Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Pretty awesome day for Deidre!

So interesting to see her twin sister's untouched self...they can't really pass for doubles again on the show now can they?

Why is the man who played "Q" from Star Trek there? Is he a spouse/friend/new cast member?

Also that black and white shot of Belle and Claire makes Claire look great. More natural than her Stevie Nicks style hair on the show. Hope she stays around...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Why is the man who played "Q" from Star Trek there? Is he a spouse/friend/new cast member?

Old cast member! John de Lancie played Eugene to Arleen Sorkin's Calliope in the '80s. They were the sort of "out there" couple. (Calliope even wed Eugene in a wedding dress that lit up, IIRC!)  Eugene was also a BFF of Marlena's and it was from part of his name that Sami got her middle name of Gene (with that spelling).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Old cast member! John de Lancie played Eugene to Arleen Sorkin's Calliope in the '80s. They were the sort of "out there" couple. (Calliope even wed Eugene in a wedding dress that lit up, IIRC!)  Eugene was also a BFF of Marlena's and it was from part of his name that Sami got her middle name of Gene (with that spelling).

Marlena was also his best woman at their wedding...The show should have brought them back at least once...They could have a couple of kids out there that could come back to the show....Calliope was also good friends with Kim Brady...Bo was also close to Eugene as well.. 

(edited)

I've avoided them like the plague. I can't imagine enjoying myself other than to meet other fans. I'm not big on being queued up to have 2 minutes of un-meaningful exchanges with people. I'd want something more intimate where conversation could develop.

I did the Guiding Light Fan Luncheon 2 years in a row and it was meh. I had fun with one of the younger actresses b/c her boyfriend was my hometown bartender. I surprised her with that knowledge. Fun. Plus, met Daniel Cosgrove and did the 90210 dance with him. But in general, in that quick setting, what is there to say/ask that they haven't been asked a bajillion times (in the past hour, even)? And if you did come up with something, what would come of it besides a quick answer/laugh, etc...they have to get to the next person in queue.

Edited by swtrgrl

I'm assuming they include the panel discussions, which would be lots of fun to me. And hey, I think it might be nice to shake someone's hand...oh for fun let's just say Billy Flynn's, lol...and thank them for entertaining me every day : ) I've done that with a couple of musicians and it's very satisfying for me to get the chance to say that; I imagine it's less fun for the celebrity but in my experience they seem to put up a good front of enjoying the scene.

• Love 1

Not with Brady dressed like that. I was going to say Stayla, but Kayla is dressed like a guest...so I'm guessing Marlena and John, with Steve as Best Man (hence the crisp white shirt).

I've done that with a couple of musicians and it's very satisfying for me to get the chance to say that; I imagine it's less fun for the celebrity but in my experience they seem to put up a good front of enjoying the scene.

See, that's the sad part. Nearly every single celeb/actor/singer/artist whose work I've treasured has seemed indifferent to the praise, in spite of how genuinely I've offered it when meeting them. The old adage is true: it's hard to take a compliment. Very few keep it casual and try to relate to you as a person. Most just seem uncomfortable, and these fan luncheons are probably packed with boisterous folks who unintentionally make it even more awkward.

It depends on the experience, but I'm guessing 8/10 times it's a little weird.

• Love 1

Rumor has it that it is a Lucas and Adrienne wedding..There was a video with Judy Evans in a wedding dress. Lauren's husband was applying makeup to her legs and the camera panned to Judy looking in a mirror in a wedding dress..I am not a Lucas/Adrienne fan, but, if it means that Lucas gets a storyline, then I am all for it...It is a crime that Bryan has no contract or story..It is a damn shame..

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Rumor has it that it is a Lucas and Adrienne wedding..There was a video with Judy Evans in a wedding dress. Lauren's husband was applying makeup to her legs and the camera panned to Judy looking in a mirror in a wedding dress..I am not a Lucas/Adrienne fan, but, if it means that Lucas gets a storyline, then I am all for it...It is a crime that Bryan has no contract or story..It is a damn shame..

....okay. Random. Theirs has been the least consistently written tale of love I've ever seen on a soap. Why marry them?

And doesn't that officially end the Adriustin super couple? Days is afraid to mess with their super couples ...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't want to scare anyone but someone just told me on Twitter that based on that tweet Larry Poindexter sent that indicated that he had scenes w/Patsy Pease, CS and Eric Martsolf that there's a possibility that Theresa could die. If that is true that makes me sick. I mean why? You're basically leaving a huge hole in the 20/30 something group and the show is also basically killing off yet another member of the Donovan family. Just gross. Why not have Theresa just leave town? Too much death. But I'm confused because as recently as a week ago Jen Lilley was tweeting out BTS pictures so if Theresa has died already she wouldn't still be on the show. And if Kim & Shane do show up I thought it would only be for the Thrady wedding. Can they really afford to bring back two vets for a funeral too?

Edited by Braniac Woman
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Would Kate go to a Marlena and John wedding?

Why not?  Kate and Marlena have been frenemies for the last 42 years.  They fight when the plot calls for it (Sami saga, John engagement) other than that they do like each other. 

Kate would go in a heartbeat.

• Love 1
(edited)

She looks freaking incredible. Wow.

I don't want to scare anyone but someone just told me on Twitter that based on that tweet Larry Poindexter sent that indicated that he had scenes w/Patsy Pease, CS and Eric Martsolf that there's a possibility that Theresa could die. If that is true that makes me sick. I mean why? You're basically leaving a huge hole in the 20/30 something group and the show is also basically killing off yet another member of the Donovan family. Just gross. Why not have Theresa just leave town? Too much death. But I'm confused because as recently as a week ago Jen Lilley was tweeting out BTS pictures so if Theresa has died already she wouldn't still be on the show. And if Kim & Shane do show up I thought it would only be for the Thrady wedding. Can they really afford to bring back two vets for a funeral too?

You're scaring me. Stop.

Everything will be fine  *chills*

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

She looks freaking incredible. Wow.

You're scaring me. Stop.

Everything will be fine  *chills*

I'm sorry. Like I said, I don't want to scare anyone and maybe I'm wrong, (I hope I'm wrong), but I wouldn't put it past Higley to do something this awful. I know that Theresa's had a lot of issues as a character but I don't think killing her off is the solution. It would be better to just have her leave town. I'm so sick and tired of people dying on this show. If this rumor actually comes to pass I'm going to quit the show cold turkey. I'm done. 

• Love 1

Folks over on the Daytime Royalty forum have been speculating that JL is no longer on the show for the past few weeks. It started with an interview at the Daytime Emmys when there was a strange comment/glance between JL & EM about winning Emmys and then being written off the show.  

Also there was an interview with EM when he referred to Theresa as "the woman I currently have a baby with onscreen" and something about them having problems.

Then there were Tweets last week from JL & EM suggesting they'd filmed some heavy scenes and JL commenting on what a good actor EM was.

Might not be anything. And since a lot of people at Daytime Royalty dislike both Theresa and Jen Lilly, they might be just reading into things what they want to see. But it does make sense that Kim and Shane would come to Salem for Theresa's funeral.

• Love 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, buffynut said:

Folks over on the Daytime Royalty forum have been speculating that JL is no longer on the show for the past few weeks. It started with an interview at the Daytime Emmys when there was a strange comment/glance between JL & EM about winning Emmys and then being written off the show.  

Also there was an interview with EM when he referred to Theresa as "the woman I currently have a baby with onscreen" and something about them having problems.

Then there were Tweets last week from JL & EM suggesting they'd filmed some heavy scenes and JL commenting on what a good actor EM was.

Might not be anything. And since a lot of people at Daytime Royalty dislike both Theresa and Jen Lilly, they might be just reading into things what they want to see. But it does make sense that Kim and Shane would come to Salem for Theresa's funeral.

So if Brady & Theresa do get married in November and Theresa somehow dies either during or right after the wedding, why would the show potentially have a wedding with Lucas & Adrienne right after if that possible wedding is in the same month? Unless Thrady has already gotten married earlier before the writing change. On the other hand, I think it's possible that Kim & Shane might show up for the wedding too. 

If Theresa is going to end up dying though, I think it's a huge mistake. First off, why even go that drastic route? Why would the show choose to kill her off as opposed to just having her leave town for good? Second, I think it's just so unfair to have Tate's mother taken away from him in such a horrible way. Does that mean Brady is going to be a single dad or might Kim & Shane attempt to fight for custody? 

On the other hand, what if something did happen to Tater Tot and not Theresa? Kim & Shane would definitely come back for his funeral. That would also explain Eric Martsolf's "serious soap" tweet the other day. Weren't we just debating a possible rumor of his death the other day too?

Edited by Braniac Woman
  • Love 1
(edited)

If St Luke's Church is open you can rest assure some juiciness will happen.   If anyone had been watching this show since the 90s, James Reilly was known for making that church the center of big reveals.  Will's paternity,  Belle's paternity and Kirsten's rape of Eric(this one under Tomsell).   I'm looking forward to it.   I'm surr the Thrady wedding is more Quan's idea than Higley's.   He's the James Reilly protégé. 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 1

Please no more killing people, especially children.  I think we have had enough murder, even for a soap.  If someone is leaving or being fired they can actually just leave town until your ready to bring them back.  Not everyone needs to be killed.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:

If St Luke's Church is open you can rest assure some juiciness will happen.   If anyone had been watching this show since the 90s, James Reilly was known for making that church the center of big reveals.  Will's paternity,  Belle's paternity and Kirsten's rape of Eric(this one under Tomsell).   I'm looking forward to it.   I'm surr the Thrady wedding is more Quan's idea than Higley's.   He's the James Reilly protégé. 

What big reveal could possibly happen at the Thrady wedding? Can't be anything pertaining to Brady and/or Theresa, right? Honestly I'd rather have Theresa alive and have her break up with Brady at the wedding. I don't care what happens at that event; please for the love of God don't have Theresa die!

Is Ryan Quan being a James E. Reilly protege a good thing or a bad thing? I'm afraid to ask. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Braniac Woman said:

What big reveal could possibly happen at the Thrady wedding? Can't be anything pertaining to Brady and/or Theresa, right? Honestly I'd rather have Theresa alive and have her break up with Brady at the wedding. I don't care what happens at that event; please for the love of God don't have Theresa die!

Is Ryan Quan being a James E. Reilly protege a good thing or a bad thing? I'm afraid to ask. 

If you want some light back in this show (humor and romance),  I have to trust and hope Quan will do so.   He worked on Passions with JR,  I believe he was a script writer for him before he ended on Days.   Josh Griffith to me is responsible for a lot of the darkness we have been seeing most of this regime om Days.   He did the same on YR and GH from what I can remember.  It's like he totally changed Days into something unrecognizable.    Higley is messy and her motor is problematic but she's not half as bad Griffith IMO.   Griffith just doesn't need to write for daytime anymore.   What worked for Santa Barbara and OLTL will not work in the current climate of daytime. 

As for Thrady  I don't know much about Thrady.   Never was much of a fan of the pairing but one has to wait and see.   It might not be anything but a wedding so they finally can have their happiness.  Until after the Olympics we know what a lot of Thrady could be doing along with everyone else.   Just speculation. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BlackMamba said:

If you want some light back in this show (humor and romance),  I have to trust and hope Quan will do so.   He worked on Passions with JR,  I believe he was a script writer for him before he ended on Days.   Josh Griffith to me is responsible for a lot of the darkness we have been seeing most of this regime om Days.   He did the same on YR and GH from what I can remember.  It's like he totally changed Days into something unrecognizable.    Higley is messy and her motor is problematic but she's not half as bad Griffith IMO.   Griffith just doesn't need to write for daytime anymore.   What worked for Santa Barbara and OLTL will not work in the current climate of daytime. 

As for Thrady  I don't know much about Thrady.   Never was much of a fan of the pairing but one has to wait and see.   It might not be anything but a wedding so they finally can have their happiness.  Until after the Olympics we know what a lot of Thrady could be doing along with everyone else.   Just speculation. 

Light? Romance? Humor? Killing off a child of one of the most popular and beloved supercouples of the entire show doesn't sound like lighthearted humor and romance to me. That sounds more like of the same dark crap we've been enduring for nearly a year and a half. Up until this time I've been assuming that Higley was in charge of the show, so I wasn't sure if I should even bother putting my faith in Quan. But maybe Quan can work some miracles for this show. As long as he doesn't kill off any of my faves, I'm okay with whatever he might do, if I might like it. 

And yeah Griffith is definitely as bad as Higley, if not worse. He pretty much ruined the entire teen set and trashed so many characters, including Maggie. It's so sad. He might want to move on to primetime where his work will be better appreciated. I still want Higley gone though. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

I wouldn't consider theresa and Brady a super couple. An odd couple maybe but they are no super couple  imho

I wasn't even talking about Theresa and Brady. I was referring to Kim and Shane and how asinine it would be to kill off their daughter just because the writers don't want anything more to do with her. 

(edited)
56 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

I wouldn't consider theresa and Brady a super couple. An odd couple maybe but they are no super couple  imho

They are odd.   Shawn and Ciara are their maternal and paternal first cousins via Victor and Caroline.  Yuck. 

43 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

I misunderstood what you said my apologies.  I do agree with you on that point. And I like theresa, well the old theresa anyway.

Me too.   Bring back snarky,  no bs Tree! 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3
(edited)

There's too many comments to quote and reply to, so I'll try to add my thoughts on what everyone has posted.

1) forgot to mention this earlier, but adding to the Theresa is gone rumour, someone asked Kassie DePaiva if she was coming back to Salem and she replied that she had no family left there. Maybe she just meant Paige, but all the "Theresa is gone" speculators thought she meant Theresa.

2) Not sure if Kimberley and Shane would come back "just for" Tate's funeral, as they didn't bother showing up to support Eve when Paige was murdered, or when Bo died. That said, I also don't want them to kill off a child. Or anyone else, for that matter. We've had more than enough deaths this year!

3) folks on the other forum have also speculated maybe they filmed scenes out of order just to use the St. Luke's set while it was available.

4) they also speculated that Thrady get married earlier, like before the Olympics, and that it's a double wedding with John and Marlena, but that something happens to possibly stop the wedding(s). This due to pics of actors dressed up. And various casting calls. [EDIT TO ADD: actually it was pics the stunt coordinator posted that led to speculation something happens to stop the speculated wedding(s).

5) and yes, Griffith is a horrible writer. I can't believe last year we were so excited for the writing change to happen. And it did seem to improve at first, but now it seems like instead of having boring stories go on and on and on, major things happen and then get mostly forgotten so the next major thing can take place. 

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

See, that's the sad part. Nearly every single celeb/actor/singer/artist whose work I've treasured has seemed indifferent to the praise, in spite of how genuinely I've offered it when meeting them. The old adage is true: it's hard to take a compliment. Very few keep it casual and try to relate to you as a person. Most just seem uncomfortable, and these fan luncheons are probably packed with boisterous folks who unintentionally make it even more awkward.

It depends on the experience, but I'm guessing 8/10 times it's a little weird.

No doubt about the potential for weirdness, Disney. I've thought to myself while on line, "what am I DOING?" lol. But the times I've done it --- and please, I don't make a habit of it and I'm not a crazy fangirl, honestly -- I've been glad : )

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, BlackMamba said:

They are odd.   Shawn and Ciara are their maternal and paternal first cousins via Victor and Caroline.  Yuck. 

Edited by boes
mistaken post and now I can't delete.
  • Love 1

And let us not forget...they've been filming story lines and they're editing them out like crazy. So even if it was filmed, we may not get it and they can go in different directions.