, and give us face. Both of them are commanding without overdoing it. It's excellent.

Hey, I have the Moto Blanco Radio Mix on my iPod, you Philistine.

• Love 2

I honestly didn't think Violet's performance was that bad. I thought the nerdy witches' delivery was far, far more cringeworthy than anything Violet did on stage.

I read somewhere that the queens know what the challenges are going to be before the come on the show, that's how they know what to pack.  Jasmine should have prepared for this beard runway with something....something.

They know a few of the costume challenges ahead of time. Considering the quality of the outfits, I think this beard challenge had to be one of them.

Considering that Jasmine brought food instead of a decent amount of clothes (at least that's what I've heard), I have to wonder if maybe she simply failed to bring a beard with her.

• Love 3

She brought a loaf of bread but not a beard?

She didn't want to end up rushed to the hospital for break-outs!

I know there are various allergies to various make up and synthetics. Hell, John Rhys-Davies had a severe reaction to the make-up and latex they put on him in Lord of the Rings... but rushed to the hospital for a break-out? Did she mean hives? Or... I don't even know. I just don't!

She said "Next thing I know I'm being rushed to the hospital," which is a pretty ridiculous way to refer to an appointment with a dermatologist.

I can respect her desire not to break out - but don't make that sound like a medical emergency.

Exactly. It seemed she was talking about allergic contact dermititis, AKA, a rash. Not exactly life threatening, but still not something you'd want to get in the middle of a competition in which your look plays a big part. She didn't seem to have any trouble using eyelash glue, though, so that explanation sounded a little sketchy to me. Regardless, as noted upthread, she could have prepared something better than painting on a chin strap. Considering how popular stubble is, maybe she would have been ok with a good stippling job.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Love 2

Jasmine's "beard" just looked like a chinstrap—or Kandy Ho's old contouring. There were so many options other than gluing something to one's face. For example, make a beard with wires that hook over the ears—then she could've whipped it off at the end of the runway or something.

As people have said upthread, it points to a lack of imagination. Creativity should be "the other C" (after charisma).

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

They had Mel B as a guest judge but no Spice Girls song for the LSFYL? Wasted opportunity!

Agreed.  But no Ross Matthews, so hooray.

Exactly. It seemed she was talking about allergic contact dermititis, AKA, a rash. Not exactly life threatening, but still not something you'd want to get in the middle of a competition in which your look plays a big part

It did seem a little odd - but honestly this has come up a couple of times even with the models on Face Off who are accustomed to wearing full head and chest makeups of latex, silicone, etc. so I assume she just wasn't explaining her allergy very clearly.  

Also, the DRAG by Shakespeare is basically an urban legend- right?

It would have to be since all the female characters in all of his plays were played by boys dressed as women and girls.  No real need for a stage direction there.  On the other hand Ru I think was just stressing the long (and sometimes even highbrow) history of drag performance.

• Love 3

My dream finalists are Ginger, Trixie, Max and Katya.  Hard to winnow it down to three from that, but I think Ginger and Trixie do have really solid shots.

Katya, pull it together, girl!  You've got the skills, it's clear, just pull them together!

• Love 1

Ginger continues to shine for me, especially after she told what she had done for that dying woman. Class act.

What was so special about Jasmin's dress? Rupaul has dresses that makes that thing look like a bedazzled rag.

• Love 2

She brought a loaf of bread but not a beard?

According to some of the other queens, a good portion of her luggage was food, not costumes. One reportedly contained coldcuts on dry ice, and Sasha noted what she called the biggest bottle of hot sauce she had ever seen.

• Love 2

Yea, that was a big step back from the glamazonian airways skit last episode. They didn't really give the queens much to work with and really ham it up, like the scream queens challenge last season. Adore would have slayed McBitch up and down the street, though, Violet had the idea but not the execution. I think Pearl was going for the "so totally over it" breezy cali girl but doesn't realize how flat she is naturally. She actually needed to turn it UP, not down.

Man, I did not expect to like Miss Fame as much as I did. She's actually very earnest and is trying her best. Even when people try to start shit with her she's relatively respectful. I like her and Katya just because they seem focused on performing their personal best, not trying to get in other people's heads or read them. Not that they shouldn't do so, I love me some Ginger Minj and her "I love you, but" bitchslaps.

Trixie is what Sasha Davis thought she was. She actually understands the competition and is being very strategic and thinking ahead. Luv huh! 

I don't think Kennedy and Violet's interaction was going to go anywhere but down the toilet. I moved from South to North and people like Kennedy hate mile-a-minute arguments because they think the other person is trying to be slick and throw everything at the wall to win an argument. So they latch onto one small point at a time, missing the bigger point people like Violet are trying to make. So they look slow, and everyone comes out frustrated. 

I have really tetchy skin, and when I was younger a lot of my luggage always contained food, because I couldn't eat most things commonly available. People are more ingredient conscious now, so it's easier to just wing it (and I care less), but I can understand Jasmine's frustration. Anything that really blocks my pores for an extended period of time results in large cysts and whatnots, and everything always scars. I worked really hard for over a decade to fix my skin, and still had people commenting on how disfigured it looked, before I said 'f it'. People with normal skin really just do not understand how difficult it can be with a body that will meltdown over the most random stuff. Who knows, she may have other health issues as well.

I feel sorry for Ms Kasha Davis's ex-wife. Nobody wants their hooha described that way, lol.

editz: because 'how' is not 'who'.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 5

. People with normal skin really just do not understand how difficult it can be with a body that will meltdown over the most random stuff. How knows, she may have other health issues as well.

Preach it.  It's true of allergies generally.  My sensitivities are minor and few but my brother's are pretty severe and I'm sorry to say that I was not always that sympathetic to his problems when I was a kid, although I did improve my understanding as I matured.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Between the old lady characters and the bearded ladies this week, I think the show did a nice job of having the contestants show us some variety in what they normally do.

It would be funny if they populated the season mostly with young fashion hipster queens and then made all the challenges force them out of that comfort zone. Kind of like how season 5 was the fishy season but the challenges were built to gut those fishes ruthlessly.

• Love 2

Maybe she's dyslexic?

:-)

Can I Fantard for a moment?? Cousin Oliver, I was RobertBestBarbie over at Sucks...you were one of my favorite posters! Happy to see you here!

After watching Untucked, I am beyond happy that Jasmine went home. I still don't care much one way or the other about Violet, Pearl, or Miss Fame. I adore Max beyond all reason, and I have to say, for such a dumpy/schlumpy man, Ginger makes a lovely woman!

Katya, Max, Ginger, or Trixie for the win.

• Love 2

I have to say, for such a dumpy/schlumpy man, Ginger makes a lovely woman!

To quote Katya in the premiere, “Ginger’s transformation is pretty remarkable—she goes from Kathy Bates to Bob Hoskins.”

• Love 1

I'm sorry, i ever doubted you, Max.  Thoroughly on the Max love train after last night.  Still loving Ginger & Katya, Kasha is too invisible, or I'd be sure that i love her too. Pearl continues to sneak up, but did herself a little damage last night.  Could not be more thrilled with the elimination so far this season.

Oh, yeah!  Trixie.  I especially love her out of drag.  Not a good sign that I keep forgetting her in drag, especially the way she paints herself. That should be hard to forget.

Edited by heckkitty
  • Love 1

They know all the challenges ahead of time. Jasmine could have fashioned a beard that ties in the back or something. You didn't have to use adhesive. Just goddamn excuses.

The bitter queens think they are so much better than the young queens, but then two of them end up in bottom two. Ha! And what's wrong with caring about your aesthetic above other qualities? The old queens seem to think there's only one way to be a drag queen.

I still remember Jasmine greeting Kennedy on Episode 1 as if she were some sort of drag superstar already. I have yet to see anything interesting from Kennedy.

• Love 4