Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

At least this year there’s no more GoT, right?

I always feel a little twinge of something like guilt when I vote for only the shows I know when some of the other shows have had a lot of positive reviews. Like this year, I didn’t watch WandaVision. 

I don't think you should feel even the slightest twinge of guilt. 😇

First, it's not as if we're Emmy Awards' voters here, where someone's future career track could hinge on an Emmy win or loss. Were I an Emmy voter, I'd try my very best to watch every nominated show, although I'm sure there are Emmy voters who don't care all that much and vote for friends, co-workers or for someone they think can be beneficial to their own careers.

Also there are few, if any, collective consciousness shows now compared to decades past. Back in the pre-cable (or even early cable when many households didn't have it) days, there truly were shows that everyone watched: All in the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H and so on. Even today's mega-hit shows don't pull in the kind of viewership numbers that those shows did on a regular basis. Everybody's watching something different.

As for the Primetimers themselves, I highly doubt that most people have seen even a quarter of the shows/performances/moments that are nominated in each category. Many categories have the maximum number of 25 nominations. There's NO WAY people have seen all of them or even a majority of them.

Vote for your favorites. Everyone else will!  (And that's coming from a WandaVision fan.😉)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've already voted in the "Greatest Show of All Time" category and can no longer see this year's nominees. Is Jeopardy! nominated? Because if it isn't, we need to fix that next year!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I've already voted in the "Greatest Show of All Time" category and can no longer see this year's nominees. Is Jeopardy! nominated? Because if it isn't, we need to fix that next year!

No, I'm 99.99999% sure Jeopardy was not nominated for GOAT. 

Okay, I'm noting it on my Outlook calendar for June 1, 2022 (close enough, right?). 
But I hope others will also make reminders in case mine doesn't work. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Dragging this over from the current episodes thread:

21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is it true that no one can begin a story anymore without "So..." being the first word?

--wanted to share (and perhaps amuse all y'all) that in the mid 1990s, when I was librarian at a girls college prep Catholic high school where the girls took turns leading the school in prayer over the intercom, after one such prayer, Principal Sr. Helen Timothy remarked drily that it was the first time she heard a prayer begin with "So" as in "So in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit...." 
Hee!
Sr. Helen was cool. 
So cool they more or less banished her. 
But then the school shut down without her able guidance, and I just Googled her, and she is doing very well.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 6/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, shapeshifter said:

Dragging this over from the current episodes thread:

--wanted to share (and perhaps amuse all y'all) that in the mid 1990s, when I was librarian at a girls college prep Catholic high school where the girls took turns leading the school in prayer over the intercom, after one such prayer, Principal Sr. Helen Timothy remarked drily that it was the first time she heard a prayer begin with "So" as in "So in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit...." 
Hee!

One of my students starts every sentence with "So, basically..." He's a sensitive kid so I don't call him out on it, but it can be either amusing or extremely irritating, depending on my mood.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

One of my students starts every sentence with "So, basically..." He's a sensitive kid so I don't call him out on it, but it can be either amusing or extremely irritating, depending on my mood.

Sounds like you are a good teacher, @GreekGeek ☺️
Considering that my still favorite President is known for including "uh" in nearly every phrase when talking, there should be hope for you student --both with regards to eliminating his begin-of-sentence tic, and perhaps becoming POTUS some day. 😄
Sister Helen wisely appreciated that the student was willing to step up and speak to the community about social justice projects, and did not do anything else about the student's sentence-leading "So" beyond acknowledging awareness of it. 

Related: Recently a former coworker and I were gossiping about how our former boss was good at our jobs but a terrible boss. My now-80-year-old former coworker astutely remarked that good bosses lead rather than boss.

• Love 3

I absolutely cannot tolerate the trend of starting sentences with "so" or "um."  I have worked on my public speaking for years (nothing formal, just being observant), and I pause and think before every sentence so that I don't sound like an idiot.

Truthfully, when I hear someone start a sentence with "so" I can't be bothered to listen to whatever comes after it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I pause and think before every sentence so that I don't sound like an idiot.

Man, then don't ever get on Jeopardy or you will be raked mercilessly for pausing before every sentence.

• LOL 6

If I ever went on J! (which I wouldn't) I wouldn't have to pause and think before selecting a category and dollar amount.  I would not say "so, I'll take Rice for $200."  I also wouldn't point, sway, mumble, or the other things that we hate.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

If I ever went on J! (which I wouldn't) I wouldn't have to pause and think before selecting a category and dollar amount.  I would not say "so, I'll take Rice for $200."  I also wouldn't point, sway, mumble, or the other things that we hate.

But would you draw a cute picture on your nameplate, or make a shoutout to your cousin's daughter's best friend on your FJ response?  Because I hear folks love that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have no particular comment on their clothes, some outfits have been really nice, some horrible, but for the love of God, if you can't walk in those giant heels, stop wearing them!!  Watching Savannah Guthrie try to plod across the stage in those things looks ridiculous.

There's a Verizon commercial with that Kate chick who's in the Tostitos ads, too.  The way she clomps around in those red heels - is that a joke or is that how she really thinks women walk in high heels? 

45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There's a Verizon commercial with that Kate chick who's in the Tostitos ads, too.  The way she clomps around in those red heels - is that a joke or is that how she really thinks women walk in high heels? 

I'm not familiar. But I do know that today's heels are much worse than when I last wore heels, much higher and steeper. I don't really see how anyone can walk elegantly in them.

Thanks to problem feet, I wear new balance exercise shoes exclusively. I will never go back - even if my feet and knees would let me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not familiar. But I do know that today's heels are much worse than when I last wore heels, much higher and steeper. I don't really see how anyone can walk elegantly in them.

Thanks to problem feet, I wear new balance exercise shoes exclusively. I will never go back - even if my feet and knees would let me.

My feet don’t allow me to wear pretty shoes👠 so I didn’t notice how she walked, but when my daughter was a teen she learned from her stepmother to walk “toe heel” in high heels. I’ll try to see if Savannah does that tonight. 
If I must look “formal,” it’s with “ballet” flats. 
New Balance are okay, but Altra are better. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

when my daughter was a teen she learned from her stepmother to walk “toe heel” in high heels. 

In that case, she taught her backwards - it's heel, toe.

Walking in high heels is a skill that atrophies with lack of use.  I work out of my home office (even pre-pandemic), so I spend most of my life barefoot.  When I put on heels, if it has been a while since the last time, I have to take a moment to readjust.  I haven't worn heels since March 2020, so I hope I don't wind up with a twisted ankle next time I put some on.  I'll have to start with a pair with a thicker heel.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

when my daughter was a teen she learned from her stepmother to walk “toe heel” in high heels. 

In that case, she taught her backwards - it's heel, toe.

Walking in high heels is a skill that atrophies with lack of use.  I work out of my home office (even pre-pandemic), so I spend most of my life barefoot.  When I put on heels, if it has been a while since the last time, I have to take a moment to readjust.  I haven't worn heels since March 2020, so I hope I don't wind up with a twisted ankle next time I put some on.  I'll have to start with a pair with a thicker heel.

Well, that certainly makes more sense. This advice was dispensed pre-Google, so likely my daughter misunderstood and/or her stepmother said it wrong. I will ask her about it, but likely she will claim she never said that. 🤷🏻‍♀️

(edited)
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

New Balance are okay, but Altra are better. 

I'll check into Altra, thanks, but my New Balances fit my several bad feet needs. Though they have the bad habit of changing models, and rarely for the better.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

IMO, high heels were invented by men to make women into sex objects. I've never worn them, never will. When I was involved with the ERA, we called them slut struts. Because that's exactly what they are.

Pee Wee Herman shoes, now those are okay. Tequila!

As for hesitating to buy a big tub of ice cream, try this: Divide it all into smaller cups/tubs to store in your freezer. That's what I do. Then when I am craving ice cream, I just reach in and pull out a one-size-fits-all small cup instead of the huge carton. If you are REALLY craving, you can take another little cup but I've found one always does the trick. If it works for me, it can work for you too!

• Love 3

I just voted in the Primetimer Awards and skipped the categories where I didn’t know any of the nominees. I did however, make sure to vote for Dr Oz in the Brain Bleach: Worst Tv Moment (paraphrased) category. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just voted in the Primetimer Awards and skipped the categories where I didn’t know any of the nominees. I did however, make sure to vote for Dr Oz in the Brain Bleach: Worst Tv Moment (paraphrased) category. 

Yes, here's the link: forums.primetimer.com/topic/119998-pass-the-brain-bleach-least-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year/
--for:

• "Pass the Brain Bleach: Least Favorite TV Moment of the Year"
    for those who care to select:
    • Jeopardy! - Dr. Oz acts as the guest host 

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'll check into Altra, thanks, but my New Balances fit my several bad feet needs. Though they have the bad habit of changing models, and rarely for the better.

Yes, "better" is not really a thing with shoes, is it? LOL
It was a change of New Balance style that brought me to Altra. 
But then a change in the Altra style sent me back to NB, but I just bought Altra again. 

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, "better" is not really a thing with shoes, is it? LOL

It was a change of New Balance style that brought me to Altra. 
But then a change in the Altra style sent me back to NB, but I just bought Altra again. 

I just want to mention Vionic shoes. I get mine at OrthoticShop.com

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

For sneakers to wear on my nightly walks, I like Saucony.  Sadly, it seems the less attractive they are, the better they feel on my feet, but for walking the neighborhood in grubby exercise clothes, I don't care about style - one pair of old lady white sneaks, please.

I have nearly half a dozen different sandals from Spring Step because they are as comfortable as they are cute.  After a friend borrowed a pair, she went out and bought a few.  My mom has a pair as well.  Unfortunately, a couple of my favorite styles are no longer available, but they still have a nice selection.

Clarks makes comfortable heels; it takes some patience to find a style I like with them, because they tend heavily towards the basics, but if I'm going to be spending a lot of time standing in court, they're the ones I want to do it in.  Cole Haan is another good choice for basic heels that feel great, but Clarks are less expensive. 

A friend introduced me to Dream Pairs, which offers heels in cute styles at low prices, but, of course, the flip side is it's harder to find ones that are comfortable.

• Useful 2

I used to be able to wear Clarks and Saucony, but since the growth of some sort of arthritis on top of one foot over the last decade, they no longer work for me. Sadly, neither do Keens, but they are very comfortable for most and have styles good for librarians or similar jobs.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I still love my Reeboks, in the style I've worn since the 80s, and that I wear nearly every day.  I also love my Merrill hiking shoes and my Keen sandals.  

*Sigh* I used to be able to wear Reebocks and Merrills too. Mom like to tell how when I was a kid she'd come home in tears from a failed  shoe shopping trip with me and send Dad back out with me. I had a lot of bloody heels and went through a lot of Band-Aids. I was glad that by the time I was buying shoes for kids in the 80s the shoes were actually foot shaped.

• Love 3

I have a number of problems with my feet that require certain features in a shoe - even with an custom insert. So many of those great, comfortable shoes just don't work for me. Sandals are hard, because my feet need to firmly stable, and the toes and sides of shoes help that. I will look into a few of the mentions here - because I've been putting off buying a replacement to my New Balances, because the last pair I bought were really comfortable on the foot - but pulled on a ligament (with or without the insert). So I'm glad this conversation got started!

• Love 1

Mom would always encourage me to buy 2 pairs if I found some that didn't hurt. 

I wouldn't buy more than that though, because I recall some of those "slides" with soft low heels from the 90s that dissolved in about 10 years. I slipped on a pair to go to work one spring day and was suddenly walking on un-soled shoes. I went back to the closet and found the other 2 pairs the same (I had black, white, and tan). I can't recall the brand, maybe someone else? I may have bought them at Penneys or Kohls or Carsons.

• Love 1

I had knee replacement surgery in 2001 and for about 10 years after that, still was in pain. My orthopedist couldn't understand it - my FauxKnee was a textbook example. One day a co-worker said to me, "You walk funny."  Turns out I was pronating. I went to that kiosk in CVS and it told me which Dr. Scholl semi-custom orthotic to wear inside my shoes. Once my feet & ankles straightened out with the arch support, my knee stopped hurting. I'm a bit disturbed my doc didn't think about that. 

THEN my SIL told me about Vionic, with built-in arch support. They are fabulously comfortable shoes.  However, my latest pair of slip-ons also do the "sock slip-down" Even the PEDS footies worn with that pair of shoes slide off my heel and end up bunched up under my arch. Talk about arch support! Still, they are VERY comfortable, stable shoes. Only my winter boots and my Wellies are not Vionic.  They do make heels, etc., but my knee cries out in anger if I try to wear any kind of elevated shoe.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/17/2021 at 9:40 PM, zoey1996 said:

We’re going (to Chincoteague) end of June for my 70th birthday. I’ll be interested in how things are there. Have a good time!

We’re here! Made it across the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnels without incident. Had lunch at the Great Machipongo Clam Shack. For dinner, we had a time finding a place open with availability. We got in at Maria’s, a seafood/Italian restaurant. Fried oysters for the second time today, followed by a cup of birthday cake ice cream at Island Creamery.

Tomorrow I’m taking a guided walk in downtown Chincoteague and making reservations for Tuesday & Wednesday dinners. 
We miss our Chinnies so much, but I’m sure they are OK. And we’re having a good time.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 12

Regarding Moms' birth years & their sensitivity about their age...

I was in first grade and some PTA lady asked me how old my mom was (cheeky!)  I told her, "She told me to tell people she's 16, but I know she's really 39."  The older she got, the less defensive she got about her age.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I told her, "She told me to tell people she's 16, but I know she's really 39." 

When my mother was 93 we had a little birthday party for her with a 9 and a 3 candles on the cake.  She asked when I could use them again and I told her I'd use them the next time I turned 39.  She thought that was hilarious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What are Chinnies?

I'm so happy you are having a great birthday @zoey1996, you deserve it. I also hope the weather is good out there. Let us know if you see any ponies! And take a few photos to share with us.

birthday.thumb.jpg.a4fe7edb7b513d34d3d0911fe183721d.jpg

Japanese Chin. We have 3, ages 12, 14, & 15. We have had Chin, two or more at a time, for 30 years. Most we had at one time was 7 including a foster, all rescues.

So far weather has been good, warm/hot and humid. Pool felt good this afternoon. Pictures will get shared when we’re home. Thank you for the birthday wishes!

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Regarding Moms' birth years & their sensitivity about their age...

I was in first grade and some PTA lady asked me how old my mom was (cheeky!)  I told her, "She told me to tell people she's 16, but I know she's really 39."  The older she got, the less defensive she got about her age.

I didn't have my children until I was 33 and 38 respectively. So I've usually been the oldest mom in my kids' friend group.  It didn't really bother me until we were at a gathering/camp out, and for some reason the topic of age came up, and my daughter piped up "My mom's the oldest mom here!" 

That was embarrassing,  but I guess it was payback when my parents and I were at a circus when I was my daughter's age. There was a trapeze artist who was suspended just by the grip of her teeth on a bar (spinning around, as I recall). I piped up and said "Mom couldn't do that - she doesn't have teeth!"  (Mom had to wear dentures starting in her late 20s)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Dr. Oz guest hosting J! won that least favorite moment category, with 37% of the vote (83 votes).  That made for a decisive victory; runner up (something from This Is Us) got 18% (40 votes).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Dr. Oz guest hosting J! won that least favorite moment category, with 37% of the vote (83 votes).  That made for a decisive victory; runner up (something from This Is Us) got 18% (40 votes).

From the categories where I can see the results--you can only see results for categories in which you voted--it was by far the largest margin of victory, more than 2:1. (I voted in a good majority of the categories.) For anyone who voted and would like to see the full results, here's the direct link:  https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119998-pass-the-brain-bleach-least-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year/?tab=comments#comment-6851721

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

From the categories where I can see the results--you can only see results for categories in which you voted--it was by far the largest margin of victory, more than 2:1. (I voted in a good majority of the categories.) For anyone who voted and would like to see the full results, here's the direct link:  https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119998-pass-the-brain-bleach-least-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year/?tab=comments#comment-6851721

I voted for it, but now that I look more closely at the descriptions of some I didn't watch, I'm not sure Oz on Jeopardy was really the Brain Bleach Neediest moment:

image.thumb.png.a94231d8c8b27652b1e21a5060d837c0.png

• Useful 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

From the categories where I can see the results--you can only see results for categories in which you voted--it was by far the largest margin of victory, more than 2:1.

I can't see the results even though I voted in the category! I've looked at several that I know I voted in, and can't see any of them. 😢

Or was there a second round of voting? Maybe I voted in the preliminary poll to determine the finalists?

Edited by zoey1996
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Or was there a second round of voting? Maybe I voted in the preliminary poll to determine the finalists?

Yes, there are always two rounds of voting - the first round whittles all the nominees down to the top five, and then the final round produces a winner and a runner-up from those five.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I voted for it, but now that I look more closely at the descriptions of some I didn't watch, I'm not sure Oz on Jeopardy was really the Brain Bleach Neediest moment:

image.thumb.png.a94231d8c8b27652b1e21a5060d837c0.png

Agreed. The Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne moments were certainly worthy contenders for this title. The fictional nominees in this category paled in comparison to those from real-life.

• Love 1
(edited)

I’ve been fiddling with this for about 45 minutes, first to get it small enough, and then to rotate it, but failed. I may try to post a couple more later. We had a good trip.
This is the Misty statue at the downtown waterfront park on Chincoteague. 

C425ACBA-30EF-4F19-9C06-BB2D550FC4E0.jpeg

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 8