Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Well, crap. My Rockies are out of the playoffs. Unexpected great season, just couldn't get this win. Still love my boys

Bummer catrox.  I know they are your passion.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SueB said:

Bummer catrox.  I know they are your passion.

Thanks. It sucked. Worse is that one of the Dback coaches was wearing an apple watch that is supposedly verbotten after the Red Sox shenanigans and now I wonder if they were stealing signs that way. It's not sour grapes. Our best hitter derped 2 ABs with RISP and that is why IMO we lost. Can't leave the LOBsters.

@AwesomO4000  Yes, happy about the Broncos that's for sure! The helicopter maneuver was the SB against GB. That was the greatest sport day of my life until the Rockies went to the WS LOL

I've got the Broncos,  Nuggets and Avalanche to occupy my time until Spring Training. I'm mostly worried that my boy, Carlos Gonzalez is gone after this season. That is going to break my heart.

5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

The helicopter maneuver was the SB against GB. That was the greatest sport day of my life until the Rockies went to the WS LOL

I was wondering if that was also in that game. That was just an amazing game all around. I was so excited to see Elway finally get the win he deserved.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I was wondering if that was also in that game. That was just an amazing game all around. I was so excited to see Elway finally get the win he deserved.

I literally ran around the bar I was watching and high fived every Bronco fan in that San Diego bar. Also, I met Elway and other Broncos randomly in that same bar like a week before when I went to watch my friend sing Karoake. Seriously. I have Elway and Kubiak's autograph on a napkin LOL. I nearly lost my mind when I met him.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2017 at 9:20 AM, Commando Cody said:

@Mick Lady, @Sue B @Diane and all the others that have been praying. 

Met with the doc today.  Not cancer...scary what you can think something is when you research it online.  So it's the gallbladder and I have stones.  For now will try diet to control.  I'm looking into some natural methods because surgery will be my last resort. 

So the hardest part will be giving up bacon...yep I love it.  So trying to eat better and see if I can solve it naturally because I don't want to do any more surgery.  It would have been nice if I had been told it looks like your gallbladder has an issue over pancreas.  So it is something that can be dealt with and nothing life threatening. 

So back to trying to get the original script written and I've gotten some help in trying to see if maybe it is a decent script.  Guess finally putting myself out there to see if this is a possible path.  I still have doubts about my ability to write...sigh.  But I'm trying to rediscover the natural risk taker I once was.  I honestly don't know how much longer I can teach...I want to move on but need a way to support myself in order to do that.  I love teaching the students that want to learn, it's the others I've grown weary of...

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Met with the doc today.  Not cancer...scary what you can think something is when you research it online.  So it's the gallbladder and I have stones.  For now will try diet to control.  I'm looking into some natural methods because surgery will be my last resort. 

So the hardest part will be giving up bacon...yep I love it.  So trying to eat better and see if I can solve it naturally because I don't want to do any more surgery.  It would have been nice if I had been told it looks like your gallbladder has an issue over pancreas.  So it is something that can be dealt with and nothing life threatening. 

So back to trying to get the original script written and I've gotten some help in trying to see if maybe it is a decent script.  Guess finally putting myself out there to see if this is a possible path.  I still have doubts about my ability to write...sigh.  But I'm trying to rediscover the natural risk taker I once was.  I honestly don't know how much longer I can teach...I want to move on but need a way to support myself in order to do that.  I love teaching the students that want to learn, it's the others I've grown weary of...

I'm so glad that it's not more severe than gallstone! That's too much stress!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

Just remember one day at a time. So glad it's not cancer. Just breathe.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

I'm so glad it turned out to be nothing very scary or threatening!

I'm all for diet control and natural solutions, but if it makes you feel better, gallbladder surgery can be done laparoscopically most times and won't cause any major trauma.  My mom had her gallbladder out when she was over 80, with no trouble at all.  (My own gallbladder surgery was more complicated because I had undiagnosed (at the time) liver issues, so I took longer to recover, but it still stopped the attacks, so I count it a win.)  Still can't eat fatty foods, though.  *sigh*  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, 7kstar said:

So it was something, and it was fixable as I had hoped. I'm so glad that the mystery has been solved and that it's something that can be treated.

And if it makes you feel any better, my mom had her gall bladder out when she was like 30ish and she's over 70 now, and it doesn't seem to have affected her at all any of that time that I can see.

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

Still can't eat fatty foods, though.  *sigh* 

Is that something you're not supposed to do after having your gallbladder out? I only ask, because see my above story about my mother... who hasn't refrained from fatty foods since she's had her gallbladder out, and I don't think her doctor has told her anything to this affect. She has low grade type 2 diabetes (medicine controlled versus insulin shots) and so has even given up most carbs... which means fat is part of her daily diet, generally in the form of cheese, mayonnaise, chicken wings, etc. My mom... sometimes I swear she's getting by mainly on her stubbornness alone - hee!

19 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Is that something you're not supposed to do after having your gallbladder out? I only ask, because see my above story about my mother... who hasn't refrained from fatty foods since she's had her gallbladder out, and I don't think her doctor has told her anything to this affect. She has low grade type 2 diabetes (medicine controlled versus insulin shots) and so has even given up most carbs... which means fat is part of her daily diet, generally in the form of cheese, mayonnaise, chicken wings, etc. My mom... sometimes I swear she's getting by mainly on her stubbornness alone - hee!

No, there are no restrictions.  I actually had more problems with fat before the surgery, when things like full-cream ice cream and french fries could trigger an attack.  (Removing the gallbladder can cause some other digestive issues in some people, but there are meds that can help.)   But I've had IBS and other digestive problems all my life, so I pick and choose what's worth getting indigestion over (I'll always go with chocolate, even if I regret it later!)   

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 1

Thanks for that @ahrtee. And sorry to hear about your fatty foods dilemma... and I agree that chocolate is worth regret... especially good chocolate. I don't think I could give that up. Bacon though... that's easy for me. Shockingly, I actually don't much like bacon and actively avoid it. Bleh. Sausage also, unless it's turkey sausage and is used as a flavoring in a dish rather than a main component. And pepperoni - ick. Basically I have a thing with overly salty things. And spicy hot stuff. My taste buds are wimpy.

1 minute ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Thanks for that @ahrtee. And sorry to hear about your fatty foods dilemma... and I agree that chocolate is worth regret... especially good chocolate. I don't think I could give that up. Bacon though... that's easy for me. Shockingly, I actually don't much like bacon and actively avoid it. Bleh. Sausage also, unless it's turkey sausage and is used as a flavoring in a dish rather than a main component. And pepperoni - ick. Basically I have a thing with overly salty things. And spicy hot stuff. My taste buds are wimpy.

Well, I grew up Kosher, so bacon and sausage and things like that weren't even on the radar.  And I never liked spicy foods (probably pre-IBS when I was young) so, yeah, I stick to pretty bland.  Except for chocolate.  IMO there's no such thing as bad chocolate.

2 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

IMO there's no such thing as bad chocolate.

Heh, I'm actually somewhat particular about my chocolate. I'm kind of a "candy connoisseur" in general. I like exotic, weird candies from other countries... generally tending towards tart. Even with chocolate. Dark chocolate lemon creams are my favorite (and not always easy to find).

2 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Heh, I'm actually somewhat particular about my chocolate. I'm kind of a "candy connoisseur" in general. I like exotic, weird candies from other countries... generally tending towards tart. Even with chocolate. Dark chocolate lemon creams are my favorite (and not always easy to find).

Chocolate and lemon, yum!  I'm generally pretty basic in my likes, but I love lemon and ginger (separately or with other things, like Trader Joe's lemon-ginger-echinacea juice or chocolate-covered ginger.)  But milk chocolate is my version of comfort food...nothing too fancy (though if you go back about a year in this thread, you'll see me happily showing off my two very large jars of chocolate-hazelnut spread--oh, the joys of Costco!)  

• Love 1

Heh, sadly we have neither a Costco nor Trader Joe's anywhere close to here that I know of, and forget a Whole Paycheck Foods. My "yes!" is when I come across a World Market. I stock up on my various Haribo favorites (especially the Fruit Salad and Fizzy Colas) and various Turkish, Japanese, and British* candies. And French cookies called Le Petit Ecolier - the 70% dark chocolate covered ones are my favorite. Sadly though, we lost our World Market - which was already 45 minutes away - so I only get to go once or twice a year now when we visit my brother-in-law.

* I also get some at a British store, also in my brother-in-law's town. They have Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles - which are awesome - along with cola cubes, And rhubarb and custard drops. I make them last throughout the year.

Okay, I should stop talking about candy now. ; )

Edited by AwesomO4000

We just got a Trader Joe's a few years ago, and it's in the same shopping center as the Costco, so I can hit both at the same time.  (I used to go to Trader Joe's in San Francisco and Santa Fe when I visited my family, so got addicted to many of their cookies 'n'things long before we got our own store.)

And yes, this is making me hungry and it's way too late to start eating junk food now. :)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Have you ever tried See's Candies, I love their lemon truffles. Mostly I love how I can build my own box and get it delivered, but quality chocolate none the less IMO.

12 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Shockingly, I actually don't much like bacon and actively avoid it. Bleh.

Also this is just wrong on so many levels, did you know you can get chocolate covered bacon?

13 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I actually had more problems with fat before the surgery, when things like full-cream ice cream and french fries could trigger an attack.

No french fries? That's horrible.

In my family the dietary issues/restrictions definitely make holidays and family get together's challenging. We have 2 diabetics, 5 people with lactose intolerance, 1 vegetarian and 2 with GERDs. That's just including the ones we have things with regularly, it's a nightmare planning a menu when it's a bigger get together.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, trxr4kids said:

Have you ever tried See's Candies, I love their lemon truffles. Mostly I love how I can build my own box and get it delivered, but quality chocolate none the less IMO.

Also this is just wrong on so many levels, did you know you can get chocolate covered bacon?

No french fries? That's horrible.

In my family the dietary issues/restrictions definitely make holidays and family get together's challenging. We have 2 diabetics, 5 people with lactose intolerance, 1 vegetarian and 2 with GERDs. That's just including the ones we have things with regularly, it's a nightmare planning a menu when it's a bigger get together.

Love, love , love See's candies. Love, Love, Love BACON!!!! Life is not worth living without it, lol really just kidding, but no bacon, horrible. 

13 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Shockingly, I actually don't much like bacon and actively avoid it. Bleh.

Didn't you know that "EVERYTHING TASTES BETTER WITH BACON!!"? ;)

Although, I agree with you. I'm not big on pig. When I lived with my sister, this was a real problem because she loved pig.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Although, I agree with you. I'm not big on pig.

Pretty sure this would make my daughter cry. Her favorite foods are bacon, ham, sausage and linguica. It's actually pretty funny when people who don't know that watch her consume mass quantities since she's very petite.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Didn't you know that "EVERYTHING TASTES BETTER WITH BACON!!"? ;)

Although, I agree with you. I'm not big on pig. When I lived with my sister, this was a real problem because she loved pig.

As long as none of you are big on long pig .......

• Love 2

@7kstar, so very glad to hear that it is merely gallstones causing your problems. I had my gallbladder taken out almost 25 years ago with a laparoscopic surgery. No problems with either the surgery, recovery, or any eating issues since that time. I don't limit either fats or any other foods. So, hopefully all will go well with you, and if you persist with problems, it's probably easier to get the surgery than to deal with them in the long run.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, FlickChick said:

@7kstar, so very glad to hear that it is merely gallstones causing your problems. I had my gallbladder taken out almost 25 years ago with a laparoscopic surgery. No problems with either the surgery, recovery, or any eating issues since that time. I don't limit either fats or any other foods. So, hopefully all will go well with you, and if you persist with problems, it's probably easier to get the surgery than to deal with them in the long run.

My last surgery took a while to recover from and I know this one isn't as serious as the last, but if I can deal with it without surgery I'm going to try.  Funny, now I know...I'm getting some pain, so is it I'm getting pain because I know something is wrong???? or...

I'm getting some natural suggestions from people so since doing surgery right now, isn't agreeable to my time table, I'll try food choices first.  If it doesn't work, I had friends who have had the surgery so I know I can live a long life without it...I just don't wanna do it.  :)

I think my problem is lately I've been eating out and all the wrong foods, so today trying to move back into eating the right stuff.  Thanks everyone for the support, I'll be fine.  :)

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, 7kstar said:

My last surgery took a while to recover from and I know this one isn't as serious as the last, but if I can deal with it without surgery I'm going to try.  Funny, now I know...I'm getting some pain, so is it I'm getting pain because I know something is wrong???? or...

I'm getting some natural suggestions from people so since doing surgery right now, isn't agreeable to my time table, I'll try food choices first.  If it doesn't work, I had friends who have had the surgery so I know I can live a long life without it...I just don't wanna do it.  :)

I think my problem is lately I've been eating out and all the wrong foods, so today trying to move back into eating the right stuff.  Thanks everyone for the support, I'll be fine.  :)

Sorry I haven't responded sooner 7kstar, life got in the way! Glad to here it's the gallbladder and not cancer! Prayers answered!

Mick had his gallbladder taken out years ago, and it changed his life! He has cut down on fat, but he hasn't had to completely cut it out, and has had no ill effects. He went in for surgery around 6am and was home by noon. Spent a few days in the recliner, and was back to normal within a week. PM with any questions, and Mick will answer.

I get the burn out with teaching, honestly I do. Keep writing! I have faith in you!

• Love 2

My boyfriend keeps moving my life-size cardboard cut out of Jared around.  It started out behind the bar. I kept getting startled every time I walked past it. I moved it to a different location. A couple of days ago I woke up and started to walk out of my bedroom and it was standing there.  I walked into the bathroom tonight and it was standing there.  I'm going to move it out though. Moisture is bad for cardboard.  Seriously, it still startles me like a real person is standing there. 

My boyfriend keeps moving my life-size cardboard cut out of Jared around.  It started out behind the bar. I kept getting startled every time I walked past it. I moved it to a different location. A couple of days ago I woke up and started to walk out of my bedroom and it was standing there.  I walked into the bathroom tonight and it was standing there.  I'm going to move it out though. Moisture is bad for cardboard.  Seriously, it still startles me like a real person is standing there. 

Okay. That was weird. I made a post here -in the impala thread - about my Jared cardboard cut out.  It's not here. Instead I got a message saying my replies have been merged. I wonder where my comment went. 

I guess it did show up here. The comment was just delayed. 

• Love 3

For a way over-priced piece of cardboard, we are getting some chuckles out of it. I almost didn't buy it. They started out at 25 at the first Mpls convention. They were sold out on the first night. They were 35 the second year. They didn't have a Jared. I bought a Jensen and a Misha. Jared and Jensen were 45 this year. I wasn't happy about the price, but I have the triumvirate.  

Jared got me again at the end of the hallway - even thought I put it there. It was dark. He was put back in the bathroom - not by me - and it got me again.  

• Love 6

Brought over from the media thread:

Decided to go ahead and bring this over since I think it's good to keep this thread going... at least until the next "life-sized cardboard Jared" sighting - hee! (I don't know how you do it @Commando Cody, I think my nerves would be shot with all the startling (though I'm actually notoriously difficult to startle by others, I am sometimes able to startle myself)).

For those not interested in art please feel free to skip.

47 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Undergrad degree in art history.  Mother who was an artist and started us with art lessons about age 4.  Life drawing classes at the Art Student's League in NY starting about age 14.  And I did a grad internship at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one of my favorite memories of all times, even though I was interning in the library, not the galleries...but I got to pretend to be staff every day!)  Just haven't had much to do with art for many years now, so this brought out my geek.

My younger sister went to Mass Art for a couple of years, but decided to change majors, unfortunately. I really liked her art. I was also jealous of her student free admission to the Museum of Fine Arts any time she wanted. As a kid, they used to have free admission between 10-12 on Saturdays, and a few times a year my mom would take me into Boston so that I could go. Even as a child I was drawn to the realist stuff (the Dutch masters), and fairly quickly I found my favorite artist: Martin Johnson Heade (The MFA in Boston has quite a few of his works). He's still my favorite, though I often have to explain to others who his is if they ask me my favorite artist - heh.

Did you get free admission to the MMA as part of your internship? (I would suspect you did) I've never been there... what is or was the focus of the museum? And lastly did you have a favorite artist? And what was your medium when you were creating as a teen / young adult? I'm fascinated by art even if I'm not so great at art myself (Though I used to be a pretty good "imitator" - look at a photo and draw it - when I was a teen.) I'm better at crafts now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

My younger sister went to Mass Art for a couple of years, but decided to change majors, unfortunately. I really liked her art. I was also jealous of her student free admission to the Museum of Fine Arts any time she wanted. As a kid, they used to have free admission between 10-12 on Saturdays, and a few times a year my mom would take me into Boston so that I could go. Even as a child I was drawn to the realist stuff (the Dutch masters), and fairly quickly I found my favorite artist: Martin Johnson Heade (The MFA in Boston has quite a few of his works). He's still my favorite, though I often have to explain to others who his is if they ask me my favorite artist - heh.

Did you get free admission to the MMA as part of your internship? (I would suspect you did) I've never been there... what is or was the focus of the museum? And lastly did you have a favorite artist? And what was your medium when you were creating as a teen / young adult? I'm fascinated by art even if I'm not so great at art myself (Though I used to be a pretty good "imitator" - look at a photo and draw it - when I was a teen.) I'm better at crafts now.

I was an art major first before I decided I'd never make a living at it and switched to art history (HAH!)  My minor was archaeology, so I studied a lot of the art of prehistoric, ancient and classical civilizations.  

The Met is "The" big all-art museum in NYC (as opposed to MOMA or the Guggenheim which specialize more).  When I was a kid, the big treat was to go into "the city" (meaning Manhattan, since it took about 2 hours to get there by public transportation--bus and then two subways--from where I lived in Queens) and go to museums--the Met and Museum of Natural History were my favorites.  

The Met has a bit of everything from prehistoric to modern.  They also have wonderful Asian, African and Polynesian departments (and a whole Egyptian wing, including reconstructed tombs.  Did you ever watch Stargate SG1?  The flashback when Daniel's parents were killed was pretty much what the Egyptian Wing was like.)  They also had a whole room of medieval arms and armor and a very nice textile collection, with clothing from various eras.  There's literally something for everyone, and no matter how many times I went there was always something else to see. 

They have (or had?  I haven't been back in over 20 years) a half-dozen research libraries (separate ones for each department) but I was interning in the only library open to the general public--one small room with two walls of books about mostly American painters.  I was also the only one there for the summer, so it was interesting to say the least.  But (more than a free pass) I had a staff ID, so I could come and go whenever or wherever I wanted (including the staff cafeteria, which wasn't as exciting as it sounds :) )  The best part was a weeklong orientation I went through with the other interns, who came from all over the world and were handpicked from the most prestigious institutions (I got in by the simple expedient of being the only one who applied for the library internship, probably because they advertised it in the Museum Studies department and not the library school.  I happened to be taking a museum conservation class so I saw the posting.)  We had behind-the-scenes tours and explanations of the workings of the museum with all the curators.  It was incredible. 

I have to admit I'm not familiar with Heade, though I just googled him and like his work.  I'm pretty eclectic in my tastes, probably because I grew up with so many different styles.  Van Gogh, Monet and Matisse are in my favorites list (I visited the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam back in the 70s shortly after it opened, and it was... overwhelming.)  I also went to the Rijksmuseum and saw all the Dutch masters, and even toured Rembrandt's house.

I tend to be partial to landscapes, and like everything from realism to abstract expressionism. Not wild about purely abstract.   (My mother painted mostly semi-abstract landscapes.)  I was intimidated by a color class back in my studio art days and am still more comfortable with pencils or charcoal.  I haven't done much art at all in years, but I took some silversmithing classes some years ago (including a Navajo Silversmithing class at the Taos Institute of Arts) and was doing some jewelry work (mostly with silver and gemstones.)  I'm not very good with the oxy-acetylene torch (I keep melting the silver!) so it's more of an expensive hobby than anything else.  I used to sell my beading at library craft fairs, but haven't done that lately either.  

In my library career, I was the archivist and photo curator and responsible for selection, preservation and display (and digitization) of the library's historic photo collections (including some contemporary collections of local artists).  So I got to know and appreciate photography, but I'm still a pretty bad photographer myself.  (It's an art thing--you have to be aware of what's actually in your viewfinder, not what you want to see or are ignoring because you're planning to eliminate it in your painting.)  I learned that when I was traveling with a friend who was a photographer--we'd see the same scene in an entirely different way.  

So, TMI (but you asked!)  :)

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 1

No, not TMI at all that was fascinating for me. Your time at the museum sounded amazing and so did your travels. Probably the most well maybe not overwhelming like your Van Gogh museum, but I'd say confounding? (basically not sure how to process it) art experience I had was the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL. It was a lot to process. But the MFA in Boston is still my favorite. Like your MMA, it is large and varied. I think you would love the Monet room. It's filled with his huge waterlily paintings.  The National Gallery in Washington, DC was wonderful as well.

29 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

It's an art thing--you have to be aware of what's actually in your viewfinder, not what you want to see or are ignoring because you're planning to eliminate it in your painting.

This might explain why I'm not so good at art, but I'm a passable photographer? Granted my main subject matter is weird - bugs, fungus, and underwater stuff (my favorite subjects: fire worms and eels) so composition isn't necessarily the main point, though I sometimes use it in my coral photos.

34 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I tend to be partial to landscapes, and like everything from realism to abstract expressionism.

This is one of the first things that attracted me to M. J. Heade. The MFA in Boston had (and still does have) probably the largest collections of his work, and his landscapes are wonderful - and fairly large in real life. There was even one of his haystack landscapes painted from my hometown. I also love his smaller landscapes (the hummingbirds and orchid phase), but for a different reason. And finally his Florida phase - again a different focus - are just beautiful in real life. One interesting thing about Heade - for the art historian in you - because he painted so many paintings in his lifetime (over 600 known I believe) in so many different places (I think there's even some in Central America somewhere where a leader of one of the countries loved his work and gave him some sort of knighthood honor), and he was somewhat popular with middle class buyers, that even in recent times (2003 or so), another one of his paintings was found in an attic somewhere... even in dusty / dirty condition with some paint loss on one side, it sold for over 1 million at a local estate sale auction. So he's one of the few American painters that people still find his stuff from time to time that can be worth a lot (another painting found at a garage sale in 1999 sold for over a million). I think the last I'd heard of was found about 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

I was intimidated by a color class back in my studio art days and am still more comfortable with pencils or charcoal. 

I love color and doing things with color, but I express it in craft... knitting and beading. I love to take different colors of yarn and knit them together to form interesting effects. The first time I showed this to my sister, she was skeptical as to why I'd combine a black, charcoal, and dark grey yarn together in one "thread", but she was surprised by what it ending up becoming (sort of a tweed like effect). I also mix colors - sometimes bright - and sometimes a pattern with two solid other colors. Beading is color, but different. Unlike the sometimes subtle shading differences or merging / complimentary colors of the yarn, beading colors generally need to be different enough to stand apart from each other. Trying to shade can end up in a "muddy" design in some areas. So I love to think about color and ways to use it in my craft stuff. However, I can imagine how in art it might be intimidating... shades of gray and black would be much easier to control and shape, whereas color could easily take over and morph into something overpowering or unbalanced.

2 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Not wild about purely abstract.   

For me it's one segment of modern art: the kind that's a bunch of blocks or paint splotches. I just don't get it. It just looks like blocks and / or lines of paint to me. (Some of the graphic stuff is okay, I kind of like that). I realize it's not the art's fault. It's mine, but nonetheless... I still hate it. As in some of it almost offends me, because I consider it a waste of paint and space.* And Cezanne... I have an irrational dislike of most Cezanne.*** It's weird. Like I want to almost just destroy some of his paintings, because I want to "fix" them and I can't. To me they actually look ugly - like really ugly. And of course my hubby likes him... which is weird, because he's one of those people that has to square up his paper piles before he leaves work, so how can he not see how the perspective is all wrong or the lines are all messy and the color is muddy? Hee.

* Heh... I guess I'm an art racist.
*** I can handle some of his landscapes. Might even find a few interesting.

10 hours ago, ahrtee said:

including a Navajo Silversmithing class at the Taos Institute of Arts)

I'm so jealous! My useless degree was in Anthropology, and the Southwest was my interest. It's been so long since I've been to Taos.

10 hours ago, ahrtee said:

It's an art thing--you have to be aware of what's actually in your viewfinder, not what you want to see or are ignoring because you're planning to eliminate it in your painting.

That's my problem too, but I can't blame it on my non-existent painting! So the SLR sits in the closet.

I use to do oil paintings.  I gave some away and found that most didn't really want them so I stop giving them away.  Then time got away and stopped painting.  May try again when I retire from teaching...My problem with time is my energy just isn't there to do things even if I want to do them.

============================================  May be another over share can skip============

Okay...asking for prayers, my older brother has really upset my parents.  Both are along in years and the nut shell he's told them they were horrible parents.  He's complaining about stuff that happened so long ago and he has grown children.  They could write the same letter to him.  Well mom has gotten so upset it's made her sick.  She's in hospital but it wasn't a stroke, so I'm hoping she will be out today.  She was hiding she was in the hospital but they called my younger brother and he got hold of me.  So I called last night and yes she's still upset about being a terrible mother and wants me to tell her how to fix it.

I want to hit my older brother, because Dad is worried about losing his ability to walk and now what is wrong with my mom.

Then add that my middle school kids got into a verbal fight on stage and the stress of trying to get a play produced...my health issues that I'm not telling my parents about...so a little overwhelmed.  So I caved and had a subway but did manage to not put bacon on it.  Pain levels are bad so I'm taking the pain meds...  It's my life.  So many little things that by itself wouldn't be bad but together it packs a powerful punch.

So in a little while I'll be writing on the murder mystery and I just might imagine killing my brother.  Just how should I do it?....:)

10 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

I use to do oil paintings.  I gave some away and found that most didn't really want them so I stop giving them away.  Then time got away and stopped painting.  May try again when I retire from teaching...My problem with time is my energy just isn't there to do things even if I want to do them.

============================================  May be another over share can skip============

Okay...asking for prayers, my older brother has really upset my parents.  Both are along in years and the nut shell he's told them they were horrible parents.  He's complaining about stuff that happened so long ago and he has grown children.  They could write the same letter to him.  Well mom has gotten so upset it's made her sick.  She's in hospital but it wasn't a stroke, so I'm hoping she will be out today.  She was hiding she was in the hospital but they called my younger brother and he got hold of me.  So I called last night and yes she's still upset about being a terrible mother and wants me to tell her how to fix it.

I want to hit my older brother, because Dad is worried about losing his ability to walk and now what is wrong with my mom.

Then add that my middle school kids got into a verbal fight on stage and the stress of trying to get a play produced...my health issues that I'm not telling my parents about...so a little overwhelmed.  So I caved and had a subway but did manage to not put bacon on it.  Pain levels are bad so I'm taking the pain meds...  It's my life.  So many little things that by itself wouldn't be bad but together it packs a powerful punch.

So in a little while I'll be writing on the murder mystery and I just might imagine killing my brother.  Just how should I do it?....:)

I'm sorry about your brother, which must be adding to your health issues (stress does wonderful things to issues that had only been simmering up till then!)  

I've found that a lot of "grown-ups" at some point come to the sudden realization that all their problems are their parents' fault (it's often when they realize how messed up their own lives are and don't want to take the responsibility for it.)  But you might want to talk to him and tell him that even if it *is* true, what does he want to get out of it?  Get an apology? Make them hurt?  Would that make him feel better?  Maybe then he'd back off.  If not, make him the victim of your murder mystery (make it a nice, violent death) and invite your parents to the play.  :)  

I'd say get back to painting, but not if you're going to feel pressured either to finish it if you lose inspiration, or to make it look "perfect."  Paint what you like/what makes you feel good, not what you think others would like (unless you're trying to make a living at it. :)  )  Consider it "art therapy."  (Maybe paint your brother as a monster with the Winchesters after him!)  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, auntvi said:

I'm so jealous! My useless degree was in Anthropology, and the Southwest was my interest. It's been so long since I've been to Taos.

That's my problem too, but I can't blame it on my non-existent painting! So the SLR sits in the closet.

I took a lot of Anthro classes on the southwest long before I moved out here (my big (ie, 90% of my grade) term paper in college was on the reasons for the abandonment of the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde, Bandelier and Chaco Canyon.  I did my research at the Library of Congress just to intimidate my teacher, who was a jerk (and not the SPN kind.) :)  

My parents moved to Santa Fe in 1984 (and I moved to Colorado in 1985) so I've spent a lot of time in the SW.

I was never a very good photographer because I don't have the patience to line up my shots to get the perfect angle, composition, and lighting.  Maybe it's because I'm usually  thinking of how I'll put it into a painting (my mom always used "reference photographs" to base her paintings on, not as actual good photography) but I think it's more paying more attention to the idea behind the image instead of the image itself.  (Does that make sense?)    

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

This might explain why I'm not so good at art, but I'm a passable photographer? Granted my main subject matter is weird - bugs, fungus, and underwater stuff (my favorite subjects: fire worms and eels) so composition isn't necessarily the main point, though I sometimes use it in my coral photos.

I love underwater stuff and am very jealous of you (I can't swim, so I'm terrified of snorkeling or diving, even though one of my bucket list items is to see coral reefs and saltwater fish up close and IRL. I watch sea turtle videos to relax when I'm stressed.)  I also love closeups of bugs and fungus and things like that (love the different textures and patterns you can only see up close).  I'm not that squeamish about bugs (except scorpions, centipedes and hairy spiders.  I never quite got over finding a wolf spider on my bathroom mirror, so I could see both sides at once!)  Dislike (but can mostly ignore) cockroaches (my NYC upbringing) and millipedes (which seem to take over my house at this time of year.)  I had to take my cat to the vet the other day for tummy troubles, and we decided he'd probably eaten a millipede.  No long-lasting harm (to him, at least.  I'm pretty sure the bug didn't make it.)

I love color and doing things with color, but I express it in craft... knitting and beading. I love to take different colors of yarn and knit them together to form interesting effects. The first time I showed this to my sister, she was skeptical as to why I'd combine a black, charcoal, and dark grey yarn together in one "thread", but she was surprised by what it ending up becoming (sort of a tweed like effect). I also mix colors - sometimes bright - and sometimes a pattern with two solid other colors. Beading is color, but different. Unlike the sometimes subtle shading differences or merging / complimentary colors of the yarn, beading colors generally need to be different enough to stand apart from each other. Trying to shade can end up in a "muddy" design in some areas. So I love to think about color and ways to use it in my craft stuff. However, I can imagine how in art it might be intimidating... shades of gray and black would be much easier to control and shape, whereas color could easily take over and morph into something overpowering or unbalanced.

I love beading--that was my "gateway drug" to silversmithing.  (I've always been a rockhound at heart and love gems and minerals, especially the colors).  Creating jewelry is the only time I'm not intimidated by color, maybe because it's not blending colors but putting them together side by side; or maybe it's because I can change my mind (and my design) over and over until I feel it's right, before I actually commit to it.  Less stressful decision making for me, I guess. :)  

I used to knit and crochet but was never very good at it (same as the photography issues, I think--too impatient to actually do it right.)  Also, maybe short attention span, so I get bored (though when I'm focusing on an art project, I can keep working all night without realizing it.)  I love seeing knit things that have the kind of interesting effects you mention, and am always awed by people who can do that!

I realize it's not the art's fault. It's mine, but nonetheless... I still hate it. As in some of it almost offends me, because I consider it a waste of paint and space.

LOL.  No.  IMO the *ONLY* purpose of "fine" art (as opposed to commercial art or design, which is intended to tell a story or sell something) is as a form of expression of the artist.  If someone else gets an emotion out of it, that's a win.  And if they see what the artist  intended (especially if they like it), that's a bonus.  But if you don't see it (or like it) that's the "art's fault," not yours.  If you like something just because someone tells you that you should, that's defeating the purpose.  Art is (or should be) personal.  Don't take anyone else's opinions about what's good or trendy or valuable, just consider the reaction you get to it.  (That's my preaching for the day, based on years of *not* selling anything, and not expecting anyone to like the same things I do.)  :)  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 3

I've been going through pretty much my whole educational background, just because I love talking about art (I rarely get the chance any more.)  Is it allowed to ask what other people here do/like to do?  I know 7KStar is a teacher, and I remember in the past hearing about an entomologist (is that you, @AwesomO4000?)  And there were some statisticians and apparently way more scientists (or scientifically-minded people) than I meet in my art(ish) circles.  I took some ornithology classes and like field bio, but chemistry/biochemistry and anything to do with higher mathematics (other than grade-school level arithmetic)  make me hyperventilate.  (I remember liking geometry in high school, but it disappeared from memory as soon as I graduated.)  What do others enjoy doing (whether as a career or not?)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ahrtee said:

and I remember in the past hearing about an entomologist (is that you, @AwesomO4000?) 

Yes, that's me. I've been fascinated with bugs and the eight-legged things that will not be mentioned (because they scare @Mick Lady) since I was a little girl. When it came time to choose what college I'd go to I applied to two - The University of Florida (for Entomology) and the University of Miami (for Marine Biology). I got accepted to both and after careful consideration, I went with the Entomology, because I can't go to the bottom of a deep pool without feeling like my head's gonna pop and I couldn't imagine carrying those huge air tanks on my back. So Entomology became my career, and snorkeling is my favorite hobby.

15 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I love underwater stuff and am very jealous of you (I can't swim, so I'm terrified of snorkeling or diving, even though one of my bucket list items is to see coral reefs and saltwater fish up close and IRL. I watch sea turtle videos to relax when I'm stressed.) 

You still can! I don't know about other places, but in Roatan where I go, they have special glass bottom boats where you don't just look down but actually sit down like 6 feet below*** the waterline and look out windows on either side at the coral reef. Now I haven't done it myself, but it looks like it would be a great compromise for someone who wants to get up close and personal without actually going into the water. Visibility in Roatan is incredible so you'd be able to see everything. West End - where a lot of these tours take place - is where hubby and I do a lot of our snorkeling, because the coral reef is right there. Last trip we also went on the south side, and it was great, but the reef isn't as close. In Roatan, you don't necessarily have to scuba to see the "good stuff." Hubby and I probably see just as much stuff as the scuba divers do - maybe more(?) because we have no time limits. We can snorkel as long as we want. I use a "cheater snorkel." If it goes underwater, it closes up, so no water gets inside. I generally stay on the surface anyway. Last trip we still saw new stuff even though this was like our 5th time. This time it was mantis shrimp - for some reason, they seemed to be everywhere this trip - a golden chain moray, and seahorses. That was along with my usual fireworms (also really abundant this year), a shy octopus, sharptail eels (I seem to be good at finding these beautiful creatures), squid (which are beautiful), turtles, green moray eels, and a kazillion kinds of fish (no sharks).  If you go during offseason (i.e. summer), you can have a tour that has less people. Most dive shops in the West End can point you to how to get on one, and you don't have to go via cruise - though it's a nice stop if cruising is your thing, and some Western Caribbean cruises stop in Roatan. So even with no swimming - your bucketlist item is doable!

*** Now there is also an actual submarine ride you can take on Roatan. I kid you not. It is expensive and somewhat intimidating. Hubby and I have considered it, but even we are a little scared, This guy builds his own subs and takes people down like 2000 feet - I kid you not. People on Roatan are serious about their underwater activities - hee!

12 hours ago, ahrtee said:

What do others enjoy doing (whether as a career or not?)

In addition to the Entomology, snorkeling, photography, knitting, beading, and art appreciation, I also collect vintage buttons (glass and metal), seashells, glass things, and used to collect fossils (mostly small shark teeth - I have 100s, maybe a 1000 or two), enjoy museums - mostly science and art, though (sadly history bores me), and nature in general. I love rock exhibits. On my one trip to Washington DC, I spent hours in the rocks and minerals section of the Natural History museum there. (It was that museum's time to be open until 7:30, so I'd go there after the other museums closed). I also have a small vegetable garden, though vegetable gardening in Georgia is a challenge compared to other places I have gardened. It ain't easy that's for sure. Oh, and I love online (free) puzzle and word games.

As you can probably see, I have way too many hobbies and interests - hee.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2017 at 4:40 PM, ahrtee said:

I've been going through pretty much my whole educational background, just because I love talking about art (I rarely get the chance any more.)  Is it allowed to ask what other people here do/like to do?  I know 7KStar is a teacher, and I remember in the past hearing about an entomologist (is that you, @AwesomO4000?)  And there were some statisticians and apparently way more scientists (or scientifically-minded people) than I meet in my art(ish) circles.  I took some ornithology classes and like field bio, but chemistry/biochemistry and anything to do with higher mathematics (other than grade-school level arithmetic)  make me hyperventilate.  (I remember liking geometry in high school, but it disappeared from memory as soon as I graduated.)  What do others enjoy doing (whether as a career or not?)

I'm not as interesting as everyone else here seems to be ;) I'm a purchasing assistant at a company that manufactures and distributes scientific and chemistry products. I've been doing this for about 8 years now & I'll probably stay at my company until I retire. I was in the military for a while and it was my goal to make it a long term career until my asthma made a medical discharge necessary :( I enjoy reading & have written a few short stories; I actually posted one online for another fandom.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Yes, that's me. I've been fascinated with bugs and the eight-legged things that will not be mentioned (because they scare @Mick Lady) since I was a little girl. When it came time to choose what college I'd go to I applied to two - The University of Florida (for Entomology) and the University of Miami (for Marine Biology). I got accepted to both and after careful consideration, I went with the Entomology, because I can't go to the bottom of a deep pool without feeling like my head's gonna pop and I couldn't imagine carrying those huge air tanks on my back. So Entomology became my career, and snorkeling is my favorite hobby.

You still can! I don't know about other places, but in Roatan where I go, they have special glass bottom boats where you don't just look down but actually sit down like 6 feet below*** the waterline and look out windows on either side at the coral reef. Now I haven't done it myself, but it looks like it would be a great compromise for someone who wants to get up close and personal without actually going into the water. Visibility in Roatan is incredible so you'd be able to see everything. West End - where a lot of these tours take place - is where hubby and I do a lot of our snorkeling, because the coral reef is right there. Last trip we also went on the south side, and it was great, but the reef isn't as close. In Roatan, you don't necessarily have to scuba to see the "good stuff." Hubby and I probably see just as much stuff as the scuba divers do - maybe more(?) because we have no time limits. We can snorkel as long as we want. I use a "cheater snorkel." If it goes underwater, it closes up, so no water gets inside. I generally stay on the surface anyway. Last trip we still saw new stuff even though this was like our 5th time. This time it was mantis shrimp - for some reason, they seemed to be everywhere this trip - a golden chain moray, and seahorses. That was along with my usual fireworms (also really abundant this year), a shy octopus, sharptail eels (I seem to be good at finding these beautiful creatures), squid (which are beautiful), turtles, green moray eels, and a kazillion kinds of fish (no sharks).  If you go during offseason (i.e. summer), you can have a tour that has less people. Most dive shops in the West End can point you to how to get on one, and you don't have to go via cruise - though it's a nice stop if cruising is your thing, and some Western Caribbean cruises stop in Roatan. So even with no swimming - your bucketlist item is doable!

*** Now there is also an actual submarine ride you can take on Roatan. I kid you not. It is expensive and somewhat intimidating. Hubby and I have considered it, but even we are a little scared, This guy builds his own subs and takes people down like 2000 feet - I kid you not. People on Roatan are serious about their underwater activities - hee!

In addition to the Entomology, snorkeling, photography, knitting, beading, and art appreciation, I also collect vintage buttons (glass and metal), seashells, glass things, and used to collect fossils (mostly small shark teeth - I have 100s, maybe a 1000 or two), enjoy museums - mostly science and art, though (sadly history bores me), and nature in general. I love rock exhibits. On my one trip to Washington DC, I spent hours in the rocks and minerals section of the Natural History museum there. (It was that museum's time to be open until 7:30, so I'd go there after the other museums closed). I also have a small vegetable garden, though vegetable gardening in Georgia is a challenge compared to other places I have gardened. It ain't easy that's for sure. Oh, and I love online (free) puzzle and word games.

As you can probably see, I have way too many hobbies and interests - hee.

I'm going to have to look up Roatan!  (Not in my budget right now, unfortunately...)  I'm not sure if I'd feel better or worse in a glass bottom boat (I'm not particularly afraid of heights, but depths?  Maybe...)  But it sounds beautiful, so maybe I'll gather my nerve (and money!) for a future trip.  I haven't been on a cruise for about 15 years, so maybe that's what I should be looking at!

My mom gathered buttons (I don't think you'd call it anything as organized as "collecting" :) ) so I had a lot to go through when we emptied her house.  I gave first pick to a friend of mine who is an avid sewer and loves quirky things, and kept a few that had some memories (some from clothing I had as a kid, some of my grandmother's things.)  I also came across a set of 8 or so smallish gold buttons that, when I looked closely, had a leaping Impala on them! (needless to say, I kept those.  If you have something wonderful to use them on, I can send 'em to you, since I don't sew, they're just tucked away in a drawer,  and I have way too much "stuff" in my house as is.)  

I spent a lot of time in the mineral exhibits at the Museum of Natural History in NY and Washington.  I'm going to have to go to the one in Denver to see how they compare.  I love fossils and have a few fish and fern ones, but I do have a collection of ammonites--some pyritized, some plain stone, some polished so they look like marble.  (You can never have too many ammonites!)  

• Love 1
On 10/21/2017 at 3:40 PM, ahrtee said:

(I remember liking geometry in high school, but it disappeared from memory as soon as I graduated.)  What do others enjoy doing (whether as a career or not?)

That’s the last time I was anywhere near math myself!

I grew up in Louisville, spent about 20 yrs in NJ/NY. Now in Chicago. 

I started college as a French/Art History major (absolutely no aptitude in art, though) and then switched to Anthropology. When I was a preteen my family spent a few summer vacations camping in New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona. That’s where I got interested in the Pueblos & Anasazi ruins. The closest I ever got to real archaeology was a salvage dig in Tennessee one summer during college. Unfortunately the last time I traveled out west was in the late 80s, early 90s to ski - Aspen, Breckenridge, Taos, Jackson Hole ( where I realized that I was a lousy, lousy skier). 

I worked my way up from secretary to a marketing mgr - back when you could still do that! After I was laid off I decided I needed to go back to school. MBA was out because of math, PhD in Anthropology would take too long and not pay enough $$, so I went to law school. Ended up divorced, but it turns out that’s what I should have done before. I was a writer & editor for a legal publisher for several yrs and enjoyed the work & the people, until I was laid off. I’ve been floating from one thing to another since and I’m semi-retired now, working part time to make ends meet. 

I discovered & binged Supernatural a few years ago, I think s. 10 was the first I watched in real time. Came to it via Jared in Gilmore Girls and my daughter. Also discovered Fringe & Battlestar Galactica and I think I’m ready to binge them again! Actually the first show I binged was The Wire & I don’t know if I’ve fully recovered from that!

While I was unemployed I decided to try knitting again and that has almost literally saved my life. It’s challenged me and has given me a sense of accomplishment I really need. Most of my friends now are from my knitting group, different ages & occupations- even a few other lawyers. And any disposable income I have goes for yarn!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, auntvi said:

Now in Chicago. 

I finally got to visit Chicago a couple years ago for a conference.  I loved it!  Everyone was so friendly!  (And bonus: they liked my southern accent! ;) ) I keep making plans to go back, but it just hasn't worked out so far.  

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I finally got to visit Chicago a couple years ago for a conference.  I loved it!  Everyone was so friendly!  (And bonus: they liked my southern accent! ;) ) I keep making plans to go back, but it just hasn't worked out so far.  

As another Southerner, I have to say it’s always nice when people elsewhere appreciate a Southern accent! My accent sort of flattened out after I spent part of my childhood overseas, but I’ve had people make fun of me for saying y’all. Bless their hearts.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

As another Southerner, I have to say it’s always nice when people elsewhere appreciate a Southern accent! My accent sort of flattened out after I spent part of my childhood overseas, but I’ve had people make fun of me for saying y’all. Bless their hearts.

When I first moved to Colorado, I got so self-conscious at people making fun of me when I said "draw" instead of "drawer" that once, when I was at a McDonalds with my boss, I told her I was going to get a "strawer" for my drink.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I came up here with friends when I was in high school. We went out one night, and the guys loved one friend who has a really thick accent. I've pretty much lost my accent, until I go back to Kentucky, then I pick it up again.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

My accent sort of flattened out after I spent part of my childhood overseas, but I’ve had people make fun of me for saying y’all. Bless their hearts.

Y'all or youall has stuck with me too.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Or automatically treat you like you're stupid thanks to the likes of Mama June.

8 hours ago, ahrtee said:

When I first moved to Colorado, I got so self-conscious at people making fun of me when I said "draw" instead of "drawer" that once, when I was at a McDonalds with my boss, I told her I was going to get a "strawer" for my drink.  

Aw!  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

(And bonus: they liked my southern accent! ;) 

When I was in college I worked in a national park a couple summers. There were college students from all over the country working there. It was the first time I'd ever been told I had an accent--I grew up in Oregon and never considered we had accents. Anyway, we had a lot of fun joking about all of our accents. There was a lot of "I don't have an accent, you have an accent!" ;)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

When I was in college I worked in a national park a couple summers. There were college students from all over the country working there. It was the first time I'd ever been told I had an accent--I grew up in Oregon and never considered we had accents. Anyway, we had a lot of fun joking about all of our accents. There was a lot of "I don't have an accent, you have an accent!" ;)

Yeah, I tend to forget I have an 'accent' most of the time, or don't think it's as heavy as can be at times.  :)

Don't think I've ever heard an Oregon accent.  What are some typical characteristics?  You know, so next time I hear one, I can make fun of them! ;) (kidding! j/k!) 

53 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Don't think I've ever heard an Oregon accent.  What are some typical characteristics?  You know, so next time I hear one, I can make fun of them! ;) (kidding! j/k!) 

I don't know, but apparently I have one--or did anyway. 

To be fair, though, I was told I had a West Coast accent. Which highly offended me at first because I do not talk Californian! ;)