Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I get that, but if Jill said Jonathan is planning on buying a house, I don’t think “trailer.” But you’re probably right!

In the Midwest, lots of starter homes are mobile homes. Depending on how they’re set, sometimes you can’t tell the difference between them and a house built on site. Inside, they look just like a stick built home. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I wish the second gen fundies could shed their hateful beliefs as easily as they shed their modest clothes...

They’re more dangerous this way. 

1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

In the Midwest, lots of starter homes are mobile homes. Depending on how they’re set, sometimes you can’t tell the difference between them and a house built on site. Inside, they look just like a stick built home. 

And that’s fine, nothing wrong with it. I still think Jill was being deliberately obtuse. No matter what kind of home it is - how could Jonathan have saved enough after just months at a mystery (probably not well paid) job?

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 3

I feel for (and Kaylee). I feel like her choices have been usurped by BME and she's going through the motions just to get out of the madhouse. I hope Jonathan is good to her and doesn't make her participate in the family circus just because BME dictates it.

Didn't she want to marry a farmer and live in the country? I don't know about the area five miles or so from BME and hunk. Is it country-ish?

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, beckie said:

I feel for (and Kaylee). I feel like her choices have been usurped by BME and she's going through the motions just to get out of the madhouse. I hope Jonathan is good to her and doesn't make her participate in the family circus just because BME dictates it.

Didn't she want to marry a farmer and live in the country? I don't know about the area five miles or so from BME and hunk. Is it country-ish?

Jonathan is a mystery, but he comes across as very young and easily led, given that all his choices so far line up perfectly with Jill's priorities.  

The newlyweds may end up living in the country, but is Jonathan a farmer? I doubt it since nothing has been mentioned. This feels like an arranged marriage, and Kaylee probably had very little to say about it. 

• Sad 10
2 hours ago, beckie said:

The area where Jill lives is primarily agricultural.  They live in a small city, but the area all around it is farmland.  There are farms within a mile or two of the barndominium.  Their Amish neighbors may well be farmers.

In that general area, they could buy a mobile home on a lot for well under $100,000.  A decent starter home is under $150,000; even less if they get a fixer upper.  Real estate is very affordable down there.  However, part of the reason for that is that wages are also lower down there.  It seems unlikely that Jonathan would've been able to save for a down payment so quickly and we all know Jill and Dave didn't contribute a dime.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

The area where Jill lives is primarily agricultural.  They live in a small city, but the area all around it is farmland.  There are farms within a mile or two of the barndominium.  Their Amish neighbors may well be farmers.

In that general area, they could buy a mobile home on a lot for well under $100,000.  A decent starter home is under $150,000; even less if they get a fixer upper.  Real estate is very affordable down there.  However, part of the reason for that is that wages are also lower down there.  It seems unlikely that Jonathan would've been able to save for a down payment so quickly and we all know Jill and Dave didn't contribute a dime.

It seems like Jonathan appeared overnight and then in a few weeks they were engaged.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3

The way Jonathan seems to have enthusiastically jumped in to the Rod circus instead of taking Kaylee closer to his family gives me a lot of pause. I have no idea what kind of person he is, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Kaylee will end up in a more independent situation, let alone a less hateful one. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 1
  • Sad 11
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

The way Jonathan seems to have enthusiastically jumped in to the Rod circus instead of taking Kaylee closer to his family gives me a lot of pause. I have no idea what kind of person he is, but my I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Kaylee will end up in a more independent situation, let alone a less hateful one. 

Jonathan seems to be a weak reed. He's already totally under Jill's thumb. I don't see them finding much independence from her.

• Like 3
  • Sad 11
5 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

This feels like an arranged marriage, and Kaylee probably had very little to say about it. 

Considering the rules they live under, they are all arranged marriages.   the girls are supposed to wait for dog and their parents to find the right man for them.  The boys, I don't know, just get to look over the eligible girls and say "yeah I guess her" or else just let their parents arrange it.   They don't date and get to know a person to see if they are compatible.   A courtship is pretty much a commitment to marry because otherwise you are giving away "pieces of your heart."   The only thing that keeps these marriages together is that for a woman being single is the end of the world, and the men like having someone worship them and agree with everything they say (because its not like the girls are taught to have their opinions on anything).   Also divorce is considered an absolute horrible sin right up there with murder, lying and not honoring your parents.

• Sad 4
  • Applause 6
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The only thing that keeps these marriages together is that for a woman being single is the end of the world, and the men like having someone worship them and agree with everything they say (because its not like the girls are taught to have their opinions on anything).   Also divorce is considered an absolute horrible sin right up there with murder, lying and not honoring your parents.

None of the fundies I’m familiar with seem to have any issues with lying. They are experts at it.

• Applause 13
  • Love 2

I was being sarcastic.   Because yes, they have no problem with lying or bragging about how humble they are, and considering how Jim Bob treated his dad after the stroke, put his mom to work in the laundry room, and then there's Jill who would literally exploit her own mother to get a few dollars but leaves the real work of caring for her to her quadriplegic sister.    But divorce which is LEGAL is a HUGE no no in their world.

• Applause 7
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Wait a minute. Some one fixed rods RV? 

If you’re referring to my comment about which poor suckers bought them a new generator and fixed the oil leak, I was being facetious, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Jill managed to rope someone into doing just that!

17 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

If you’re referring to my comment about which poor suckers bought them a new generator and fixed the oil leak, I was being facetious, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Jill managed to rope someone into doing just that!

IIRC, something like this did happen years ago when they were on the road. Not only did someone drive miles to help them out, somehow they also got free groceries.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 7

As dysfunctional as the Rod household is to us, it's all Kaylee has ever known, so I don't think her main reason to get married is to get out of the house.  It's been said that she wanted a husband who lived close to her family.  

I think she just wanted to find "love" and be "loved".  Have a man who doted on her and she could admire him, like she was taught.  To be a wife, run her own household and become a mother of a baby girl.  

• Sad 12
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:
4 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

As dysfunctional as the Rod household is to us, it's all Kaylee has ever known, so I don't think her main reason to get married is to get out of the house.  It's been said that she wanted a husband who lived close to her family.  

I think she just wanted to find "love" and be "loved".  Have a man who doted on her and she could admire him, like she was taught.  To be a wife, run her own household and become a mother of a baby girl.  

“It was said” that Kaylee wanted to marry a farmer years ago. Recently Jill’s story changed to say Kaylee wanted someone close to home. Both statements were made by Jill, not Kaylee. Jill lies.

• Sad 7
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

I wonder if anyone in the family knows what is love and how to give and receive real love?

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

Their wedding date is November 5th? Isn't that Jinger and Jeremy's anniversary date? And Spurgeon's birthday? I wonder if Jill picked that date for (and Kaylee) and Jonathan because she still has her panties in a twist because people got mad at her for showing J&J's wedding invitation (was it) online before their wedding?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

People on Reddit were making fun of his dirty fingernails. Dave often has really dirty fingernails. So now Jill writes why her precious hubster has dirty hands.

I don’t believe David fixed the RV by himself.

And Jill is modest yet paints her 4 year olds nails… not very modest by Jill’s standards. 

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

People on Reddit were making fun of his dirty fingernails. Dave often has really dirty fingernails. So now Jill writes why her precious hubster has dirty hands.

I don’t believe David fixed the RV by himself.

And Jill is modest yet paints her 4 year olds nails… not very modest by Jill’s standards. 

Maybe he doesn't bathe or wash his hands very often. He wears that same pair of dirty jeans a lot. 

If David were really the great father that Jill claims, he wouldn't dip up so much food at every meal that there's nothing left for the waifs.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Another FU Internetz!!!!11 post. 

I have never seen DBD interacting with his kids. Ever.

Interestingly, Jill's (hundredth) homage to DBD doesn't actually say he's interacting with the kids. He "prays passionately" for them, which is talking about them, not to them and doesn't even require that they're in the same room when it happens. Also he "protects them". From what, exactly? The kids are so sheltered that they'll never take part in most risky behaviour that kids get up to on their own, because they're never allowed to be on their own. The kids do plenty of unsafe things (swimming in clothes, swimming in culverts, driving without any sleep) but they're either encouraged to or it's planned by BME and (one assumes) Dave. The only thing I can see is that Dave will "protect" the kids when someone objects to their god-bothering by either haranguing the heathen himself or (more likely) letting Jill do it while nodding along and grunting sweetly and supportively at the appropriate moments.

Or, ya know, he's too busy watching continental drift on the map and doesn't even know his children's names. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 4
  • Love 18

I assume that's a screenshot from a video of Jill shilling her book. Otherwise, I might think she has thyroid problems with bulging eyes. Another possibility is she's in a manic phase. 

I hope both Jill and David of the swollen gray fingers are getting regular medical care. SEVERELY quadriplegic sister Amy Foster does not need seven or eight more kids to take care of in addition to her own and her ill mother. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

If Jill and Dave die all the kids will go to Nurthan. And Foster family will say no thanks to raising 10 more kids.

That could certainly affect Nathan's desire to produce an additional ten of his own. Nurie would probably go along with whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

If Jill and Dave die all the kids will go to Nurthan. And Foster family will say no thanks to raising 10 more kids.

Nurie will have to up her grifting game! She'll need to be more aggressive and less "Yaaaasssss!" 

• LOL 4

I would bet a KFC meal for 2 that both Dave and Jill have high blood pressure and at least pre diabetes . They both have swollen hands and feet. Perhaps Jill and Fave Dave should eat as much as their offspring aka 500 calories a day.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 6
  • Love 4