Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Affair

So, does that flashlight scene mean Ben is definitely innocent? It looked like someone put it in there to frame him, and he was alone when he found it and looked surprised, so it wouldn't be fair to the audience if that scene was fake. (Or, a stretch, he did it and someone is still trying to frame him?)

• Love 3

I think we are supposed to believe it's possible he did it and doesn't remember.  But then the frame-up makes no sense.   Last week I liked him and felt sorry for him. This week I wanted him to stop going around yelling and threatening to kill people.  Telling your best friend you have the murder weapon and then kicking him out of the house doesn't seem smart.

Where is Christy getting the money for all her goodies?

• Love 5

I'm posting as I'm watching, which I probably shouldn't do. But what was the gooey stuff on Dave's chest that made Ben realize his daughter had slept there? I didn't get that part. I guess I got that after that he recognized her shoes.

Way to jump to conclusions - Natalie really could have just passed out there drunk. Maybe try to ascertain what happened before kicking the guy out right in front of a detective. I get tired of men in TV having such tempers that they can't think straight.

If Natalie is currently worried she's pregnant, I'm surprised she's not taking a break from partying and sex.

Clearly this episode indicates Ben doesn't think he did it. If it turns out he did it and doesn't remember, that will be super lame. So I guess he's innocent (or else the show sucks).

• Love 2

I think the gooey stuff was the glitter makeup the daughter had on at the party. I sure wish I could figure out who would frame Ben. There's something about Jess's sister that bothers me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess her makeup being on his chest makes it less likely she just crashed in his bed while he slept on the floor or similar. My other guess was that it was her puke from being too drunk, but that didn't seem right either.

It's easy to believe Dave being attracted to Natalie, but hard to believe her being into him, especially given that she apparently has a boyfriend. I still lean towards nothing much having happened, and Ben overreacting.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone else wonder whether the "researcher" is a plant or something?  I got the feeling he was trying to empathize with Ben in order to fish for information.  To me that whole scene was weird and out of place, because nothing seemed to come of it.  Perhaps somewhere down the line there will be more explanation.  Was happy to see Michael Beach, though.

Ben's wife is very suspicious to me at this point.  She's always going out and dressed to the nines to do so.  Plus she seemed to be keeping that secret about their oldest daughter from Ben intentionally.  And like Ben said she seems to be allowing Cornell in the house to search for any reason.

Cornell's only function seems to be showing up at the Crawford house without notice. We've seen her maybe once or twice at the police station?  Otherwise she's at their house trying to get the wife to consent to a search or harassing Ben about something or other.  Never have we actually seen her doing actual police work or building a case.  This is a real weakness in the way her character is written.  

Ben just can't catch a break!  I won't say that I particularly *like* him, but it seems like everything is happening to him all at once, and for that reason I feel a bit sorry for him.  The only person that seems to really like him is his youngest daughter.  Now that the mooching friend has been kicked out, there's no adult left in his corner that can be trusted.

I don't really know what to make of this episode because it was all over the place with no real direction.  I am, however, interested enough to see if and how the loose ends get tied up.

Edited by damalanop
  • Love 2

What bugged me more than anything else was Dave making absolutely no attempt to explain what had supposedly really happened, instead opting to just say over and over again "It's not what it looks like." Way to go, Pinkie Pie.

• Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone else wonder whether the "researcher" is a plant or something? I got the feeling he was trying to empathize with Ben in order to fish for information. To me that whole scene was weird and out of place, because nothing seemed to come of it. Perhaps somewhere down the line there will be more explanation.

Yeah, I figured he was a reporter who was smarter than the phalanx of reporters outside bens door. Is there anything in journalistic ethics to preclude that approach? I suppose he could have some ofher connection. I definitely don't think he was just s random guy who wanted his house painted. For one thing, besides all his super obvious sympathizing and questions, who gets their living room repainted when they're working "job to job"?

I would hope that if Dave didn't sleep with Natalie, he would understand why Ben would think that, and if he did, he would feel guilty. So he should still have some loyalty to Ben.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 3

Yeah, I was suspicious of the "researcher" painting job guy, too.  But he never really pushed Ben for info per se, so I'm not sure what was supposed to be going on there.  I wasn't quite sure why Ben started having a panic attack right then of all times - lots of other things have happened to him since the murder that were a lot worse than just some guy yammering on at you about being accused of being a sexual predator.

I said it last time and I'll say it again this time - this show relies way too much on the main character being super stupid to move the plot along/worsen the situation.  He just can't resist being seen by reporters at the victim's mother's house, keeping the victim's paternity secret until his family finds out on the news, showing up at a holiday party when he knows he's a social pariah and his presence will cause tension, grabbing and threatening to kill his daughter's boyfriend in the age of camera phones while he's already under investigation for murder, telling his friend a vital secret and then pissing his friend off, etc.

Why is he keeping that awful flashlight around anyway?  Wrapping it up as a Christmas present won't protect it from being searched if the police get a warrant or permission to search from his wife, who just loves to grant permission any ol' time.  And even if it did work, it would only "protect" it until December 25 anyway.

Why didn't the Army or whoever haul in that Scott guy for going AWOL?  Why did everyone believe Scott's alibi so readily?

• Love 3

Why didn't the Army or whoever haul in that Scott guy for going AWOL?  Why did everyone believe Scott's alibi so readily?

That's why the MPs were there with him, they were taking him back.

Ben is an idiot.

I know we were supposed to be somewhat creeped out by Backyard Dave(?)'s antics with the older daughter while they were hanging lights, but I was really creeped out by them. If he isn't being totally inappropriate with her, then that scene was played way too much in that direction.

Did anyone else wonder whether the "researcher" is a plant or something?  I got the feeling he was trying to empathize with Ben in order to fish for information.  To me that whole scene was weird and out of place, because nothing seemed to come of it.  Perhaps somewhere down the line there will be more explanation.  Was happy to see Michael Beach, though.

Oh, yeah, I totally think that guy is up to something.

I would love to see that Ben's wife is having an affair with Cornell.

Why was Scott in uniform and unshaven?

The complaining about the actress playing the older daughter being too old for the part is valid, but I'm really confused about the younger daughter.  That actress is a good 12 or 13 years old and they have her acting like an 8-year-old.

• Love 2

Why is he keeping that awful flashlight around anyway?  Wrapping it up as a Christmas present won't protect it from being searched if the police get a warrant or permission to search from his wife, who just loves to grant permission any ol' time.  And even if it did work, it would only "protect" it until December 25 anyway.

If he really wanted to get rid of it, drive to a lake, drop it off a bridge and be done with it.  Wrapping it up as a Christmas gift seemed pretty dumb to me. And there's no tag on the gift?  I really don't know what he's thinking regarding the flashlight unless he was just trying to buy some time.   Oh, and don't tell anyone about it either.  Not good, because now they guy he told is now talking to the police.

The wife clearly is being made to look like she's having an affair.   But I wonder if that's a red herring.

• Love 1

I was thinking the same thing.  These cases can go on for months or even years.  Maybe he was just trying to buy some time.  I still think it's dumb.

If he really wanted to get rid of it, drive to a lake, drop it off a bridge and be done with it.  Wrapping it up as a Christmas gift seemed pretty dumb to me. And there's no tag on the gift?  I really don't know what he's thinking regarding the flashlight unless he was just trying to buy some time.   Oh, and don't tell anyone about it either.  Not good, because now they guy he told is now talking to the police.

Ben did explain this, though.  He said he was being watched too closely.  So, if he tried to get rid of the flashlight he'll probably be stopped with it or the cops will even just watch to see where he dumps it and then recover it.

I know we were supposed to be somewhat creeped out by Backyard Dave(?)'s antics with the older daughter while they were hanging lights, but I was really creeped out by them. If he isn't being totally inappropriate with her, then that scene was played way too much in that direction.

At first I was totally creeped out, but then I was thinking that if the friend has known the kids since they were born (most likely), then maybe he just hasn't realized HOW inappropriate some of the same horseplay he did with the girls' when they were younger is as they grow older.  But, then the scene following with him drooling all over Natalie's classmate made me swing back to creepy.  I still don't think he did anything with Natalie.

The complaining about the actress playing the older daughter being too old for the part is valid, but I'm really confused about the younger daughter.  That actress is a good 12 or 13 years old and they have her acting like an 8-year-old.

I was coming on to say the same thing.  Except, I think she's acting even younger than 8.  They should've cast a 5-year old with the way they're directing her to act.

• Love 2

I was thinking the younger daughter is 11. That seems like the oldest she could be and still be so sincerely Daddy's girl with no attitude. She seems like her world has been shaken and she just really wants it to all be ok and she's holding onto that - that could even make a kid act slightly younger than they normally would.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here is the appropriate way to act when your BEST FRIEND'S 16 year old drunken daughter stumbles over to your house and passes out:

- "Dude, Natalie stumbled over to my place and is passed out in my bed...I'm crashing on YOUR couch."

- "Thanks for the heads-up dogfish...we'll take care of her."

Edited by dogfish
  • Love 5
(edited)

At first I was totally creeped out, but then I was thinking that if the friend has known the kids since they were born (most likely), then maybe he just hasn't realized HOW inappropriate some of the same horseplay he did with the girls' when they were younger is as they grow older. I still don't think he did anything with Natalie.

I have several friends with teenage daughters that I have known since birth. I am completely aware of how inappropriate it would be to "horseplay" with them like I did when they were younger.  I think most guys would agree.

I also agree that Dave did nothing too Natalie, but he did not do a good job pleading his case.

Edited by dogfish
  • Love 4

I am not enjoying seeing someone being persecuted for a crime he didn't commit. I believe Ben is innocent. I think I would have hid that flashlight away as well because it clearly is the murder weapon and he didn't put it in his car. I don't know who to think did it. I was leaning towards Ben's wife but hard to think she would kill an innocent kid. I think I'd rather know who did it, especially if it's not Ben, so I can enjoy watching the show play out.

• Love 2

The younger daughter seemed painfully thin to me in the scene where they were shopping for Christmas decorations. I still think she looks like Reese Witherspoon. The older daughter does look a lot older than she is supposed to be and the backyard friend is just creepy. 

I am tired of how dumb Ben is...really...???.... wipe off the flashlight and that's all you do. Everyone with any sense would know there are so many ways to detect blood and DNA now, that wiping it off does very little.

I again ask....did anybody in the set design team actually do any research on Charlotte? The summertime look in Dec is driving me crazy.

I want to like this show and I'll probably keep watching it now that Downton Abbey is over.

• Love 2

They've really had this random friend living in their backyard for many years? At first I thought he was Ben's brother, not because they look alike but because it would explain why he lived there, but this episode made it clear he's just a friend. Does he have any kind of job?

I assume Dave didn't come over to tell Ben that Natalie passed out there because Ben had asked him to talk to her and find out what was going on in her life, and because he's an idiot. I can see the two of them, both drunk, talking about all the stuff she's pissed about till they both fell asleep, like you do with drunk friends in college. Completely inappropriate but I doubt they actually had sex or anything like that.

There seems to be something weird going on between the younger daughter and Christy.  It might just be a Daddy's girl jealousy but she really seems to not like her youngest.

It also seemed like they were pushing the best friend/oldest daughter hookup TOO hard.  The tickling scene and his noticing other girls her age.  Seems like too much meaning he probably didn't do anything.

• Love 1

In Dave's defense, that was a VERY mature looking "16 year old" at the Christmas party.  I said "Wow. She's pretty hot." to myself when she came onscreen as well.  She was at the very least 21.  And if not, I'm going to hell right along with Dave.  :)

• Love 1

I assume Dave didn't come over to tell Ben that Natalie passed out there because Ben had asked him to talk to her and find out what was going on in her life, and because he's an idiot. I can see the two of them, both drunk, talking about all the stuff she's pissed about till they both fell asleep, like you do with drunk friends in college. Completely inappropriate but I doubt they actually had sex or anything like that.

I guess I missed that exchange.  In that case, I would agree that your assumption is probably right.  I still don't think Dave did enough to plead his case...you can't just say, 'Dude, it's not what it looks like' without elaborating.

I am annoyed that the "did he or didn't he" part of the show has been ruined so quickly with the flashlight. But having said that I thought it was kind of brilliant to wrap it up. I mean the cops are in his house looking like every day. You think cops are going to open a bunch of wrapped Christmas presents? I don't.

Other than that he's a hot-headed idiot. He's making mistakes left and right. Yelling and screaming at people. Getting into fights. Ugh.

I guess I missed that exchange.

I forget if it was this episode or the last, but Ben complained about Natalie not talking to him and then told Dave that she still talks to Dave but not to her parents, so can he talk to her or listen to her and find out what's going on and keep them posted, or something along those lines. So I figure letting her crash in his guest house and drunkenky complain about her dad was probably his idiotic way of doing that.

• Love 1

Did anyone else wonder whether the "researcher" is a plant or something?  I got the feeling he was trying to empathize with Ben in order to fish for information.  To me that whole scene was weird and out of place, because nothing seemed to come of it.  Perhaps somewhere down the line there will be more explanation.  Was happy to see Michael Beach, though.

Interesting theory.  I was thinking that now Ben is going to be linked with an accused sexual predator.   Maybe Ben did too and that's what set off his panic attack although really those flashbacks can happen any time for no reason after something that traumatic. 

I find Cornell the creepiest person on this show.  She is always at Ben's house, giving him the stink eye and letting him know she's not really looking at anyone else for the crime.  I even find her monotone voice creepy.   It's like she's just always following him around and for that reason I can see why Ben didn't dump the weapon although I cringed when he 1)handled it 2)wiped blood off with a rag that is still in the garage and 3) put it in a bag he owns.  I think the gift wrapping thing is to buy time.  I probably would have waited until trash day - and put it in the trash as soon as the garbage truck pulled up so no opportunity to search the trash.

• Love 1

No way in hell would Dave be a lady killer.  Sure he's funny, but he's a forty year old fat slob.  He lives off a friend, drinks beer first thing in the morning, and throws his one night stands over the fence.  Yet he not only picks up hot women daily, but he does this with no money, and must mooch off these women. And he's disgusting enough to make jokes about a child's murder.  I don't get it.

• Love 5
It's really strange how the media hang out in front of the house but the whole family manages to travel all over without an entourage of reporters.

There were also a couple of scenes where people drove off from the houses (the victim's mom's house and Ben's house) and no vans were around. You'd think the vans would be swarming any car around the victim's mom's house.

I am annoyed that the "did he or didn't he" part of the show has been ruined so quickly with the flashlight. But having said that I thought it was kind of brilliant to wrap it up. I mean the cops are in his house looking like every day. You think cops are going to open a bunch of wrapped Christmas presents? I don't.

Other than that he's a hot-headed idiot. He's making mistakes left and right. Yelling and screaming at people. Getting into fights. Ugh.

They still have him blacked out drunk for that evening so it is possible that he did it and someone (who was a possible accomplice) is trying to make sure that he is charged with the crime.   Writing that out, I see what kind of stretch it is.

I don't think this is what happened (I'm still leaning towards Ben is innocent), but MAYBE Ben was black out drunk and doesn't remember killing Tom OR hiding the flashlight in his truck.  Maybe he put it someplace and it was dislodged and rolled.  But, I doubt that because the cops would've searched that with a fine-tooth comb.

I still find it hard to believe that Poor Man's Galafinakis is getting that much.  The daughter (the PREGNANT daughter!)  If the baby comes out swilling beer wearing a beard, I think Ben should be allowed to kill him, with the detective holding him down.

Regarding the flashlight, Ben and the detective had looked in his car for the flashlight and couldn't find it.  If he had reported finding it immediately, the fact that Cornell had previously searched the car may have worked in his favor.  Of course, he believes that Cornell is not interested in how the evidence exonerates him--and frankly, I think that sentiment is justified--so I guess it's understandable that he does not trust her.  I was actually wondering if the flashlight was planted by Cornell to see how he would react to it.

Is it me, or is Cornell trying to display some empathy in her conversations with them?  Not saying she's successful, but still...

How is it possible that Ben still doesn't have a lawyer?  I know that the one lawyer was not interested until Ben was arrested, but surely there are others who would want a high-profile client like this.  Someone needs to tell the family to stop speaking to the police without a lawyer.  Yeesh!  Based on the way they're behaving, you'd think that Law & Order hadn't been on for 20+ seasons!

Regarding Natalie, I was hoping that someone would think of calling the police to bust a party with underage people getting served alcohol, but of course Ben had to come and threaten to kill someone!  I did get the impression that Cornell was exasperated with him regarding his stupidity, rather than seeing it as a sign of his guilt.  Maybe that's progress?

Regarding the flashlight, Ben and the detective had looked in his car for the flashlight and couldn't find it.  If he had reported finding it immediately, the fact that Cornell had previously searched the car may have worked in his favor.  Of course, he believes that Cornell is not interested in how the evidence exonerates him--and frankly, I think that sentiment is justified--so I guess it's understandable that he does not trust her.  I was actually wondering if the flashlight was planted by Cornell to see how he would react to it.

I was wondering the same, since she easily could have planted it intentionally and waited for reaction. Presumably if he was totally innocent he would tell her about it and be completely confused as to how it got there, and if he was guilty, he'd try to hide it. Of course by now he's so paranoid that I don't think she can justifiably read into any of his reactions. 

I'm really liking this. It reminds me of Broadchurch, but with more action. A lot of what Ben does isn't making sense, but I think he's just in complete disbelief, angry, and can't think straight. Normally his wife might be the voice of reason, but between their marital problems and her penchant for letting cops roam free in their house, he can't really rely on her. Then there are problems with the older daughter, and with the BFF... Plus he finds out the little boy was his... All in the matter of days. So I think some of his illogical choices are just a sign of complete panic.

Not a good moving throwing out the friend, since Ben made the stupid mistake of telling him about finding and hiding the flashlight.  Ben totally should have come clean to Cornell about finding the flashlight.  Of course it looks bad, but not as bad as when someone will eventually open up that Christmas present down the line!  The truth will set you free (of course only IF you are innocent).

In addition to the flashlight, I think the backyard bum friend knows more about what Ben did that night than he has admitted.  Plus, the African American neighbor who hates Ben so much probably saw something too--like Ben going into Jess's house.  Between the two of them, they will finally get Ben arrested.

Thanks for pointing out that it was Ben's daughter with Ben's friend. I didn't catch that for some reason. I just assumed it was some young girl. I also think there is something fishy about the wife. But can't figure out why she would kill the son. She seems so calm, cool and collected. Sometimes waaaaaay to calm. Like obnoxiously calm. I would think she would Kill Jess rather than the boy. I think that Ben is innocent. Unless the light somehow became dislodged, but I can't see the show going there.This show is so frustrating!

The wife is really getting on my nerves!  First letting Cornell come on in whenever she damn well pleases....no.  Get a warrant and get off my property.  Then not wanting to discuss the pregnancy test because she had a dinner with "clients".  Again no.  That was a drop everything kind of moment and she treated her own husband like a child.

I don't think the bum friend did anything wrong although of course it looks bad.  Ben probably shouldn't have kicked out the only adult who is on his side right now.  Ben does a lot of dumb things.  But he is still the most (only?) sympathetic person on the show.

• Love 1

I took almost a week to watch this because I can't help it, I'm such a sucker for a mystery show and so I want to know what happened to Tom but this show is so frustrating. Juliette Lewis is just killing this thing for me, though thankfully there was a lot less of her this episode. Ben is definitely acting stupidly at points but I get it. It's literally like his whole life is crashing in around him. 

About the episode, I guess it explained why the woman's sister seemed to be giving Ben the stink eye in the Pilot and second episode. She was banging the sister's husband so knew he was with her the night Tom was killed and so she probably thinks like everyone else that Ben is guilty. Still, it's amazing that she was so self righteous when she was banging her sister's husband, estranged or not. 

The older daughter is obnoxious and annoying and she soundly deserves a slap across the face for her bullshit. Her douchebag boyfriend was the one who thought it perfectly acceptable to not only put his hand on a grown man but one who happens to be the father of his girlfriend. The guy comes and finds his underage daughter at a party he expressly told her not to attend, demands she gets in the car and this tool thinks it's okay to come in the guy's face saying, "she said she's not going" and throw a punch at him? Like say what now...I feel like I'm some grandmother thinking "is that how kids are raised today? That someone thinks that is okay?"

And speaking of that incident, this is exactly what I mean about Juliette Lewis' character killing the show for me. So somehow this video is some big proof of what exactly? Again, teenage douchebag swung at Ben first, when Ben was only trying to get his underage daughter out of a party she had no business being at (and I wonder if Cornell cared about all the underage drinking that was happening at that place).

And he told some little shit who again had just swung a punch at him that he'd kill him if he ever came near his daughter again. Right, because no one has ever said that to anyone before. Plus, you would think someone who is such a cold and calculating murderer as she clearly seems to think Ben is, would be smart enough to not threaten anyone in public, knowing what people are thinking and saying about him. I want to find out who killed Tom but this show is not doing it for me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Juliet lewis is only good when she plays herself. She's embarrassing inthis role, trying to be a quirky detective. I have a hard time looking at her she's so annoying.

I can't even with Juliet Lewis.  Never have been.  She's downright laughable in this role but you know what? kinda like with somebody falling off a cliff, I can't help but watch, even though there's nothing I can do to stop it.  I could look away, I suppose, but ..... nope.  Gotta watch.

I'm tired of every teenager being sullen and rebellious.  Can't a show have a nice kid once in a while?

I KNOW!!!  This drives me crazy and I want to just slap that girl and tell her to sit down and shut up and appreciate what she's got. And she looks waaaaay too old to be a teenager.

If you want to see a nice teenager, watch "The Middle" and check out Sue Sue Heck (yes, her middle name is Sue too).

Why would someone take lasagna to Ben and his family? How can a mom who works just part time afford that huge house in that lovely neighborhood?

They stressed that the lasagna was for the mother and girls.  Apparently, Ben wasn't supposed to eat any.

• Love 1