Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

The first picture reminds me of a couple of old cranky ladies rearranging their wares at the church rummage sale.  And, Jill, adding  notes to your picture does not make it actual music.  If instruments could talk...

RE: Carlin--I get the relief & happiness she's talking about.  When you go through any chronic illness, regardless of the timing, you can feel hopeless and helpless real fast.  When there *could* be an answer, it's an overwhelming feeling.  While you don't want to think the worst, there's a sense of peace in possibly getting answers.  It get very tiring to hear "I can't help you" or "I don't know" from a myriad of medical professionals.  When all of my issues started happening, my primary walked into the room and told me that I kept her up at night because she couldn't figure it out.  Carlin has to be in constant fear of something happening while driving or home alone with the kids.  I'm not a fan of the family at all, but I do wish her the best, and I hope she gets answers.  

• Love 18

The cowbells on the ironing board are back!  Jill doesn't bring out the bells for just anyone. She must have been expecting a good payday at Elkdale.

Elkdale got MORE COWBELL!!!!

I expect to see Phillip in his newly grifted car very soon. 

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
(edited)

Carlin……..

She posted a video of Layla pretending to pass out. She stated it, and then fell back on the bed. Evan asks if she’s ok, Layla says, yeah. Evan checks her pulse. I don’t find that shit funny at all.

Screenshots from the video:

A1AA0229-3FEA-4FCC-8571-2B1972192267.jpeg

7112C00B-41DA-4257-8918-BCAC620FFA97.jpeg

8532CAE9-16DF-4609-80C4-95655E8C1989.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1
On 5/25/2022 at 5:25 PM, iwantcookies said:

Screenshot. Video had no sound hahaha 

FD82DAB5-794D-480D-A63F-D379845BB0E9.jpeg

Didn’t need to see this photo to know I wouldn’t want to see this creep sauntering toward me in a dark alley. Fortunately, we know he’s incapable of attacking, what with the heavy training he does in his recliner all day.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Carlin……..

She posted a video of Layla pretending to pass out. She stated it, and then fell back on the bed. Evan asks if she’s ok, Layla says, yeah. Evan checks her pulse. I don’t find that shit funny at all.

I......who........what?!??   Who does this??  And WHY?

• Love 22
On 5/25/2022 at 5:31 PM, libgirl2 said:

Yikes, that is the best picture she could come out with? 

That's the best he's ever looked, IMO.  The less light, the better.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Carlin……..

Screenshots from the video:

A1AA0229-3FEA-4FCC-8571-2B1972192267.jpeg

7112C00B-41DA-4257-8918-BCAC620FFA97.jpeg

8532CAE9-16DF-4609-80C4-95655E8C1989.jpeg

Just when you think Carlin and Evan cannot be any more clueless.....  That they think this is cute and undoubtedly encouraged Layla to do it repeatedly so they could catch it to post kinda boggles the mind.

Carlin has to be in constant fear of something happening while driving or home alone with the kids. 

Which is why Carlin should NOT be driving-at all.  Nor should she be alone with her kids or otherwise.  She needs to have someone around who can call 911 if needed.  Layla has gotten the hang of pretending to pass out, but they probably haven't bothered to try to teach her how to get help in an emergency.

Anyone with a problem where they might randomly faint dead away and fall to the ground should NOT be doing anything that might risk their health or that of others.  I seem to recall Carlin scoffing after one of the ER docs told her not to drive: 'I have children'.  Children who are too small to be helpful in an emergency and who are not enrolled in school or any other activity requiring their mother to drive.  But, as with their response to COVID, it is all about what is convenient for them and what they want.

I know a woman who had a blood clot/stroke after giving birth and had a seizure when it was diagnosed.  She never had another one, but her neurologist told her not to drive for 6 months. And she didn't.  Her husband went out and bought a big Flexible Flyer wagon with the wood sides and, when she went somewhere, she walked, pulling her kids and groceries and whatever else behind her.  Because that is what responsible, mature people do.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 19
49 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I......who........what?!??   Who does this??  And WHY?

It's one thing if she did it once or wanted to learn how to check pulses-I don't think it's that abnormal for a kid to want to understand what the adults are up to. But posting the video and making it into a game is weird for sure. 

• Love 2

I get Layla mimicking her mom, but I don't get them making it funny and having her repeat it. No need to scare Layla, but no need to encourage this at all.

If seizures are going to be part of Carlin's life, they're going to be part of her kids' lives too. Layla is nearing the age where she could learn 911, and in the meantime she can learn if mommy falls - tell someone.

We've all read stories about diapered heroes helping out in all kinds of situations.

• Love 23
16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I get Layla mimicking her mom, but I don't get them making it funny and having her repeat it. No need to scare Layla, but no need to encourage this at all.

If seizures are going to be part of Carlin's life, they're going to be part of her kids' lives too. Layla is nearing the age where she could learn 911, and in the meantime she can learn if mommy falls - tell someone.

We've all read stories about diapered heroes helping out in all kinds of situations.

Bingo. Exactly this.

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If nothing else, get one of those Life Alert thingies and teach her how to push the button if mommy can't.

But, Layla seems like a bright kid, she should be able to hit 911 on speed dial or, at least, have a nearby neighbor on speed dial who can come check if Layla calls.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Per state code, persons with epilepsy cannot drive for a year in Tennessee.  After seizures are controlled, they may apply for a license after 6 months.  However, physicians aren't required to report to the DMV.

My child had her first seizure at age 16 about 2 months after getting her license.  She has never driven since, even though she is controlled.  Too scared of hurting herself or someone else.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, Notabug said:

Anyone with a problem where they might randomly faint dead away and fall to the ground should NOT be doing anything that might risk their health or that of others.  I seem to recall Carlin scoffing after one of the ER docs told her not to drive: 'I have children'.  Children who are too small to be helpful in an emergency and who are not enrolled in school or any other activity requiring their mother to drive.  But, as with their response to COVID, it is all about what is convenient for them and what they want.

Idiots like Carlin make things more difficult for those of us with epilepsy who do take it seriously. She needs her ass knocked down a peg. 

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Idiots like Carlin make things more difficult for those of us with epilepsy who do take it seriously. She needs her ass knocked down a peg. 

Carlin hasn't been diagnosed with epilepsy or anything else for that matter.

I hope that with Evan home she'll take the no driving edict seriously.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

If the EEG doesn't find signs of abnormal electrical activity then it could be a psychogenic seizure.

Can you differentiate between the different types of seizures for us lay people? 😀

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Can you differentiate between the different types of seizures for us lay people? 😀

Seizures are basically sudden bursts of electrical activity in the brain which affect the way messages between brain cells are transmitted. They can affect movement, sensation, awareness, etc. for a temporary period of time.

Seizures can be classified based on point of onset, the presence of motor activity, and whether awareness was impaired (see below). These factors can be determined with help from an EEG, brain scans, and so forth.

Epilepsy is a neurological disease where the individual is at increased risk of having seizures because there is abnormal brain activity.

https://www.epilepsy.com/what-is-epilepsy/seizure-types

image.thumb.png.fc285bf3c340fa7c870e5fe94219489d.png

Not all seizures are epileptic. A psychogenic nonepileptic seizure (PNES) is psychological in origin, not neurological. The behaviors are similar to that of an epileptic seizure, but they are not caused by abnormal brain activity like in epilepsy. That doesn't mean they are faking the seizure - it's very much real, but the seizure came about due to the brain's reaction to physical or mental distress. 

• Useful 14
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Carlin hasn't been diagnosed with epilepsy or anything else for that matter.

I hope that with Evan home she'll take the no driving edict seriously.

One does not have to be diagnosed with epilepsy to be forbidden to drive for a period of time. I seriously doubt a self-absorbed attention-seeker like Carlin would take it seriously.  

• Love 8
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Heathen said:

One does not have to be diagnosed with epilepsy to be forbidden to drive for a period of time. I seriously doubt a self-absorbed attention-seeker like Carlin would take it seriously.  

Yes, I understand that it's seizures in general that are sidelining her driving. I just wanted to point out that she hasn't been diagnosed with anything yet. She's wearing a portable EEG tracker. I guess their hope is that she has an incident to give the doctors some concrete information to work with. Not sure if she's still wearing the heart monitor.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1

Erin Bates, arguably the Fundiest of all Bates/Duggars, is moving to a "church community" in FL. IMO, Erin is the least likeliest of the Bates to move, its like if Jessa announced a move to FL. The Bates show was abruptly canceled and there was speculation maybe the upcoming Fundy documentary has something to do with it. Gothard attended Erin's wedding and they actually had a birthday cake for him.

Has anyone on Redditt figured out why the show was shut down in the blink of an eye?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I saw a rumor that UP is moving towards more shows featuring people of color (or maybe purchased by a person of color?) and because of the George Floyd comment that Carlin accidentally posted, the Bates were quietly let go. It was only something I saw mentioned once in passing and it never seemed to gain any traction, so who knows?

I would love to know the real reason, though.

• Useful 6
7 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I saw a rumor that UP is moving towards more shows featuring people of color (or maybe purchased by a person of color?) and because of the George Floyd comment that Carlin accidentally posted, the Bates were quietly let go. It was only something I saw mentioned once in passing and it never seemed to gain any traction, so who knows?

I would love to know the real reason, though.

I heard that one too, but it doesn't make sense to me. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Erin Bates, arguably the Fundiest of all Bates/Duggars, is moving to a "church community" in FL. IMO, Erin is the least likeliest of the Bates to move, its like if Jessa announced a move to FL. The Bates show was abruptly canceled and there was speculation maybe the upcoming Fundy documentary has something to do with it. Gothard attended Erin's wedding and they actually had a birthday cake for him.

Has anyone on Redditt figured out why the show was shut down in the blink of an eye?

Is a "church community" like a compound of some sort?  Is Gothard building a housing development or other closed community?  This sounds like they are getting very deep into something.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Is a "church community" like a compound of some sort?  Is Gothard building a housing development or other closed community?  This sounds like they are getting very deep into something.

Not always, but I think in this case it might be. It can also just mean all the members of one specific church that live independent of each other but worship together and provide support (not always financial) for each other. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I believe Erin and Chad called it both a church community and church family. Chad's grandfather lives in a Christian (Fundy?) retirement village there. There's speculation he & Erin may be moving nearby, or even in the actual neighborhood, with Chad doing maintenance. 

• Useful 3
26 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

This video shows Carlin having a couple of her episodes, including what look like convulsions. Pretty scary.

Why would anyone post this?  This is a personal family issue.  I have lost all respect for Carlin and her family.  When does the Go Fund Me appear?

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

Why would anyone post this?  This is a personal family issue.  I have lost all respect for Carlin and her family.  When does the Go Fund Me appear?

My thoughts exactly although I don't think I had any respect for the family anyway.

• Love 21
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

I was thinking the same thing. Then I also thought they're posting it for the doubters. But either way, yea, no, don't post it.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Do the Rodbots eat ice cream that isn't blue? It's the only flavor I ever see them with, all of them. In my world, people, even a family, would select their own favorites.

Their “favorite” is whatever BME tells them it is.

• Love 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I was thinking the same thing. Then I also thought they're posting it for the doubters. But either way, yea, no, don't post it.

It is appalling that they would post that, they have no shame.

BTW, it doesn't look like a typical tonic-clonic epileptic seizure to me.  It may be some sort of partial seizure or it may not be due to epilepsy.  She needs investigated to see if it is some sort of atypical seizure, but if they were hoping that showing the video would somehow convince the public, not so much.

Biggest clue: As she is lying there, she is immediately alert and oriented just seconds later.  People having generalized seizures cannot do this.  Generalized seizures are also far more violent and she would've been moving her head, clenching her teeth, etc.  Someone gently holding the sides of her head wouldn't have done anything.  And, while I am not a neurologist, most partial seizures involve one side of the body or the other, not everything from the neck down.  Not saying that these are not true seizures, just that they do not fit the usual pattern.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 5
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Notabug said:

BTW, it doesn't look like a typical tonic-clonic epileptic seizure to me.  It may be some sort of partial seizure or it may not be due to epilepsy.  She needs investigated to see if it is some sort of atypical seizure, but if they were hoping that showing the video would somehow convince the public, not so much.

I've witnessed maybe a handful of seizures and Carlin's did not resemble any that I have seen.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Biggest clue: As she is lying there, she is immediately alert and oriented just seconds later.  People having generalized seizures cannot do this.  Generalized seizures are also far more violent and she would've been moving her head, clenching her teeth, etc.  Someone gently holding the sides of her head wouldn't have done anything.  And, while I am not a neurologist, most partial seizures involve one side of the body or the other, not everything from the neck down.  Not saying that these are not true seizures, just that they do not fit the usual pattern.

I guess that's why they filmed it in the first place, to have something to show the doctors. I'm sure Carlin was okay with showing this to the world because $$$. 

eta Only 22k views in 2 hours. Maybe even the Leghumpers are getting tired of it. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I guess that's why they filmed it in the first place, to have something to show the doctors. I'm sure Carlin was okay with showing this to the world because $$$. 

If they wanted to show it to the doctors, then show it to the doctors; posting it online is purely a cynical cash grab, IMO.  I hope the poor EMT's and others who appeared on screen gave their consent for filming and agreed to allow their images to be publicly posted.  Many hospitals specifically forbid using their employees for any online purpose while they are working.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

If they wanted to show it to the doctors, then show it to the doctors; posting it online is purely a cynical cash grab, IMO.  I hope the poor EMT's and others who appeared on screen gave their consent for filming and agreed to allow their images to be publicly posted.  Many hospitals specifically forbid using their employees for any online purpose while they are working.

Don't shoot the messenger! 😀 I admitted it was ultimately a money grab. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

My thoughts exactly although I don't think I had any respect for the family anyway.

You beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

It shouldn’t matter if millions of complete strangers “doubt” them or not. They are so caught up in SM nonsense. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

You beat me to it. 

It shouldn’t matter if millions of complete strangers “doubt” them or not. They are so caught up in SM nonsense. 

I so agree. Not making excuses, but I really think Carlin and Evan have lost themselves to SM. I am sure they don't know it, but they are not living real lives, they are not in reality.

• Love 6

For those who are interested, here is some info from the Epilepsy Foundation. As has been pointed out already, there are many types of seizures and epilepsy syndromes other than what people typically think of as seizures. https://www.epilepsy.com/what-is-epilepsy/seizure-types The NIH also has good information. 

(My seizures were always absence as a kid, myoclonic, or tonic-clonic aka grand mal in adolescence and adulthood. My grandmother had complex partial seizures, which is the most common kind in seniors. When she had her first one, I didn't recognize what she had as a seizure, and neither did the paramedics or the ER doctors. We all thought she'd had a stroke; her diagnosis was a process of elimination, as it is for a lot of people with epilepsy. I've never known anybody who had a mobile EEG unless they were kids with some genetic syndrome.)

I've made it clear that I think Carlin, and most of the other Bateses, are grade-A flakes and attention-seekers. Posting the kinds of things they have been posting just cements that for me. However, I do hope that if it's real, she gets diagnosed and treated soon. For her kids' sakes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8