Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

I have no idea who this cadlymac person is - but she seemed to be someone linked to Jensen so I thought I'd follow her on twitter and I got this response - You are blocked from following @cadlymack and viewing @cadlymack's Tweets.

Why is she blocking everyone?  Or am I the only one? I don't really care, but it's weird.  

1 minute ago, Pondlass1 said:

I have no idea who this cadlymac person is - but she seemed to be someone linked to Jensen so I thought I'd follow her on twitter and I got this response - You are blocked from following @cadlymack and viewing @cadlymack's Tweets.

Why is she blocking everyone?  Or am I the only one? I don't really care, but it's weird.  

No clue who she is either, but I can follow her, not that I want to.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I'm not blocked . Are you using @cadlymack?

She is a writer for the Originals and wrote for Zap2it. She did an onset interview with the boys back in so I think. She also tweeted about Jensen being a good guy and helping her when a studio exec/ agent was being inappropriate with her at an event.

Shes also been spotted with  some Arrow actors like Emily and Stephen.

I'm not sure what her deal is to be honest.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm not blocked . Are you using @cadlymack?

She is a writer for the Originals and wrote for Zap2it. She did an onset interview with the boys back in so I think. She also tweeted about Jensen being a good guy and helping her when a studio exec/ agent was being inappropriate with her at an event.

Shes also been spotted with  some Arrow actors like Emily and Stephen.

I'm not sure what her deal is to be honest.

I believe she's also good friends with Danneel. I always found her to be a bit of a ditz, personally.

3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I believe she's also good friends with Danneel. I always found her to be a bit of a ditz, personally.

Ah, maybe from the One Tree Hill days? She strikes me as someone trying really hard to make it into writing for a big show and does a lot of rubbing elbows with the right people. I wonder if she's also friends with Chico. 

Checking her IMDB she's written an episode for The Flash. Huh.

10 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

She's always been a big show supporter in her write-ups. She also (IMO) asked some of the best questions.  

A friend suggested maybe she blocked someone's tweet to which my name was attached so I got blocked too.  I'm not bothered about being blocked, just intrigued why when I don't know her from a hole in the wall ?

Anyway glad to know she's a supporter of Jensen. I often think there's this huge Supernatural thing going on (hit show, sold out conventions, etc.) and the wide world of media entertainment has no clue, they're too busy with the kardashians. 

Yes. I work for the University of Georgia. Been a Dawg for 17 years. This was finally supposed to be our chance.... instead Alabama gets it for like the 3rd time in the last 5 years.

Georgia never wins the damn coin toss either.

This is why I should stick to pro football.

10 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Yes. I work for the University of Georgia. Been a Dawg for 17 years. This was finally supposed to be our chance.... instead Alabama gets it for like the 3rd time in the last 5 years.

Georgia never wins the damn coin toss either.

This is why I should stick to pro football.

Bummer. Sorry.

The Broncos didn't help us out this season. They were bad. LOL

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

The Broncos didn't help us out this season. They were bad. LOL

Hee, True, but I also like the Saints and the Patriots, so I can usually find a team to root for. Green Bay is fun also. The only team I really dislike is the Ravens... and the 49ers, but they haven't been good for a while now. In their heyday though, sheesh, they were like Alabama now... which is why when Denver finally got their Superbowl with Elway, it was so satisfying for me.

And well, it's been almost 40 years since Georgia won the national championship now (1980 - when I was barely in high school)... guess we're used to it and can wait a few more years... when Nick Saban finally retires (have I mentioned that I'm so sick of the Alabama Crimson Tide?)

4 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I can't believe the Vikings pulled that one out. I was bitterly thinking that they were going to choke,  again, in the playoffs. 

What a wild game! It's much more fun in a way when one has no particular rooting interest.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What a wild game! It's much more fun in a way when one has no particular rooting interest.

I completely agree. Much less tense and/or frustrating.

The Steelers / Jaguars game was also very entertaining... The onsides kick? Baaad decision. I thought for a moment that the Steelers might pull it off. Rothlessburger (sp?) was on fire in that second half.

• Love 1

Does anyone know why unnecessary characters are added to TV shows? I've tried to search for an answer, but I can't find anything. 

For example, season 3 of Sleepy Hollow, they add the character of Betsy Ross to the main cast. She was useless and few people liked her. I'm not sure where she came from or why she was added. That TV show just didn't know how to fix any of its issues. One theory, I read, suggested the actress was under contract with the studio and they needed to stick her somewhere. I don't know if this was the case or if that's even a real thing. Yet there she was. 

MacGyver seemed to be hitting its stride when they added Cage. She wasn't really needed and seems to be pretty useless. One thing I read about this one was she was added solely as a love interest for Mac. Although, she seemed to get along with Jack better. At least I thought she did. 

I'm just curious if anyone has any incite into characters inexplicably being added to TV shows who seem to serve no purpose. 

Just now, Commando Cody said:

For example, season 3 of Sleepy Hollow, they add the character of Betsy Ross to the main cast. She was useless and few people liked her. I'm not sure where she came from or why she was added. That TV show just didn't know how to fix any of its issues. One theory, I read, suggested the actress was under contract with the studio and they needed to stick her somewhere. I don't know if this was the case or if that's even a real thing. Yet there she was. 

Have you perused the Sleepy Hollow thread here? If not, there is a LOT of discussion about S3 and all the changes. I think it was mostly because of the direction they were taking the show. 

ETA: I think some might be studio additions. Showrunners become enamored of actors and write a part for them.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Showrunners become enamored of actors and write a part for them.

That was going to be my cynical suggestion! I thought Sleepy Hollow had useless characters from the beginning - like Ichabod's witch/wife.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, auntvi said:

That was going to be my cynical suggestion! I thought Sleepy Hollow had useless characters from the beginning - like Ichabod's witch/wife.

She was supposed to die in the pilot. LOL imagine how different it would have been. Man, I'm so bitter about the demise of that show. It was my fave along with Arrow in 2012. Before I started watching SPN. LOL

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Does anyone know why unnecessary characters are added to TV shows? I've tried to search for an answer, but I can't find anything. 

MacGyver seemed to be hitting its stride when they added Cage. She wasn't really needed and seems to be pretty useless. One thing I read about this one was she was added solely as a love interest for Mac. Although, she seemed to get along with Jack better. At least I thought she did. 

I'm just curious if anyone has any incite into characters inexplicably being added to TV shows who seem to serve no purpose. 

All the reasons mentioned already are valid, but I also think you have to remember that what you think is a useless character could be someone else's favorite character. And, it may seem like a character is really popular or not at one place, but be loathed at another place. Considering that the average fan isn't commenting online, I think you have to consider it's just different strokes for different folks more than anything.

But, yes, sometimes an actor or actress is under contract so they either use them or pay them for nothing...most shows would use them in some fashion. And, yes, sometimes the network demands they add a character--that's how Bella and Ruby came about in S3, although I suspect some version of Ruby would've shown up by S4 anyway. Mostly, I think the showrunner isn't doing it for one character or actor--although, that does happen too--as much as they just didn't see the character or the storyline the same as some fans do. Which, it's their show, they can do with it what they want, people don't have to watch it if they don't like it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I can't wait for the tell all of what happened to Sleepy Hollow. That was a disaster by the end. I am a bitter, bitter Abbie fan and Ichabbie shipper.

Same here! I will never get over what they did to Abbie. I had never rage quit a show before that. Now I can’t even rewatch the first season, which I loved, because it just makes me angry knowing how bad the show got.

• Love 3
On 1/16/2018 at 6:21 PM, DittyDotDot said:

All the reasons mentioned already are valid, but I also think you have to remember that what you think is a useless character could be someone else's favorite character.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:21 PM, DittyDotDot said:

But, yes, sometimes an actor or actress is under contract so they either use them or pay them for nothing...most shows would use them in some fashion. And, yes, sometimes the network demands they add a character

On Soaps sometimes in the contract their in added clause that they have to allow them time to be in a show on their network, to keep them.  So the actor gets the benefit of staying on the soap, connected to the network and if they are someone the fans love, it keeps the actor from leaving the show forever.  So that might be another reason they are in the show.

If you remember there were writers that wanted Jensen on their show, he either couldn't or signed on another show and that is how he got several opportunities before Supernatural.  If you have the right connections, it gets you a start whether you can act or not.  Plus many hire for looks, not how well they act.  After all the saying, "Anyone can act," came from mostly uneducated people about how to develop your acting skills.  It's why younger actors are always lower than they are say in their 40's.  Hopefully that makes sense.  :)  Just my point of view from trying to make it in the business and teaching acting for over 20 years.  Dang does this mean I'm getting OLD?????

On a totally different train of thought, my dad is having a rough year.  He has spent several days in the hospital, again. Nasal cellulitis was the reason for this visit to the hospital.  I told him he's done his fair share for the last year and this year.  Unfortunately, things are not over, they found a large mass near his heart and his esophagus.  Because of his age and heart issues and other issues, not sure how they can go about treating it.  Right now they believe the mass isn't cancer, but because it has so many blood vessels they can't do what they normally do to rule that out.  The fact that it is growing is also a concern.  Once he gets over this infection, they want to take him to a teaching hospital?  I think, things are getting blurred.

So for some reason I'm under stress and I'm going to physical therapy to deal with my nervous systems reactions.  Plus it is One Act time and we are behind.  I should be use to it, but the stress of will we or won't we is getting to me.  :)  Positive thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.  I probably over shared, but it's why I haven't had time to be on line for a while.

21 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

So for some reason I'm under stress and I'm going to physical therapy to deal with my nervous systems reactions.  Plus it is One Act time and we are behind.  I should be use to it, but the stress of will we or won't we is getting to me.  :)  Positive thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.  I probably over shared, but it's why I haven't had time to be on line for a while.

I'm so sorry for all you're going through!  Positive thoughts and prayers sent, along with a hug and an acknowledgement of "been there, done that (or something similar);  it's never easy but you do get through it."  All best wishes to you and your family.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, 7kstar said:

On Soaps sometimes in the contract their in added clause that they have to allow them time to be in a show on their network, to keep them.  So the actor gets the benefit of staying on the soap, connected to the network and if they are someone the fans love, it keeps the actor from leaving the show forever.  So that might be another reason they are in the show.

If you remember there were writers that wanted Jensen on their show, he either couldn't or signed on another show and that is how he got several opportunities before Supernatural.  If you have the right connections, it gets you a start whether you can act or not.  Plus many hire for looks, not how well they act.  After all the saying, "Anyone can act," came from mostly uneducated people about how to develop your acting skills.  It's why younger actors are always lower than they are say in their 40's.  Hopefully that makes sense.  :)  Just my point of view from trying to make it in the business and teaching acting for over 20 years.  Dang does this mean I'm getting OLD?????

On a totally different train of thought, my dad is having a rough year.  He has spent several days in the hospital, again. Nasal cellulitis was the reason for this visit to the hospital.  I told him he's done his fair share for the last year and this year.  Unfortunately, things are not over, they found a large mass near his heart and his esophagus.  Because of his age and heart issues and other issues, not sure how they can go about treating it.  Right now they believe the mass isn't cancer, but because it has so many blood vessels they can't do what they normally do to rule that out.  The fact that it is growing is also a concern.  Once he gets over this infection, they want to take him to a teaching hospital?  I think, things are getting blurred.

My prayers are with you! My big brother and grandmother both died a year ago after long term illnesses (cancer and numerous illnesses associated with old age, respectively). I know how draining it can be on the outside of a loved ones suffering. I hope your dad makes a full recovery soon!

• Love 1

Just in case there are others who missed this, as I did until just now...  there is a sticky message at the top of the forum saying the site will be offline tomorrow (Wednesday the 24th) evening.

Important: Please note that the site will be offline for a server upgrade tomorrow (Wednesday) starting in the evening.

Thanks.

NOOO. They changed the upgrade to Thursday. 

[Update] Server Upgrade Happening: Thursday Jan 25th

By SilverStormm 01/22/2018

Important: Please note that the site will be offline for a server upgrade Thursday starting in the evening.

Thanks.

ETA: Moved date to Thursday due to sickness (Dave's stomach exploded).

3 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

No matter what day they choose, it'll disrupt a bunch of forums. 

I would expect weekends have much less traffic here than during the week given  most folks post about shows within hours of airing.

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Why they would not do this on a weekend mystifies me.

I avoid working on the weekends if I can, so I can’t hold it against anyone else for doing the same.

Just now, Jeddah said:

I avoid working on the weekends if I can, so I can’t hold it against anyone else for doing the same.

Unfortunately, IT work sometimes requires doing those upgrades and maintenance be done at a time that causes the least disruption to the user base. I would have expected them to do it on a Friday night. Now they could mean Thursday evening is actually like Thursday night after say 10pm.

Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

LOL, okay.

SPN aside, Thursday is a pretty big television night and not the one I'd choose to disrupt a forum and site about, you know, television.

This is what surprised me. SPN, Arrow, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Big Bang Theory, NBC comedy. Even TNT basketball, which has less discussion than TV shows is still discussed in the sports forum.

Re the upgrade: I'd like the ability to add an emoji.  Hope they're adding that feature.  Also some way of inverting direct replies to  posts (like they did on IMDb).  Sometimes reading a thread can be awkward as someone is responding to something said halfway up the page and thoughts are just bouncing around and people are asking 'are you talking to me?'

16 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Unfortunately, IT work sometimes requires doing those upgrades and maintenance be done at a time that causes the least disruption to the user base. I would have expected them to do it on a Friday night. Now they could mean Thursday evening is actually like Thursday night after say 10pm.

If only IT at my job were so considerate! It feels like they pick the most inconvenient times possible just to ruin everyone’s day.

Server upgrades don't usually mean adding features.  It usually just means they're running out of storage room on the current servers.  It also usually means a much shorter downtime than upgrade of software or user interface, so depending on the time the upgrade is started, it could be back up before SPN even airs.

3 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

If only IT at my job were so considerate! It feels like they pick the most inconvenient times possible just to ruin everyone’s day.

The bulk of my working life has been in customer support working closely with IT.  If clients are going to be affected by the maintenance then it was done overnight or on the weekends, typically Friday nights to give them 48 hours to fix problems before clients will need to use the products. I see this as a similar situation. 

If your IT department exists strictly to provide internal users with support i.e. a new machine, printer, software installations then yes, that will be done during yours and their working hours. 

It's a fair question to wonder about the timing of the maintenance here.

17 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Re the upgrade: I'd like the ability to add an emoji.  Hope they're adding that feature.

Many people already do this, so it must already be possible. I have no desire to do it, so I don't know how, you might try perusing through the FAQ: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/2499-faq-guides/

40 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

LOL, okay.

SPN aside, Thursday is a pretty big television night and not the one I'd choose to disrupt a forum and site about, you know, television.

Every night there is programming on television, so there is no one night that wouldn't disrupt a bunch of forums. I really don't know the statistics, but I wouldn't be surprised if weekends aren't actually busier for the site as a whole than Wednesday or Thursday.

11 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Every night there is programming on television, so there is no one night that wouldn't disrupt a bunch of forums. I really don't know the statistics, but I wouldn't be surprised if weekends aren't actually busier for the site as a whole than Wednesday or Thursday.

I would be highly surprised if Saturday and Sunday during the day is as busy as Sunday night through Thursday night for posting, especially shows that have live posting threads  like Arrow and the Walking Dead and I'm sure others.

5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

This is what surprised me. SPN, Arrow, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Big Bang Theory, NBC comedy. Even TNT basketball, which has less discussion than TV shows is still discussed in the sports forum.

And Project Runway: All Stars  ...maybe not quite as popular as regular Project Runway, but close. That's my second most visited forum after this one. (Followed closely by Walking Dead, forum, the show soon to be dead to me).

Thursdays are definitely my biggest night for television this time of year. I also watch Will & Grace, so I generally watch SPN, then Will & Grace, then the second half of Project Runway Allstars, then later rewatch ...Allstars on the second running later that night... after Chicago Fire. (I don't post on the W&G or Chicago Fire boards, though.)

I suspect though that by the time I'm done watching everything - probably after midnight - the maintenance will be done by then ; ).

(Coincidentally, the original Project Runway is also into double digit seasons, too, (only the 6th season for the ...All Star spinoff) and started around the same time as Supernatural... so I've sort of watched them together. Project Runway has a few more seasons, because there were a few years that they ran two seasons in one year. Also interestingly, they are also on a second network, albeit that one was a total network change rather than a merger / renaming. On the few years when both shows aired on Thursdays at 9 PM it was a bit annoying.)

Edited to add: I apologize that I entirely missed it earlier... My thoughts are with you @7kstar and @Res. I hope things will get better for you both soon.

Edited by AwesomO4000
On 1/24/2018 at 3:21 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

I apologize that I entirely missed it earlier... My thoughts are with you @7kstar and @Res. I hope things will get better for you both soon.

No problem.  I'm lucky nothing is life threatening at this time and many have lost their parents at a younger age, so I'm lucky they are both still around.  I'm trying to do my homework for physical therapy, but the hardest part is trying to get enough sleep. Today I'm trying to be with the pain and get off my butt and do something but I'm failing right now.  So maybe if I rat myself out, I'll make better choices????

Thank you all for your positive vibes and prayers.  @Res I'll send you a cyber hug and prayers of comfort.  At our school, our Choir teacher just lost his Mom and he was close to her and it seems that several are dealing with difficult things, so here is a blanket of prayers for peace, love and joy for anyone that reads this message.

I really really need to figure out a new career, I'm seriously burned out from teaching.  If I could teach the students that were willing to learn I could do this for a longer time, but the students that have so many issues, my patience has been broken and my give a d@mn seems to have died...  lol  If only I could show them a stage choke but I'm afraid my arm might slip and oops that would be a BAD thing!  lol

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

I really really need to figure out a new career, I'm seriously burned out from teaching.  If I could teach the students that were willing to learn I could do this for a longer time, but the students that have so many issues, my patience has been broken and my give a d@mn seems to have died...  lol  If only I could show them a stage choke but I'm afraid my arm might slip and oops that would be a BAD thing!  lol

I burned out a couple of times, so I understand completely.  Sometimes just taking a break for a while helps regain perspective, sometimes you have to shift sideways (something teaching-adjacent but less frustrating?)  

I can say that, when I went to library school (after my first--no, second burnout), it was full of mid-life career changers:  besides a whole lot of teachers, my class included *two* respiratory therapists, at least one ER nurse and a police dispatcher.  (When we had a lesson about dealing with stress on the job, they actually giggled through it!)  But things have changed everywhere--a friend at my old library (a public library downtown) said that last month everyone had to go through Narcan training.  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I burned out a couple of times, so I understand completely.  Sometimes just taking a break for a while helps regain perspective, sometimes you have to shift sideways (something teaching-adjacent but less frustrating?)

You raise some excellent points.

This is year 29 so I have to finish and plan is two more if I can.  Not sure what I will do next so in some ways I'm like the kids, what do I want to be when I grow up.  If I had more than that, then yes I would need to see what else I could do but I'm wanting to do something that is more for me and less doing for others...No clue what that means.

• Love 1

Well, no more watching SPN live for me.  I just cancelled my cable, so now all I have is internet.  They raised my bill by more than $30.00 this month, which is absurd for the plan I have, so I've officially cut the cord.  As much as I enjoy being able to discuss the episode right after it's aired, it's just not worth paying them the extra money.  Time Warner was bad enough, but since being bought out by Spectrum, there have already been multiple increases with more to come.  It's crazy.

1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

Well, no more watching SPN live for me.  I just cancelled my cable, so now all I have is internet.  They raised my bill by more than $30.00 this month, which is absurd for the plan I have, so I've officially cut the cord.  As much as I enjoy being able to discuss the episode right after it's aired, it's just not worth paying them the extra money.  Time Warner was bad enough, but since being bought out by Spectrum, there have already been multiple increases with more to come.  It's crazy.

Can't you get the digital converter and watch it live, since it's broadcast TV?