Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Bouchard has that weird concussion issue. I know NFLers play through it, but tennis is a different game. Not that she wouldn't have crashed anyway. Who knows?

The women's game is so all over the place. With Serena out for awhile, it just seems that no one has the drive and determination to climb to the top. Halep let a 20 year old unknown dictate that match instead of imposing her own will. That match was never on Halep's racket. Either Ostapenko was going to come through with the winners (which she did) or she was going to give it to Halep with the unforced (which she almost did).

I have absolutely no problem with whatever celebrations athletes have when they win because at that point, I can just stop watching. What drives me up the wall, across the ceiling and into the floor are the slow fist pumps while gazing meaningfully at their friends & family after every. frickin'. point.  I'm lookin' at you Djoker and Murray.

• Love 1

What drives me up the wall, across the ceiling and into the floor are the slow fist pumps while gazing meaningfully at their friends & family after every. frickin'. point.  I'm lookin' at you Djoker and Murray.

When Murray bulked up a bit a few years back-- he was playing @ Wimbledon (I think it was 2008/09/10) and at one point after a win-- he flexed his arm and looked meaningfully at his team. My tennis friends and I mock that to this day. On one trip to the US Open in particular-- when he was struggling, we actually called out "Hey Andy-- show us your muscle!"

That sort of thing deserves to be mocked.

• Love 3

John McEnroe perhaps should have not used the number of 700, but in listening to the entire clip of what he said, he has nothing to apologize for.

I can see where Serena is coming from because he was specifically talking about HER, but everyone else should settle down.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

John McEnroe perhaps should have not used the number of 700, but in listening to the entire clip of what he said, he has nothing to apologize for.

I can see where Serena is coming from because he was specifically talking about HER, but everyone else should settle down.

I'm missing the context of this post...

Edited by BlackberryJam

Oh John should always apologize for the inane drivel that he spews. He has chronic foot-in-mouth disease. NBC should apologize to tennis fans for still using him as a commentator. 

Serena is right, SHUT UP JOHN. He needs to stop talking about Serena, and women athletes in general, because all he's going to do is make blunder after blunder. I see athletes and actors every day who handle these types of "gotcha" questions with class and dignity, providing intelligent and articulate answers. John McEnroe is near incapable of doing that and should just keep his mouth shut. Instead, he needs to stir up a little controversy to get his book to sell and why not Bobby Riggs it up to get more attention. Only we've come a long way and McEnroe's opinion holds little weight. If he mattered, his comments would. He doesn't, so they don't. 

Also, his brother's book was atrocious. 

• Love 1

Pregnancy is a beautiful thing but, I'm sorry, but I don't want or need any more naked or half-naked pregnant women on magazine covers.  I guess they are trying to be "sexy." 

• Love 3
On 6/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, mojoween said:

I disagree with people who say he was being sexist. I do think he was specifically trying to tear down Serena right after complimenting her. He called her the greatest female tennis player ever but in the next breath said she wasn't shit because she couldn't beat most men. And FWIW, I think her ATPrank would be higher than 700. Not sure what, but John basically said we'd have no idea who she was because she'd never play in big tournaments.

I think the question itself was unfair, but John took the bait and came away sounding like a jerk. Which he is. 

Maybe it wouldn't matter to me if John didn't have a history of criticizing the Williams Sisters at every possible moment. Beyond the sport of tennis, his comments always sounded like personal attacks on them as people.  I don't know if he's had a change of heart, or if he compliments Serena's game now because if he didn't, he'd be the only idiot in tennis broadcasting who didn't. 

• Love 4

I don't John McEnroe should apologize for what he said; he's entitled to his opinion no matter how stupid it might be.  Given that he has been rather a loud-mouthed jerk for many years, the best course would probably be to ignore him, but Serena Williams' reply was classy.

He's not entirely wrong in what he said, though.  Although Serena Williams is probably the best player to come along in the women's game in decades, if not ever, she would still have some trouble competing with the elite men's players, even with her strong physique.  (Not implying anything about Ms. Williams other than her being gifted with great musculature which she obviously works very hard to maintain.  That, plus her natural talent and training ethic, make her a formidable player.)  She'd be in the top 30 or so, maybe even the top 20, but the very best male players would still beat her on a regular basis.  Definitely way higher than 700, though - that's total crap.

15 hours ago, twoods said:

I would have rather seen that second picture on the cover- it is so lovely. 

I like it better, too.  I have no problem with the picture they chose to use, but it is kind of a cliché.

• Love 3

I mean, Serena herself said that Andy Murray would beat her in five minutes.

However, personally, whether she could beat a man or not doesn't matter to me, because I think she's the best tennis player, period.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2017 at 11:57 AM, khyber said:

I'm looking for Podcast recommendations to listen to during Wimbledon.

I have listened to NCR and liked it. Sometimes they do a lot of podcasts during slams and sometimes there's just two, one at the beginning and one after it's over, so it may not pan out for you for Wimbledon specifically. I know they've recommended a couple of others, but I can't find that right now. I did find this discussion of some others, though.

Venus entered the intersection when she couldn't get out of it.   That makes it her fault.

That being said, I do "blame" them for suing. What does that accomplish?  Was anyone financially dependant on the 78 year old, so that they need the money in order to support themselves? Is it to "punish" Venus? Her insurer will handle the entire matter and pay the plaintiffs, without Venus ever even testifying in a deposition. So they get money because they are sad. Will money make them feel better?

• Love 1

I don't understand how there can be that much damage on a car that was going 5 mph in the intersection, while the other person just started. Was the guy not wearing a seat belt? It all sounds fishy.

• Love 3

I like the Wozniacki cover, even if they're trying to make her look like Uma Thurman. But then I never miss the ESPN Body issue- while there's a certain amount of cosmetic photoshop that goes on in the photos, it's interesting to see how many different body shapes and types have success at the highest level in a wide variety of sports. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, selkie said:

I like the Wozniacki cover, even if they're trying to make her look like Uma Thurman. But then I never miss the ESPN Body issue- while there's a certain amount of cosmetic photoshop that goes on in the photos, it's interesting to see how many different body shapes and types have success at the highest level in a wide variety of sports. 

Wozniakci has a great body, but the cover makes her look like a Rodin statue. I know she's thin, but the photo-shopping/airbrush work makes her appear androgynous. She has almost no boobs, and her genitalia is reminiscent of a Barbie doll's lady parts. Or a Ken doll's. Part of that was for modesty, I know, and part of it was for artistic purposes, but if it weren't for her long, flowing hair, I could easily mistake her for a small-boned man. 

• Love 3

My question is, why do these athletes feel the need to pose naked on magazine covers?  We already know that since they're athletes, they're expected to have great bodies.   

48 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

My question is, why do these athletes feel the need to pose naked on magazine covers?  We already know that since they're athletes, they're expected to have great bodies.   

Regarding Wozniacki's picture, I'm pretty sure it's for the ESPN Magazine Body Issue that's been a around for almost a decade. That said, someone can ask in turn why it bothers some whether or not these people choose to be a naked on a magazine. It's their body and it's not hurting anyone. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Though great for a given sport is somewhat relative. They show a fair number of football lineman, gold medal-winning female shot putters and weightlifters, etc. that would draw 'Consider salads!' cat calls if those people were walking along a beach in a bathing suit. Which is what makes it a more interesting feature for me than if it was all ripped pretty people with like 7% body fat. 

Edited by selkie
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Regarding Wozniacki's picture, I'm pretty sure it's for the ESPN Magazine Body Issue that's been a around for almost a decade. That said, someone can ask in turn why it bothers some whether or not these people choose to be a naked on a magazine. It's their body and it's not hurting anyone. 

I know about the ESPN Body Issue.  Of course it's their choice to be naked on a magazine.  It's certainly not "hurting" me but I have the right (for lack of a better word) to wonder why athletes would want to pose naked on a magazine.   There's no point in chastising someone for having a point of view that might be different from yours.

21 hours ago, twoods said:

I don't understand how there can be that much damage on a car that was going 5 mph in the intersection, while the other person just started. Was the guy not wearing a seat belt? It all sounds fishy.

I don't get it either. I've ran through several scenarios in my mind, and none of them make sense. I do feel horribly for Venus, though. Regardless of what happened, it was clearly an accident and early media reports made it seem like Venus barreled through the intersection at 80 mph and rear-ended the other car into a brick wall. Color me confused on how a vehicle traveling 5 mph caused fatal injuries and I agree the family suing is kind of shitty. Watching her break down during her press conference this morning was awful. 

• Love 2
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

At least I don't have to see Kyrgios anymore.  Too bad about Wawrinka though. 

Wait I have been out of the loop Stan is out?!?

*pause ten seconds for googly-fu*

No shit.  Wow.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I was so pleased to see how well Rafa played today. Was a little nervous about his first match on grass but he just carried on from his amazing clay season.

I get so frustrated at the commies who never cease to list the losses and who he lost to for the last few years anytime Rafa's name comes up in a discussion without any mention of how bad his knees were and how it's nearly impossible to play on grass with patellar tendinitis. They were sure giving Stan lots of sympathy for his boo-boo knee but for some reason Rafa doesn't get the same sympathy that other players do. Oh well, winning is the best revenge and I'm certainly enjoying his year so far. :)

I don't understand why reporters would ask Andy Murray for advice he would give Venus about the car accident.  I bet if she wants Andy's advice, she'll ask him, and I also bet she doesn't want his advice.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don't understand why reporters would ask Andy Murray for advice he would give Venus about the car accident.  I bet if she wants Andy's advice, she'll ask him, and I also bet she doesn't want his advice.

Also, I'm confused. Has Andy been involved in a car crash where a person died or was injured? Because if not, then the question really makes no sense. 

So disappointed that both Roger's and Novak's opponents retired. They each would have won their matches anyway, but we want tennis! Congrats to Roger for achieving the 10,000 ace mark! 

I feel like in general over their careers there have been a disproportionate number of interviews wherein a random reporter asks Andy Murray a question about one, the other or both Williams sisters for no apparent reason. It's weird.

• Love 1
(edited)

In the Fed re-air I had a visceral reaction to the camera panning over Stefan Edberg, my old nemesis, who made me run out to my parent's backyard and cry when he defeated my tennis boyfriend Boris Becker.

I don't care HOW good-looking Stefan is, I've never forgiven him.  I STILL love Bobo.

I got the giggles in the next match they showed when a patron said quite loudly "move your fucking feet" to someone and Mary says "sorry 'bout that" and then just moved on.

Edited by mojoween
11 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Also, I'm confused. Has Andy been involved in a car crash where a person died or was injured? Because if not, then the question really makes no sense. 

Andy has was present as a student at the Dublane School Massacre. That's not the same at all, but tragedy, death and surviving it are probably where they are going with the questions.

(edited)
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Andy has was present as a student at the Dublane School Massacre. That's not the same at all, but tragedy, death and surviving it are probably where they are going with the questions.

Well it definitely would make no sense; Murray's mom a hero! I actually remember seeing her interviewed 20+ years ago after it happened! Been a news junkie since I was a kid! 

Edited by Avon.Blakes7

This is nothing new for Tomic. He's pulled similar shenanigans for years, and for some reason has no problem announcing how much of an ass he is. When he first rose up in the rankings he seemed to think he'd win without trying, so he didn't try, then he had some minor successes, some major ups and downs, and whenever he's playing poorly he just checks out.

7 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Well it definitely would make no sense; Murray's mom a hero! I actually remember seeing her interviewed 20+ years ago after it happened! Been a news junkie since I was a kid! 

I think they do anything they can to get Andy to talk about Dublane.

I hope Tomic gets fined.

(edited)

Wow, both Federer's and Djokovic's opponents defaulted?! If I'd bought Centre Court tickets I'd be royally pissed right about now.

seriously. As someone who has Wimbledon on her bucket list -- this would be horribly disappointing. 

*personal note*

A friend and I went to the French a few years ago, I said I wanted to see Rafa play on clay before his body gave out. We got tickets for the middle Sunday and Monday-- for Roland Garros. But because of rain delays on Sunday, Fed's match against Monfils was carried over to Monday. Rafa's match got bumped to Langlen-- for which we didn't have tix. I was gobsmacked. Nearly on the verge of tears. Rafa was the reason for the trip.

(note to people familiar with the US Open system-- where buying tickets for the big stadium gains you entry to the stadium seating of smaller courts-- that is not how the French works)

Fortunately for me (heh) he was playing Jack Sock, who promptly lost the first two sets. People started clearing out of the stadium, and I traded our RG tix (for a Djokavic-Gasquet match that hadn't started) for Langlen tix to a match that seemed a foregone conclusion.

Anyway, Sock pulled it together to send the 3rd set into a tiebreak-- which he won. Rafa eventually won in 4, but I got to see two sets of Rafa on clay. (he lost to Novak in the next round that year)

My friend suggested I write Sock a thank you note-- I'm not sure he would appreciate it. 

Anyway-- I think I know exactly how those Wimbledon ticket-holders felt. 

French open travel tip: Voulez-vous echanger des billets?  (or just echanger des billets) (would you like to trade tickets? Thank you high school french!

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 3

Like Roland Garros, I want to say Wimbledon has a cheap centre court standby ticket option if you aren't fussy about who's playing. (They want full show courts for television broadcast purposes) Probably decent odds of making it through that queue in the first week of play, provided it isn't Andy Murray day.