Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I wonder if by this time next year we'll have seen a repeat of Jill going ballistic on social media over the college's unfair! billing! for his tuition and fees. Like she did when Tim was at Moody Aviation college. 

You are so right! We will undoubtedly hear JillR railing against the college and probably against whoever Phillip's employer is too. I don't know what attraction Hungary holds for Phillip, but I doubt that he'll ever set foot there.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Wonder if any of these kids will figure out a way to escape, or if they even understand that a better life is possible. :(

I think at least one of these kids has to know their lifestyle is total bullshit. According to that one Reddit poster who claims to know them, Renee is the one. Even nutty Rachel Dolezal recognized her fundie upbringing was insane and eventually escaped. We know the oldest two Rodlets are totally onboard, but maybe there’s some hope for the younger ones. Someone in that family has to have some intellectual curiosity beyond the Bible.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, SmallTownMom said:

I know this isn't nice and that looks aren't everything, but Jill, you keep calling your boys handsome and precious and sweet.  Sorry, but I don't think any of your malnourished brood is good looking.  The one girl who was pictured in a new red and white outfit the other week is cute, but I think all of your kids look too much like your "hunk" to be considered attractive.  The two youngest always remind me of the scene in the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol" where the ghost of Christmas present (I think, not sure which ghost) whips open his robe to show two skinny little waifs. 

Ghost of Christmas Present/Second Spirit - The waifs are named Ignorance and Want. Sadly, also fitting for the rod girls

image.png.aa88b560a07f2608d7c5a16a9fe17c63.png

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Ghost of Christmas Present/Second Spirit - The waifs are named Ignorance and Want. Sadly, also fitting for the rod girls

image.png.aa88b560a07f2608d7c5a16a9fe17c63.png

They do look like Dave’s kids. The ears and very thin. Definitely look like Rod offspring. (I know it’s from a movie)

• LOL 1
29 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Look how uncomfortable Gabe looks. Hands in pockets. Did not even hug his dad. Does HUNK even love his kids?

Basically someone else threw Gabe a party of some kind. 

CA536B98-C81A-46DC-AF7E-D517D42844B5.jpeg

Hunk is holding up that cake! For him that is the most important job of the night. I'm sure he ate most of it. 

• LOL 7

If you watch the video, the cake was already 1/3 gone when David presented it to Gabriel.

So, for his 16th birthday, Gabe got a tent revival of old folks singing to him, 2/3 of a cake, a bowling alley talk on purity and and an eagle figurine or "purity eagle". what a lucky guy 🙄

(the redditors are having great laughs over Samuel's "purity moose")

• Sad 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

If you watch the video, the cake was already 1/3 gone when David presented it to Gabriel.

So, for his 16th birthday, Gabe got a tent revival of old folks singing to him, 2/3 of a cake, a bowling alley talk on purity and and an eagle figurine or "purity eagle". what a lucky guy 🙄

What a really sad birthday but does he really know any better? No. That makes it sadder. He could at least have had a whole cake! Maybe Hunk ate that third? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8
(edited)
27 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

And there’s only a numeral one candle. Not even a 6 to go with it. I think they managed to find six regular birthday candles to stick next to the number one. I’m sure his parents will convince him that he’s Jesus’ number one guy. A half-eaten cake and a leftover candle that somebody probably dug out of some drawer at some church revival your parents dragged you to. Happy Birthday. Also, Gabriel looks like he’s 12 years old, not 16. I don’t mean he’s just of small stature. Simone Biles looks her age. Zach Rolloff has always looked his age. I could’ve sworn Gabriel was only 12 or 13.  

Edited by charmed1
14 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

And there’s only a numeral one candle. Not even a 6 to go with it. I think they managed to find six regular birthday candles to stick next to the number one. I’m sure his parents will convince him that he’s Jesus’ number one guy. A half-eaten cake and a leftover candle that somebody probably dug out of some drawer at some church revival your parents dragged you to. Happy Birthday. Also, Gabriel looks like he’s 12 years old, not 16. I don’t mean he’s just of small stature. Simone Biles looks her age. Zach Rolloff has always looked his age. I could’ve sworn Gabriel was only 12 or 13.  

I think all the children are stunted in some kind of way. Mentally for sure. 

• Love 14
57 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

the 1/2 cake of the potluck table at a tent revival is even lower than Timothy's "birthday cake" made of a plate of store brand little debbie type cakes.

I listened to the video and as soon as Gabe blows out the candles, david sets the cake behind gabe and the blowhard revival preacher launches into a recap of a sermon he did a few weeks back about the 5 things people wish right after they die.....

I suspect the preacher got Gabe's bday and the 1/2 eaten cake ceremony pushed on him without warning. seems like a jill thing to do.

The Bible College is set up with classes in the mornings and the afternoons free for part-time jobs. There are a lot of different subjects crammed into each semester. 

Phillip will have to work to stay in school, and he will have to go to class. He'll have a commute each day. Jill will grill him every evening so she can have the vicarious experience of going to college and make sure he isn't making friends with students in the church secretary program. There are Sunday services at Joy Baptist and all those late-night religious rants at home. He'll have to go on family playdates and pose for BME's photos too.

He probably should try to work in some time to study. 

Not only will the lack of money and decent precollege education do him in, poor Phil is going to drop from exhaustion, a condition neither Jill nor David will be able to recognize.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

The Bible College is set up with classes in the mornings and the afternoons free for part-time jobs. There are a lot of different subjects crammed into each semester. 

Phillip will have to work to stay in school, and he will have to go to class. He'll have a commute each day. Jill will grill him every evening so she can have the vicarious experience of going to college and make sure he isn't making friends with students in the church secretary program. There are Sunday services at Joy Baptist and all those late-night religious rants at home. He'll have to go on family playdates and pose for BME's photos too.

He probably should try to work in some time to study. 

Not only will the lack of money and decent precollege education do him in, poor Phil is going to drop from exhaustion, a condition neither Jill nor David will be able to recognize.

He is never going to make it living in that circus that he lives in. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Only 4 sons you’d think the Rod parents would have saved $ for college.

If they had real jobs, at least David, and didn't spend any drop of money the get on junk and dinner dates. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Well sure looks like Dave was in love with that desert. I bet he enjoyed eating that. 

5551082F-30E1-48B8-B5D8-C7A0D874C92D.jpeg

David looks at that cake with more warmth and love than he’s ever shown to any of his family.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Only 4 sons you’d think the Rod parents would have saved $ for college.

Oh pulease. They barely feed their kids; they are not going to save money for something silly like college. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 13
Just now, iwantcookies said:

Gabriel does look 13. Wonder what his pediatrician doctor says about his health!

I doubt Gabriel has seen a pediatrician doctor since he was a baby. I think the only Rod kid to grace a doctor's doors is Janessa. And I don't think she's been to a doctor since she was a toddler.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

the 1/2 cake of the potluck table at a tent revival is even lower than Timothy's "birthday cake" made of a plate of store brand little debbie type cakes.

I listened to the video and as soon as Gabe blows out the candles, david sets the cake behind gabe and the blowhard revival preacher launches into a recap of a sermon he did a few weeks back about the 5 things people wish right after they die.....

I suspect the preacher got Gabe's bday and the 1/2 eaten cake ceremony pushed on him without warning. seems like a jill thing to do.

I couldn’t believe the preacher gave a hellfire and brimstone mini-sermon during Gabriel’s birthday “festivities” and then, as an afterthought, wished him a happy birthday. 🤦🏼‍♀️ These people truly are the f’ing scum of the earth.  Oh, and WTH decided that it was appropriate to serve an already half-eaten cake at a birthday “celebration”?  You seriously couldn’t make this shit up.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Don’t forget that “hard preaching” was also part of the fun.

• LOL 3
22 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Don’t forget that “hard preaching” was also part of the fun.

What even is hard preaching?  It doesn't sound like anything I'd want to endure.  Ugh.

• Love 4
(edited)

Hard preaching is preaching fundie style with the "hard truths" from the KJV.  Soft teaching is for those "lily livered liberal" churches.  You know the ones teaching love thy neighbor and take care of the poor.  

BTW hardpreaching.com is owned by none other than Steve Anderson of the NIFB that many of you will recognize.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 9
  • Love 13
42 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Hard preaching is preaching fundie style with the "hard truths" from the KJV.  Soft teaching is for those "lily livered liberal" churches.  You know the ones teaching love thy neighbor and take care of the poor.  

BTW hardpreaching.com is owned by none other than Steve Anderson of the NIFB that many of you will recognize.  

The Pissing Preacher! Not surprised that he'd scoop up that domain. I was so scared of him that when I was in the hood of Faithful Word Bible Church I took like two seconds out of the car to snap pics of the front door. I needed proof that I was there! 😂

Hard preaching makes me 🙄, but paranoid Steve coming after me with a shotgun was a frightening thought.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

So they love Jesus so much but hate what he preached?

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Liddy52 said:

Regarding the partially eaten birthday cake, I imagine the scenario went something like this: Jill manages to "drop" a "hint" into her conversation with some of the ladies that today is precious Gabriel's birthday but that she has been so overwhelmed preparing for the revival that she has not had time to prepare the usual birthday feast complete with a 3 layer birthday cake that she usually makes for birthdays.  But, she notes, "Sweet Gabriel doesn't mind because he has been fasting so his brother Phillip can go to Hungary as a missionary. That is if the Lord just provides the money he needs for tuition,  gas, car, gifts for BME, etc."  However, one or several of the church ladies have caught on to her grifting ways. So, they grab up the partially eaten cake, scrounge through the church kitchen drawers and find some partially burned candles. They stick the candles in the cake and place it in Hunks hands. Hunk is immediately mesmerized by the sight of the cake and forgets his lines in the grifting skit. The ladies, proudly point out that now Gabe has a cake. The pastor snaps up the opportunity to preach another hellfire and damnation sermon. And that is how Gabriel got a half eaten birthday cake. 

Good way to get the older people to press a few dollars into his hand too.

Speaking of the pediatrician doctor, I see that Jill also mentioned that it was Phillip’s last travel trip with them. 😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They seem to focus on the Old Testament and Paul's writings. They tend to ignore the Gospels.

Yes, they tend to focus on the scarier parts.  If Stephen King was to rewrite the Gospel with an emphasis on the horrific, they'd be all over it.

• LOL 11
11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Because that's all that was on the potluck table? 

Exactly.  BME must've been too busy campaigning for tuition money and a car for Philly and forgot to mention that another of her spawn needed a birthday cake, right then and there.  By the time she remembered, the potluck was well underway and there wasn't an intact cake for her to grift, so they grabbed what they could and pretended it was a planned birthday celebration.  God forbid, Jill run out to Costco and grab a cheap (but very delicious) cake there.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Exactly.  BME must've been too busy campaigning for tuition money and a car for Philly and forgot to mention that another of her spawn needed a birthday cake, right then and there.  By the time she remembered, the potluck was well underway and there wasn't an intact cake for her to grift, so they grabbed what they could and pretended it was a planned birthday celebration.  God forbid, Jill run out to Costco and grab a cheap (but very delicious) cake there.

Jill and David don't spend on their children when there are other people to do that. After all, Jill needed fresh clothes and jewelry to wear at the tent revival. 

Poor Gabe. That half-eaten cake was such an embarrassing afterthought.

I doubt Jill shops at Costco, even if someone buys her membership. She might end up accidentally buying sufficient amounts of food to feed her little army, and she doesn't want the kids to get used to full stomachs. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

I've been reading the posts here about Gabriel's birthday cake (and Jessa's birthday doughnut) and I am wondering what y'all would say about my family.   My grandfather's funeral fell on my 28th birthday.  I have pictures of my extended family giving me a makeshift birthday cake scrounged up from whatever was on hand at the hall we had the post-funeral meal.  There was one big candle sitting on a piece of cake.  I was completely fine with this because (and this may come to a shock to some) I do not like cake especially grocery store sheet cake.  The cake itself is dry and the frosting is too sweet.  Give me pie or baklava or brownies sans nuts or doughnuts.  Really give me anything but cake.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've been reading the posts here about Gabriel's birthday cake (and Jessa's birthday doughnut) and I am wondering what y'all would say about my family.   My grandfather's funeral fell on my 28th birthday.  I have pictures of my extended family giving me a makeshift birthday cake scrounged up from whatever was on hand at the hall we had the post-funeral meal.  There was one big candle sitting on a piece of cake.  I was completely fine with this because (and this may come to a shock to some) I do not like cake especially grocery store sheet cake.  The cake itself is dry and the frosting is too sweet.  Give me pie or baklava or brownies sans nuts or doughnuts.  Really give me anything but cake.  

I don't think less of your family for doing a makeshift cake for a 28-year-old on the very day of that funeral. And it sounds like you were okay with it anyway. 

I suppose JillR thought it would be nice to have one of her kids honored during the fellowshipping, and since they'd already taken Gabriel out for his Big Purity Talk at the bowling alley or wherever, this was merely an extra thing. A way for the Rods to grab more time up front of the group at the revival and hang out with the big important headliner preacher. 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I don't think less of your family for doing a makeshift cake for a 28-year-old on the very day of that funeral. And it sounds like you were okay with it anyway. 

I suppose JillR thought it would be nice to have one of her kids honored during the fellowshipping, and since they'd already taken Gabriel out for his Big Purity Talk at the bowling alley or wherever, this was merely an extra thing. A way for the Rods to grab more time up front of the group at the revival and hang out with the big important headliner preacher. 

I agree, funerals take a lot out of family. Jill has no excuse. 

• Love 13

Didn’t Dave have his 50th party along with someone else’s? Aka the other birthday person paid for 2 parties? It was on the flier with Hungarian flag.

It’s seems very Jill to attach her birthday family member to someone else’s celebration (aka someone else pays for 2 parties)?

Heck even Nurie wedding was part of the Keller party celebrating Ma and Pa Keller.

Im certain Dave and Jill also went somewhere just the 2 of them to celebrate DAVE turning 50.

• Love 9

Jill posted about 20 slides of some lady talking about plexus. I muted and fast forwarded. My guess she is not selling as much as she wants.

She is no sister wife Jenelle or Christine 🤣

Jill I bet is still pissed she did not go to the retreat in March 🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Didn’t Dave have his 50th party along with someone else’s? Aka the other birthday person paid for 2 parties? It was on the flier with Hungarian flag.

It’s seems very Jill to attach her birthday family member to someone else’s celebration (aka someone else pays for 2 parties)?

Heck even Nurie wedding was part of the Keller party celebrating Ma and Pa Keller.

Im certain Dave and Jill also went somewhere just the 2 of them to celebrate DAVE turning 50.

Sounds plausible. Especially considering they combined Gabriel’s birthday, Phillip’s “graduation,” whatever the hell Sammers was celebrating, and the virgin boy pledge dinner all into one event. Then made it seem like Gabriel brought his two favorite brothers along for his birthday outing. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Jill posted about 20 slides of some lady talking about plexus. I muted and fast forwarded. My guess she is not selling as much as she wants.

She is no sister wife Jenelle or Christine 🤣

Jill I bet is still pissed she did not go to the retreat in March 🤣

With rising prices, it does make me wonder if people will shell out money for things like plexus. I used to buy jewelry from a MLM that was just the bomb. I haven't for awhile. I went on the person's page and there was a necklace I would love to get, but decided not too. 

• Love 6