Type keyword(s) to search

I Hate Myself For Loving You: Songs You Love Despite Lyrics You Hate

Bastet
  • Start Topic

It's simple: If a song contains lyrics that offend you, you don’t listen to it, right?  Not always, at least in my case.  What are the songs you enjoy despite lyrics that make you cringe?

Behind Closed Doors – It’s the awful “She's a lady in the living room and a whore in the bedroom” fantasy set to music.  But it’s such beautiful piano music, with Charlie Rich’s voice, so I’ve learned to disassociate.  Plus, it was featured in a hilarious episode of Designing Women, so I just cannot hate it.

Sweet Home Alabama – I’ll grant some of the lyrics are more ambiguous than the “This is a full-throated defense of racist southerners” argument suggests, but they’re problematic enough (especially the ones I’ve never heard the band offer up an alternate meaning to) that I shouldn’t be rocking out to this song.  And yet, when they tell me to “turn it up,” I do.

In the Summertime – “If her daddy’s rich, take her out for a meal, if her daddy’s poor, just do what you feel”?  And I am listening to this shit because it’s got a cool beat and carefree sound?  Yes.  Yes, I am.  It comes on the radio, I bop along, then it gets to that line and I think, “Oh yeah, I keep (willfully) forgetting that” and change the station.

She’s a Lady – It’s Tom Jones, so what do I expect?  But it’s Tom Jones, so a part of me can’t help but love the overall sound of the song despite the patronizing lyrics.

Baby Got Back – It reduces women to their body parts.  But, at the time it came out, it was strangely refreshing to have my big ass celebrated when every other media offering promoted a very different standard of beauty.  And how can I not laugh at the anaconda line?  So I confess I still listen to this song.

• Love 7

I wouldn't be offended at all if someone called me a lady in the living room and a whore in the bedroom. 

Also, I don't find it offensive to be called a Lady, as in Tom Jones' lyrics.  Guess I'm just old.  Or easy.

• Love 1

Hate is too strong a word. But lyrics that get me down. The Dropkick Murphys have a song called Four Dead Cheerleaders. I thought from the upbeat tune that it would be some kind of Heathers-esque thing, rather than about teen abuse, neglect, and suicide.

As a proud feminist (the good old militant old-fashioned kind of yore), I am mortified to admit that I like:

"Me So Horny" (2LiveCrew) 

"Shake That" (Eminem)

Life as a hook,bass, and beat junkie can really put you in low places.

• Love 5

Two songs that fit this for me are both Rolling Stones songs: Brown Sugar and Under My Thumb. Brown Sugar because it's so racist and sexist, but goddamn is it fucking catchy, and Under My Thumb because of how anti-woman it is, referring to the woman as a "pet" and a "squirming dog" and basically just celebrating breaking the will of a woman, yet the marimbas and the whole of the music itself are so glorious. Thus scratches the surface of my love/hate relationship with The Rolling Stones.

• Love 2

Well, I would have added "Blurred Lines" to this category, but then Weird Al created "Word Crimes," filling my girlish, grammarian heart with glee.  So now I just listen to that song.

"Gold Digger" by Kanye -- such a catchy song if I ignore the lyrics that paint women as greedy gold-diggers looking to trap men by getting pregnant.

• Love 2

I was thinking Blurred Lines, too.  In fact, when the rap part comes on, I do have to tune out for a minute.

Also, Rag Doll by Aerosmith and Same Old Situation by Motley Crue.  Incredibly misogynistic, but I still like them.

Okay,"hate" is probably too strong a word, but I have issues with the last verse of the Beach Boys' "Fun, Fun, Fun" for the implication that protagonist can still go out with her friends although she's been banned from driving the parental vehicle. If I had tried to pull off what she did, my butt would've been grounded. But I still crank it every time it comes on.

I'm pretty sure the implication in the last verse is that her friends are sneaking her out without Daddy's permission.

Most of my songs in this category are ones I hate because the lyrics are stupid and pretentious rather than offensive, because I am a thirtysomething woman with a soft spot for rock music aimed at angry teenagers. But the insulting one with a gorgeous tune that always gets me is Jolene.

"She Came to Give It to You" by Usher. It's a collabo with Nicki Minaj (who I don't like to begin with), & everything is great except for this one line she raps "Don't be like OJ and forget your glove" Really? Why would anybody put that in a song?

DkNNy79, on 24 Feb 2015 - 2:21 PM, said:

"You're Making It Hard For Me" by Too Close.  Lots of lyrics in this song that make me uncomfortable.  The idea of a guy getting hard while dancing with me skeeves me out.

Are you talking about "Too Close" by Next?

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 1

Mine are....

Player's Anthem by Notorious B.I.G. - Here is the chorus:  N*****, rub your cocks if you love hip-hop, bitches, rub your titties if you love Big Pop.  WTF?  But the beat had me, dammit.

Rump Shaker by Wrecks in Effect - Like Baby Got Back, it was all about the ass.  However, I do recite 'All I wanna do is zooma-zoom-zoom-zoom in the boom-boom' to Mr. Stud once in a while just for laughs.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 2

Taylor Swift's "Better Than Revenge", which is about how Joe Jonas broke up with her over the phone for actress Camilla Belle. The lyrics include some RIDICULOUS levels of slut-shaming--not that getting cheated on isn't painful, of course--but DAMN. Some of these lyrics. And yet, God help me, I still like it. It's definitely descriptive enough to be interesting, and the music itself is good enough for me to (mostly) forgive the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAb-qwEuwn4

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

You guys have a lot more legit reasons for disliking songs than what I'm about to mention (not that I don't agree), but:  "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon is annoying the shit out of me lately, although it's super catchy.  First of all: " 'Oh don't you dare look back / Just keep your eyes on me' / I said 'You're holding back' / She said 'Shut up and dance with me.' "  That doesn't make any freaking sense.  Is she pulling you onto the dance floor and forcing you to dance, or is she holding back?  Because it can't be both.  Secondly, "This woman is my destiny."  Shut up.  Gross.  Ugh.  I hate that.  Finally, just in general, she's a manic pixie dream girl and it's simply off-putting.  But the song's so catchy, it kind of makes me envious of people who don't understand English.

Edited by janie jones

It's so rare to see a genuine, honest to God rock song in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 now, that even if some of the lyrics don't make sense, I love the song enough where I really don't care :) .

Is she pulling you onto the dance floor and forcing you to dance, or is she holding back?  Because it can't be both.

She's telling him to focus only on her, not on anything else that might be going on around them, and telling him to shut up and dance with an implied 'stop asking questions.' She's holding back information. There are three equally likely possibilities:

1. She's telling him she just wants to dance, not be soulmates, and he is not getting it at all.

2. She's telling him, "no, I totally get you, but what's happening here is the kind of awesome that doesn't need words."

3. He's Chuck, she's Sarah, and she's trying to keep him from noticing the team of international assassins creeping up on them.

• Love 2

I like "High on You" by Survivor, in spite of its sexist lyrics. The bolded parts being the lyrics that were rather offensive. They sound like he's punishing her looking good. And then he's bragging about her and the other women. The rest of the bolded lyrics are in a similar vein.

Here they are:

There you stood, that'll teach her
To look so good and feel so right
Let me tell you about
The girl I met last night

It's understood, I had to reach her
I let the wheel of fortune spin
I touched your hand before
The crowd started crashin' in

Now I'm higher than a kite
I know I'm getting hooked on your love
Talkin' to myself, runnin' in the heat
Beggin' for your touch
In the middle of the street

And I, I can't stop thinkin' about you, girl
I must be livin' in a fantasy world
I'm so high on you

Smart and coy, a little crazy
The kind of face that starts a fight
Let me tell you about
The girl I had last night

Piercin' eyes, like a raven
You seemed to share my secret sin
We were high before
The night started kickin' in

Now I'm screamin' in the night
Beggin' for your touch

I've searched the whole world over
To find a heart so true
Such complete intoxication
I'm high on you

There you stood, that'll teach her
To look so good and feel so right
Let me tell you about
The girl I met last night

Now I'm higher than a kite
Beggin' for your touch

I've searched the whole world over
To find a heart so true
Such complete intoxication
I'm high on you
I'm high on you
I'm high on you

• Love 1

Nick Jonas' Jealous is a song I like way too much despite the repeated use of the following:

I mean no disrespect
It's my right to be hellish
I still get jealous

No, it isn't. STFU.

• Love 5

Nick Jonas' Jealous is a song I like way too much despite the repeated use of the following:

I mean no disrespect

It's my right to be hellish

I still get jealous

No, it isn't. STFU.

So totally agree, especially since he has been quoted as saying it's based on his real life relationship with his girlfriend.  Who just so happens to be Miss Universe.  if you're dating Miss Universe you have to expect other guys are going to look at her.

• Love 2
(edited)

"I Don't Mind" by Usher: I like Usher and, crusty old fart that I am, I'm glad he's still in the game, but this song? Look, it has a great beat, and Usher sings it real well, but I am not crazy about the lyric that goes something like "You can dance on a pole/I won't think you're a whore". Golly gee whiz, thanks a load, Usher! That sure is big of you, you patronizing ass! Still like it, but that lyric irks me.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by the Beatles: Looooooong before rappers got heat for writing songs regarding violence toward women, the Fab Four got away with it with this cheery little ditty. I do love the juxtaposition between the chipper music and the dark lyrics, but I do have to wonder at myself for liking it, since I do consider myself  a feminist. It is a guilty pleasure, with a really heavy emphasis on the "guilty" part. What the hell, Beatles? How do you go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to this?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch

"I Don't Mind" by Usher: I like Usher and, crusty old fart that I am, I'm glad he's still in the game, but this song? Look, it has a great beat, and Usher sings it real well, but I am not crazy about the lyric that goes something like "You can dance on a pole/I won't think you're a whore". Golly gee whiz, thanks a load, Usher! That sure is big of you, you patronizing ass! Still like it, but that lyric irks me.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by the Beatles: Looooooong before rappers got heat for writing songs regarding violence toward women, the Fab Four got away with it with this cheery little ditty. I do love the juxtaposition between the chipper music and the dark lyrics, but I do have to wonder at myself for liking it, since I do consider myself  a feminist. It is a guilty pleasure, with a really heavy emphasis on the "guilty" part. What the hell, Beatles? How do you go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to this?

O_O about the latter. That is one MESSED up guy.

Not necessarily lyrics I hate... this song actually rings true in a way.

A John Lennon one, Working Class Hero.

Really, really dark. Was surprised to see the lyrics were the same as they were in Ozzy's take of it. 

"Maria" by Blondie. I love the beat and rhythm, but the lyrics are something else O_O.

Here they are:

She moves like she don't care
Smooth as silk, cool as air
Ooh it makes you wanna cry
She doesn't know your name
And your heart beats like a subway train
Ooh it makes you wanna die

Ooh, don't you wanna take her?
Ooh, wanna make her all your own?

Sexist much?

Maria, you've gotta see her
Go insane and out of your mind
Regina, Ave Maria
A million and one candle lights

I've seen this thing before
In my best friend and the boy next door
Fool for love and fool on fire

Won't come in from the rain
She's oceans running down the drain
Blue as ice and desire

Don't you wanna make her?
Ooh, don't you wanna take her home?

The usual guy can't control himself lusting over a woman he can't have.

Regina, Ave Maria

Ooh, don't you wanna break her?
Ooh, don't you wanna take her home?

More of the same!

She walks like she don't care
Walkin' on imported air
Ooh, it makes you wanna die

Regina, Ave Maria

Regina, Ave Maria

• Love 1

Life as a hook,bass, and beat junkie can really put you in low places.

Ah, yes! That's why I can agree with a lot of the songs you guys have listed. *hangs head*

My current on is 'Trap Queen' by Fetty Wep (sp?). First off, what kind of name is that? Second, there are lines in it about her working a pole and about making drugs. Yet! Yet, every damn time it comes on, I start dancing. I'm usually in the care so I'm dancing in my seat. It's getting to the point where I'm almost tired of hearing it so I'll be posting about it soon in another thread.

• Love 1

I would say that some of these lyrics aren't exactly promoting violent or stalker tendencies. Things like 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' and 'Maria' have never struck me as being FOR the things they're singing about. Paul McCartney wasn't saying 'Serial killers are the BEST!' There are lots of songs out there that are more statements on the subject than not.

Things like The Crystals singing "He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)" are the kinds of song that make me cringe because, honestly, I don't know if it's ironic and I rather think it's not. Or Vicki Carr's 'It Must Be Him.' Most of the stuff from the 50s and early 60s have lyrics that I'm fairly certain are meant to be taken at face value. I mean, I love listening to Bobby Vee's  "Take Good Care of My Baby" but it's also cringe inducing given that, you know, he was a shit so she left him but he's all sorry and telling the dude she's with now to a)be better to her than he was but b)if he doesn't really want her just pass her on back to him.

Because, yeah, pass her around like an object, douchenozzle.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just thought of two more to add to this list: "Honey, I'm Good" by Andy Grammer and "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" by Luke Bryan.  Both insanely catchy, and I could sing them all day.  But the gist of "Honey, I'm Good" is "Yeah, you are SMOKIN HOT and if I stayed, like, 10 minutes longer, I'd probably bang you.  But I've got a lady at home, so I'll just leave now", which isn't exactly a vote of confidence.  And "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" is pretty much "ooh, we are terrible for each other and should break up, but we should probably bang at least once more before you leave."   "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" I can at least write off as "well, I could see how this could maybe be sweet", but "Honey, I'm Good" just makes him sound like a dick.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1
(edited)

There is a spate of songs that have come out lately where guys are saying "Yeah, you're hot, but I'm going to stick with the woman I'm with."  "Cheerleader", by OMI, for example:

Not to mention his having a "magic wand".

Edited by Rick Kitchen

My beef with "Honey I'm Good" is the feeling I get that the singer is seeking out women who look like they'll invite him home just so he can go off about how monogamous he is.

And just how monogamous is he if all it takes to cheat is one extra drink?

• Love 5

99 Luftballons by Nena. Typical naive musician commentating on crap she doesn't comprehend. I never bothered to listen to the words until I recently bought it for a CD I'm making of old songs I like. But dammit I love the song! My consolation is her dance moves are laughably goofy.

Oh, I had to add Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I'm not offended by this one just grossed out by the graphic lyrics. But it's so catchy and I love the singer's voice. It's on my old timer CD.

How do you go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to this?

I Wanna Hold Your Hand was their gateway song.

Edited by bubbls

99 Luftballons by Nena. Typical naive musician commentating on crap she doesn't comprehend. I never bothered to listen to the words until I recently bought it for a CD I'm making of old songs I like. But dammit I love the song! My consolation is her dance moves are laughably goofy.

It's those tight 1980s pants. They'd warp your circulation but good!

How do you go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to this?

I Wanna Hold Your Hand was their gateway song.

LOL!

• Love 1

"She Came to Give It to You" by Usher. It's a collabo with Nicki Minaj (who I don't like to begin with), & everything is great except for this one line she raps "Don't be like OJ and forget your glove" Really? Why would anybody put that in a song?

I've never heard that song, but I agree with you. So is Nikki saying that it's okay to (allegedly) commit murder as long as you don't leave damning evidence behind?

And in OJ's case, the glove didn't fit--and they had to acquit. So I'm even more confused.