Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Them

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

If you've read the comics, be very careful to avoid spoiling those who don't, and keep in mind that some people may have much stricter notions of what a spoiler is. Any substantial comic talk should go in the comics thread; minor discussion is okay here, but be very liberal with the spoiler tags, and don't give away too much outside the tags either.

• Love 1

Ha, I knew that we would encounter the water benefactor. It is not a good sign that the guy knows that Rick's name.

I loved this episode. The pain, exhaustion, and grief from everyone. It reminded me of the farm episodes that I loved so much. Of course, there will be tons of complaints about it.

So the mythical components are the storm taking out the walkers with trees and then the music box starts playing.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 13

Ha, I knew that we would encounter the water benefactor. It is not a good sign that the guy knows that Rick's name.

I loved this episode. The pain, exhaustion, and grief from everyone. It reminded me of the farm episodes that I loved so much. Of course, there will be tons of complaints about it.

So the mythical components are the storm taking out the walkers with trees and then the music box starts playing.

I'm reallllllllly hoping he knows Rick's name because of Morgan.

A girl can hope, right?

• Love 8

This was a quiet episode, but I think it was a necessary one. The moment when everyone shoved against the barn door. They made up their minds to live. The scene with the destroyed trees, that was a bit freakish. That barn should have fallen, but it didn't.  Hip, Hip, Hooray, for Mother Nature.

That friend so cannot be a friend.

I'm trying to ignore them eating the dogs. At least the dogs were trying to eat them first, so I didn't have to feel so badly that they were eating Rin TIn Tin.

I hate quiet episodes, because the feces impacts with the rotating oscillator shortly afterwards.

• Love 8

This show is excruciatingly boring. 

This THIS tHIS THIIIIISSS.

I think this episode was my Walking Dead  I-can't-take-this-anymore episode. It encapsulated everything wrong with this show.

It is possible to have character internal plots AND outside plots that keep the tension. Not only possible, but preferable.  They just spent yet another bloody episode emoting and emoting and talking and talking and brooding. They are in a zombie apocalypse. They are tired and hopeless. This is not brand new information. I learned nothing new yet the whole episode was this crap, plus the sprinkled pretentiousness of the symbolism of the new dawn  and the brooding ones being the first ones that wanted to live.

This show has become like those boring, pretentious Oscar nominated movies that critics rave about but I find utterly sleep inducing. Every week I want to give it a chance, but walk away just as bored and frustrated.

• Love 13

A girl can hope, right?

Oh, that would be fantastic. Much better than the implication that he has been following/spying on the group for who knows how long.

One thing I've noticed in the last two episodes is how the cinematography is drawing me in more than usual. Beautiful camera work.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 6

The moment when everyone shoved against the barn door. They made up their minds to live.

Great point. You are right. I had not thought about the scene that way, but it was about the triumph of hope over despair, especially since it was three people most lost who went to the door first.

• Love 9

A girl can hope, right?

I cannot imagine Morgan sending that would send someone to find Rick. Morgan would go himself. The guy has to be from the governor's group. I cannot think of anyone else who would know Rick's name.

I loved that episode.  Almost everyone hit real despair.  Rick's looking at the world his kids are living in now, and it's ugly.  Maggie is grieving, Sasha is grieving, Daryl's grieving.  Michonne has had enough.  Abraham still hates Eugene.  Everyone is starving and dehydrating and not looking that different from the Walkers stalking them.  There are feral dogs and they're dinner.  Life sucks.  And no-one has any quit in them.  Carol and Glenn can verbalize it, but the others were numbed until the Walkers attacked the barn and everyone got up to defend their own lives and the lives of their group.  I thought it was so moving.  The determination to keep the Walkers out was so intense.  Everyone was there, giving their best effort, most of them finding strength they didn't know they could muster.

The trunk Walker and the woman in the barn were so pathetic I actually felt sorry for zombies for probably the first time ever.  I don't like the look of Aaron at all.  Knowing Rick's name, knowing he was leading the group?  Creepy, unless the information came from Morgan.  I'm going with creepy for now.  Aaron's giving me Terminus vibes.

• Love 16

The woman in the trunk was very sad. I hope that she was already turned when she was put there and not kidnapped and put in the truck while she was alive.

I mean, really, this is THE lowest they've ever been. No shelter. No working vehicle. No food. Barely any water. Some of the moping was a bit much (Daryl, I'm looking at you), but I can't begrudge them for being at the place they're at, struggling to decide whether it's even worth going on at this point. For what? You love someone, you get close to them, you have hope - BOOM! It's all taken from you. They can't focus continually on despair or the show will become too dark. but I liked some of what they showed us tonight - especially that they had to resort to eating wild dog. This is what it's become. 

Last week, I commented that it was amazing that there were not more ulcers, depressions, and suicides given what the group has been through, all the losses that they have suffered. I think the writers were addressing the group's mental health in this episode.  

• Love 9

I honestly thought Eugene offering to atone to the others by volunteering his services as poison taster, crash test dummy, and general purpose  coal mine canary was a good idea. But of course that would make us remember that he was wrong to try to lead people to Washington for no reason. So it can't be allowed.

• Love 10
I liked seeing so many interactions with people we haven't really seen interact much before - Maggie and Carl, Sash and Abraham, etc. LOVED Maggie and Sasha enjoying the sunset together.

This. I was wondering if some of these people had even spoken to each other on-screen before. For example, Michonne and Sasha. I did like to see Maggie and Father Gabriel interact, even if Maggie kept verbally bitch-slapping him.

I called it on Gabriel being so buttoned down as a form of personal atonement! I'm usually so wrong about stuff like this.

• Love 5

It was still less self-awarely pretentious than last week.

The women pulled most of the heavy weight this episode, especially the two who legitimately had reasons to be at their breaking point.  Loved some of the small interaction between them.  Meanwhile, Daryl was catapulting to the top of the list of characters who can be left to be all mopey dopey in the woods now.  The actor looks constipated every time he tries to cry.

10 points to Sasha for pointing out to the day-glo Heat Miser that they're not friends.  I still don't care that much for him but I liked how he shrugged it off and went back to drinking.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 16
I honestly thought Eugene offering to atone to the others by volunteering his services as poison taster, crash test dummy, and general purpose  coal mine canary was a good idea.

Me too! And I don't even dislike Eugene. But they've got a pretty big group right now. All having to share and shit. Losing the biggest dude, who can't really fight, wouldn't have been a HUGE loss. Take one for the team, Mullet.

• Love 10

This was a quiet episode, but I think it was a necessary one. The moment when everyone shoved against the barn door. They made up their minds to live. The scene with the destroyed trees, that was a bit freakish. That barn should have fallen, but it didn't.  Hip, Hip, Hooray, for Mother Nature.

Great point. You are right. I had not thought about the scene that way, but it was about the triumph of hope over despair, especially since it was three people most lost who went to the door first.

I'm really lost.  I thought that scene was a dream or simply a fake out.  They didn't look like a group who'd just had a knock-down drag out fight in the mud.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I get tired of the constant new terror and trials and tribulations. It was nice to just see them beat down and wore out without anyone trying to kill them, eat them. I like the entire cast together with more focus on the core group. I just wish they would have left off the new backpacker guy and let him show up at the beginning of the next episode.

• Love 2

Finally, who in the seven hells is Aaron and why is he so bloody clean???

I know, right?  Who the fuck is Aaron, and why does he have a biblical name?  They better not go all Lost on me.  I refuse to trust a biblical name in an apocalypse.

Meanwhile, Daryl was catapulting to the top of the list of characters who can be left to be all mopey dopey in the woods now.  The actor looks constipated every time he tries to cry.

I've had it up to here with Daryl's man-pain.  Now he's self-mutilating?  Not only that, but he was sure to self-mutilate in an area where everyone will see it.  Typical attention-getting behavior.  Daryl - you've clearly never been a cutter.  Also, deliberately causing wounds in their filthy and non-hygienic environment is absolutely moronic.  Even minor wounds can kill in a world without antibiotics  ...... see Drogo of Game of Thrones.

• Love 22