Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Them

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I'm curious as to how we're going to find out how Aaron knows Rick's name, and he's the leader of the group.  It has to be from someone they've encountered before, or someone that's heard of them from someone we've met in the previous 4.6 seasons.

He probably heard someone yell Rick's name.  I'm surprised Aaron didn't mention Carl because Rick is always yelling CUUUUUUURLLLLL!!

I'm not surprised they're suspicious of Aaron. Gareth, who was also neat and clean and looked like he just stepped out of a coffee shop, also stalked them and did a roll call of names.  "Oh great, another Starbucks cannibal..."  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 7

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone here who didn't know that.

Everything and anything can be a spoiler for somebody...

there must be some sort of spoiler statute of limitations

I agree. My own personal statute would be did the last season of the show end 10 years ago? If so, it's fair game.

I just had to laugh that, for the entire episode, they wanted water. They finally get water and they're all "yikes, let's get out of the rain!"

And maybe try and find a way to wash their clothes. At least take of some layers, and rinse them in the rain, then dry them inside the barn. Or something.

I'm not surprised they're suspicious of Aaron.

It's a bit early to tell whether they are or they aren't. We'll see how they go about it next week.

Edited by AndySmith

It's a bit early to tell whether they are or they aren't. We'll see how they go about it next week.

Well, Sasha and Maggie pulled a gun on him, and in the preview for next week that was shown during the episode

the group has him tied up in the barn and are interrogating him

.  I think they're pretty damn suspicious.

• Love 2
I just had to laugh that, for the entire episode, they wanted water. They finally get water and they're all "yikes, let's get out of the rain!" (I appreciate that it was a big storm, but still...)

I thought they looked at the dark clouds and realized there might be lighting strikes, high winds, and downed trees in their futures if they didn't get out of the coming storm.

• Love 3
So this may be a really stupid question, but is it safe to drink rainwater?

Straight from the sky, yes. Opening up your mouth and drinking it, fine. If they had clean containers to collect it in, fine. Once it's touched the ground, stream, etc. you have to be more concerned about contaminants and treating it first before you drink. 

As for washing off their grime - it would be tempting. But for all of those worried about sunburns, a nice layer of dirt could be protecting them. In fact, my first thought with poor Judith's delicate skin was to slather a layer of mud on her. 

• Love 6

I'm curious as to how we're going to find out how Aaron knows Rick's name, and he's the leader of the group.  It has to be from someone they've encountered before, or someone that's heard of them from someone we've met in the previous 4.6 seasons.

As others have noted upthread, Aaron looks as if he just walked off a shoot for an LL Bean or Land's End catalogue. His clothes are brand new and it looks as if he showered that morning.

Obviously Aaron's group is incredibly well supplied.

They probably have Seasons 1-4 of The Walking Dead on DVD.

Hell, they probably have it on Blu Ray.

• Love 10

I can't believe I was looking at my watch during this episode.  I was actually bored.  I guess I would have used a dog to test the water.  Rick's ramble seemed a lot like Lt. Spears speech in Band of Brothers.  The whole barn door thing seemed odd too.  Are 15 of these things a force or not?  We are either terrified at their presence or barely acknowledge them.  Can we find no brick structures in the south?  I just disagree with the fact that these folks are always so vulnerable after several years of practiced survival.  I find it boring.

I'm curious as to how we're going to find out how Aaron knows Rick's name, and he's the leader of the group. It has to be from someone they've encountered before, or someone that's heard of them from someone we've met in the previous 4.6 seasons.

If not, can we just drop all pretense and just name Rick Grimes the "Superman of the ZA"? Because that's what he'll be, if someone never met before - nor informed by past characters - knows of him. Hell, even if it was a 'name dropper' that gave away his presence of awesomeness, he's still rapidly approaching "SotZA" status already.

Or we could go the much simpler route of assuming Aaron was watching the group. If he was the one who left the water, then he was obviously watching them. It's not a reach to assume he saw Rick giving orders and heard someone call him by name.

• Love 3

I read an article on Yahoo this morning (not giving the URL because it contains unannounced spoilers) where the author came out and said that Sasha deserved Michonne's comment about Tyrese acting stupid after the way she endangered them all at the bridge. I've seen other comments here basically saying the same thing, as though they happened in reverse order. So it definitely does seem to me like kind of retroactively giving a stamp of approval to Michonne's comments with a knowledge of what was about to happen.

As I said before, I'll have to agree to disagree with the overwhelming number of people who thought that was great, but I still count it as a mistake on Michonne's part. I also think Sasha's bearing the brunt of the Tyrese hate, but since I loved Tyrese I can't see it as her deserving what she got because her brother sucked.

• Love 2

The dogs they were eating looking juicy and super tender.  I would imagine that feral dog meat would be pretty tough, especially when cooked quickly over an open fire.

I agree. Those dogs would have been incredibly tough and stringy - mainly muscle and hide -  and needing to be stewed for ages to make them tender. (Hey, remember when Rick knocked the dog food out of Corl's hand in disgust? I wish Corl had thrown that up in his face as his dad sat there, chowing down on the actual dog.)

I thought the same about Bob's leg, too,  which was made to look as tender as short ribs that have been simmering for two hours.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3

I'm just assuming that he, or one of his group, has been following them for a little while at least, because they left water.  The mystery for me is how did this man follow them and leave all that water without breaking a sweat?  Did he run home real quick, shower and change clothes for the special occasion of meeting them face to face?  I did notice that his shirt was wrinkled and hadn't been ironed so shame on him.

That wouldn't even matter. They're in the South, and (judging from the drought) in the middle of dog days - mid-July to mid-August. Doesn't matter if you just stepped out of the shower; you're not walking to the mailbox and back without working up a sweat.

Bad writing. Like how that walker behind Maggie made such a ruckus, while the one that got Tyreese was super stealthy.

Anybody else get the vibe that Maggie's primary reaction to the walker was irritated annoyance?

"Good Lord, can't I even sit down and have a decent cry without being interrupted by one of you pests? Worse than children, swear to God...."

So this may be a really stupid question, but is it safe to drink rainwater?

Totally, so long as nobody has been detonating any tactical nukes recently.

• Love 5

"Bad writing. Like how that walker behind Maggie made such a ruckus, while the one that got Tyreese was super stealthy."  [sorry - couldn't get the quote thing to work right]

Tyreese was in the house, so the walker was coming up over carpeting.  And they've shown us many times that not all walkers growl.  So it made sense within the context of what they've shown us, but it certainly was "convenient" that Tyreese got a 'silent' walker in the house.  Maggie would have heard hers no matter what with it walking over leaves and sticks.

• Love 2

At the age of 86, my grampa couldn't stand without using both hands to hold on to something so when he needed to pee he'd sit on the toilet seat in reverse. facing the tank, and one night I had to help him because he was doing this and the lid suddenly came down and smashed him and the pain made him fall over backwards on the floor and he yelled If you ever want to rip your balls off in a hurry that's the way to do it!

Off topic yes; but still, good times.

Cracking up. This wins the internet today.

• Love 4

I found it interesting that Abraham smacked the possibly poisoned water out of Eugene's hand. Why is he still so protective of Eugene? Force of habit?

You would think he would force Eugene to test water and food, after all he put them all through with his lies.

Also, why did Eugene volunteer to do "quality assurance"? Was it because he was the weakest and couldn't deal with the thirst any longer or because he wanted to find some way to contribute to the group after all he had done?

Traumatic brain injuries often result in impulse control issues, so it's Abraham's fault.  :-)

And I'd rather eat earthworms for the rest of my life than watch Buffy, Angel or Firefly.

• Love 6

I agree. Those dogs would have been incredibly tough and stringy - mainly muscle and hide -  and needing to be stewed for ages to make them tender. (Hey, remember when Rick knocked the dog food out of Corl's hand in disgust? I wish Corl had thrown that up in his face as his dad sat there, chowing down on the actual dog.)

I thought the same about Bob's leg, too,  which was made to look as tender as short ribs that have been simmering for two hours.

Carl should have laughed sardonically, and said "Hey look, dad.  I'm finally eating that dog food I wanted 2.5 seasons ago!  I guess we've actually 'reached that point', huh?"

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 6

Good to know. Because I saw something just the other day that possible spoiled Downton Abbey. I immediately scrolled down, so I'm not sure if they actually did, but it seemed like it was heading that way. (And not in the DA forum.)

Yes, it was in this very thread.  So, if it's OK to post spoilers for something broadcast the same night as this show, who cares about something that ran 10 years ago.

The day can't come soon enough when people stop bringing up Buffy.

The reason they're walking in the middle of the road is so that they can spot walkers coming out of the trees.  Being in the middle of the tarmac, although hot, gives them distance and prevents the walkers from getting a drop on them.  

• Love 5

And I'd rather eat earthworms for the rest of my life than watch Buffy, Angel or Firefly.

Since I've never seen one minute of any of those shows, I'd have to say I'd rather watch them than eat a worm. In fact, I'd rather watch them than see Daryl eat a worm. I can't even stand watching  robins eat worms. YUCK.

Tyreese was in the house, so the walker was coming up over carpeting.  And they've shown us many times that not all walkers growl.  So it made sense within the context of what they've shown us, but it certainly was "convenient" that Tyreese got a 'silent' walker in the house.  Maggie would have heard hers no matter what with it walking over leaves and sticks.

Sorry, I was referring to the growling, not the carpet vs. leaves & sticks. I think the zombie actors are silent, and the editing monkeys add the growls in post. So they made Maggie's walker really, really vocal and Tyreese's conveniently mute.

• Love 2

The reason they're walking in the middle of the road is so that they can spot walkers coming out of the trees.  Being in the middle of the tarmac, although hot, gives them distance and prevents the walkers from getting a drop on them.

It's also easier to walk on a paved surface. Walking through a tangle of weeds over uneven ground, dodging branches and what-not isn't all that easy. Add the odd gopher hole here and there, and you're lucky not to twist an ankle.

• Love 6

The way I understood it, they had to scrap the plan because otherwise Sasha would have been alone, with her sides and back completely uncovered, and on top of it blinded by rage and exhaustion while going into a herd. Flimsy explanation, maybe, but it's the only one I can come up with.

I took it more like Rick realized one of their own had gone rogue, so they needed to circle the wagons. They look out for each other, even when the crazy sets in. Edit: I just realized I repeated what you said in different words - my bad.

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 4

It's also easier to walk on a paved surface. Walking through a tangle of weeds over uneven ground, dodging branches and what-not isn't all that easy. Add the odd gopher hole here and there, and you're lucky not to twist an ankle.

Yeah, falling down and twisting an ankle is Tara's schtick. We don't need more of her.

• Love 4

That "we are the walking dead" speech? Most. Depressing. Peptalk. Ever.

My first impulse was that Judith looked uncomfortable, too, dangling from Rick's arms with the sun directly in her face, but considering in a lot of places it's common to see women working out in open fields with babies strapped to their backs, sun beating down on them all day everyday, I came to the same conclusion as Rick: "eh, she's okay."

I guess "earthworms or dogs?" can be a new "would you rather" question.

I'm not the only one who thought of the book "How to eat Fried Worms", right?

• Love 3

Personally, I'd take my chances on a less even ground, rather than risk dehydration and sunstroke, after a day and a half of no food and barely any water. Lose-lose situation I guess.

Respectfully, have to disagree; the CDB crew were already too stagger-ish from dehydration to manage an attack on uneven ground. Glenn was so wobbly when he pushed that walker over the bridge footing into the ravine, he almost went in after it.

• Love 3

dangling from Rick's arms with the sun directly in her face, but considering in a lot of places it's common to see women working out in open fields with babies strapped to their backs, sun beating down on them all day everyday, I came to the same conclusion as Rick: "eh, she's okay."

Not when babies are whiter-than-white, like Judith. I'm pale and start to burn in 10 minutes in full summer sun. I can only imagine what would happen with a baby's tender skin. She'd look like a lobster by the end of the day.

• Love 8

I had a friend years ago who had a young son.  She left him in his stroller for approximately 10 minutes on the front porch as she carried her shopping inside.  That poor baby burnt so bad he ended up with blisters.  Of course he was a ginger, but still - all day in the sun for white babies is a bad, bad thing.

• Love 6

I took it more like Rick realized one of their own had gone rogue, so they needed to circle the wagons. They look out for each other, even when the crazy sets in. Edit: I just realized I repeated what you said in different words - my bad.

I liked your words better, so it's all good!

• Love 3
Would you rather wear an itchy, black polyester oxford in the hot sun like Father Gabriel, or dye, cut & style your hair like Daryl?

Oh man, that's a tough one. I'm assuming you couldn't take off the clothes or cut the hair, so I guess I'll take Father Pee Pant's garb. I really cannot stand hair in my eyes. 

And I think you just created the need for a new sub-forum - TWD: Would You Rather!

• Love 3

There are two easy fixes to this though: have some on the road and some off to the side, rotate shifts to get a break from the sun. Or, everyone walks near the tree line and every x steps does a little twirl to check for walkers.  Unless I'm misremembering, there were plenty of sight-lines in the forest which paralleled the road; it's not like there were tons of bushes and fully leafed trees, creating easy hiding places for walkers.

This isn't 28 Days Later though. These walkers move slowly. Our people, with minimal effort, can check around themselves to see if a walker is catching up to them. And they wouldn't even have to check all that often because of the aforementioned slowness of the walkers. Hell, they had a gang on their ass, and they didn't give a shit because they knew they were walking faster than the group of walkers.

And if walkers are moving through underbrush, they will make noise, giving our gang an extra heads-up.

As far as stumbling into a hole...our gang wasn't exactly moving quickly. If you're walking at 1 mph with little to visually distract you, if you stumble into a hole and fuck up your ankle...I'm not saying Darwinism, but...Darwinism. ;)

I just can't fathom choosing the GUARANTEED hot tarmac, full sun exposure, dehydration and sunburn over walking in the shade for such IMO minimal and unlikely risks...

• Love 4

TV Guide voted it the second biggest cult show of all time behind Star Trek.  So, it's unlikely to stop.

I have lost hope.....

And yet, some plot point is considered a spoiler, umpteen years after the last episode aired?

• Love 3

Star Trek Spoiler:

Captain Kirk banged the green alien lady.

ETA, I agree that 10 years is reasonable. At that late date you're gonna get spoiled because the show has entered the national consciousness and has a huge chance of spawning a thousand pop culture references. At 10 years you probably can't even play trivia games safely.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 3

I have lost hope.....

And yet, some plot point is considered a spoiler, umpteen years after the last episode aired?

I've gotten yelled at by peeps on facebook for saying something about this show the day after it aired.  Like don't get on Facebook if you haven't taken the time to watch the show.  After anything has aired I consider it no longer spoiler material.  I hate when articles say "contains spoilers" and it's about something that has already aired!

• Love 3

I'm being obscure.  I wouldn't come to here and not expect to hear explicit descriptions of what happened on The Walking Dead.

Someone way upthread posted something spoilerish for the Downton Abbey episode that aired at the same time as this episode of TWD.  Then, later someone else complained that it was spoiling to mention Buffy finding her mother dead.  I didn't even have a chance to watch the DA episode, because I was watching this.  But instead we're worried about ruining Buffy for somebody.

• Love 6

I find it annoying that other shows and their characters are mentioned at all. I've never watched Buffy and never will. I gave up on Lost half way through season one. The Wire, Downton Abbey and The Sopranos have nothing to do with TWD. JMHO.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 4

I find it annoying that other shows and their characters are mentioned at all. I've never watched Buffy and never will. I gave up on Lost half way through season one. The Wire, Downton Abbey and The Sopranos have nothing to do with TWD. JMHO.

And here I was about to wonder whether out group ever finds a safe place; would the show continue the Wizard of Oz theme: Abraham Ford getting massaged under rollers till he's dolphin smooth, Rick getting his mane and beard curled, Maggie getting her push-up bra stuffed with straw. I guess Judith would get a bow in her hair, because she's Toto.

• Love 8

I noticed in some stills from the episode that Carl has two different shoes on. Nice continuity since "walker got my shoe didn't get me" but how annoying. Why not take both of the other pair? Gives me the willies to think about walking in two different shoes. Hello, issues.

• Love 5

And here I was about to wonder whether out group ever finds a safe place; would the show continue the Wizard of Oz theme: Abraham Ford getting massaged under rollers till he's dolphin smooth, Rick getting his mane and beard curled, Maggie getting her push-up bra stuffed with straw. I guess Judith would get a bow in her hair, because she's Toto.

Don't forget an oil can for Daryl so he doesn't rust up when he cries. ;-)

• Love 5

I noticed in some stills from the episode that Carl has two different shoes on. Nice continuity since "walker got my shoe didn't get me" but how annoying. Why not take both of the other pair? Gives me the willies to think about walking in two different shoes. Hello, issues.

I wear size 9.5 (EU 40) narrow shoes. In the ZA, there's no way in hell I'll be able to scavenge a pair of shoes that'll fit. (Not to mention a bra.)

I used to think Rosita's outfit was stupid. But she was way more comfortable this episode than Gabriel.

• Love 3
Gives me the willies to think about walking in two different shoes. Hello, issues.

*whispers* I once went to work with two different shoes on. I mean, the styles were similar, but black and navy look the same at 6:00a.m, don't they??

QuoteQuoteQuoteQuoteI wouldn't come to here and not expect to hear explicit descriptions of what happened on The Walking Dead.

I see it on Monday night and don't come here to look at ANY of the forums until I've watched (although it's difficult - this place is like crack). If I did and saw spoilers, I have myself to blame for that.

QuoteQuoteQuoteQuote

Abraham Ford getting massaged under rollers till he's dolphin smooth, Rick getting his mane and beard curled, Maggie getting her push-up bra stuffed with straw.

...while Noah stands there clicking his heels together, saying "I want to go home."

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 7

But sometimes it's so much easier to make a point when drawing comparisons.  Why go on at length about your concern that a show has lost it's direction, mystical and incomprehensible actions are going unexplained, the writers and show runners are making promises that you're starting to disbelieve, and you're worried this wonderful amazing show is potentially running itself into the ground - taking you and your hopes for how the story ends with it.  Why say all that when you can simply say - I hope this show doesn't become another Lost. Meaning ..... a show that you invested so much time and energy in, and were left bitter and confused when it signed off. 

• Love 8

I've gotten yelled at by peeps on facebook for saying something about this show the day after it aired.  Like don't get on Facebook if you haven't taken the time to watch the show.  After anything has aired I consider it no longer spoiler material.  I hate when articles say "contains spoilers" and it's about something that has already aired!

That seems a little quick on the trigger to me. Because I watch so little TV, I stream the 2 or 3 shows I like next day. It seems easier for those who watch on the exact broadcast day to stay mum for 48-72 hours than it does for slightly-late-watchers to go into virtual hibernation so the show isn't spoiled for them. Yes, I'm careful to avoid show-related forums like this one, but all of FB? Honestly seems like a bit of courtesy not to spoil on general social media for at least a couple of days. JMO.

• Love 2

I noticed in some stills from the episode that Carl has two different shoes on. . Hello, issues.

Maybe it's a new kind of "bandanna code".

*whispers* I once went to work with two different shoes on. I mean, the styles were similar, but black and navy look the same at 6:00a.m,

I did it a couple weeks ago lol.

• Love 2