Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am baking some pies for tomorrow, and was setting the DVR to catch one of the vet Christmas movies I have missed, and thought I should come on and remind folks starting at 3 tomorrow they are playing all the military themed Christmas movies.

I got sucked into playing the movies on now after I set the recording, and noticed all the Sandals Resorts ads. Are they new during the movies? 

Finally watched Love, Take Two. Wanted to enjoy it but it had too many tropes I hate. Like them falling in love while he's engaged to someone else. And his mother disliking his fiancee. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

I'm sad that I will never hear the phrase "Okay, out of which orifice do you suggest I start pulling dancing elves?" in a Hallmark movie ever again.

Which movie was that, MissyPoo?

• Love 4
On 6/28/2019 at 8:35 AM, ShelleySue said:

With all of the analysis of Murder 101 I still have two questions.  The first is why was the police officer lured into the drug store?  Why wasn't that just staged like the other robberies?  Didn't that just give the drug store more attention than if it was just like the other stores that were robbed?  And second, what the heck was the mechanical monkey toy's place in the plot?  Was it just to distract her so that she could be hit in head?  It didn't come from the store so it had to have been brought there just for that purpose.  Right?  And if so, that leads back to my first question . . . 

I was confused why she didn't have a gun and asked if Canadian cops carry off duty. Also that she didn't call for help on the cell she was listening to music on.

I sort of assumed the monkey was brought there as a clue or signature of some kind-- but I would accept any better thoughts.

We came in about 20 minutes ago when a strong storm hit. Sun is coming back out as I type now.

Stop the Wedding was on with about 15 minutes to go (the leads go to Vegas to stop their parents getting married and fell in love during the chase to do so). We were getting everyone fresh drinks when the first kiss came up for the leads. I wasn't paying great attention and thought the hotel door closing scene was for both of them going in. 

Grabbed the remote and backed it up, making everyone question what I was doing. Turns out after the kiss they each go into their side by side hotel rooms, and the camera focused on one door closing.

Oopps

10 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

"Okay, out of which orifice do you suggest I start pulling dancing elves?"

Trading Christmas.  I'm sure many Hallmark viewers were appalled.  Doesn't fit the sickening sweet dialog genre.

• Love 6
On 7/4/2019 at 7:38 AM, AnnaRose said:

Which movie was that, MissyPoo?

On 7/4/2019 at 12:57 PM, Kohola3 said:

Trading Christmas.  I'm sure many Hallmark viewers were appalled.  Doesn't fit the sickening sweet dialog genre.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:11 PM, Jenniferbug said:

Trading Christmas is my favorite. I adore it so much!

Yup! You guys got it! 

It's one of my faves also. It has so many good quotable lines! Lol 

And a sweet storyline. :-)

• Love 3
17 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Yup! You guys got it! 

It's one of my faves also. It has so many good quotable lines! Lol 

And a sweet storyline. 🙂

Yes, that is one of the best!

• Love 1

The Jen Lilley puppy movie last night. I could not even get through it. The usual plot line--she wants land for a dog park, a developer wants it for a shopping center. I thought Jen was totally mismatched with the male lead. Zero chemistry.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Jen Lilley puppy movie last night. I could not even get through it. The usual plot line--she wants land for a dog park, a developer wants it for a shopping center. I thought Jen was totally mismatched with the male lead. Zero chemistry.

Yes, zero chemistry, and she is a terrible actress.

Talk about puppy overload (and not in a good way)!  It felt like every other word in the script was "puppy" or "puppies". 

• Love 4

I thought that Love Unleashed (a.k.a. Puppy Party Romance) was inoffensive.  It had a few cute moments here and there.     The puppies were obviously adorable.    I didn't find it to be terrible, BUT I can't see myself actively trying to watch it again.   It was just kind of.... there.   It's probably not one that I will try to re-watch, unless it's unintentional and is a convenient option at the moment.   There just wasn't anything that really made it stand out.

I  didn't necessarily think that the chemistry was completely lacking between Christopher Russell and Jen Lilley -- I thought that his chemistry with Jessica Lowndes in Merry Matrimony a few years ago was much worse -- but it also wasn't fantastic.  Again, it was just kind of there.   The conflict was minimal.    There was never much doubt that the two leads were interested in each other, or that his daughter wanted them together, or that the puppies would have a place to romp, play and be happy.   

One thing I did giggle about is that Christopher seems very tall, and Jen seems very short.  She was even shorter because she wasn't wearing heels.   They make an odd couple, height-wise.   But I am surprised that Christopher has been largely missing from Hallmark movies for a while -- especially in lead roles -- so I wonder if he will start appearing more often now.

(edited)
19 hours ago, Pickles said:

It was boring as hell. The best part of it was that pink and white dress with the one shoulder and spaghetti strap.  I did like when he brought up how the shopping center would better the community. Of course a dog park is of higher value in a Hallmark film.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 1

I guess it depends on the shopping center.  There are many that are dying.  And a good dog park does make a town a more attractive area for purchase. 

The best part of the movie was watching the puppies play but I couldn't make it through the movie either.  I didn't know if it was because it was boring or I just wasn't in the mood (I watched another "classic" movie last night too and just couldn't get into it either.)  But coming here made me realize I can blame the movie.

It was also distracting that Jen Lilley still looked pregnant in it.  If she was pregnant, I kind of wish they would have just written that in. Make a twist of a woman--widowed or abandoned by a jerk of a hubby--instead of giving her really flowy clothes to wear.

14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess it depends on the shopping center.  There are many that are dying.  And a good dog park does make a town a more attractive area for purchase. 

It had a daycare for lower income families in that shopping center. That benefits the community more  than a large dog park. 

• Love 1
Just now, In2You said:

It had a daycare for lower income families in that shopping center. That benefits the community more  than a large dog park. 

Ah.  I did not pay attention to the details.

I only lasted for about 30 minutes during Love Unleashed. It was so dull. Puppies could not even save it for me. I actually tend to like Jen Lilley in her various Hallmark movies (And Lifetime's Spirit of Christmas), but this movie was so boring. I thought the male lead was pretty bad and that there was not any chemistry between the two leads.

3 hours ago, In2You said:

Of course a dog park is of higher value in a Hallmark film.

Hee! It reminded me of the Hallmark movie about saving a tree where I spent most of the movie actively rooting for it to get chopped down because the lead was so obnoxious.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I only lasted for about 30 minutes during Love Unleashed. It was so dull. Puppies could not even save it for me. I actually tend to like Jen Lilley in her various Hallmark movies (And Lifetime's Spirit of Christmas), but this movie was so boring. I thought the male lead was pretty bad and that there was not any chemistry between the two leads.

Hee! It reminded me of the Hallmark movie about saving a tree where I spent most of the movie actively rooting for it to get chopped down because the lead was so obnoxious.

I half paid attention to this movie but I cheered when she was talking about how the current dog park was too small and how they deserve the spot for the shopping center and he brought up the ways the shopping center would be beneficial to the community. Put her right in her place. 

• Love 3

I'm an attorney, not an accountant, but I'm sure that the same sort of thing applies to accountants.  Jen Lilley (already forgot her character's name) said that she actually wanted that large area of land (the one with the barn) for the dog park, but that it was owned by one of her father's clients and they were waiting to sell it for big bucks.  She's the one that reminded city planner (also forgot his character's name) about the whole wetlands thing.  In the end she got to buy the more desirable land (through the fasted awarded grant I've ever seen) because of the wetlands.  That was land that was owned by her father's clients, and she's an accountant who works with her father.  I do realize that when they went to sell the land the owners would have found out about the decreased value, but it seems to be a tad bit unethical for Jen Lilley (i.e. the dog park) to benefit.

One nice thing about the movie was that there was no real "bad guy."  By that I don't mean the neighbor that we all knew would end up with a dog. I mean that the tall, gorgeous blond was actually a nice person who was just friends with City Planner, not a scheming woman out to catch him.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The best part of the movie was watching the puppies play but I couldn't make it through the movie either.  I didn't know if it was because it was boring or I just wasn't in the mood (I watched another "classic" movie last night too and just couldn't get into it either.)  But coming here made me realize I can blame the movie.

It was also distracting that Jen Lilley still looked pregnant in it.  If she was pregnant, I kind of wish they would have just written that in. Make a twist of a woman--widowed or abandoned by a jerk of a hubby--instead of giving her really flowy clothes to wear.

Yep.  She was pregnant during the filming of this one, as well as during the filming of her Winterfest movie, Winter Love Story.    

And we have another round of "spot the baby belly" coming up with Italia Ricci in Rome in Love.   In a couple of clips and pictures I've seen, the belly was not obvious,  In others I've seen, it looked as though the belly was definitely being hidden by loose clothing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Warning: rant ahead! Love Unleashed was so incredibly annoying, and I watched to the end. I'm a Golden Retriever mom and I couldn't get past the absurdity of a pregnant Golden wandering the streets...then giving birth to a litter of purebreds (which at least most of those puppies appeared to be)...then the prospect that Golden Retriever puppies would be difficult to adopt out? Puh-leeze. I love Goldens but I really wish they'd had a litter of mixed breed puppies as the stars of the show, because it would have been so much more believable. A shelter in our area recently came by a litter of purebred Goldens and they had to set up a really specific process for adoption applications because they were expecting to be inundated (I know this because I seriously considered applying for one). Those puppies were too old not to have been adopted out yet. And the fact that they were shown to have the run of the house -- at Hailey's house and Ryan's -- really does a disservice to the viewers. Hallmark is supposedly so into dog rescue, and they really blew the opportunity to show what it's like to have a puppy in one's home. I also didn't fully comprehend the concept of a "puppy party" to interest people in rescue, nor did I believe that the shelter had an additional 5 puppies hanging around. Puppies always get adopted.

As for the leads, I agree that they had NO chemistry. I like Jen Lilley but she was just too wide-eyed in this one for me. Her wardrobe was ridiculous for dealing with puppies. And the fact that any man would declare his love in front of his young daughter and the woman's father -- along with visual aids, no less -- was too much corn and cheese even for Hallmark.

Speaking of the daughter, it seemed she was portrayed way younger than 8. I don't have kids, so I might be way off on this, but the kids in Hallmark movies always seem much more immature than their ages would call for. I have a 10-year-old niece, and no way she would  have been clutching wide-eyed at a stuffed animal two years ago. Kids today are so much more sophisticated than I was at that age, but Hallmark seems to insist on portraying them as total innocents. I guess that's on-brand, though.

ETA: the dog that the crabby neighbor was interested in was so beautiful!

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 4

Hallmark Publishing is releasing 2 new Christmas novels in September.

Thus far Hallmark's books are as white as the channel but one of them features a latina lead. 

An Unforgettable Christmas

He doesn't remember his past, but could she have a future with him?

Angie Lopez, a widowed mom, works hard at Singleton’s Jewelers. Sam Singleton, her often-irritating boss, hardly does anything besides work. He doesn’t spend time with friends and family, even around the holidays. That’s why Angie’s the one who winds up taking care of him when a head injury leaves him with amnesia.

As Sam attempts to remember who he is, he learns about the luxurious but empty life he leads…and he’s not impressed. Meanwhile, Angie sees a new side of him as he shares Christmas traditions with her, her son Pepe, and her extended family. Angie shares touching, emotional moments with Sam. But if he gets his memories back, what will happen to her heart?

This heartwarming holiday romance includes a free Hallmark original recipe for Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice.)

And it wouldn't be Christmas without a royal fantasy

A Royal Christmas Wish

Nobody does royal romance or Christmas like Hallmark! Enjoy the enchanting original novel from Lizzie Shane.

Jenny knows she isn’t the princess type. Sure, she’s friendly and caring, but with her clumsiness and lack of self-confidence, glass slippers would only make her trip. When Dom, the cute guy she runs into in the park, turns out to be the prince of San Noelle, she figures he must not be her happy ever after.

But a mysterious countess grants Jenny’s one wish, and she finds herself married to this handsome prince! Unfortunately, at the stroke of midnight on Christmas Eve, her life will go back to normal.

In funny and touching ways, Jenny navigates royal traditions the best she can. But even as she grows closer to Dom, the clock is ticking. With love and a little holiday magic, could she somehow make the enchantment last forever?

This sweet holiday romance includes a free Hallmark original recipe for Chicken Shawarma.

• Love 1
On 7/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, In2You said:

When Dom, the cute guy she runs into in the park, turns out to be the prince of San Noelle, she figures he must not be her happy ever after.

Oh, for the love of all that is holy STOP WITH THE PRINCESS CRAP!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

When Dom, the cute guy she runs into in the park, turns out to be the prince of San Noelle, she figures he must not be her happy ever after.

29 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

At least he probably won't have a British accent.  It must be a Hallmark attempt at diversity.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

At least he probably won't have a British accent.

Wanta bet?  All of royals from fake kingdoms have British accents.  The level of talent that Hallmark hires doesn't include actors capable of doing anything else. Lame, lame, lame. 

Get some new writers and stop recycling the same insipid stories.  I long for the days of great Hall of Fame presentations.  Everything now is total schlock.  You can't even begin to compare things like Sarah, Plain and Tall, Foxfire, A Place for Annie, or Fallen Angel to this drivel.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Get some new writers and stop recycling the same insipid stories.  I long for the days of great Hall of Fame presentations.  Everything now is total schlock.  You can't even begin to compare things like Sarah, Plain and Tall, Foxfire, A Place for Annie, or Fallen Angel to this drivel.

So I'm the mysteries-only viewer here, and it's pretty clear what you guys don't like in Hallmark movies, but I would love to hear what you do like.  Leads, settings, plot...what would you like to see?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Leads, settings, plot...what would you like to see?

Well, for starters, an original plot and one that doesn't make me need an injection of insulin at the end.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, for starters, an original plot and one that doesn't make me need an injection of insulin at the end.

I pretty sure you destined to be forever disappointed. 

I enjoy them but I never expect them to be anything but predictable mindless fluff. 

(edited)

(Edited to add:  I didn't realize that this comment would end up on a new page, but I am kind of following up on what LuvMyShows was asking us all near the end of the previous page, as far as what we like about Hallmark.)

I know exactly what I am getting when I watch Hallmark movies (romances, Christmas movies or mysteries).   I know what to expect.  I appreciate the formula and predictability.   I don't need anything deep and meditative from my Hallmark movies.   I don't need incisive studies into the human condition in my Hallmark movies.    I don't need a lot of "reality" in these movies either.   I suspend disbelief and just enjoy them for what they are.

I like rom coms.  I like seeing people faux-fall in love.   I like seeing people celebrate the holiday season with snowball fights, gingerbread-making, snowman-building, tree decorating and caroling in charming towns.    What I am tuning in to see is exactly what I am getting.   The movies are harmless, cheerful, lighthearted fun.   

I watch many things across multiple channels, so I don't only watch Hallmark and I enjoy a variety of content.    If I am not in the mood to watch rom coms or romantic dramas, I just check out for a bit, watch something else and then start watching again at some later date.   If I don't feel like watching a mystery, I don't watch it.   If I am not in a Christmas movie state of mind, I don't watch.   But, in general, I am a fan of the overall Hallmark or Hallmark-esque content and the kind of escape it provides, I suppose.

Now, are some movies within the genre better than others?  Of course.  But that applies to any genre on TV, as well as to any theatrical releases as well (not all epic disaster movies are on the same level, for example).   At the end of the day, who really cares if this baking competition movie is better than that baking competition movie?  It's a nice treat if one of the movies happens to be really good, but if it's not that great or if it's just so-so, then I move on to the next one.    I have found that I end up liking some movies more if I give them another chance anyway, so what doesn't impress me now might be something I love in 2 years!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 12

I am with you, TVFan.  We just moved a television into our living room so our boys now see and hear whatever we are watching.   I like knowing there is one channel that I don’t have to worry about.  

• Love 5

I agree with what @TVFan17 said above. I have anxiety, so I worry all the time about everything. I often enjoy the predictably of Hallmark movies. No harm will ever befall a pet or child, they are guaranteed to end happily, and sometimes I just want to see pleasant people behaving pleasantly. 

But I can get those things while also getting diversity and a well written story, so I do think Hallmark can improve. If I find myself getting burned out, I can easily watch something else, but I like knowing Hallmark is there if I want some mindless pleasant fluff to watch.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Jenniferbug said:

I agree with what @TVFan17 said above. I have anxiety, so I worry all the time about everything. I often enjoy the predictably of Hallmark movies. No harm will ever befall a pet or child, they are guaranteed to end happily, and sometimes I just want to see pleasant people behaving pleasantly. 

But I can get those things while also getting diversity and a well written story, so I do think Hallmark can improve. If I find myself getting burned out, I can easily watch something else, but I like knowing Hallmark is there if I want some mindless pleasant fluff to watch.

This is so true. I went through a period where I went into every movie concerned there was going to a tragic and depressing ending. I believe it started after I watched Gladiator. 

Sometimes I just want light hearted with a guaranteed happy ending. I love knowing that is exactly what I get in Hallmark movies. I’d love to see a resurgence of the big screen rom-com but until that happens Hallmark fits that niche decently enough. 

I've noticed the only Halmark movies I enjoy are either set in the city (rare), on a farm (with real animals) or a vineyard (because wine). I avoid the small town movies at all cost because they're all the same. Every now and then if I like a lead enough I'll watch whatever they're in but I'm really picky. I find the Winterfest and Valentine's movies suit me better. I bail on Wedding season and Christmas.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

But I can get those things while also getting diversity and a well written story, so I do think Hallmark can improve.

No people of color, no Asians, no Hispanics, no Native American.  Lily-white bad actors in boring poorly written predictable stories. 

Yeah, I'd say they can improve.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

No people of color, no Asians, no Hispanics, no Native American.  Lily-white bad actors in boring poorly written predictable stories. 

Yeah, I'd say they can improve.

They have a very long way to go but your first sentence just isn't true. (It may be true for Native Americans)

I am disappointed that minorities are still very poorly represented but they are (very slowly) improving. 

Edited by Guest
Edited to clarify
51 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

You forgot the bad wigs.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I would love to hear what you do like.  Leads, settings, plot...what would you like to see?

I like predictable.  But predicable doesn't have to mean formulaic.  It doesn't have to feel like some Hallmark exec put out a bunch of hats full of topic cards to fill out some kind of Hallmark movie Movie Mad Libs. 

A quirky young woman, played by _____(insert typical Hallmark actress here)___ is a ___(insert some sort of creative career here or some serious career with a longing to be in some kind of creative career)____.  She leaves the big city to go home to visit her family.  Her family's once super successful ___(insert a business here that is so niche that it's hard to believe it was ever successful and make it holiday themed for holiday movies)___ is struggling and the target of the big bad ____(insert company or politician)___ for a takeover.  She has to stop it.  In her fight, she runs into a handsome dude who is opposed to her goals, played by ___(insert typical Hallmark actor here)___.  As they butt heads, they grow closer.  Just as it appears as if she's adjusting to small town and he is seeing value in niche company that really can't be all that valuable, girl's ex-boyfriend comes to town to try to win her back. Current beau witnesses a ___(insert kiss/hug/proposal)___ and gets the wrong idea.  He yells at her and tells her she won't be able to save the company.  He, of course, changes his mind.  Company saved.  Girl decides to stay in small town to work at family's incomprehensibly "successful" company.

The reason I watch Hallmark movies is because they didn't all follow the same formula.  Some of my favorite romantic dramas and comedies were once Hallmark movies.  It has been ages, though. 

They used to base some of their movies on books and not make changes to fit their formula.  They still made changes but tried to maintain the essence of the plot.

But hell, even formula doesn't have to be bad.  One of my favorite Hallmark movies somewhat fits the above formula.  They just did it better by having leads with personality, chemistry and just a more thoughtful script.

I always think that part of hate watching is hope watching.  And sometimes I'm rewarded as I was with Love To the Rescue earlier this year.

6 hours ago, Dani said:

I’d love to see a resurgence of the big screen rom-com but until that happens Hallmark fits that niche decently enough. 

It's not the movie theater but Netflix is starting to see the value in old fashioned romcoms.  I'm not talking about the Christmas versions they do that have a Hallmark vibe but things like See You Maybe, To All The Boys I've Loved Before and Step It Up are romcoms that are less sanitary.  Not dirty but not bleached either.

• Love 11

^^^All of this.^^^

Hopewatching definitely fits for me. I love a good rom com myself. I basically know the outcome and the journey is pretty much straight forward plotwise but I like the emotion between the leads. I do wish Hallmark would switch it up a bit. I liked when they adapted books and kept them in tact without running them through the Hallmark tenderizer.

A big draw for me is the leads. If I like them, I'll want to follow their journey. If they annoy me from the commercials, I'll probably skip it because I know I'll be bored the whole way through. 

Another thing for me is mood. If one of their movies has a gorgeous setting or a cozy mood with a dreamy backdrop, I'll tune in and use it as background noise while I cook or whatever. If I've seen it a few times, even better so I can just tune out and not pay too much attention to it. 

It's the same for Lifetime's old school tv rom coms they showed years ago.

But they can do better. There are a lot of talented writers out there, some they even recruited from romancelandia for their book line. Just let the writers be a little creative and don't zap the original out of them.

14 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I long for the days of great Hall of Fame presentations.  Everything now is total schlock.  You can't even begin to compare things like Sarah, Plain and Tall, Foxfire, A Place for Annie, or Fallen Angel to this drivel.

Ooh and A Season For Miracles. A brother and sister with different fathers, a drug addicted mother in jail, a family on the run from CPS trying to stay together no matter what...yeah, that'd never get made in current Hallmarklandia, but it's one of their classics and one of my faves.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not the movie theater but Netflix is starting to see the value in old fashioned romcoms.  I'm not talking about the Christmas versions they do that have a Hallmark vibe but things like See You Maybe, To All The Boys I've Loved Before and Step It Up are romcoms that are less sanitary.  Not dirty but not bleached either.

I still have to check these out. Moving them up my list! 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Dani said:

I am disappointed that minorities are still very poorly represented but they are (very slowly) improving. 

Seriously?  Look at IMDB for the full cast list of any movie in the past year.  At most there will be 3 minority actors out of 20 or 30 people.  And those are only bit parts or background. There was exactly one movie in the last year with POC as leads.

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I always think that part of hate watching is hope watching

I watch the first few minutes with fingers crossed hoping for a return to quality.  If I know the ending in the first 10 minutes, I quit.  I don't need to see any more pseudo-angels returning to life after falling in love, prince/princess wannabes with evil royal parents, or boyfriend/girlfriends so blatantly horrible that you want to smack them.  Ugh.

27 minutes ago, MissyPoo said:

Ooh and A Season For Miracles. A brother and sister with different fathers, a drug addicted mother in jail, a family on the run from CPS trying to stay together no matter what...yeah, that'd never get made in current Hallmarklandia, but it's one of their classics and one of my faves.

Absolutely my all time favorite Christmas movie!  Hallmark ditched it to run saccharine sweet drivel instead.  I bought it when they stopped running it.  Great acting, great casting, interesting story, suspense, and for those who cannot live without a happy ending, that, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Her family's once super successful ___(insert a business here that is so niche that it's hard to believe it was ever successful

Have you ever watched the reality home shopping shows when the husband rehabs squirrels and the wife is a part-time harmonica repairman, and they are shopping for a $2.3 million home?  Sometimes I wonder if Hallmark is making fun of them with the jobs they choose.

I will always plug my favorite Hallmark Hall of Fame movie - Decoration Day.  A grieving judge helps an old, now estranged, friend who is refusing the congressional Medal of Honor.  Race plays a central role in the story.  There is a young couple dealing with issues in their marriage.  The judge’s romance is nice, but absolutely the least interesting part of the story, and it isn’t the focal point.  James Garner, Ruby Dee, Bill Cobbs, a very young Laurence Fisburne (going by Larry).  Just beautiful.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 5

I enjoy some of the Hallmark Mystery Movies; but ... as stated above ... most times the hair/wigs are terrible.  I think some of the trouble started when the network decided to have 24/7 Christmas movies on for what seems like 3 or 4 months a year.  This sometimes results in stale, poorly written and sometimes poorly acted movies.  And viewer fatigue.  This channel can be a wonderful escape from the day-to-day stress we all experience...maybe we expect too much from it?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I like predictable.  But predicable doesn't have to mean formulaic.  It doesn't have to feel like some Hallmark exec put out a bunch of hats full of topic cards to fill out some kind of Hallmark movie Movie Mad Libs. 

A quirky young woman, played by _____(insert typical Hallmark actress here)___ is a ___(insert some sort of creative career here or some serious career with a longing to be in some kind of creative career)____.  She leaves the big city to go home to visit her family.  Her family's once super successful ___(insert a business here that is so niche that it's hard to believe it was ever successful and make it holiday themed for holiday movies)___ is struggling and the target of the big bad ____(insert company or politician)___ for a takeover.  She has to stop it.  In her fight, she runs into a handsome dude who is opposed to her goals, played by ___(insert typical Hallmark actor here)___.  As they butt heads, they grow closer.  Just as it appears as if she's adjusting to small town and he is seeing value in niche company that really can't be all that valuable, girl's ex-boyfriend comes to town to try to win her back. Current beau witnesses a ___(insert kiss/hug/proposal)___ and gets the wrong idea.  He yells at her and tells her she won't be able to save the company.  He, of course, changes his mind.  Company saved.  Girl decides to stay in small town to work at family's incomprehensibly "successful" company.

Loved this!   But in the formula/Mad Libs, and this is a genuine question, does she choose the handsome dude who is opposed to her goals, or the ex-boyfriend?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

So I'm the mysteries-only viewer here, and it's pretty clear what you guys don't like in Hallmark movies, but I would love to hear what you do like.  Leads, settings, plot...what would you like to see?

I watched Trading Christmas a few nights ago and there were things that I really liked about it.  Even though it's a holiday movie, I think that these things can easily translate to a non-holiday themed movie.  (1) I knew how it was going to end from the start, but the plot didn't seem predictable. (2) The four main characters were not twenty-something.  (3) The males leads weren't the typical handsome Hallmark leads. (4) There was real humor in one of the plots and real human feelings in the other plot. (5) There were no bad guys. (6) Even though the switch was from the city (Boston) to the suburbs (somewhere in the Northwest) it wasn't one of those country girl moves to the big city and realizes the big city is bad and her hometown is good plots.  (7) The Faith Ford character and her daughter's mix-up wasn't slap stick and was revealed very early.    

• Love 7
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Loved this!   But in the formula/Mad Libs, and this is a genuine question, does she choose the handsome dude who is opposed to her goals, or the ex-boyfriend?

Handsome dude opposed to her goals, of course, because the implication is that ex is from the evil city.  But you're good to ask because it is likely that opposed to goals dude might also be a high school sweetheart because a majority of 'the ones' are found in high school.

Speaking of daring movies....Magic of Ordinary Days had an unmarried pregnant woman (gasp) as the heroine in the love story.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Seriously?  Look at IMDB for the full cast list of any movie in the past year.  At most there will be 3 minority actors out of 20 or 30 people.  And those are only bit parts or background. There was exactly one movie in the last year with POC as leads.

I just looked back over my post and realize it might have looked like I was disagreeing that they need to improve. I should have only quoted part of your post. When I said it wasn’t true I only meant the part of about no minorities. I would say there has been very slight improvement but that is nowhere near good enough. 

Edited by Guest

Well, I'm not hate-watching.  I am a fan, and I guess I just don't care that much if one movie is not as great as that one or the other one or the  one from 10 years ago.    I just move on to the next one.    If sitting through one of the weaker Hallmark movies is the worst of my problems, then I'd say I'm very, very lucky.   

I wasn't interested in the movies that Hallmark used to put out under the Hall of Fame banner years ago (the ones that people love and talk about often).  I am barely even interested in the newer Hall of Fame movies now, although the Hall of Fame Christmas movies are closer to the vibe and formula that I like.      If I want more substance and depth and less predictability, or something that is less formulaic, I'll watch other channels or theatrical releases.

The movies generally bring me joy when I watch them, and that's all that matters to me,   I don't care about them being formulaic.    Some of the formulaic movies that other people love are not movies that I love and vice versa, so a lot of it is very subjective anyway.    And, as I have said, if I don't feel like watching something for whatever reason, I just don't watch it.

• Love 4

So to piggy back off the question about what we do like, I'm wondering: what are some of your recent non-Christmas favorites from Hallmark? Let's say within the last 3 years or so. We talk a lot about the old ones we like (Magic of Ordinary Days- yes!!), but less about the new ones. So if you had to pick 3-5 recent favorites that aren't Christmas themed, what would they be? 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

So to piggy back off the question about what we do like, I'm wondering: what are some of your recent non-Christmas favorites from Hallmark? Let's say within the last 3 years or so. We talk a lot about the old ones we like (Magic of Ordinary Days- yes!!), but less about the new ones. So if you had to pick 3-5 recent favorites that aren't Christmas themed, what would they be? 

For me, just thinking about the time that has passed since January 2018 up until now, the 3 that jumped to mind right away were Pearl in Paradise, Love on the Slopes and One Winter Proposal.   I absolutely love, love, love Pearl in Paradise.

But, when I think more about it, I remember a lot of others just from the last year or two that I liked a lot, so I could be listing off titles for a while.   I have watched Very, Very Valentine a few times.   I have watched Love, Of Course more than once.   I have watched Royal Matchmaker multiple times.   I have watched True Love Blooms  and Bottled with Love more than once.   Flip That Romance is good.  I liked All of My Heart: the Wedding and A Summer to Remember quite a bit.

I mean... that's all just from the 2018-2019.  I am not even getting into anything pre-2018 because I could be here, rattling off titles, for days!  lol

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Speaking of daring movies....Magic of Ordinary Days had an unmarried pregnant woman (gasp) as the heroine in the love story.

Fabulous movie all the way around.  Great story and a glimpse into the world during WWII.

6 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

So to piggy back off the question about what we do like, I'm wondering: what are some of your recent non-Christmas favorites from Hallmark? 

Zero.  Zip.  Nada.  Wouldn't watch any of them twice.

7 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I am barely even interested in the newer Hall of Fame movies now, although the Hall of Fame Christmas movies are closer to the vibe and formula that I like.  

That's because the current crop of Hall of Fame movies follow the same unimaginative boring tripe.  The old Hall of Fame were truly quality drama genre,

7 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

The two that immediately come to mind are Love to the Rescue and Pearl in Paradise. Those two would make it into my all time favorites easily. After that it would probably be Flip That Romance, Winter Love Story, One Winter Weekend and Cooking With Love. 

I have a real love-hate relationship with I Do, I Do, I Do. The beginning makes me want to throw things at the screen but then it has humor and one of the best developed relationships I’ve seen in a Hallmark movie. Plus I’m a sucker for time loop movies.