Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Fresh Start, New Faces

And we're off!! It's the second season of Real Housewives of Melbourne!

We have two new girls (Gamble Breaux and Pettifleur Berenger) (yes, they are their names!) and one less Andrea Moss.

Here are their intros:

Gina...

I deal in fact not friction.

Lydia...

I love tradition but I am noooooo traditional housewife.

Janet...

Some people have ups and downs. I have roller coasters.

Jackie...

Make fun of me all you want, but I'm still going to shine.

Chyka...

Style is an attitude, not something you can buy.

Gamble...

Gamble on me and you're sure to win.

Pettifleur...

This little flower is NO shrinking violet.

Here is a link to the official Arena channel (the Australian version of Bravo) Housewives page http://www.arenatv.com.au/shows/real-housewives-of-melbourne/the-housewives.html

Let the fun begin!!

Edited by CrinkleCutCat
  • Love 1

Our series kicks off with the planning and big night of Janet's birthday party. The housewives are determined to start fresh and put last year's tensions behind them. Things are more or less going to plan when two newcomers enter the picture: art lover Gamble and property developer Pettifleur. It's quickly clear these newbies have pluck and guts but, in taking on our housewives, they're gonna need it!

• Love 1

The glamour and glitz is back and I'm loving it. What a stark contrast to the Cheshire ladies.

So, my first instinct of the new girls was that I'd like Pettifleur and not like Gamble, but Gamble seems a bit new age extra yet harmless while Pettifleur may flip on the bitch switch too often. Hope she at least has a sense of humor.

• Love 1

Petitfleur seems like she is just looking for a fight. Every little thing she said was just bitchy. Janet starts in on Gina right away at her party with the drag queen comment but i like that she was like WTF am i doing this for. 

Chyka looks great as does Lydia but Jackie is looking a bit rough. Gina and Bettina. Why do parents give their children rhyming names?! 

• Love 1

Now that I've watched the episode back while not half asleep...

Frozen peas and tabasco sauce? Trick, what?! The look her partner gave her said it all. I had half a mind to snark about the website they really found each other being the same one where Cody and George from RHONY met, but Rick seems to dote on her and Gamble has been relatively inoffensive (her voice aside) so far. 

The contrast between Chyka and Jackie joking and laughing in one limo(?) and Gina/Lydia sitting in awkward silence in the other was hilarious.

Lydia, as daft as she can be, is quite attractive and has maintained a youthful look without looking over plasticized. They threw her a bone last reunion with "wow" and now she's putting it in overdrive. Shine x 3 is enough. Good for her apologizing to Gina (I believe Gina already apologized last season). I may not mind her as much with 'Her Wretchedness' gone.

I wasn't a fan of Pettifleur's catty comments right out the gate and she clearly has an agenda (as do most of the others) to promote her book, but I'm still interested in her back story.

The only thing I liked about Janet this episode was how overcome with emotion she was when her son who survived the fire made it to her party. Apart from that, she's giving me cryptkeeper chic and her nostrils bother me. From the numerous Gina digs, which I felt were an effort to cloud Gamble's judgement before she even met Gina, to this blog, it's apparent that last season wasn't a fluke and stirring the shit is Janet's wheelhouse as we'll soon see with these stripper rumors about Gamble. 

Edited by quetzal
  • Love 2

The new ladies have a ways to go before I warm to them. But at least "Shine Shine Shine!!!" is back! I love Jackie. And I think Janet had more work done over the hiatus. One of these days her face will fall off.

• Love 1

I found this episode slow and early on the ladies were playing too hard for the cameras. You could tell they were looking at mistakes from season one and trying to craft the perfect image. Still, I have faith this season is going to be fabulous once it starts kicking off.

• Love 1
(edited)

From Janet's blog, about the first episode:

"It is here I would like to point out a very important scene. In the car on the way to my party, Gina tells Lydia that she has heard from two independent sources, no three independent sources that Lydia has split up with her husband Andrew. Ooops is Gina gossiping? Remember this you guys, it is really important."

Hmmmm...... Wonder which is important? The Gina gossiping bit or the Lydia split up bit?!

Edited by CrinkleCutCat

Gina gossiping of course! It's like Chyka says in the next episode. You don't want to know gossip about a friend and not tell them, then have the friend find out the gossip AND that you knew about it but said nothing. Janet's just mad Gina's face, though spackled with makeup, ain't scaring children across Australia.

• Love 3

Woo hoo I'm so excited that they are going to be airing this on Thursday evenings, as opposed to weekend mornings, here in the states!  In fact, I think it starts tomorrow night---shine shine shine!

Janet is certainly the little shit stirrer, isn't she? Talking crap about Gina to the new girl before they even meet. Seems like the returning cast members have picked up where they left off. Lydia is still daft, Jackie is an airhead, Chyka is the peacemaker, Gina is Gina, makeup and matchy match clothes and accessories. 

I haven't made up my mind about Gamble, her voice is killing me, it's all in her nose and the roof of her mouth. What's the deal with the old dude she is with? Pettifleur seems like a bitch on wheels. I mean the way she was bitching at her housekeeper I wanted to smack her. 

What is up with these women and their hooker shoes? And tight glitter dresses. Geez. It was actually refreshing to see Lydia in a dress that was flowy.

Looking forward to the season! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Ah, the second year, where everyone has become much more conscious of how they look. For Gina, that means toned down makeup. Eyeshadow wasn't as dark and the Lipliner and lipstick were closer in color. Jackie had more makeup, and Lydia lost weight. Even the THs has the ladies in softer light.

And the newbies. Ugh. One has had so much Botox it's painful for her to talk (or at least for me to have to listen to her talk). And the other is a try-to-hard bitch. Oy.

Edited by qtpi75
(edited)

Exhausted by the callousness in Atlanta and Beverly Hills? Take a trip down under to check out the local dodo birds.

I saw my first episode of this franchise earlier today when I caught the last two episodes of the last season.  I never had a chance to watch it until today.  I just have to say, these women are a little long in the tooth if you ask me. 

Janet reminds me of a cross between Kari Wells from Married To Medicine http://media3.giphy.com/media/10K4FzT3i4jzUY/200_s.gif and Lea Black from Real Housewives of Miami http://www.allabouttrh.com/wp-content/themes/AllAboutTRH/timthumb.php?src=http://www.allabouttrh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Screen-Shot-2013-08-20-at-2.06.43-AM.png&w=451&zc=1.  I would love to see a picture of her before all of the procedures to her face. 

Chyka has that weird hairstyle.  I just want to know why?  It really ages her if you ask me. 

Gina would look better without the spackled on makeup and really bad hair.  Every time I see her I think of Joan Cusack in the movie Working Girl.  http://www.hairromance.com/wp-content/uploads/image-import/-fGhOHwtxb6U/ToRjzrZycpI/AAAAAAAAAso/XVjDitqwSt0/s320/JC-joancusack-workinggirl-well.png

The worst of the bunch to me is Jackie.  She thinks she's hot stuff with her "rock star" husband, but I find something off about her face.  Her eyes are too close together or something.  http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2015/news/150316/jackie-gillies-800.jpg  She's a "butterface", but at least she's real upbeat.  lol 

This episode was boring.  I hope to watch this franchise if they can keep me interested.  I think I need to watch last season first if I can find it on On Demand.  They seem interesting enough.  Glad to know Americans aren't the only superficial "flash with no substance" humans on the face of the planet. 

Edited by swankie
  • Love 4

I LOVE Gamble. I hope she stays friends with Gina. I still like Chyka, but she's so worried about being positive and happy that she doesn't always stand up for what is right. However, she does sometimes, and I really like her.

Anyway, back to Gamble. I really don't care about whatever rumors there are. Really, I dont. Rumors suck, and so far she seems sweet, quirky, loyal, nice, and...just, well, I have a lot in common with her or already see traits, like her being so outgoing, that I'm not, but I admire. I think Gina is definitely taking it slow with a very small side-eye to Gamble's quick loyalty. I don't blame her after last season and the likes of the Horrid One and Lydia. However, I think Gamble is sincere. I loved her style and think it's awful about Pettifleur's rufe comments. My style is much more in sync with Gamble's. Gamble I would definitely, definitely want as a friend...only if she didn't count my calories, but she is welcome to motivate me to go to the gym. Gamble, please have a crush on me AND Gina. ;)

• Love 1

I saw my first episode of this franchise earlier today when I caught the last two episodes of the last season.  I never had a chance to watch it until today.  I just have to say, these women are a little long in the tooth if you ask me. 

Janet reminds me of a cross between Kari Wells from Married To Medicine http://media3.giphy.com/media/10K4FzT3i4jzUY/200_s.gif and Lea Black from Real Housewives of Miami http://www.allabouttrh.com/wp-content/themes/AllAboutTRH/timthumb.php?src=http://www.allabouttrh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Screen-Shot-2013-08-20-at-2.06.43-AM.png&w=451&zc=1.  I would love to see a picture of her before all of the procedures to her face. 

Chyka has that weird hairstyle.  I just want to know why?  It really ages her if you ask me. 

Gina would look better without the spackled on makeup and really bad hair.  Every time I see her I think of Joan Cusack in the movie Working Girl.  http://www.hairromance.com/wp-content/uploads/image-import/-fGhOHwtxb6U/ToRjzrZycpI/AAAAAAAAAso/XVjDitqwSt0/s320/JC-joancusack-workinggirl-well.png

The worst of the bunch to me is Jackie.  She thinks she's hot stuff with her "rock star" husband, but I find something off about her face.  Her eyes are too close together or something.  http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2015/news/150316/jackie-gillies-800.jpg  She's a "butterface", but at least she's real upbeat.  lol 

This episode was boring.  I hope to watch this franchise if they can keep me interested.  I think I need to watch last season first if I can find it on On Demand.  They seem interesting enough.  Glad to know Americans aren't the only superficial "flash with no substance" humans on the face of the planet.

The show grows on you. It's got Lydidiot (the sex idiot), Janet (ghost of Kylie Minogue's Christmas future and preeminent shit stirrer), Jackie (rock star wife, delusional, and shiny), Gina (drag queen/lawyer), and Chyka (the one with the gay husband).

About this episode, there is no American housewives franchise that would steer into the skid of the Lydia Gina debacle. I love this show for letting it hang there with no talking head or musical score. Just plain awkwardness.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is it the weather in Australia or something, because I've noticed that the women on this show have the absolute worst hair ever?  Very stringy, damaged and unkempt looking.  Just sayin.

I just need to make it clear to Jackie:  Your stumpy little husband doesn't look a THING like Johnny Depp!  So shut it!!!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 1
(edited)
Is it the weather in Australia or something, because I've noticed that the women on this show have the absolute worst hair ever?  Very stringy, damaged and unkempt looking.  Just sayin.

The prize for bad hair will forever belong to OC, as long as Vicki and Tamra are on it. I think for the RHOM, the reason why their hair looks bad is, as one poster pointed out above they are a bit long in the tooth, yet insist on wanting a mane in a length more suitable for a 25 year old. Unless your a freak of nature like Kyle on BH, age and processing take a toll on hair, no matter what stylist you go to or how much money you have. 

The thing I appreciate about this franchise is that while most of the cast on the other franchises try to give the illusion that despite their money, they are just normal people, and they don't act any different than their peers. On RHOM, they are so freaking OTT and talk about the fabulosity of their lives, it's hilarious to watch. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 1
(edited)

I guess Gamble thought she was classing it up by saying that her name is in Shakespeare, meaning to frolic or some s***.

No, honey. If it's in Shakespeare, it's some variation of "gambol." 

I'm glad that Petty thinks she's the ultimate parent, teaching her children that the most important thing in life is to be successful. Silly me, I've spent all this time teaching my son to be kind and thoughtful. (As I sit here and gossip and bitch!)

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well, the women clearly are trying to recover from whatever bad impressions they left during season 1. I could see the stilted determination to present improved facades to the camera.

Still, Andrea was axed and for that I am grateful.

Lydia's face looks quite different. Maybe it's the weight loss. Instead of a necklace that says "Wow," she needs one that says "Duh." Wonder if her son's marriage is because of a pregnancy, because she implied they were all rushing toward a wedding.

Janet kind of horrifies me. Her face work is horrible and she tries too damn hard. She seems so unsettled, despite having a business and children. I don't like watching her rush from wacky hairdresser to wackier baker. So awkwardly scripted.

Does anyone know how La Mascara fared?

So Gina says she'll move to the US to be with her partner. Will she leave family and business behind? I'm not up to date on work permits and visas - she can't stay indefinitely, can she? Even a marriage doesn't guarantee one can remain in the US. Glad to see she toned down the makeup and spray tan; she should make another pass.

Chyka has been the most chic, but her hair is now too severe and her makeup is clownish.

If Gamble is named after Shakespeare' work, shouldn't it be Gambol? What a weird voice she has.

Not a fan of the other new one. Maybe the nasty persona is all for the camera. Because she was mean to her housekeeper, I can't be bothered to learn her name.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5
(edited)
Instead of a necklace that says "Wow," she needs one that says "Duh."

Thank you for my first laugh of the day!

Oh, and I want to ask our Australian forum members: Is Gamble's way of speaking the Australian equivalent of the Valley Girl in the U.S? Kind of sounds like it to me, but I wouldn't know. Thanks! I had to turn on CC to understand what she was saying.

And big hugs to Janet's son for being so courageous in not only attending the party, but also in agreeing to be on a TV show. Good on ya! (Is that the saying?)

And Janet's implants scare me. I have noticed that on skinny women, especially, the movement of the implants is not natural. As the woman is sitting there, nearly motionless, the implants seem to breathe on their own. They move under the skin, yet independent of the skin. It is frightening. I also noticed this on are Real Housewife of Beverly Hills, but I can't remember on whose skinny chest.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 1

It's hard for me to believe that, however old Gamble is, she's never managed to figure out that her name is Gamble, NOT Gambol, and that it doesn't appear anywhere in Shakespeare.

I'm glad to have that explained to me because I didn't know what the hell she was talking about when she mentioned Shakespeare, Gambol, not Gamble.  She said she met her boyfriend on eHarmony; I have a feeling he's closer to her in age than she wants us to think.

I thought Pettifleur was Brazilian at first.  

So much to see and hear.  Maybe that's why I like this version.

Gamble - Maybe this is vocal fry Aussie style?  I like her in the mix because she's going to make them crazy.  Looking Janet straight in the eye and telling her what she said was mean?  hahaha

Janet - Gosh she's an ugly person and I'm not talking about her heart.  Did anyone other than me catch that she develops properties and Petty develops properties and we are to believe in a city the size of Melbourne they don't know each other?  I wouldn't believe that if it was New York or Paris.

Gina - Interesting make up evolution.  It is still heavy and dramatic but it appears she has learned how to apply better.  It looked more professional and polished.  Maybe she's hired one of those drag queens to do her make up.

Lydia - She's pouting about something.  Even without Gina in the picture she seems sullen and silent.

Jackie - Lord, that didn't change.  Plus wasn't she one of the people slamming Chyka for giving gifts that came from her line?  Well that looked like a bottle of Mascara for the birthday to me.

Chyka - Her everyday wear has such style and class but she always loses me when she glams up.  Plus she is doing the 5-2 so I need to watch her waist since I'm considering the 5-2.

Melbourne - LOVED Gamble's house.  The view, the view, the view.

(edited)

Thanks HunterHunted, I didn't realize I was trying to figure out who Janet reminded me of until you mentioned Kylie Minogue. Although Janet has done something to her eyes since last season, because in repose she looks like a totally different person.

I couldn't stand Gamble initially because her intro was so pretentious and ridiculous, but mostly because her flat affect and voice made it so hard to me to understand what she was saying. Her voice! It's awful! But by the end of the show it seemed like she might end up being one of the more "normal" ones. I wonder what it was about Gina that made her glom on to her immediately. Recognition of the natural HBIC?

Gina is unique to the world. I don't know if it's possible to explain or describe Gina, she is unique to herself. I mean, anyone who can look calmly at Jackie and tell her her angels are demons...and appear to mean it, whoo.

I wish Lydia weren't so dumb. IMO she's the most naturally beautiful among them. But every time she says "to be frank" I side-eye.

IMO Jackie is the yappy little dog that won't shut up. But it did seem like she has fit in with these women, which didn't seem likely last year. She's definitely learned how to talk in soundbites in her THs.

This show is definitely a relief after all the sturm und drang of the BH franchise. I don't know what the rumors about Gamble are but I could not care less.

Edited by rubyred
Plus she is doing the 5-2 so I need to watch her waist since I'm considering the 5-2.

What is the 5-2?

I understand that the setups on all the RH shows are just the flimsiest excuses for bringing the stars of the show within clawing distance of each other. But it strains credulity, even for RH shows, that someone would be throwing a major party, particularly a birthday party, and particularly with the services of a planner, and only figure out a cake would be needed THE DAY OF THE PARTY. Not only that, but that they'd actually stroll in and have a high price bakery say, "Yeah, sure -- no problem!" It's nuts, even by RH standards.

Love, love the Australian accent, but I need closed caption to understand much of what the two new ones are saying.

I'm actually not a big fan. Somehow I find it hard to take them seriously, no matter how serious the line they're delivering, when delivered in that accent. And have you noticed that everyone -- not just the "Housewives", but everyone who appears on the show -- seems to call each other by name to an unnatural extent? Normally when two people are having a conversation, and they're the only ones in the room, they'll rarely call the other by name in the course of the conversation. But last night I couldn't help but notice that these folks do it in almost every sentence. Are they afraid they're going to forget the other person's name if they don't keep repeating it? That the other person will think they're talking to the wall behind them? What??

• Love 2

The Gina/Working Girl reference is spot on, unfortunate but spot on!! LOL!

• Love 1

What is the 5-2?

It is an eating strategy very popular in the UK and apparently Australia.  You eat normal 5 days a week and any 2 days you want you eat 500 calories (600 for men).  I have friends that swear by it to lose weight and say once you start it it is easy to continue the rest of your life.

• Love 2

I can't understand a damn word that Gamble woman is saying. This is gonna get old real fast.

I still just love Gina. She's like the Countess, can put you in your place and tell you off while smiling and not even breaking a sweat.

• Love 2
(edited)

Okay. Caught some of this show for the first time.

There is something off in the appearance of every one of these women. They are all ....so....uh....big boned...and husky. And over done. Christ, the colors, and the prints, and the matchy-match accessories, and the garish makeup and the big hair - all so busy and tacky. Yikes, my eyes hurt. Are we sure the cast aren't from RuPaul's show? Is any body tucking? Holy schmoly.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed listening to Lydia trying very, very hard to be deep and philosophical with her mother. She must've been sore for days after that. And I'm pretty sure I heard her say that her son is marrying her daughter-in-law? So either she has a son who's renewing his vows with his wife, or she has another son who's incredibly pissed off that his wife has run off with his brother.

• Love 4

I like this franchise, if only to see Australia and the environs. I too thought the first episode was a bit awkward; everyone has seen season one and attempted to improve their appearance and tone down their worst behavior traits.

Gina lost a layer of makeup and one accessory, but she still stands out. I love Gina. She was a bit too guarded in this episode for my liking. I love full on snarky Gina.

I thought Chyka looked wonderful. Thanks for explaining the 5-2. It worked, she has a great body. She is a bit too rehearsed though.

With Lydia, you can't change the stupid. And when she brought out the dress that Mama oohed and ahhhed about, I thought it was a dress from last season to show how much weight she lost. No taste whatsovever in clothes, our Lydia. She is a natural beauty though.

I can't bear looking at Janet, and the set up was just so contrived with the so called last minute plans for the birthday. Couldn't we have avoided the scenes with the cake baker and the party planner in order to see some of their homes, etc? The venue the party planner scored that the "last minute" looked tacky. Lisa V would not have approved.

Jackie just talks too much. And she looks dreadful.

I didn't pay much attention to Gamble except to laugh at the Shakespeare reference (Gambol would be a prettier name.). And Petit had her act overly rehearsed.

Looking forward to the rest of the season. Good riddance to the dermatologist's wife, forgot her name already.

• Love 2
(edited)

Notes on the returning ladies: I already dislike on the returning ladies.

Notes on Janet's cake: If there's one thing I'll believe, its that the cake was last minute.  What the hell was THAT!  Minus the adorbs candy Janet, it looked like crap was thrown on it and whatever stuck...well, were the decorations.  If this was Food Network Challenge, Miss Kerry Vincent would have read that cake.  Miss Kerry WOULD NOT approve.

Nots on the newbies:

Boy, I had Gamble and Pettifleur pegged wrong.  I think I'll be team Gamble (loved her compliment to Chyka's ample bosom) for now. 

Edited by CyberJawa1986

I thought Janet actually looked better, mostly around the eyes...younger.  Can't tell if it's due to make-up or a procedure.  Lydia, Chyka, and Gina looked good too.  I have trouble getting past Jackie, with her angels and the shine, shine though.  I'm nowhere close to being as interested in her as she appears to be in herself.  It does seem that Gina and Lydia took some notes from the first season and will be thinking twice before speaking on camera.  Janet on the other hand apears to have upped her mean girl level...which I find really nasty in a woman of her age.  Could she possibly think that makes her endearing?  There's a line betwen a character people love to hate and those who are simply hated.  Hope she locates it herself or is directed to it.

Anyone missing Andrea?  Not me. 

This franchise entertains me more than any in the US at this point.  I'm glad Bravo brought it back.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't understand what Gamble is saying. And when I can I still don't understand. Was she blind when she met her husband? Does she think Shakespear is the only playwright that used the word gamble? Did I not hear her? So many questions.

Edited by FozzyBear

I can't understand what Gamble is saying. And when I can I still don't understand. Was she blind when she met her husband? Does she think Shakespear is the only playwright that used the word gamble? Did I not hear her? So many questions.

Gamble's weirdly mumbled speaking pattern makes me think of a Stephanie Weir, from MADtv, character.

• Love 1