Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Oh, I forgot Nurie's green and purple cake at the shower. It probably stained everyone's mouth and fingers. Jill didn't need much food at the wedding reception because she got all the Rods invited to the Kellers' anniversary party that evening, a party where real food was served. 

Kaylee probably doesn't care how tacky the shower or even the wedding is. She's been around tacky her entire life.  Her new status as a married woman will make it all worthwhile. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Don’t give Jill any ideas 🤣. She’d totally do a wedding potluck.

I would be surprised if it was not a potluck.  Or at least several "friends" bringing the food.  BME doesn't have a budget for food.

• Sad 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Most of the wedding budget will go towards Jill’s new dress. Based on shower colors it will be pink. Kaylee can just wear the dress she had at her bridal shower. 

I hope Kaylee gets a new dress for her wedding. This will be her only party in her life just for her (and Jon). 

• Like 6
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Most of the wedding budget will go towards Jill’s new dress. Based on shower colors it will be pink. Kaylee can just wear the dress she had at her bridal shower. 

I hope Kaylee gets a new dress for her wedding. This will be her only party in her life just for her (and Jon). 

Don't be so sure. Remember Nurie's wedding with both BME and DBD walking her down the aisle, squishing her? Jill made Nurie's wedding all about Jill. 

• Sad 11
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've been to both bridal showers and wedding receptions that were semi-potluck.  It's what you do when your lower middle class.  Your bridesmaids and family divide up the duties of a shower.  Aunt Sue offers to bring her "famous" chicken salad, Aunt Mary brings a couple of homemade desserts, and Aunt Becky can't cook for shit so she's in charge of drinks.  The hostess may spring for a deli tray or the "rich" bridesmaid is in charge of that.  Someone else brings over the paper products and decorations a couple of days before or will show up early to help.

Weddings don't have to be huge, expensive affairs.  Some of yinz have never been to a wedding reception where the best part of the victuals was the cookie table.  

I sorta would not mind a church pot luck wedding reception ( not going to happen at 65) everyone bring the favorite dish...I mean I know some ladies who are fantastic cooks.

• Like 7
  • Love 5

We went to a friend's wedding in the 70's.  The invitation said no gifts or cards would be accepted, and the couple instead wanted potluck dishes for the afterparty.  It was hippie-ish (well, it was the 70's!) and worked out fine.

I am sure Jilldo wanted gifts for Kaylee (which she would probably take some of, for herself) AND whatever food she could talk the church ladies into bringing.  

• Like 7
2 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I don’t know, but he has a look of trepidation on his face IMO.  I wonder if he’s having SEVERE second thoughts about this whole marriage thing with a Rod daughter?

Hopefully.   He is probably thinking about living in that safety hazard basement apartment and thinking "I could go home and farm with my folks."    Hopefully he takes Kaylee with him.   of course, he could also be reasoning, if I stay here and stay poor, they can only hit me up for so many meals.   But if I move, they will VISIT and I will be expected to pay for everything.   Such a tough choice to make.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

We went to a friend's wedding in the 70's.  The invitation said no gifts or cards would be accepted, and the couple instead wanted potluck dishes for the afterparty.  It was hippie-ish (well, it was the 70's!) and worked out fine.

Exactly.  I've been to receptions where the main dish and cake were provided by the couple and starters and sides by the guests.  It was the same hippie-ish 70s and one where I was asked to cook fried chicken.  The couple did drop off the chicken to be cooked.  :)  I hope Jill doesn't try to sink below Nurie's wedding reception on any of the kids and maybe just maybe she'll buy the bride a new dress this time around.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, charmed1 said:

The cake would be really pretty without the part written by a first grader. The hearts look like two attached kidneys.

You said it so nicely. My thought was it looked like ass. 

11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill said Jonathan likes Winnie the Pooh.

So now not-Nurie HAS to like Winnie too. 

• LOL 8
15 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

You said it so nicely. My thought was it looked like ass. 

So now not-Nurie HAS to like Winnie too. 

Why do I feel like Jonathan liked Winnie the Pooh when he was like 6, but that's all Jill paid attention to?

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I don’t know, but he has a look of trepidation on his face IMO.  I wonder if he’s having SEVERE second thoughts about this whole marriage thing with a Rod daughter?

Who can blame him? Where are his parents? I wonder if they follow Jill on SM and are horrified.

3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Jill usually has a big bowl of potato chips at these things.  She seems to think emptying the bag into a bowl is fancy.

She could at least buy a fancier bowl. Lots to be found at Goodwill. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Who can blame him? Where are his parents? I wonder if they follow Jill on SM and are horrified.

His family pretty much scrubbed their social media presence after the courtship was announced. Make of that what you will.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Bagel bites were one of the approved latchkey kid snacks I was allowed to make for myself before my mom got home. I can’t imagine serving them to adults in 2022.

Reminds me of the Bates buying dollar store pizza rolls, eating them after dark, and calling that a party!

2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Don't be so sure. Remember Nurie's wedding with both BME and DBD walking her down the aisle, squishing her? Jill made Nurie's wedding all about Jill. 

She’ll probably be thrilled just to be getting married and escaping Jill and the overcrowded, noisy  barndo. And the constant camera in her face.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Hopefully.   He is probably thinking about living in that safety hazard basement apartment and thinking "I could go home and farm with my folks."    Hopefully he takes Kaylee with him.   of course, he could also be reasoning, if I stay here and stay poor, they can only hit me up for so many meals.   But if I move, they will VISIT and I will be expected to pay for everything.   Such a tough choice to make.

I really, really hope his parents are lobbying for him and Kaylee to move back there after the wedding. Jill will have to suck it up and deal with it.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

She could at least buy a fancier bowl. Lots to be found at Goodwill. 

Heck, she could even find some decent-looking serving dishes at the dollar store.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Many sweet friends brought food and fixings and all worked together in the church kitchen to prepare the food.

The women worked in the kitchen.   The men stood around drinking fruit punch and talking about manly things.   Like excavators and paintball.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 15
19 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Here you go!  (I love this so much)

Extended clip:   *it seems you need to open it in a new window for sound.  It's worth it!

Thank you, thank you so much.  Had to show it to my sister.  But, where does Mamho come from?  Because she looks like a ‘ho with that makeup and hair?

Edited by sheshark
  • LOL 14
1 hour ago, sheshark said:

Thank you, thank you so much.  Had to show it to my sister.  But, where does Mamho come from?  Because she looks like a ‘ho with that makeup and hair?

Mahmo is the way Tim pronounces mama 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Who knows? Unless I meet Jill IRL I will not know what she’s like!

I think I saw the post in a FB group I'm in. It talked about the Rods going to church in WV. BME and DBD ignoring the kids, Jill's requests for presents celebrating Janessa's birth (she likes shiny, glittery things). Kids with dark circles under their eyes taking care of the littles. 

• Sad 12
12 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Reminds me of the Bates buying dollar store pizza rolls, eating them after dark, and calling that a party!

She’ll probably be thrilled just to be getting married and escaping Jill and the overcrowded, noisy  barndo. And the constant camera in her face.

From what MeMe has shared on her social media, Kaylee prayed for a guy who wanted to live close to her family and supposedly, Jonathan was praying for a gal who wanted to live close to her family.  It was one of the reasons they knew that this was the person that God had chosen for them.  She made it sound like Jonathan couldn't wait to get away from his family and be with Kaylee's ... and it does seem like that is what happened.  

I'm sure Kaylee suffered greatly when Nurie married and moved off and it was stressful for her.  Her best friend gone.  She probably just didn't want to go through something like that again.  I'm sure her mother also told her how hard it was on Nurie and how Nurie wished she didn't have to move away.  

We all wish that these children would "wake up" and see how awful their mom and dad are and how stunned they have been kept, but they do not know any better.  

That clip of Tim asking his mom to take his picture is just all kinds of sad.  She has full control over her kids, yes, even Nurie and Nathan.  I don't think Nathan see's anything wrong with Nurie's family.  He is certainly very willing to go along with them and does not seem like he has shown Nurie a different way.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 14
  • Applause 3
9 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

From what MeMe has shared on her social media, Kaylee prayed for a guy who wanted to live close to her family and supposedly, Jonathan was praying for a gal who wanted to live close to her family.  It was one of the reasons they knew that this was the person that God had chosen for them.  She made it sound like Jonathan couldn't wait to get away from his family and be with Kaylee's ... and it does seem like that is what happened.  

I'm sure Kaylee suffered greatly when Nurie married and moved off and it was stressful for her.  Her best friend gone.  She probably just didn't want to go through something like that again.  I'm sure her mother also told her how hard it was on Nurie and how Nurie wished she didn't have to move away.  

We all wish that these children would "wake up" and see how awful their mom and dad are and how stunned they have been kept, but they do not know any better.  

That clip of Tim asking his mom to take his picture is just all kinds of sad.  She has full control over her kids, yes, even Nurie and Nathan.  I don't think Nathan see's anything wrong with Nurie's family.  He is certainly very willing to go along with them and does not seem like he has shown Nurie a different way.  

She also said previously that Kaylee’s dream was to marry a farmer. Jonathan and his parents lived/live on a farm! Maybe they’re being called to return to the farm, lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

She also said previously that Kaylee’s dream was to marry a farmer. Jonathan and his parents lived/live on a farm! Maybe they’re being called to return to the farm, lol.

Doubtful. Jill is going to keep Kaylee shackled. Jonathan doesn't seem to have a backbone, so it's perfect for her.

• Sad 17
15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've been to both bridal showers and wedding receptions that were semi-potluck.  It's what you do when your lower middle class.  Your bridesmaids and family divide up the duties of a shower.  Aunt Sue offers to bring her "famous" chicken salad, Aunt Mary brings a couple of homemade desserts, and Aunt Becky can't cook for shit so she's in charge of drinks.  The hostess may spring for a deli tray or the "rich" bridesmaid is in charge of that.  Someone else brings over the paper products and decorations a couple of days before or will show up early to help.

Weddings don't have to be huge, expensive affairs.  Some of yinz have never been to a wedding reception where the best part of the victuals was the cookie table.  

I went to several of just these kinds of potluck weddings back in the 1970’s and 80’s.  They were cousins and guests didn’t actually bring food but many Aunts provided potluck type foods. Back then, fancy expensive weddings and receptions were only on tv!

But Jill wouldn’t cook anything for her own kids’ wedding receptions. Certainly she would expect all of the church ladies to cook and bring food.  After all, they should just be happy to be invited to a JillRod  show!

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

I’ve seen too many episodes of Hoarders to ever feel comfortable eating potluck food again at this point. 😳 And these people don’t take Covid or any other contagious disease seriously, so that’s a another reason not to eat anything they make.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I’ve seen too many episodes of Hoarders to ever feel comfortable eating potluck food again at this point. 😳 And these people don’t take Covid or any other contagious disease seriously, so that’s a another reason not to eat anything they make.

We've also seen photos of Jill's holiday cooking which is more than enough reason for anyone to avoid any dish made by her.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ranchgirl said:

Jonathan was praying for a gal who wanted to live close to her family.  It was

How conveeeeenieeeeent.   

I seriously wonder how bad Jonathan's family is that he is choosing to let Jill run his life instead.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

How conveeeeenieeeeent.   

I seriously wonder how bad Jonathan's family is that he is choosing to let Jill run his life instead.   

Yeah, I don’t believe for a minute that Jonathan ever said that. 

• Thanks 5
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

That clip of TimBits hunched in the sand asking "MamHo" to take his "pikchur" looks like the perfect opening scene to a new Netflix true-crime documentary coming soon to your favorite streaming device.

Edit: good gravy, the YouTube clip kept playing over and over until I could scroll up and shut it off, it sounded like my computer was possessed.

Me too! I opened the tab back up later and this disembodied voice was droning on about the pikchur. I believe my statement was "What is this fresh hell?"

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 13
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think I saw the post in a FB group I'm in. It talked about the Rods going to church in WV. BME and DBD ignoring the kids, Jill's requests for presents celebrating Janessa's birth (she likes shiny, glittery things). Kids with dark circles under their eyes taking care of the littles. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Love 1

Jill probably wants them close because it's easier to manipulate them into doing her will if they are nearby. Plus, she has very gleefully in the past admitted that (and Kaylee) was the one they all picked on. Can't do that if she moves as far away as Nurie.

• Like 2
  • Sad 11
4 minutes ago, beckie said:

Jill probably wants them close because it's easier to manipulate them into doing her will if they are nearby. Plus, she has very gleefully in the past admitted that (and Kaylee) was the one they all picked on. Can't do that if she moves as far away as Nurie.

I remember siblings taping a sign on Kaylee's back. If it wasn't Kick Me, it was something along those lines. 

• Sad 11
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They were still pretty new to Ohio when Nurie got married. She got the Sydney Dingus cakes, but it was unclear who provided the rest of the vittles.

I would give big bucks to know what happened to the friendship that the Rods had with the Dingus family.  Also, remember the family who lived in the big old home with the grand, winding staircase and they invited the Rods for a visit?  Remember the family who had the Rods over after church one night and they played games?  What, exactly, happened to sever ties between the Rods and those families?  It seems like every new friendship that involves the Rods is a one-and-done.  I’m just very curious to know what really happens to make it that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, farmgal4 said:

I would give big bucks to know what happened to the friendship that the Rods had with the Dingus family.  Also, remember the family who lived in the big old home with the grand, winding staircase and they invited the Rods for a visit?  Remember the family who had the Rods over after church one night and they played games?  What, exactly, happened to sever ties between the Rods and those families?  It seems like every new friendship that involves the Rods is a one-and-done.  I’m just very curious to know what really happens to make it that way.

'Friendship' with the Rods is a one way street.  Once their sweet friends stop giving them free meals or half a cow, Jill has no use for them.  Same thing if those same sweet friends ask a favor from the Rods.  Jill has no interest in people who expect give and take in relationships.

• Like 3
  • Applause 10
  • Love 5