Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Memories of Murder

The death of a young college woman sends Henry and Jo back to the cultural hotbed that was New York in the 1970s. Murder victim Sarah Clancy's fascination with authentic 70's attire is more than just a fashion statement; it is revealed that she had an unhealthy obsession with the past. The investigation ironically leads Henry and Jo back to college professor Molly Dawes (aka Iona Payne, the dominatrix), who taught Sarah in a course on sexual identity. Molly not only agrees to help in the search for the killer, but she and Henry spark a hot, romantic connection. Flashbacks to 1979 reveal Henry and Abigail's struggle coming to terms with their age difference as they try to celebrate their anniversary with a night on the town.

Promo:

• Love 1

I found it sad/creepy that the older guy hired that girl to dress up as his dead wife and re-enact his favorite day.

I have never been impressed with Hilarie Burton so I am kind of glad that Henry ended things with her. See ya!

Lucas and Mike continue to amuse me. I was cracking up over the John Travolta hair, the fondue comments, and the rest of their antics.

I'm glad we got to see a glimpse of an older Abigail with Henry. This is something that you'd think would be addressed more frequently in books/tv shows/movies about immortals who have relationships with humans (but naturally they usually want to focus on what it's like for a teenager to be with a 100+ year old being who happens to be in a young looking body).

Although we have speculated about what happened to Abigail, it seems equally as likely that she couldn't handle looking significantly older than Henry versus dying. Neither Henry nor Abe have really spoken negatively about her, which made me assume that she died rather than abandoning them but it would be interesting if she were still alive and chose not to be with Henry anymore and Abe took Henry's side.

But knowing how both Henry and Abe clearly still love her and speak of her affectionately, I find that a less likely option. Plus Henry mentions her very casually (as opposed to tiptoeing around and trying not to mention her) and fairly often. The only time we've really seen him look regretful about mentioning her was when he realized that her recipe book was in that box this week, and even then it didn't seem like, "Whoops, I forgot that you totally hate her for abandoning her - sorry for bringing up those painful memories!" It seemed more like he was sorry he had referred to the contents of the box as junk and he didn't want Henry to think he was saying anything negative about Abigail.

• Love 1

I have never been impressed with Hilarie Burton so I am kind of glad that Henry ended things with her. See ya!

I fear we haven't seen the back of her quite yet!

...it would be interesting if she were still alive and chose not to be with Henry anymore and Abe took Henry's side.

I think it's highly unlikely she is alive.  Given her age at the end of WW-II (minimum 20?) she would be around 90 years old now.  Given that her adoptive son Abe is now 80 in real life, this argues for her being even older than 90, possibly towards the ton.  Yes, people do live to that sort of age, but the likelihood of her being alive still, is low.  Naturally, television can make the highly unlikely happen anyway...

• Love 1

Judd Hirsch is 80, but Abe it not. He was an infant in 1945, making him 70 years old. He also said something in one of the first episodes about being almost 70 years old. Abe also said "She could still be alive" referring to Abigail in an early episode, suggesting that Abigail did not die but left Henry.

• Love 1

I'm glad we got to see a glimpse of an older Abigail with Henry. This is something that you'd think would be addressed more frequently in books/tv shows/movies about immortals who have relationships with humans (but naturally they usually want to focus on what it's like for a teenager to be with a 100+ year old being who happens to be in a young looking body).

Actually I think we've seen this explored a fair number of times in this genre.  For instance in the original Highlander movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKZATZHWZI

• Love 1

I've never watched Highlander but I was thinking of shows/movies like The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Moonlight, Twilight, etc. all of which had immortals dating younger humans but not getting past that stage into the humans appearing older than the immortals. How did the relationship work in Highlander? Did they stay together until the human died?

• Love 1
How did the relationship work in Highlander? Did they stay together until the human died?

That depends on whether it's the film or the TV series based upon it. Never saw the film, but the female Duncan loved on the show did die, yeah.

• Love 1

At least we know that Abigail was with them til the early 80s but Henry could've fixed his hair with a lot more grey that what he was doing or get a wig. I think that would helped with him looking so young when they go out in public.

Thank you show for not having Emily sing but she's still a mediocre actress.

Funny -- just today I went on a little adventure, going back to my old house, old neighborhood, and my haunts from the 70's.  Then to see tonight's episode -- I had that exact orange-y suede coat with the big furry collar that the roommate wore towards the end ;)

• Love 4

At least we know that Abigail was with them til the early 80s but Henry could've fixed his hair with a lot more grey that what he was doing or get a wig.

Didn't he have more grey in his hair in an earlier episode when she was younger? They really made the age difference (in appearance) pronounced with his hair tonight. 

Regarding family relationships with immortal characters, Torchwood's Capt. Jack had a very distant relationship with his daughter. She distanced herself from him because it was too difficult for her to see him remain young while she aged. He appeared to accept her position, though seemed hurt by her unwillingness to let him into her life (not that she'd ever mattered before to the writers!). I see Henry feeling the same way: it didn't bother him but he accepted that she could not emotionally handle how they looked together, if indeed that's what happened. I could see him accepting her leaving without anger because in a sense, it's part of the "curse" he has to live with and he understands that.

I think the more interesting reaction, if she did leave because of the visual differences in their "ages," is how Abe responded to the breakup. What I've come to love about this show is how they've treated Abigail's absence. Henry's memories of her are always positive and loving. Likewise, Abe doesn't seem to shy away from speaking well of her. He was clearly uncomfortable about the cookbook but it was from the POV that Henry would be upset it was with the garbage items. I really liked that he used her recipe and that he always refers to her as mom. The implication that she left personal items behind really makes me wonder what happened. I get breaking off contact with Henry, but I'm very curious about Abe, given the fact that their continued mother-son relationship would not raise eyebrows. 

In a way, I hope we find out what happened to her but at the same time, not knowing if she's alive or not is kind of nice. And regarding her age, I've an 89 year old grandmother who's physically in great shape! I wouldn't be surprised if a 95 year old Abigail shows up at some point. ETA: Just rewatched 1x02 and they said she'd be 94 right now. 

I love Lucas. I missed most of this episode, thanks to election night news coverage (for a city I don't live in!) but the bits I did see with him were great! Looking forward it Amazon posting it and seeing what I missed. 

One thing that did make me a bit uneasy was Abe's enthusiasm about Henry's dating/sex life... I don't care how old Abe is, that was a weird!

The DVF dresses were fantastic!    

Edited by Kate87
  • Love 2

Funny -- just today I went on a little adventure, going back to my old house, old neighborhood, and my haunts from the 70's. Then to see tonight's episode -- I had that exact orange-y suede coat with the big furry collar that the roommate wore towards the end ;)

Wow, I bet the show people (costume dept. etc.) would get a kick out of knowing how much their re-creation enhanced your experience. Sort of eerie.

I, OTOH, was a hippy in the 70s, making my ankle length skirts from bell-bottom blue jeans and wrap-around dresses from so-called "Indian bedspreads."

I thought Henry was getting close to Jo. No?

...Abe also said "She could still be alive" referring to Abigail in an early episode, suggesting that Abigail did not die but left Henry.

Yeah, unless they retcon it, she likely left. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Could you all tell me what happened in the middle of the episode? Here in Chicagoland, they interrupted the program with news on the mayoral re-election (Rahm Emanuel going up against other parties), so that overrode an entire section of scenes. The last I remember was they were talking with the man who they thought killed the victim, and he was saying that he did it, and Henry was just realizing that he was covering for someone else. They started to interview his daughter, and then it cut out on me... given conversations that occurred when the episode resumed after the news, I'm assuming there was some sort of date between Henry and Molly? What happened?

And did they show any more flashbacks between Henry and Older Abigail (or Younger Abigail)? I only saw the one right at the beginning with the cookbook and right at the end, with the lasagna and the dancing together. Was there anything else revealed in between? I hate missing those flashback details about Henry and Abe's life! It's always so interesting.

sinkwriter, the daughter was a red herring. The roommate was obsessed with the victim in a "if I can't have you, nobody can" sort of way. She went to Henry's special friend (who was also coincidentally the professor of the only class the victim was still attending), and when Professor Dominatrix realized the roomie was a psycho killer, she cut short their visit to call the cops. But of course, the crazy roommate overheard and tried to kill her too.

Just a little more dancing in private with aging Abigail.

Not my favorite episode. I was glad Adam wasn't behind it, which early on seemed could be the case, but having the dominatrix return wasn't much better.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Not my favorite episode, either.   I don't like the creepy dominatrix woman at all.    

I did like the flashbacks to Henry's past.   I like the parallel story line of Henry's life with Abigail that has been developing throughout the season along with the present-day plot.

Edited by crocosmia

Abigail seemed so unlikable in this episode. I really hated how whiny she was. It's one thing to be challenged by the situation, but it was like she wasn't even trying.

I was confused by Henry breaking it off with the professor. He seemed quite into her, and she might be the sort of person who was able to deal with something like an immortal partner-- she certainly didn't seem like the sort of person to be hamstrung by worries about social convention or the opinion of strangers. And I also thought he was developing a similar bond with Jo, though she's much more likely to freak out if he starts claiming immortality-- unless he dies in front of her and then returns, i imagine she would reflexively have him locked up should he even hint at the idea. I suppose he feels like with Jo it's safe because they are colleagues and he'll just abide by professional boundaries. But with the professor, he's really only there because of his personal attraction.

I feel sad that Abe can't call Henry "dad"-- because he might slip and say it in front of others, I suppose.

• Love 1

Emily Kinney is still a terrible actress. I guess it helped that she was so bland that I forgot about her, even though I knew she would be the killer.

Are they really hiding what happened to Abigail? I get her leaving Henry but Abe said she left them. Why would she leave her normal aging son? I could go with she did leave Henry then died a few years later. It's nice that they still have fond memories of her though, whatever happened to her.

I love when Abe calls Henry, Pops. 

I do want Henry to tell Jo about being immortal before anyone else. I really love their friendship. 

Abigail and Henry: Really? She got old and was bothered by what other people think? Come on! I don't buy it.  Like what turnitwayup said. Henry could've fixed his hair with a lot more grey or get a wig. There are a lot of ways to fake it. I hope Abigail is gone because she died,  because if it turns out she left him and Abe, I am going to be pissed.

Molly Dawes and Henry:  Awww! I really wanted them to start dating and be a couple. Ah well he isn't ready. It's okay. Maybe he will be ready someday.

Sarah Clancy's roommate and Molly: What the hell?! She tells her to be quiet, while sticking scissors in her neck?! WOW! Throw her in the looney bin.

Abe and Henry: Love love love them! :) Love the end when Abe used her mom's recipes. :)

• Love 2

Abigail seemed so unlikable in this episode. I really hated how whiny she was. It's one thing to be challenged by the situation, but it was like she wasn't even trying.

Yup!! She did seem very unlikable, and no she wasn't even trying. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I did the the flashback of Henry and Abigail dancing during dinner. That is a really good thing for Abe to see that! :) To show Abe love and respect. .And how to treat a woman. :) Nice job showing that writers. :)

I don't like the creepy dominatrix woman at all.

No more Hilarie Burton, please. She ruined White Collar and she ruined Forever. She's frequently cast as a femme fatale, which I don't think she does very well. Also, the character did not give any special insights into the case. Jo could have gotten he same information from a sex-crimes detective, if she had to go to someone outside the investigation. Or she could have known some of that herself—it was pretty basic psychology.

That's one of the biggest complaints I have about the show, that Henry is the only one who can come up with just the right arcane/specialized knowledge. Please give the police a bit more depth, Show.

I agree, and why was this particular evening the straw that broke the camel's back? Though I do think Henry could have done more to make the age difference less apparent. (His hair was hilarious.)

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

Abigail and Henry: Really? She got old and was bothered by what other people think? Come on! I don't buy it.  Like what turnitwayup said. Henry could've fixed his hair with a lot more grey or get a wig. There are a lot of ways to fake it. I hope Abigail is gone because she died,  because if it turns out she left him and Abe, I am going to be pissed.

At first I thought it was a little odd but then remembered the era it occurred in and understand her issue.  Now she might be regarded as a "cougar" (I despise that term btw), but reality is even in this day and age the double standard is alive and well when it comes to older women and younger men.  The opposite is acceptable and in fact celebrated, but if it's a woman who is older rude comments are made and rarely is it celebrated.  You can only do so much to make yourself look older and I think Henry is at the limit of that capability.

• Love 8

Abigail and Henry: Really? She got old and was bothered by what other people think?

Maybe his disguises weren't enough anymore, and she was afraid that she would somehow expose his secret and cause him great trouble and pain? I'm assuming he told her about Nora and how badly it went that she had him committed and he was tortured. I would be afraid my age difference would create too many questions (and be afraid I'd accidentally slip up and on reflex kiss him romantically when I'm supposed to be pretending to be his "mother" now that I look more like that).

I wonder if Abe ever had accidental slip-ups as he and Henry started to look opposite of what their true relationship was. And if something went wrong with Abigail and that's why they work so hard to keep their stories straight now.

• Love 1

Is it possible Abigail is in a rest home?  Perhaps she has Alzheimer's and had to go into long term care.  That could be why she's not at the residence and the guys still refer to her as if she's not quite dead.  Of course that would require seeing one or both going to visit her periodically.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

No more Hilarie Burton, please. She ruined White Collar...

Yep. That's when I stopped watching WC. Not the only reason, but it didn't help.

It looks like they have a plan for Abigail's back story, but I can't figure it out. Abe & Henry hold no animosity towards her, but Abe said "she could still be alive." Maybe "she" was in reference to someone else?

No, I'm pretty sure "she" did refer to Abigail, as she was the subject of the conversation when that line popped up.

Maybe she still kept in contact for a time from afar but could no longer handle the odd situation her aging brought.

• Love 2

I actually liked Hilarie Burton on this show, I thought her and Ioan had wonderful chemistry.  I'm sad that he is not quite ready to really care about another love but I think that's to be expected.  I feel like Henry is the type to love deeply.  I was surprised that Abigail didn't die, I think that would have been preferable honestly.  It kind of makes her look facetious when she was the one to convince Henry that their relationship could work with his lack of aging but be the first one to bail because of a little public discomfort.  I also dislike that she apparently left Abe as well. 

I do feel that maybe Abe might have cut off contact with her in response to her leaving the family but both he and Henry seem to cherish her memory so it's still kind of mystery what really happened.

I thought that Jo was a little frosty and short with Henry.  I'm surprised he didn't call her on it when he thought the confession didn't fit and she accused him of using the case to see Molly.  It will be interesting to see how he reacts when Jo gets a love interest.  He says he doesn't want to care for someone so deeply again but he's going to take a hard fall if anything happens to Jo.

Also, is it weird that I want Henry to die?  I feel like that part of the show has been kind of dropped.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

I loved the story between Henry and Professor Dawes.  I have never seen the actress in anything else and I think she is great,  Their chemistry is off the charts.

Jo seemed a bit jealous of them IMO, perhaps laying the ground for a future for Henry and Jo.

The storyline as a whole was sad though,  This man never got over losing his wife to the point of trying to re-create her.  The obsessed roommate was a bit predictable.  I think there was a Castle with something similar.

But overall, I really enjoyed the episode because we got to see Henry and Molly and we got some good flashbacks of Abigail.

• Love 2

At first I thought it was a little odd but then remembered the era it occurred in and understand her issue.  Now she might be regarded as a "cougar" (I despise that term btw), but reality is even in this day and age the double standard is alive and well when it comes to older women and younger men.  The opposite is acceptable and in fact celebrated, but if it's a woman who is older rude comments are made and rarely is it celebrated.  You can only do so much to make yourself look older and I think Henry is at the limit of that capability.

Thank you. I'm really surprised at all the posters who thought she was being whiny or unlikeable.

Even today, women who are aging normally are often depressed (or at least bothered) by the way their bodies and faces are changing combined with the attitude society has about aging women. Every woman I know over 50 has expressed anger and unhappiness about the physical changes aging has brought her. Then women get to watch their normally aging male partners still be considered sexy even when the man is older than his "past her prime" wife. Everything in our society disparages women more and more as they age in ways that don't BEGIN to apply to men. Even without the immortality thing, it's annoying to gain weight more easily, get wrinkled faster, and be described with negative adjectives more often than the aging man in your life, who might very well be more than a few years older than you!

And that's not even considering the HUGE double standard that applies to May-December romances when the woman is the older partner. When a man has a young partner, he is congratulated and celebrated by his peers. (until it gets to the 80'ish tycoon and the 20'ish trophy wife. And even then, who gets the criticism? The woman of course! She's a "golddigger")

When he has a much older partner, his peers (and other men of all ages) say WTF? It's totally "normal" for a man to have a partner 10, 15, or even 20 years younger. Women who are more than a couple of years older than their male partners are outliers and being 15+ years older is fairly radical, especially if we are talking a woman who is 60'ish. (not 40'ish with a 20-something guy). When she's the older partner, she's not a "goldigger", she's "Norma Desmond".

If you doubt all this, just log onto a dating site and eliminate any man whose desired age range stops at or below his own age. There aren't many men left. OK.. a few "enlightened" men will go a year or 2 older than their own age.

So as an aging woman myself, I can't imagine how awful the stares, comments, and attitudes would have been for her especially in that era. I totally felt for her in that situation. She knew all along it would happen one day, but probably kept pushing the thoughts aside until she couldn't anymore. Even without the negative feedback of others, she was becoming an older woman with all the physical changes and problems that entails, while he stayed young and virile. Looking at him would be a constant reminder of how her own body was slowly breaking down. Keeping up with him would be harder every year. The 70's weren't exactly modern in their treatment of women's health issues either. I don't think anyone dared say the word "menopause" out loud, much less have frank discussions of all the symptoms. And mental health care for things like depression or anxiety? Yikes.

Meanwhile for her: No "growing old together", No shared experience of watching years go by. For her, it's a lifetime; for him, it's a blip. For her, it's entering the twilight years and a winding down and changes in attitude and outlook; he's looking with the same POV he's had all along.

Quite simply, they aren't maturing together, or changing and growing together.

I think it would be almost unbearable emotionally and psychologically, even without the added problems of the way society viewed them (her).

So frankly, I think you guys need to cut the character a little slack!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 19

Nothing explains why she's not in contact with Abe. He's aging normally.

Do we actually KNOW that Abe's had no contact with her since whenever she left, or are we assuming? I missed many of the early episodes, so I don't know what's been said. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if Abe's had contact with her all along and Henry doesn't know. After all, in 1979 when the flashback supposedly took place (according to the blurb ablve) Abe would be in his 30's. Plenty old enough to make his own decisions and arrangements on that score.

I sense a big reunion in the show's future, perhaps orchestrated by Abe?

• Love 1

Do we know how old Abe was when Abigail dropped out of his life? If he's 70 now, it's unlikely she's still alive.

Unlikely but not impossible. She could be in her 90's and still alive.

(For example, my dad's 70 and he lost his mother only a few years ago. If my grandmother hadn't gotten an extremely aggressive form of cancer -- she felt tired in late February, went to the doctor for tests in March, and within a 2-week span of tests and hospital visits not even 3 days after they'd finally diagnosed her cancer she was already gone -- I think she would still be alive, because up until a month before she felt sick, she was very healthy for her age and still going on gambling trips out of state with her senior group. She was 93.)

The more they show us, the more curious I get about what on earth happened between Henry and Abigail to make her leave. Did she "leave" Henry and Abe, as in take off without warning and without taking most of her possessions (like her cookbook), or did she "leave" as in death? Inquiring minds want to know, showrunners!  *GRIN*

• Love 1

I don't like the creepy dominatrix woman at all.

Plus One!

I found her to be entirely too skeevy when she first appeared as a sex-worker in The Ecstasy of Agony, and I was a little disappointed in Henry for being quite so intrigued.  Now they've given her a doctorate and a job at the university to clean up her image, presumably to sanitize an up-coming relationship arc between them.

Maybe Henry needs a girlfriend, and it's not happening with Jo. (Which in itself is a welcome departure from the TV-land norm.  Jo seems more likely to hit it off with Hanson!)  But Henry and the prost- uh, professor will not sit well with me. 

• Love 2

While I liked the episode, it was a bit unpolished and confusing on the COTW. When and how did the roommate put ketamine in the drink and then kill Sarah? Why would she just sit there and watch her bleed to death? Who brought the body to the dump? Why did the man automatically think it was his daughter who killed Sarah when she wasn't there. The daughter was barely 3 years old when they moved out of the apartment. How would she remember where her apartment was? The man immortalized that day because his wife told him she was pregnant. Why would he neglect his daughter?

• Love 1

What I find interesting about the Henry-Molly relationship is that it seems to be largely flirtation and fantasy, compared to Henry's relationship with Jo, which is based on friendship and trust and respect (grounded in reality). I don't doubt that Henry likes and is attracted to Molly, but they started out with a specific type of fantasy when they met (with her dominatrix 'therapy' approach) and now in this episode with their reenactment of the crime. There's a lot of teasing but not a ton of substance. I think that's why I don't mind that he decided not to pursue the relationship with Molly in the end. He has a very complicated secret life, one that could hurt the people in his life (or put them in danger), and I don't think he's ready for taking that big leap. His distress at sitting in the waiting room, caring about someone, being vulnerable to the worry and anxiety that come with it, showed how much it shook him. I think he'll have to be very very sure before pursuing a deeper relationship, which is why it's more lovely that he end up with Jo, because they're establishing this wonderful basis of friendship and trust first.

One little detail I loved in this episode: when Henry and Reece are watching the second interrogation with the mourning husband, Henry notices a pause the man takes while answering a question. Excited and intrigued, Henry turns to Reece and says, "Did you notice that --?" and stops short when he sees the look on her face that says, "I've been doing this for a very long time, mister. Of course I noticed. Who do you think you're talking to?" Her look and him shutting up immediately just cracked me up. I really do love their relationship. It's subtle and the scenes between them are rare, but really fun and interesting to watch.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

Slothgirl, thank you SO much for your comment. I was getting more and more frustraded reading the thread, especially the "you are reminded day in and day out that you are in love with an immortal being, that you will die and that says is getting closer and closer and no matter how much you try to push it ouy of your mind, it is a certanity and it is getting worse every time you laid your eyes on him". The idea that she should not be bothered confuses the hell of out me. Really, she shouldn't be bothered? How would any of you react in such a situation? I am betting money to donughts that most would have ran away a long time ago. Showing ANY kind of emotion, anger, hurt and betrayel (though no logical reason, still, it would be felt) is... entirely logical and quite adequate. I know, feeling hurt and tortured is ok, as long it is the male character but think about it... it is like you have a ticking clock and knowing you will die ON TOP with people reacting negatively would NOT make you feel better. With whom do you speak about it? Abigail has not been shown any friends, anyone to whom to confide... can you imagine having this emotional strain on one psyche having such a secret? There are no support groups nor anyone you can turn to, because this is a unique case and all the more lonely, because even the person with whom you share the predicament, is only on the end of the immortality.

The dominatrix, I find it perfectly believable that she had a phd but the idea that she has now shown to be educated (though it was hinted she was highly educated and psychologically savvy from the get go) as a way to make her more respectable is a bit weird, especially since she was shown to be a therapis as well, which requires adequate education. Pushing it furder to also being able to teach in a college I find perfectly acceptable. Even if she wasn't a phd owner she still could have been a love option for Henry, regardless of occupation I think.

I confess, I have a huge dislike for skinny blond women with curly hair because they always cast women who look identical in the styling, body and face, always too limited and no diversion. I don't hate the women, I hate the mold which is used to type cast a very limited pool of women because it makes them... identical and it is a bit boring. Outside of it, I don't like the acctress and her character was not well developed, she could have been a lot more interested in the mystery and shown to be a quicker thinker but oh well. :) In either way, I think my issue was mainly with the fact that she looked tired and either the acctress or the character or both do not have a dominating presense (I refer to turning easily into a center of attention or taking over in a group of people/asserting active or passive control), in short, she was supposed to be the part but it was never shown ina convincing for me way.

The logic behind Henry getting away from her due to her emotional closeness is quite clear, getting emotional attachment with someone is not easy at the best of times and when you know it will turn to tears and that it wouldn't really work, it is not just taking a chance, it is deliberately shooting yourself in the foot. Henry is in an impossible situation and no option is viable. Random hookups, though making you feel good, could make you feel even more lonely and if you want something more serious, you will get hurt. Which makes for very entertaining television and character development. :)

Edited by Eneya
  • Love 2

Her look and him shutting up immediately just cracked me up. I really do love their relationship. It's subtle and the scenes between them are rare, but really fun and interesting to watch.

I agree, and that's why I'm 'shipping them.

The captain knows everything that goes on in her precinct. Hee.

The idea that she should not be bothered confuses the hell of out me. Really, she shouldn't be bothered?

I  don't think anyone has said Abigail shouldn't be bothered about the immortality thing. The issue for me is that this episode was the first time we saw it as a real problem—not just something younger Abby and Henry talked about—and boom! Abigail is done and wants out. There was too little build up, IMO. This one dinner is the thing that sends her packing. We don't see them discussing ways that might make the visuals more equal.

This is the first time we saw old Abigail. She looked to be about 70 while Henry still looked to be in his mid 30s. No amount of applied grey hair color would change the fact that Henry had a young face and looked a full generation younger than Abigail. It was also shown in the first scene of Abigail sitting at her vanity that this had been bothering her for a while. The dinner was probably the last or next to last straw after a good twenty years of trying to deal with the issue and failing.

It's really not such a stretch for viewers to accept that this has been building up for a while that 20 or 30 years worth of scenes showing Abigail struggling with growing older need to be shown onscreen..

• Love 4

Henry seemed fairly thoughtless about the matter.  Completely ignoring what was a valid concern, and him with a head of thick, black hair, darker than ever before!  Even Lazarus Long aged his appearance cosmetically, so as to appear contemporary with his aging wives.

Bear in mind that Henry and Abe have/had the same problem.  When Abe was a boy, it was Henry and his son.  When Abe became visibly older, they would have had to relocate and come up with a cover-story to suit.  I guess Abigail wasn't happy pretending to be Henry's grandmother.

• Love 3

Henry and Abe were, apparently, separated for many years when Abe was an adult. Abe mentioned that Henry had missed all of his wives because he was out of the picture for a while. If Henry and Abe didn't reconnect until Abe was well past middle age then Abe gradually looking older than Henry wouldn't have been an issue. Also, a filial relationship is very different than a spousal relationship.

I wouldn't say that Henry was thoughtless. He just didn't appear to care about what people thought while Abigail did. it is not so unusual that the young (looking) person in such a relationship is less concerned about the age difference than the old person. Old men with young wives routinely worry about not being able to perform in bed and being used for their money.

• Love 1

I wouldn't say that Henry was thoughtless. He just didn't appear to care about what people thought while Abigail did.

One of the people whose thoughts on the matter Henry didn't care about, was Abigail.

• Love 3

I'd give Henry more credit than that, he was attempting to be reassuring. It was part of the theme of the episode, (trying to) forget the realities of the situation and focusing on the happiness and love of the moment. I thought it was endearing and completely understand where he was coming from. I also completely understand why it didn't work for Abigail.

• Love 2