Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't really enjoy Festival of Ice.  I liked the female lead but the rest of the cast was kind of duds.  Also the "what will I be when I grow up?" crisis during the 3 day competition (most of which she was absent for) was silly.  The romance seemed like an afterthought, perhaps because there was no chemistry between the leads.

• Love 6

Christmas Festival of Ice was just okay. Taylor Cole was good given what she had to work with. The guy was just okay to me. The romance was meh, in almost every way it was too tepid. And I found the premise a tad odd. Her career crisis was almost unfocused, which I know seems odd to say, but like, she didn't actually want to be a professional ice sculptor, but they were almost acting like she did at a few points, which didn't make a ton of sense and wasn't what they acted like this was about.. It wouldn't have made this great, but her realizing a bit sooner and articulating better that she liked the non-profit fundraising and bringing the community together aspects of planning the competition, it would've made things a tad better to me.

I am happy they didn't have her go from a career as a lawyer to no direction whatsoever. I was very happy to see her mom was a lawyer, since many times these Hallmark movies seem to want us to believe women with grown children rarely have careers of their own, that's reserved for the fathers alone. This movie was not harping on city people, something I greatly appreciate and Hallmark could stand to replicate in other movies more often.  This movie also doesn't have a good researcher I guess, because they included her getting bar results in late December, something that literally doesn't happen in any of the 50 states ever, meaning for me, it was unnecessarily unrealistic. And I found the mom's contribution and the ending in general to be a bit of a stretch.

Also, although this is a Hallmark movie, I would be shocked to find out that when it was filmed, they knew that upfront. The commercial breaks in this movie were choppy at best and jarring at worst. They came in awkwardly on a regular basis, I'm talking mid-conversation at times, so I find it hard to believe they made this with the plan for commercial breaks the way a planned Hallmark movie would.

• Love 2

I didn’t enjoy Festival of Ice either.  Hallmark did an Ice carving competition movie a couple of years ago and my mind kept going back to that one.  The male lead was really blah so I couldn’t really get interested in their relationship development.  I dvr’d and then watched the movie on Hallmark’s other channel - The Perfect Christmas Present - and liked that much more.   I do think that by the time I finish watching all of these movies this season they will have blended into one.

• Love 1

Thanks guys- I wanted to skip the ice festival movie because it looked like a dud and now I can do that. I really enjoyed Ice Sculpture Christmas a few years ago so am bummed this wasn't as good. Hope Miss Christmas is good tonight.

I caught Christmas Under Wraps tonight, and enjoyed it more than when I watched it a few years ago. The cast was good even though the hokey Santa/elves stuff was annoying. That was back when I wasn't annoyed with Candace Cameron Burre. Let It Snow is still my favorite movie with her in it, but I get sad watching it because of Alan Thicke. I think Hallmark is playing it on Wednesday if anyone hasn't watched it. It is really good.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

The Festival of Ice was kind of blah, although I did like that the mom was a lawyer and the woman decided to work for the city.  But I had to laugh at the fact that they were talking about this ice festival like it was a "do the ice carving" or "be a lawyer" as if both couldn't be done.  And that she really didn't raise enough money to put on the festival because her mommy paid for it.

Now The Perfect Christmas Present, on the other hand, was ridiculously good, IMO, compared to what Hallmark has been putting out the past few years.  For one, it seemed like an actual movie with actual acts that were different I. Set up/getting to know one another II. Drama & Fallout III. Resolution.

The leads were both engaging.  They had personality but weren't annoying.  And unlike with Festival on Ice where the two leads basically obsessed over ice sculpting, but not each other, so the declaration of love at the end just felt perfunctory, we actually saw Tom and Jenny getting to know one another. 

I especially loved with what they did with the other love interests--the boyfriend especially.  I'm going to start sounding like his publicist but not only was he good looking and well acted but the character had some terrific nuance.  The character was self-centered but they didn't go too far with him that made it impossible for me to believe she hadn't dumped him yet.  Plus, his self-centeredness was played with a great comedic touch.  He'd just slip in these lines and provided some genuine laughs.  And yet, the actor really brought a genuine sense of anxiety and sadness when he couldn't close the deal with Jenny.   Victoria, too, was a snobby enough to provide laughs and make it obvious she wasn't right for Tom but not too much of a witch. I was genuinely rooting for Paul and Victoria at the end. 

When I say it seemed like an actual movie, though, is with the drama.  The drama was baked into the premise of the plot and not just thrown in there.  Of course Jenny would take issue with the fact that he was basically investigating her.  Of course Paul would be upset that the man he hired ended up pulling Jenny's affections away from him.  And those confrontations happened with forty whole minutes to go.  Not the usual 10 or 15 but 40.  Enough time for both fallouts and sadness to be played. Amazing. The grand gesture was also really well set up earlier in the movie in that it wasn't surprising if you're paying attention to the movie and it felt earned. 

Sure, maybe the drama required more conversation.  And maybe Paul got over losing his girlfriend to his friend a little too quickly (although I like that he explains why) but it was so well constructed that again, it felt satisfying to me.  Plus, the way they buttoned the movie with those stories of other clients of Tom's were very touching. 

The one woman of color in the cast being a Skype friend is probably a negative but even she seemed to be more not-carboard-cutout than we usually get with Hallmark. 

I'm not saying everyone is going to like this movie but structurally, it's a big step above, I believe.  I do think it seemed like they spent more actual money on this movie. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

Sometimes quality should be more important then quantity...but Hallmark channel is just giving viewers what they want...a formula.  

I like older holiday tv movies better, but that could be due to time marching on as opposed to any quality.

I do wish that there was a holiday movie where the big city is viewed as salvation vs either a suburb and small town.  People in the city love the holidays just as much, .imho

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2015/12/top-10-list-of-christmas-tv-movies-1980s-1990s/

• Love 2

I have watched Princess for Christmas which I still enjoy every time. It’s one of the older commoner - to- royalty ones, and it seems like they had a tiny bit more budget for it. 

I have missed a couple other favorites: Nine Lives of Christmas and Very Merry Mix-Up. Hope to catch them the next time through. 

Marry Me at Christmas was ok. I liked that the guy was the one getting all excited about wedding planning details, but I disliked the petty conflict over not trusting each other, and then the wedding planner being all, “oh well if we don’t trust each other after 2 weeks we should just forget the whole thing.”

I am now watching the Kathy Ireland ones which feel even older than they are. 

• Love 1

I love the leads but I don't think I can stick with this "Miss Christmas" movie. The idea of killing a beautiful family tree for it to be on display for one month seems so wasteful to me. I've always wondered how families are so willing to part with such magnificent trees for Rockefeller Center. Killing such beautiful trees just depresses me. Maybe I'll watch my dvr'ed "My Christmas Love" or "The Nine Lives of Christmas" instead. 

• Love 4

Marry Me at Christmas was just okay if you didn't read the book. If you read the book, then this movie is basically awful if you ask me. Unnecessary changes left and right that changed the story and spirit of the town quite a bit and make you a bit angry at how cliche the movie turned out. In the book, Ginger and her fiance do the exact same thing, basically uber smart and in a genetics PhD program. In the movie, they've made her fiance a promising cardio-thoracic surgeon and she's a web developer. Glad it wasn't worse than that, but there's no question of which is thought of with more prestige and shows a certain level of intelligence and they completely took all that away, and I'm insulted as a woman that they did it to her but not the fiance. There's no attention seeking wedding shop business partner, in fact the business is not at all in jeopardy, it's expanding. And no one, let alone her business partner, attempted to use Jonny's celebrity to their benefit in any real way, and the business partner did it constantly in the movie. Jonny also already lives in Fool's Gold, had for a few months, he didn't need to be convinced of moving to a place with a slower pace of life. There is no him getting involved because of who he is, the town treats him like someone ordinary, which he finds surprising and refreshing, just when he thinks they want him to use his celebrity, he finds out that they just want something regular that they'd ask of anyone else in town. So, the movie changed the feel of the town somewhat, they changed Ginger's occupation, where and how Jonny was living, they changed the tone of the book with trying to capitalize on who Jonny was. I do understand they couldn't capture the book completely in the movie, but this many changes, and I didn't touch on all of them, just made this nothing like the book and just so cliche. I don't see how it's not a disappointing watch if you've already read the book.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Crankybroad said:

I love the leads but I don't think I can stick with this "Miss Christmas" movie. The idea of killing a beautiful family tree for it to be on display for one month seems so wasteful to me. I've always wondered how families are so willing to part with such magnificent trees for Rockefeller Center. Killing such beautiful trees just depresses me. Maybe I'll watch my dvr'ed "My Christmas Love" or "The Nine Lives of Christmas" instead. 

I vote for Nine Lives. Just catching it for a minute today while I was finding something else on TV made me so happy. What a great movie.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

Marry Me at Christmas was just okay if you didn't read the book. If you read the book, then this movie is basically awful if you ask me. Unnecessary changes left and right that changed the story and spirit of the town quite a bit and make you a bit angry at how cliche the movie turned out. In the book, Ginger and her fiance do the exact same thing, basically uber smart and in a genetics PhD program. In the movie, they've made her fiance a promising cardio-thoracic surgeon and she's a web developer. Glad it wasn't worse than that, but there's no question of which is thought of with more prestige and shows a certain level of intelligence and they completely took all that away, and I'm insulted as a woman that they did it to her but not the fiance. There's no attention seeking wedding shop business partner, in fact the business is not at all in jeopardy, it's expanding. And no one, let alone her business partner, attempted to use Jonny's celebrity to their benefit in any real way, and the business partner did it constantly in the movie. Jonny also already lives in Fool's Gold, had for a few months, he didn't need to be convinced of moving to a place with a slower pace of life. There is no him getting involved because of who he is, the town treats him like someone ordinary, which he finds surprising and refreshing, just when he thinks they want him to use his celebrity, he finds out that they just want something regular that they'd ask of anyone else in town. So, the movie changed the feel of the town somewhat, they changed Ginger's occupation, where and how Jonny was living, they changed the tone of the book with trying to capitalize on who Jonny was. I do understand they couldn't capture the book completely in the movie, but this many changes, and I didn't touch on all of them, just made this nothing like the book and just so cliche. I don't see how it's not a disappointing watch if you've already read the book.

I went and read the book after watching the movie. While the changes you highlight ARE silly, I had some issues with the book as well. One of them is a pet peeve that I have with some of the romance series out there that similarly involve supposed celebrities. Just as in the movie, she is somewhat starstruck by Johnny at the start, as are other residents to some extent. Yet all of her friends are married to other celebrities from different professions. One small town with so many celebrities is kind of silly, IMO. I also didn't bother keeping track of the friends since there were so many (too many). I'll stop here. But anyway, I enjoyed both to some extent. I'll still enjoy the movie. It may have helped seeing the movie before reading the book - that seems to be a pattern with me. The same happened with Harry Potter originally, so I was able to enjoy both (though of course the books are better).

Maybe this is a weird question, but why are so few of these movies available on DVD? I'd think Hallmark would want to cash in on people purchasing their favorites, yet there have been a couple that I looked for that can't be found. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Maybe this is a weird question, but why are so few of these movies available on DVD? I'd think Hallmark would want to cash in on people purchasing their favorites, yet there have been a couple that I looked for that can't be found. 

Which movies?

2 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

Which movies?

Christmas in Homestead, 12 Gifts of Christmas, My Christmas Love.

I drew my Christmas loving cousin's name in our family gift exchange, and we both love these cheesy movies so I thought I'd track down a few I thought she'd like but it seems like every other one I look for doesn't exist to purchase. 

• Love 1

And here's my favorite, not-even-close, wish-there-was-a-sequel, movie: Crown for Christmas.

One of the best moments is when they're trapped in the greenhouse, and Allie thinks Max is about to go for it...but he reaches past her, then dangles: "Spare key!" in front of her. Yes, I could wish for more scenes together, but the ones they have = niiiiiiiiice.

And Lady Celia is their Miss Bingley (Pride & Prejudice reference).  Even though she's clearly no real threat, she's one of the better Hallmark movie spoilers.

• Love 7
On 11/5/2017 at 8:35 PM, scenicbyway said:

I enjoyed Miss Christmas, the story was interesting, as were the characters.

I did too. It has been the best movie I've seen in a while from Hallmark. I don't know if it was the terrific chemistry between the leads, the secondary characters, or the good storyline and even better ending, but I loved all of it. Definitely going to be on the rewatch list. 

There definitely needs to be a sequel to Crown for Christmas. The leads didn't have enough scenes together and I felt there was more to their story. Plus, Rupert Penry Jones needs to be on my TV screen again as soon as possible!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6
On 11/4/2017 at 11:17 PM, Irlandesa said:

The Festival of Ice was kind of blah, although I did like that the mom was a lawyer and the woman decided to work for the city.  But I had to laugh at the fact that they were talking about this ice festival like it was a "do the ice carving" or "be a lawyer" as if both couldn't be done.  And that she really didn't raise enough money to put on the festival because her mommy paid for it.

Now The Perfect Christmas Present, on the other hand, was ridiculously good, IMO, compared to what Hallmark has been putting out the past few years.  For one, it seemed like an actual movie with actual acts that were different I. Set up/getting to know one another II. Drama & Fallout III. Resolution.

Yes, yes, and yes! Agree with all of this post and your description of the characters and their motivations. Most movies today feel like first acts before the big finale. I appreciate The Perfect Christmas Present actually had a full story that was emotional and engaging. Great characters and the production value is simply gorgeous. So many great shots and set designs. I'm definitely watching this one again. I had a hard time sitting through Festival of Ice. It probably didn't help that Ice Sculpture Christmas is one of my faves and I kept making comparisons especially since I saw it the day before. Plus the leads aren't really my faves on the list. 

I saw Miss Christmas today while cooking but it felt a bit paint by the numbers. Nothing really stood out for me. I'm going to check out the book though and see how it is. I also want to read the Marry Me At Christmas book.  Although I didn't like the movie too well, the book sounds rather interesting.

I liked Christmas in the Air. It had a cute premise. Although a bit predictable in the beginning, I liked how the leads played off each other and it had an air of believability and the characters felt relatable. I'll probably rewatch this one again. That Sugar Plum Fairy hologram was pretty cool. The Movies and Mysteries channel seems to be leading with the quality this year. Funny because last year, I had a hard time finding a favorite.

Love, love, love Crown For Christmas. That movie is such a joy to watch and I never get tired of it. I kind of hope they do a book version because I would love to read the characters' thoughts and feelings and a possible epilogue to see what happens afterward. If Hallmark ups its sequel game, I would so love to see a continuation. Definitely one of their classics.

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 4

Reposting from the Christmas movie thread...

Hallmark has a ton of terrible movies but I really think last night’s ice sculpting one was the worst. The storyline was terrible! 22 year old (?) moves back home (in what looks like a rundown town) and decides that ice sculpting is her life’s work? I mean? There’s a definitely learning curve with going from School to real-life work but everyone is okay with her just deciding not to be a lawyer? After all that money? Ughhhhh! Sometimes you need to pay the bills, not be happy all the time. Dad was terrible too- “I’m sure she’ll throttle through”- lying to the mom. Please. She needed to get a job in a big city for a few years and then move back home and change her career. And the Nick was terrible too, not even cute. I could barely understand him. Bah!

• Love 2

I'd watch Christmas in the Air and Miss Christmas again.  I found myself fast forwarding through the Perfect Present one, there were too many Chicago city shots (and I like Chicago) and the mansion felt claustrophobic some how.  I also found the female lead annoying.

Love, love, love Crown for Christmas!  I could watch it everyday during the season.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Love, love, love Crown For Christmas. That movie is such a joy to watch and I never get tired of it. I kind of hope they do a book version because I would love to read the characters' thoughts and feelings and a possible epilogue to see what happens afterward. If Hallmark ups its sequel game, I would so love to see a continuation. Definitely one of their classics.

A book version??  I love this as much as I love Jewel in the Crown* for Christmas, my choice for sequel title.

* For all of you not around in the 80s, "Jewel in the Crown" was a British miniseries based on a book series about India & the end of the British Raj.  Thought I should explain how exceptionally clever I was trying to be!

@MissyPoo, thanks for the books head's-up.  I'll keep an eye out.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, voiceover said:

A book version??  I love this as much as I love Jewel in the Crown for Christmas, my choice for sequel title.

Yup! It looks like Hallmark is adapting some of their movies into book form. I'd love to grab a version of CFC if it's ever adapted.

ETA: Np voiceover! They have a few ones out now but they're all from last year's premieres.

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 1

I wasn't all that taken with Miss Christmas.  I liked the leads a lot. They can act and I guess they have decent chemistry but I do think I've reached my limit with stories about winter festivals and trees and movies taking place in small towns with Christmas names with one or more leads having a "Christmas" related name.  I can take one element. Or two.  But all of them?  The execution can be strong and odds are that it won't work.

• Love 1

I just watched Christmas Land for the first time. I liked it at first since I enjoy the leads, but I was ultimately annoyed by the expectations for the main character whose name I cannot  even recall. 

The whole town expects her to just quit her job and leave all her friends etc. to run a seasonal tourist attraction? And then luke McFarland rips into her after her own boyfriend basically conspired against her to trick her into selling. Gross. At least he felt bad about it later. And it was nice that some of the townsfolk pitched in to help by the place back, but it was still absurd to realize she had owned the whole thing free and clear 20 minutes earlier. 

• Love 4

I refuse to watch Christmas movies before Advent (except for Nightmare before Christmas, ha), but I appreciate all the discussions -- it's helping me decide which ones to tape (er, DVR -- showing my age).

I'm disappointed i missed Darrow & Darrow, especially because I adore Tom Cavanagh; I assume they won't be re-airing it until the new year?

And in other non-Christmas talk, I finally watched The Perfect Catch (had to wait until baseball season was over).  The baseball, of course, wasn't very realistic, including the fact that the male lead was on the small side for a pitcher. And when she started the food truck, I thought it would be kind of cool if that turned out to be the solution to her financial woes -- sell the diner and continue her grandfather's legacy with the truck, a trendy yet practical move.  But I guess that would not have been enough of a happy ending. Still, a pleasant movie.

21 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

For a little additional Hallmark movie marathon fun-- I shared the drinking game rules my sister-in-law and I made up with some friends- one of whom made it into a jpeg-- have fun!

Xmas movie drinking game_McNamara edition.jpg

This.Is.Awesome!!!!!  

I would also add:

Drink if the trees in the scene actually match the fall or winter season.

Drink if the snow on the ground looks real rather than piles of some fake snowy material from the craft store.

• Love 6
On 11/5/2017 at 3:43 PM, Myrrhine said:

I have watched Princess for Christmas which I still enjoy every time. It’s one of the older commoner - to- royalty ones, and it seems like they had a tiny bit more budget for it. 

Also, Sam Heughan played the hero -- he who went on to fame as the romantic lead in Starz Channel's Outlander.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

This.Is.Awesome!!!!!  

I would also add:

Drink if the trees in the scene actually match the fall or winter season.

Drink if the snow on the ground looks real rather than piles of some fake snowy material from the craft store.

Great ones. 

I would also like to add a few:

Drink if the leads admit to falling in love prior to their first kiss. Additional drink if their first kiss is at the end of the movie, with a bonus drink if it is under the mistletoe, in the snow, or in front of a tree.

Drink if the lead has a holiday name (Holly, Joy, Hope, Angel, Christian, Mary, etc.).

Drink if one of the leads hates Christmas. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 9
On 11/6/2017 at 1:29 AM, voiceover said:

And here's my favorite, not-even-close, wish-there-was-a-sequel, movie: Crown for Christmas.

One of the best moments is when they're trapped in the greenhouse, and Allie thinks Max is about to go for it...but he reaches past her, then dangles: "Spare key!" in front of her. Yes, I could wish for more scenes together, but the ones they have = niiiiiiiiice.

And Lady Celia is their Miss Bingley (Pride & Prejudice reference).  Even though she's clearly no real threat, she's one of the better Hallmark movie spoilers.

Okay, I'm about to watch Crown for Christmas for the first time--I just happened to turn it on as it started. Ten minutes in, and it's already head and shoulders above some of the other stuff I've seen recently!

• Love 8

I just watched The Mistletoe Promise,  as Christmas movies go it was pretty par for the course. It was a watchable couple of hours.  But, and this is a big but - they set up the ex-husband as being a real jerk, who does some really jerkish things and I watched this movie to the end at least in part because dammit I wanted payback!  I wanted him to suffer :).  And nope, nada, nothing.  All that happens is that Elyse (the ex-wife) decides in the end to sell him her share of their company.   Which is what he wanted all along.    I hate when they set someone up as a really nasty guy and then he doesn't get his comeuppance.  I know Christmas movies, at least made for TV ones anyway, are supposed to be happy and positive but just a little comeuppance would have been nice!

• Love 2

Catching up on a few 2017 Hallmark Christmas movies, I find it funny that the usual "caucasian lead with an ethnic bff" that used to be the Hallmark norm has been, at least in the few recent HM movies i've watched, turned into "caucasian lead with somewhat kooky redhead bff & ethnic boss".

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I just watched The Mistletoe Promise,  as Christmas movies go it was pretty par for the course. It was a watchable couple of hours.  But, and this is a big but - they set up the ex-husband as being a real jerk, who does some really jerkish things and I watched this movie to the end at least in part because dammit I wanted payback!  I wanted him to suffer :).  And nope, nada, nothing.  All that happens is that Elyse (the ex-wife) decides in the end to sell him her share of their company.   Which is what he wanted all along.    I hate when they set someone up as a really nasty guy and then he doesn't get his comeuppance.  I know Christmas movies, at least made for TV ones anyway, are supposed to be happy and positive but just a little comeuppance would have been nice!

So true. Like in June in January when the rival threatens the mom that she'll be sorry. Then she steals the wedding list and reschedules the officiant or something. The whole thing is a minor blip that is solved two seconds later but with that whole set up and evil glare and such, I was expecting a little more to the threat. At least she got told off by the leading man. Best part of the movie.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kirinan said:

Okay, I'm about to watch Crown for Christmas for the first time--I just happened to turn it on as it started. Ten minutes in, and it's already head and shoulders above some of the other stuff I've seen recently!

Welcome to the CfC Club!!  We are Legion.

p.s.: I have first dibs on Rupert P-J, so take a number.

edited because I thought you meant, you *missed* the first 10 minutes.  Because the first 10 minutes sets you up for Max's last line, which is perfect.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 3

I just re-watched A Nutcracker Christmas.  I love that movie.  Sasha Radetsky is not really a good actor but my god what a beautiful man he is and a great dancer.  The whole movie is worth it for the payoff at the end when you get to watch much of The Nutcracker and The Dance of  The Sugar Plum Fairy, most beautifully and magically performed.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, kirinan said:

I watched it for the first time yesterday, too! I usually only watch the Hallmark mysteries but I was visiting my mom. I sent her off to dinner & then quickly drove home so I could finish watching. It did not disappoint!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, azaleagirl said:

[Crown for Christmas] did not disappoint!

That's because it's *awesome*.  I was thinking, one of the awesome aspects: the opening song, and the song at the end.  Thematically perfect, without being heavy-handed.

Hey, here's a little "inside baseball" for you...this morning's movie (the one before Candace Cameron Bure gets snowed in, in Buffalo) had a specific line that made me smile.  Apparently a shipment of mistletoe is misdirected to Kansas City.  And  the heroine (I think?) remarks that, "Great, now everyone in Missouri will be...[kissing?]"

Many people hear "Kansas City" and think it's in Kansas.  There is a KC, KS, but it's way north of Kansas City, MO.  And all the sports teams, and jazz references, and Walt Disney-as-a-boy stories, reference the one in Missouri.

Hallmark's home office is in KCMO.  That's where the Hall family, who started the company, lives.  Funnily enough, IIRC, they live on the Kansas side of the Missouri state line, that borders KCMO.  I grew up, not too far away, also on the Kansas side.  And it's one of those bizarre, "You have to be from there" things, that those of us from those suburbs, always correct.  Or roll our eyes at.

Anyway.  This novelization has been presented to say, Wow! Accuracy on a minor point, to make all the hometown folks go nuts over something no one else cares about. *bows*

• Love 2
9 hours ago, azaleagirl said:

I watched it for the first time yesterday, too! I usually only watch the Hallmark mysteries but I was visiting my mom. I sent her off to dinner & then quickly drove home so I could finish watching. It did not disappoint!

I LOVED it. And don't worry, voiceover, I'll leave you Rupert Penry-Jones, although I liked him tremendously (and spent half the movie going, "Would you find your cojones already, Max?" All's forgiven now.). I'm faithful to my Hallmark leading men, Antonio Cupo, Victor Webster, Paul Greene, and now Colin Ferguson (who's been my heartthrob for ages). I loved the way Theodora bonded with Allie, and the dance with Theodora and her father, and I loved Fergus, and Mrs. Claiborne... Even the way Miss Wick was touched by her drawing. And the story was so well-done, just a perfect fairy tale.  When he rode up on that horse... <swoon>

This one's a keeper, very close to Love at the Thnaksgiving Day Parade. Which is my highest praise!

• Love 4

That was one of the best kisses on Hallmark movies- there aren't many any movies where the lead just grabs the girl. Swoonworthy indeed. 

Anyone catch the new Lacey Chabert movie? Her acting is starting to annoy me after overloading with so many of her movies. She's always some awesome baker or wholesome character. I don't think I can stomach another one.

• Love 7

I liked The Sweetest Christmas, but didn't think it was exceptional. I liked it better than Festival of Ice (which I thought was flimsy from the start) and Miss Christmas so maybe I'm just judging it against a pretty low bar. I'm hoping to catch the Song for Christmas (or whatever the movie with Becca Tobin was called) some other time. Did anyone see it? Is it worth trying to catch? 

I'll admit, I haven't watched Hallmark movies in the past much but this year I felt like I could use some cheesy positivity in my life, so my husband and I added the package with Hallmark to our streaming service. I'm in love. Crown for Christmas is by far my favorite, but I also really liked Snow Bride and Trading Christmas. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'll admit, I haven't watched Hallmark movies in the past much but this year I felt like I could use some cheesy positivity in my life, so my husband and I added the package with Hallmark to our streaming service. I'm in love. Crown for Christmas is by far my favorite, but I also really liked Snow Bride and Trading Christmas. 

Yay, a newbie! You picked the perfect time to start watching since movies are on all the time. Trading Christmas is another good movie (and I've watched Snow Bride at least 6 times). Some other great movies to catch are:

Hitched for the holidays

Let It Snow 

Nine Lives of Christmas

On the 12th Day of Christmas (its airing on Wednesday)

A Very Merry Mixup

A Princess for Christmas

Window Wonderland

Enjoy!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, twoods said:

That was one of the best kisses on Hallmark movies- there aren't many any movies where the lead just grabs the girl. Swoonworthy indeed. 

Anyone catch the new Lacey Chabert movie? Her acting is starting to annoy me after overloading with so many of her movies. She's always some awesome baker or wholesome character. I don't think I can stomach another one.

Yes to Lacey’s acting. Most of the time she stands there with full cheeks and a blank expression on her face... I just don’t get it. Why is she always some undiscovered superstar baker? Huge eye roll. It was better than last weeks ice sculpting one, but that’s not saying much. So many plot holes - you’re telling me that in a town that has only 8 restaurants, you’ve never run into your high school ex in ~10 years? Yeesh.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, twoods said:

Yay, a newbie! You picked the perfect time to start watching since movies are on all the time. Trading Christmas is another good movie (and I've watched Snow Bride at least 6 times). Some other great movies to catch are:

Hitched for the holidays

Let It Snow 

Nine Lives of Christmas

A Very Merry Mixup

A Princess for Christmas

A Window Wonderland

Enjoy!

I work from home most days, and when I do all I've been watching are Christmas movies. It has been awesome! I miss a lot of the evening ones because of having young children, but catch as many as I can on re-airing. 

I will keep an eye out for all of those! Thanks for the recommendations!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I liked The Sweetest Christmas, but didn't think it was exceptional. I liked it better than Festival of Ice (which I thought was flimsy from the start) and Miss Christmas so maybe I'm just judging it against a pretty low bar. I'm hoping to catch the Song for Christmas (or whatever the movie with Becca Tobin was called) some other time. Did anyone see it? Is it worth trying to catch? 

I may not be the best person to listen to, as I've often enjoyed movies that many here dislike and disliked movies others loved (with some exceptions, like Crown for Christmas), but I actually really liked Song for Christmas. I wasn't expecting to based on the original description of the movie and the fact that I haven't enjoyed or found that male lead attractive in other movies. But unless I missed something, I think the actual storyline was changed somewhat from the first description. And the male actor worked for me in this one and with the female lead. 

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

Hitched for the Holidays

Let It Snow 

Nine Lives of Christmas

A Very Merry Mixup

A Princess for Christmas

A Window Wonderland

I would also add The Christmas Card as a favorite.   I never tire of that one.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

I may not be the best person to listen to, as I've often enjoyed movies that many here dislike and disliked movies others loved (with some exceptions, like Crown for Christmas), but I actually really liked Song for Christmas. I wasn't expecting to based on the original description of the movie and the fact that I haven't enjoyed or found that male lead attractive in other movies. But unless I missed something, I think the actual storyline was changed somewhat from the first description. And the male actor worked for me in this one and with the female lead. 

I liked it also. The drama did not seem manufactured or thrown in. None of the characters were overly annoying. I could understand why this singer was not fighting her manager (she only had one hit. Wasn’t a huge star). I thought there was chemistry. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

I would also add The Christmas Card as a favorite.   I never tire of that one.

Case in point, I'm the one person who did not like The Christmas Card. I thought the acting by everyone was terrible and couldn't get past it. But that's apparently a widespread favorite, so what do I know?

• Love 3