Type keyword(s) to search

Blood, Sweat & Heels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Melyssa is an idiot. I've suspected it, but now I believe it. I wish I'd known that being Hispanic precluded someone from being racist. I would've told the asshole cop who happened to be Hispanic who pulled me over for driving while black a block away from my own damned house. Thinking about that incident still makes my blood boil.

Mica singing Geneva's arresses fact sheet was hilarious.

Her not knowing or being able to figure out how much her commission would be was not a good look.

I was tearing up when Daisy was telling her staff about her cancer. It speaks well of her that her staff was so moved. And I was remembering all the paperwork my grandparents got in the mail when they were battling cancer, even though they had good health insurance. (Also, I nodded at "Thank God for Obamacare." I was laid off a few weeks ago, and Cobra would have been insanely, out of reach expensive. The plan I got through the ACA is a third of what Cobra would have been. When Daisy asked what people do who don't have insurance, I thought "They file for bankruptcy.") 

Chantelle doing the "skanky leg" had me cracking up.

The entire fact sheet scene was gold. "Get that DAT thrown out!" 

"You were wrongfully arrested?"

" ... No." Ha!

• Love 6

I see 2 sets of eyes looking at Geneva's situation:

The non-American eyes (Chantelle, Arzo, Melyssa)

The American eyes (Daisy, Demetria, Mica)

The non American eyes don't believe Geneva's problem with the taxi man is because of racism or that there is a racism problem because where they come from, there is no racism.  We know that's not true but IMO all 3 believe there's no racism problem in their native countries simply because they really didn't live in their native countries long enough to know what's up.  They've been here in America.

The American eyes know the taxi drivers can be racist and how racism goes down in the US; but they don't believe Geneva's situation with the taxi man/NYPD was 100% racial because they know Geneva has a bad temper and a slick mouth.

IMO Geneva is just trying to jump on the #BlackLivesMatter bandwagon to justify her bad behavior. 

• Love 5

Her not knowing or being able to figure out how much her commission would be was not a good look.

What the hell was that!? Even if she couldn't come up with the exact figure, she could've said, "Oh I'll get xx%." I see why she's always broke. I think she has gone through life doing everything half assed and relying on her looks to get by. And now she's 40 years old and the video thing has dried up so whats the alternative? Complaining to Michael Eric Dyson in a bar? Melyssa will be Sonja Morgan in 10 years. Floating through life in a dilapidated home with her teeth falling out, reminiscing on how hot she was in her day and throwing money at half baked get rich quick schemes.

• Love 5

I can't do basic math on the spot, either. It's embarrassing. But I'd cover that up by just saying something like "a lot" or "a little less than Fredrik", instead of letting the Jeopardy theme music play while I tried to do percentage splits in my head, on national TV.

• Love 3

Ugh. I'm so mad I missed the last half hour of this episode. I was interested in seeing the women's reactions to Geneva's fact sheet. I did see her meeting with the dude who was dressed like she had just called him in from the Hamptons (peach suit, mayne?!), and I couldn't understand her saying that she'd prefer this entire litigation issue for a year over $18.

I absolutely loved the eye roll that Demetria gave when she walked over to hear Arzo talking about the Afghan hound insult to Melyssa. Sorry not sorry, but you get no sympathy from me when in one breath you're like, "Nope. Geneva's issue wasn't race-related" (which, if you feel that way, fine) only to turn around and say that the insult lobbed at you was "racist." Girl, bye. And take Hakeem Lyon with you. 

Lastly, oh, Melyssa. Melyssa, Melyssa, Melyssa. Her absolute certainty that someone being Hispanic (Latino) automatically precludes them from being racist tells me that she needs to open some books. I'm rooting for you, girl! Come on, now. 

• Love 4

Geneva is just too much. The lowered eyelids and constant head nodding in an attempt to look believable or wronged doesn't work for me. Geneva has a big mouth and she escalates situations that shouldn't be escalated. Why does she feel the need to keep a lawyer on speed dial? Is she sue happy or always at risk of her mouth getting her in trouble? Also, Geneva thinks she's way more important than she is. That fact sheet was ridiculous.

Demetria was the voice of reason at Melyssa's brunch. Both Arzo and Chantelle needed to shut the fuck up. Or as Demetria put it, "simmer down". I don't even like Demetria, but she was right. It was a juvenile argument.

I laughed when Mica and Chantelle were walking to the brunch and Mica looked at the tree and said, "What's that bird?", Chantelle gave Mica a side-eye that tickled the hell out of me.

Daisy and her assistants were heartbreaking. I appreciate Daisy's cancer journey a lot more than the woman on RHONJ with "The Cancer".

• Love 2

While I doubt the veracity of Geneva's story, I have to agree with everyone that was surprised at Melyssa implying that a cop with a Latin-sounding last name couldn't be racist. I can't even wrap my head around that logic. 

• Love 2

Oh Daisy :(  WHY doesn't she have someone w her at the radiation tx? Especially the first one? That IS a lot of info :(  This is the realest reality show shit I have even seen. Girl. I may have to send her flowers.

• Love 10

Unless Melyssa listed AND sold the property, she wouldn't be getting 6%.  She'd be getting 3% and splitting that with her broker.  That's probably what she was trying to figure out.

And usually with very high end real estate, the commission is not 6% . It's starts at 3%, which she would have to split with the listing agent and then her broker. She's pretty but she ain't too smart. 

Edited by bichonblitz

Unless Melyssa listed AND sold the property, she wouldn't be getting 6%. She'd be getting 3% and splitting that with her broker. That's probably what she was trying to figure out.

See how succinctly you did that? That's the type of answer I was expecting from her. True confession, I'm very slow when it comes to calculations. I'm one of those people where my eyes roll back in my head like Storm and then I start counting on my fingers and carrying the one in my head. Pathetic, I know. But when it comes to my paycheck, my livelihood? I'm on top of that because I have to be. I wouldn't want my card declined on national television over a $10 drink.

I think Melyssa took so long to answer because she honestly didn't even know what percentage she was entitled to, not to mention I think that whole scene with the realtor was fake anyway. But even if she were selling the house, I think she'd rely on someone else to tell her how much she was getting rather than figuring it out for herself.

^^ This makes me incredibly sad for her.  I'm notoriously awful at anything mathematics, except, weirdly, percentages.   Because there's just no excuse not to know what 10% of something is, right?  so once you know what 10 is, you know what 1 is - and yeah, sometimes it's gotta be broken down this far.  Anyhoo, if she could figure out what ONE damn percent of 27.5 million is and still couldn't multiply that by 3 to an approximation in less than 20 seconds, yeah that's a problem.  I mean shit I won't be on Jeopardy anytime soon, but it's your livelihood, get there faster.

• Love 4

Melyssa knows what percentage she'd be getting and it's probably little over half the commission.  So the commission on a 2.75 mill property is around $82,500 and she'd get a little more than half, being a new agent: roughly $45,000.

That's IF the total commission was 6% and her side got 3%.  If the total commission was 3%, her side would get 1.5% which is $41K.  If her commission split is 60%, then she'd get around $25K.

Not bad, except she needs to put away at least a 3rd to pay taxes with and then pay her realtor bills.  And put some aside for the hard times when she's not selling $2million properties.

Her business manager didn't seem all that impressed with her show.

Oh Daisy :(  WHY doesn't she have someone w her at the radiation tx? Especially the first one? That IS a lot of info :(  This is the realest reality show shit I have even seen. Girl. I may have to send her flowers.

I may be off my game right now, but this whole show feels a bit real-er than the average reality show.  I was impressed with how the Daisy-has-cancer reveal happened at the table.  A little acknowledgment semi-privately, then carrying on with the stupid drama (that still had a fair amount of weight, since they were discussing race/ethnicity).  I dunno, that felt weirdly...respectful of her.  

• Love 3

I may be off my game right now, but this whole show feels a bit real-er than the average reality show.  I was impressed with how the Daisy-has-cancer reveal happened at the table.  A little acknowledgment semi-privately, then carrying on with the stupid drama (that still had a fair amount of weight, since they were discussing race/ethnicity).  I dunno, that felt weirdly...respectful of her.  

Cosign. Another way in which the show is much more real and relatable is in where these women live. It's refreshing to see the cast in studio or one bedroom apartments instead of the lavish homes that the RHoNYC ladies live in. I've never lived in the city (I'm a Long Island boy, myself), but suffice it to say that many of my friends are currently residing in apartments in NYC that are the size of broom closets. They're also paying out the wazoo for them.

• Love 1

I can't do basic math on the spot, either. It's embarrassing. But I'd cover that up by just saying something like "a lot" or "a little less than Fredrik", instead of letting the Jeopardy theme music play while I tried to do percentage splits in my head, on national TV.

Melyssa should have done the math on a piece of paper as she was talking with the other broker.  She is the reason why calculators exists.  If she cannot be bothered at how much money she will earn on a deal, how in the world can she advocate for her clients as a real estate broker?  Math is an important part of that job.  I cannot imagine her interacting in a serious conversation about comps and resale value.

Mica's wig reminds of an episode of Good Times featuring Gary Coleman.  Gary did not want a new bus driver because he liked Mrs. Evans better.  So, he decided to snatch the new bus driver's wig:

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 1

As a small business owner I bought my own health insurance for decades, and the premiums were my second highest monthly expense, after a mortgage payment (in an expensive city). Daisy is correct that the Affordable Care Act made premiums more affordable for many people like us. Thank goodness she was smart enough to invest in a policy.

Geneva is completely deluded that she's fooling anyone, any time. She doesn't have a genuine or honest bone in her body. It's embarrassing.

Melyssa is also embarrassing. I was shocked that she couldn't talk about her commission, because that's so fundamental to her business. And she's still joking and squirming while talking to her financial advisor - not a mature look. Same deal with the public bikini photos. I don't have much faith in her ability to support herself. Oh, and she called herself a broker again - she did this in season one. Is she a broker?

Why is Mica wearing that unattractive short dark wig?

• Love 2

Mica is hilarious in her interviews (singing Geneva's fact sheet = classic!), but damn she'd be exhausting in person.  When she was on the phone with Daisy and kept interrupting her - I slipped on my wig!  Here, talk to my chinchilla!  I fell off my stripper pole!  

• Love 1

Mica often channels her inner Carole Lombard (beautiful comedic actress from the 1930s). In fact, more than the other women, I can see Mica in an entertainment career. She's extremely comfortable with the camera and always "on." But she'd have to stay away from Demon Liquor.

• Love 4

Mica is hilarious in her interviews (singing Geneva's fact sheet = classic!), but damn she'd be exhausting in person.

I agree. I think she's a good friend - her showing up for Daisy's chemo was lovely - but she does seem like a whole lot. I don't know if this is her "real" persona or just the one she puts on for the show, but if it's real, it's the kind I could only handle in small doses.

Did anyone notice during the season's previews, there was a very quick shot of a woman wearing a pageant sash? I'm not sure if it was Miss America or Miss USA. But didn't Aviva's gross father, George (RHoNY) claim he slept with Miss USA?

Why yes, here is a link. Scroll down.

To be fair to Mario, that article states that he and Chantelle were seen together after he had split from Ramona. Unless there are other reports (which there totally could be, I don't know) of Chantelle and Mario together prior to his and Ramona's separation, it doesn't seem fair to label her as some mistress. 

• Love 1

What the hell was that!? Even if she couldn't come up with the exact figure, she could've said, "Oh I'll get xx%." I see why she's always broke. I think she has gone through life doing everything half assed and relying on her looks to get by. And now she's 40 years old and the video thing has dried up so whats the alternative? Complaining to Michael Eric Dyson in a bar? Melyssa will be Sonja Morgan in 10 years. Floating through life in a dilapidated home with her teeth falling out, reminiscing on how hot she was in her day and throwing money at half baked get rich quick schemes.

Melyssa reminds me of Brandi from RHOBH.  She has gotten by on her looks all her life, and now that she's getting older, and she's no longer a vixen, she has to rely on her brain and it's not working.  

Last season I didn't like Daisy but I love how she is handling herself this season.  I felt for her when she was looking at her medical bills.  See THAT is what "Obamacare" is about folks.  I wanted to come to Daisy's apartment and sort through all of those bills and insurance paperwork, because that's a pain in the ass.

I like Mica better with shorter hair.

What Geneva was saying was true.  Police officers today no longer resolve conflicts, they think they're in Iraq and treat citizens like enemy combatants too many times.  However, I keep wondering if Geneva paid the cab driver at all.  The thing is to pay the driver and then take it up with the TLC.

• Love 2

To be fair to Mario, that article states that he and Chantelle were seen together after he had split from Ramona. Unless there are other reports (which there totally could be, I don't know) of Chantelle and Mario together prior to his and Ramona's separation, it doesn't seem fair to label her as some mistress. 

Mario was caught cheating with a much younger broke down blonde version of Ramona.  Mario lied and told Ramona the relationship was over so she took him back. Until she caught him again with the same blonde and dumped him for good. So yea, Chantelle was not the mistress. She was after the fact.  

Melyssa is just too dumb for words.  She can't see racism, huh?  Someone should tell her that racism is the reason Kim Kardashian is a millionaire, married with a child, while she, Melyssa is single and selling real estate in NYC.  The sad truth is that white and white-ish women can sleep with whomever they please and men will still want to "wife them up."  Black and black-ish women can't do that, we're called "THOT" and shit like that.  Today, black men marry who they please and it's all good, but black women get blasted for doing the same thing.  

Many of those women on RHONYC have their beautiful homes because they married well.  I'm not calling them golddiggers, many of them made their own money; but they didn't marry men who dragged them down financially.  

Just my two cents.

• Love 7

Geneva is just too much. The lowered eyelids and constant head nodding in an attempt to look believable or wronged doesn't work for me. Geneva has a big mouth and she escalates situations that shouldn't be escalated. Why does she feel the need to keep a lawyer on speed dial? Is she sue happy or always at risk of her mouth getting her in trouble? Also, Geneva thinks she's way more important than she is. That fact sheet was ridiculous.

I agree. Geneva used Legal Aid (nothing wrong with that) to defend the charges resulting from her October 21, 2014 arrest. Why does she act like she has an arsenal of attorney's at her beck & call? From the NYS Court website:

CASE INFORMATION

Court New York Criminal Court

Case # 2014NY080495

Defendant Thomas, Geneva

Defendant

Name:Thomas, Geneva

Birth Year:1983

NYSID:12813925M

Back to Index

Incident and Arrest

Incident

Date:October 21, 2014 21:15

CJTN:66863294P

Arrest

Date & Time:October 21, 2014 21:42

Arrest #:M14692371

Officer

No Officer Information on File

Attorney Information

Defense Attorney

Name:

Type:Legal Aid

Court Date:October 22, 2014
Court Part:APAR3A

Address:49 Thomas Street, New York, NY 10013

Phone:212-732-5000

Assistant District Attorney

Name:

Assigned:January 26, 2015

Back to Index

Next Appearance

Date:June 18, 2015

Court:New York Criminal Court

Part:ASC

Back to Index

Docket Sentence

Description:Conditional Discharge 1 Years 

Community Service 10 Days 

CVA Fee Imposed $25

DNA Fee Imposed $50

Final Order of Protection 1 Years 

Surcharge Imposed $175

Back to Index

• Love 1

Wow - legal aid. I assume that tells us a lot about Geneva's financial situation. There are reasons other than financial that qualify someone for a public defender, but I wonder if Geneva claimed she could not afford representation.

• Love 3

I really adored seeing Mica and her grandmother together. I lost my own grandmother last summer and, although she was in her mid-80s and had lived a nice long life, it was still hard to let her go. Watching Mica and her grandmother dancing and getting on together was just so sweet and so real. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I really adored seeing Mica and her grandmother together. I lost my own grandmother last summer and, although she was in her mid-80s and had lived a nice long life, it was still hard to let her go. Watching Mica and her grandmother dancing and getting on together was just so sweet and so real.

Loved this too! Her grandma is so sweet! I lost my grandma when I was 10 and still remember fondly the time we spent together. Best part of this ep.

Granny quite stylish too!

Edited by Llama
  • Love 2

Geneva's pop culture 'jawbreaker' idea is actually pretty good. It's too bad she's so darned unlikeable. I'm not interested in Geneva's perspective on anything.

Arzo's voice. Yikes. It's rrrrrrreally annoying.

Demetria's wedding venue is beautiful.

Mmm, Mica is dealing with a lot of loss. Poor girl.

• Love 3

Oh, so Mica's grandmother had a basketball scholarship to Shaw University, a Black Baptist college in NC but did not have the support to go.  The church I grew up in was very connected to Shaw.  I thank Mica for introducing Grandma to us.

• Love 3

Why so much Arzo? Her family dynamic is interesting but I care nothing else about her. That valley girl voice, ughhhh

So boring. She's not a good addition to the show at all, IMO.

Chantelle looking at Geneva like she was bored and Geneva was crazy when Geneva was ranting about sex cracked me up. There's something about Geneva that I just really don't like. I think the fact that she assaulted someone with a bottle taints everything she does. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Arzo, sweetie. I really don't care if your family "who are just like black folk" *eye roll* are accepting of your adolescent boyfriend or not. I'm really not interested in her storyline at all.

After watching this cheesy lifetime movie starring Jennifer Beals, I never realized how much she and Mica kind of favor each other. Especially in those awkward years.
blood-sweat-and-heels-season-1-photo-dia

young.jpg

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 1

I know Chantelle has built up a lot of ill will over the last few episodes.  But I was really endeared when she showed up to tidy up for Daisy.

I have no bad feelings about Chentelle, really. I thought her spat with Arzo made them both look silly, but she's since calmed down. After seeing her brother/SIL on the show, and learning that Chentelle clawed her way to success with hard work and a put-on posh accent, I appreciate her a little more. And offering her housekeeping services to Daisy was very sweet and decent.

• Love 4

Arzo, sweetie. I really don't care if your family "who are just like black folk" *eye roll* are accepting of your adolescent boyfriend or not. I'm really not interested in her storyline at all.

Yesterday (I refuse to use that alternate spelling), must either really love Arzo, or he's sticking it out with her since she's the one with the steady income.  I couldn't imagine being with someone for over a year, meanwhile, their family knows nothing about me.  I don't think the cultural aspect is the real reason, to be honest, I think she's embarrassed.  It's fine to mess around in New York when her family is thousands of miles away and she doesn't have to hear or see their disapproval, but once she's home, that's a different story.  Yesterday should be insulted.

• Love 3

Yesterday (I refuse to use that alternate spelling), must either really love Arzo, or he's sticking it out with her since she's the one with the steady income.  I couldn't imagine being with someone for over a year, meanwhile, their family knows nothing about me.  I don't think the cultural aspect is the real reason, to be honest, I think she's embarrassed.  It's fine to mess around in New York when her family is thousands of miles away and she doesn't have to hear or see their disapproval, but once she's home, that's a different story.  Yesterday should be insulted.

I think she's embarrassed too. The way she said it didn't make sense for them to get married until his career takes off gave me pause. First of all, if what I've heard is any indication, she's going to be waiting a long-ass time for him to make it big. Second, it's not like people don't get married when they're still getting themselves together. I think she's afraid that her parents will judge her for being serious with a struggling musician.

• Love 3

I believe the statement that started this was not about priviledge, it was something like Mica reminded the poster of light-skinned girls in high school who thought they were cute or better or something.

This was the original comment, which somehow became about privilege. Which is its own thing, but not what the discussion was about..

I've never taken a cab in NYC (whenever I've visited, I've just taken the train), but I know the reputation precedes them when it comes to, say, routinely passing up Black customers. That said, Geneva giving her explanation and saying that it wasn't like she's some hood chick... :/

Even if she were from the hood and currently lived in the hood, the treatment she says she received from the cab driver would still be unacceptable.

Our eyebrows (the daughter's and mine) shot right the hell up, and then off of our foreheads. Like, do you even hear yourself? He didn't know he was dealing with someone with three degrees, he thought you were some random hood chick? Random hood chick would have known to at least pay the part of the fare she thought was due. Even without three degrees.

I got that the fare came to $25; she expected $10-15. But what I didn't get was what happened between "Pardon, sir, might we take another route?" and #blacklivesmatter. That's the area that proves Racist? Or Geneva?

But we're not talking about the world in general, we're talking about one cast member, Mica, who has been accused of thinking she's better than the rest of the cast because of her skin color when we haven't been shown any evidence of that being the case. We all know that white/light skin privilege exists and it's real and we know that Mica (and Brie & Melyssa & Demetria & Arzo) have benefitted from it.  I'm quite sure most of those ladies would agree.  I think that's why Mica is extra & over the top and self deprecates because she knows she does benefit from looking ambigous/having light skinned privilege.

However, we haven't seen one shred of evidence of Mica thinking she's better than anyone else because of her complexion, so yes that accusation says more about the person making the accusation than it does about Mica.

Nail head, meet hammer.

I didn't realize an Afghan hound is an actually a breed of dog, so that comment came across as a slur to me as well.  Especially based on the conversation we were shown, that comment came way out of left field.

One the one hand, she really does look like an Afghan hound. On the other, I totally believe Chantelle meant the Afghan part to reference her ethnicity as well, and was trying to be a little slick. On the third hand, they BOTH look like damned Afghan hounds.

All of Geneva's posturing about the arrest just loses alllll of its cred in light of her cracking bottles over people's heads.

Girl, you know Geneva messes everything up. She thought she was "popping bottles."

I'd like to thank all involved for the following (don't understand why it lets me hit quote, then tells me I've quoted too much!):

• All Geneva's arrestes (from the Geneva dictionary for hardworking journalists), sure are piling up.  Interesting that she pleaded guilty to knocking Melyssa upside her head after attempting to sue Melyssa for stating that she knocked her upside her head.

• I can't think of one adult who'd be impressed by having shaggery taking place in the same room where you make your eggs.

• I'm rooting for Melyssa to get out more.  Her date reminded me of a tertiary New Jack City character.  

• Dour Demetria: That girl seems utterly humorless. She's also one chromosome away from looking like Tanisha from Bad Girls Club. That is all.

• AND!! How bout I ain't even mention the center pull out curl, I let you have that one for free.   That's my boo for life.  He just can't use my pillowcases.

• Geneva seems like the type I knew in college who would pull out a hair to put in her half eaten meal to avoid paying for it.  My opinion.  She probably pulled some stunts with other cab drivers but this time messed with "not the one". Again, my opinion

• I agree that Geneva's default setting is not "courteous",

• You can look at his face and tell Eldra was not feeling the make up or the center forehead curl. His face is saying, "I'm only doing this to buy mama a house.

*gone*

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the Geneva Thomas School for Naturally Bulimic Girls.

• Love 10

I got that the fare came to $25; she expected $10-15. But what I didn't get was what happened between "Pardon, sir, might we take another route?" and #blacklivesmatter. That's the area that proves Racist? Or Geneva?

Hahahaha! Exactly. There's a whole lot of missing data between the first time the police intervened, and the second time, when she ends up in the back of a squad car.

• Love 4