Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Cowboy Country

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

When Adam passes on a family ring to convey his feelings for Dana, Beverly can’t seem to accept her little boy having such deep feelings at his age. Meanwhile, new couple Lainey and Barry convinces Murray to watch football with Lainey’s dad. They soon realize the fathers root for opposing teams and Barry is left to decide between his love for the Eagles and his love for Lainey. 

This show takes place in the '80's, right? I don't watch it regularly, but this week someone used the expression "that sucks" and another week the mom said "awesome." Pretty sure those expressions were not around in the 1980's.

This show takes place in the '80's, right? I don't watch it regularly, but this week someone used the expression "that sucks" and another week the mom said "awesome." Pretty sure those expressions were not around in the 1980's.

Both expressions were around in the 80's. I was in college in the early 80's and remember "awesome" being overused by many.  That sucks or you suck was more of a later 80's thing.  Although Google says it started being used frequently in the late 70's.  There was a poster for a Vietnam movie, can't remember which one, in the late 80's that had "war sucks" or something to that effect on it, and I remember it was considered controversial because for many of the older generation, that expression had a sexual connotation.  Goldberg has stated in interviews that he uses things from different parts of the 80's and sometimes throws them together in the same episode.  That's why the narration always says "...it was 1980-something."  

I really like Barry and Lainey together.  I think its sweet how Barry has gone from her best friends goofy brother that she was embarrassed to be seen with to someone she wants to have meet and get to know her dad.  The actor does a great job in his portrayal of Barry.  He's kinda cute in a nerdy way.

Edited by lark37
  • Love 4

I like Barry and Lainey also.  I am a little confused that the parents have never met given that Lainey has been best friends with the sister for a long time (sorry...completely blanking on her name!).  Not that they would get together, but that they would have exchanged pleasantries here and there.  

• Love 2

Yeah, I was surprised about Murry not meeting Lainey's friend if Erica and Lainey have been BFs for at least a good three years. That means they would have had to still be driven at places. Of course, given how much Murry is very anti-social with those kind of meetings it shouldn't surprise me. I was so understanding Adam's situation and even Dana's. I wasn't that late of a bloomer but I started 7th grade, I look like I belong in 5th grade. Then some how between 7th and 8th I started looking the part and by the time I was a freshman, I looked the part. However, I had a few friends that in the course of a few months or summer went from looking like little girls to jumping the age gap from puberty in no time flat. In fact, I have two students that do not look like 6th graders but more like sophomores in high school but they just turned 12 but strange things happen with some boys and girls when puberty hits. 

I loved Adam having to be carried down from the water tower, swaddled by the fire department. I alo thought it was sweet that Dana preferred the Green Lantern ring and playing video games with Adam. However, my favorite part of the episode? CaCAW!

• Love 1

Water Tower! An actual place in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia! (Very close to Jenkintown and Adam's school, Penn Charter, was also close it it.) Man, I love the authentic references this show has. I was too big a dork to ever go to Water Tower after dark and most parties were on the Cricket Club golf course. (Again, too dorky to go.) Still, awesome warm fuzzy feelings from this show.

• Love 2
I am a little confused that the parents have never met given that Lainey has been best friends with the sister for a long time (sorry...completely blanking on her name!).  Not that they would get together, but that they would have exchanged pleasantries here and there.

My mother knew all of my friends' mothers, but my father only knew any friends' parents who were neighbors.   If he ever drove me to someone's house he'd pull into the driveway or along the curb and wait in the car until I got into the house.  My mother, on the other hand, was at PTA meetings, school holiday parties, field trips, etc and got to know the other mothers at those events.  So it didn't seem strange to me at all that Murray had never met Lanie's father.

• Love 2

Oh I agree, my wife's father was a lot like that too when she was growing up. He did meet parents after dropping her off because he wanted to see what they were like after a while. So, its not completely unheard of and as I said too, this is Murray we are talking about here. If doesn't see a point to it, he isn't going to try.

Being a die-hard Cowboys fan, I really enjoyed this episode. I even made my significant other (other what I'm not sure), watch the part with Lainey's dad.  It was beyond awesome to both of us.  But I had to wonder why a Philly person would not be an Eagles fan?  Not a native perhaps??

I love the song from the end, Romeo and Juliet, so instant points from me! Listening to it again right now...

I got so happy the moment I heard those beginning notes, but also weirded out because it was while Adam was with his mom. Then it became clear she was taking him to see Dana--phew!

I remember "sucks" and how it was something a lot of parents had big problems with.

The eagle "ca-CAW!" reminds me of Arrested Development.

Adam said his mom believed something (that he was a big man?), and Erica retorted that she also believes Barry can become a doctor, which actually happened!

I let out a loud "aw!" at seeing how small the real Adam was as a sophomore. That had to have been tough.

"Adam just proposed to his mom and she accepted!"

"That's not what happened!"

"Oh, she said no!"

• Love 3

Both expressions were around in the 80's. I was in college in the early 80's and remember "awesome" being overused by many.  That sucks or you suck was more of a later 80's thing.  Although Google says it started being used frequently in the late 70's.  There was a poster for a Vietnam movie, can't remember which one, in the late 80's that had "war sucks" or something to that effect on it, and I remember it was considered controversial because for many of the older generation, that expression had a sexual connotation.  Goldberg has stated in interviews that he uses things from different parts of the 80's and sometimes throws them together in the same episode.  That's why the narration always says "...it was 1980-something."  

"Disco sucks" was from the 70s

• Love 2

I think "awesome" was fully mainstream after Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Spicoli.  It was pretty much interchangeable with "radical" back then.

The whole ordeal at the water tower probably made me laugh harder than I ever have with this show.  Who else noticed the "JTP" graffiti? 

Uninterestingly enough, much like the story in this episode, the Dana of my high school class (really pretty, athletic, popular, cheerleader, etc.) dated a shrimpy, unathletic guy like Adam. 

I liked the bit with Adam and Bev where he talked about how he just didn't like how he was and she told him that it's just something he'd have to struggle with for a little while.  It makes me wish it could be that straightforward for every kid growing up.  Poor, poor puny real life tenth grade Adam.

Edited by Starscream
  • Love 2

Things were "totally awesome" in the 80s!  Things also sucked.  I know that word was around because I got in trouble for saying it in front of my mom. I feel like this show is always spot on with the 80s references.

As a Philadelphian, I really enjoyed the passion with which Barry said, "DALLAS SUCKS!"   It was perfect.

• Love 2

The whole ordeal at the water tower probably made me laugh harder than I ever have with this show.  Who else noticed the "JTP" graffiti? 

I missed that! Thanks!

Does this show actually tape in Philly?  If so, that's amazing.  But I heard it tapes in L.A.

No, it's done in California.

OMG I just about lost it with the whole water tower tower sequence. From Adam running out of paint at that time (Adam hearts Dan), to having to be swaddled down by firefighters, culminating in him getting the weekly bleep (which has always gone to Bev and is my favorite recurring joke).

"Wooo you ok bro?"

"Of fuck off Dan"

Love this show.

• Love 3

Sorry to burst your bubble, but both were.  "Awesome" grew out of surf culture in California.  And with "awesome" at the very least it's rise to major nationwide  exposure (if not it's origin) can even specifically be pegged to that decade--the 1980 book "The Official Preppy Handbook" (yeah, I know I just got done saying it was a surf-word, nevertheless that "preppy" book was it's first heavy nationwide use).  And then, yes, as Starscream mentioned "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" really put the use of the word into full gear.  

As for "sucks"?  It became big in the early 80s and I think everyone probably unconsciously knows when and where and just may not have it in the front of their brains.  Think... there's a phrase EVERYONE eventually knew in the 80s (whether they agreed with it or not) that included the word "sucks" in it...

"Disco Sucks".

The push-back against Disco started in the late 70s and in the next few years went full-bore.  The phrase "Disco Sucks" was so common it was even on T-shirts and bumper stickers.  Google something in 1979 called "Disco Demolition Night", where "Disco Sucks" was a key slogan, and you'll see.  From that it spread to the rest of the country pretty quickly.

1ZK5wgo.jpgqpHyq0s.jpglExBZxu.jpgCf2Bpyi.jpg

Love this show.

It's almost redundant to say "that was a great episode", because with only a few exceptions we wind up saying that with EVERY Goldberg's episode.  And yet... that WAS a great episode.  It had both great Adam AND Barry sub-plots, which always builds a good episode.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

But I had to wonder why a Philly person would not be an Eagles fan? 

I'm a Philly person...I love the Phillies but can't stomach the Eagles or Flyers.  Regardless, LOVED ca-caw, since I can't stomach the Cowboys either :)  That being said, I would NEVER invite someone local to watch hockey with me all decked out in my Devils gear while I go on to trash talk the Flyers.

Edited by ByTor

Ha! I remember the Omnibot. And really wanted one.

As a Giants fan both Murray and Bill and all Eagles and Cowboys fans are free to destroy each other leaving the NFC East to us ;)

A Green Lantern ring aint' nothing to sneeze at. The world is only limited by your will and imagination when you have one of those suckers.

Oh God, he was walking on his tip toes down the hall with her!  Poor thing.