Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

It was the hitting/smacking that bothered me. He was patting the baby on the chest, you could hear it, and it wasn’t on skin, the baby was clothed. Then he did the same on the back. Then….. he went on to do it on his head. Nurie said, oh you’re burping his head, or something like that. Giggling followed. Nathan said, gentle, but did nothing to stop it.

Jill’s intro to the video, “This is too cute for words!  I am SO in love with my precious little grandsons!  🥰 “.

Sorry for the rambling but the video was bad, to me, not cute in the least.

• Like 11
  • Sad 7
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It was the hitting/smacking that bothered me. He was patting the baby on the chest, you could hear it, and it wasn’t on skin, the baby was clothed. Then he did the same on the back. Then….. he went on to do it on his head. Nurie said, oh you’re burping his head, or something like that. Giggling followed. Nathan said, gentle, but did nothing to stop it.

Jill’s intro to the video, “This is too cute for words!  I am SO in love with my precious little grandsons!  🥰 “.

The things they find cute or funny are neither. 

• Like 16
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

These  people treat their children as a number.

And not even the correct number!

By that I mean Jill has recently posted over and over (usually with excessive! use! of exclamation points!) things like "Baby #14 went to Heaven!  6 Rodrigues Babies are in Heaven now." 

...  Okay.   Six miscarriages, six babies in heaven.  But Jill has 13 living children.  So it's not "Baby 14" in heaven, it should be "Baby 19."  

Why did the first five not rate being counted in her most recent release of her breeding statistics?  She has certainly mentioned them often enough.  Did she just forget about them?  Or did the math get too complicated for her pea brain? 

• Like 8
  • Applause 9
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Why did the first five not rate being counted in her most recent release of her breeding statistics?  She has certainly mentioned them often enough.  Did she just forget about them?  Or did the math get too complicated for her pea brain? 

There you go. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 9
On 3/18/2023 at 6:56 PM, LilJen said:

She does like that “looking up at the camera” angle. Add the massive crust of eyeliner and it is ghoulish indeed. Someone needs to flip the colors to negative (please let there be a filter).

I can’t look at Jill’s eyes without thinking of Diane Down’s eyes.  With the white under the irises so visible.

image.thumb.jpeg.d89a42fecfc2b629fe562f89f1d08148.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

If he hasn't already, he's going to seriously wallop that baby. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8
8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I can't imagine someone like Jeremy ignore a potential issue. He is a jerk but he has an image to uphold. I also think he does care for his daughters. 

Eh based on some of the things he said in that one deposition I'm not so inclined to pat Jeremy on the back for his paternal instincts. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Eh based on some of the things he said in that one deposition I'm not so inclined to pat Jeremy on the back for his paternal instincts. 

I'm fuzzy about the deposition, other than the fact he sat for it. What did he say? 

On 3/18/2023 at 6:05 AM, oliviabenson said:

She got 200 victims to attend her retreat????

Guess 200 hunks paid for their wives to go lol.

More likely 800 children saw their meals cut in half so Mama could get a weekend almost a whole day off.

Back when I had 5 kids and still believed in god, I went to conferences because it was relaxing and a fun social time. My bet is most of the women going think the same.

Edited by Nysha
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1
58 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm fuzzy about the deposition, other than the fact he sat for it. What did he say? 

I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist was if there were a child predator living in his neighborhood, he wouldn't want to know. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, louannems said:

I can’t look at Jill’s eyes without thinking of Diane Down’s eyes.  With the white under the irises so visible.

image.thumb.jpeg.d89a42fecfc2b629fe562f89f1d08148.jpeg

Good lord, I know ALL about Diane Downs (crazy people are my hobby). How did I not recognize the physical resemblance between her and Jill until now? Google "sanpaku eyes"! 

Damn. 

That being said, this comparison is of course not meant to equate Jill Rodrigues with Diane Downs.  Downs is a convicted psycho murderer of her own child (she attempted to kill all three, thank God she's a lousy shot).  Jill may well be a horrible mother/daughter/sister ... well, she's just a horrible person altogether.  But she's not Diane Downs. 

But dayum she sure looks like her!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Good lord, I know ALL about Diane Downs (crazy people are my hobby). How did I not recognize the physical resemblance between her and Jill until now? Google "sanpaku eyes"! 

Damn. 

That being said, this comparison is of course not meant to equate Jill Rodrigues with Diane Downs.  Downs is a convicted psycho murderer of her own child (she attempted to kill all three, thank God she's a lousy shot).  Jill may well be a horrible mother/daughter/sister ... well, she's just a horrible person altogether.  But she's not Diane Downs. 

But dayum she sure looks like her!

I'll never look at Jill Rod the same way again. Crazy people are also my hobby. I read Small Sacrifices the first time when I was a kid. 

Diane topped even the Rods in the Overplucked Crazy Eyebrows department. Of course, the photos I remember were taken in the 1980s, aka the decade that taste forgot. 

• Like 13
6 hours ago, Nysha said:

More likely 800 children saw their meals cut in half so Mama could get a weekend almost a whole day off.

Back when I had 5 kids and still believed in god, I went to conferences because it was relaxing and a fun social time. My bet is most of the women going think the same.

That makes sense. A lot of Fundie women are probably not allowed to socialize away from their husbands and children unless it’s a gathering centered around domesticity (bridal and baby showers) or Jesus (religious conference).

But a night out with girlfriends just to go bowling, play tennis or have a glass of wine and talk? God forbid!

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Like 8
  • Sad 3
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I think they are already blanket training Nemo, so hitting is something he knows about. These people are allied with with those staunch advocates of baby-beating, Debi and Michael Pearl. I don't believe for a New York minute that the Pearls or their fellow travelers like the Rods, have stopped their abusive child "discipline" practices. It's just all gone on the down low. I'd like to think that Nurie is either too lazy or busy to devote a lot of time to blanket training but given her background, and her husband's, I think they do it to some degree at least. Just not for Mahmo's camera. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 9

When my brother was two and our younger brother was born, he went to the bassinet and hit the baby with a toy gun. In his 2 year old mind, he was told he had a new brother to play with, so maybe he was trying to get him to start playing? That's our family lore.

I think that Nemo is still a baby himself and is puzzling out what to do with this new creature that has most of his parents' focus right now. I'm not worried about his behavior except that his parents should stop laughing and labeling it as "love" for his brother and correct him to pat gently. Not just with words, but by demonstrating gentle patting. Nurie seemed to be very happy with her two boys and started to say so, I think. But she's got that scary, high pitched Jill voice, so it's hard to know what she's thinking!

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
On 3/19/2023 at 6:46 PM, mynextmistake said:

I had to get them when I was pregnant with Mini Mistake because I had severe HG for the entire pregnancy and could keep almost nothing down. By the end of my pregnancy I weighed less than I did the day I found out I was pregnant. My ferritin level was 4, my hair was falling out, and I had to have three root canals after Mini was born because the vomiting had eroded my tooth enamel. It sucked so much that Mini is an only. 

No idea why I felt it was necessary to share all of that. Sorry. Alyssa is *extremely* thin, as are most of the Bates girls. They might be naturally thin, I guess, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she restricts calories to stay slender. I remember one of her influencer pics was her wearing a tank top from Athleta (I think) and the size XS was big on her. My cousin has the same top in a size M and it fits snugly, and she is 5’6 and 135 lbs. I think it’s possible that Alyssa is significantly underweight. 

Many young women are iron deficient even if they’re not slender. I’ve seen plenty of overweight women who are iron deficient.

Why? Because they eat crappy diets.  Women lose iron every month with their menses and it needs replaced.  If that doesn’t happen, iron deficiency anemia is the result. We’ve seen Carlin’s diet: Starbucks and junk food.  Alyssa may be the same. Red meat is the best source of iron, but there ate plenty of non-meat sources.  I expect Alyssa avoids red meat due to the calories and doesn’t eat the other healthy sources of iron like spinach or almonds or molasses because they’re not available at Chik Fil A.  And she never learned a thing about good nutrition-or anything else- at homeschool.

• Like 9
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

That makes sense. A lot of Fundie women are probably not allowed to socialize away from their husbands and children unless it’s a gathering centered around domesticity (bridal and baby showers) or Jesus (religious conference).

But a night out with girlfriends just to go bowling, play tennis or have a glass of wine and talk? God forbid!

I recall in Debbie Reynolds’ autobiography she mentioned how her mother went to a lot of revivals and tent meetings and, as a child, wondered why. She later learned that that was the only opportunity her mom had to escape the drudgery of The Great Depression in poor, rural Texas.

These fundies are much the same. Makes sense, since they’re developmentally decades behind the rest of society…

• Like 16
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I am surprised that Nemo is not sitting quietly in the corner on a blanket by now.

Unfortunately he probably is when the phone is in their pocket/pocketbook.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I think they are already blanket training Nemo, so hitting is something he knows about. These people are allied with with those staunch advocates of baby-beating, Debi and Michael Pearl. I don't believe for a New York minute that the Pearls or their fellow travelers like the Rods, have stopped their abusive child "discipline" practices. It's just all gone on the down low. I'd like to think that Nurie is either too lazy or busy to devote a lot of time to blanket training but given her background, and her husband's, I think they do it to some degree at least. Just not for Mahmo's camera. 

The fundies abide by the “Spare the rod, spoil the child” tenet.  I guarantee that corporal punishment is used on all fundie offspring (with the exception of Nurie.  She was an angel who never did anything to warrant punishment.)

• Like 6
1 hour ago, AgathaC said:

I recall in Debbie Reynolds’ autobiography she mentioned how her mother went to a lot of revivals and tent meetings and, as a child, wondered why. She later learned that that was the only opportunity her mom had to escape the drudgery of The Great Depression in poor, rural Texas.

These fundies are much the same. Makes sense, since they’re developmentally decades behind the rest of society…

My 200-year-old home has been passed down through generations in my family.  We found some diaries in the attic and many years ago, revivals and camp meetings were really social events.  That’s where most male/female romantic relationships began.

• Like 5
  • Useful 7

Nurie is probably going to be pregnant by summer. 

She and Nathan are shrieking in the high voices. Why?

Nemo and Nano will be plopped in front of iPad watching Bible stories asap. That’s the only education they will get. 

• Sad 12
30 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not patting.... 

Sorry I didn't mean to imply you were. I just often think that Jeremy is credited with positive attributes in these discussions that I see nowhere in evidence. 

• Like 10
25 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Screenshot from a video. 

2DDFBBD7-CF40-4A48-AB4C-E160C09ACF69.jpeg

This picture looks so thoughtless and unloving.  Jill forcing her mother's tiny and frail hands on the keys looks painful.

• Like 2
  • Sad 19

These videos where Jill is making her mom perform are so sad. Ma clearly has no awareness of what Jill wants her to do. Jill talks to her in that baby voice saying "good job ma" like ma was a toddler.

There is another video of Ma helping Olivia put away the silverware. Ma clearly struggles with putting the spoons away while Jill is blabbering and filming away. Then the "good job ma".

Ma's recovery seems not to have progressed, or been as miraculous as Jill has claimed. Very sad.

• Like 6
  • Sad 23

Being around 15 loud people must be torture to ma and Pa. I guess they don’t have insurance for ma to go live in a rehab/nursing home. 

Let’s see how the kids will treat Jill and Dave when they are old and sick.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

These videos where Jill is making her mom perform are so sad. Ma clearly has no awareness of what Jill wants her to do. Jill talks to her in that baby voice saying "good job ma" like ma was a toddler.

There is another video of Ma helping Olivia put away the silverware. Ma clearly struggles with putting the spoons away while Jill is blabbering and filming away. Then the "good job ma".

Ma's recovery seems not to have progressed, or been as miraculous as Jill has claimed. Very sad.

Everyone has to perform for Jill and the camera. 

• Sad 18
On 2/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, BetyBee said:

Does Jill know that most people communicate in person with their children? Even if the children are their best friends? This is a performance to try to convince others, even strangers, that she is the greatest Mom ever, even if she has to write it all herself!

Ah, but if she communicated privately, then she couldn't brag to the Internet about how her husband is the Very Best Hubby Ever, and her kids are her Very Best Friends, and she's the Best Mama and Most Devout Christian Ever. You're right, this is all performative. And weird.

• Like 16
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

There’s just so much commotion. Jill standing behind her giving instructions is ridiculous. I’m hoping she’s getting PT and OT from professionals. The mayhem that is Jill is SEVERELY wrong. 

I seriously doubt Ma is getting any therapy. Medicare would certainly cover it, I'd think. It was probably ordered when she left rehab. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 9
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I seriously doubt Ma is getting any therapy. Medicare would certainly cover it, I'd think. It was probably ordered when she left rehab. 

Jesus is her therapy. I seriously believe this is what they think. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 12
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Medicare would definitely cover it - in home at that.  I lost track of how many in home/in facility tours Mom had of both PT and OT.  Plus they'd send a home health aide.  

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Medicare would definitely cover it - in home at that.  I lost track of how many in home/in facility tours Mom had of both PT and OT.  Plus they'd send a home health aide.  

but it would take work to get all that set up.... it would be too much for Jill and Company. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That's what I figured. And it's clear that they turned down all that help. Ma would be so much further along now, rather than literally deserting her for six weeks with just a basically helpless husband and granddaughter to care for her. They were lucky to get her dressed and toileted, I bet.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5
7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

That's what I figured. And it's clear that they turned down all that help. Ma would be so much further along now, rather than literally deserting her for six weeks with just a basically helpless husband and granddaughter to care for her. They were lucky to get her dressed and toileted, I bet.

Well, she is getting great therapy playing piano and putting away spoons. 

• Sad 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Probably less about the work to get home care set up and more about Jill and hunk aren't going to allow anyone in their home. Especially if said person might be a mandatory reporter.

Also daddy tim said they had other help while most of the rods were off on the grift tour. someone from church "was such a blessing". So sweet friend (and kaylee) certainly did all the work.

Daddy, timothy, phillip and jonathan certainly wouldn't do what is considered wimen's work by caring for Ma/grandma.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

Probably less about the work to get home care set up and more about Jill and hunk aren't going to allow anyone in their home. Especially if said person might be a mandatory reporter.

Also daddy tim said they had other help while most of the rods were off on the grift tour. someone from church "was such a blessing". So sweet friend (and kaylee) certainly did all the work.

Daddy, timothy, phillip and jonathan certainly wouldn't do what is considered wimen's work by caring for Ma/grandma.

Good point. Not only that but if it were a woman she might wear *gasp* pants! And it wouldn't be a man because the just isn't right for a man to help her. You could also end up with someone who is gay or Catholic. Can't have that. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
37 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Depends on whether she pays for Medicare Part B. Part A is the only “free” program and that is probably all Ma has. I don’t think Part A covers home health care.

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

What's happening with Ma and Pa's almost-finished house in WV? Did they take out a loan to build it? Does Jill believe that Ma and Pa are going to return to that house and live semi-independently? That seems unlikely the way things are going. 

If Ma and Pa move in with the Rods permanently, it's almost certain the God will lay a burden on a Rodlet daughter to remain unmarried and live at home to take care of everybody.  My guess is Renee, but Tessie or Hannah might get the call. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5
29 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Depends on whether she pays for Medicare Part B. Part A is the only “free” program and that is probably all Ma has.

Not taking Part B would be horrible idiocy, but yes, I can see they might not.  I hope Tim isn't as bad as Jill.  

• Like 6