Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Like, totally fer sure, right? ;)

Dude, nah. That's only Valley Girl speak. There is surfer/beach speak which is totally different than Valley Girl speak, bruh. Remember Spicoli from Fast Times. That's a whole other "dialect" in California. And don't leave out that tech speak which is all mixed in and pedantic. The Californians on SNL is pretty accurate for a lot of the suburbans parts of SoCal. It's funny cause it's true. LOL

Dude, nah. That's only Valley Girl speak. There is surfer/beach speak which is totally different than Valley Girl speak, bruh. Remember Spicoli from Fast Times. That's a whole other "dialect" in California. And don't leave out that tech speak which is all mixed in and pedantic. The Californians on SNL is pretty accurate for a lot of the suburbans parts of SoCal. It's funny cause it's true. LOL

Edited by catrox14
multiple posts weirdness
On 10/23/2017 at 3:30 PM, auntvi said:

@DeeDee79  I worked in the chem, biochemistry, molecular biology research supply    area on the marketing side for several years. 

Is your current work in these sciences also? In my department we actually work pretty closely with the marketing department. Whenever we're running a big promotion we're constantly getting drop ins from the supervisors to make sure that stock is plentiful before the promotions run on our website. I've always been pretty hopeless with it comes to all things scientific so the general use of most of our products is lost on me :(

I knew very little science when I started. I picked up a some key words & concepts but that’s about it. Now I’m working for a market research co part time- no where near science or legal for that matter. 

4 hours ago, ahrtee said:

In honor of @AwesomO4000:  this showed up in my desk calendar yesterday, and I thought of you :)

59f808b096b05_bugchartcropped.thumb.jpg.a8ca83b184e1c4205bdcfcfc9878dcb9.jpg

Hee!

It may not make you sleep any better at night to know that there are at least a few bugs (or the eight legged things we shall not name) that actually would go into the "definitely not a bug" category... and one or two that might actually exceed it: at least in length. (Google Dobsonflies for an example).

• Love 3

My son and his girlfriend came over today. I moved Jared downstairs to the hallway so it could freak them out too. It worked.

Sam is now between the double doors to the house greeting trick or treaters. 

The four tween girls, who just stopped by, all excitedly pointed at him and asked "Who's that"?

IMG_0092-001.JPG.f8cca91cd6db51f99fad1f94eed4b63d.JPG

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I only had two trick or treaters all night! But on the plus side, now I have a lot of Kit-Kats all for myself.

I live waaaay up on a hill, so no one wants to come up here to trick or treat, so I go to the trick-or-treaters. We have a neighborhood about a 1/4 mile away that takes Halloween really seriously so hundreds of kids trick or treat up and down that street, another street that comes off of that one (where every house on that small street goes all out with huge lighted displays), another street a 1/4 mile on the other side of my neighborhood, and the major street in between these two. So my mom and I take two huge bowls of candy and my mom's bowl of Halloween pencils, creepy crawlies, stickers, etc. and set up two chairs at the intersection of that first street and the major street that goes to the second neighborhood and the trick-or-treaters find us. Sometimes we yell "candy" if they are on the other side of the road and they come on over.

We've gotten pretty good at it. This year I gave out only one "big" thing per kid or 3 mini tootsie pops or 4-5 tootsie roll midgees (depending on what they wanted). The candy lasted much longer this time. I also got a good mix, so that there wasn't just one thing left until the very end. I got a huge chocolate mix (butterfingers, 100,000 bars - which the dads seemed to like, Nestle crunches, butter finger cups), tootsie pop minnies (better than the big ones in my opinion), tootsie roll midgees, "Mom" (and Dad)*** candy (Goetze's caramel creams - aka bull's eyes), and for the first time: a huge bag of Haribo gummy variety bags. I need to get those again for sure as they were extremely popular.

I learned pretty quickly on the first time we did this to hand it out rather than let them take. Most are very polite and only take one, but it only takes a few grabbies to deplete the bowl. So they get to see the goodies and decide what they want and I drop it - or them for the little stuff - into their bag, pumpkin, etc. Mom and I actually had candy to give out for almost two hours. Just little bite sizes and such, but that way we could give stuff to a couple hundred kids at least, so we had a good time.

*** Mom's and Dad's seem to appreciate those, however my sister had the best idea for a Mom and Dad treat. One year, she made jello shots to hand out. Needless to say, her house was very popular - hee.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I live waaaay up on a hill, so no one wants to come up here to trick or treat, so I go to the trick-or-treaters. We have a neighborhood about a 1/4 mile away that takes Halloween really seriously so hundreds of kids trick or treat up and down that street, another street that comes off of that one (where every house on that small street goes all out with huge lighted displays), another street a 1/4 mile on the other side of my neighborhood, and the major street in between these two. So my mom and I take two huge bowls of candy and my mom's bowl of Halloween pencils, creepy crawlies, stickers, etc. and set up two chairs at the intersection of that first street and the major street that goes to the second neighborhood and the trick-or-treaters find us. Sometimes we yell "candy" if they are on the other side of the road and they come on over.

We've gotten pretty good at it. This year I gave out only one "big" thing per kid or 3 mini tootsie pops or 4-5 tootsie roll midgees (depending on what they wanted). The candy lasted much longer this time. I also got a good mix, so that there wasn't just one thing left until the very end. I got a huge chocolate mix (butterfingers, 100,000 bars - which the dads seemed to like, Nestle crunches, butter finger cups), tootsie pop minnies (better than the big ones in my opinion), tootsie roll midgees, "Mom" (and Dad)*** candy (Goetze's caramel creams - aka bull's eyes), and for the first time: a huge bag of Haribo gummy variety bags. I need to get those again for sure as they were extremely popular.

I learned pretty quickly on the first time we did this to hand it out rather than let them take. Most are very polite and only take one, but it only takes a few grabbies to deplete the bowl. So they get to see the goodies and decide what they want and I drop it - or them for the little stuff - into their bag, pumpkin, etc. Mom and I actually had candy to give out for almost two hours. Just little bite sizes and such, but that way we could give stuff to a couple hundred kids at least, so we had a good time.

*** Mom's and Dad's seem to appreciate those, however my sister had the best idea for a Mom and Dad treat. One year, she made jello shots to hand out. Needless to say, her house was very popular - hee.

You sound like the best neighbor ever! 

• Love 3
On 10/21/2017 at 3:36 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

For me it's one segment of modern art: the kind that's a bunch of blocks or paint splotches. I just don't get it. It just looks like blocks and / or lines of paint to me. (Some of the graphic stuff is okay, I kind of like that).

How do you like Kandinsky? Pretty abstract, but the colors are amazing (and personally, I love the composition/movement). If you hate Cezanne, I'm sure you hate HATE Kandinsky, though ;)

My personal favorites are Kandinsky and Vermeer -- not that they're all that similar to each other?

On 10/22/2017 at 5:53 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

On my one trip to Washington DC, I spent hours in the rocks and minerals section of the Natural History museum there.

Well, you are certainly welcome to come back! Natural History is awesome.

Although the only other Natural History museum I remember ever having gone to is the La Brea Tar Pits, so *shrug* maybe I just don't know any better ;)

Kandinsky_Vasily-ZZZ-Composition_VI.jpg

3 hours ago, rue721 said:

How do you like Kandinsky? Pretty abstract, but the colors are amazing (and personally, I love the composition/movement).

I didn't like him years ago, but I went to a museum in Munich a few years ago that was full of Kandinsky and discovered I love him. It's a small museum that has only paintings from "Der Blaue Reiter", a movement in the early 1900s that included Kandinsky, Franz Marc and Paul Klee. I love the colors, too.

3_3_5_2_G-17562__KANDINSKYW-SCAN_450_01.

5380.jpg

• Love 1
10 hours ago, rue721 said:

Although the only other Natural History museum I remember ever having gone to is the La Brea Tar Pits, so *shrug* maybe I just don't know any better ;)

Oh, I love them. I've been to the Boston Science Museum (many times), the Field Museum in Chicago, the one in Atlanta, and the Harvard Museum at the least. Also the one at the University of Florida which used to have an open museum day where we could go down into the working areas of the museum and see all the stuff down there and the curators and scientists working there. You could bring stuff to ask questions about, so I brought in some of my more obscure fossils for them to look at (I still have a few they couldn't identify either and so I still don't know what they are.)

However the La Brea Tar Pits museum sounds fascinating. I'm going to have to put that on my "to do" list for when my hubby and I retire and take an RV trip across the western states (along with visiting the Grand Canyon, the rock formations in Utah, and the painted desert.) I've seen the giant Sequoias - time for the rock formations now.

10 hours ago, rue721 said:

If you hate Cezanne, I'm sure you hate HATE Kandinsky, though ;)

Weirdly looking at his entry on Wikipedia, I really like some of that, especially the stuff like the one you posted. I would post some, too, but I'm wary of posting stuff nowadays*** I actually like geometric type stuff. However some of the earlier stuff like Der Blaue Reiter (1903) and Munich-Schwabing with the Church of St. Ursula (1908)... nope, nope, nope. So pretty much the geometric, colorful abstract stuff - even the Bauhaus period work - I like those quite a bit, but the globby, abstract landscapes like those two above... you're right I hate them. A lot. Hee.

With Cezanne, if you want to see the stuff that drives me crazy it's his stuff like "The Bathers" or "The Large Bathers" (most of his bather themed paintings) and most of his still lifes. He also has some early period dark stuff like "The Murder" and "The Abduction" that is just disturbing as well as not aesthetically pleasing (TM Nina Garcia) to me. And it may be just me, because I read all of the art critics talking about his genius and explaining it and.. I  still don't get it. A great example "A Modern Olympia." I don't find it to be "a sense of the mystery of the world." I just see it as messy and ugly. And the multiple perspectives thing isn't freeing and inventive to me... it's annoying and lazy(?) Portrait of Madame Cezanne? She looks like she should be on The Walking Dead to me. But again, it must be mostly me (though thank you @ahrtee for giving me an out and saying it's the art's fault : ) ), because I know that Cezanne is quite beloved. Just not by me. Heh.

In comparison, I think much of Kandinsky's work I'm seeing here online is geometric, beautifully colored, and imaginative. (Except the landscapes which I do mostly hate - hee). With Cezanne, it's not the abstract nature I don't like; it's the muddy (to me) colors, the "messy" lines, the ugly (or lacking) expressions, the unnatural, sometimes disturbing angles of the bodies, and the multiple perspectives that I almost irrationally hate.

*** (I can't tell anymore what's safe and what's copyright infringement, since stuff is changing all the time as to what's considered "stock" and what isn't), and I'm still getting used to my new photo account... My old one I lost image hosting on, and so my photo links are now defunct : ( , so I closed the account.)

• Love 1

How do you feel about Gauguin? As soon as I took a look at Cezanne's The Bathers, I thought of him. Here's a painting of his that doesn't have any nudity...but also isn't as much like The Bathers as the ones that do have nudity are ;)

BTW the La Brea Tar Pits are actually incredibly cool. It's a pretty small museum, but places like that just get your imagination going, you know?

gauguin_paul_3.jpg

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

"Don't be too concerned with the opinions of udders."

Because they're a moo point? (TM Joey Tribiani) ***

*** For those unfamiliar, Joey Tribiani from Friends uses "moo point" instead of "moot point," because it's like a cow's opinion... it doesn't matter. (I'm smiling just thinking about it as I type this).

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Because they're a moo point? (TM Joey Tribiani) ***

*** For those unfamiliar, Joey Tribiani from Friends uses "moo point" instead of "moot point," because it's like a cow's opinion... it doesn't matter. (I'm smiling just thinking about it as I type this).

• Love 2

Anyone ever had a 'clicky jaw'.  Started a few days ago and it's driving me nuts.  Clicks while I'm eating and even talking.  Doesn't seem worthwhile going to dr for such a little thing but I'm slowly going insane.  I've even done the ear wax Murine but it's not that.  click click click inside my head.  Taking all joy out of eating. 

Just now, Pondlass1 said:

Anyone ever had a 'clicky jaw'.  Started a few days ago and it's driving me nuts.  Clicks while I'm eating and even talking.  Doesn't seem worthwhile going to dr for such a little thing but I'm slowly going insane.  I've even done the ear wax Murine but it's not that.  click click click inside my head.  Taking all joy out of eating. 

I've had it before. It typically goes away in a couple of days.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2017 at 8:34 AM, Pondlass1 said:

You can check with your dentist if it doesn't go away.  It might be an alignment issue with your jaw, or sometimes just grinding your teeth (at night, when you're not aware of it) throws things off.  It is annoying, isn't it?

Never knew where to post this, so I'll put it here. I always thought Supernatural should use this Pink Floyd song: " Wish You Were Here" Probably can't afford it.

Wish You Were Here

Pink Floyd

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I…

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, rue721 said:

How do you feel about Gauguin? As soon as I took a look at Cezanne's The Bathers, I thought of him. Here's a painting of his that doesn't have any nudity...but also isn't as much like The Bathers as the ones that do have nudity are ;)

BTW the La Brea Tar Pits are actually incredibly cool. It's a pretty small museum, but places like that just get your imagination going, you know?

gauguin_paul_3.jpg

I'm so late to this , but I must say, Cezanne is the best colorist in the world! I'm an art nut.

7 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

I'm an art nut.

So you're the one that bought the rare Da Vinci painting for $450 million.  ;)  When I lived in London I worked in an office on Millbank right next to the Tate Gallery.  It used to be free (don't know if it is now) and we'd pretty much walk through most lunch hours.  

11 hours ago, ahrtee said:

You can check with your dentist if it doesn't go away.  It might be an alignment issue with your jaw, or sometimes just grinding your teeth (at night, when you're not aware of it) throws things off.  It is annoying, isn't it?

Still clicking so have a dentist appointment next week. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Didn't know it was your birthday! Given time zones I'm not sure if 12 hours ago was yesterday or today. Either way, happy birthday!  ?

LOL I was born at 11 pm on  Nov 15 so I figure either 15 or 16th is okay. Thank you!!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

Happy birthday catrox14!

I'm on the west coast for work and need to watch the show on the app. Does anyone know what time they put the episode up?

5 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Happy Birthday catrox! I'm sure the boys from Supernatural would chime in too if they knew. You're the shows BIGGEST fan!

2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Happy birthday @catrox14 :)

Aww, thanks guys!! I'm going to just extend my celebration to this evening with TFW+1 and my SPN friends here!

2 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

Happy birthday catrox14!

I'm on the west coast for work and need to watch the show on the app. Does anyone know what time they put the episode up?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

I meant to answer this question LOL

They put it up no later than midnight on the WC usually by 11pm

5 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

I haven't felt the need to try and stay up and watch it immediately for a while now, but it seems to vary. I'm in the Midwest and there have been times it's been up at midnight and others it still wasn't up until well after 2 a.m. 

Thought I'd start the ball rolling by wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow.  Hope you all get to spend the day with people you love.  Multiple people in my family are sick with the flu, so we've actually bumped our celebration to Sunday in hopes that most everyone will feel better by then.  It's that time of the year, unfortunately.

• Love 2

Thank you, @MysteryGuest, and I would like to return the warm wishes for a happy and hopefully healthier Thanksgiving! It's our first year without my older brother so it's been a bit difficult for us but at least we are currently healthy. 

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else tomorrow and I hope everyone has a great day with all your friends and family, as well as anyone else that you love!

• Love 2