Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Retaliation

Meanwhile, Margaux steps up her plans to take down anyone who stands in her way.

Unless Baby Carl is the only one standing in her way, Margaux isn't going to have much success.  And even against him it's a toss up,

• Love 3

Wasn't there supposed to be at least one red sharpie this week?  All I saw was Emily participating in a takedown of her boyfriend's ex-wife's ex-boyfriend.  How lame can they get?  Was Margaux the one who was hit by a car in the promo for next week?  Probably another fakeout. Or it means that Victoria will once again be out to get Emily.  Yawn.

On the plus side, Victoria took down Natalie a lot sooner than I thought she would.  At least they didn't drag that out.  I've read so many positive comments about that actress and I thought she was terrible.  Good riddance (and this from someone who is not really a Victoria fan).

All in all, I thought it was a lame episode.  Poor Nolan when he finds out Lyman is not in the guest room. 

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2

So big baddies Lyman and Natalie are neutralized. And the cheap narrative crutch of a continual stream of "oh my god we're all going to die" bad guys that last 3 episodes continues.

It's a shame that one of the most kick ass female protagonists ever shown on TV and wasted on this forgettable dreck.

• Love 2

Is Natalie gone? She was such a fun, promising character but they got rid of her that quickly? We've been stuck with Margaux for years now but Natalie only gets a few episodes?

I can't believe her story was resolved so quickly and the part about the fake rape and her history with Conrad was disappointing and a boring conclusion to her story.

I think it's funny now how many revenge stories are going on, Natalie vs. Victoria and David, Ben's former wife vs. her ex-con boyfriend and pathetic Margaux vs. everyone, also Louise's brother vs Louise. It's hard to keep it all straight. I love the show though, it's still so much fun, dumb but fun.

• Love 2

I fast forwarded this episode, a lot.  Anything with Ben and anything with Margaux.  The last 10 minutes were interesting though.  I loved the scenes with jack and Nolan: the hug, the towel slap.  I think I only really like those two characters now.  Emily is a shell of her former self.

No red sharpie, show.  Bad show.

Jack is back in fine form with Nolan popping his collar.

but....OMG OMG that beyotch is going to betray Nolan and frame him.  Nooooooooooooooooooo.  Damn, I hope her mamma sneaks her back onto those meds!

And I really - all this time - have not understood why he would sleep with Padma but not with Red headed girl.  This is really going all out on the Nolan's broken trust meter. 

Emily and Ben were a subplot.  But I really hated that woman who starved the dying Grandad and was setting David up - cool that it was resolved so quickly and neatly and allowed Victoria to say, "well, guess it's good you didn't kill me after all?" with a smirk. 

It was kind of cool Conrad showed up, in memorandum. 

Margo is going to be a really really crap mother.  Maybe worse than Victoria.

• Love 1

I'm sorry, Margeaux, you sicced an innocent woman's ex-con psycho ex-boyfriend on her, who was clearly set on beating her to death with a crowbar, and EMILY is the bad guy? [insert pot-kettle-black cliché here]

• Love 12

Are we supposed to believe super-hacker Nolan's computers, that have loads of sensitive data on them, don't have multi-level password protection? Please!

And the Suffolk County police chief would just let Margaux buy him off to fake Jack's breathalyzer? Like Jack wouldn't be able to contest it and prove easily enough that it was faked, and end the guy's career?

I still don't care about Ben and even less about his ex-wife and the ex-wife's ex-boyfriend. What a waste of Emily's time.

Poor Nolan when he finds out Lyman is not in the guest room.

I think Lyman is in the guest room. Louise wouldn't just leave his body on the beach for someone else to find, especially with the USB drive in his hand, would she? I think she's going to try to make the body disappear and then tell everyone Lyman just left town.

Speaking of Louise, I thought her hair and styling looked really weird in the last two episodes. The hair looks like a cheap wig and the heavy eye makeup during the day makes her look like a hooker. She was always so nicely put together when she was taking the crazy pills.

Now that Victoria is going to have money and power again, I'll be highly disappointed if she doesn't resume her vendetta against Emily. The Queen is going to want her palace back.

ETA: Shouldn't Margaux be showing by now?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

I think Lyman is in the guest room. Louise wouldn't just leave his body on the beach for someone else to find, especially with the USB drive in his hand, would she? I think she's going to try to make the body disappear and then tell everyone Lyman just left town.

But how would 90-pound Louise GET Lyman into the guest room? 170 pounds of dead weight up a cliff? No way.

• Love 2

But how would 90-pound Louise GET Lyman into the guest room? 170 pounds of dead weight up a cliff? No way.

I don't know, but what's the other option, considering she didn't call 911? Just wait until someone else found the body and feign surprise? The medical examiner would be able to tell that he fell from Nolan's house's porch, establish the time of death, and perhaps even find Louise's DNA on his hands. 

I don't know, but what's the other option, considering she didn't call 911? Just wait until someone else found the body and feign surprise? The medical examiner would be able to tell that he fell from Nolan's house's porch, establish the time of death, and perhaps even find Louise's DNA on his hands.

Drag him into the sea and let him float away? Body would still be found but not near Nolan's property, plus the the water temperature would make the time of death harder to pin down, not to mention washing away DNA evidence.

• Love 2

Drag him into the sea and let him float away? Body would still be found but not near Nolan's property, plus the the water temperature would make the time of death harder to pin down, not to mention washing away DNA evidence.

Better yet, call your fake husband whose an old hat at the revenge business and disposing of dead bodies.  It's not like the shows dragging along by handing the idiot ball to random characters.  Oh wait...Natalie got millions of dollars and pissed Victoria off and she tells David that he starved her husband to death and was just going to destroy him because Conrad would want that.  Idiot balls for everyone!

I hope something more interesting turns out to be the big bad.  Seriously, Emily just needs to get into contact with Margeux's brother and find out that she and Daniel framed him.  Better yet, let them smear Daniel's name some more and bring up the girl that ODed in his bed.  That should get Victoria motivated enough to bring her A game.

Just glad that Jack is getting his scruff back.  BTW where has Victoria been living all this time?  Is it Daniel's old penthouse?

• Love 1

I agree that Nolan would have a multi-layered encryption on his computer unless he wanted the info to be released and once again set up Margaux.

The time of death could only be equated to a period of hours. Even "Ducky" can't pinpoint an exact time. Lyman's death could be explained by a drunken stumble. I hope that Louise actually tells Nolan because I'm sure he would understand and deal a whole lot better with a cover-up.

Victoria to the rescue. Who would of thought( but, in Victoria's world, it's all about money and power.

Emily, Ben, and Nolan will rescue Jack from facing trumped up charges. Emily will make Margaux's henchman pay. He will meet his demise, by Emily's hand, most likely next week.

Edited by Waldo13
  • Love 2

What was the purpose of Natalie & that whole storyline? It added nothing & just muddied up the other storylines. Why did they actually have to have the ex wife on the show & have Ben & Emily go to her? Same thing, added nothing & muddied everything else.

Dear God, please get rid of Margaux, how much longer am I going to have to hear her whiny French voice?

• Love 3

What was the purpose of Natalie & that whole storyline? It added nothing & just muddied up the other storylines. Why did they actually have to have the ex wife on the show & have Ben & Emily go to her? Same thing, added nothing & muddied everything else.

Just like Malcolm Black, right? Added absolutely nothing to the show AT ALL. The show is past running on fumes. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I am glad that the show didn't force me to watch the stupid Natalie/Victoria courtroom drama!

Oh, Louise, you big dumb dummy. All Lyman had to say was that he liked her when she was a kid and all is forgiven? The reason Nolan doesn't see the other side of Lyman is because Lyman is a dick, and not a very smart one at that. If you want to charm your sister's new husband so that you can stay at their house and poke around for Margaux, try being nice in his presence. Not that it matters now!

I was cracking up at Lyman's bowtie and sweater vest combo when he was at the club with Louise. It looked like a more colorful version of something Bill would wear on Masters of Sex.

Loved when Jack snapped his towel at Nolan's butt and then Nolan popped Jack's collar.

Louise's wigs are out of control! When she answered the door with her hair in two braids, I was like dude, where did they get that horrible wig?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Colour me amazed because this season has really found it's footing. The cast dynamic (especially with Louise, who gets on with just about everybody) has settled in a really organic place.

I'm actually finding Margaux extremely impressive as a villain. Think about it- she launches not one, not two, but three takedowns against Team Emily simultaneously while amassing a horde of expendable spies (Simone, Lyman, the cops) to do her dirty work. One of these plans succeeds and one partially succeeds (given that Louise now has to contend with a potential murder charge). That's more revenge in one episode than Victoria has had this entire season.

I thought I would want more of Natalie but, surprisingly, she really wore out her welcome with me so I was happy to see her go. She was just a touch too evil for me to invest in- her coming after an already broken David was plain disturbing. I enjoyed Victoria vs Stevie far better because Victoria remained the eviler party.

If Margaux loses the baby next week I'm going to put my head through a wall. Her being pregnant was a legitimately interesting plot move and if she miscarries it will feel like a tired rehash of Charlotte.

Edited by GuyAwks

I'd be okay with Margaux losing the baby, mostly because I don't need the spawn of Daniel and Margaux unleashed upon the earth. Plus we already have Carl and I don't need multiple babies on this show. Although ooh, if Margaux has a girl, we could flash forward twenty years to Carl and Spawn of Daniel as star-crossed lovers like Romeo and Juliet! Imagine how much Victoria would hate her granddaughter slumming it with Jack's son (heh, almost as much as she hated Charlotte slumming it with Declan!).

• Love 1

That was a great episode. Little disappointed that Natalie was disposed of quickly but it was done a lot better than they did with Malcolm and Victoria/David's scenes were actually attention worthy for once too.

Natalie being one of Conrad's former mistresses wasn't too shocking but starving Edward to death after forcing him to change the will was pretty cold and dark for this show in a way.

Louise killing Lymon was an accident but I almost fear she's going to frame Nolan for it and I don't want that. I don't want them together romantically but I don't want Louise to become villainous either.

Jack moping is never a good thing and while this episode hammered it home that him and Emily are meant to be in every way, I did feel bad for him getting arrested thanks to Margaux.

Margaux sucks as an antagonist and sending Wes after April was pretty terrible too. I did like meeting Ben's ex-wife more than I thought I would do for some reason. Maybe it was cos she slapped Ben at the beginning as well. That might have been it. 8/10

• Love 1

No red sharpie, show.  Bad show.

Jack is back in fine form with Nolan popping his collar.

but....OMG OMG that beyotch is going to betray Nolan and frame him.  Nooooooooooooooooooo.  Damn, I hope her mamma sneaks her back onto those meds!

And I really - all this time - have not understood why he would sleep with Padma but not with Red headed girl.  This is really going all out on the Nolan's broken trust meter. 

Emily and Ben were a subplot.  But I really hated that woman who starved the dying Grandad and was setting David up - cool that it was resolved so quickly and neatly and allowed Victoria to say, "well, guess it's good you didn't kill me after all?" with a smirk. 

It was kind of cool Conrad showed up, in memorandum. 

Margo is going to be a really really crap mother.  Maybe worse than Victoria.

I agree with everything here. And, oh my gosh, that was the best line of the night!

I recognized Ben's plot from last season--as Patrick also had some estranged ex-wife in Florida that Nolan and Emily tracked down or something...I'm afraid that next week we'll find out that his long-lost mother is in town...honestly, I don't care.  Margeww is so pathetic...get a life! 

Damn, I was hoping Lyman was going to be a good guy.

Questions:

1-Why don't they just tell Margaux the truth about Daniel's death?  What would she do with the information that would damage anybody?  Conrad Black is dead, it doesn't matter that he knows who killed his daughter (especially since the killer, Daniel, is dead), and would the FBI really go after somebody who killed a woman who was infiltrating the FBI for her nefarious father's illegal purposes?  That would be a scandal the FBI wouldn't want revealed.

2-Are they really going with Carl going into foster care while Jack is in jail?  With two putative grandparents able to take him (David and Jack's mother)?

3-What do the cops have a hard on for Jack for?  I can't remember him doing anything evil.

1-Why don't they just tell Margaux the truth about Daniel's death? What would she do with the information that would damage anybody? Conrad Black is dead, it doesn't matter that he knows who killed his daughter (especially since the killer, Daniel, is dead), and would the FBI really go after somebody who killed a woman who was infiltrating the FBI for her nefarious father's illegal purposes? That would be a scandal the FBI wouldn't want revealed.

2-Are they really going with Carl going into foster care while Jack is in jail? With two putative grandparents able to take him (David and Jack's mother)?

3-What do the cops have a hard on for Jack for? I can't remember him doing anything evil.

1. They did tell Margaux the truth. Why they didn't come clean to the Feds about the WHOLE thing is a question I posed when the episode aired. It doesn't make sense to still cover up Kate's death. She was dirty.

2. David isn't gonna want to take care of a kid that isn't really his grandkid. And I think Jack's mom fell off the wagon again.

3. The cops are mad at Jack for quitting. Which is stupid, yes. I'm sure rookie cops decide the force isn't for them all the time and quit after the first year. I bet it's common everywhere.

I also don't believe Margaux was ever told the truth.

Victoria told Margaux (her version) of the truth several weeks ago.  I'm sure Vic put a spin on it that is particularly unflattering to Emily, but indications were that she was told the facts of the history with Emily from the Amanda Clark vendetta to Malcome Black and the shooting.  We didn't see the conversation take place and I have no idea if Victoria actually told Margaux that Daniel shot Emily in the baby maker, but it seems she knows the basics and what went down the night of the shooting that ended Daniel's life.

Also, Daniel didn't kill anyone.  Kate shot Daniel when he came in to protect Emily and then Jack shot Kate.  Kate's body was moved to hide her involvement and the narrative was changed to Daniel was attacking Emily and she shot him and then Jack arrived (or maybe that Jack shot Daniel to protect Emily  - I don't recall).  Emily and Jack gave false statements and everyone who knew participated in the coverup of the shooting death of a federal agent, dirty or other wise that's a hard one to get out of.

Margaux blaming Emily is so dumb.  Emily didn't do anything to cause Kate to try and kill her other than being wealthy and David's daughter.  And it was Vic who sicced Kate on Emily.  To me, it seems that Margaux is angry that 1) Daniel's name has been sullied, 2) Daniel died protecting Emily, 3) Daniel cared enough about Emily to die for her, and not necessarily in that order.  I'm not even sure that Daniel was protecting Emily so much out of caring for her as feeling he owed her or even just no longer wishing to be a terrible person who would let someone he once cared for come to harm.  But I feel like some part of Margaux views it as evidence of a connection or attachment he still had to Emily and that is fueling her rage.

To me, Margaux is unrootable for a host of reasons, but the above is a large part.  Margaux knows enough of what the Grayson's did to Emily and her family to know why she targeted them and she knows that Daniel chose to help Emily in a situation not created by her.  And yet she is still laying this whole thing entirely at Emily's feet. Secondly, targeting Emily's friends who actually help her I totally get.  But Margaux basically handed an innocent woman who didn't even know Emily and just happened to be Emily's current boyfriends ex-wife of a decade ago over to her violent ex-boyfriend to be killed violently.  Margaux is disgusting.

I'm seriously hoping that Louise is just in shock and this is not a new trend of hiding things from Nolan.  What I've enjoyed most about their friendship is their honesty with each other and the way they've been loyal with Lou even joining in a revenge plan last week.  I want that relationship to continue. 

And unless I'm wrong, the body should appear to have just fallen.  Lyman's foot legitimately stepped off the edge as they were fighting and he appeared to just fall.  There didn't look to have been and force from Louise and Lyman struggling over the drive which would have made much difference to his fall.  Thus, it could look entirely like an accident if she left him where he as he landed. The problem, of course is the drive in his hand.  Either it needs to be retrieved or it exposes them anyway.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 9

No I think Victoria told Marg the truth, but she didn't care and still blames Emily for the death. And she should be showing by now!

Poor Jack. And Louise better not frame Nolan. She could have called the police and said she found Lyman like that. Another way for the show to get drama.

What a waste of Gina Torres. Taking her down this fast? And Victoria is rich again. Yawn

• Love 1

To everyone who says Margeaux has to be showing a belly:

The timeline of season 4 started around the end of May. Last episode was about the 4th of july. So if you are paying a little attention you know season 4 is only 5 or 6 weeks in time until now.

Considering the fact that almost every episode resolves around 1 or 2 days, Margeaux doesn't have to show for a long time.

Edited by Melvinvdriet

I think Lyman's death may be traumatic for Louise, considering how her father died.

And it will make her look even more suspicious to the police. That's two family members who have fallen to their deaths in her presence. I bet her mom will try to get her locked up again for killing her precious Lyman. Ha, if only Louise could find a way to frame her momma!

• Love 1

I found the episode depressing. I feel bad about all that Jack has to go through and especially his poor kid. I just thought it was a bit much and didn't add to the story for me. And yes Nolan better be safe from Louise!

When I saw that Margeaux tried to take Carl away from Jack, I knew miscarriage was going to be the karmic payback. I highly suspect she will get hit, survive and lose the baby. I can only hope she decides to leave town. 

The way the storylines are wrapping up, I'm thinking producers got the word that this is the end for Revenge.

• Love 3

Isn't Emily technically Carl's Godmother? That might give her an in as legal guardian to keep him out of the system.

Being named a godparent gives no legal rights to guardianship which is why you have to have that kind of thing specified in your will. Since Emily is also not related to Carl by blood or marriage, she is technically just a family friend in the eyes of the law. Since she has a clean record, she could probably get temporary custody of Carl (since it's preferable to dumping a toddler into foster care). And since Jack isn't dead, he can give his permission. I don't know the ins and outs of it, so I don't know if they would have to do what Jack wants.
  • Love 2

I was ok with this episode, but I liked "Bait" much better. On the upside I really enjoyed the Natalie, Victoria, David triangle and absolutely didn't see her being Conrad's lover seeking revenge coming. And for one time David didn't act all that stupid, which made him at least a little bit more likeable, plus Victoria's comment about David trying to kill her had a silver lining after all was hilarious.

On the downside there is....Ben. He is the most boring character on Revenge ever, and that says something. Can he at least for one time not do the right thing without any reason? At first I thought maybe he could be trouble for Emily, exposing her or being on the dark side playing her, but no, Mr. Do-Right and supercop is suddenly ok with Emily being a con, Jack killing the fake FBI-agent Kate (and David getting rid of the body) and David killing Conrad (if he is not superdumb, he must have figured it out by now, since David has no alibi). Then I thought maybe he would step up for himself and his ex-wife as Margaux approaches him, but no, he runs right to Emily. And finally when his ex-wife slapped him and told Emily she would run away if she knew what he really did I thought, "now we are getting somewhere", but as it turns out Ben's "dark secret" is him having been overprotective and overcorrect again, which turned our bad for his ex-wife, wow. ^^ And that was by the way the first thing about his personal life we learned after 16 episodes of Ben, oh come on!

And I have to ask under which circumstances would authorities in an state take away a baby from a single father for one-time drunk driving, if you consider him having a clean sheet and being a decorated ex-cop too, not very realistic.

• Love 1
Margaux blaming Emily is so dumb.

Well to be fair, Emily played a major role in the death of Pascal. She blackmailed him into wearing a wire and, when Conrad found out he was wearing a wire, he murdered him because of it. That's a significant degree of culpability (although I don't think that's been elaborated on as Margaux's reasoning).

Maybe it's just because Emily hasn't been an underdog in a very long time but the idea of someone being after her solely because of her criminal status seems understandable to me. Margaux doesn't need a personal reason to hate Emily- she's simply someone fundamentally opposed to what Emily's done the past 3 years. The show isn't morally black and white- the Graysons framed David yes but that doesn't necessarily justify all the collateral damage that Emily has caused or the laws she's broken. It's not hard to conceive of an individual learning Emily's story and simply thinking "Hey- she's broken the law. She should be held accountable for it." as opposed to "Oh that poor Amanda Clarke, good for her."

Edited by GuyAwks
  • Love 1

Well to be fair, Emily played a major role in the death of Pascal. She blackmailed him into wearing a wire and, when Conrad found out he was wearing a wire, he murdered him because of it. That's a significant degree of culpability (although I don't think that's been elaborated on as Margaux's reasoning).

Maybe it's just because Emily hasn't been an underdog in a very long time but the idea of someone being after her solely because of her criminal status seems understandable to me. Margaux doesn't need a personal reason to hate Emily- she's simply someone fundamentally opposed to what Emily's done the past 3 years. The show isn't morally black and white- the Graysons framed David yes but that doesn't necessarily justify all the collateral damage that Emily has caused or the laws she's broken. It's not hard to conceive of an individual learning Emily's story and simply thinking "Hey- she's broken the law. She should be held accountable for it." as opposed to "Oh that poor Amanda Clarke, good for her."

I have to disagree on Margaux being after Emily solely because of her criminal status, Margaux is out for revenge, and revenge is always personal. Margaux doesn't care about how much of a criminal Emily is, in fact Margaux is a criminal herself, as she sent her own brother to prison for years for a crime he didn't commit (she set him up with drugs on an airport), and just recently she sent a ciminal after a victim in a wittness protection program contributing to a possible murder.

The real reasons are her blaming her father's death on Emily, and hating Emily for the fact that Daniel gave his life portecting her, even after the hell she put him through. She can't see why everbody is protecting Emily (Ben, Jack, Daniel), that is what makes her so furious, she even said it herself this episode.

• Love 4

I really don't know where the show is going at this point. This season just seems to be made up of these storylines that get resolved in 3 episodes and add nothing to the show. I do like Louise - rather would've had her around the last couple seasons than Charlotte - but this show really should've ended with Emily clearing David's name.

• Love 1

Hate Margaux, love Louise, Nolan and Emily.  Glad Lyman is dead, hope Louise moves on, not her fault.  Glad David is not whispering anymore.  Happy new gold digging wife of old man Grayson is gone, I guess for now anyway.  Poor Jack can't get a break.  Where's Charlotte, not recovered yet?  How much longer can this show go on?   Just my random thoughts about the show.

• Love 3

2. David isn't gonna want to take care of a kid that isn't really his grandkid.

But the world still thinks Carl is David's real grandson (since they don't know the true identity of Amanda Clarke).

Plus, after everything Jack's done for him, I think David would want to take care of Jack's son (and at the very least, Emily would want him to).

Edited by calipiano81

I don't think we have to worry about Jack permanently losing custody of Carl. Emily saw him getting arrested, so she's probably going to bail him out straight away and take him to the nearest hospital for a blood test, which'll show that there was no alcohol in his system (if he'd really had .14 like the police chief said, the alcohol would be in his blood for another ~10 hours), and the DUI charge will be dropped. Unless Margaux has Carl kidnapped that night, he's going to be returned to Jack in the morning. The whole storyline is completely harebrained; it's probably just a setup to have Jack start his own revenge against Margaux. We know he's not usually a vengeful guy, but he won't stand for anyone messing with his kid.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

Margaux needs to go now. She is the worst revenger ever and I have no sympathy for her. I like Victoria more than her, so that's saying something. Hope that preview is not a fake out and she is hurt or killed.off. Way past time for her to go.

My wishes for the end of the show:

Emily and Jack sail away together on David's boat (with Carl I guess)

David stays in the beach house

Victoria gets her mansion back, but is no longer an evil beeotch

Nolan and Louise stay together and he continues to hang out in his club

Everyone else is dead or gone

• Love 3

The one good thing that happened was I was worried Louise would be the one to go off the cliff.  Not only because I love Louise & think she's so cute with Nolan, but also I could see Nolan wanting to take revenge on Lyman, while Lyman is running around with the flash drive.