Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Carey said:

For those that took this advice...I apologize!

I most certainly did not. 🤣

I had a feeling Carlos would go all the way, even if took 5 sets to do it, and I’m actually fine with the match going the distance to avoid any excuses for Joke. That the commentators, Joke Tongue Bather Johnny Mac most of all, have to eat a heaping helping of crow is oh-so-satisfying. You can put away your 24 jacket, shoes, and a dozen other accessories for now, Joke. And kiss goodbye your dreams of a Calendar Slam. 

But enough about him, all praise to the new Wimbledon champ  

Felicidades, Carlos!

season 1 omg GIF

• Like 6
  • Love 4

It's a day of flipping between this and Rory first ever Scottish win in PGA Golf.  So it'll be possible that I'll miss the part of the ceremony of Carlos burning that silly ass 24 jacket

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 4
2 minutes ago, Carey said:

It's a day of flipping between this and Rory first ever Scottish win in PGA Golf.  So it'll be possible that I'll miss the part of the ceremony of Carlos burning that silly ass 24 jacket

Joke will be using it to wipe away his tears. Karma is a mother-fucker, innit?

• Like 8
  • Wink 1

I don't know for sure how Kate Middleton will react.  On one hand, she might have legit respect for Novak & what seemed traditional during the aftermath of Wimbledon.

On the other hand, I guess there's relief that it's something fresh & new with Alcaraz there to be greeted before the balcony segment

• Like 5

Aww, Djoker, too bad.  Maybe you should've worn another nano patch?  I wear at least seven at all times.  One can't have too many nanocrystals doing their very scientifically proven thing, after all!  Now, go take some more photos with war criminals.

Carlitos, I'm generally ambivalent toward you, but not today.  Today, I'm just grateful to you for making Lord Beaker of the Light Beam Nanocrystals your bitch.  Besos.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 9
Just now, mojoween said:

Everybody got mad when Roger cried in Australia, hopefully the vitriol is the same for racket-destroying Novak.

That would be fair enough.  OTOH, if they were hoping for a new record-holder (assuming a win at the US Open or the Australian Open), I think I might understand that reasoning.

At far as that goes (25 wins)?  I probably could not care less if/when that happens.  Djokovic has done great over the past decade plus, but Serena faced this adversity toward the end, and after 40-50 years of great tennis with greats like Roger & Pete, it's totally reasonable that someone was going to step up to the place

6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I wonder if Dj's "24 Jacket" is available on EBAY?

Nope.  Kiefer Sutherland will obtain it.  After all, the guy has a sense of humor

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Well the great Hsieh Su-Wei also just won her sixth major doubles title, too bad ESPN was more interested in running a bunch of commercials than showing us the trophy ceremony.

• Like 7

As amazing as it was for Carlos winning as a guy not even born before the Big 4 owned the event, I do recall several people winning in their teens over the past half century.  Not a first but still impressive

(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Before Wimbledon, there were some analysts questioning why Carlos was seeded #1 instead of Djoker.  I'm so glad that with Carlos winning it shut them the hell up.

After Wimbledon, I'd love to question those same analysts on whether Joke's tears during the trophy ceremony were real or fake.

I'm sorry, that was mean

ETA: Carlos had one job, and he aced it.  Well, maybe not an A due to that 1st set, but I'd say he aced it since the results were only a couple.  Winning or losing, and the former took place

Edited by Carey
Edited for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I don't understand Djokovic doing the fake tears when his opponent loses the point.  He knows the crowd doesn't like him, and he does the mock tears to say "sorry your guy lost, too bad, so sad".  Is there anything more to it than that?  Why would he do this?  He has to know that he's among the most hated players in tennis today, is he just accepting it and going full blown Lord Voldemort?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Tennis has its origins as a gentlemen's game, why not show some class instead of being an arrogant ass?  I guess he just doesn't care.

When was the last time a player was this generally disliked, and knew it?  Was it Ivan Lendl?  I remember disliking Lendl a lot, but that was mostly because he was always playing against McEnroe and Connors.  I also remember disliking Martina a lot, because in the 80s she was always beating up on Chris Evert Lloyd.  I grew to like both Lendl and Martina.

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't understand Djokovic doing the fake tears when his opponent loses the point.  He knows the crowd doesn't like him, and he does the mock tears to say "sorry your guy lost, too bad, so sad".  Is there anything more to it than that?  Why would he do this?  He has to know that he's among the most hated players in tennis today, is he just accepting it and going full blown Lord Voldemort?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Tennis has its origins as a gentlemen's game, why not show some class instead of being an arrogant ass?  I guess he just doesn't care.

When was the last time a player was this generally disliked, and knew it?  Was it Ivan Lendl?  I remember disliking Lendl a lot, but that was mostly because he was always playing against McEnroe and Connors.  I also remember disliking Martina a lot, because in the 80s she was always beating up on Chris Evert Lloyd.  I grew to like both Lendl and Martina.

I think in his mind, it's some mind game where he's going to show them how little their boos, lack of accolades bother him (when we all know it eats away at him like crazy). But perhaps "I'll hate you before you can hate me." The offense vs the defense. I don't know that he's doing the full-blown villain role as that would be more of a Kyrgios thing and I don't know that he wants to be lumped in with him, moments of brilliance like Kyrgios getting to the Wimbledon final last year. 

Or perhaps he's his own worst enemy which is often the case with insecure people. The mocking the crowd, the breaking his racket in the final (and I laughed at him for the several minutes he kept shaking his wrist - you did it to yourself, dummy - although not as funny, realizing his son and a young friend were watching his childish display), his constant seeking of adoration and not wanting the crowd to root for anyone but him. 

Can I say again how beautiful it was to wake up this morning and realize Joke was denied:

- #24 and the peacocking around with his paraphernalia

- #8 Wimbledon title

- #1 in the world

- Calendar Slam

Possibly UO, but I wasn't a fan of McEnroe or Connors - some of their tennis excellence, sure, but their on and off court antics turned me off on them in general. I always loved Martina and her "get shit done" attitude even though I loved Chrissy and, in later years, Steffi, as well.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 7/16/2023 at 4:37 PM, roseha said:

Well the great Hsieh Su-Wei also just won her sixth major doubles title, too bad ESPN was more interested in running a bunch of commercials than showing us the trophy ceremony.

You could try watching the match "on demand" in the ESPN app and skip to the end, although that did not work for me and I had to resort to the website. Spoiler: Hsieh Su-Wei didn't speak at all during the trophy ceremony.

Edited by dcalley
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, dcalley said:
On 7/16/2023 at 4:37 PM, roseha said:

The great Hsieh Su-Wei

First off, glad that you gave her the honorific “Great.”  Well deserved.  She’s always been one of my favorite players to watch.  A true tribute to her gifts and work ethic that this wisp of a woman was able to compete successfully at such a high level against a battalion of Amazons.

• Like 3

So pleased and happy for Coco.  She looked fantastic this week.

I’m also enjoying Andrea Petkovic as commentator.  Really informative, opinionated, intelligent and funny.

Edited by Harry24
  • Like 4
On 8/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, khyber said:

Great for Sinner and Pegula. Nice to see other faces win.

I hope Sinner can develop into a true rival for Alcaraz.  He seems like a lovely boy.

So impressed by Pegula.  She has clearly been struggling with choking in the big moments, and this week she totally choked against both Gauff and Swiatek, but then managed to hang in and win both those matches.  I hope this result helps her shake off the choking.  And that she passes that along to her doubles partner!  Pegula, as impressive as she is, is charisma-free, and I find it hard to get truly excited about her.  Coco, now, is another story.  Hope she can shake off the choke-itis too!

Edited August 19 to add: Yay, Coco!!!!!!!  Way to stay strong!

Edited by Harry24
  • Like 7

Carlos should have closed out the match in 2 sets. I also think Joker was not struggling with the heat as much as he appeared. 

Agree that Carlos needs to get revenge at the Open - he'll be looking to defend his title and his ranking. 

• Like 5

And Alcaraz, Sinner and Zverev are in the same quarter, with Medvedev and Rune in the other quarter of the top half.  EVERYONE dangerous is in the other half from FFF (Fuck-Face Faker.)

Women’s draw sucks for me: Coco, Petra and Iga are in the same quarter.  Damn!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Happy for Thiem, that was not an easy first round. I wonder what happened to Rune. 

So happy for Thiem!  

I think I heard a commenter say that Rune hasn’t won a match since Wimbledon.  I don’t know if there’s an injury in the mix.

Very bummed Korda lost.  I didn’t see any of it, but I was wondering if the ankle injury was a factor.

Come ON, Coco!!!!!

• Like 2

Wow, go, Taylor!!!  (Mom Taylor, not skinny white boy Taylor, who’s not a big favorite of mine.). Great win against Haddad-Maya.  Looking forward to watching the recording later.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don’t know anything serious against Fritz*, but I find him boring, and it bugs me when someone so handsome destroys it by looking like he’s wearing whatever he picked up off the floor, along with deeply unflattering facial scruff. It would be one thing if he was charmingly self-conscious of his handsomeness or something, but he just went from looking beautiful to looking like he smells bad.

That said, I respect the hell out of him for making the leap from the Top 20 into the Top 10.  That is one hellacious leap to make at this point in a career, and I’m so impressed by it.  See also: Rafter, Patrick (who was beyond dreamy and was seemingly even nicer than he was gorgeous, plus two Grand Slams!)

*(It’s not like he gets get cuddly with war criminals, as far as I’m aware.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I thought Woz was done and commentating was her new career! Good on her. But yeah, that outfit was not the most flattering and looked uncomfortable ~she was always tugging it down. 

Really bummed Thiem got sick and had to throw in the towel. The commentators mentioned he has an ongoing illness, but also implied there might be a mental  component, so not sure what's going on there. The poor guy cannot seem to get his mojo back. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Really bummed Thiem got sick and had to throw in the towel. The commentators mentioned he has an ongoing illness, but also implied there might be a mental  component, so not sure what's going on there. The poor guy cannot seem to get his mojo back. 

Yeah, that was too bad, and I was bummed that Eubanks got sick as well.   He ran off to take a bathroom break and requested nausea medication before throwing in the towel.  

• Sad 3

Well, Isner lost today and retired.  I'm guessing there are some players who are happy they won't have to play five-set tiebreakers with him lasting after midnight anymore. 🤣

And, of course, he went out on a five-set tiebreaker. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not an Isner fan, but he was so emotional, it got to me. 

I see Berettini had to retire today also. And Hurkacz played sick. Must be some kind of flu running through the tournament. Hope the rest of the players are taking extreme precautions.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm a Taylor Fritz fan & I think he's just not full of himself & doesn't care what he wears.  I like that about him ... other than his fabulous handsomeness.  He can't help his body type & it seems to work well for him ... LOL.  On the other hand, his GF seems incongruous!!??

• Like 2