Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

43 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I’ve been fiddling with this for about 45 minutes, first to get it small enough, and then to rotate it, but failed. I may try to post a couple more later. We had a good trip.
This is the Misty statue at the downtown waterfront park on Chincoteague. 

C425ACBA-30EF-4F19-9C06-BB2D550FC4E0.jpeg

Looks like you had a gorgeous day!  I like that little park.

• Love 2
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Looks like you had a gorgeous day!  I like that little park.

The weather was typical for late June, warm/hot and humid, but no rain until we were almost home on Thursday.

F332FA59-E1DD-4BE2-A6D2-2952437CCE25.jpeg

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The weather was typical for late June, warm/hot and humid, but no rain until we were almost home on Thursday.

a little better?

Capture.PNG
And now smaller!   
Thanks to @saber5055
(see below)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I’ve been fiddling with this for about 45 minutes, first to get it small enough, and then to rotate it, but failed.

Here, I helped you with it since I was the one asking for photos. I read all the Misty books when I was a kid. I started saving for a horse when I was five years old. Ten years later, I had enough ($150!) to buy my first horse. I've had them in my life ever since, except for a few years in college, when I rode show horses for other people.

misty.jpg.ac0f4d469c1251092110044b93b185ee.jpg

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

a little better?

LOL! It's a bigger better.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

How do you do that!

I work with Photoshop all day, every day so this was less than two seconds of "effort" for me. There are some free softwares that allow you to manipulate photos, including rotating. I'll ask a friend who uses freebees. I also lightened Misty's face a bit so we could see it better.

In my browser, to make a photo smaller, once the image is loaded into the reply window, I click on the image and little white squares appear on all four corners. I click on the lower right one and then, holding that white-button corner down with my mouse, I drag the corner up and to the left to reduce the photo. Sometimes it works the first try, sometimes I have to try multiple times before the window decides "okay, now I'll let you reduce your photo."

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

In my browser, to make a photo smaller, once the image is loaded into the reply window, I click on the image and little white squares appear on all four corners. I click on the lower right one and then, holding that white-button corner down with my mouse, I drag the corner up and to the left to reduce the photo. Sometimes it works the first try, sometimes I have to try multiple times before the window decides "okay, now I'll let you reduce your photo."

I don’t have that option on my iPhone or my PC laptop. I’m guessing that’s a Mac-only feature?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don’t have that option on my iPhone or my PC laptop. I’m guessing that’s a Mac-only feature?

I checked in Firefox and Chrome, each browser uses a different theme for the Primetimer site. But I discovered something just now ... double click on the image you just uploaded and this window (below) will pop up. Change the size in the blue-highlighted window to a smaller size (make sure "Keep original ratio" is checked, and the image will reduce to the size you choose. You cannot make it larger than the image you uploaded, but you can reduce it and then put it back to original size later if you wish.

I don't have a smart phone but I'd guess this would work on a PC laptop. Different browsers and different themes for viewing Primetimer display differently (I'm using IPS Default here in Firefox), but the double-click image and pop-up window should work on every browser and theme. Try it!

resize.png.910ca86b0fc74ac00829302234579b9d.png

• Useful 3

My first problem was reducing file size. I'd taken the pictures on my iPhone. I found a free app that let me reduce the file size enough, but then the rotation became the issue. I'll try later to post some more pics on my pc. Maybe that will work better.

Anyway, thanks for the likes, comments, and assistance for getting Misty on her feet!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Anyway, thanks for the likes, comments, and assistance for getting Misty on her feet!

Is that "Misty"? I remember reading "Misty of Chincoteague" as a tween. Several of us got into drawing horses. They have such graceful lines -- like a French curve on a protractor, but better.
1760258527_lovehorsescopy.thumb.png.80e2119aa7fa4865f6c2ff705cb0742a.png

and thanks again @saber5055 for showing me how to resize!

• Love 4

Brief trip report - arrived on Chincoteague Monday, June 28. We had no idea how busy it would be. It mainly made it difficult to find a restaurant open that could accommodate us. Maria's (Italian/seafood) could, and we enjoyed dinner there.

Tuesday morning I took a guided walk with Cindy from A Step Through Time. It was a downtown history walk starting at the LOVE chairs in the Robert Reed Waterfront Park. Cindy was a good guide, telling about the history of some of the buildings, fires, and floods that affected the island. We even got to sit in a rocker at Miss Molly's Inn, where Marguerite Henry began researching Misty, very charming!

In the afternoon, we had lunch at the Chincoteague Diner, and then walked over to the Chincoteague Museum.  It's a nice little museum, and now has the taxidermied remains of Misty and Stormy, with a little history of how Misty's story spread far and wide, and also some pony penning history.

Having learned from our experience the night before, we'd made reservations for Bill's and Don's for Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Both had very good food and service, and were good choices for us.

On my birthday Wednesday, I drove over to Assateague to the beach areas.  I sat at a picnic table facing Chincoteague Bay, listened to my birthday playlist, and gazed over the water. A horseshoe crab got close enough to shore for some families to see up close. Kids were pretty amazed! Tom's Cove center was open, but the Bateman Center was still closed. Later in the afternoon, when the wildlife loop was open to vehicles, Mr. Zoey and I drove back to Assateague and drove the loop. Saw some waterfowl, but no wild ponies this time. 

We left early, well for us, we're not early risers, around 10 a.m., and drove up to Snow Hill and visited Furnace Town Historic Site, the 19th century village of the Nassawango Iron Furnace. It used to have demonstrations on a regular basis of the various crafts, etc., but demonstrations are on a very limited basis due to Covid. We had time for just a short visit because we needed to return to Williamsburg to pick up our Japanese Chin from the kennel.  Traffic was bad on I-64 beginning with the approach to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, and moved steadily but slowly nearly to Williamsburg. Our Chin were very happy to see us, and we were happy to see them too.

OK, maybe not so brief! Thanks for reading!

• Love 10

3 hours ago, nokat said:

It's Jeopardy first, then Wheel of Fortune, which I consider a guilty pleasure.

I did not mean any insult. I'm not always the best at Jeopardy, so watching something I'm better at makes me feel less dumb.

I know what you mean. I do not understand why people buy vowels when it's obvious what they're gonna be. WHY spend that money?

Now that they're doing that "secret santa" thing in July, I make my own fun by trying to guess the person's name. The SS number is their initials and a 7-digit number.  Tonight, they had a DS.... I yelled out, "DANA SCULLY!"  but the person's name was Donna S.  I was very disappointed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, nokat said:

Do any of you like to dumb it down a bit and watch Wheel of Fortune so you feel smarter after missing the final?

No, but the dumb quiz show that most closely (IMO) mirrors Jeopardy! is Funny You Should Ask, which airs in my market an hour before Jeopardy! on the CW. Occasionally they accidentally get a somewhat educated contestant who wins the maximum $6K+, but the main criteria for their contestants seems to be attractive and not appearing to be over 30.

I started watching Family Feud when I was on chemotherapy, and have been able to gage my level of residual brain fog by continuing to watch it sporadically. I have to turn the volume way down now, and Steve Harvey’s “there are 2 answers left, and if either is there, you win…” makes me cringe. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm watching the Match Game because I can't sleep. Is there a bigger, sexist, horse's ass than Gene Rayburn?  Is there anyone as enamored of herself than Brett Somers? What odious people. But Fannie Flagg & Juliet Prowse are on this one, so I'll watch it. I've always liked Prowse. She's so down-to-earth.

• Love 2

I find watching the old Match Game to be a kind of archaeological dig through the anthropology and sociology of the 1970s. It can be fun to guess what would be a likely response for that time period.

The sexism and racism are cringe inducing, but also unvarnished examples of the time. But there seems to be an unspoken support for and camaraderie with the gay actors who were regulars on the show, which was a bit progressive for the time.

The place where I get repulsed and have to turn it off is the cannibal questions. Same with the modern Family Feud, but I think they may finally be leaving those behind. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I know what you mean. I do not understand why people buy vowels when it's obvious what they're gonna be. WHY spend that money?

Agreed!  It kills me when they buy a vowel and waste their money.  It also bugs me when they clearly know what the puzzle is, and they know it has several of a letter, but they pick a single letter when they land on a huge dollar amount.  If you know the word is "happiness", and you land on the $2500 slot, don't pick "H"!

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That has always puzzled me. I used to watch it because although I didn't like the trappings, the word puzzles were fun. I also watched back in the day when there were awful prizes instead of money - a big dog statue is one that sticks in my mind, I think it's from Wheel.

I liked Family Feud when Ray Combs was the host (such a sad end, it broke my heart). The questions are silly - but the deal is you don't really have to know, you just have to guess what other people would say. I wasn't never much good at it. I'm not in tune with the majority of people asked, apparently.

Richard Karn wasn't bad either. But Ray was my favorite. Dawson was creepy even to my teen eyes at the time it originally aired, and Steve Harvey is just a bit too much.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

a big dog statue is one that sticks in my mind, I think it's from Wheel.

Definitely from Wheel.  And you had to spend as much of your winnings as you could, so nearly everyone ended up with a giant ceramic dog.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I liked Family Feud when Ray Combs was the host (such a sad end, it broke my heart). The questions are silly - but the deal is you don't really have to know, you just have to guess what other people would say. I wasn't never much good at it. I'm not in tune with the majority of people asked, apparently.

I hardly ever watched the show, but I used to play the Family Feud game that was part of Microsoft's game package.  That was short-lived, though, because it quickly became clear I do not respond to those questions the same way most people do.  I could usually get the number one answer, although it was often my second or third answer, but probably half of my other answers didn't even appear.  I was better in the final round, but it just wasn't very fun to play, so I quit.

• Love 3

I used to work with a woman who had been on "Concentration" (maybe in the 70s) and had won a washing machine and a couch.  The washer was long gone by the time I met her, but I got to sit on the couch. Wish I had asked who the host was then.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Driad said:

I used to work with a woman who had been on "Concentration" (maybe in the 70s) and had won a washing machine and a couch.  The washer was long gone by the time I met her, but I got to sit on the couch. Wish I had asked who the host was then.

1973-78 (syndication)---Jack Narz. Buzzr TV shows the 1976 ones at 8am (Central time) M-F. As opposed to "Classic Concentration" (1986-89 ish) with Alex (which is currently airing at 7pm (Central) M-F). If she got a couch and a washing machine, she was lucky. Other "prizes" on the 76 version included: coffee, cough drops, scotch tape, "macaroni" and "macaroni dinner" (the difference being that "macaroni" was boxes of noodles, whereas "macaroni dinner" was more like a box of "Kraft macaroni & cheese")

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was watching an old Tales of Wells Fargo this afternoon, and one of the credited actors was Kit Carson! No, not that Kit Carson, Eldridge “Kit” Carson. Born 1909, died 1978, actor and dancer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 7/17/2021 at 5:32 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Is there a bigger, sexist, horse's ass than Gene Rayburn?

Alec Baldwin

23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I also watched back in the day when there were awful prizes instead of money - a big dog statue is one that sticks in my mind, I think it's from Wheel.

Or the 'etagere' which to me was just a fancy word for shelving unit.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:
On 7/17/2021 at 5:32 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Is there a bigger, sexist, horse's ass than Gene Rayburn?

Alec Baldwin

I was about to say that until I reread and noticed the middle adjective.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:00 AM, shapeshifter said:

No, but the dumb quiz show that most closely (IMO) mirrors Jeopardy! is Funny You Should Ask, which airs in my market an hour before Jeopardy! on the CW. Occasionally they accidentally get a somewhat educated contestant who wins the maximum $6K+, but the main criteria for their contestants seems to be attractive and not appearing to be over 30.

I started watching Family Feud when I was on chemotherapy, and have been able to gage my level of residual brain fog by continuing to watch it sporadically. I have to turn the volume way down now, and Steve Harvey’s “there are 2 answers left, and if either is there, you win…” makes me cringe. 

Family Feud is my post-J! guilty pleasure, rather than Wheel of Fortune. It can be fun to try to guess the more obscure answers, and to see what kind of euphemisms the board comes up with for "sex" or "breasts" or "penis", etc.. But I know what you mean about Steve Harvey.  I ranted about him in the "Actors, hosts...You can't stand" board. It especially irks when he knocks on the podium: "OK, X family... [knock] there are two answers left...[knock] and if either is there...[knock]..." 

On 7/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, shapeshifter said:

I find watching the old Match Game to be a kind of archaeological dig through the anthropology and sociology of the 1970s. It can be fun to guess what would be a likely response for that time period.

The sexism and racism are cringe inducing, but also unvarnished examples of the time. But there seems to be an unspoken support for and camaraderie with the gay actors who were regulars on the show, which was a bit progressive for the time.

The place where I get repulsed and have to turn it off is the cannibal questions. Same with the modern Family Feud, but I think they may finally be leaving those behind. 

Yes, I stumbled across it a couple of times while channel surfing. There was a question to the effect of "The last time Mr. Hyde took the potion, he didn't turn into Dr. Jekyll, he turned into Dr. ____." Of course my first thoughts were Phil and Oz, neither of whom was on TV in 1976. I finally thought of Dr. Joyce Brothers.

And, yes, some of those questions make us cringe now. I just happened to watch one with the silly "Indian" talk: "Young brave heap modern, him apply war paint with _____"

• Love 3

Long story short, I’m in the hospital with a  broken hip (femur below the hip joint). Happened yesterday, surgery to repair went well this morning. Will post more as I’m able.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thanks all!

Sunday afternoon, I watched a couple of Golden Girls (because what else is there to do?), and one episode was the one where Dorothy tried out to be on Jeopardy! Both Alec Trebek and Merv Griffin made appearances. Fun to watch!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 7

Update - I’m still in rehab, should be able to go home Friday. My DD and her family (husband and daughter) arrive late Tuesday, so they’ll come see me Wednesday. So happy for that!

I found a new word that would make a good Jeopardy! answer. Saw it in the doctor’s office for orthopedics. It’s physiatry.  “Physical medicine and rehabilitation, also known as physiatry, is a branch of medicine that aims to enhance and restore functional ability and quality of life to people with physical impairments or disabilities.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Does anyone know how to find out if a member is still on the site?

Not sure if this works other than on my iPhone, but click on the magnifying glass, put in the screen name, and search. I’ll double check ‘cause I may have left out a step.

Well, that sort of works. I searched for Trey and @Trey, and got hits that weren’t relevant as well as good results. I thought there was a more direct way to find a member.

@Trey brings up you, TREYBEAGLE, and some others with trey in the name.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Does anyone know how to find out if a member is still on the site?

If you're on a device with a mouse, you can hover over their user name (assuming you can find one of their posts) and click on "find content".

I wonder if you can try that as you're typing @Trey - yes, it appears you can.  Type "@" plus the username in a reply, hover and check out their profile, then you can cancel the reply if you want.  I'm not sure if there's an equivalent on a touchscreen device.  Maybe a long-press on the username?

• Love 1

As I said in my answer for last night’s game, I knew a few of the people from the beginning scene of Jaws. We went to college together. P is the guy playing the harmonica. He was my very first boyfriend. I also knew another couple in that group. C and L. They were all doing a summer semester up there in marine biology. Well you see them smoking some weed. It was real weed. Panama Red. It was given to them by someone whose name you would recognize, but I will politely decline to call them out here. They were asked to just sit around the fire and be filmed for the movie. It was fun to hear the behind the scenes info from them. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

As I said in my answer for last night’s game, I knew a few of the people from the beginning scene of Jaws. We went to college together. P is the guy playing the harmonica. He was my very first boyfriend. I also knew another couple in that group. C and L. They were all doing a summer semester up there in marine biology. Well you see them smoking some weed. It was real weed. Panama Red. It was given to them by someone whose name you would recognize, but I will politely decline to call them out here. They were asked to just sit around the fire and be filmed for the movie. It was fun to hear the behind the scenes info from them. 

Thanks for sharing, @Mindthinkr! I am now smiling as if I was doing that stuff "I don't do anymore 'cause I was tired of wakin' up on the floor / No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze, and then it makes it hard to find the door."

• LOL 5