Type keyword(s) to search

I Hate Myself For Loving You: Songs You Love Despite Lyrics You Hate

Bastet
  • Start Topic

This classic song has the worst lyrics, but the tune is beautiful. Unfortunately, even as I enjoy the instrumental the words are running through my head:

my funny valentine,

Sweet comic valentine,

You make me smile with my heart.

Your looks are laughable, un-photographable,

Yet, you're my favorite work of art.

Is your figure less than Greek?

Is your mouth a little weak?

When you open it to speak, are you smart?

But, don't change a hair for me.

Not if you care for me.

Stay little valentine, stay!

Each day is Valentine's Day.

I'd highlight the offending lines, but they are all awful!! My husband plays the trumpet, and he knows never to serenade me with this one. Not in public. Not if he wants to live. But, man, the tune is gorgeous!

• Love 3

I've never heard that song, but I agree with you. So is Nikki saying that it's okay to (allegedly) commit murder as long as you don't leave damning evidence behind?

And in OJ's case, the glove didn't fit--and they had to acquit. So I'm even more confused.

Glove = condom.

I love Bruno Mars, and my kids love the weird vocal sound effects in "Locked Out Of Heaven," but I'll be damned if my eleven year old will be singing, "Yeah, your sex sends me to paradise," at the top of her lungs.

• Love 2

Well, I don't hate the lyrics of Hold on Forever by Rob Thomas, but the lyrics and music are trite as trite can be and if it were song by anyone other than Rob Thomas I would consider it the worst of carbonated pop fluff.  Except it is song by Rob Thomas and I love his voice.  Damn you Rob!

• Love 1

I love the song "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, but the lyric "It's our God-foresaken right to be loved." annoys the crap out of me. I always wonder if anyone questioned it before they decided to record it

That one makes me crazy.  Saying "God-given right" would have fit fine.  Grrr.  

• Love 1

For those hating themselves for liking The Beatles' "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" (I do, too!), that has nothing on their lyrics for the song "Run For Your Life", snippet of lyrics below:

Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Well I know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

And I do guiltily listen to that, too.

Another more modern song with TERRIBLE lyrics but upbeat music that's sadly catchy is the lovely "I Used To Love Her (But I Had To Kill Her)" by Guns 'N Roses.

• Love 1

I was fairly young the first time I heard "Run for Your Life," but even my young self was all WTF about those lyrics. This song is one of many reasons that I can't stand Lennon, even though I can appreciate his musical talent.

Edited by BookWoman56

The 90's R&B song "He's Mine" by Mokenstef.

I was like 10 when the song was released, but I always thought it was about a woman who broke up with a guy, then wanted him back, since the hook said, "He's mine, you may have had him once, but I got him all the time." When I got older and actually listened to the rest of the words, I realized it's about a girlfriend POV on a one night stand/ongoing affair her boyfriend had with another woman, hence the lyrics: "He may be doing you, but he's thinking about me." The lyrics make you want to scream "leave his ass", but they sound so damn good singing that song.

• Love 2

Oh yes, 'Run for Your Life' is simply awful. If it helps AT ALL, Lennon was embarrassed by it's existence until the day he died. And, allegedly, it was one of those 'We need another song for the album, write one in like ten minutes... GO!' situations where he had to pull a song out of his ass right quick. By the same token, Lennon was admittedly a jealous douche bag and that figures into more than one song. "You Can't Do That" is pretty fucking cringe worthy, too. Although not on the level of 'don't talk to other guys or I'll kill you' it's still a song that should inspire a response song of 'Are you kidding me with this shit, you sorry ass little man-child? Do you know how much your precious pride means to me? It doesn't. We're done. Buh bye. Have a boot in your ass for good measure.'

• Love 1

Come and Get it Bae.  It makes me want to dance.  The lyrics are a bit cringe-worthy and the video opening with "Beauty has no expiration date" but not featuring any women over the age of 30 is laughable, but I still love it. 

"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People.

It's not currently on my play list, hits a little close these days.  But I have to admit the first year or two it was out, I really liked the song.  Lyrics - not so much.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, amaranta said:

"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People.

It's not currently on my play list, hits a little close these days.  But I have to admit the first year or two it was out, I really liked the song.  Lyrics - not so much.

Hah, I mentioned this song a while ago in this thread and I'll admit that I do like to sing the chorus--when I'm alone.

• Love 1

The songs that first popped into my mind have already been mentioned - Rolling Stones, Under My Thumb and Foster the People, Pumped Up Kicks.

I like DMX in general but holy hell, have you listened to Bring Your Whole Crew?

Spoiler

I got blood on my hands and there's no remorse / I got blood on my dick cuz I fucked the corpse

Alrighty then!

I guess Girls, Girls, Girls by Mötley Crüe belongs in this thread because I love the song but I'm not too keen on what they're singing about.  But then I consider the source (Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee).

• Love 3

I love Messrs. Kaukonen's and  Kantner's dynamic guitarwork and Miss Slick's downright passionate and acrobatic vocalization coupled with the intense Latin rhythms of 'White Rabbit' but I have to admit the lyrics using themes of the Lewis Carroll stories as a means to encourage and self-justify drug usage are rather offputting, IMO. BTW, Miss Slick herself has gone on record regretting having used those particular lyrics. 

• Love 1
On 9/20/2015 at 8:29 PM, Crs97 said:

This classic song has the worst lyrics, but the tune is beautiful. Unfortunately, even as I enjoy the instrumental the words are running through my head:

my funny valentine,

Sweet comic valentine,

You make me smile with my heart.

Your looks are laughable, un-photographable,

Yet, you're my favorite work of art.

Is your figure less than Greek?

Is your mouth a little weak?

When you open it to speak, are you smart?

But, don't change a hair for me.

Not if you care for me.

Stay little valentine, stay!

Each day is Valentine's Day.

I'd highlight the offending lines, but they are all awful!! My husband plays the trumpet, and he knows never to serenade me with this one. Not in public. Not if he wants to live. But, man, the tune is gorgeous!

I never thought about it, but you're so right! This song is practically negging!

You're funny looking.

You're out of shape.

Your mouth is no bueno.

You're not very bright either.

But don't change!!!

I nominate most of my favorite rap music. There are definitely rap songs with thoughtful lyrics. It's just that the songs with the tickets beats have the nasty lyrics . . .

• Love 2

Another from Motley Crue, who seemed to have made a career of catchy riffs with offensive lyrics. My Alexa was playing '80s rock, and this came on. Called "You're All I Need". Based on that title, you'd think, love song, a la "Without You" (their big hit in '89), but NO.

Listen to the lyrics and it's about a guy that kills the woman he supposedly "loves" because she was cheating.

The music, however, is catchy. I really do loathe myself for listening to it, but the music.

• Useful 2