Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

It's their house but they're not even engaged?

Is her name on the paperwork?

There is nothing wrong with an unmarried couple buying a house in the real world.  In the fundie world, it just seems a bit fast.

I have the same questions. “They” bought a house? Did Heidi’s parents contribute to the cost? Is her name on the deed? They aren’t even engaged yet. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 8
12 minutes ago, louannems said:

I am absolutely horrified to hear Heidi’s voice.  I’m sorry, but no one who still sounds 9 years old is ready for marriage.

She sounds really young! I can empathize. Even as a Mom of teenagers, back in the days of landlines, strangers would always ask to talk to my Mom when I answered the phone! I forced myself to watch the whole video and I believe at one point she said they liked 2 houses, but they felt that God liked this one better, so Tim bought it. I don't think her name is on the paperwork. She seems like a sweet, cheerful young woman. I do feel it must be nice for Tim to finally have a woman in his life who actually cares about him, who actually likes him. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

It's their house but they're not even engaged?

Is her name on the paperwork?

There is nothing wrong with an unmarried couple buying a house in the real world.  In the fundie world, it just seems a bit fast.

The Holmes County website has the house/property in Timothy's name only.  He got a decent amount of property. The house is on .60 acre and he also got the vacant lot next to it, which is .71 acre.

It is about 20 min from the barndo.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 19
15 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I have to say, @crazy8s, I appreciate the heck out of you for doing some of the heavy lifting for us.  Esp things like having watched Philip's bible college sermons.  🙌

well, thank you

I didn't always listen to the entire sermon. The beginning and ending announcements were the interesting parts. Some times I let the whole sermon  play while I was doing other things, so it was mostly background noise. Also Brother Decker was not horrible to listen to for the most part. The president guy, brother Thayer was always a total ass though.

I haven't watched much of Phillip's new "college". Phillip sang with the choir at day 3 of the tent revival. It is probably such a relief for him to just go up there and sing whatever song and go sit back down. No introduction of the entire family, including ones not even there. No embarrassing "fun facts" disclosed. No backstory of his heart for missions in Hungary. No grift pitch from mama and/or daddy, etc

• Like 13
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

She sounds really young! I can empathize. Even as a Mom of teenagers, back in the days of landlines, strangers would always ask to talk to my Mom when I answered the phone! I forced myself to watch the whole video and I believe at one point she said they liked 2 houses, but they felt that God liked this one better, so Tim bought it. I don't think her name is on the paperwork. She seems like a sweet, cheerful young woman. I do feel it must be nice for Tim to finally have a woman in his life who actually cares about him, who actually likes him. 

Because we know how his mother feels about him. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

Jill posted several pics of Nurie's boys. In 4 of the 6 pics it's just Nemo. In the one with the boys together,  it looks like Nemo fell on top of (and Newmie) and the baby is clearly unhappy. But this is the one they publish. Shades of family history repeating itself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Again……

E47EE692-8D6C-498E-A762-C7C33A8FAFF1.jpeg

.Screenshot from the video:

331952BC-D71E-4E63-866F-E79A2BD20924.jpeg

Its all they have to look forward to. 

1 hour ago, Turquoise said:

Jill posted several pics of Nurie's boys. In 4 of the 6 pics it's just Nemo. In the one with the boys together,  it looks like Nemo fell on top of (and Newmie) and the baby is clearly unhappy. But this is the one they publish. Shades of family history repeating itself.

Instead of comforting your infant and letting you toddler know, gently, that isn't how to treat others.... its a photo op and funny. Poor baby. 

• Sad 20
27 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And these chose to have their wedding in the printshop? I thought JillR just LOVES watching her living room be filled with kids and toys.

That or anywhere in the acre of yard they have to play in. God was certainly protecting Olivia, since her table runner/veil thing didn't get lit on fire by the candle on the table even though it went right over it several times, as did Sofia's sleeve.😬

Those girls actually kissed those filthy brooms🤮 Their broom kisses looked more passionate and loving than many fundie couple wedding kisses we have seen!

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 8
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Again……

E47EE692-8D6C-498E-A762-C7C33A8FAFF1.jpeg

.Screenshot from the video:

331952BC-D71E-4E63-866F-E79A2BD20924.jpeg

I dressed up as a bride at age 5 or 6.  The difference was, it was my idea, and I didn't have fundie parents harping at me that my only option was to get married and have a dozen kids.  The lack of choice in these kids' lives is so sad.

• Like 20
  • Sad 4
20 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I dressed up as a bride at age 5 or 6.  The difference was, it was my idea, and I didn't have fundie parents harping at me that my only option was to get married and have a dozen kids.  The lack of choice in these kids' lives is so sad.

I dont think I ever played bride. 

• Like 14

It must have been very exciting for tim getting his own place. Some joy in his sad existence. 

To say the video was awful is being kind but we got to see the inside of the house and god knows every tree surrounding it. 

• Like 18

A thought - possibly the video of playing wedding is again Jill dropping a hint to tim and heidi's engagement without actually announcing it.

This is actually the third video broom wedding. First shortly after Nurie's wedding, then just after Kaylee's wedding last fall. hmmm

Olivia is 11 1/2 yrs old and playing let's marry a broom for at least the 3rd time.☹️

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 15
7 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

A thought - possibly the video of playing wedding is again Jill dropping a hint to tim and heidi's engagement without actually announcing it.

This is actually the third video broom wedding. First shortly after Nurie's wedding, then just after Kaylee's wedding last fall. hmmm

Olivia is 11 1/2 yrs old and playing let's marry a broom for at least the 3rd time.☹️

Want to bet Jill came up with the idea? 

• Like 14
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, Turquoise said:

As Jill favored her first born now she's favoring her first born grandchild even though it appears that she scares him to death.  I guess we could call Newmie "not Nemo."

• Like 3
  • Sad 8
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Heidi's voice! Nails on a chalkboard. 🤪

I thought it was a computerized voice until I actually saw her moving her mouth. Can you imagine being trapped in a room while she and Timothy are talking?

ETA: I wonder what’s holding up the engagement? Tim is obviously financially ok since he bought a house and they were able to furnish it decently. 

Edited by YupItsMe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12

For those of you familiar with the Bates, but don't read their threads...

A Bates son, Trace, recently married and had a child with a daughter of German immigrants. The family, 2 Fundy parents and 8 kids/kidults have been in the US for 12 years on deferred status. The parents have been claiming religious persecution because they were not allowed to homeschool their kids in Germany. They have now been told to get prepared to self deport in 30 days.

The Romeike family and the Bates families are going nuts on SM asking for help.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 13
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A Bates son, Trace, recently married and had a child with a daughter of German immigrants. The family, 2 Fundy parents and 8 kids/kidults have been in the US for 12 years on deferred status. The parents have been claiming religious persecution because they were not allowed to homeschool their kids in Germany. They have now been told to get prepared to self deport in 30 days.

Almost 15 years, actually. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
16 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Olivia is 11 1/2 yrs old and playing performing let's marry a broom for at least the 3rd time.

• Sad 17
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Some German fundies tried this reason for asylum a few years ago, and it didn't work, thank goodness.

• Applause 5
  • Useful 6
22 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Is homeschooling altogether forbidden in Germany? Or is it that they have academic standards that must be met with a secular curriculum that makes the Fundies come to the USA?

It's entirely forbidden for anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 8
24 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Is homeschooling altogether forbidden in Germany? Or is it that they have academic standards that must be met with a secular curriculum that makes the Fundies come to the USA?

For the most part, yes.  Children between the ages of 6 and 18 must attend an accredited school.  There are faith-based schools which qualify, but they must be accredited just like public school.  The school cannot be in anyone's private home.

There are some limited exceptions made, mostly for children with severe medical issues that make it difficult to attend school with other kids.  Online schooling is also not allowed.  If a kid is educated outside of the regular school system, there is strict oversight and a list of subjects that have to be part of the curriculum.

Since the Romeikes have indicated that they feel that any sort of sex education is not appropriate and find any subject not strictly based on literal Christian interpretation of the Bible to be sinful; it's a pretty safe bet that, even if Germany allowed homeschooling, their particular brand of 'education' would not have passed muster.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 12
  • Useful 12