Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Weirdly in contrast, our internet is fairly inexpensive. We get decent internet, a landline phone, and my hubby's unlimited smart phone, all for about $107 a month - the internet part is like $30 - $35 total. And it supports our smart TV so we can watch videos and such on the TV (I think the smart TV option was only like $100 more... I'm glad we got it).

You have your husband's phone with the cable company? Interesting! I didn't even know that was an option?

I've got T-Mobile for my cell, and it's $66/mo just for my (smart) phone. I've been saying that I'll go to Cricket as soon as my current phone dies, but the phone is now on year 4 or 5 and still going strong, so I dunno. Originally, I was trying to get my mom on my plan, because it would have been like $95 for two lines w/ everything unlimited for both, and also including a payment plan for a new (smart) phone for her -- but then she just randomly got her own plan (lol). My dad also refuses to get a phone for some reason. He carries around this burner flip phone from (no joke) at least fifteen years ago, and now has like 500+ minutes on it because he's had to buy annual calling cards in order to keep the number live (and so refuses to drop it because he doesn't want to "waste" all those unusable minutes). It would actually be cheaper at this point for me to just give him my phone as a hand-me-down and get him on my mom's plan than to continually buy calling cards and/or eventually replace that ancient burner, but he doesn't understand that so eh. God forbid we actually all go on the same plan and pay like $15/mo per. Man, OLD PEOPLE.

I split the streaming TV subscriptions with my dad and my boyfriend, so they're not too bad, but having a $165~/mo cable + internet bill is rough. Although like I said, I could run through the $80-100~ of that that goes specifically to the cable bill in one or two extra nights out drinking margaritas, so ultimately, maybe it's not worth worrying about. Per hour of entertainment, you can't really beat TV for the money. I HAD been thinking that I should drop cable and then use the extra money to hire someone to clean once a month, though -- and then I would never have to clean the floors or bathrooms again. If nothing else will convince me to drop cable, laziness and hatred of certain chores still might. Probably not until the doldrums of summer, though ;)

To be honest, I'm not able to keep up with a whole lot of TV right now, what with taking a couple night classes and trying not to be a total hermit (esp when it comes to my parents and my boyfriend), but it's still nice being able to plop on my couch after a long day and watch whatever the fuck I want! Eeeeeven if it's on HBO. And even if I only last an hour before falling asleep.

Although it's honestly been very hard to keep up with shows lately, though -- especially the ones I want to actually WATCH, like SPN, rather than just vaguely half listen to, like Lethal Weapon. Kind of frustrating, but they'll still be there when I hit another slow period, I guess.

6 hours ago, rue721 said:

You have your husband's phone with the cable company? Interesting! I didn't even know that was an option?

I've got T-Mobile for my cell, and it's $66/mo just for my (smart) phone.

Oh, no, sorry, I was confusing on that I see now... The cable bill is separate. The internet and phones (landline - which includes unlimited long-distance in the US and Canada - and hubby's cell) are all together with AT&T. I have the $107 price for another year when it'll go up about $30, but that'll still be better than what it used to be before I called and got a better deal bundle. The reason I get internet on the TV is because it's a smart TV, so the TV picks up the internet if I want. The cable box doesn't even have to be on for that. Considering the smart TV version was only $100 more when we bought the TV, I'm glad we got a smart TV. If the cable goes out, we can still have other options if we want - like YouTube and Crackle and other such stuff.

As for T-Mobile, I've had them for my cell phone - also a dumb phone flip phone like your dad's - for almost 5 years now. For me it's cheap as dirt for a cell, and though the coverage can be spotty on occasion (because I live in a smallish southern town), the tech service is great. Whenever I call T-Mobile, I get a real person on the line really quickly, and they help me just as quickly. That help includes semi-weird stuff like having the text turned off so I don't get annoying add texts (I hate texting). I only get free texts every once in a blue moon from T-Mobile if they need to tell me something, The only bad thing is that it's a semi-burner #, so it still sometimes shows up on other people's phones as whoever had the number before me, but they know now it's really me. Apparently it wouldn't change to my name unless I got a contract type thing, but for me, why do that? I buy 1000 minutes for $100 at a time - so 10 cents a minute - right at the T-Mobile store (which is in our town) and I don't have to buy minutes but once a year if I don't want to, because the minutes keep for a year without having to buy more until then. Usually I end up buying minutes about every 8 moths or so, but still that's less than $15 a month to have the security and convenience of a cell phone.

How expensive is your dad's annual phone card? The T-Mobile 1000 minutes for $100 would be less than $10 a month. If you have a T-Mobile store in your area, they'd likely do the same for your dad. Buy 1000 minutes at $100 and you don't have to buy any more minutes for a whole year... of course then your dad would have 1500 minutes - hee - because if I remember correctly, T-Mobile will also transfer over the old minutes for your dad if they are with someone else and/or buy out the old contract. And they don't care that I only buy $100 worth of minutes every 8 months or so. I've been with them for 5 years, and so I'm a valued customer and whenever issues pop up, they're glad to take care of them for me right away. Also the phone was cheap - like $30 - and so when I accidentally washed one once in the machine (it was in a pocket that snaps closed so I forgot about it) and wrecked it, I just took out the phone chip and stuck it in a new $30 phone and voila, all my minutes and numbers and such went right into the new phone easy-peasy. And the thing has a great battery life for such a cheap thing. One charge lasts me 5 days to a week and that includes talking on it sometimes (if hubby calls my cell instead of the landline when he goes out of town, for example) and keeping it on the entire time for time, my morning alarm if I want, and so people can get in touch with me if needed. I love my non-texting, no hassle, who cares if it breaks, I'll just get another one and throw the phone chip in that one, dumb phone.

Edited by AwesomO4000
10 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Well, I can tell you that for me it's not because I want to be part of something. It's because I am immensely entertained by this terrible show and I'm entertained by making fun of it. I would do it whether anyone else was around to join me in my mockery. :P

Then I don't think you're who we're talking about. I was under the impression we were talking about people who don't get any entertainment value out of a show, but watch it anyway just so they can complain about it. Clearly, you are getting entertainment from watching the show, even if it's not from the show itself.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Wow! - we pay such high rates here in Canada.  My cable TV, internet, home & cell phone through Rogers total over $320 per month.

I tend to watch reality offerings a lot more than I should because American hour-long dramas mostly bore me to tears.  And as @catrox14 points out... the realty TV chat rooms  are hilarious - some of those posters should be writing for comedy shows.

But Supernatural captured me and has not let go so far.  It's the only TV show I watch live and everyone knows I'm incommunicado for an hour and in full control of the remote... even the cat who watches with me on my lap.

4 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

How expensive is your dad's annual phone card? The T-Mobile 1000 minutes for $100 would be less than $10 a month. If you have a T-Mobile store in your area, they'd likely do the same for your dad. Buy 1000 minutes at $100 and you don't have to buy any more minutes for a whole year

The phone card is reasonably cheap -- except that it's functionally worthless because he never actually uses the minutes on it. He also can't take/send pictures or really get the internet (incl email) on his phone. He does/can text sometimes, at least, but it's cumbersome because a burner from 2001 or whatever is not really made for that.

My mom currently has a $35/mo Cricket plan, that I believe would add a line for him with her same talk/text/data for only $10 extra a month -- and if he would use my hand-me-down smartphone, he'd be "cooking with gas" without it being more expensive or even more work for him. I mean, there are so many things the smartphone would be good for. He's an artist, and he would be able to take pictures. He likes to drum, and he could use the metronome. He doesn't drive, only takes public transportation, and he could look up when the next subway/bus is coming via an app that every modern person around here has. Most importantly, it would be a LOT easier to get into contact with him. But eh, he doesn't want to deal with it. I think he kind of likes being "disconnected" and having to make do.

Well, and it's sort of my move at this point, because I'm the one who will have to get a new phone in order to give him my old one. But I sort of can't bear it, because this phone is working so well! And new phones are expensive! Bah. Just me being selfish tbh.

And besides, I dunno, my dad kind of lives on another planet. The other day I had to drop by at his house on my lunch break from work because I had some form or something over there that I needed ASAP, and he was like, "it's very cold, can you take me to get cigarettes?" I'm like, "sure, of course." Thinking that he's asking me to take him like three blocks to the gas station. He starts guiding me into another COUNTY to go to this particular cigarette store he likes. I'm like, "I'm just on a short break from work, we're going really far..." He's like, "that's what's wrong with this country! No freedom! Who is your boss to tell you how to live your life! You need your time to actually LIVE!" I'm like, "'Actually LIVE' by taking you to the cigarette store?" LOL. I love him, but at the same time, I shudder to think how similar I am to him. What if that's me in thirty or forty years?! Well, I guess that's just the risk you run by being born -- you could turn out nuts, just like your mom or dad. :P

• Love 1
17 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Can someone help me out here? This is a genuine question and has nothing to do with this forum or show. Why do people hate watch a show? I mean when they genuinely have nothing good to say about it? I can *almost* understand it with a show like SPN, or Grey's, that's been around for a long time and people have watched from the beginning and 'just can't quit you'. Lord knows I bitch about SPN, but I still love Dean and find something in most episodes to enjoy. I'm talking about a show that's been around a season and half, that makes no bones about what it is about, and yet people watch, don't like anything about it, and mock/hate on it for what it is. I just don't get it. Life is too short to spend on things you don't enjoy. Unless the mocking and hating somehow makes them feel better than... something? I don't know.

I don't understand "hate watching" either, I have neither the time or the energy to watch something that I don't enjoy.  I would like to think that I have a life. and there is too much negativity in this world right now, to add to it intentionally.  My POV.  

• Love 1

What Id consider even worse than hate watching is posts beginning with “I didn’t watch this episode but....” followed by a list of ways the episode failed. IMO if someone didn’t watch an episode then they shouldn’t  comment on it as a transcript or a friends personal opinion only tells half the story at best. At least a hate watcher has actually watched the material to judge that they hate it. Am I the only one who feels this way? 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

What Id consider even worse than hate watching is posts beginning with “I didn’t watch this episode but....” followed by a list of ways the episode failed. IMO if someone didn’t watch an episode then they shouldn’t  comment on it as a transcript or a friends personal opinion only tells half the story at best. At least a hate watcher has actually watched the material to judge that they hate it. Am I the only one who feels this way? 

Nope, you're not. Big pet peeve of mine as well. Now, I'll admit to ragging on the potential suckiness of an episode based on spoilers/blurbs, etc - but I would not comment about actual content of an episode I haven't seen. ETA: Especially when all too often, I watch something that 'everybody' hated and find it not so bad (or vice versa). Entertainment is way too subjective for that.

I feel like I should clarify - I'm not saying these 'hate' watchers, or those who watch simply for the purpose of mocking it are wrong, only that I can't understand the thought process behind it, or the pleasure it must give them. That said, I also don't understand professional recappers/reviewers who clearly don't enjoy the show they are recapping/reviewing. Why? I don't think it makes them less biased or impartial, not when their distaste comes through so clearly. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed "Outsourced". I think that part of the reason the show didn't make it, was that people were offended by it before any episodes were shown on TV. I have to admit, I strongly disliked the Australian woman - she was the weakest link on the show. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I try to never tell people how to watch a show be it mock watching, blinded-by whatever bias they hold-watching, hate watching or even watching by association.  If they have read reviews, got feedback from trusted viewers, have received a cliff's notes summary of the episode and feel based on those things that the episode is not for them, I accept it. 

You said you quit watching in s9 because of Dean in s8 and one episode of s9. Then you watched Bad Boys based on others recommendations and they decided to watch s11 based on recommendations. So for 2 years you were essentially saying that the show wasn't worth it because of XYZ but you didn't watch so how would you know?

You weren't interested in a Dean centric episode so you decided that meant the show wasn't worth watching anymore? But then you came back to watching because of what other people recommended. Isn't that kind of the same thing? 

16 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

However, due to my dislike of S8’s portrayal of Dean and my aversion to his actions in 9x01,  a Dean centric episode was simply not something I felt interested in. What was originally intended as a few week break ended up being a 2.5 year break. I had quit all together and it was only hearing raving reviews about season eleven, from several trusted friends,  that I decided to give the show another shot the summer before season 12. Some days I find myself regretting returning and others I am glad I did. It depends on that weeks episode I guess ;)

5 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I really enjoyed "Outsourced". I think that part of the reason the show didn't make it, was that people were offended by it before any episodes were shown on TV. I have to admit, I strongly disliked the Australian woman - she was the weakest link on the show. 

I think Outsourced suffered from a terrible name, and poor promotion. They could have called it anything else and I think it would have done better ratings wise.  I worked for a company that was started in the US by Indians  and they had offices in India and they had a lot of Indian employees so the premise was right up my alley. I thought it was pretty funny and mostly charming. Also, I learned to play cricket with the Indian employees that came to America.

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I try to never tell people how to watch a show be it mock watching, blinded-by whatever bias they hold-watching, hate watching or even watching by association.  If they have read reviews, got feedback from trusted viewers, have received a cliff's notes summary of the episode and feel based on those things that the episode is not for them, I accept it. 

You said you quit watching in s9 because of Dean in s8 and one episode of s9. Then you watched Bad Boys based on others recommendations and they decided to watch s11 based on recommendations. So for 2 years you were essentially saying that the show wasn't worth it because of XYZ but you didn't watch so how would you know?

You weren't interested in a Dean centric episode so you decided that meant the show wasn't worth watching anymore? But then you came back to watching because of what other people recommended. Isn't that kind of the same thing? 

The difference IMO is that I didn’t comment on the show while I wasn’t watching. As I explained in my post I kept an eye on spoilers throughout season 9, but didn’t actively post as at that point I only intended it to be a short term break. I then completely disassociated myself from the show and fandom throughout seasons 10 and 11. I did not spend those two and a half years posting weekly about how something I was no longer watching sucked. I honestly don’t see the comparison between my decision to give up all things show related for two and a half years and people who are not watching episode(s) and still feel the need to write about how it sucked. 

I’m not commenting on the actual decision to not watch. I’m talking about people who then go on to write big long posts on how the episode sucked when they didn’t even watch to judge for themselves. IMO a transcript only tells half the story. A lot of an episodes quality is determined by the acting, the directing, the music and the use of various visual effects. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I’m not commenting on the actual decision to not watch. I’m talking about people who then go on to write big long posts on how the episode sucked when they didn’t even watch to judge for themselves. IMO a transcript only tells half the story. A lot of an episodes quality is determined by the acting, the directing, the music and the use of various visual effects. 

I agree that much is lost by not watching an episode. IMO that doesn't really invalidate their opinion nor does it mean they shouldn't post it.  I've seen people comment that they read enough spoilers, gathered other opinions and arrived at a conclusion they feel comfortable with posting.  If they say they came to that conclusion without any information at all, be it others opinions, reviews, or spoilers and posted either a negative or positive comment, I would probably side-eye that a bit more. I've seen people comment on an episode because they heard character XYZ did this same kind of thing they did 3 seasons ago, thus it implies a pattern and they may comment in the vein of "Welp, this character hasn't changed in 3 seasons so I'll go back to not watching". Some people will comment on trends vs specifics of the episodes.  It might be enough info for that person to draw the conclusion that they won't find the episode enjoyable for whatever reasons.

I guess to me that's all part and parcel of commenting in places that are not specifically fansites for XYZ. I mean that for a site like this or even comments sections on media outlets like EW or even SM.

10 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Weather network is reporting 17 consecutive days of rain in Vancouver.  Our poor Texas boys....

Dang! Is there flooding?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Oh, I definitely feel the same way! When people feel the need to comment that they’re glad they didn’t waste their time on such a bad episode, what is the point of that? To let those of us who did watch know that we’re suckers for watching? That we clearly don’t value our time like they do? That we aren’t as smart as them because we didn’t predict ahead of time which episodes suck? I like hearing different opinions and discussing them, but it seems fruitless to discuss something with someone who doesn’t even watch.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I agree that much is lost by not watching an episode. IMO that doesn't really invalidate their opinion nor does it mean they shouldn't post it.  I've seen people comment that they read enough spoilers, gathered other opinions and arrived at a conclusion they feel comfortable with posting.  If they say they came to that conclusion without any information at all, be it others opinions, reviews, or spoilers and posted either a negative or positive comment, I would probably side-eye that a bit more. I've seen people comment on an episode because they heard character XYZ did this same kind of thing they did 3 seasons ago, thus it implies a pattern and they may comment in the vein of "Welp, this character hasn't changed in 3 seasons so I'll go back to not watching". Some people will comment on trends vs specifics of the episodes.  It might be enough info for that person to draw the conclusion that they won't find the episode enjoyable for whatever reasons.

I guess to me that's all part and parcel of commenting in places that are not specifically fansites for XYZ. I mean that for a site like this or even comments sections on media outlets like EW or even SM.

I think we can agree to disagree. I'm just saying that personally I'd be more interested in reading a post written by someone who has seen the episode, even if their view of it completely opposes my opinion, than someone who hasn't seen the episode, even if I too found it a crappy episode. Personally, posts beginning with "I didn't watch this one..." are the only posts I'm likely to just skip past upon reading that sentence. 

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Oh, I definitely feel the same way! When people feel the need to comment that they’re glad they didn’t waste their time on such a bad episode, what is the point of that? To let those of us who did watch know that we’re suckers for watching? That we clearly don’t value our time like they do? That we aren’t as smart as them because we didn’t predict ahead of time which episodes suck? I like hearing different opinions and discussing them, but it seems fruitless to discuss something with someone who doesn’t even watch.

Agreed! You really put it better than I could have :) 

• Love 4
Just now, Wayward Son said:

I think we can agree to disagree. I'm just saying that personally I'd be more interested in reading a post written by someone who has seen the episode, even if their view of it completely opposes my opinion, than someone who hasn't seen the episode, even if I too found it a crappy episode. Personally, posts beginning with "I didn't watch this one..." are the only posts I'm likely to just skip past upon reading that sentence. 

Agreed! You really put it better than I could have :) 

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Both of you said it better than me, I so agree. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I wasn't suggesting anyone had to read those posts.

• Love 1

I guess there are multiple ways to "hate" watch.  I was thinking in terms of people who basically troll other fans of a certain show, just to be annoying.  Those are the people I don't understand.  Why be such an asshole.

If you're watching a show specifically because it's so bad (for me, that would be pretty much all reality tv), and the whole point of posting is to make fun of the show along with everyone else, then that's something completely different, IMO.  It's when you just go on and on about how much you hate a show, while still posting among people who genuinely like it.  If you truly hate it, then find something better to do with your time.

This doesn't mean, however, that when you're a fan of a show you have to only post positive viewpoints.  I think you can be a genuine fan, and still wish that it were better, or be disappointed with storylines, writing, acting, whatever.  But as critical as I can sometimes be of the writers and show runners on SPN, it's because I still love the show that it bothers me so much.  If I didn't, I wouldn't waste my time watching anymore.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I don't see the point in discussing the finer points of an episode if the person you're having the discussion with hasn't seen it either. I mean, you'd be discussing someone else's opinion of the finer details and I'd rather just discuss the episode directly with them and cut out the middle man.

Funny story. My nephew was one of those odd children who didn't like pasta or cheese as a kid. When he was in kindergarten I would pick him up from the bus on my way home with work and hang with him until his mom got home. One day he got off the bus and immediately demanded to know why he'd never had macaroni and cheese before.

"Well, honey, you don't like pasta and you don't like cheese and that's the whole shebang. I just never considered you'd want any."

"My friends tell me macaroni and cheese is the best thing ever and I believe them. Can you make some for dinner tonight?"

Of course I agreed and we went to the store and bought macaroni and cheese, from the box, just like his friends told him was the best thing ever. I really wanted to make it from scratch, but he insisted it had to be the dish his friends had recommend. He took one bite and declared it was gross and started ranting about why his friends would lie to him. 

So, even your friends can steer you wrong from time to time. You really can't know just how bad or good it is until you try it yourself, IMO.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

Of course I agreed and we went to the store and bought macaroni and cheese, from the box, just like his friends told him was the best thing ever. I really wanted to make it from scratch, but he insisted it had to be the dish his friends had recommend.

Oh, for me, it really does have to be the one from the box ; ) ... I must admit that though I do like homemade macaroni and cheese sometimes, and I really do enjoy good, healthy, and unusual food - sushi, escargot, eel, frog legs, it's all good and yummy - sometimes when hubby goes away for a couple of days, I just love to make myself a nice box of mac 'n cheese... not even the Kraft kind. For me the best kind is the no name brand with the orange cheese powder junk. I like that it's not too heavy and saucy, but still has a cheesy taste. I like the texture of the smaller-sized macaronis. I'll make that (it lasts me 3 servings) and some pork and beans, and a requisite green veggie (spinach or broccoli seems to go best - sometimes I'll mix the spinach right into the mac 'n cheese) and I'll just enjoy the crap out of it. I've made my own macaroni and cheese from scratch before, and it's just not one of my strong suits. (I make an awesome spaghetti sauce though). I know when to admit my limitations, and for me it's the box mac 'n cheese for the win. My hubby would agree with your nephew though. He does not understand the appeal. Hee. Though he does sort of tolerate my spinach mixed in variation.

11 hours ago, rue721 said:

I mean, there are so many things the smartphone would be good for. He's an artist, and he would be able to take pictures. He likes to drum, and he could use the metronome. He doesn't drive, only takes public transportation, and he could look up when the next subway/bus is coming via an app that every modern person around here has. Most importantly, it would be a LOT easier to get into contact with him. But eh, he doesn't want to deal with it. I think he kind of likes being "disconnected" and having to make do.

Heh. I kind of agree with your dad. As I said, I hate texting, and I'm glad my phone has no internet. I do both sometimes for my hubby on his smart phone - he'll ask me to text for him or look something up when he's driving - and it usually frustrates me so much. My fingers must be weirdly shaped or something, because almost every second or third word I text I have to go back and change a letter, when I try to google, his phone hates me and goes to weird screens I didn't want. I can't even figure out how to get to the phone section of his phone to just put in a number (not one that's prepogrammed). Sometimes I just want to put in a number - not scroll through dozens and dozens of numbers I could care less about to find the one I want. I accidentally get the camera somehow more than I want to admit. And I'm always afraid I'm gonna drop the damn thing. My hubby shares my dislike of apps though... he used to have one that was a flashlight, but I don't think he even has that one anymore. He checks his e-mails, but I always tease him, because mostly it just frustrates him, because he can't really compose a good e-mail back and usually the pictures only show up half the time. Mostly he just deletes junk e-mails.

I guess a good camera on my phone might be nice, but I wouldn't know how to get the photos off my phone and on to my computer anyway. I have a good point and shoot that I use instead... Mostly I photograph insects and spiders, so I need at least a passable macro setting anyway. My phone has my numbers, it has the time and date, I can easily find incoming and outgoing call numbers, and it has an alarm that's really easy to set and can have multiple alarms - that's all I want it to do. I have a laptop that goes home and to work for everything else, and if there are tech problems with it, the work IT people take care of it for me.

So when it comes to my phone, I guess I'm a grumpy old woman... now you kids get off my lawn and take your new fangled smart phones with you. ; )

11 hours ago, rue721 said:

Also, @AwesomO4000 -- are your hats crocheted? I'm starting to get into crochet (was always a knitter before), and it's so fun. Have you ever thought about combining your hobbies and creating any SPN fanart via crochet?! Has anybody else here?

I tried for a hot minute to learn crochet and didn't get there. I'm knitting all the way right now. I like that I can make a mistake and still fix it later. I don't think you can do that with crochet. Lately I've started knitting with big needles and cool chunky yarns with texture and interesting color. I can make a cool scarf in 2 or 3 hours. texture and color is my thing. One of my things is to combine 3 skeins of yarn - usually one patterned yarn and two solids that pick up colors in the patterned yarn - to make a tweed effect. So I tend to keep the patterns simple and let the color and texture be the main thing now. Back when I used to be into cool patterns with my knitting, I kept the yarn simple, non-textured, and usually monochromatic to let the patterns shine.

As for fan stuff, my only fan related knitting was my - and one I made for someone else - Jayne hat that I wear for Dragon Con. I now have a whole Jayne costume: khaki jeans, thigh gun holster, hip knife holster, brown T-shirt, brown swede boots, and army button up to go with the hat. And of course the knitting is somewhat rough, because it's an "authentic" hat. Some have accused me of having the colors too light, but nope, I think it's just right.

Crocheted fan art sounds intriguing though. How would you do that? I can imagine embroidery, and maybe even beading, but I'm not sure how crochet would work.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Crocheted fan art sounds intriguing though. How would you do that? I can imagine embroidery, and maybe even beading, but I'm not sure how crochet would work.

This woman crochets blanket versions of photographs! This is the biggest I've seen. but she's done them for most of the cast.

_MG_4188_medium2.jpg

Basically, each single crochet stitch is a pixel of a photo.

2015-07-09_21.59.17.jpg

More of her work:  https://www.ravelry.com/projects/rachelknits2

Edited by auntvi
fixed link
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Oh, for me, it really does have to be the one from the box ; ) ... I must admit that though I do like homemade macaroni and cheese sometimes, and I really do enjoy good, healthy, and unusual food - sushi, escargot, eel, frog legs, it's all good and yummy - sometimes when hubby goes away for a couple of days, I just love to make myself a nice box of mac 'n cheese... not even the Kraft kind. For me the best kind is the no name brand with the orange cheese powder junk. I like that it's not too heavy and saucy, but still has a cheesy taste. I like the texture of the smaller-sized macaronis. I'll make that (it lasts me 3 servings) and some pork and beans, and a requisite green veggie (spinach or broccoli seems to go best - sometimes I'll mix the spinach right into the mac 'n cheese) and I'll just enjoy the crap out of it. I've made my own macaroni and cheese from scratch before, and it's just not one of my strong suits. (I make an awesome spaghetti sauce though). I know when to admit my limitations, and for me it's the box mac 'n cheese for the win. My hubby would agree with your nephew though. He does not understand the appeal. Hee. Though he does sort of tolerate my spinach mixed in variation

The only non-Kraft from the box mac and cheese I ever liked was my mom's. I've tried to duplicate her recipe. I cannot. I think she left something out and took it to her final resting place LOL

1 hour ago, auntvi said:

This woman crochets blanket versions of photographs! This is the biggest I've seen. but she's done them for most of the cast.

Basically, each single crochet stitch is a pixel of a photo.

Interesting! I see the bottom one, but the top one to me almost looks like weaving or needlepoint? (There are fringes sticking out the sides). I could be wrong and those could be really small stitches on the top one. If all of those are individual yarn things sticking out the sides, I'm impressed that the thing stays together. With knitting, it's much easier if you can keep as few fiber changes as possible, because the work is in individual chains which can become detached from each other and/or not be tight without a solid, continuous tension.

The top one is crochet, but I don't know why she left the ends sticking out. When you change colors in crochet, the first color is tied off with a slip knot (like what you do with the last stitch when you bind off knitting) then the new color is started through a loop of the old color so they stay connected. She makes so many changes in color to reproduce the photograph that she may not want to carry several colors across the back so she ties each color off and cuts the yarn? For me, that would be way too many ends to weave in!

Needlepoint would probably be easier, but I don't know if you can get an open weave canvas that big, so the scale would be much smaller.

Edited by auntvi
2nd thought
3 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't think so.  I was just thinking how depressing and soggy it must be for cast and crew.  17 consecutive days of rain.  Poor things.

They've been working there for 13 years.  I'm pretty sure they're used to it (though I see this January broke a record...28 days of rain out of 31!...though the old record was 26 days, so not that much more. ) :) 

One note:  I don't think they distinguish between amount of rain, so a drizzly day counts the same as a day of downpours.  Around here, they count it as a rain day if there's one thunderstorm for 1/2 hour and the rest of the day is sunny (though I doubt that happens much in Vancouver.) :)  (Fun note:  around here, they'll also count that one-thunderstorm day as a sunny day when they're trying to show how many days of sun we have per year.)  

All the NW is pretty rainy.  I remember seeing a sweatshirt many years ago that said: "Seattle Rain Festival--January 1-December 31."  

• Love 1

Ha Ha.  Well I was born and raised in London, England so I know a lot about rain.  I remember it being so odd seeing lawn sprinklers in American movies.  Lawn sprinklers?  And, same thing in England we rarely got heavy downpours... mostly drizzle or misty for days on end. Most handbags had a pocket to hold the brolly.

Yes, I'm sure our guys are used to the dreary skies and drizzle after 13 years.  I've visited BC and Vancouver and it's beautiful for sure.  And I think they have apartments overlooking that harbour which must be lovely for them.  

11 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Oh, for me, it really does have to be the one from the box ; )

Velveeta shells and cheese. Nothing beats it.

But I'll take some Kraft if I can use ketchup and hot sauce liberally.

How about cheesy tuna helper? Only way I like tuna, personally.

Homemade is nasty. And yes, I have had VERY good homemade. I am from Virginia, after all. Just don't like it.

As I said, I hate texting, and I'm glad my phone has no internet.

Oooooh man! I'm just going to leave that all alone :P

I wouldn't know how to get the photos off my phone and on to my computer anyway

That's the thing, you can just email them to yourself or text them to anyone, instantaneously. It's super convenient! Like if you see something and don't know what it is, you can take a picture and text it to a friend and ask them (like I have done on this board, when I've seen cool bugs out and about and wanted to ask you about them :P. And I have taken more pictures of boring things that I don't want to copy down but need to refer back to (problem solutions, schedules, etc) than I'd even like to admit ;)

One of my things is to combine 3 skeins of yarn - usually one patterned yarn and two solids that pick up colors in the patterned yarn - to make a tweed effect.

This sounds incredibly awesome.

1 hour ago, auntvi said:

She makes so many changes in color to reproduce the photograph that she may not want to carry several colors across the back so she ties each color off and cuts the yarn? For me, that would be way too many ends to weave in!

Those blankets are amazing! I agree with you about her not weaving the ends in because there are simply too many. It seems like she only keeps a color for a single stitch a lot of the time -- she might tie off every single stitch. How would you even begin to weave in that many ends while keeping the "pixels"/stitches looking sharp? I'd be really interested in seeing the backs of those blankets, too! I bet they look like latch hook rugs.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I wouldn't know how to get the photos off my phone and on to my computer anyway

How is iCloud supposed to work?  I have no clue. I am an iCloud dummy.

A box kept dinging in the corner warning that iCloud storage was full and to stop it I now pay the princely sum of $1.50 each month to iTunes. I have no idea why? There's nothing there.  I try to upload photos, I follow prompts and give them a file and a name.  But when I click on iCloud icon on laptop - says Folder is Empty. Same with my iPad iCloud icon. Nada.  I guess I should visit YouTube and figure what I'm doing wrong.  Somewhere all my photos are floating about in a cloud but I cannot see them.  And I'm paying for extra storage! 

I just email or message pics from my phone to my laptop. So much simpler than this flipping iCloud business.

5 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't think so.  I was just thinking how depressing and soggy it must be for cast and crew.  17 consecutive days of rain.  Poor things.

I don't know, I lived in Portland, OR for a lot of years and it's usually was just more drizzly and overcast than actually raining. I expect Vancouver is much the same, just a bit colder in the winter, probably.

4 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

How is iCloud supposed to work?  I have no clue. I am an iCloud dummy.

A box kept dinging in the corner warning that iCloud storage was full and to stop it I now pay the princely sum of $1.50 each month to iTunes. I have no idea why? There's nothing there.  I try to upload photos, I follow prompts and give them a file and a name.  But when I click on iCloud icon on laptop - says Folder is Empty. Same with my iPad iCloud icon. Nada.  I guess I should visit YouTube and figure what I'm doing wrong.  Somewhere all my photos are floating about in a cloud but I cannot see them.  And I'm paying for extra storage! 

I just email or message pics from my phone to my laptop. So much simpler than this flipping iCloud business.

I rarely use my phone for photo taking unless it's just something like @rue721 mentioned where I needed to ask someone's opinion or I just happen to not have my actual camera with me and want to capture something. I usually just text or email those photos, so I've never went to my iCloud to see what's what, but I think If you have your phone set to back up, that's what's in your iCloud. Any photos you have on your phone, contacts...everything. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know there's another forum for it but I don't know anybody there and want to squee a little. Anyone else ridiculously excited for This Is Us tonight after the Superbowl?

I am excited and terrified.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know there's another forum for it but I don't know anybody there and want to squee a little. Anyone else ridiculously excited for This Is Us tonight after the Superbowl?

Like @catrox14, I am also excited and terrified.

Stupid crockpot... and even scarier, it looks almost exactly - if not exactly - like my small crockpot. Decoration and everything.

• Love 3

Got contest this weekend and spent 6 hours talking to my nephew this Sunday.  It was a nice visit.

So I called my Mom & Dad.  I sometimes forget what they are dealing with as it isn't in my face 24/7.  Dad's tumor is interfering with his breathing due to where it is.  The size of the Tumor is a pretty big problem...Tomorrow Dad gets the news about the biopsy. So far every doctor has been stumped about the tumor, it is thick as the needle could only go in two inches. They still believe it is benign but what to do is the biggest question? Where it is located is an issue, so do they wait and see or do surgery.  If they wait will my Dad be strong enough for the surgery or????  I'm glad my younger brother will be there but the decision to do surgery or not is a big one.  I can't be there right now...If I was trying to go up they would be like, no don't come but because I'm not coming up it is like well you know it was difficult for your brother to come.  Love the irony of you can't win either way...So frustration seems to be where I'm at.

1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

Got contest this weekend and spent 6 hours talking to my nephew this Sunday.  It was a nice visit.

So I called my Mom & Dad.  I sometimes forget what they are dealing with as it isn't in my face 24/7.  Dad's tumor is interfering with his breathing due to where it is.  The size of the Tumor is a pretty big problem...Tomorrow Dad gets the news about the biopsy. So far every doctor has been stumped about the tumor, it is thick as the needle could only go in two inches. They still believe it is benign but what to do is the biggest question? Where it is located is an issue, so do they wait and see or do surgery.  If they wait will my Dad be strong enough for the surgery or????  I'm glad my younger brother will be there but the decision to do surgery or not is a big one.  I can't be there right now...If I was trying to go up they would be like, no don't come but because I'm not coming up it is like well you know it was difficult for your brother to come.  Love the irony of you can't win either way...So frustration seems to be where I'm at.

Tough position.  You can't be there, you can't be there.  But it's hard sometimes with family.  Gets emotionally charged.  I hope your Dad gets good news tomorrow.  Good luck.