Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Haul Out the Holly was a mixed bag for me.  I didn't like the first part at all, and was annoyed by everyone's behavior in that suburb.  So I forwarded to the second half, and I ended up liking that much better.   I probably won't watch it again.

I am done with Christmas movies for the year, I think.  I was glad to find A Christmas to Remember on HMM about a month ago, and waited to watch it as the best for last.  It is one of my favorites, so I try to watch it each year.  Mira Sorvino gets into a car accident during a snowstorm in a small winter town, and is taken in by widower Cameron Mathison and his three kids.  When she wakes up, she has amnesia and doesn't remember anything about who she is.  Mira and Cameron are charming together, and it feels cozy.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Tigerjock said:

About a third of the 2022 Hallmark Christmas Movies have faulty captions ... I'll be following along with the dialogue and then suddenly it disappears. Kind of like reading a book where every tenth printed line is invisible. I emailed Hallmark about this a month ago, but no response so far. anyone else notice?

I don't know if it's a third but I did experience it with one or two of their movies.  But it's not exclusive to Hallmark and sometimes it gets fixed if I watch on a different service or a rerun.  I'm lucky that I only have them on to catch things I miss or things that are mumbled but I feel for those that need them, especially since sometimes captions work and then just stop working well mid-movie.  It's one thing to know that captions just aren't an option.  It's quite another to think they'll work and then they don't.

• Like 1

Caught the first few minutes of A Verry Merry Bridesmaid (from 2021) before I decided to watch something else instead. Did the brother and sister-in-law dislike the protagonist for some reason? Was there some estrangement or family feud they never spoke of? Was there a reason the brother/future sister-in-law specifically choose to have their wedding on Leah's birthday? Leah's birthday was already overshadowed by Christmas Eve.

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Was there a reason the brother/future sister-in-law specifically choose to have their wedding on Leah's birthday? Leah's birthday was already overshadowed by Christmas Eve.

I saw this one last year and it was...ok.  As I remember it the bride makes a big deal about it being Leah's birthday in a speech she gives at the wedding but I can't remember at all why she chose to do that!  I mean it was a nice thing to do in one way, I guess, but I can't remember now if there was any reason in this world why the wedding had to be on that date.  I do remember the big thing throughout this movie was the angst over the missing wedding dress.  I thought they were going to have the bride be some overbearing bridezilla but they didn't do that. 

Edited to add:  I just remembered they also made it that the luggage was lost by the airline and took IIRC two weeks to be found.  I remember thinking last year how unlikely that was.  Now this year this is way more believable!!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • LOL 1

Well, after our comments earlier, it appears tomorrow is Lacey Chabert day on W Network tomorrow.  Nothing but Lacey, all day.  Moonlight In Vermont is not one of them, but Christmas In Rome is.  I know I will end up watching one or two, probably more based on what time they come on than whether or not I think it looks good (which very few of them do, to be honest.)  Does anyone have an opinion on The Tree That Saved Christmas (seriously?) The Sweetest Christmas, or Family Christmas?  I already know I like Haul Out The Holly and Time For Us To Come Home for Christmas, but not Christmas Waltz or Christmas At Castle Hart.

I am currently watching Nine Kittens of Christmas and I'm not sure I can overstate how annoying the sister is.  I've never seen anyone deliver every single line while smiling as wide as possible.  Plus, I'm pretty sure she and her husband had adopted two or three dogs in the first movie, but now they're not sure they can have one cat because they have a kid?

Edited by bankerchick
  • LOL 2
On 12/4/2022 at 12:51 PM, Irlandesa said:

I started falling asleep during A Holiday Stocking but I just think I was tired yesterday.  I wish the angel brother featured more prominently in it but it was nice to get a movie about sisters coming back together.  And there was no miraculous recovery for the death brother.  I wish they had Mikelti Williamson play the brother the whole time (a la Quantum Leap) even if the sisters saw the younger version of "RJ."  He's a good actor. 

I liked this one and I wasn’t sure I would. I agree that they should have kept the actor in the role the whole time. I liked him. 

12 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I am currently watching Nine Kittens of Christmas and I'm not sure I can overstate how annoying the sister is.  I've never seen anyone deliver every single line while smiling as wide as possible.  Plus, I'm pretty sure she and her husband had adopted two or three dogs in the first movie, but now they're not sure they can have one cat because they have a kid?

I've seen Nine Lives probably at least nine times and the sister and her husband definitely have 3 dogs and IIRC the reason they can't take Queenie (the heroine's cat) is because they have just adopted a 4th dog.  Anyway so did they get rid of all the dogs?  Are they even mentioned?  Yet another reason I am not going to be watching Nine Kittens.  I liked the first movie a lot and I don't want it messed with!

BTW is it the same actress playing the sister?  I don't want to seem shallow but the gal from Nine Lives sure showed a lot of gum when she smiled and to be honest she was the weakest link in the movie.  Her acting was not up to the standard the others showed or maybe it was just that her character was pretty annoying.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Anyway so did they get rid of all the dogs?  Are they even mentioned? 

Neither mentioned nor seen, and a lot of the movie takes place at their house.

I did enjoy the movie but the first one was definitely better.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, Bronx Babe said:

Was it ever established why Lacey's dance instructor in Christmas Waltz spoke with an English accent?   He was supposed to be Russian (or Russian-American or something) and his family lived in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.  

I am still confused.

Just revisiting this because I turned on the movie for 5 minutes and found that he went to school in London and trained in Blackpool.  Which doesn't really explain the complete absence of any accent unless he was not yet speaking when he moved there. But it's all we're going to get.

• Like 1

And also, heaven help him, he had to attempt an American accent in Jolly Good Christmas.   As we remarked then, it was tough to listen to.  I think it was charitable of the director or whoever to find an excuse for him to have the English accent in the Waltz thing.

• Like 5

Some normal (as in non-actors) people are just really good at picking up close to native pronunciation when they learn a language, especially if they're exposed to it when they're younger from someone with a native accent so I didn't think that was strange.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
On 12/20/2022 at 4:39 PM, Bronx Babe said:

CCB lands in Christmas Town and manages to adopt a child in two weeks?

She gets approved to adopt a child, whilst her current residence is the ATTIC of an antique store, in a town she has just randomly dropped into, no less!  

On 12/28/2022 at 3:41 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I finally caught up with Royal Corgi Christmas, and it was a disappointment.  I found no chemistry between the leads, and I fast forwarded through a lot.  But I liked the dogs!  I haven't seen much discussion of it here, so maybe it hasn't been a favorite.

Yep.  That was my feeling.  Cute dogs.  Bland, wooden leads.

3 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

She gets approved to a?dopt a child, whilst her current residence is the ATTIC of an antique store, in a town she has just randomly dropped into, no less!  .

I haven't seen it recently, but, isn't that also the movie where CCB ends up in magical Christmas town while in transit from one town, where she quit her job, to a new town, where she has just been hired for another job?  A job she cannot take because she impulsively decided to stay in magical Christmas town without having gainful employment?  Because people who randomly decided on a hunch to move to a new town while having no way to support themselves let alone a child are great prospects for single parenthood.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

I haven't seen it recently, but, isn't that also the movie where CCB ends up in magical Christmas town while in transit from one town, where she quit her job, to a new town, where she has just been hired for another job?  A job she cannot take because she impulsively decided to stay in magical Christmas town without having gainful employment?  Because people who randomly decided on a hunch to move to a new town while having no way to support themselves let alone a child are great prospects for single parenthood.

That's the movie, alright!  I know HM isn't big on logic or reality but that was insane, even for them!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

A job she cannot take because she impulsively decided to stay in magical Christmas town without having gainful employment?

The friend of the woman who owned the cafe where CCB worked over her holiday was a teacher at the school, and once CCB came along, she decided to retire and give the job to CCB.

46 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

The friend of the woman who owned the cafe where CCB worked over her holiday was a teacher at the school, and once CCB came along, she decided to retire and give the job to CCB.

OK,  it's been a while since I saw it.  I still think most social service offices dealing with adoptions would find her work history to be a bit suspect.  I couldn't remember if she got the job before or after she applied to adopt the kid.

7 hours ago, Notabug said:

The character was gainfully employed in the Christmas town as a teacher, beginning the new year.

Rewatched A New Year’s Resolution tonight on Peacock and it was still as cute as I remember it. Good chemistry with the leads and I liked the premise of the movie, especially the honesty! 

Edited by twoods
15 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I know HM isn't big on logic or reality but that was insane, even for them!

Plus, you know, what about the "traditional family" being the only approved option?  A single mom with no husband to rule the family?  The child is bound to end up warped.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 12/27/2022 at 9:05 AM, luvthepros said:

Lacey Chabert has one scene in Moonlight in Vermont, with Carlo Marks as her lead,that I absolutely love her in. She seems so real which is exactly what you find fault with her for. The scene is she is tasting a delicious bun that chef (Marks) had made and she is trying to convey to him that it is "not all that". As he looks away from her, she is scarfing down the delicious bun and muttering under her breath "oh soooooo good". She is adorable in that scene.

I like Lacey, but I admit it’s probably a nostalgia thing because I was a kid when she was a kid on Party of Five

Moonlight in Vermont is one of her BEST Hallmark films, that’s always a must see. The other ones I like of hers are the All of my Heart series, Love, Romance & Chocolate, Elevator Girl, A Christmas Melody and The Sweetest Christmas

• Like 1
On 12/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, bankerchick said:

Just revisiting this because I turned on the movie for 5 minutes and found that he went to school in London and trained in Blackpool.  Which doesn't really explain the complete absence of any accent unless he was not yet speaking when he moved there. But it's all we're going to get.

Despite my curiosity about that accent I had no intention of visiting this movie again when a few days ago while channel surfing I landed on that very scene!  I think in order to distract the audience from the embarrassing absence of logic they had Lacey speaking over him while he very quickly uttered those lines almost under his breath about the U.K. connection so viewers would not be able to hear the character with any real clarity.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, Miss Bones said:

She gets approved to adopt a child, whilst her current residence is the ATTIC of an antique store, in a town she has just randomly dropped into, no less!  

Her cat didn't have a litter box in that attic.  I wonder how she improvised.

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:

I think in order to distract the audience from the embarrassing absence of logic they had Lacey speaking over him while he very quickly uttered those lines almost under his breath about the U.K. connection so viewers would not be able to hear the character with any real clarity.

You could be right.  I did have to replay that scene a few times to understand when he said 'London.'

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Yes! This was the first thing I noticed about this movie. And the only really interesting thing about it. Of all the stupid movies on Hallmark, this particular movie has to be in the top five. For all the reasons everyone has mentioned.

• Like 5

Okay, friends, as we say a reluctant goodbye to the three months steady diet of Christmas movies, can I just note the end of Crown for Christmas which has possibly my favorite line in all the movies -- "The fact is, you had me at the sewing kit."  

That's a rom com for you.  And it didn't hurt having Rupert Penry Jones saying it.  

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Had Hanukkah on Rye on the DVR and had a chance to watch it yesterday.  I thought it was quite pleasant overall.  Of course, the usual "fell in love in a matter or hours" trope was in force but at least there was a twist on it with the letter writing.  Like both leads and hope to see more of them.

Otherwise a pretty bland crop of movies overall.  Hallmark never fails to disappoint with their quantity over quality business plan.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Like 3

I watched the Cory Sevier dog trainer movie last night.  Don't remember the name and not going to look it up.  I thought I liked him, turns out I don't really.  Also, hated the sister.  Plus, if your dad left you decades ago and you still can't function when his birthday comes up, or you think it's ok to yell at men who show interest because your dad left you decades ago, do us all a favour and get some therapy.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Otherwise a pretty bland crop of movies overall.  Hallmark never fails to disappoint with their quantity over quality business plan.

I actually thought their crop this year was quite enjoyable, different and there were very few movies I had to completely peace out from.

42 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Don't remember the name and not going to look it up. 

The Dog Lover's Guide To Dating.  I have it on my DVR. I was going to watch it today but a new season of a mystery show I enjoy just came out so I'll be focused on that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I actually thought their crop this year was quite enjoyable, different and there were very few movies I had to completely peace out from.

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I agree,  this year at least for me, was way better than last year.  Offhand there are at least 5-6 movies that I really enjoyed and will watch again.  There were a few I didn't bother finishing but overall most were a pleasant enough to keep on in the background while I was busy crushing candies and the like.

Gotta add in regard to 2022 Christmas crop, I did not miss Candance Cameron one bit and I say this as someone who has liked most of the movies she was in at Hallmark.  

• Like 7
On 12/31/2022 at 8:20 AM, Cetacean said:

Plus, you know, what about the "traditional family" being the only approved option?  A single mom with no husband to rule the family?  The child is bound to end up warped.

Oohh yes, good point!  Surprised that wasn't too taboo for CCB.  I guess we are to assume that she and the love interest immediately married after the end-of- movie kiss.

On 1/1/2023 at 12:25 AM, Bronx Babe said:

I noticed this, too!!

20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The Dog Lover's Guide To Dating.  I have it on my DVR. I was going to watch it today but a new season of a mystery show I enjoy just came out so I'll be focused on that.

Which show is that?  I like a good mystery.

The Dog Lover's Guide To Dating:   Axe throwing??? Where was the story supposed to take place, in that Minnesota town with those statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox???

Groundswell:  Surfing as a metaphor for Life, that was o.k.  And I always find Lacey Chabert appealing, but did not believe that her character Emma's attraction to Ben was anything other than LUST; I mean, she was looking at him barechested at the beach with hungry eyes, lol.  I didn't even get any primal "she's a hot chick" vibes from Ben, much less of romantic love. 

4 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Me, too. Tell us, please!

On 1/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, bankerchick said:

I watched the Cory Sevier dog trainer movie last night.  Don't remember the name and not going to look it up.  I thought I liked him, turns out I don't really.  Also, hated the sister.  Plus, if your dad left you decades ago and you still can't function when his birthday comes up, or you think it's ok to yell at men who show interest because your dad left you decades ago, do us all a favour and get some therapy.

It’s nothing new, but welcome to the era of narcissistic self indulgence. Because of my truth (name the “trauma”), I can’t relate to others, speak coherently, learn any new skill (other than the useless one I mastered), and won’t entertain an opinion other than my own (found it on the internet, always true and correct).
As an older person who’ll have to rely on the professional expertise of this generation when my physical capabilities diminish, I don’t mind saying, I’m terrified! Just shoot me if I’ve fallen and can’t get up!!!

• LOL 4
On 1/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, Chippings said:

Okay, friends, as we say a reluctant goodbye to the three months steady diet of Christmas movies, can I just note the end of Crown for Christmas which has possibly my favorite line in all the movies -- "The fact is, you had me at the sewing kit."  

That's a rom com for you.  And it didn't hurt having Rupert Penry Jones saying it.  

I absolutely love Crown for Christmas, it's one of my all-time favorites (almost tied with Tis the Season to be Merry).  Even Danica McKellar doesn't annoy me like normal due to the fabulous Rupert Penry Jones.  Too bad I haven't seen him anywhere else, I need lookup his IMDB.

I'm really going to miss all the Christmas movies, they were something enjoyable to watch during my insomnia.  I took all my Christmas decor down so it's so dark without the pretty lights, but to make matters worse, no more Christmas movies on 24/7 to watch to distract me. Man.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

There's a French Canadian show on PBS Masterpiece called The Wall (La Faille) that has three seasons.  The third and final season came out yesterday.  I enjoy the atmosphere of it.  So if you have that service and either speak French Canadian (I'd say French but I speak French and their accents completely throw me) or don't mind subtitles, there you go.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

The Dog Lover's Guide To Dating:   Axe throwing??? Where was the story supposed to take place, in that Minnesota town with those statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox???

Axe throwing is actually pretty popular across the US and Canada. There are chains that offer just the throwing experience. But if you want to do it in Brainerd (home of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox), there's a bar there that offers it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but I appreciated that it didn't make the designer girlfriend evil. She was not a good fit for the guy, but I like that she dumped him because she deserved more. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Believe it or not, axe throwing has become a popular recreational activity all over the country recently and there are a lot of new venues for people who want to do it.  I just googled and found 3 places within 30 minutes of the large midwestern city where I live.  I know several people who have done it as part of a team building exercise with co-workers.  It's a real thing.

• Mind Blown 1
21 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I have been axe-throwing.  Not sure how someone came up with this as a fun thing to do, it was dumb.

15 hours ago, KLJ said:

(almost tied with Tis the Season to be Merry). 

I watch this movie a lot.  Not because it's good (it's ok) but Travis Van Winkle is in it and he makes lots of stuff watchable (but not Christmas Getaway.)  I love the scene where they're making 'smores and Adam asks Merry what she wants 'right now' and their faces are inches apart and she picks the 'smores.  WTF??Very disappointed that he didn't have a movie this year.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, voiceover said:

His Captain Wentworth in Persuasion was very definitely *faints dead away

Re: Rupert Penry Jones...and he was also in a British tv series called Spooks (in the UK) but renamed MI:5  in North America.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, Notabug said:

Believe it or not, axe throwing has become a popular recreational activity all over the country recently and there are a lot of new venues for people who want to do it.  I just googled and found 3 places within 30 minutes of the large midwestern city where I live.  I know several people who have done it as part of a team building exercise with co-workers.  It's a real thing.

Wow.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, bankerchick said:

I have been axe-throwing.  Not sure how someone came up with this as a fun thing to do, it was dumb.

Personally I prefer darts, lol.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:07 AM, KAOS Agent said:

Axe throwing is actually pretty popular across the US and Canada. There are chains that offer just the throwing experience. But if you want to do it in Brainerd (home of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox), there's a bar there that offers it.

This is all new to me!

On 1/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, Notabug said:

I had to come back here and say that I was just invited to a work party at a place called Hub Stadium, and the group activity is...axe throwing! I'm not going to be able to attend because I'm having outpatient surgery that day, but I can't wait to see the photos.

Back on topic, I haven't seen the axe throwing movie, but the guy in it seems to be a new Hallmark darling (not necessarily the viewers, but the channel sure seems to like him).

On 1/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I agree,  this year at least for me, was way better than last year.  Offhand there are at least 5-6 movies that I really enjoyed and will watch again.  There were a few I didn't bother finishing but overall most were a pleasant enough to keep on in the background while I was busy crushing candies and the like.

Gotta add in regard to 2022 Christmas crop, I did not miss Candance Cameron one bit and I say this as someone who has liked most of the movies she was in at Hallmark.  

I miss CCB. Wish she did not leave Hallmark.

• Like 1