Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Sounding Off

Return of the Foundation Challenge! I always enjoy watching the relay challenge. I thought the ice queen VJ was fun, though I wanted to smack whoever put those horns on the Egyptian goddess's jaw. Goddesses should not have jaw horns!

RJ! I will always love his bellhop from season 2, so it's great to see him back for an episode. I had to chuckle at his unvarnished comments to some of the contestants, especially compared to Laura, Anthony and Rayce who are always so polite and diplomatic (which is one of the reasons why I love them). But still. RJ makes me smile.

As for the makeups, I'm flabbergasted (what a fun word) that Megan's bird creature wasn't a top look. It looked pretty damn good to me! Megan! As a bird-alien! What more do you want, judges?

Though I wasn't necessarily in love with the porcelain doll, I can see why it won. As annoying as the grey/purple-haired partner is (and is she ever) I must begrudgingly admit she has some talent. Mostly I'm happy to see Stephanie get a win, since she's one of the few contestants who strikes me as having some real potential.

Not surprised Regina went home. Anthony actually showed some promise tonight so I'm glad they gave him another week. And I'm relieved that Darla is still around, since she's done some of the season's best work so far.

Doug Jones next week, woo hoo!

• Love 7

Loved the idea of creating a character inspired by sounds. Too bad such a potentially unlimited opportunity for creativity and originality only inspired stale clichés, with the exception of the winning look, and the alien bird girl. A demon! A devil! A monster! A sort-of robot! I was bored and disappointed.

While I wasn't surprised to see Regina ejected, I felt badly for her in one respect. She shouldn't have had to fight so hard with her team mate over the concept for their piece. He had immunity, so he should have given her the lead, especially when all he could come up with when hearing metallic techno-sounds was "Robot!" They might well have done better if they hadn't lost so much time arguing at the beginning of the challenge.

• Love 7

This was my favorite episode of the entire series. Such a creative concept. Each model really sold their creature. I was pleased with the winner. I thought the bird creature was beautiful and would come in second. Didn't really care for the red demon. Regina was the correct choice to go home. She was negative about the concept from the start.

• Love 5

I thought the doll was absolutely the best, but I thought the bird creature was next, so I was surprised when it was jut safe. The green guy with the face mask was the worst to me.

• Love 5

Loved this episode! We got the return of a fun Foundation Challenge, and a new Spotlight Challenge. I loved almost all of the concepts that resulted from the sounds, even if a few of them weren't executed very well. Plus, extra bonus RJ! Too bad he wasn't around last week for the card suite challenge. And on a personal note, I got to say hi to him informally at Dragon Con in Atlanta on Labor Day last year.

While I thought the bird creature was gorgeous, I had to laugh that yet another of Emily's creations had big hair to match her's. At least it was quills this time. I know this is my own personal quirk, but this has happened every damn time. I suppose some of it might have been her partner's doing. At least it results in a memorable silhouette that impresses the judges. And to be that talented that young is remarkable.

Regina's departure really wasn't that big of surprise given the sad monotone delivery of her talking heads. I was glad to have her gone simply so I wouldn't have to listen to it any more. I don't know how she got organic from their sound sample, but she really should have went with her partner's idea. Robot may be trite, but it would have fit the sound better. She could have also jumped on the biomechanical comprise that her partner suggested. I usually feel guilty for those when paired with immune partners, but not this time. She dug her own grave.

However, I will admit that I was surprised they went down to teams of two when someone is immune. I think it might have been a little more fair if they had kept the teams of three that they had earlier. That way if the immune partner really phones it in (but I don't think the guy did), then it won't affect one person quite so adversely.

Like RJ and the judges, I was impressed by the clever idea to use the existing model's face molds for the souls of the dead. Too bad it came across as a disfigured belly dancer that caused unwanted laughs. Also, the green swamp thing was just a hot, soggy mess.

Finally, congrats to the top looks! The doll was lovely. That's how you do whimsy and beauty at once.

Edited by Richness
  • Love 5

I liked this challenge too and like others really liked the doll and was surprised that the bird creature was not in the top.  I guess the judges saw something in the red demon that I didn't because I felt it should have only been safe.

• Love 4

Okay, so first of all, on the foundation challenge, I thought that blue wig was silly. It's kind of a shame, IMHO, to have a guest judge who just WEARS makeup from time to time picking a winner to give immunity. Not that it's life or death or anything, but immunity!! And why does it seem like whenever anyone has immunity, they end their team up in the bottom in the spotlight challenge??

I loved seeing RJ, but I've always been partial to him. I didn't mind his "unvarnished comments." While I, too, love Laura, Anthony and Rayce for being polite and supportive, the coaches are there to help these guys do better so they can possibly win. Sometimes you have to be all truthy to get to that end result.

I liked the porcelain doll, but it didn't seem new or fresh to me. But then, what IS new under the sun, I guess. Thought the red demon makeup was mask-y, which I have always thought the judges HATE. I liked the bird/ porcupine creature, too. Porcelain doll was very well done, though, and deserved the win.

Edited by PepperMonkey

Why doesn't the person with immunity ever graciously agree to do what the non-immunity partner wants? The immunity person always wants to test boundaries since they can't be kicked off, thereby screwing their parnter over.  If he had just gone with her idea at the beginning, they would have had more time and their character would have looked so much better.

• Love 6

This turned out to be one of my all-time favorite F-O challenges. After spending time guessing what the facetestants would come up with,Teen-Age Couch Son and I thought all of the results were really good. Even the Adam/Regina character was innovative - we were really expecting a Master-Chief wannabe, but their concept was eerie; it was time management that seemed to kill them. PLUS, the production staff really pulled out all of the excellent models for this challenge - the models outdid themselves this episode selling these designs. Yay, F-O! It was looking like a lackluster season, but you just turned it around. (Perhaps it was the presence of RJ who did my favorite make-up of all seasons - the Bell-Hop.)

• Love 1

I also thought the bird creature would win, but I also really liked the doll. That green mess was safe??

Teen-Age Couch Son's response to the judges' criticism that you could not really make out its face very clearly was, "Isn't that the point of being a Bog Monster?  No one sees you until you have their foot in your mouth."  So, if survival of Bog Monsters requires them to look like green messes, then success!!

• Love 2

It's always weird to see two reality shows cross paths, especially one that is so classy with one that is so trashy (that was Matthew from ANTM as Logan and Rob's model, right?).

I was sitting there talking to Regina through the television, telling her to do some futuristic DJ character to go with their sound effect. Anything cyborg-related was going to look cliche, and then she totally whiffed the sculpt.

• Love 1

Count me among those who was amazed the bird creature was just safe.  The 5 people sitting in my living room watching the show loved it and expected it to be one o the top looks.  We were truly shocked when it was sent off early.  We were also shocked that the ghost-face guy ended up being a bottom look.  That was another one we really loved.  It wasn't the best thing ever done, but we thought that was one of the most original ideas we'd ever seen, and we most certainly did not have the issues with it that the judges did.  We thought the use of the faces was very clever, and we really liked the way they moved around as if the creatures were inside trying to get out.  Just goes to show what we know!  :)~  We actually liked both of those better than the red demon guy.  I can see why the doll creature one.  It was really well done if somewhat reminiscent of the doll done last season.  But we liked that they made the doll appear aged and worn, and the picture in the frame was a really nice added touch.  I think this week was my favorite episode of the season, as the contestants seemed to step it up a bit this week.  We'd been a bit underwhelmed by a lot of the make-ups in previous weeks, but most of them this week were very nice, we thought.

• Love 1

I loved the flawless execution of that porcelain automaton, and felt it's success was totally deserved. I would have had bird-girl in the top looks instead of nice-silhouette-and-paint-job-but-generic red demon, though, since the demon should have been just safe.

As far as Regina's elimination, well... not surprised. Even if her partner had let her do whatever she wanted to right from the start, her sculpt was still mediocre at best, and the overall concept weak.

• Love 1

I really liked the structure of this episode- both the foundation challenge relay race, and then the sound-inspired spotlight challenge were fun, creative, and interesting concepts.  And most of the pieces this week were at least passable, so well done, FO.

While not the most original, the execution of the Stepford-doll-wife was beautiful and a clear cut winner for me.  Even when Kelly and especially Stephanie described it during the design phase, I instantly knew it was probably going to win or at least be top looks.  Those little chips or cracks in her porcelain body and hair, the patina aging and porcelain sheen, and the model's movements, it was just an excellently realized piece from head to toe and fit the sound and challenge parameters perfectly.  Plus, I got flashbacks to playing the (excellent) video game "Bioshock", for some reason... :) 

Like the rest of you it seems, I was expecting the bird creature to be in top looks, not just "safe"; I would have swapped it with the demon.  The combination of Jamie and Emily's craft with Megan's performance skill, it was totally sold to me when she stepped on stage with that background and the pre-created sound.  However, to play devil's advocate (ha!!!) I think it was in top looks because while boring conceptually, the clean body work and the way the 'pins' of the face moved Hellraiser-like when the model opened his mouth and emoted probably gave it extra oomph to the judges, who eat that stuff up.  Meanwhile, the bird creature did have a kind of odd bone structure in the cheeks I'm not wild about- a little too wide and humanoid for a bird creature.

At this point it clinches that Emily is my clear favorite to win, both rooting for and predicting.  She's had her hands on several quality makeups so far, she usually has at least one talking head an episode about a cool fabrication trick she's doing (usually involving hair/headdresses), and now handles challenges and time crunches with more aplomb and less panic. It's like she's transformed from Sasha into Dina in a few episodes right before our eyes, which may be due to the presence of the mentors such as Laura.

One negative note: I don't want to create something out of nothing, so please let me know if I'm way off base, but... is Adam the villain of the season now?  During the Foundation challenge when he won immunity, I thought I hear the sound effect folks toss in a "sproing of confusion" when he took credit for the wig choice as if to suggest he didn't come up with the idea but sort of stole it- but I was too stoned and tired to go back and check. :)  He then seemed unusually difficult as a partner with Regina- although ultimately I blame her, along with her champion coach for not explaining rule 1 of team challenges when one partner has immunity: you either seize control, or go home.  Lastly, even with immunity, he seemed to be tossing Regina under the bus a little during the judging process, when usually the immune person actually tries to take responsibility since, you know... they can't be eliminated.

Again, I could be totally off-base or have mis-read the spoken or body language, but all episode I was getting a feel like he was trying to sabotage and send someone home since he was himself guaranteed safe.

Edited by hincandenza

The doll might not have been the most original, but I wanted it to win right off the bat because it was well done and, most importantly, NOT a monster. I'm so sick of the parade of monsters that any time someone does something non-monstery it automatically gets bonus points.

I felt a little bit bad for Regina. I thought her Joker from last week deserved a lot more attention that it got. However, that alien face was terrible.

• Love 3

bout a cool fabrication trick she's doing (usually involving hair/headdresses),

IIRC, Emily's background is cosmetology school which would certainly explain why she's one of the very few contestants the show has ever had who knew how to wrangle a wig properly, let alone do all those interesting little tricks with hair.

It's always weird to see two reality shows cross paths, especially one that is so classy with one that is so trashy (that was Matthew from ANTM as Logan and Rob's model, right?).

They look very similar, but that is actually a Face/Off model that has been in use for at least three seasons now(He's the tallest and burliest of the guys so he gets used a lot for big monster make ups).

Edited by snakenax

That demon must look a lot better in person.  I didn't even realise it was supposed to be a face worn over the demon's until they explained it. 

I think so much of the problems Regina and Adam had was the fact that it spoke and said weapons system.  That really locked in a sort of direction, and she didn't want to go there. She spent way to much time on that visor though.  The face should be your main focus.  Also since he speaks so that should be part of it too, why does he have a robotic voice.  I would have disfigured the lower part of his face and put a voice box on his neck.  Incorporate it more

• Love 2

Regina did not want to incorporate robotics even though the sound clearly dictated that. As much as Adam should have given her more leeway, I can understand why he'd push for something to represent the sound in order to fulfill the requirements of the challenge. Also, it should be noted that last season when the contestants mentioned that they hadn't done beauty make-ups (for the fairy challenge), the one that embraced it as a chance to do and learn something new won. There was another contestant a season or two back who announced at every talking head during a robot challenge that he doesn't do robots. That was Darrin, I think, and he lost. Regina was stuck in the mindset of, "Can't do fabrication, can't do robots" and failed to seize the challenge as a chance to expand as an artist.  As sorry as I was to see her go,she did not really do what she needed to.

• Love 4

I was also unsurprised Regina went, though I did like her. Among other things, she seemed to have time management issues, which can be the kiss of death on this show. And I HATED that alien/robot thing. Nor did I understand the love over the mask. I also thought that the red death devil dude was going to be in the bottom, but I think I've established over the course of this show that the judges and I rarely, if ever agree, and I usually throw it to them since they know what they are doing. Once I figured out the devil guy, I realized what they had done and thought it was quite cool. But the rest of it was just too darn red for me. Reminded me of how much I hated Cig's Second Chumming guy. Emily/Jamie got a bit robbed. Liked the Bog Creature. Disappointed the concept I loved the most, Darla/Adam, was actually the one that trotted out and I ended up liking the least. Too pastel. And the tummy rolling was the first thing I noticed, too. Loved the clockwork girl. Though, I'm not sure if it was Stella's doll from last season but it reminded me of something else, maybe even earlier than that????? That was a GREAT idea for a challenge, teams or not, and worked out far better than the cards did last week. Also, Kelly= Lita Ford. If it wasn't for that dingleberry in her nose.........And one quick question for all ya'll. I recognize models from all seasons, but you all know their names! That is great, is there a site of "Face Off Models" or something? I'd love names instead of "yeah honey, you know that girl, that one who is blonde, no, not her, she's the brunette.." or "that guy, you know that guy, from last season, he was the ankh looking one?". Conversations with the husband. Thanks!

• Love 1

It seems that the judges do pay attention to the models. After the "Why don't you take a closer look ?" segment, I thought I heard Ve say to Megan (who is my favorite model), "Thanks, Meg".

Yeah,I heard that too! I love the professional camaraderie that's always on display. It's actually making me think this season of The Voice will be the first I skip.

sourpickles, it's not that we know all the models by name, but a few became noteworthy after all these seasons- probably none more so than Megan. She seems to be well-liked and sought after by each season's contestants, she is disproportionately (it seems to me) in top look costumes, and mostly because she's the best at selling the creation through movement and pantomime... as we saw briefly with the bird creature of Emily/Jamie this week. I really hope she gets to meet Doug Jones next week, she deserves it.

• Love 2

Well, phooey. I was hoping someone did! I'm not being sarcastic at all, I just would love to know their names. Megan, she's the blonde with the ponytail, right? And then they mentioned Omar and Kevin. Those I think I have. There are a bunch of others I recognize from previous seasons, and the shots they show of the names on the heads are too brief. I'll have to look it up, but thanks! Also, love Doug Jones. LOVE him. Can't wait to see him.

• Love 1

That porcelain doll was terrific, and I'm glad it won. I definitely agree that the bird-spiky thing should have been top looks.  I though the demon was ok but not as good as they thought it was. It didn't read well in terms of what they tried to do, so I thought it would get dinged on the paint job, not wind up in top looks.  I also liked the torso-faces on the ghost guy, though I didn't like the face-face (heh) nearly as much. I figured that one would be safe though, and the monster would wind up on the bottom, because it just looked less professional than the others.

Also glad to see RJ!

I'm sorry Regina went home, but that makeup was bad. I don't get why Neville liked the plastic face piece so much.  Also, I just noticed her Robot tattoo this week, and it's awesome.  Goodbye, adorable robot tattoo :(

• Love 1

Well, phooey. I was hoping someone did! I'm not being sarcastic at all, I just would love to know their names. Megan, she's the blonde with the ponytail, right? And then they mentioned Omar and Kevin.

I know that the tall black model who was such a big part of season 3-5's line up had her name mentioned several times, but it's been so long since she's been on the show i've completely blanked on it(and i'd love to see her back since she had the kind of proportions made for make up and she seemed to have a ton of fun with it). Also I know Rob Wilson, a current soap hunk, was a model in season one(he was even the winning look of the season with the transforming frog prince).

Okay, so first of all, on the foundation challenge, I thought that blue wig was silly. It's kind of a shame, IMHO, to have a guest judge who just WEARS makeup from time to time picking a winner to give immunity. Not that it's life or death or anything, but immunity!

So much THIS! She gave it to him, because he chose a wig? Seriously? *I* can choose a wig, that wasn't even the best thing about the make-up! Also I think the other team should have won as their foundation was cool and they had harder hands to deal with.

I felt Adam could have cared less this week. He skated by on a wig and then pretty much just blew the challenge off.

They look very similar, but that is actually a Face/Off model that has been in use for at least three seasons now(He's the tallest and burliest of the guys so he gets used a lot for big monster make ups).

No, surely that's Matthew - he worked on the show in season five as well, he says so on Facebook, and I would put money on it being him again this week . . . 

All of the models really sold it this week.

That devil guy just looked like a much worse version of Tim Curry in Legend.

Yes.  I'd have switched Jamie and Stephanie's bird woman with that one if it had been up to me, even though the doll clearly deserved to win as much as I didn't like it.  The model did have a rather impressive set of abs, however.

I really can't believe the Bog Monster was safe.  I get that the judges were impressed with the amount fabrication that went into it (even though Glenn even said some of it was a waste of time), but to me it looked like nothing so much as a cheap haunted-house prop.  I didn't think Darla and Anthony's make-up was that great (although IMO, the bigger problem was Darla's sculpt on the face, not Anthony's chest piece), but I still thought it was the better of those two.

I wish they'd give us a clearer idea of how much the judges are allowed to help.  Anthony and Laura seemed just to be consulting with their team-members, but we saw RJ actually helping Regina with her fabrication.

Can we get Lois to sit in for an episode or two?

I felt Adam could have cared less this week. He skated by on a wig and then pretty much just blew the challenge off.

I don't really see that, he made the fabricated pieces and chest/back for the alien, which were the pieces the judges liked. The problem with the alien was the face sculpt and color palette, both of which were Regina's choices. He didn't take charge of the production, but I thought the general consesus here is that someone with immunity in the team should essentially just GTFO and do what the other person says. That Regina's idea was kind of crap is on her.

• Love 3

I thought the elimination was correct this week... that face was terrible... and it sounded to me like all Regina did the whole episode was point out techniques that she couldn't do.. I don't do fabrication, I don't do robots... I don't to that.. I can't do this... it sort of made me wonder just what exactly she can do. Granted I don't know what her looks have been in the past weeks, since I'm just now finally able to start telling a bit of who is who.... but still, her attitude didn't seem so great, no matter what the immunity guy had to say.

Their sound clearly pointed in a robotic direction, which I think is why her partner suggested it/ pushed for it... but in the end, he did let her make the big decisions. I do think the immunity thing with a team of two is tough. Does the person with immunity completely leave everything up to the other partner? That's not always a good move, since his name is still on that makeup and the judges will still know that he was involved... plus he can get the "this was a terrible idea, why didn't you try and change it/fix it" sort of thing... but I also agree that when you have immunity, you should be a little more flexible, since if your idea is the crap one, you are sending your partner home. But I didn't see that this week... I saw him throw out some ideas and maybe be frustrated that she was so anti-robot, but in the end he followed her plan and turned out the only good components of the look.

Overall, I thought this was a good challenge. I liked the winning look a lot and am also in the camp of thinking the bird look should have been the other top look. The demon was fine, but we see so many of those type of looks, it was boring to me. The bog monster was a mess, but I didn't think it was so bad that it meant one of them should go, so I was okay with that being safe. I did like chest on the ghost sort of one, but that face was wacky...

• Love 1

I wasn't able to sign in for the last two days, but better late than never. Thanks to everyone who answered my model questions. Rob Wilson is Ben on Days Of Our Lives. I love soaps, no judging! I haven't seen season one in so long that I had no inkling that he was on the show at all. I'd love to see Lois come back for an episode or two. She was great. I did think Adam could have been worse about letting Regina run the show. Since the new one airs soon I guess I'll be commenting tomorrow on the next elimination!