Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Miss Intergalactic

I didn't agree with whats-her-name, just blanking on her name, winning that powder spotlight challenge.  There must have been much more subtlety in it that what we viewers see.  It just looked boring to me.  Especially compared to some of the others.

I'm not sure what to think of Kelly being eliminated.  Her make up was ugly and so was Ben's.  Not too crazy about Darla's.  I certainly didn't think it was the most beautiful.

• Love 2

I was stunned that Kelly and Ben were the two bottom looks--thought they'd both be in the final 3--and my husband and I honestly thought the judges would pull a save out of their butts to give both of them another chance. I know Kelly could be a bit much, but I really hated to see her go. Of the two, I thought Ben's creation was worse...to me it looked schlocky and hideous. Much like Ben himself, his alien looked like she was angry and like she smelled something rotten.

I agreed with the top three and with Darla's win. I liked that hers was beautiful yet still very alien.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 1

Glad to see another foundation challenge this week - loved that they used Holi! Wheee!! I'm sure they held it outdoors to give the models and contestants proper ventilation, but that wind looked pretty fierce to try and work in. And unfortunately the crummy lighting made all of the models look muddy and washed out. I can only assume they all looked much better in person.

This was such a fun challenge this week, it's such a refreshing change that they're finally expanding their horizons from the all-horror, all-the-time makeups of past seasons. It'd be cool if they'd make this a regular challenge every season.

I liked all of the top looks this week (though I have to admit, I kept wondering what beautiful looks Rayce, Laura and Anthony would've come up with). Can't argue with Darla's winning, nor could I have faulted either of the other two looks had one of them won. I got a kick out of the little factoids Mackenzie read for each pageant contestant, especially Adam's (I think? the alien who dreamed of world domination). I assume the contestants wrote those themselves?

Glad to see Kelly go. She clearly has great enthusiasm for makeup, but she was a bit… much. And no more bull ring piercings! Yay! Wouldn't have minded seeing Ben go too, frankly, because he has yet to impress me. But now I am forced to root for him to stay because I heart Anthony.

Next week looks really interesting! The contestants haven't had to make themselves up since the first season, when they had to disguise themselves from a loved one. (I still remember Tate adorably grumbling about having to shave his goatee and subsequently look like a ten-year-old. Tate! :heart: ) So doing a full-on superhero makeup on themselves should be good. And at the risk of repeating myself, I am so very happy they're doing such creative, non-monstery challenges this season. I actually look forward to watching every week!

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 6

While I'm glad to be rid of Kelly's theatrics, I really thought Ben was going home. Regardless, if she's breaking down into tears in the lab, she really needs to get her medications adjusted for whatever emotional issues she's struggling with. Not sure the stress of a reality show competition is the best place for her kind and creative spirit.

She also needs to share them with Ben to jolly him up some. I laughed, out loud even, when Miss Universe picked him to go first with his sour expression. To quote Steel Magnolias who I'm sure stole it from a common idiom, "Smile! It increases your face value." While he designed an awesome looking alien, it wasn't beautiful. It really needed some coloring and texture other than smooth white. As any student of Michael Westmore should know due to Star Trek, the eyes are the windows to the soul, and perhaps even beauty. When Laura pointed out to Darla that symmetry is usually considered an indicator of beauty, I thought that visible eyes would be key as well. Poor Anthony is so eliminated with Ben being the only thing keeping him in the mentor competition.

I thought for sure Emily was going to win given her cosmology background and her enthusiasm for this challenge, and the air time given to her. However, she went a little over board with the ideas, and it came out looking rather messy and overdone. Less would have been more. Too bad she couldn't use her triangle head alien from last week.

Also wasn't too pleased with Stephanie's immunity based on that Foundation Challenge. However, the challenge itself was a rather nice change of pace.

I also laughed at Adam giving his lava beauty his own hairstyle with that big red pompadour. It teetered *SO* close to crossing the line into ugly monster territory. What's up with Negative Nevil again this week? Nevil's hesitation when he hoped its front view was as distinctive as its side view seemed rather negative compared to the other judges.

Regardless, congrats to the other two top looks. Their contestants really were quite beautiful. This season has done a remarkable job of not being as monster heavy as previous seasons. Hope they can keep it up till the end.

Finally, I was rolling in the floor laughing at the Miss Intergalactic contestants' background information. This too made for an awesome, hilarious change of pace from the norm. They capped it off perfectly with Glenn announcing the winner of the beauty pageant instead of the artist herself. Good job show!

• Love 3

Regardless, if she's breaking down into tears in the lab, she really needs to get her medications adjusted for whatever emotional issues she's struggling with.

Wait, do we know that she's on medication for emotional issues? Or are you basing that on her getting teary-eyed in the lab one time? Because I think the latter assumption would be an unfair insult to Kelly and anyone who's ever been stretched very thin in a professional setting and come down with an isolated case of leaky eyes.Seems like a bit of an oversimplification of legitimate mental health issues as well.

Agree that the contestant descriptions were good, silly fun. I liked the one whose hobbies were devouring her mates and knitting.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 12

That was so much fun!  Everyone except the guys were really into it.  The models sure enjoyed strutting it to Mackenzie's recitations of their crazy biographies.

I thought that one model with the huge, gorgeous eyes would win it for whichever contestant was working on her.

I was crushed to see that Kelly had made her amazing, already-alien eyes completely disappear into pools of hideous, sickly looking colors.  For shame!  I am glad she went home.

I actually liked Ben's alien, she was beautiful, just not in a fashion model kind of way.

• Love 1

That was a fun episode, it was nice to have a beauty (or as close as you can get to beauty on this show) challenge for a change, but I thought Miss Cigar Galaxy should have won. I don't care that Kelly is gone, & I wouldn't have cared if it was Ben instead.

• Love 2

Another cool set of challenges; whatever you think of the makeups themselves, this season might be the very best yet in terms of challenge concepts and fun twists.

I thought a lot of the foundation challenge results were disappointingly brown and muddy. However, the blind judging was something that would be cool to do in a Spotlight challenge. In fact, the pageant Spotlight challenge would have been the perfect place to do it if they skipped the Q&A with the artists portion. I wonder if they'll never try that, because the judge's prefer to consider past performance and the underlying concept being attempted when picking the top/bottom looks and departee.

Wow, Emily could not have been more excited by this challenge. It was sooo in her wheelhouse, the biggest risk was the judge's high expectations. She nailed the "galaxy" part so well in her paint, then dropped the ball on her facial form, as it wasn't of all things beautiful! She's so talented she could have done a much prettier face by simply doing less, like the others who kept the lower half of the face and jaw mostly humanoid, instead of rigid and kind of serpentine. Didn't Nigel describe the mouth as "injured"? Her initial sketch also seemed more round and bubbly, and that didn't come through at the end. When she just does "beautiful" she shines, but seems to trip up when she tries to get too complicated or throw too many divergent ideas in the mix. She should have cakewalked to a win this week, so I hope she's not about to stumble and fall just shy of the finish line.

The top looks were what I'd expected once I saw the finished makeups. Julian made a simple but clean head sculpt, and continues his quiet streak of top looks. Adam was due to go home given his pattern so far of safe/bottom/safe/bottom/safe... then he turns in an awesome piece. Given that cool shape, if he had the Horsehead Nebula, he'd have been aces. :) He really brought out the natural beauty of his model, more than anyone else this week.

Darla too, rose to the occassion and finally did something lovely; I think it was Ve that pointed out how the beauty makeup really enhanced the shapes of the face, just like real makeup does. Like, I could see that the shape of the nose was made to look more aqualine via makeup, which is just a brilliant concept to give it depth and realism befitting the challenge by basically making the sculpt not as pretty as it looked with the beauty treatment. For that reason, I think she deserved it, because it was simply the most beautiful- although I could argue for Adam winning just as easily.

Ben: "I took this as an opportunity to do whatever I wanted". Uh, great f***ing strategy, dude. He really should have gone home for this crappy, crappy makeup. I don't see what Glenn was saying about "swinging for the fences"; I was with Nigel because "1960s Japanese Creature Double Feature" was 100% my first impression. I guess he had a quiet "freebie" for past work. Goodbye Kelly, she seemed goofy but nice, and just got herself twisted up in her concept. Her coach steered her wrong; multi-eyed aliens can look beautiful and non-arachnid if done right. She might have been praised for being most alien.

Love the premise next week, and from the preview there's a cool Japanese robot fabrication, as well Emily looks to have made something epic. Then again, I predict winners and losers every week, and seem to be quite horrible at it (I thought Emily would coast to a win and Adam and Darla would be in danger this week, so that shows what I know!). Therefore, I don't want to jinx it by saying that the three remaining female contestants might have an advantage for being more experienced putting on makeup on a mirror, or that Emily being her own model has the advantage of being (to shallow me) the single most gorgeous woman this show has ever seen.

• Love 3

Very interesting concept, but at the risk of sounding like a killjoy, isn't beauty subjective and in the eye of the beholder and all that sort of thing? Then why would a being from a different galaxy be evaluated based on Earthly standards of beauty? Although I didn't like Ben's, maybe she's stunning where she comes from?

Ok, I'll slink back to Planet Ramm now *grumble grumble*

• Love 8

Wait, do we know that she's on medication for emotional issues? Or are you basing that on her getting teary-eyed in the lab one time? Because I think the latter assumption would be an unfair insult to Kelly and anyone who's ever been stretched very thin in a professional setting and come down with an isolated case of leaky eyes.Seems like a bit of an oversimplification of legitimate mental health issues as well.

I apologize for being way too glib and snarky when it comes to mental health issues. Mental and emotional problems that require medication for treatment should NOT be made fun of. To answer your question, I have no knowledge of any medications that Kelly may take nor any mental/emotional issues that she may suffer from. I won't edit those comments out of my OP so as to avoid any confusion for others later on.

With that said, Kelly breaking into tears was very unprofessional. It added yet another thing for me to dislike about her. I'm still not sure why she found the situation so trying so early on day 1. I simply don't have any tolerance for the woe is me edit given to someone facing creative blockage, which is probably more the show's fault than the contestants'. While I didn't comment on the previous episode at all, I was equally tired of hearing Stephanie (?) mope when she couldn't come up with something at the end of day 1. At least I don't recall her physically crying.

Therefore, I'm going to snark on contestants when they do that, just like I snarked on Ben for being a sourpuss, Adam's red pompadour, and Emily's big hair. Ironically, I didn't mind the big hair on her alien this time since it goes with the character/situation. Either that, I've finally built up a tolerance to it and it doesn't grate on my nerves as much any more. Regardless, I also need to remember that PTV isn't TWOP, and reign in the snark. At TWOP, snark ruled and was practically a requirement for posting.

• Love 8

I was sort of disappointed with the looks this weeek. I liked the concept that they were given but it seemed to result in too many similar looks. You'd think that shortly into it people would start saying " Darla oh you're making a vaguely fish looking bald woman too?! Julian you too? Stephanie? Kelly? Hmmm maybe I need to switch this up."  I mean I know that certain cues need to be there to tell an audience what they are looking at but I actually booed this week at home because it was so boring. Though I think Stephanie actually would have been the one to go home had she not had immunity.

I felt sorry for everyone on the beach this week that they didn't have dust masks as well.

Well Ive never seen an adult get so completely undone by the mere idea of glitter like Emily did! I mean seriously, she was so OTT about it being a "pageant" and that she could use glitter (again! She uses it for everything!) she turned in a mediocre piece, I was surprised it wasn't a bottom look, just to wake her up! Also Kelly lost it over the tiny idea that if she didnt do it carefully her multiple eye alien would look spidery? That was helpful, constructive advice Kelly, not something to lose yer mind over! Still, what she did do and what Ben did deserved to be bottom looks, they were both really bad. I thought Ben's had the very same expression as he has on his face 24/7, sour sour sour! I was finally really blown away by Darla's creation this week! I thought it suffered from a haughty expression but regardless, it was very clean and well painted but I did like Adam's the most. Adam's was fun, interesting, well applied and well painted. Stephanie got super lucky this week and I REALLY thought Logan's was fantastic.

• Love 1

Richness, I appreciated your thoughtful reply. I admit to being hypersensitive on the issue of crying because I'm a person who has a lot of trouble controlling my tears at times. Then again, I've been in professional situations where I felt emotional but had to force myself to suck it up or risk being seen as unprofessional. At those moments it's a good thing I didn't have someone sticking a camera in my face and/or following me to the restroom to watch me have a "come-apart." One of the many reasons I'm glad I'm not on reality TV!

• Love 9

That was a unique spotlight challenge, and I liked it! I didn't think Stephanie's was the best of the bunch, but I think in person they probably all looked pretty awesome.

It was nice to see some goofing around in this episode.  I miss George.

Oh McKensie, you are so goofy.  I'm glad they gave her something fun to do and new words to say on the review stage, and I'm kind of hoping the models wrote those bits about the characters, because that would be awesome. Overall, I did not enjoy the final makeups though.

Andromeda looked like an 80s cartoon villain action figure, in a bad way.  My immediate thought based on the colors and look was "Meteora" but I'm assuming everyone doesn't watch the Christmas Toy every year like I do.

I felt Cigar was klunky and messy, and I'm kind of surprised they liked it, but it sounds like others did too, so I guess that's just me.  Sombrero was a total mess. For once, I was not a fan of Emily's either.  Way too much going on, and time to give up the wigs for an episode or two.

I didn't like the shape of the cowl on the Whirlpool one, though I liked the face. But my favorite was Sculptor for sure. A deserved win.

Based on their comments, I expected Kelly to go home, since they at least though Ben tried to go somewhere interesting.  I'm sorry for her, but it makes sense. Somehow, I knew Laura was going to have the most folks left at this point.  I mean, more than half of them are on her team - it's crazy.  And now poor Anthony is down to just Ben - he is not going to last.

I love for the Holi challenge that the wind seemed to wait until the challenge began before it kicked up.

I'm glad to see a beauty challenge too.  Not sorry to see Kelly go, it seemed like she was completely thrown when her multiple eye idea was shot down.  I can see where Ben was going and if he had managed to get there, I think his makeup would have been awesome.  I can't really argue with any of the top looks.  I did like how when they announced the winner, she did the 'act surprised and hug the loser' thing that beauty contestants do.

I figured Emily would have won this one too, but I think she was so into the challenge that she lost the forest for the trees.  I've noticed that happens sometimes when contestants get so into the challenge they lose sight of the bigger picture, and it usually doesn't go well.

I'm sorry Anthony is down to just Ben, but it looked for a while like Laura would come out on top for the mentors.

I didn't agree with whats-her-name, just blanking on her name, winning that powder spotlight challenge.  There must have been much more subtlety in it that what we viewers see.  It just looked boring to me.  Especially compared to some of the others.

I quite liked it. I really appreciated the subtlety. Some of the others were too much. Too busy. I liked that she did her look without too much fingerpainting -- for lack of a better term.

I love for the Holi challenge that the wind seemed to wait until the challenge began before it kicked up.

Dang, show. Don't you know the wind just BLOWS on the beach? Anyway, fun fun fun challenge.

And the spotlight challenge was great, too. I was for Sculptor all the way. It was gorgeous and alien. I appreciated that Adam and Julian were able to create the beauty part of the challenge. Julian was lucky he had Laura to give him makeup tips!

LOVED that Glen said something about Kelly's looking like a peep. Her paint job was Horr En Dous. No matter how good your sculpt is, if your paint job is bad, the makeup will look bad. I'm glad Kelly (and her steel boogers) is gone, but I will admit she seems to be a nice person. 

Ben's primary problem was the lack of beauty. Don't these contestants listen to the brief? It seemed like McKenzie said "beauty" every other word. 

• Love 3

Ben might have lacked beauty make up training and IIRC, Anthony never did a beauty make up in his season so might not have been able to coach him like Laura did with Julian. Because he put some lips down.. poorly, but didn't really do anything else with beauty make up.

It was nice to see some goofing around in this episode.  I miss George.

Me too! I kept thinking of him running around the studio in his shorty shorts, and wondering what silliness he'd get up to with this challenge. He sure was a lot of fun.

• Love 4

Quite enjoyed this week, even though I like that winning look as much as others do. It felt too bland & simplistic. As for the bottom looks, no surprise there, and the fact that Ben won last week's challenge (and went for something wild) probably sealed Kelly's fate.

• Love 1

I really hope this becomes a regular challenge. The models seemed to get into it for the most part, as did everyone else. And there was some great makeups. Even the bottom two weren't that bad/could have been salvaged. 

Top 3 were great, and different looking too. 

Bottom two were fine. Andromeda had a great silhouette, but the actual looks fell flat; the eyes killed it. (maybe if he had gone for facetted insect eyes it might have helped a bit more, along with a better face in general).

• Love 1

IIRC, Anthony never did a beauty make up in his season

I don't have a rock-solid memory of this, but Anthony did do at least one "princess" makeup, I think in a foundation challenge. It sticks out in my mind b/c he gave her a bunny nose just for fun. He won that challenge. (I'm not trying to be nit-picky, it's just that for some reason I'll always remember that image of the princess with the bunny nose.)

FWIW I kind of marvel that the contestants with no beauty makeup experience don't at least ask around for a little advice on that topic once they're notified they will be on the show, since there are decent odds a beauty makeup will show up in a challenge, or beauty techniques will be an asset.

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 3

FWIW I kind of marvel that the contestants with no beauty makeup experience don't at least ask around for a little advice on that topic once they're notified they will be on the show, since there are decent odds a beauty makeup will show up in a challenge, or beauty techniques will be an asset.

Yeah, it's shocking when people get on the show who don't do a personal "boot camp", just like it's baffling that even in season 30 of "Survivor" people still show up who don't know how to start a fire or construct a basic bamboo shelter. On this show, wasn't it Sasha last year who admitted she had almost no molding experience and needed help from another contestant (George?) early on?, You can't work with every material and color palette up front, but watching the show would help you figure out the common techniques you'd need to put some time in to refine, as well as pitfalls to avoid along with the judge's individual pet peeves.

Then again, these people have past champions there to help them in real time, and yet some still churn out total crap, so...

• Love 1

Was it just me or did there seem to be sort of a chill from the other contestants towards Kelly? Darla was stone cold after Kelly's critique, didn't even look at her, and there didn't seem to be the chorus of "Awwwww" when Kelly went back and announced she was eliminated.

there didn't seem to be the chorus of "Awwwww" when Kelly went back and announced she was eliminated.

Well when Kelly went backstage and announced she was the one, the next shot showed her doing a really weird, semi-aggressive, growly "come here" at everyone for them to give her the good bye hug so maybe there was more tension than we the audience was aware of. I liked Kelly, I hope she keeps honing her craft and the future is full of good, positive things for her! (Im still team Emily though! Go Big Hair!)

It's not that I didn't like Adam's Miss Cigar Galaxy.  It was just very "meh" to me.  I was rooting for Julian's.

Then I rewatched it last night.  Totally changed my mind on Adam's.  That was GORGEOUS.  I'm now really pissed it didn't win.  So unique, and he pulled off the rock and lava look, which so many have tried and ultimately failed.  Miss Cigar Galaxy is one of my favorite things I've ever seen on this show.  Maybe in the Top 5, even.

• Love 4

Yeah, it's shocking when people get on the show who don't do a personal "boot camp", just like it's baffling that even in season 30 of "Survivor" people still show up who don't know how to start a fire or construct a basic bamboo shelter. 

Or having a dessert in your back pocket if you're chosen for Top Chef.

• Love 2

Or having a dessert in your back pocket if you're chosen for Top Chef.

Or showing up for Hell's Kitchen not knowing how to cook scallops.

• Love 3

I loved it when the winning "pagent queen" had her flowers and it looked like she was deliberately putting them in front of the pagent queen standing next to her, to make sure she didn't get any face time. All of the models were having a blast on that reveal stage/runway!

• Love 6

I've had these thoughts many times before, watching Face Off (and other reality competitions) but for some reason, after watching this episode, I remembered them long enough to comment. :) Maybe because there were such egregious examples of both!

I REALLY wish contestants would stop saying things like "We're standing on a beach and I don't know what's going to happen!" "We're going to get our next foundation challenge and I don't know what's going to happen!" "McKenzie is waiting for us carrying an umbrella and I don't know what's going to happen!" Yeah, I get it, you're not a seer. It's just an irritating way, to me, of transitioning into new challenges, and it's totally a reality contest cliché by now. Stop it, producers!

I also really wish contestants would stop explaining immunity to the audience, as in, "I'm so glad I have immunity, because now I won't be going home in the next round!"

Whew. Okay, rant over.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

The blame falls on the producers; those contestant talking heads are forced, because they want to have an easy way to sum up a situation, or gracefully end a segment and transition to another, for the viewers' sake.  Having the cast do that ("We got TreeMail!" "We took one look at this challenge and were like, 'Oh my god'" "Time's up, everyone- brushes down!") is an easy way to accomplish this for the audience, without needing a dedicated narrator.

I'm more curious about how they choose who gets to say those words, or when exactly those episode talking-heads are filmed, since it has people talking about their feelings and experiences about the 3-day challenge and judging phase, yet were obviously filmed during the judges' deliberation or long after that episode had wrapped... so in many cases, they already know the outcome when they are being interviewed (TAR addicts would even compare the angle of shadows from clips of post-leg interviews to determine the approximate time people arrived at the Pit Stop) .  I think I've heard that on many shows, they have the contestants come back for a single day, after they've left the show, and ask them questions about all the various events and episode-specific issues- almost like recording the DVD commentary tracks.

The show should have on their site bonus extras, such as unedited judges' commentary and interviews with each contestant, or a longer look at the finished costumes in 360 degrees.  I'd love to see/hear more in-depth critiques than what they show on TV with limited time...

• Love 5

I'm late to the party because Face Off, is one of the few shows my husband and I watch together, and unfortunately our schedules are such that they don't sync up until late in the week.

I don't know who wrote the copy about each model, the models themselves, the producers, or the contestants, but I laughed so incredibly hard upon learning that Miss Cigar Galaxy's hobbies include "eating her mates."

Between both the beauty pageant and the Holi-inspired spotlight challenge, McKenzie seemed to be having a great time herself that week, and that always helps out by bringing some levity into the proceedings.

Loved, loved, loved the cutaways to Laura beaming with pride when Julian and Darla getting their critiques.  I also adored Ve's telling Darla sarcastically "Basically, we all hated it," followed by Laura whispering "I think that was a good review."  I still would have given the win to Adam, just because he's only the second contestant I can remember (the first being Anthony) who pulled off lava without making it look terrible.

I honestly would have been fine with both Ben and Kelly going home.  I get that Ben was technically pretty proficient, but he couldn't have missed the point of the challenge more if he'd just decided to make a scary clown.  It goes back to the "I Don't Do Robots" attitude he had in the bodypaint challenge, and unless the producers want one finalist from each judge, I don't think he's going to last.  They kept complimenting Kelly for having interesting ideas, but her general concept--which not only could I not describe it, I don't she could either--was as big a mess as the application.

I said this in one of the previous challenges, but it bears repeating:  HUGE thank you to the producers for continuing to mix things up with the challenges.  Last week might have been monsters and this week might have been aliens, but they had twists we'd never seen before, and it kept things from getting even stale.  And even though I don't necessarily agree with the judging, the Spotlight challenge was inspired.

Edited by starri
  • Love 4

I'd swear the producers are reading and listening to us too. (It just takes a cycle or two for the message to get through).

I remember for the past few seasons, we've been lamenting both how the challenges are Monsters, Monsters, Monsters (guest staring Monster Brady). This season we're getting more variety.

There's also been a lot of talk about getting more challenge variety, like bringing back the body painting, and we basically got that back TWICE this season now; an actual body painting challenge and a pseudo-body painting spotlight this week. 

• Love 3

I love that this show is on the level/honest enough that they haven't panicked/manipulated because Laura and her team are clearly dominating.  I think many of us came INTO this assuming Laura might dominate, and so seeing that come to pass just makes it feel authentic.