Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Them

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Norman was on the Tonight Show a couple of nights ago and he and his Carol Brady hair did not look much better than when he's on the show....

All these comments about Daryl's hair reminds me of a funny comment from someone else who had bad hair...

Lost.....Sawyer in the cage looking all bedraggled when one of his captives comes up to him...

Sawyer:  Could I get a blowdry and an ottoman please?  

Wouldn't it have been great to see Sawyer in this world?

• Love 5
Why even say "Tyrese was pissed, and he was stupid, and now you are?"  Why not just say "You're pissed, and it's making you do stupid things"?  Why bring her just-dead brother into it at all?

Actually, Michonne didn't say Tyreese was stupid.  She said his anger made him stupid.

Sasha:  We can take 'em.

Michonne:  Your brother was pissed too, after what he lost.  It made him stupid.

I imagine Michonne brought Tyreese into the conversation because it was a concrete example of what happens in the ZA when you don't have control of your anger and grief.  That's much more effective than just speculating that Sasha's anger might make her act stupidly.  It's the example that Sasha is most likely to relate to and really, the most likely to jar her out of her anger-place.  Michonne doesn't have time to conduct a therapy session with Sasha, or gently coax her into seeing the error of her ways.

Just rewatched this scene, and I have to say, I really liked this moment for both the actors and the dialog.  A huge amount of information and emotion was conveyed in just a very short, few sentences and facial expressions.  TWD does have a tendency to maunder on about some of their emotional and philosophical conflicts (see: Season 2, entire).  However, this one minute of show was jam-packed.

Sasha didn't put them at risk until after Michonne said those things to her, right?  I mean, she said she could take the walkers behind them, but she didn't.  She didn't run off and try to take them all on and bring the herd down on them.  That's where I keep getting confused, because I keep seeing comments that basically say "well, Sasha nearly got them killed at the bridge, so of course Michonne was angry and said those things to her!" but the effect is before the cause there.   Or was there a second conversation with Sasha and Michonne (beyond Michonne's "STOP" at the bridge)?

Yes, this is right, Michonne was reacting to Sasha's comment that the group could take the Walker Wake building up behind them, before she endangered the whole group at the bridge.

• Love 3

Sheesh, was Daryl burning himself in order to feel his sadness over Beth or was he doing that because he (LIKE EVERYONE ELSE) is so fucking numb he's desperate for something, ANYTHING to break through the fog.

Yes. Seemed to me he needed the physical stimulation to induce the tears that once shed make you feel better. I didn't see it being about Beth in particular or about having been an abused child or being some deeply psychological thing where he's a self-mutalator or cutter or whatnot... I saw it as he simply needed something physical to trigger a release of everything pent up inside of him. Carol told him she can keep things bottled up inside but he can't, he needs to let things out. I don't really understand why she thinks that but yeah, IMO Daryl's burning himself wasn't anything more complicated then him just needing a trigger for release.

When he cried or Maggie cried or FPP cried or Sasha cried yes it was about some discrete individual but also godamn they were all breaking down because they are living in a horrific world of unrelenting pain and stink.

Yes again. This episode directly followed Beth's death and then Tyrese's, so sure they were all mourning another specific loss but at this point they are all so broken and bone-weary over the bleakness and extreme hardships and daily struggle - both mental and physical - involved in just going on living that tears shed aren't just about one specific person or event anymore, they are a cumulation of everything. 

I think the dogs was a nice touch since we've never seen our group being threatened by any wildlife, like bears or coyotes. The former pet dogs seeing people as a food supply and ending up being eaten by those people really hammered home that life has come down to its age-old and most basic "Survival of the fittest."

Yep. "Man's Best Friend" is no longer man's best friend. Its pack against pack now, whether human or animal. I think picking this episode to finally show us a roaming pack of dogs was genius. It was extremely effective at showing that this is no longer the world as we knew it. It's a dog eat dog world now where you sleep with one eye open, trust noone, and make the best of what you are given. Thus dog for dinner. 

That said I have never really understood why zombie's are more of a threat than any other dangerous wild animal humans have successfully kept at bay. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, wolves, dogs, lions, tigers, wild boar, you name it ... plenty of animals smarter then zombies that would tear us to shreds in a second given the chance but we have so far managed to co-exist with them without civilization ending. So not sure why we can't outsmart brainless corpses and continue on with our Starbucks & Netflix ways. I try not to think about it too much though or it might would ruin the show for me.  

Also, they are always worried about the noise of gunshots attracting Walkers so Sasha opening fire on the dogs was weird to me. She really was being stupid in her anger/grief I guess. And now I am thinking, maybe it was that gunfire that attracted the Walkers that finally caught up to them at the barn?

I didn't understand why Rick suddenly changed their plan of attack re: the walkers on the ridge. So Sasha stabbed one of them...so what? It's not like the other walkers would have been all "you killed Doug! You bitch! Attack all at once, guys!" Why couldn't our group have continued with their plan of 'lure and evade'?

Thankyou! I didn't get that either.  I try not to pick the show apart because I don't want to lessen my enjoyment of it by purposely looking for "plot holes" or whatever but this, yeah, it bugged the heck out of me. :(

As for the episode in general, I loved it. Might be Best in Show for me so far, especially appreciated after last week's episode which was the worst ever in my book. I so needed a "breather" episode, as dark as it was. Needed to see the effects on everyone of everything they have been though, Needed to finally get a glimpse into just the day-to-day struggles of living in this new world, without any big bad boogieman plot. Just our gang - and the whole gang together -  weary and broken and dirty and starving and thirsty and dejected and just trying to cope and adjust. 

And kudos to Carol for finally doing what thousands of us have wanted to do for ages - brush that dam hair out of Daryl's face!

Edited by RainOnToosdays
  • Love 5

Why even say "Tyrese was pissed, and he was stupid, and now you are?"  Why not just say "You're pissed, and it's making you do stupid things"? 

Exhaustion? Dehydration? Frustration that you've been put back on the road with a weapon you were sort of happy to lose? The "anger" phase of grief, when you're pissed at someone for dying?

Why do we expect characters to act rationally? I'd wager most of us have accidentally pissed someone off on days when we didn't sleep well or have a headache or drank too much (or not enough) coffee. Under this level of stress, tact might be a little thin on the ground.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 4

That said I have never really understood why zombie's are more of a threat than any other dangerous wild animal humans have successfully kept at bay. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, wolves, dogs, lions, tigers, wild boar, you name it ... plenty of animals smarter then zombies that would tear us to shreds in a second given the chance but we have so far managed to co-exist with them without civilization ending. So not sure why we can't outsmart brainless corpses and continue on with our Starbucks & Netflix ways. I try not to think about it too much though or it might would ruin the show for me.  

Bears etc, can't live forever without sleep, don't live underwater, don't live after being charred by fire, aren't immune to pain or blood loss or being poisoned, or immune to dying from lack of oxygen or water,  or keep biting forever after their head is cut off.

Bears etc. don't outnumber us 99 to 1.

Bears etc. don't make us turn into bears etc. when they kill us.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 5

This.

I get that people are close to their pets, but it's a survival show about the zombie apocalypse ffs. Our peeps are starving.

I feel like the outrage over the dogs was worse than the cannibalism lol

If that were me and I had to feed myself and my kid, pass me a piece of Lassie.

I haven't seen any outrage over the dogs, to be honest.

Exhaustion? Dehydration? Frustration that you've been put back on the road with a weapon you were sort of happy to lose? The "anger" phase of grief, when you're pissed at someone for dying?

Why do we expect characters to act rationally? I'd wager most of us have accidentally pissed someone off on days when we didn't sleep well or have a headache or drank too much (or not enough) coffee. Under this level of stress, tact might be a little thin on the ground.

And that's what I said a ways up. It came off as a mistake on Michonne's part due to exhaustion and all they'd been through. I was more questioning why so many people didn't see it as a mistake but were all " you tell her!" I do like when the characters aren't perfect. I think they'd all be snapping and saying cruel things to each other. Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 3

BrokenRemote there were some people bothered by it if you go back in the thread.

I just thought it was a little unrealistic of a reaction in the context of trying to survive in those conditions.

I guess it's tough though when you're sitting on the couch watching, while scratching behind your beloved dogs ears lol.

Edited by Sofie Fatale

Tyreese was a big, dumb, coward, who committed the ultimate sin of telling Martin Judith's name, and came up with the rescue plan that ended in everyone living, besides the martyred (suicidal) Beth.  For this, he will forever be the "stupid" one.

Pretty much! :P

tell me who didn't "awwww" when Maggie awoke to see Judith gurgling in sleeping Rick's arms.

Oh God!!!  Lauren deserves an Oscar for staying in character for that.  How could you not smile and grab Little Miss Wakey Wiggly?  Of course how could you wake up next to a sleeping Rick and not smile and grab him either?

Speaking of feral dogs, the CGI'd vampire fangs were very badly done. Unless the dogs lifted their lips, which they didn't, the fangs would not be visible. Someone needs to have a talk with whoever is doing the CGI, because it's starting to venture into cartoon territory.

'

I couldn't tell if that was CGI or the trained, stunt dog actor version of baring teeth.  Either way it's cute to me.   I couldn't have stopped myself from laughing in that scene.  Of course I'm someone who, in werewolf movies, shouts out "Look at da puppy!"  I love dogs.  But yeah, I'd eat em before I starved to death.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 6

I didn't understand why Rick suddenly changed their plan of attack re: the walkers on the ridge. So Sasha stabbed one of them...so what? It's not like the other walkers would have been all "you killed Doug! You bitch! Attack all at once, guys!" Why couldn't our group have continued with their plan of 'lure and evade'?

The way I understood it, they had to scrap the plan because otherwise Sasha would have been alone, with her sides and back completely uncovered, and on top of it blinded by rage and exhaustion while going into a herd. Flimsy explanation, maybe, but it's the only one I can come up with.

• Love 4

Here are the Nielsen ratings for Season 5, to date:

10-12-14 “No Sanctuary” 17.3 million
10-19-14 “Strangers” 15.143 million
10-26-14 “Four Walls and a Roof” 13.801 million
11-02-14 “Slabtown” 14.518 million
11-09-14 “Self Help” 13.534 million
11-16-14 “Consumed” 14.068 million
11-23-14 “Crossed” 13.329 million
11-30-14 “Coda” 14.807 million
02-08-15 “What Happened and What’s Going On” 15.643 million
02-15-15 “Them” 12.3 million

Looks like the SNL 40th anniversary special siphoned off a herd of viewers...

• Love 1

I thought Michonne's comment about Tyreese being 'stupid' was solely regarding what happened at Noah's house; nothing else. I mean, the dude went into a house in which he KNEW there was at least ONE walker, and he wanders into a bedroom and starts looking at photos instead of clearing the fucking house first. I don't care if Tyreese never did a damned thing wrong before that moment...in that moment, he was dumb and it cost him his life.

Poor Maggie couldn't even sit and have a decent cry without one of them interrupting her.

It totally reminded me of when we got a flashback to Carol post-exile, where she was crying in the car and a walker came up and started knocking at her window. She lost her shit and screamed at it to leave her alone. Heh.

Also, they are always worried about the noise of gunshots attracting Walkers so Sasha opening fire on the dogs was weird to me. She really was being stupid in her anger/grief I guess. And now I am thinking, maybe it was that gunfire that attracted the Walkers that finally caught up to them at the barn?

Unless I'm misremembering, she used the silencer to kill them. At the time, I couldn't decide if that was a good idea or a bad one. On the one hand, it seems wasteful to use your silencer on the dogs, but on the other hand, getting into hand-to-paw combat with a feral dog is probably more dangerous than with a walker...

And kudos to Carol for finally doing what thousands of us have wanted to do for ages - brush that dam hair out of Daryl's face!

Not good enough! She needed to take her knife to it, IMO. The longer his hair gets, the weaker he gets; she'd be doing him a favour by shearing it all off. :) And, while I'm on the topic of knives...did I mishear or did she give Daryl "Beth's" knife? Because I'm sure I heard her say that it was "hers" which could only refer to Beth considering the rest of their conversation. And so...uh...when the hell did Beth have her own signature weapon? And why would Daryl get to have it instead of, you know, HER SISTER???

• Love 3

The way I understood it, they had to scrap the plan because otherwise Sasha would have been alone, with her sides and back completely uncovered, and on top of it blinded by rage and exhaustion while going into a herd. Flimsy explanation, maybe, but it's the only one I can come up with.

Those walkers were quite docile, plus Team Grimes made no sudden movements to rile them up. So it was easy to pied piper them out of the way.

Then Sasha breaks formation and stabs one in the head.

Which set off the rest, who begin snarling and attacking.

This pictorial recap had me laughing my fool head off, especially Carol & Daryl's exchange:

http://imgur.com/a/Wu2uu

"Now I have to carry around this box FML" cracked me up because I thought the same thing!  Very nice Carl but yeah, a pain in the ass to carry around.

I did laugh because the dogs were directly addressed on TWD = "Relax people, no dogs were killed (or eaten?) in this show about people eating people".

Why couldn't our group have continued with their plan of 'lure and evade'?

With a group of zombies, in this episode anyway, it seemed like the less physical movement from the live people, the less aggressive the zombies?  They weren't chasing Rick's group on the road, just sort of rambling behind.  If they had caught up they might have got a whiff of living flesh, but they didn't seem urgent on the road.  The group was sort of lackadaisically pushing them; when Sasha started with aggressive movements, the group expected the herd to respond aggressively, triggered by the motion, so they had to be aggressive.  Plus Sasha was then leaving her back/sides unguarded.  Whether that's consistent with previous depictions is another story, but that was what I took out of it.

That said I have never really understood why zombie's are more of a threat than any other dangerous wild animal humans have successfully kept at bay. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, wolves, dogs, lions, tigers, wild boar, you name it ... plenty of animals smarter then zombies that would tear us to shreds in a second given the chance but we have so far managed to co-exist with them without civilization ending.

Civilization HAS ended in the show though because the zombie virus wiped the people out.  There are just not enough living people to rebuild/take care of the infrastructure.  So now you have predators (zombies) basically unchecked because there're not enough living people to control their numbers, clear areas that hide them, etc.  If there are enough people alive who concentrate their resources and talents together, then yeah, the threat could be neutralized.  Plus right now only Rick's group is aware that no matter how you die you become the walking dead, so more are being added all the time.

I sort of assume everyone was on the road in order to keep their vision/backs clear.  Too many opportunities in the woods for someone to trip over something, get lost, get ambushed, mainly because they are exhausted, hungry, etc.  In that condition you're more apt to make mistakes.   I assume that's why they don't move around at night either (plus, bad lighting for show).

So anyway, I really liked the episode; I don't think Maggie's reactions were OOC or non-sensical or whatever, I don't think dead Beth was treated as more specialer then dead Tyreese and I think Michonne was trying to shock Sasha into awareness of her actions.  So there ;)

• Love 5

Normally, the actors are all over twitter when the show is on. Hardly anything was posted this week. I didn't watch the SNL show, but that was all over twitter.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Sasha not only stabbed a walker in the head, she moved forward from the spot where they could toss them down the ravine.  She set up a situation in which, at least on that side of the road, she was between any walkers sidling on by and the other people who could dispose of them.  So the group seemed to move forward to keep her form being overrun.  

I noticed we had more African American walkers this time.  Maybe TPTB are trying to address the racial imbalance for the area in the walker population, since they keep killing of the African American men.  

But there's the difference - it's an animal's smarts that keeps us safe.  Add to that their honed and evolved instincts.  We're protected from most wild animals because they fear us - not true of walkers.  We tamed dogs because we gave dogs what they needed and vice versa - again not the same with walkers.  We can protect life stock against wild animals with trained dogs - again not possible.  Most wild animals are good hunters and have evolved skills that limits the likelihood they will be injured.  Walkers can not be frightened away, we can't depend on a walkers instincts for self-protection to keep them away from humans, and they are not motivated to kill only when hungry and to ensure survival. Walkers are not capable of learning over time that humans are dangerous, and then learning to avoid us.  Lastly, most animals that eat humans (including sharks) have a preferred prey, which is not us.  They will turn to us when prey of choice is missing.  I would imagine that next to cows and horses trapped in stables, we are the preferred food of walkers.

• Love 1

But there's the difference - it's an animal's smarts that keeps us safe.  Add to that their honed and evolved instincts.  We're protected from most wild animals because they fear us - not true of walkers .... Most wild animals are good hunters and have evolved skills that limits the likelihood they will be injured.  Walkers can not be frightened away, we can't depend on a walkers instincts for self-protection to keep them away from humans, and they are not motivated to kill only when hungry and to ensure survival. Walkers are not capable of learning over time that humans are dangerous, and then learning to avoid us..

Ahh, very good points. The bolded one especially. Yeah, OK, the very fact of being brainless is exactly what makes them such a threat. I can go with that. 

• Love 1

last week's episode which was the worst ever in my book.

In my book as well.

Tyreese was a big, dumb, coward, who committed the ultimate sin of telling Martin Judith's name, and came up with the rescue plan that ended in everyone living, besides the martyred (suicidal) Beth.  For this, he will forever be the "stupid" one.

Yep yep. The only thing that gave me even an iota of enjoyment in that episode was in finally getting rid of him and his watery eyes and perma-"eek" expression. I was hoping that while he was alive,  Rick would find out T's stupidity, lying and cowardice nearly got Judith's neck broken, but oh, well, can't have everything.

Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, wolves, dogs, lions, tigers, wild boar, you name it ... plenty of animals smarter then zombies that would tear us to shreds in a second

Most large predators especially cats and wolves, and with the exception of bears, have a deep genetic fear of humans after centuries of slaughter and would have to be very hungry to attack a person. Bears seem to see humans as prey after dark and I"m surprised none of them have raided CDB's camps at night.

I couldn't tell if that was CGI or the trained, stunt dog actor version of baring teeth.

CGI all the way - the whole muzzles in fact. An example of bad AND unnecessary CGI.

zGCBz1m.jpg

• Love 1

Tyreese's bugged out eyes post-Beth singing with the line "WTF is going on?" cracked me up. :D

Bonus; Lori's ghost appearing to ask if anyone knew where Carl was. Fucking priceless.

I die. Loved those. 

Is there is a link to the main page of those things for the future?

• Love 1

All these comments about Daryl's hair reminds me of a funny comment from someone else who had bad hair...

Lost.....Sawyer in the cage looking all bedraggled when one of his captives comes up to him...

Sawyer:  Could I get a blowdry and an ottoman please?  

Wouldn't it have been great to see Sawyer in this world?

I loooooooved me some Sawyer -- and I thought his hair was much, much better than Daryl's (but that was largely due to having access to the ocean on a daily basis, where Sawyer could kind of wash off some of the accumulating gunk).  If Sawyer were around in the ZA, he would have bedded Lori, Andrea, Michonne, Rosita and maybe even Maggie by now.  He and Daryl would have hated each other.  He and Rick probably would have clashed from the start.  He would have hated Dale and Hershel too.  But I digress....

About this latest episode of TWD... This was one of those slow, meandering episodes that I generally get bored with, and yet I know they are necessary.  They can't have non-stop action and terror every minute.  There are going to be some slow moments here and there, where looking for water is the big activity of the day, or just sitting and talking is the highlight of the day. 

I still kind of think they should have stayed at the hospital, but too late for that now.

It was nice to see a big storm for a change!

How much time is supposed to have passed since Rick, Michonne and Carl encountered Joe and his gang?  Joe said it was New Year's Eve (how he would know that, I'm not sure), so where are we in the year?  How many weeks/months have passed since the Joe incident?

It's always interesting when our group meets up with new people in the course of their travels, and to see who ultimately stays with them and who turns out to be a heinous monster of some sort. 

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Not good enough! She needed to take her knife to it, IMO. The longer his hair gets, the weaker he gets; she'd be doing him a favour by shearing it all off. :) And, while I'm on the topic of knives...did I mishear or did she give Daryl "Beth's" knife? Because I'm sure I heard her say that it was "hers" which could only refer to Beth considering the rest of their conversation. And so...uh...when the hell did Beth have her own signature weapon? And why would Daryl get to have it instead of, you know, HER SISTER???

Yeah, it was Beth's knife - though I don't really recall her having a signature weapon. I think most people will now think of her signature weapon as little surgical scissors.

But it should have gone to Maggie.

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 3

{just watched the episode & haven't read through the thread, so apologies if a lot of this is rehash or "no duh!" stuff}

-  Not exactly the true meaning of "dog eat dog" world, but close enough.  I know they were starving to death, practically, but what if those mutts had rabies?  Can that be transmitted through cooked dog meat?  And did they all eat their share, or did some of them save some in a doggy bag??  (too soon, PETA?)

-  Bottled water 'trap'.  Umm, if there was something in it, Eugene licked the water off his face, so if nothing happened - not to mention the water on his face not doing anything to his skin, etc - then it should have been relatively safe.   And also, what was wrong with letting him take a sip to test it.  If something happens, they're all there to protect him... and if it did kill him, no big loss [figuratively, at least] (too bad it didn't, and FPHPR didn't take a drink as well).  I'm guessing 'Aaron' will be a part of the whole "From A Friend" gift bag scenario?

-  Uhh writers, can we please stop with the "losing mind and will to live" almost every single time after somebody loses a loved one?  It lost its appeal and gravitas sometime in S2, and here we are in the back half of s5.  Not saying it isn't a realistic reaction, but when its the same one each time someone dies, it just gets old.  Let's see a new reaction.  Sasha would have been a great choice.  Sure losing a brother sucks all hell, but she could have seen it as being for the best; she knew he wasn't cut out for this 'new world' and the things they had to do was hardest on him, since despite everything, he was still a "gentle soul".

-  God help me, but I am somewhat confused on that whole "walkers storming the barn" (<--- wordsmith!) scenario.  Did that really happen, or did someone (Maggie) dream it?  I thought it was obviously a dream at first, but then Mags and Sasha walked out to the all the 'storm-damaged walker carnage', and I just don't know.  Part of me thinks it was still just a dream, because Sasha made the comment about wondering how the barn didn't blown down with what happened; so to me, that suggests they were unaware of just how much possible danger they were really in.  The reaction wasn't, "oh, so that's what happened after they stopped trying to get in last night".  And an aside, they really walked off and left 'living' walkers out there to possibly get around/out of the carnage and get into the barn??  Or am I supposed to 'hand wave' that they woke some people up to have them take care of the 'mess' while they did their "sunrise service" thing?

-  It was nice to see everyone old enough to not have to wear a diaper get to dine on mutton chops, but what about poor baby Judith?  The way the poor kid gets ignored, she should go on a hunger strike.... oh, wait.  Seriously, other than the brief comments made by Daryl & Rick about her, nothing else was made out of her needing to eat or showing her being fed.  Way to be "Father of the Year", Rick.  "She's ok.".  Yeah, she is; despite (should be) suffering from seriously horrible case of starvation & malnutrition.  Although I guess there might be one upside to a starving baby; less diaper changes needed.

-  Was there really a point to the whole 'Abe's drinking' deal?  His drinking never made him drunk or endangered himself or others, so what real point did it have, other than filling a couple minutes of air time?   If you're going to pointlessly fill time with something, at least make it enjoyable or use it to inject a rare bit of actual humor, Show.

-  The dead frogs.  Something to keep an eye on for later, or just another visual clue that they can't find food for nothing?  (like with Daryl coming across the decayed deer carcass)

And I always knew Daryl was a gummy worms kinda guy.   Seriously dude, go chew on a walker corpse next time, that'd be less disgusting to have to watch then watch you masticate an earth worm.  *throws up in mouth a little bit* 

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
I get that people are close to their pets, but it's a survival show about the zombie apocalypse ffs. Our peeps are starving.

As I type this, I've got a pit bull drooling and snoring on each knee. I love those dogs. However, if it ever came down to either the dogs or my starving children...sorry dogs, you've got to go.

Yeah, it was Beth's knife - though I don't really recall her having a signature weapon. I think most people will now think of her signature weapon as little surgical scissors.

But it should have gone to Maggie.

This pissed me off almost as much as when Dr. Carter kept Mark Greene's stethoscope after he died on ER. Instead of giving it to Mark's wife, who was a surgeon at the same hospital. I get what Carol was trying to do, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. If she had given it to Maggie, who in turn had given it to Daryl, the gesture would have gone down better.

I'm really hoping for a break from character deaths for awhile. Even though I was sad when Tyreese died, no death has really had much of an impact on me since Hershel. Hell, his death only hurt because I really liked the character. Maybe instead of keeping Father Gabriel, Eugene, Rosita, and Tara as mauve shirts, let them live long enough to gain some more dimensions. Or, if a character must be written out, let them leave the group alive. It happened once with the Morales family. Why not again?

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 2

This.

Far be it from me to turn down a nice piece of Lass.

• Love 5
Of course how could you wake up next to a sleeping Rick and not smile and grab him either?

It depends. Relaxed Rick is handsome. Exhausted, sweaty, noxious levels of man-stank, critterbeard Rick? Not so much. Take charge, break a man's back with a police car, they're messing with the wrong people, Ricktatorship Rick? I'd throw him down on the ground and have my way with him in a second.

On a completely unrelated note, I read through that photo recap and fully intend to greet my husband with "Mornin' sugar tits. Fuck naptime." when he gets home from work in the morning.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 4

I'm guessing that Aaron is so obviously wrong that he will probably end up being a good character... if not they really badly telegraphed this one. 

Either that or the combination of his clean appearance with the surreal fallen tree zombie graveyard thing made me think that all the characters died after their barn door stand and he's an angel that's appearing in the last survivor's dying thoughts.

His appearance was so surreal I thought for a moment I was watching a Geico commercial and was waiting for the punchline.

I didn't think the barn scene was a dream, but I didn't know what to think about what I saw. First one person after another braces the door. Each coming silently like in a ballet. It is an epic battle for life, yet the scene cuts and they are just randomly laying around the barn. Sasha and Maggie emerge hours later and see the destruction. My first thought was that EVERYBODY was on LSD because neither the sudden end of the zombie attack nor the tornado registered with anyone.

Funny thing is some of the old timers from SNL looked like the Walking Dead.  :)

• Love 1

And I always knew Daryl was a gummy worms kinda guy.   Seriously dude, go chew on a walker corpse next time, that'd be less disgusting to have to watch then watch you masticate an earth worm.  *throws up in mouth a little bit* 

And you just know that Daryl, being a method actor, probably really ate that worm.  Yuck.

Sasha not only stabbed a walker in the head, she moved forward from the spot where they could toss them down the ravine.  She set up a situation in which, at least on that side of the road, she was between any walkers sidling on by and the other people who could dispose of them.  So the group seemed to move forward to keep her form being overrun.  

I noticed we had more African American walkers this time.  Maybe TPTB are trying to address the racial imbalance for the area in the walker population, since they keep killing of the African American men.  

Yep, a new organization.  NAAWCP,  the National Association for the Advancement Walker Colored People.  I've signed up.

Far be it from me to turn down a nice piece of Lass.

So I guess you wouldn't mind a little tail too.

• Love 2

I wonder how the demographics of viewers breaks down.  I think a large percentage of the extras playing walkers are fans of the show.  I looked into it at one point, and it's quite complicated - including "walker school".  Considering the higher black population here in the Atlanta area, it makes me wonder if the show skews low for black viewership.

• Love 1

diebartdie, my complaint is twofold: 1) the roads look the same as in Georgia (I realize they film there, but still) and 2) if you look at mapquest or google maps on satellite view, from Richmond to DC, especially concentrating on the last 60 miles, you won't see the kind of road they're walking on, and certainly not miles and miles of it. I realize these complaints are on the level of "Who's cutting the grass," but really...if it takes people away from the story, it's at least a little bit of a problem.

There are a whole lot of country roads around D.C. and much closer than 60 miles.

Part of me was 'squeeing' over Rick calling themselves the "Walking Dead".  But then I immediately seen it for what it was;  "Stop 'product placement'-ing, dude, we KNOW what show we're watching!!  Jeez.".

I kept waiting for a crude joke to be made over the canine cuisine;  "Huh.  I just realized, we're kind of doing it doggy-style right now.".

• Love 1

I think the show feels the most poignant moments will be Rick/Car/Judith, and it's true

I think poor Judith is wondering how and why she has a white dad now...

This episode directly followed Beth's death and then Tyrese's

And don't forget, Bob didn't die all that long ago either as well. So you have that too.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

I thought Michonne's comment about Tyreese being 'stupid' was solely regarding what happened at Noah's house; nothing else. I mean, the dude went into a house in which he KNEW there was at least ONE walker, and he wanders into a bedroom and starts looking at photos instead of clearing the fucking house first. I don't care if Tyreese never did a damned thing wrong before that moment...in that moment, he was dumb and it cost him his life.

No one but the audience knows that Tyrese was ambushed while looking at photos, so her stupid comment was out of place.

• Love 4

Yup, it was boring, but the added mysticism was refreshing.  As long as they don't have full episodes of side stories, like Daryl and Beth binge drinking, and they stick  to Rick and main story, I will watch.

Edited by thegreathoo
  • Love 1

About the dogs: 

I was just about to try composing a limerick about them over on the "Merle from Nantucket" thread, when suddenly it hit me: those dogs were way too stupid to still be alive. How many people are there in CDB now, like 15 or so? And four dogs were going to defeat them? Via a heavily telegraphed frontal assault? You'd think by now that they'd have developed some flanking and stealth skills from fighting zombies, but, nope.

These dogs are the canine equivalent of those cinematic thugs who jump out of the bushes six feet away, clicking open a switchblade, at face level, pointing upward, while threatening, say, Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood. These tactics wouldn't even be very effective against normal prey, but, way to read the room, geniuses.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 7

As far as the water being poisoned, I would have suggested there's no good reason for someone else to waste good resources to kill them. Our group is damn near dead anyway. Plus if you could sneak up and leave water you could probably sneak up and shoot them.

Drugs, maybe; someone could make them unconscious for some sinister reason. But that kind of drugging could be tested with less risk than poison. Take a few drops and see if you get groggy. While the other dozen adults are there to defend you.

I was comparing earthworms and parasites and how Daryl already ate a damn owl which is loaded with them/ don't eat birds of prey or carrion eaters...but by now I suppose they all have a nice parasite farm in their guts from bunnies squirrels owls etc. Maybe they should take a swig from Abe's booze/urine bottle.

Anyway, that wasn't such an earthworm...now this, this is an earthworm!

10511262_878579762163036_555286218163265

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 2

That ^ looks like an extra from the set of Dune.  Muad Dib!  Muad Dib!

If Sawyer were on the Walking Dead he'd have amusing nicknames for everyone.

Back on topic.  Dang it, Yahoo!  They have a story about Aaron in big bold letters that contain a spoiler.  Avoid Yahoo if you don't want to know anything.  I think I'll post that in the media thread too for anyone not reading the episode thread.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

I don't really think that the writers cared about the defense of the barn door making sense in the real world.  I took it that it was written for the symbolism of the group having decided, one by one, that they were choosing to live.  No one said a word and they just silently came up to defend the door and each other.  You know, sorta like Daryl's mood ring hair.

• Love 6