Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Drama Queens

• Start Topic

Okay, now I'm really really off to see Aunt Diane.  Something I've been avoiding ever since it came out.  Am really off to see it. 

It wasn't me who suggested it.  But it will ENRAGE you.  I was screaming at the TV by the end of it.  

• Love 3

It's really haunting. Thought about it for a loooooooong time afterward.

Eta: I'd you like it, I'm the one who recommended it, if you don't then caughtontape did.

Thanks, North Carolina -- where I was born.  I am terrified of watching it which is why I'm still here fiddling.  I'm going now.   And I kinda thought I've gotten the provenance wrong.  So off I go.  Could be a great way of getting some long postponed projects done.  The sheer carnage in terms of kid count was horrific.  Thank goodness Bravo doesn't let the crazies drive!  

• Love 1

I don't even think the tabloids got packed. Brandi just claimed Lisa wanted her to pack them when she saw them at Brandi's place, but that Brandi didn't pack them. The whole brouhaha was just over the claim that Lisa supposedly wanted to bring them along to use them to torment Kyle. Not believing it and never did.

I've always maintained that I think it went down like this:

Brandi: (gleeful at the thought of painting another husband as a cheater and revealing Kyle to be some sort of fraud) OMG Lisa did you see the tabloids? What should I do? I don't know, should I bring it up in Palm Springs? You know, as a friend because I'm worried about her!

Lisa: (with much sarcasm) Oh yes, that a great idea. We'll all sit around the campfire and reenact whatever Maricio is being accused of this week. Sounds like a fantastic weekend. *eyeroll*

Months later Brandi repeats whatever Lisa said, but implys she was being serious when she said it.

• Love 7

I'm so incredibly sorry, SwordQueen, to know that you went through this crucible -- I shudder to think of people going through the anorexia mill.  I consider eating disorders and recovery in them the supreme test.  Cannot even begin to imagine.  And I'm sure I said at least ten things wrong just in the first few sentences.  I'm so glad your father was there for you.  There are no rules to any of this kind of thing, ever.  Just folks talking.  And I love what you write here and in all your posts. 

I think it all depends on who is doing what to and for whom and there are no rules beyond getting a grip and getting well.  This show SO messes with me.  I've been able to get off some of the others and this one is next on my list within the next year.  Not saying this is you -- just me.  I've had a lot of issues since I was little.  My allegiance to Bravo is on a definite down swing.  Not in response to you at all to say that.  Just made me want to give you a hug.  And myself too kinda and more often that not I'm in kick myself mode.  

Family members, like your father can save a life ... Could be that Kyle ain't the girl to do that from what we've seen.  And really we don't know really.  We just know what they show us.         

Thank you, Copa, you're a doll.  ; )    My dad was a champ.  He drove me to doctor's appointments 3-4 times a week and I was wheelchair bound for awhile, so he'd take me out shopping and wheel me around and was very patient with all of that.  He (and before him my ex) would even have to carry me into the bathroom if I wasn't strong enough to walk there myself.  One thing I can say about all of it is that you definitely loose any sort of shame when you're that ill and people have to hold you up in the shower.  lol   

Mental illness and addiction are just so complex -- as we've seen here with all kind of differing viewpoints and emotions -- and there's no manual and certainly no script for people to follow.  And there's so much overlapping in mindset and behaviors with EDs and addictions -- your entire live focuses on the illnesses' goal of getting what it wants.  There is nothing else but that drive to get/maintain the high.  If could have focused all of my ED energy into something productive, wow, I could have gotten a lot of shit done.  lol   And I totally agree that while Kyle wants (or at least wanted) to help Kim, she doesn't seem to be the one to do it.  I really hope Kyle does back off however much is needed because what she's doing now is clearly not working.  I may not like ether Richards sister, but I wish them well. 

• Love 7
The DNA test is two fold. First you spit in a cup and send it back. They breakdown your genetic heritage ( only on the mothers side as they are using mitochondrial DNA) and give you a breakdown of possible medical conditions you are at high risk for. They also give some fun facts too like whether you are more likely to be a sprinter or a long distance runner, whether your earwax is likely soft or hard etc. The second part is the community where they link you up , if you wish, with people sharing your DNA. They give you probably degree of relatives . The third part is on going research which you can participate in. its very cool and well worth the 99 dollars 23 and me charges. No where do you have to give a name or it it an advantage to have it.

He appeared to be doing ancestry.com's test, which doesn't do anything but give a breakdown of what countries people with the highest percentage of your DNA come from.  No fun medical data at all.  And it's not limited to mitochondrial dna for women - it's an autosomal test that covers genes from both parents.  23andme, family tree dna and the national geographic genomic study do separate Y chromosome and mtDNA testing, but those basically tell you where your ancestors lived 10,000 years ago, which is interesting, but not particularly illuminating. for an adoptee wondering about recent origins.

Ancestry.com DOES then give you lists of registered users broken down into the distance related -- that information, together with your family trees, can pin down the actual shared relative.  That's the most valuable part of it, so if he's not going to create a tree, it's not really the best program for finding relatives.  Of course it might also have been a ploy to disguise what company they really used.

Of course many people do all the tests.  

• Love 1

Thank you, Copa, you're a doll.  ; )    My dad was a champ.  He drove me to doctor's appointments 3-4 times a week and I was wheelchair bound for awhile, so he'd take me out shopping and wheel me around and was very patient with all of that.  He (and before him my ex) would even have to carry me into the bathroom if I wasn't strong enough to walk there myself.  One thing I can say about all of it is that you definitely loose any sort of shame when you're that ill and people have to hold you up in the shower.  lol   

Mental illness and addiction are just so complex -- as we've seen here with all kind of differing viewpoints and emotions -- and there's no manual and certainly no script for people to follow.  And there's so much overlapping in mindset and behaviors with EDs and addictions -- your entire live focuses on the illnesses' goal of getting what it wants.  There is nothing else but that drive to get/maintain the high.  If could have focused all of my ED energy into something productive, wow, I could have gotten a lot of shit done.  lol   And I totally agree that while Kyle wants (or at least wanted) to help Kim, she doesn't seem to be the one to do it.  I really hope Kyle does back off however much is needed because what she's doing now is clearly not working.  I may not like ether Richards sister, but I wish them well. 

I love what you write and I love your father for taking care of you -- and I'm sure at some level YOU taking care of him while you were going through it took him where he needed to be because you are his beloved daugther  -- and another series of hugs, even though they might be annoying.  It sounds like you have gotten a lot of shit done and I do know the feeling, believe me, that maybe you haven't, but, trust me, no one writes the way you do without having gotten a lot of stuff done... and stuff that's important too.  The main bz of life is getting through it in one piece with some semblance of composure.  For my money, mission being accomplished. Being held up in a shower is a thing -- anyone having to do that for someone they love or even someone they don't know is going to be living at full throttle.  What you brought your father is something he will have treasured. 

I cued  Aunt Dianne -- got through the 911 calls, found a reason to do some additional housework, and am back here again and off to try it again. 

And,oh, course, Kim and Kyle and Brandi and Yolanda and all Lisas and Eileen and all ladies ever involved are part and parcel of the above at all times.  And actually they are -- all of them all the time.  They really really are part of all this conversation we are having. 

Edited by copacabana
  • Love 4

Thanks, North Carolina -- where I was born.  I am terrified of watching it which is why I'm still here fiddling.  I'm going now.   And I kinda thought I've gotten the provenance wrong.  So off I go.  Could be a great way of getting some long postponed projects done.  The sheer carnage in terms of kid count was horrific.  Thank goodness Bravo doesn't let the crazies drive!  

Can't wait to hear your reaction to it. 

I've always maintained that I think it went down like this:

Brandi: (gleeful at the thought of painting another husband as a cheater and revealing Kyle to be some sort of fraud) OMG Lisa did you see the tabloids? What should I do? I don't know, should I bring it up in Palm Springs? You know, as a friend because I'm worried about her!

Lisa: (with much sarcasm) Oh yes, that a great idea. We'll all sit around the campfire and reenact whatever Maricio is being accused of this week. Sounds like a fantastic weekend. *eyeroll*

Months later Brandi repeats whatever Lisa said, but implys she was being serious when she said it.

Very plausible, very! This fits into  Brandi's MO.

• Love 1

Actually, I'm off to watch Something's Wrong with Aunt Dianne, which caughtontape, I believe, mentioned.  Have been dreading it for years but the comments here have me inching towards it.  So Lost Stars on YouTube followed by Aunt Dianne. 

Late to the party, but wanted to add to the chorus.  It is such a good documentary.  It really shows the depths of denial family members will go to deny addiction.  I think it also shows how well addicts can hide their addictions from people they are around every day.  Really powerful and sad as hell.

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 4

One of the things that consistently bothers me about the BH housewives is that they don't understand the expression, "a hot minute" or "it's been a minute." They always use it as if "minute" means a short amount of time, when it's the exact opposite. "I haven't seen you in a minute" means I haven't seen you in a while. I know I'm nitpicking but it happens all the time on this show.

• Love 2

Hugs for you, too, Copa.  Thank you for being so kindhearted and supportive, it's much appreciated.

It’s funny isn’t it, how such a frivolous show like this can strike such an emotional chord in a lot of us.  I think that’s the real reason I watch reality shows.  I’m not much for petty drama, especially the manufactured kind, but I love seeing how people live and how they function with others.  Even though Kyle and Kim’s sister storyline is a very sick and sad one, I feel like it’s reminiscent of the first season of the OC branch when the concept of the show was about the lives of privileged women who were all family, friends and neighbors.  When they started adding interlopers, who weren’t friends with anyone, into all of the shows, it became too fake for me.

I would enjoy this show much more without Brandi, because honestly, she interrupts what, for me, are interesting and complicated relationships with her attention whore antics.  Lisa V and Kyle’s relationship for one, I found to be real and when they fight, I can feel genuine emotions from both sides.  Not implying that the others don't ever act out for attention but I wish TPTB would focus more on the (pre)existing relationships between Lisa V, Kyle, Lisa R and Eileen since they have known each other for years off the show.  And the life-long soap fan in me wants to see more behind the scenes stuff with Eileen and Lisa R's acting gigs.  

• Love 7

Brandi is a toxic person who is heavily involved with drinking alcohol to the point of public drunkenness, fights and blackouts (and let's face it, using medications/drugs recreationally) -- for which she sees no problem. These are the very substances that Kim needs to stay away from. Brandi dislikes Kim's sister, Kyle, and is fond of taunting her and putting her down to Kim (in the process makes Kim feel unloved and uncared for by her sister) and even encourages Kim to do the same. Brandi makes violent threats to others when she's angry. Brandi has a recorded history of taking personal things that people tell her in confidence and using it against them when she's mad or high or bored.

Would you want Brandi to be BFFs with your (hypothetical) unstable, mentally ill sister? lol

I don't blame Kyle or Kim's children or Lisa VP or Giggy for being concerned with Brandi becoming Kim's next vice.

And yet, even considering all that, I don't think Kyle was trying to make any such statement (that Kim shouldn't be friends with Brandi.) She was only asking that Brandi stop preventing her from taking to Kim and also stop trying to derail the sisters' relationship. Oh, and stop pretending to be Kim's savior.

• Love 13

Excellent point, renatae!   Kyle never, to my knowledge, forbade Kim from being friends with Brandi.  Kyle just did not appreciate her intruding on and inserting herself into their relationship ("They" being Kim and Kyle), but hasn't on camera told Kim to cut Brandi loose (not yet at least).  Brandi and Kim are always too high to get the subtle as a sledgehammer difference, though.   

• Love 6

And where in Kyle and Kim interactions from the bathroom scene to Kyle's party is Kyle referring to that pill or her concern about that pill?

In the bathroom, Kyle refers to being concerned that Kim is not "herself." Kim gives her the pain BS and Kyle drops it, having second thoughts about confronting Kim, because we all know that leads to "you exposed me!" Which it did, anyway, as we see when Kim goes back into the party to say "Thanks for that," meaning, of course, Kyle is to blame for Kim's condition and exposing it, even though Kyle didn't even go there. Darned if she does and darned if she doesn't.

We did see her expressing her concern when she visited Kim at her home, but once again biting her tongue because Lord knows we do not mention the elephant.

• Love 13

He appeared to be doing ancestry.com's test, which doesn't do anything but give a breakdown of what countries people with the highest percentage of your DNA come from.  No fun medical data at all.  And it's not limited to mitochondrial dna for women - it's an autosomal test that covers genes from both parents.  23andme, family tree dna and the national geographic genomic study do separate Y chromosome and mtDNA testing, but those basically tell you where your ancestors lived 10,000 years ago, which is interesting, but not particularly illuminating. for an adoptee wondering about recent origins.

Ancestry.com DOES then give you lists of registered users broken down into the distance related -- that information, together with your family trees, can pin down the actual shared relative.  That's the most valuable part of it, so if he's not going to create a tree, it's not really the best program for finding relatives.  Of course it might also have been a ploy to disguise what company they really used.

Of course many people do all the tests.  

I hope we are not too OT. You can download your raw autosomal DNA from ancestry and put them through a (free) medical DNA website like Prometheas  and upload it to GEDMATCH And  get much better data...PM me if you need more info

Okay, now I'm really really off to see Aunt Diane.  Something I've been avoiding ever since it came out.  Am really off to see it. 

Even though I've seen this at least half a dozen times, I wouldn't mind giving it another viewing.

Can I ask what site or network you found it on, Copacabana?  

I've always caught it on HBO documentaries.

Let us know your reaction to it.  It's an amazing portrait of a family in probably the deepest denial I've ever seen.

Oh, and if you're interested in followup info, just Google and read about the lawsuits regarding this case.

Fascinating (albeit highly disturbing) stuff.  

• Love 2

Even though I've seen this at least half a dozen times, I wouldn't mind giving it another viewing.

Can I ask what site or network you found it on, Copacabana?  

I've always caught it on HBO documentaries.

Let us know your reaction to it.  It's an amazing portrait of a family in probably the deepest denial I've ever seen.

Oh, and if you're interested in followup info, just Google and read about the lawsuits regarding this case.

Fascinating (albeit highly disturbing) stuff.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5CRexmfyA

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 4

Even Brandi has said it's tough when all the other HW can show their time with their children to soften them and show depth of personality...she can't.

I understand what you're saying, but - speaking for myself - I've seen Yolanda with her children and it's made me dislike her even more.  I think that showing time with children opens the HWs up to lots more criticism.  And personally, I'm pretty confident that seeing Brandi with her children would not endear her to me in the slightest.  I think she is what we see, and it would take a lot to convince me that her personality has any depth at all.

We only saw very fleeting glimpses of Adrienne & Paul's children, and yet the Maloofs were more multi-dimensional than Brandi has ever been.  I thought Camille was fascinating, and her children were barely shown.   From the beginning I've found Brandi to be predictable and one-note.  I think that's the way she is - no interests & nothing worthwhile to occupy her time because she chooses to live a shallow life.   So she can pout all she wants (victim yet again!), but personally I'm  glad we're not seeing her interact with her kids as I'm very sure it would make my blood pressure rise.

• Love 12
(edited)

One of the things that consistently bothers me about the BH housewives is that they don't understand the expression, "a hot minute" or "it's been a minute." They always use it as if "minute" means a short amount of time, when it's the exact opposite. "I haven't seen you in a minute" means I haven't seen you in a while. I know I'm nitpicking but it happens all the time on this show.

So when Brandi said Taylor wrote her book in a hot minute-did she use it correctly or incorrectly?  I took it to mean she wrote the book soon after his death but it actually came out six months or so after he died.  Until you mentioned it I had the context completely wrong.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

So when Brandi said Taylor wrote her book in a hot minute-did she use it correctly or incorrectly?  I took it to mean she wrote the book soon after his death but it actually came out six months or so after he died.  Until you mentioned it I had the context completely wrong.  Thanks for setting me straight.

I've never thought the phrase "a hot minute" was meant as a long amount of time, but guess what, I just learned that I was wrong! Maybe I was confusing it with "a New York minute" which means a short time. Hmmm....the things you learn while reading Previously TV forums! Thanks for the info!

• Love 3

She used it incorrectly - she meant that it came out soon after his death. I think "in a minute" is a Southern thing.

Thanks Phil-I too, thought it was like a New York minute.  Someone needs to school these ladies on their usage.

• Love 1

I'm going to call BS on Kyle being upset with Brandi. I think Kyle enjoys being on the show, showcasing her lifestyle, her friends, her trips, her parties. After 4 decades, I'm sure she is over Kim's drama. I don't think Kyle minds too much that Brandi gets the bad girl edit because Kyle gets by pretty much unscathed. Plus, she probably secretly relieved that Kim has a second go to "care-taker in Brandi. If there's no Brandi, the focus would be more on Kyle to bring the drama with her other friends/co-stars and I think she would rather not; and leave the drama to Brandi.

After almost 20 years of my sister's drama, I am not over it.  They find different ways of coming at you.  My sister is mad at me because I paid her rent then asked her for her next paycheck so I can pay myself back and pay her outstanding bills.  We haven't spoken for two weeks.  She thinks I am trying to control her and I am the one out of $$$$.  Kyle doesn't have a problem with Kim having friends.  Kyle has a problem, IMO, with Kim having friends that will make the situation worse.  Brandi's reputation proceeds her.  Kyle's mistake was accommodating Brandi in the first place.  When Brandi arrived at that party, Kyle should have walked up to her and asked her to leave.  If she did not leave, she should have had security escort her out without another word. 

Do I feel bad Kim had to deal with that?  Yes.

Does she get a pass for turning to drugs and alcohol to cope with her perceived failure?  Nope.

She's an adult.  No one's parents were perfect.  Figure your shit out and handle it.  Don't expect the world to give you any sympathy because you found life too hard to handle so you drowned yourself in substances.  No one had a storybook childhood, we all had shit to overcome, some of us chose not to do it with pills.

I think people need to be reminded of this often.

• Love 13

Thanks to CatMomma, I just watched There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane again. Wow. It's heavy. I'm trying to understand the family's grief and search for an alternative explanation, but it's really not that complicated - it's easy to drive the wrong way when enibriated, let alone when you have both pot and alcohol in your system. 10 drinks!

The part that stood out for me - and I think this relates to Kim and our discussion here - is how dismissive the sister-in-law was about Diane's pot use. She said she knew Diane smoked pot, and smoked it regularly, but then said "only to help her fall asleep." I have a feeling her drinking habit was similar, but you wouldn't know it from her husband or S-I-L, who practically describe her as above reproach. If someone smoked pot regularly, maybe nightly, why is it such a stretch to believe she took some with her on a camping trip? And why are they denying it even after the autopsy revealed it was in her system?

Similar to Kim, I think she kept her drinking or pot use as hidden as possible. That's why Kim's secretive nature, and anyone and everyone who enables her, is a recipe for disaster. Kim's dog bit Kyle's daughter, and although nobody died, it was pretty serious, and I wonder if it was a wake-up call for Kyle and Mauricio. After the dog bite (and Kim evidently blamed Alexia), after watching Kim high as a kite in the limo ride with Lisa R., how do you trust your kids with her? There's Something Wrong with Aunt Kim.

• Love 12

Thanks to CatMomma, I just watched There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane again. Wow. It's heavy. I'm trying to understand the family's grief and search for an alternative explanation, but it's really not that complicated - it's easy to drive the wrong way when enibriated, let alone when you have both pot and alcohol in your system. 10 drinks!

The part that stood out for me - and I think this relates to Kim and our discussion here - is how dismissive the sister-in-law was about Diane's pot use. She said she knew Diane smoked pot, and smoked it regularly, but then said "only to help her fall asleep." I have a feeling her drinking habit was similar, but you wouldn't know it from her husband or S-I-L, who practically describe her as above reproach. If someone smoked pot regularly, maybe nightly, why is it such a stretch to believe she took some with her on a camping trip? And why are they denying it even after the autopsy revealed it was in her system?

Similar to Kim, I think she kept her drinking or pot use as hidden as possible. That's why Kim's secretive nature, and anyone and everyone who enables her, is a recipe for disaster. Kim's dog bit Kyle's daughter, and although nobody died, it was pretty serious, and I wonder if it was a wake-up call for Kyle and Mauricio. After the dog bite (and Kim evidently blamed Alexia), after watching Kim high as a kite in the limo ride with Lisa R., how do you trust your kids with her? There's Something Wrong with Aunt Kim.

The trainer from last season said that the producers built an area outside for the dog, something like a small kennel, where Kingsley could stay while they were filming there, yet Kim kept him in her bedroom and no one was allowed to enter. It is a very strong possibility that Kim had drugs stashed in her room and that is why she kept the dog in there, despite his penchant for biting, when there was company over. She was trying to make sure no one entered her room and found anything. I would not put it past her.

• Love 3

Thanks for the video post. It was the first time I watched it, it was heart breaking. The pain, the anger and the damage this woman caused to so many people is heart wrenching. No one ever wants to believe that someone they love would/could ever be that reckless but as we saw, it does happen. I can not imagine how hard it will be for them to remove the blinders and face the facts, it will be like another death in the family.

• Love 1

I understand what you're saying, but - speaking for myself - I've seen Yolanda with her children and it's made me dislike her even more.  I think that showing time with children opens the HWs up to lots more criticism.  And personally, I'm pretty confident that seeing Brandi with her children would not endear her to me in the slightest.  I think she is what we see, and it would take a lot to convince me that her personality has any depth at all.

We only saw very fleeting glimpses of Adrienne & Paul's children, and yet the Maloofs were more multi-dimensional than Brandi has ever been.  I thought Camille was fascinating, and her children were barely shown.   From the beginning I've found Brandi to be predictable and one-note.  I think that's the way she is - no interests & nothing worthwhile to occupy her time because she chooses to live a shallow life.   So she can pout all she wants (victim yet again!), but personally I'm  glad we're not seeing her interact with her kids as I'm very sure it would make my blood pressure rise.

Here's my whole quote including the following sentences after the "one" you included:

"Brandi should get the "Foot in the Mouth Award" because every other sentence we hear of hers is awful. Even Brandi has said it's tough when all the other HW can show their time with their children to soften them and show depth of personality...she can't. The woman doesn't seem to have one hobby she can share with us. It's as if she sadly has a vacant life without being able to film with her kids. Not dating anyone either...all she has is a hairstylist, a friend and Kim. :( She seems to have no joy this season.

Edited to add: Brandi appears to have burned her bridges with some of the ladies...they just don't see her as funny anymore...past fans have also reconsidered supporting her."

We agree on her having no hobbies, boyfriend and that her life is "vacant" (my word) or "shallow" as you've said. It is Brandi who complained numerous times that she would have liked to have shown her children on RHOBH...not me. I said she should get an award for "Hoof and Mouth Disease" based on the number of awful sentences coming out of her mouth. So again we are in agreement.

Sorry to have given the impression that I was supporting seeing her with her children on TV.   Thanks for giving me the opportunity to correct the misunderstanding. :)

Edited by RealityTVSmack1
  • Love 2

Wonderful insightful post...thank you. So very true...there comes a time when you must make your children and husband your priority over a addicted sibling or parent.   After reading your post and watching "Aunt Kim" this is the time for Kyle to never trust Kim with any of her children. Clinging onto a man-eating dog is just another example of why Kyle needs to never allow her children to visit her sister's home. Those days should be over.

• Love 6

Here's my whole quote including the following sentences after the "one" you included:

We agree on her having no hobbies, boyfriend and that her life is "vacant" (my word) or "shallow" as you've said. It is Brandi who complained numerous times that she would have liked to have shown her children on RHOBH...not me. I said she should get an award for "Hoof and Mouth Disease" based on the number of awful sentences coming out of her mouth. So again we are in agreement.

Sorry to have given the impression that I was supporting seeing her with her children on TV.   Thanks for giving me the opportunity to correct the misunderstanding. :)

What I was responding to had more to do with what you wrote before the statement I quoted:

"Maybe we should be a little more understanding that there's a strain when trying to live your true life before a camera and wanting to look and be the best.  Because no matter what...the edit could include or exclude information. That's what they signed up for."

A few sentences later you said,  "Even Brandi has said it's tough when all the other HW can show their time with their children to soften them and show depth of personality...she can't."

It did sound to me somewhat like a defense of Brandi, and that's what I was responding to when I wrote that I understood what you were saying, but that I don't think Brandi has a valid argument.   I did read your entire post, including the "Hoof and Mouth" reference, so I knew we were somewhat on the same page.  The bulk of my reply was really more of a rant aimed at Brandi (or anyone interested!) rather than at you specifically.

I certainly could have done a better job of quoting so my intent would have been more clear, and I apologize for that.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 2

Watched the documentary and was mortified by the horrific devastation caused by mixing toxic substances and the consequences to the brain. Was she medicating herself for a tooth abscess...don't know?

It shows how critical any illness becomes when there is added substance abuse problems...even in Kim's case.  Bronchial pneumonia resulting in excessive coughing causing a hiatus hernia and rib problem.  Taking substances prescribed for another and acting in an irrational way instead of seeking medical treatment.  Kim seems very confused about how many days she was in the hospital or what day an event took place.  IMO she seriously needs to be under the care of a team of medical professionals not filming RHOBH.

• Love 5

Kyle has a problem, IMO, with Kim having friends that will make the situation worse.  Brandi's reputation proceeds her.

Kyle didn't have any problems with Brandi being friends with Kim in the limo on the way to the poker party.  Brandi's reputation does precede her.  And Kim is an addict.  But Kyle was mad at Brandi for calling Kyle out for things Kyle says are untrue.  Not for worrying that Brandi will lead Kim down the wrong path sobriety-wise - that's her more recent excuse.  I don't believe that it was Kim's recent slip that made Kyle change her mind about Brandi.  Even at the tops and bottoms party Kyle is still saying that she was mad that Brandi was keeping her from talking to Kim, not that she was worried that Brandi was a bad influence on her sobriety.

• Love 3

I want to thank everyone for posting here - I really learn a lot from all of you.  Your comments make me think deeply about some things that don't come up/aren't discussed between me and my family/friends.

Two questions about Kim:  1) By bringing Brandi to the Hilton family Christmas party, isn't she trying to recreate Gay Mixer Night?  Why bring a "date" that your sister doesn't get along with to a fun, relaxing holiday event unless you are trying to stir up trouble?  At least Kyle was smart enough to stay away and not feed into this.  It looks like a giant FU to Kyle from our sweet little Kimmie.

2)  There was a post about three pages back that quoted a friend of Kyle's saying that Kyle has been worried, not about Kim taking Monty's cancer medication, but lying about the scenario and being back on Xanax.  Reading between the lines, it seems that Kyle has seen Kim acting/looking that way before and that was the cause.  I don't know much about Xanax except that it seems to be a drug of choice in BH and that Brandi took/takes it for anxiety about flying (Hawaii trip?) and washes it down with champagne (not recommended? Ha!).  Could Brandi and Kim be Xanax buddies?  Is this why Kim claims sobriety because she is not drinking but taking Xanax doesn't count because she has a prescription?

• Love 9

Thanks Phil-I too, thought it was like a New York minute.  Someone needs to school these ladies on their usage.

I am loving this. It's like "Schoolhouse Rock" around here. Entertainment mixed with a lesson.  First Ryebread informs that the word "moist" is considered disgusting to some and there is a whole deal about the word, and now I learn I am using "hot minute" wrong. I guess that means that ultimately watching this show is making me smarter, vs. what my husband believes? 

Thanks Phil!

• Love 6

Excellent point, renatae!   Kyle never, to my knowledge, forbade Kim from being friends with Brandi.  Kyle just did not appreciate her intruding on and inserting herself into their relationship ("They" being Kim and Kyle), but hasn't on camera told Kim to cut Brandi loose (not yet at least).  Brandi and Kim are always too high to get the subtle as a sledgehammer difference, though.   

I think this is a critical point, which completely negates Brandi's entire argument. 

Clearly Kyle knew that Brandi and Kim had become close. She might not have known how close they were, but she knew they were close enough for Kim to be calling Brandi at 2AM. She didn't seemed bothered or insecure about this in the least. When they got in the limo to ride to Eileen's, Kyle seemed to be relaxed and almost enjoying the fact that she had someone to talk to Kim about. That is something that Kyle has never had on this show, because for the most part Kim has never been close to anyone else.  Adrienne was nice to her, but that was really it. There was no one else who cared a lot about Kim for Kyle to talk with about her worries.  I thought this was an extremely relevant scene, because you rarely hear Kyle talk about her mother to others. Outside of the comments she has made in her TH interviews, I don't think I have ever even heard Kyle mention her mom to another HW. Yet here she was sharing with Brandi in a way that seemed like she trusted her and felt like she understood more than the other gals and she could relax and confide in her a bit. There did not seem to be a bit of concern about Kim being friends with Brandi - just the opposite.  Until it became clear that Brandi was trying to keep Kim from Kyle.  I can only imagine Kyle's outrage when she actually saw the show and heard the things that Brandi was saying to Kim.  

• Love 8

Kyle didn't have any problems with Brandi being friends with Kim in the limo on the way to the poker party.  Brandi's reputation does precede her.  And Kim is an addict.  But Kyle was mad at Brandi for calling Kyle out for things Kyle says are untrue.  Not for worrying that Brandi will lead Kim down the wrong path sobriety-wise - that's her more recent excuse.  I don't believe that it was Kim's recent slip that made Kyle change her mind about Brandi.  Even at the tops and bottoms party Kyle is still saying that she was mad that Brandi was keeping her from talking to Kim, not that she was worried that Brandi was a bad influence on her sobriety.

You are correct Jinger because Kyle is never allowed to speculate on Kim's state of sobriety.  Kyle asked Kim in the bathroom and we saw the results when an inebriated Kim gets caught-even with her sister trying to make it private.  I do think Kyle was worried about Kim's new found love of Brandi given their on camera performance at Eileen's.  It has always been hard for Kim to develop any type of relationship with any other RH. She was nice to Adrienne for a bit, she and Yolanda never truly clicked, Joyce was nice but Kim had zero interest in defending her against Brandi at the Reunion, even though Joyce helped her with her graduation party.  So here we are in Season 5 and Kim is alienating not one but two cast members with her boorish and rude behavior.  I think the sobriety is something Kyle accepts Kim's word on.

So Brandi unilaterally decides to protect Kim and doesn't get that she has drawn far more attention to Kim's state of mind by the ridiculous herding and clamoring over Kim.  Once Kyle and Kim were having a conversation, that was somewhat private, Brandi bulldozed her way in screaming about how Kyle isn't there for Kim.  Well she was there for her at that moment and it was Brandi that was trying to break them up.  Kim has set forth a very conditional sobriety-so it is Kim's rules.

I think Kyle's problem is and will be that Brandi is very hateful to her, one of Kim's family members and at the same time Kim expects that family member to be there for her in spite of her friends frequent attacks.  Is there any reason that Kim and Brandi can't have a friendship and Kim not bring Brandi around when Kyle is there?  I mean we are talking about Kim specific intent to bring Brandi to one of Kyle's parties, unannounced and uninvited.   In the off season Brandi has been vicious towards Kyle claiming she, Brandi was invited to Kathy Hilton's holiday party and Kyle was not.  Even someone as self-absorbed as Kim has to see that she is fueling the massive ego that is Brandi's by including her in family events only to have Brandi lord it over Kyle.

• Love 5

I want to thank everyone for posting here - I really learn a lot from all of you.  Your comments make me think deeply about some things that don't come up/aren't discussed between me and my family/friends.

Two questions about Kim:  1) By bringing Brandi to the Hilton family Christmas party, isn't she trying to recreate Gay Mixer Night?  Why bring a "date" that your sister doesn't get along with to a fun, relaxing holiday event unless you are trying to stir up trouble?  At least Kyle was smart enough to stay away and not feed into this.  It looks like a giant FU to Kyle from our sweet little Kimmie.

2)  There was a post about three pages back that quoted a friend of Kyle's saying that Kyle has been worried, not about Kim taking Monty's cancer medication, but lying about the scenario and being back on Xanax.  Reading between the lines, it seems that Kyle has seen Kim acting/looking that way before and that was the cause.  I don't know much about Xanax except that it seems to be a drug of choice in BH and that Brandi took/takes it for anxiety about flying (Hawaii trip?) and washes it down with champagne (not recommended? Ha!).  Could Brandi and Kim be Xanax buddies?  Is this why Kim claims sobriety because she is not drinking but taking Xanax doesn't count because she has a prescription?

OMG I hope Brandi isn't giving Kim her Xanax??????   Could that be why Kim seems so dependent on Brandi????

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2015/02/kim-richards-sober-kyle-richards-xanax-cancer-medication/

• Love 1

I believe that we agree.  I did not say anything about Brandi influencing Kim's sobriety.  She cannot influence Kim's sobriety, but she can make the family dynamic worse by being a negative influence.

I think Kyle would have preferred that Brandi and Kim were not friendly, but there was no real issue to address initially.  Kim hides her secrets so I can see where Kyle did not think Kim would discuss family business with Brandi.  Plus, Kyle and Brandi were friendly so I can see where Kyle didn't think she needed to intervene because she thought everything was cordial.  Next thing she knows, Brandi has insinuated herself into their dysfunction and undermining the relationship between Kyle and Kim.  Um no, hell no.

Kyle also recognizes that Kim is using Brandi to do her bidding.  Kim has never had a problem expressing her POV to Kyle about their family stuff, but I suspect it absolutely infuriates Kyle that Kim is using Brandi to blast Kyle.  I am not saying that Kyle has not done her share of dirt, but Kim is waging war by bringing Brandi and her scorched earth tactics to an ongoing sisterly tug of war.

• Love 6

Kim is not sober, she is still getting high. Kim's "community" should not include any active addicts/alcoholics, like Brandi, because they enable each others addictions, not encourage sobriety. IMO, Brandi is using Kim for camera time, not Kyle.

Agreed. Although, Kim's "community" should be of the weekly meeting kind aka NA & AA.

• Love 5

Agreed. Although, Kim's "community" should be of the weekly meeting kind aka NA & AA.

At this point, IMO, Kim needs long term in-house treatment. She can not get what she needs in 90 days as we have already seen but I don't think she would stay. Didn't she leave rehab early the last time? I just don't see Kim doing the work she needs to do to stay clean for any length of time, ever.

• Love 8

Why all the Kim hate?

Kim is my favorite one of the real housewives. Yes, she fucked up in the previous episode. So what. 

At the party she was 100% in the right to tell Kyle that she was disappointed in her. Kyle was just trying to use Kim to drum up drama for herself, as usual. Kim doesn't particiate in the fake fights. When she does fight they are real and they are heart breaking to watch. She brings some much needed actual reality to this show. She is the only one on this show who is actually a respectable human being. Yes, she is an addict, get over it. When she is sober she has more character and integrity then all of these other women put together.

Kyle was just mad because Kim has a friend. That women needs counseling. How she tries to constantly try to get between Kim and the other women, and then come in a "defend her sister" is not healthy. She wants to isolate Kim, when Kim is in a place where she is in desperate need of a community. She is fucking with her sister's sobriety for a little bit more camera time and it is gross. 

Kyle should have just been an adult and ignored Brandi. She just wanted attention and used her sister to get it. She can't stand that Kim has her own life right now so is trying to take her down.

I wouldn't call it hate. Fed up, over it, might be the more appropriate term. I'm calling a spade a spade, and Kim Richards is a piece of work and manipulator. In short, an addict. Up until about half way through last season I saw things pretty similarly as you regarding Kim. But the truth is, she's an addict who is hooked on pills or drugs and will claw, lie and play the blame game and victim, and then turn the table around on the other person. Classic addict behavior.

• Love 12

At this point, IMO, Kim needs long term in-house treatment. She can not get what she needs in 90 days as we have already seen but I don't think she would stay. Didn't she leave rehab early the last time? I just don't see Kim doing the work she needs to do to stay clean for any length of time, ever.

The treatment she went in for addressed the alcoholism. I don't think she had the courage to address her drug problem. She, of course, remains in denial.

She did leave rehab for 2 days I think -- I don't recall the specifics, maybe someone can fill in the blanks, but I thought she made those up at the end. Was her rehab only 30 days?

• Love 1

She did leave rehab for 2 days I think -- I don't recall the specifics, maybe someone can fill in the blanks, but I thought she made those up at the end. Was her rehab only 30 days?

Yes and there were reports that she was pushing back against doing 30 days and/or she did not like the facility/treatment plan. She may have even changed facilities.
  • Love 3

I am loving this. It's like "Schoolhouse Rock" around here. Entertainment mixed with a lesson.  First Ryebread informs that the word "moist" is considered disgusting to some and there is a whole deal about the word, and now I learn I am using "hot minute" wrong. I guess that means that ultimately watching this show is making me smarter, vs. what my husband believes? 

Thanks Phil!

What is funny is that "hot minute" generally means an extra long time: for example, not having seen someone in "a hot minute" could mean you haven't seen them in years. So, "a minute" is a while, and "a hot minute" is an extra long while. It's like the diametric opposite of what Brandi meant with Taylor in the Season 2 reunion! I believe Kyle used "In a minute" in this past episode, it's been a somewhat consistent thing in this show.

• Love 2

What is funny is that "hot minute" generally means an extra long time: for example, not having seen someone in "a hot minute" could mean you haven't seen them in years. So, "a minute" is a while, and "a hot minute" is an extra long while. It's like the diametric opposite of what Brandi meant with Taylor in the Season 2 reunion! I believe Kyle used "In a minute" in this past episode, it's been a somewhat consistent thing in this show.

While you are schooling these women about pop culture, could you please ask the women to put their gifts of wine, champagne and spirits in a box or bag.  It drives me nuts they roll up in a limo and thrust a bottle-it seems to be a bottle of rose champagne in the hostess hand.  It is semi-okay for men to do it but these ladies should know better.

• Love 3

You may be right that Kyle has beef with Brandi for reasons unrelated to her sister's sobriety, or lack thereof. From what I remember Kyle was adamantly against Brandi from the beginning and then they made up after Adrienne left but Brandi keeps biting back with low blows continuing the cycle. Every time they go on their bff hikes, there is a blow up around the corner but I think for the most part, Kyle considers them friends and wasn't concerned about Brandi spending time with Kim.

But the poker party wasn't related to that. Kim was clearly on something and even if Kyle had self-serving reasons, she was trying to get to the bottom of the situation. Brandi was just making excuses for Kim and feeding her pizza like she's a drunk sorority girl and not a full-grown woman with a nasty addiction. At that point Kim's 'three years of sobriety' were already out the window but by not letting Kyle address the situation and assess Kim's state of mind, Brandi was endangering her so-called friend.

I agree with those that say that Kim is the only one responsible for her sobriety. She should be held accountable. But when she does slip up and Kyle is available to try to help her (even if she has self-serving reasons) no one should try to waive it off as stress-related and expect Kim to sleep it off, Brandi or otherwise. I imagine Kyle would have reacted the same way had anyone else behaved the way Brandi did.

As for the fight at the gay mixer, I swear that was the most poorly edited thing I've ever seen on television and I have no idea what that's about. It very well just boil down to Kyle's issues with Brandi. But Brandi was certainly in the wrong at poker night and Kyle had every right to protect her sister, even if it meant accidentally slicing Brandi's arm open with a charm bracelet.

I hadn't thought of it but that's certainly a good theory. Brandi is the self-proclaimed xanax queen so she certainly isn't a good companion for a recovering addict. I think Brandi is bad for Kim just because she enables her by using Monty's cancer as an excuse for Kim to take sedatives. Yes, it's stressful to care for someone who is ill while you plan your daughter's wedding, but if Brandi was a good friend she would actually help relieve that stress by offering to help Kim. Right now she's just admonishing her for taking Monty's drugs but then laughing it off and saying it's okay because she's really stressed with no one to help her. So if she's taking it further and actually supplying Kim with drugs and conspiring to blame it on Monty, then they both make me sick and I certainly don't blame Kyle for trying to get her sister away from Brandi.

• Love 5

And, a "red hot minute" is longer than a "hot minute". lol

• Love 2

Xanax is highly addictive. It has a 3 day half life which means it stays in your system for 3 days..more then any other drug. It's also known as "liquor in a pill" so taking Xanax is the same as drinking. Often when you are detoxed off it you are required to go to AA because it so closely related to alcohol addiction. Lastly Xanax withdrawal is second only to herion in the hell of withdrawal and stopping cold turkey can cause a heart attack. It is a nasty nasty drugand Brandi laughing about taking it makes me ill.

On a lighter note---Does YoYo have a closet in her in her house she keeps those kids in? All we heard for so long was gigi,gigi,gigi, I didn't even know she had other kids. Then gigi leaves ands its all bella,bela,bella. then bella leaves and its' all  anwar.anwar,anwar. She have any more kids we don't know about? If anwar becomes a model will threre will be another kid we never heard about before??

• Love 7

I had no idea about the "hot minute" stuff.  I thought it meant EXTRA fast, as in "so hot you put it down quickly."  I'm trying to wrap my head around it meaning "slow/long time" but I still don't get where that imagery comes from.  Ha.

Still no blog from Kim.  While checking, something really struck me.  The title of Kyle's blog is "Kyle: Brandi Puts Out Lies, Hoping They Will Stick."  She reinforces that theme in the body of her blog.  It suddenly hit me that it's a defensive maneuver, so she can, if needed, point out later, "SEE!  I TOLD YOU SO, WAY BACK THEN!"  I think she's terrified of what Kim has told Brandi about family "secrets" and Kyle, probably Maurice (as Kim calls him) and possibly even the cigar comment that froze Kyle during poker night.

I honestly don't think Brandi would give Kim drugs, or encourage her to drink, or in any way deliberately undermine her sobriety.  She's friends with Jennifer, is that her name?  I think Brandi knows what recovery means, and while she may be many things, I can't see her doing that.  She does know the process.  She may even be too understanding, which could border on enabling.  It just feels to me that when Kim slips, or is tempted by stress *and she has had a lot for an addict, with Monty, with the two weddings, possibly even with her return to acting on REVENGE* she would call a person who would pick up the phone at 2AM.  I can almost hear Brandi saying "It's OK, you slipped, you start again tomorrow."  The problem is, if Brandi had overindulged before the phone call, would she be at her best?  No.

As far as the 2AM phone call though, I just don't find that so strange.  There used to be a saying, something like "Which friend could you call at 2AM?"  I'm lucky in that I have a few friend like that, and I hope (know) that my friends know they could call me.  Crisis don't always happen at convenient hours, and yeah, that may be more true for someone fighting addiction issues.  I've had a few of those calls over the years, usually because of a death or other crisis. 

One last thing, I do think that Brandi was shocked and probably extremely concerned when she actually picked up the phone to call Kyle about Kim.  Maybe Kim was talking about suicide, or felt so hopeless she couldn't see the point of staying sober, or was so out of it that Brandi was scared silly?  If it was really bad, a "friend" or "work friend" WOULD call family, because at a certain point, especially with such a recent friendship, I can see not only thinking "This is way beyond my pay grade" but also, "OMG, what if she dies and I didn't call her family?"  

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4