Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have never seen the Milky Way. It's on my bucket list - but only if we can find a place I have access to a potty. Earthly matters trump the stars.

The first time I saw it was during the blackout in 2003. Spectacular.

The ISS passes over where I live pretty regularly. It's neat when shuttles (or the Crew Dragon, more recently) would dock with it. My dad grew up following the space program pretty closely (Gus Grissom was his favourite astronaut), and passed that on to me, so I remember him taking me outside to watch the ISS get built over time, bit by bit as it orbited the Earth. I remember watching Atlantis' last flight from our driveway, and then many years later going to see it at Cape Canaveral with him. And he sends me weekly updates with the times the ISS will be flying overhead.

I was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights once as well, on a work retreat up north. I would love to see them again some day.

Still on the bucket list - to see a rocket launch in person. We were so close - one weather violation meant the launch was scrubbed for the day, and happened the day after we flew home.

Also on the bucket list - total solar eclipse. My home is supposed to be in the path of totality for the April 8 2024 eclipse. I have already booked the day off of work (as I did for the recent partial eclipse). Of course, with my luck, it will rain that day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I have already booked the day off of work (as I did for the recent partial eclipse). Of course, with my luck, it will rain that day.

If the weather report is for rain, take some extra days off work and drive, baby drive, to where the sky will be clear.

13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have never seen the Milky Way. It's on my bucket list - but only if we can find a place I have access to a potty. Earthly matters trump the stars.

That's why there are trees (and bushes) in the woods, girlfriend.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

My dad grew up following the space program pretty closely (Gus Grissom was his favourite astronaut), and passed that on to me, so I remember him taking me outside to watch the ISS get built over time, bit by bit as it orbited the Earth. I remember watching Atlantis' last flight from our driveway, and then many years later going to see it at Cape Canaveral with him. And he sends me weekly updates with the times the ISS will be flying overhead.

I grew up watching the space program too. I was a little too young to have followed the early days, but years later,  when I was in the Air Force, I was stationed at Grissom AFB, so I always thought Gus was a cool guy. I was visiting Florida and saw Columbia launch in November 1983. Here's a shot, scanned from a slide. I never had the opportunity to get back down for a shuttle launch with newer camera gear.

JM_1983_11_28_Space_Shuttle_Columbia_001

Still on the bucket list - to see a rocket launch in person. We were so close - one weather violation meant the launch was scrubbed for the day, and happened the day after we flew home.

Two years ago - I was going to say "last year" but it was in the Before Times - I was down in Florida and got to see a Delta IV rocket launch. It was supposed to go off about 30 minutes before sunset, but got delayed. Took off shortly after dark - it was spectacular, but I was having a tough time with camera settings since I wasn't expecting a night launch.

JM_2019_03_15_Delta_IV_Launch_001-L.jpg

JM_2019_03_15_Delta_IV_Launch_002-L.jpg

JM_2019_03_15_Delta_IV_Launch_005-L.jpg

Also on the bucket list - total solar eclipse. My home is supposed to be in the path of totality for the April 8 2024 eclipse. I have already booked the day off of work (as I did for the recent partial eclipse). Of course, with my luck, it will rain that day.

See it, no matter what it takes! I was in Tellico Plains, TN, sort of the southern part of the Smoky Mountains for the eclipse in 2017. Absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed!

JM_2017_08_21_Solar_Eclipse_002-L.jpg

JM_2017_08_21_Solar_Eclipse_003-L.jpg

JM_2017_08_21_Solar_Eclipse_022-L.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Has it been that long since the eclipse?  Some of us at work had the special glasses and a bunch of us all went outside & watched it (Metro Atlanta), sharing the glasses. It was spectacular. It didn't get dark, of course, but it DID get darkER than usual. There was an odd quality to the light.  We had one in the early 80s, too, when I worked downtown. There were four tall office towers with a courtyard in the middle and it looked like more than half the daytime occupants of the buildings were out there, looking at it.

In elementary school, I had a social studies teacher, Mrs. Grissom. Guess who her favorite astronaut was?  Mine was Shepard.

• Love 4

@Moose135, your photos are spectacular, I really appreciate you sharing them. A little adjusting in Photoshop would make that blast-off photo pop.

A friend in Indiana drove to somewhere in Kentucky for the day, to see the eclipse in 2017. He said tons of people were wherever he went. I found out about the free glasses giveaways too late and couldn't find any around here. So I tried the pinhole thing, which was a dismal failure and did not work at all, not even a tiny bit. I was extremely disappointed.

So yeah @secnarf, you need to get to any eclipse viewing site even if it means taking a few days (and making a vaca of it).

I admire all the astronauts but I guess my fav is/was John Glenn for so many reasons.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@Moose135, your photos are spectacular, I really appreciate you sharing them. A little adjusting in Photoshop would make that blast-off photo pop.

Thank you very much! That's been through Photoshop already, I may need to find the original slide and try scanning it again, see if I can get any better quality to start.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Thank you very much! That's been through Photoshop already, I may need to find the original slide and try scanning it again, see if I can get any better quality to start.

I would put parts of the blast-off photo on layers, like smoke billows, rocket, stand holding the rocket, maybe even some sky, then adjust each layer. Some of my adjusted photos might have 10-12 layers. Then it takes a bit of care to combine everything back again and fix the edges so all looks natural. Every once in a while Pshop will do a good color adjustment with an auto-adjust but when the pic has difficulties, I have to put parts on layers to adjust individually.

For instance, I create lots of dog magazines. i get photos of people wearing caps with the sun at their backs, holding a black dog or one with a white body and black head, also in shadow. These types of photos are more common than you think. Or, a win photo of a white dog that appears orange, with the judge's face bright red and blue. *sigh*

Still, your photos are wonderful and greatly appreciated by me.

• Love 3

Okay, calling all cat owners. I belong to the Purina Pro Club. I just got an email, they are promoting their new cat food that fights allergens. Here's part of their PR statement: "Now you can reduce the major allergen in your cat’s hair and dander simply and safely, with the world’s first allergen-reducing cat food: Purina Pro Plan LiveClear. Take The LiveClear Challenge and discover the freedom you – and your cat – could have by this time next month."

They are offering an $8-off coupon if you sign up. I got a $5 coupon a while back for PurinaOne dog food, which really came in handy. But me no have no cats. Here's the coupon link:

Purina $8 cat food coupon

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Has it been that long since the eclipse?  Some of us at work had the special glasses and a bunch of us all went outside & watched it (Metro Atlanta), sharing the glasses. It was spectacular. It didn't get dark, of course, but it DID get darkER than usual. There was an odd quality to the light.  We had one in the early 80s, too, when I worked downtown. There were four tall office towers with a courtyard in the middle and it looked like more than half the daytime occupants of the buildings were out there, looking at it.

Unfortunately, our skies were full of smoke haze - so it just got a little dimmer than it already was even though were were in the 90 percent location, I think. (Oregon). Some friends of ours drove up to the 100% location, and they might have been beyond the smoke pollution, but I'm not sure.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, Moose135 said:

JM_2019_01_21_International_Space_Statio

JM_2019_07_18_International_Space_Statio

JM_2019_07_18_International_Space_Statio

Speaking of celestial stuff, last July we were up on the Blue Ridge Parkway one evening to catch Comet Neowise.

JM_2020_07_18_Comet_Neowise_002-XL.jpg

JM_2020_07_18_Comet_Neowise_010-XL.jpg

JM_2020_07_18_Comet_Neowise_011-XL.jpg

@Moose135, I love your photos because they are so much like how I saw Comet Hyakutake 1996 when I lived 10 miles from the nearest grocery store in the foothills of Mt. Shasta. It is my most treasured memory. 

• Love 2

Up in the middle of the night with a sick dog. I keep saying, "do you think she should have that much popcorn?" (because I will give her a couple of pieces, but not a lot... I mean, humans shouldn't even eat corn, really - the indigestion and all - but those $7 bags from Costco are just so snackable.)

Somewhere in one of these threads was discussion about shooting stars and constellations. I had to add my bit.

Some of you may know that I live on a lake in Muskoka, Ontario. My sunsets are beyond words as the sun sets directly across the lake during the summer months. Last year, when we were graced with the shooting stars (meteor shower) over a period of a few days, I sat in one of my Muskoka (adirondack) chairs on the dock for several nights, enjoying the show. Wow. Ma Nature is incredible. For most of those nights, the Big Dipper was smack dab right in the middle of my view. Having the reflections on the lake is bonus, especially during the times when both the sun and moon are in the sky... sometimes both seemingly 'setting'.

I wish I had a better camera so I could have a contest with @Moose135. LOL (I'd lose, but I'd have fun competing!) I've seen some amazing northern lights here - one night, they looked like angel's wings filling the sky. Truly out of this world. I'm also convinced I've seen some UFOs.

When my grandkids visit, we always have a photo shoot during sunset of them holding their arms up in the air, saying goodnight to the sun and sending her much love. One of these days, I'll put together a collage of "through the years" as it's remarkable (to me) how those 3 yr old arms are now 15 and longer than mine!

• Love 4

I have a number of shows I follow in the fora, but currently I'm seeing all shows, not just the ones I follow.  Grrr.  Not sure they're really finished with the improvement update, but I don't think they are.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2

The forum/topic follows screen is a mess. They changed the format, which isn't horrible, but is different, but stuff is showing up in random order in the list.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2

I used to have a "home page", which listed only the forums I followed. That doesn't seem to exist anymore.  And, what is that stuff on the right hand side (which shrinks the size of the posts)? Never used to be there.

• Love 2

They're still working on it. So far, it's OK for me except I miss the orange arrows to take you to the top of the screen, but apparently, they've built in other features so that you don't need it.

I like that we can see who clicked on "like" or "yikes"

Oh, look - that stuff on the right side: go to the top of the column. See the down arrow? I clicked on it & nothing happened even though the arrow was now pointing up. Clicked on it again and only the header is visible. All that other stuff is gone. However, the column still exists, making the posts column narrower than before, but at least we don't have to see that Saber and I are the most off-topic people. Bwaahahahaha

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

At the top of the page: The software devs are still working on a few items including the Customised Homepage. Please bear with us while they do this, apologies for the inconvenience folks. No ETA as yet on when that'll be. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again for your patience.

Incidentally, I don't seem to have that "down arrow" (or the up one either). I'll just assume it will go away, once the update is done.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, illdoc said:

And, what is that stuff on the right hand side (which shrinks the size of the posts)? Never

I hate everything about this "update." I don't want to know who has posted the most on some site, nor do i want to know what the most popular posts are. AND, if I want to know what photos were posted, I would read the freaking thread. And I even hate listing names of people who liked your post. If I want to know, I could look inside the icon. All of this new stuff is just repeating what anyone who actually READ the thread would know. I find the highlighting irritating and invasive, like: "Look at these guys everyone." HATE IT.

One plus: Not so many ads. Yet anyway.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They're still working on it. So far, it's OK for me except I miss the orange arrows to take you to the top of the screen, but apparently, they've built in other features so that you don't need it.

I like that we can see who clicked on "like" or "yikes"

Oh, look - that stuff on the right side: go to the top of the column. See the down arrow? I clicked on it & nothing happened even though the arrow was now pointing up. Clicked on it again and only the header is visible. All that other stuff is gone. However, the column still exists, making the posts column narrower than before, but at least we don't have to see that Saber and I are the most off-topic people. Bwaahahahaha

I've been using a customized "Stream" since an annoying update about 5 or 6 years ago, but I suspect this option is very low on the list of things for the developers to test, so I should probably get with the program, so to speak.
That is, as was once said in an entirely different context [looking at @Prevailing Wind's post] "I'll have what she's having." 
But seriously, @Prevailing Wind, how do you have stuff set up here?

I was just in the Big Sky thread and none of the things here -- most post posters, best posts, photos from the thread, blah blah -- are there. It's like they just ruined the Jeopardy threads. What's up with that.

12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

most post posters, best posts, photos from the thread, blah blah

I don't see any of that crap because within my browser I set my screen at 150% instead of 100% -- that right-hand column disappears and the actual posts (you know, the stuff I'm here to read) fill the page.

I also don't see the names of posters who reacted, just the usual number (that I can hover over/click on if I want to see who makes up that number).  Going down to just 133% makes that show up, so I'll continue to hang out here at 150%.

Basically, thanks to my longstanding practice of zooming in because I can't frakkin' see, the only headache for me following this update is a temporary one - waiting for the customized home page to return.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't see any of that crap because within my browser I set my screen at 150% instead of 100% -- that right-hand column disappears and the actual posts (you know, the stuff I'm here to read) fill the page.

That may be browser-dependent. I'm on Firefox. I was at 120% and saw the right hand column, when I zoomed to 150%, it's still there.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

That may be browser-dependent. I'm on Firefox. I was at 120% and saw the right hand column, when I zoomed to 150%, it's still there.

I'm on a desktop computer in Firefox and the right-hand crap is there in Firefox and Chrome. it is NOT there in any other threads that I frequent, in Chrome or Firefox: Blacklist, Big Sky, Pooch Perfect. It's just in all the Jeopardy threads. It's like the mods are pranking us. Trolls.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I only use the internet on one of my two laptops. The main one with all my financial information, and the the "Traveller" one I take on Road Trips that has NO information on its hard drive - just software and, of course, the link to Dropbox, where I upload all my photos while I'm on the road.

My "bookmark" goes here: https://forums.primetimer.com/followed/?type=forums_forum&change_section=1

...where it displays the 2 fora I've subscribed to - Commercials and Jeopardy!  I read those and formerly would use the orange double arrow to get from the bottom of the page to the top, where I would click on "Follows" to display the shows that are only one thread each - like Midsomer Murders, Death in Paradise, Bosch, et al.  Earlier this evening,  I didn't need to scroll to the top - over on the left there was a choice to go to (I forget what it said - discussions or threads) for the individual shows.  I don't see it now, but it may be because I'm in creating a reply mode.

I don't use bookmarks like most people, either.  I have a document in Dropbox Paper that lists the websites I like to visit and after its name/link there's a clue for me as to which user ID & password I used. Each link opens in a new tab; the "home" tab stays open all the time I'm on the internet. The only password I need to remember on any computer is the dropbox one to access that doc. On my own computers, it's the home page in Firefox, so when I get on the internet, there are my bookmarks and passwords (NOT spelled out for security reasons, but I know what they mean)

I also had been using Ad Blocker+ but since I got a new computer, I started using AdNauseam instead - I don't see ads here; I DO see big blanks of area where the ads are hidden.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Firefox is what I use, and I've never seen the right column at 150%.

If I go down to 100%, then, like @saber5055, I see the new crap in some threads but not others; I haven't poked around enough to decipher a pattern (since I'm happy to just zoom back to 150% and avoid it).

So I don't know what the difference is, I'm just glad I've always - I think that right column first showed up with the major change a few years ago? - been able to avoid it by zooming, because wasting a third of the screen on blank space and/or bits of trivia seems an odd choice to me; I prefer to fill my screen with useful content.

I'm at 120% and I've never seen that right column with the statistics in it until today.  And Saber's right - it's not on any other forum/thread that I follow.

Maybe they think that, as J! nerds, we'd appreciate all those facts & figures.  I don't need 'em.

Hah! The edit function is back.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Still cannot edit my posts already in place.
Testing, 1,2,3,4...testing, 1,2,3,4...

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I only use the internet on one of my two laptops. The main one with all my financial information, and the the "Traveller" one I take on Road Trips that has NO information on its hard drive - just software and, of course, the link to Dropbox, where I upload all my photos while I'm on the road.

My "bookmark" goes here: https://forums.primetimer.com/followed/?type=forums_forum&change_section=1

...where it displays the 2 fora I've subscribed to - Commercials and Jeopardy!  I read those and formerly would use the orange double arrow to get from the bottom of the page to the top, where I would click on "Follows" to display the shows that are only one thread each - like Midsomer Murders, Death in Paradise, Bosch, et al.  Earlier this evening,  I didn't need to scroll to the top - over on the left there was a choice to go to (I forget what it said - discussions or threads) for the individual shows.  I don't see it now, but it may be because I'm in creating a reply mode.

I don't use bookmarks like most people, either.  I have a document in Dropbox Paper that lists the websites I like to visit and after its name/link there's a clue for me as to which user ID & password I used. Each link opens in a new tab; the "home" tab stays open all the time I'm on the internet. The only password I need to remember on any computer is the dropbox one to access that doc. On my own computers, it's the home page in Firefox, so when I get on the internet, there are my bookmarks and passwords (NOT spelled out for security reasons, but I know what they mean)

I also had been using Ad Blocker+ but since I got a new computer, I started using AdNauseam instead - I don't see ads here; I DO see big blanks of area where the ads are hidden.

Thank you for the details!

Just now, shapeshifter said:
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Still cannot edit my posts already in place.
Testing, 1,2,3,4...testing, 1,2,3,4...

No edit functionality for me on my Windows 10 laptop in Chrome browser.

But merge is happening ^

• Love 1

I think the reason I'm not seeing the "down arrow" the Prevailing Wind mentioned is that the right column is "off"---that is, it's not full. I'm missing the first letter of any screen names listed (that down arrow, would it be on the top left of that column?). 

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If by "not right" you mean it's different and I don't like it one bit, then I agree.

I usually hate anything new (changes to websites, or grocery stores). I don't hate this one, but I'm not fond of it either.  Still, I tend to like things better as I get used to them. I was just a little sad to see my name was not in the right hand column. LOL.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was just in the Big Sky thread and none of the things here -- most post posters, best posts, photos from the thread, blah blah -- are there. It's like they just ruined the Jeopardy threads. What's up with that.

Since this is a huge website, it may take a while for the changes to populate through the system. It depends on the criteria they used to roll out the changes. They may be making the changes to the forums with the highest traffic. After checking a few, I tried out one I knew was fairly high traffic (This is Us) and the content on the right was included.

I can also see that the layout on each forum's home page is set up with a wide right column now. But maybe they always were, I don't remember how they looked.

Anyway, from my perspective as a web professional, it looks like they're implementing in stages, getting the foundational changes first as well as implementing all the changes on the higher profile pages. Maybe not what I would do - but my site is nowhere near this large. It takes a huge amount of processing and memory to do this task.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Firefox is what I use, and I've never seen the right column at 150%.

If I go down to 100%, then, like @saber5055, I see the new crap in some threads but not others; I haven't poked around enough to decipher a pattern (since I'm happy to just zoom back to 150% and avoid it).

So I don't know what the difference is, I'm just glad I've always - I think that right column first showed up with the major change a few years ago? - been able to avoid it by zooming, because wasting a third of the screen on blank space and/or bits of trivia seems an odd choice to me; I prefer to fill my screen with useful content.

I use Firefox as well, and it's still there for me, though the far left of the information is a little cut off. I normally use 133%, but bumped it up to see.

Since it's at the top of each page, it took me a while to understand there were different changes other than a widening of the right column.

Your computer resolution and settings may make a difference as well. I once tried the "large" settings on my computer and hated it even though I could see better. But since you're happy with your setup and how the new changes look on it - then you're in a good spot.

BTW, to go up and down without the up arrow, just use the Home and End buttons on your keyboard.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

BTW, to go up and down without the up arrow, just use the Home and End buttons on your keyboard.

Thank you - I am really missing the up arrow.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And where are those keys on a Mac keyboard?

I have never seen up or down arrows. I just use the scroll bar on the browser window or on my mouse. I guess I'm old school. (Be sure to include "school" if quoting that.)

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

They may be making the changes to the forums with the highest traffic. After checking a few, I tried out one I knew was fairly high traffic (This is Us) and the content on the right was included.

Ugh, that means all the threads will suck. I was in TIU before the makeover. Now I don't want to go back. Odd that Jeopardy is one of the big-action threads.

@Clanstarling, to get your name and icon on the right-hand side where all the big mouths are listed, use the old Chicago saying: "Post and post often." Except in Chicago they said vote instead of post. That's not so funny these days though.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And where are those keys on a Mac keyboard?

@Clanstarling, to get your name and icon on the right-hand side where all the big mouths are listed, use the old Chicago saying: "Post and post often." Except in Chicago they said vote instead of post. That's not so funny these days though.

I know how to, I'm just too lazy to get there.

Oh, you had to be fancy and have a Mac, did you? Well, II haven't used one since the original Mac (working at the Apple mothership), but guessing from the placement, I"m guessing it's one of these keys in red. I don't know why two go diagonally and two have some cross hatches on them. Try them and find out! 🙂

mac keyboard.jpg

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Oh, you had to be fancy and have a Mac, did you? Well, II haven't used one since the original Mac (working at the Apple mothership), but guessing from the placement, I"m guessing it's one of these keys in red.

Yes, that's me. I have the fanciest of pants as well as multiple Macs. Your keyboard diagram was spot on, as I discovered when I "undusted" those keys so I could actually read them. And they work, all four of them. I might use them in the future if I feel like moving forward from being old. School, that is.

Thanks, my feathered friend.

• Love 3

I’ve been on my iPhone, and I’m not seeing any of the annoying stuff that you all are seeing. Makes me afraid to go upstairs and use my PC! Missing the orange up arrow though.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I’ve been on my iPhone, and I’m not seeing any of the annoying stuff that you all are seeing. Makes me afraid to go upstairs and use my PC! Missing the orange up arrow though.

I am so jealous that your post says "(edited)." 
I still have no way to edit mine on my iPhone or PC. 😕

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I am so jealous that your post says "(edited)." 
I still have no way to edit mine on my iPhone or PC. 😕

That seems to be another thing in the works, slowly returning to normal across the site.  I've never been without the editing function that I'm aware of during this transition period (it was there the two or three times I needed it, but of course I didn't look for it when I didn't), but I've seen a couple of other posters who didn't have it, or had it in some threads but not in others, recently remark that it's back for them. 

Don't mind me, I'm just posting here to see if I can edit it.  Someone said that (post-update) they can edit their posts in the Jeopardy! thread but not elsewhere.  I can edit something I posted a while ago.   I wonder if we can only edit things we posted post-update.  (Although I'm not sure we're post-update, I think we're still mid-update.)  See you on the other side.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Don't mind me, I'm just posting here to see if I can edit it.  Someone said that (post-update) they can edit their posts in the Jeopardy! thread but not elsewhere.  I can't edit something I posted a while ago.   I wonder if we can only edit things we posted post-update.  (Although I'm not sure we're post-update, I think we're still mid-update.)  See you on the other side.

Nope, no edit option for me.  Also I mistyped above - I CAN'T edit old posts.  But I see lots of recent posts with the "edited" note.  I'm holding off adding anything to the "bug" thread since I think this is all still being worked on.  I guess it's better to put the site back up with minor issues than to leave it down for days, but I wish they'd update the banner message with more specifics of what they're still working on. 

whaddayouknow. Have those 3 dots been there all along, or is that a new format with the recent updates?

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited to say that now I can edit again
  • Love 1

FYI, I can still edit posts made before the site update, and can edit ones made afterward. Maybe you non-editable people need to get on a fancy-pants Mac with Firefox?

Edited by saber5055
See, I said I could edit these posts!
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Skeptically posting something to see if the edit feature is back.

Yes!!!!!! It's back!! cheerleader.gif

However, the edit pencil is now under the 3 dots in the upper right of the post.
I had tried looking there before, but it wasn't there.
But that also means it's in a place where the tech savvy will look, and I'm not sure that non-tech-savvy folks edit their posts. 

And ETA that I'm on my PC.

And now I’m editing on my iPhone 7!

Yippie aye yai kai aye!

Edited by shapeshifter
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

However, the edit pencil is now under the 3 dots in the upper right of the post.

Beg to differ. The edit pencil is where it's always been for me, bottom left of the message window in with some other icons I've never investigated. Here is what your post looks like to me, @shapeshifter. There are no three dots anywhere in any message posts. Directly above your post is mine, which contains the edit pencil. I've circled that area for ... well, because I wanted to.

1791277526_editpost.thumb.png.e32891ab4858f34dbfeab1ef9e785f6b.png

Edited by saber5055
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Beg to differ. The edit pencil is where it's always been for me, bottom left of the message window in with some other icons I've never investigated. Here is what your post looks like to me, @shapeshifter. There are no three dots anywhere in any message posts. Directly above your post is mine, which contains the edit pencil. I've circles that area for ... well, because I wanted to.

1791277526_editpost.thumb.png.e32891ab4858f34dbfeab1ef9e785f6b.png

Must be the fancy schmancy Mac effect?
Here's how it is on my PC (and the same on my iPhone 7)

screengrab.png

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

FYI, I can still edit posts made before the site update, and can edit ones made afterward. Maybe you non-editable people need to get on a fancy-pants Mac with Firefox?

I can edit with Firefox. Don't need no fancy pants Mac. 😘

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Here's how it is on my PC (and the same on my iPhone 7)

Hokey smokes @shapeshifter. You even get circle icons while I get squares. Are you circles or squares, @Clanstarling, and a three dots or bottom icon person?

ETA: And you get info about each poster under that person's avatar. I just get how long ago someone posted. If I hover over the avatar a window with that info opens.

I find some of this creepy.

Edited by saber5055

That "info when hovering on an avatar" - I've gotten that a lot in the past, but it may be my wacky laptop. It acts as though I've pressed enter even when I haven't if the cursor is idle for a few seconds without me doing anything. I have to be sure to park it in a blank space on the screen when I'm reading. After I open a forum and I don't move the cursor away fast enough, I get to see the profile of Athena, because her name, as the thread originator, is where the cursor ends up after I open the forum. I've tried all kinds of settings on the laptop to slow down its reaction time, but nothing stops the keyboard from thinking I meant to press enter.

I don't have three dots. I have the pencil in the bottom taskbar section.

ETA: I have square avatars, too.
  • Useful 1