Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

Dominic Purcell can be intense, scary and intimidating when he wants to be (I thought he was just about the only thing which worked in Blade Trinity), so I have no idea why he is playing Heatwave as so laid back and laconic. A pyromaniac with control issues should be...more, somehow. Wentworth Miller, who I'm less familiar with, on the hand seems to be genuinely enjoying himself as Captain Cold and I enjoy watching actors have a good time. I do agree Ray is probably going to be the weak link on the spinoff, depending on what kind of a show they go for and what his role really is. If Ray is going to be the front and center star I'm not sure BR has the charisma or acting chops to pull it off. If Ray is just going to be the money guy, not in the suit or on screen all the time, while Sara or Cold or someone else is the focus it might not be such a big deal. We'll have to see.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

I don't think any character would be the obvious lead like Oliver or Barry are on their shows. I actually like this, I always prefer ensemble shows, and if Ray will suck, they could gradually reduce his importance in favor of those characters who work better (on the other hand, they didn't do it with Laurel, except taking away the love interest role from her...)

• Love 2

Dominic Purcell can be intense, scary and intimidating when he wants to be (I thought he was just about the only thing which worked in Blade Trinity), so I have no idea why he is playing Heatwave as so laid back and laconic. A pyromaniac with control issues should be...more, somehow.

*caugh*ryan reynolds*cough* :D

I'm not feeling Heatwave which is a shame because I like Purcell, he was great in Prison Break and Blade Trinity. I thought he improved this past episode but still not something I can claim to like or love. Maybe he'll be better on the spin-off, he'll get more development.

I just hope he's a decoy casting who gets killed off in one of the first episodes to motivate Captain Cold (because we all know these writers can't figure out a way to motivate a character without killing someone close to him).

Yes, RR was good in Trinity too (he pretty much always is) but that's because his Hannibal King was just there to smart ass (which he is VERY good at) and kill time (and a few vampires) until Blade showed up. 

Yes, RR was good in Trinity too (he pretty much always is) but that's because his Hannibal King was just there to smart ass (which he is VERY good at) and kill time (and a few vampires) until Blade showed up. 

Yeah, the role was pretty much perfect for Reynold's abilities.  I did love his fight scene with Triple H and the tiny vampire dogs.

I really liked Purcell in Blade Trinity, he was a good villain, hell there were times i wanted him to win, he was way more interesting than the good guys.

I thought he was a little scary when he was killing the girl in the store, but overall...yeah, lounge lizard-y is a way of describing his Drake. He was emoting a little more than as Heatwave, was my original point. 

Justice Society of America?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_Society_of_America

the article said Hawkgirl wasn't one of the 3 characters previously announced but if she's not this cast is going to be insane.

Sara, Ray, Stein, Cold, Heatwave, Hawkgirl, plus 3 extra characters. I know Arrow and Flash both have large casts but not every member of the cast is a masked hero. Seems like an awfully big cast to start with.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Hawkgirl spoils my theory.  If Sara came back from the Lazarus Pit a crazed bad guy, and Ray Palmer did turn into villain as it seems from the last episode, then except for Firestorm, it would have been Team Villains instead of Team Good Guys.

I don't know, it sounds to me like the casting description, especially the "her fury is ignited and she becomes a fierce warrior" part.

And if the EPs of the spinoff are considering Hawkgirl to have never appeared on TV before, I'm good with that. She appeared on Smallville in a painting, and in super quick flashback scenes, but that was it.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2

Just curious is anyone going to tune in if Caity isn't Sara? Because I'm on the fence about it.

At this particular moment in time, my feeling is probably not, but that is subject to change. I have a hard time believing it won't be Sara though, with all the secrecy.

I don't know, it sounds to me like the casting description, especially the "her fury is ignited and she becomes a fierce warrior" part.

And if the EPs of the spinoff are considering Hawkgirl to have never appeared on TV before, I'm good with that. She appeared on Smallville in a painting, and in super quick flashback scenes, but that was it.

yeah, I figured she was the female in the casting description so I was surprised when TV Line said she wasn't one of those 3 characters.

Just curious is anyone going to tune in if Caity isn't Sara? Because I'm on the fence about it.

for me it all hinges on CL as Sara. I loved the character, hated that they killed her off so Laurel could steal her life, so getting Sara back in some form (preferably LP Sara) would lift some of my hate/resentment. Finding out that this isn't Sara, just someone that looks like her would take my hatred to 11.
  • Love 4

I won't watch it regardless - I'm really wary of these show runners at the moment; I'm hesitant to get invested in any of their other work. 

• Love 12

I'm conflicted as well. I want to support CL but I don't want to support these EP's. However I will only check it out if Caity's playing Sara, preferably LP'd Sara.

With Hawkgirl and a Time Traveling Hero, risen from the dead Sara would fit right in with them. 

Edited by Sakura12

My problem is I don't really want CL to play a verison of Sara. I want her to play Sara. But at the same time, I know they won't let her be Black Canary or any Canary because that would interfer with Laurel on Arrow. And I hate the idea of Sara not getting her name (that she earned) back. It would also really annoy me everytime I watch BC Sara and flip to BC Laurel.

• Love 3

http://images.playbill.com/photos/ren.jpg

there's an image of our new hawkgirl. I can definitely see it.

I might dvr a few episodes if Caity isn't Sara but given my complete lack of interest in anything BR is in, probably no. Sara trumps Ray Palmer, so in that case I'll watch until they (the EPs) inevitably alienate me. :-)   

Although Arthur Darvill (and time travel!) might make that decision much harder. 

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 1

I'll give it a few watches but that is because of Victor Garber. I think CL was pretty kickass and her stuntwork was good so as long as her character is written well to her strengths I'll tune in. As much as I liked Sara on Arrow, I don't feel overly invested in them bringing her back or keeping her dead. I just want it to be believable and not put too much of a strain on an already stressed Arrow.

They should cast Freema Agyeman as Vixen and bring her over to the spin off. They could always use another female hero. 

Doctor Who and Spartacus, I guess we know what shows the EP's and casting department like. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

Rory?! This is the most random cast ever. I don't have much faith in it though and I'm pretty concerned about the state of Arrow (and The Flash less so because I don't watch it that often). Arrow's quality went down when the EP's split their workload to The Flash and now there's this and Supergirl too. Unless they get more people onboard to run things, I can only think of one big mess ahead. 

• Love 5

Wow, do I keep jumping back and forth on this:

Atom spinoff: Eh.

Victor Garber: Ooooh!

Captain Cold: Oooooh!

Arrow's last episode: Are you kidding me with this Ray Palmer dude?  Not tuning in.

Hawkgirl: OOOOOH!

Rory: Hmm.

I feel very emotionally manipulated here. That, or I'm fickle. 

• Love 9

Ask and shall receive, @tarotx!

They cast Ciara Renée as Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl:

http://tvline.com/2015/03/30/arrow-flash-spinoff-hawkgirl-ciara-renee-cast/

Full disclosure, I know Ciara (we've performed together) and I'm very excited to see what she will do with this role. She graduated from college less than 2 years ago, and got cast in her first Broadway show almost immediately. I know I'm biased, but she's a fierce actress with an amazing voice, and will be awesome to watch.

• Love 9

I'm a little thrown by the Arthur Darvill casting. I mean, I loved Rory, but....I didn't see that coming.

It's really silly I know - I know nothing about that character in the comics. But the image TVLine used reminded me of Tyler Hoechlin, so that's more the type I was expecting. :) Now I'm having to realign my mental picture.

Are they trying to fill this show with fan favorites from a bunch of different shows? 

They have Sara, Spydaddy, the Prison Break brothers and Rory from Doctor Who. I guess they have to make up for having a failure with ATOM. 

• Love 2

My problem is I don't really want CL to play a verison of Sara. I want her to play Sara. But at the same time, I know they won't let her be Black Canary or any Canary because that would interfer with Laurel on Arrow. And I hate the idea of Sara not getting her name (that she earned) back. It would also really annoy me everytime I watch BC Sara and flip to BC Laurel.

This is exactly why at first - I said I didn't want Caity to play Sara.  I loved Sara and hated that they killed her for what appears to be stupid plot points that could have been accomplished other ways. I also don't want to see them LP anyone who has been dead for months - heal someone, sure, heal the "mostly" dead, fine - but resurrect someone who has been dead and in the ground for months? No thanks, that creates a mess as to why they never do it to anyone else.

I could accept clone Sara I guess (if that is where they are going with Shado in the past), but I had wanted her to cut and dye her hair and just BE someone else.  Funny thing is, my first choice for her was Hawkgirl.  So, I'm excited enough they have cast a Hawkgirl that they have me very, very interested.  This is my daughter's favorite female action hero so I also want to see if I can let her watch it.

Hmmm maybe the new time travel character is how we get Sara on the show.  Sara's Canary in the past with the LOA (and maybe Nyssa) and ATOM/Firestorm in the present?  Maybe they will have another character set for the future?  Or maybe some unknown force pulls them all together from past and present as a new team?  It's comics - we can have magic! :)

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 1

Are they trying to fill this show with fan favorites from a bunch of different shows?

They have Sara, Spydaddy, the Prison Break brothers and Rory from Doctor Who. I guess they have to make up for having a failure with ATOM.

They just need to get someone from Game of Thrones, and then they would really be set.

Not sure what to make of the Arthur Darvill news.  I love him, but I worry that I will think of him as Rory.  Even on Broadchurch, I still think of him as Rory.  Maybe it will change (I can separate Karen Gillian from Amy now), but it might be a bit challenging for me.

It's a Team Up show. It's been talked about like Ocean's 11, the Ratpack. Meaning a group of people working together. You can't have a group of heroes working together and randomly show Sara in the past when there would be no reason to do that. If Sara's on the show, she's part of the team in the present. 

Sara could be alive right now and have been put in the Lazarus Pits hours after her death by someone. The Lazarus Pits is magical water that heals instantly, there are no real world rules with it. And being comics things change all the time. Nothing is set in stone even Superman and Lois were traded a bit for Superman and Wonder Woman.

• Love 1

Since this is supposed to be a team, I do not see the characters on it all scattered in different time lines. CL will clearly be in present day. I fully believe she will play the real Sara. I have no problems with the LP being used and I hope they do.

Edited by Proteus

With Rip Hunter being a Time Traveler that has been to alternate universes, that could be a way to bring in AU Sara or he could interfere with the timestream and save Sara before she gets shot full of arrows.  

• Love 4

I swear, its like even the people in casting have realized just how lame Ray is, and how much people don't want to follow him to another show, so they just decided to cast actors that they know people will follow, so that maybe they can learn to tolerate Ray, just to get to see some of their other genre TV favorites.

And I love Arthur Dravill...so I guess its working. I know I`m going to watch. Damn them. 

Honestly, if they just filled this show up with Spartacus and Doctor Who alum, plus Sara, I would possibly just learn to ignore TinCan Iron Man. 

• Love 2

I really don't care about Arthur Darvill because I hated Rory (but then, I've hated everything about Steven Moffat's Who, so maybe it's not the actor's fault. I mean, I loved Karen Gillan on Selfie).

I'm more interested in Hawkgirl casting. If she's indeed not one of the 3 heroes mentioned previously, then this means we'll get at least 3 kick-ass females which makes me much more invested in this show. Also, this character seems interesting, judging by the brief description.

I am, however, somewhat wary about the size of the cast. 

Edited by FurryFury

With Rip Hunter being a Time Traveler that has been to alternate universes, that could be a way to bring in AU Sara or he could interfere with the timestream and save Sara before she gets shot full of arrows.

I like this but if that happens it means a reset if S3, st least as far as Laurel/BC wouldn't affect ATOM but Laurel would have no reason to become BC if her sister didn't die.

Of course they could ignore all logic and habe Hunter save Sara from death but still have everything follow through for S3, doesn't make any sense and ddefiesdefies Science Fiction writing but it's possible.

I just want to say, I love how, even after this season of Arrow and with a telepathic gorilla running around on Flash, everyone on this thread is hoping that this new show will make sense. Your optimism inspires me.

(Hawkgirl!)

• Love 7

I like this but if that happens it means a reset if S3, st least as far as Laurel/BC wouldn't affect ATOM but Laurel would have no reason to become BC if her sister didn't die.

Of course they could ignore all logic and habe Hunter save Sara from death but still have everything follow through for S3, doesn't make any sense and ddefiesdefies Science Fiction writing but it's possible.

I really don't care how anything effects Laurel. She's a non-entity to me. I suppose they could go with what I thought they should've done is have Sara disappear instead of die. Even if they didn't know about the spin off quite yet, searching for Sara could've been dealt with the half assed way they searched for her killer. They could've blamed Malcolm or Ra's. Then we find out that Sara was taken into the future by Rip Hunter, then she comes back and is in the spin off. 

I'm still hoping that they are doing a sort of reserection man story with Sara. They can say that she had things done to her on the amazo with Ivo that perhaps combined with a plunge into the magic of the LP.

And they can have this time traveling man know Sara from the future and have him connected to each of Hawkgirl's reincarnations. I just rather have Sara the Sara we know and have her have consequences of her deaths as well. So no AU or taken before death version please.

I want his time traveler suck in the present for the time being. Perhaps he's here trying to stop or start an event that changes the world like the Terminator for example.