Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Okay. I wasn't going to post about this, but it's totally relevant.
<begin rant>
It's not enough to have to get to the beach to swim before the families arrive and in time to be available for the FaceTime call from my mom's hospice, but I have to try to time it to not be in the water when the entitled SOB with the otherwise perfect dog arrives to throw a retrieval device in the water for the dog for 10 minutes.
There's an "adults only" section, but that's where Entitled SOB takes his dog.
There may be bad dogs, but mostly there are just bad dog owners.
There are "No Pets Allowed" at the beach, and the city has a leash law, but if I complain, the city will shut down the beach.
Yesterday I was swimming at 7 a.m. and assumed I had missed Entitled SOB (he usually comes at 6:30ish) when he shows up and lets his dog out of the car, which immediately makes a beeline for the water where I am swimming.
I began to say "Crap" louder and louder until I was yelling "Crap! Crap! Crap!" as a kind of unintended double entendre. [Feel free to be amused here.]
Finally I yelled (while swimming in water over my head), "Can you give me 10 minutes????!!!!"
He yelled "Sure!"
I got out and grabbed my stuff and finished my swim in the non-age-restricted area, dodging kids and rock skippers.
The reason he's an Entitled SOB is because there are probably a couple hundred dog owners who would also like to bring their dogs to the beach. But then it would be a "dog beach," like the 2 beaches within 15 miles of the "No Pets Allowed" beach.
</end rant>

• Love 4

I have my issues with some cat owners as well.   I think it is so important to keep cats inside for several reasons.  It keeps them away from predators, busy streets, and horrible people that wish to harm them.  That also stops cats from killing birds and along with other animals.  Cats that are kept indoors on average live longer.

As I have mentioned before, I have had to pull my bird feeders in because of chipmunks.  In the past when the bird feeders were out, I was chasing cats away from them as well.

Absolutely. My cats are strictly indoor only.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Absolutely. My cats are strictly indoor only.

Same here! My cats don't even want to venture out even if I leave the door open to get the mail or grab something outside. I guess they realized they have it pretty good indoors so why go outside?  😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
10 minutes ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Same here! My cats don't even want to venture out even if I leave the door open to get the mail or grab something outside. I guess they realized they have it pretty good indoors so why go outside?  😄

My little Peaches had no interest whatsoever. Her mother was a trapped and released feral and she knew what was out there. Nathan was another story. We used to walk him while wearing a harness and a leash. Peaches practically came out of her fur when she looked out the window and saw him. At first mewing plaintively, finally working herself up to hysterical shrieking so we didn't do that any more. The next time he got out, my DH had stepped onto the front porch to grab the paper and a squirrel dashed up looking for a peanut. Nathan ran about six feet down the sidewalk and then it hit him, he was outside. He belly crawled right back into the house.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

Swiffers are useless pieces of crap. I have 2 cats, & all the stupid sweeper does is push fur & litter around, it doesn't pick any of it up. The commercials on tv show the people pushing it around a little & then walking away. They don't bother with the whole sweeping all the dirt up with a dustpan & broom part.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My little Peaches had no interest whatsoever. Her mother was a trapped and released feral and she knew what was out there. Nathan was another story. We used to walk him while wearing a harness and a leash. Peaches practically came out of her fur when she looked out the window and saw him. At first mewing plaintively, finally working herself up to hysterical shrieking so we didn't do that any more. The next time he got out, my DH had stepped onto the front porch to grab the paper and a squirrel dashed up looking for a peanut. Nathan ran about six feet down the sidewalk and then it hit him, he was outside. He belly crawled right back into the house.

I just pictured this in my head! 😂 

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

I just pictured this in my head! 😂 

It was so funny. He just stopped, crouched and turned himself right around. Another time I was out weeding the garden and I guess I didn't close the front door all the way. I was out there for about an hour and when I came back in, he was just sitting in the doorway. No attempt to even set a paw beyond there.

• LOL 3
On 7/18/2020 at 9:38 AM, TattleTeeny said:

OH MY GOD, you just made me have such a sense memory of the school grilled cheese! WTF was with that and why was it ubiquitous?! (Also, weird: just as I started typing this, a commercial for Taco Bell's grilled cheese burrito came on.)

I am having a peeve, but it's bigger than that -- and one of those "duh, of COURSE it's a peeve because no one normal would be OK with it" ones. But I just want to get it OUT. So, OK, I am always signing online petitions regarding animal cruelty cases. I am not sure if it helps or doesn't, but I do it anyway. I've become really good at looking only at the section for signing, and not the details (sometimes even using my hand to cover the screen like a crazy). But sometimes I do see and then it's all over. Why the fuck are people so unnecessarily cruel? What makes someone do this shit? How can they?! It kills me. These are all rhetorical questions, of course. But, again, I had to get it out. 

Your not the only who covers up the picture with your hands, I do it all the time because then thats all I think about and I get really depressed

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It was so funny. He just stopped, crouched and turned himself right around. Another time I was out weeding the garden and I guess I didn't close the front door all the way. I was out there for about an hour and when I came back in, he was just sitting in the doorway. No attempt to even set a paw beyond there.

That's one of my favorite things about cats. They don't always do what you would expect them to do!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

There may be bad dogs, but mostly there are just bad dog owners.

I know for sure there is a bad dog.   The owner of the dog was no great prize either.  Thankfully they moved.  I will be shocked if that dog hasn't bitten someone by now.

Yes, and truly bad dogs had evil dog owners. The Entitled SOB dog owner who is my biggest current Pet Peeve is probably a really nice-to-his-dog dog owner. His dog is living the life of an entitled dog, but he's a dog, so he can't read the "No Pets Allowed" sign --but then neither can a lot of the humans, apparently, as it also says "no bicycles, no pedestrians" etc. on the winding, narrow road down to the beach. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of multi-million dollar homes inhabited by a lot of people who can afford lawyers to fight city tickets, even though my little apartment with the broken down appliances is $900/mo.  

• Love 3

As long as we are on about stupid dog owners: I am currently volunteering a couple of afternoons a week (or more when they will let me!) at our local food pantry. Since the YACKVirus! (TM) started our clients can no longer come into our courtyard and leisurely pick out which foodstuffs (and clothes and books) they would like to take home; instead they must stay in their cars and "pop" the trunk or whatever, and our volunteer college and high school students run out to the cars with bags of already packed groceries and non-perishables (I am generally a packer). Today our two college guys had to leave early so I was helping take bags out to the cars. One lady drove up in a white van and hit whatever switch released the back door of her van. I approached with my arms full of bags and as the door opened two dogs sprang forward at me, barking furiously (not leashed or restrained in any way in the back of the mostly empty van). The lady laughed and said something to the effect of "Oh, I knew they would do that!" (ha ha ha) As I am not easily intimidated by anything on two legs or four, I basically just started growling as loudly as possible at the dogs (through my cloth mask) and that confused them enough that I was able to dump my bags in the van and back away before they got any closer to me. I mean really, I am sick enough of people taking their dogs *everywhere* with them, no matter how inappropriate, but why would you want them crawling all over your free food and barking at the people who are trying to help you out?

20 minutes ago, isalicat said:

As long as we are on about stupid dog owners: I am currently volunteering a couple of afternoons a week (or more when they will let me!) at our local food pantry. Since the YACKVirus! (TM) started our clients can no longer come into our courtyard and leisurely pick out which foodstuffs (and clothes and books) they would like to take home; instead they must stay in their cars and "pop" the trunk or whatever, and our volunteer college and high school students run out to the cars with bags of already packed groceries and non-perishables (I am generally a packer). Today our two college guys had to leave early so I was helping take bags out to the cars. One lady drove up in a white van and hit whatever switch released the back door of her van. I approached with my arms full of bags and as the door opened two dogs sprang forward at me, barking furiously (not leashed or restrained in any way in the back of the mostly empty van). The lady laughed and said something to the effect of "Oh, I knew they would do that!" (ha ha ha) As I am not easily intimidated by anything on two legs or four, I basically just started growling as loudly as possible at the dogs (through my cloth mask) and that confused them enough that I was able to dump my bags in the van and back away before they got any closer to me. I mean really, I am sick enough of people taking their dogs *everywhere* with them, no matter how inappropriate, but why would you want them crawling all over your free food and barking at the people who are trying to help you out?

A friend who works in a veterinary clinic says there are a lot of people adopting dogs during the pandemic who should not be. I don't know if this owner was one, but I have to question the wisdom of owning 2 dogs when you can't afford to buy groceries for the humans in your household. I realize this person may have recently had a severe economic downturn and owned the dogs before the world crashed, but then shouldn't she know better than to pull the stunt with the dogs attacking the food bank worker? Your instincts may be more noble than mine, @isalicat, I'm not sure that I would have gotten close enough to put the food in the trunk, I might've left it on the curb for her to fetch. Even if she is stressed about a lot of things that we cannot know, she seems to need a wake-up call regarding her dogs.

• Love 4

Dogs scare me, particularly what we all sudden doggies, so I'd have probably jumped so much that I dropped all the bags and spilled food all over the ground. If she knew the dogs would do that (as she said she did), then why didn't she restrain them in some way or not bring them?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Dogs scare me, particularly what we all sudden doggies, so I'd have probably jumped so much that I dropped all the bags and spilled food all over the ground. If she knew the dogs would do that (as she said she did), then why didn't she restrain them in some way or not bring them?

Purely for my own peace of mind I am trying to find ways to imagine forgivable reasons for asshole behavior. In this case, since the lady in the car laughed said something like "Oh, I knew they would do that!"...

2 hours ago, isalicat said:

The lady laughed and said something to the effect of "Oh, I knew they would do that!" (ha ha ha)

...I am imagining that her life is crazy for many likely-pandemic-related reasons, like maybe her elderly inlaws and her 20+ kids have moved in with her and the dogs belong to them, and maybe she didn't know she was going to pick up the food when she put the dogs in the car, or maybe any of a bunch of other scenarios I can imagine.
The reason I am so peeved at the Entitled SOB I posted about above is because he has been doing this every day for months and it is against the law in our town. 
So, if the lady shows up with the dogs again at the food bank, she is officially an Entitled Asshole. 
For now she is just Annoying But Still Forgivable in my book.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, GaT said:

Swiffers are useless pieces of crap. I have 2 cats, & all the stupid sweeper does is push fur & litter around, it doesn't pick any of it up. The commercials on tv show the people pushing it around a little & then walking away. They don't bother with the whole sweeping all the dirt up with a dustpan & broom par

Same here! Same with those stupid dusters, all it does is let it loose to fly around the room.  I tossed my swiffer and  my duster and went back to the old fashioned way: a rag to dust and sweeping and vacuuming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A friend who works in a veterinary clinic says there are a lot of people adopting dogs during the pandemic who should not be.

Ugh. I completely believe this. Poor dogs. I adopted two fish during the pandemic, but I do feel confident that I'm capable of taking care of them for the long run.

12 hours ago, auntlada said:

I bring my good dog (Norm!) to dog friendly places, because I know the worst he will do is shed on people. Or drool. He's a bit slobbery. I wouldn't bring my other dog.  We adopted him when he was ten and about to be sent off to a shelter, and he came with some issues that I've never been able to completely overcome. He's a friendly little guy but can get snippy if you surprise him. He also gets weird and barky around other dogs. It's best for him to always be in comfortable, controlled situations. As opposed to what the people we're talking about here do with their dogs.

Interestingly, Norman is such a friendly dog that we often get stopped by people at Lowe's (for example) who have children who are afraid of dogs, because they want to use him to work on that fear. Lots of "This is how you approach a dog. Let him sniff you. See! He likes it when you pet him." 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ugh. I completely believe this. Poor dogs. I adopted two fish during the pandemic, but I do feel confident that I'm capable of taking care of them for the long run.

I bring my good dog (Norm!) to dog friendly places, because I know the worst he will do is shed on people. Or drool. He's a bit slobbery. I wouldn't bring my other dog.  We adopted him when he was ten and about to be sent off to a shelter, and he came with some issues that I've never been able to completely overcome. He's a friendly little guy but can get snippy if you surprise him. He also gets weird and barky around other dogs. It's best for him to always be in comfortable, controlled situations. As opposed to what the people we're talking about here do with their dogs.

Interestingly, Norman is such a friendly dog that we often get stopped by people at Lowe's (for example) who have children who are afraid of dogs, because they want to use him to work on that fear. Lots of "This is how you approach a dog. Let him sniff you. See! He likes it when you pet him." 

It was very kind of you to adopt an older dog. They are often overlooked because people want a "baby". Poor, old things. They may have known a loving or at least comfortable home all their lives and now, what happened? What did I do wrong?

• Love 7

As I find myself and my cats aging, I’m assuming that I will outlive them. I doubt I would outlive a kitten and would fear what would happen to them. So when I lose my two I’m going straight to a rescue to adopt a cat (or bonded pair) that have sadly lost their owner and are in need of continuing their comfortable life. They don’t have need of all the training and energy releases. 

• Love 14
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Norman looks like a good dog. I would probably start off afraid of him. When dogs like him are around, though, I try to use them to help my son not be afraid of dogs like I am. I've taught him (or tried really hard to teach him) to always ask the owner if he can pet the dog and then hold out his hand and let the dog sniff his knuckles before patting. He seems to have learned that lesson. He tries to get our cats to sniff him before he pats the cats. The cats really don't care what he smells like as long as he gives them food and plays with them and pats them (but not like that because cats are always particular about how you pat, and you usually are doing it wrong).

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

With cats, I always point out my index finger and they touch it with their nose.  I don't think I have ever met a cat that didn't do that.   That said, you have to know what kind of cat is being dealt with before doing that.  I have grown fond of my index finger, I don't want to lose it to an unfriendly cat.

Three years ago we went to our local, excellent shelter to look for a cat (our late kitty died the year before at age 20.5). When I'd put my hand up to the cages, every cat took a swipe, except a big B/W Maine C***. So I cautiously put my hand into her cubby & started scratching her neck. Well, that was the beginning of a fabulous relationship. She reallllllly leaned into my hand, loving a scratch in her big white mane--still does! She was 7 then, brought in by someone who could no longer care for her. We renamed her Zoe and her antics have kept us laughing for 3 years. Most folks want kittens, but adult cats can be a lot of fun too (& Zoe is like having a 13 lb puppy tearing around the house at times). She's a piece of work.

• Love 13

I like a man with a beard, but why do usually clean-shaven men on TV think corona virus is an excuse not to shave?  You just gained a bunch of time by not having to commute, yet you can't be bothered to look presentable?

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
On 7/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

if I complain, the city will shut down the beach.

Why?

They shut the beach down early in the season because of complaints of young people not social distancing.
I guess in this mostly hoity-toity neighborhood it is required that there be near-zero police calls.

• Useful 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Three years ago we went to our local, excellent shelter to look for a cat (our late kitty died the year before at age 20.5). When I'd put my hand up to the cages, every cat took a swipe, except a big B/W Maine C***. So I cautiously put my hand into her cubby & started scratching her neck. Well, that was the beginning of a fabulous relationship. She reallllllly leaned into my hand, loving a scratch in her big white mane--still does! She was 7 then, brought in by someone who could no longer care for her. We renamed her Zoe and her antics have kept us laughing for 3 years. Most folks want kittens, but adult cats can be a lot of fun too (& Zoe is like having a 13 lb puppy tearing around the house at times). She's a piece of work.

I haven't had a pet in decades due to not being a home owner and living on a strict budget (to prevent future homelessness) but when I had cats (and kids), I was definitely an adult cat person, not a kitten person. Kittens are cute so long as they're other people's kittens. Conversely, I preferred my own babies/kids to other people's.

Edited by shapeshifter
Clarity
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

I like a man with a beard, but why do usually clean-shaven men on TV think corona virus is an excuse not to shave?  You just gained a bunch of time by not having to commute, yet you can't be bothered to look presentable?

For those of us who haven’t worn facial hair our whole lives, this was an opportunity to see what it looks like. Not just like a week to get through the five-o-clock shadow look, but weeks to grow it out, trim it, shape it. 

I already had a beard but I used the time to see what it looked like different trim levels. (Spoiler alert: the longer it gets, the whiter it looks, so I’m clean shaven again,)

Of course, I agree that this shouldn’t apply to someone still on TV every day. Those guys weren’t granted the same opportunity to mess around with their appearance as an ordinary quarantined office worker.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

.The one human trait that seems to be fading away from generation to generation into oblivion is empathy, and has been replaced with a sense of entitlement.  Sad.

100% of the bad neighbor issues I’ve had in recent memory can be attributed to this.  I’m talking about issues other than a neighbor’s dog.  I’d talk to the neighbor and try to explain but they’d do it again and sometimes another time or more.  In one instance I had to contact the property manager through a rather tersely worded email which resulted in her talking to the actual unit owner (the problem neighbor was a renter who I spoke to initially, continued to do the offending behavior and avoided me when I tried to talk to them again) who took care of the problem for me.  

Edited by Cobb Salad
correct misspelling
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They shut the beach down early in the season because of complaints of young people not social distancing.
I guess in this mostly hoity-toity neighborhood it is required that there be near-zero police calls.

Well that's maddening isn't it?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The one human trait that seems to be fading away from generation to generation into oblivion is empathy, and has been replaced with a sense of entitlement.  Sad.

Ain't that the truth! How did that happen? Can it be taught in our schools?  I sure think it's as important as learning everything else in their curriculum today.  We're really seeing a lack of empathy, the sense of entitlement during this pandemic, aren't we?  The horrible behavior of so many Americans is shocking.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ain't that the truth! How did that happen? Can it be taught in our schools?  I sure think it's as important as learning everything else in their curriculum today.  We're really seeing a lack of empathy, the sense of entitlement during this pandemic, aren't we?  The horrible behavior of so many Americans is shocking.

Shouldn't empathy be something you learn at home?  We already expect way too much on way too little pay from our teachers.  Maybe parents should be parents and, well, actually parent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

People (on TV shows, movies, and especially in real life) who don't take their shoes off when they curl up on the couch, or even worse, the bed.  They do know they've been treading through dog shit, right?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Shouldn't empathy be something you learn at home?  We already expect way too much on way too little pay from our teachers.  Maybe parents should be parents and, well, actually parent.

That would be nice if it were taught at home. But obviously it isn't in way too many homes. 

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

That would be nice if it were taught at home. But obviously it isn't in way too many homes. 

Coincidentally, from the (only) book I illustrated —due out in August— primarily for use in the classroom, but maybe will be purchased by parents--
K is for Kind: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wSxScJaUbz1EfFrhTKbBgLX_UrZMSzOK/view?usp=drivesdk

It’s an alphabet book of feelings and emotions. I didn’t get to pick the feelings.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

People (on TV shows, movies, and especially in real life) who don't take their shoes off when they curl up on the couch, or even worse, the bed. 

You mean like real estate shows, where participants wearing shoes climb onto other people's sofas, beds and even into their bathtub? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

15 hours ago, Brookside said:

Empathy should be taught everywhere. Home, school, out and about in errands by random strangers showing kindness. It should be taught by example and there are many adults who are lacking or fogot how to be empathetic. People equate being empatethic with being weak or a pushover while acting entitled and demaning is being equeated with being strong and outspoken. It's possible to be strong, outspoken and empatethic. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Of course he used to lift his leg every time he farted, which did make me wonder what the heck was going on there

I’m sorry, but this visual has me laughing hysterically.  I’ve seen guys do this too!  WTF???  Does it make the fart more satisfying?  Like there’s nobody close enough for ‘pull my finger’?

My current peeve: ‘food blogs’ that are in reality mommy blogs with a recipe thrown in.  Like I came for a recipe for chocolate mousse.  But you’re rambling about Precious Baby Blahblah who chased a bird in the park, isn’t he a genius??  Oh no, Precious Baby Blahblah has the stomach flu, all day long with the vomiting and diarrhea.  Then finally there’s the recipe for chocolate mousse and I’m like Ewww no thanks.

I did finally find a great one where the Precious Baby Blahblah is an adorable Golden Retriever, and she keeps that part of the blog at the bottom after the recipe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

I’m sorry, but this visual has me laughing hysterically.  I’ve seen guys do this too!  WTF???  Does it make the fart more satisfying?  Like there’s nobody close enough for ‘pull my finger’?

My current peeve: ‘food blogs’ that are in reality mommy blogs with a recipe thrown in.  Like I came for a recipe for chocolate mousse.  But you’re rambling about Precious Baby Blahblah who chased a bird in the park, isn’t he a genius??  Oh no, Precious Baby Blahblah has the stomach flu, all day long with the vomiting and diarrhea.  Then finally there’s the recipe for chocolate mousse and I’m like Ewww no thanks.

I did finally find a great one where the Precious Baby Blahblah is an adorable Golden Retriever, and she keeps that part of the blog at the bottom after the recipe.

Blogs.  I get it.  It's the way that Mommy/Daddy/Joe - Jane Blow can monetize their ramblings while working from home.  We should all be so lucky.  I've discovered that whenever I happen across a recipe that interests me and it's from someone's blog, I first use the scroll bar to get to the 9th inning if you will, read the actual recipe (which is generally written in traditional form at the bottom of the page), and if I feel the need to torture myself by having to actually read the colorful (or not so) bits by the author, I will do so for additional info or context.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh man it’s even worse when I remember they get paid for that drivel.  I missed my calling.

’I used Le Creuset to prepare this delicious box of Hamburger Helper.  Thanks, Le Creuset!’

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 7/23/2020 at 6:49 PM, isalicat said:

One lady drove up in a white van and hit whatever switch released the back door of her van. I approached with my arms full of bags and as the door opened two dogs sprang forward at me, barking furiously (not leashed or restrained in any way in the back of the mostly empty van). The lady laughed and said something to the effect of "Oh, I knew they would do that!"

This totally got my blood up. I've been involved with purebred dogs for decades and have shown multiple breeds professionally and put AKC championships on more than 100 dogs. I've also trained obedience dogs. I have no tolerance for ill-mannered dogs or disrespectful, irresponsible owners. First, to let two dogs ride loose in the back of a van is the same as just chucking your toddler child onto the passenger seat of your auto, or letting it roll around in the back of the van. One is against the law, the other is who gives a care. A friend of mine who is an AKC judge let her dog ride loose in her car, and then killed it when she was in an accident, rolled the car and the dog was thrown out the window. There are crates made for dogs to ride in safely. Use them, people. They are for the same reason as car seats are required for human babies.

Second, if I had been taking groceries to that van and those dogs jumped out barking at me, a person who is afraid of no dog, I would have turned and walked away, told the lady to leave and come back some time when she can either control the dogs, contain them inside the van or not have them with at all. Bye, no free groceries for you, stupid person.

End of that story for me. I have zero tolerance for dumbass dog owners.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have no clue where the sense of entitlement has come from.  I think that is getting to be even more of an issue than it used to be.

This article explains it better than me, but it happens from parents telling their kids that they are special all the time when in fact, they're just ordinary people. It gives them a sense of being better than everyone else, instead of being like everyone else. I think this is something that is a few generations old, but it's why all the helicopter parents appeared & so many people think that their twitter comments matter to the world.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I remember back in the 70s when all the little kids like myself sat in the back of the station wagon with nothing to protect us if something went horribly wrong, accident wise.

Or, worse, in the beds of pick up trucks.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Kiki777 said:
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Of course he used to lift his leg every time he farted, which did make me wonder what the heck was going on there

I have to admit, I did this about 10 minutes ago. I live alone so I'm not stinking anyone out. I just feel like it's better to let the smell out into the open air than into my couch. It's probably silly but it makes sense in my head. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2020 at 7:44 AM, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day when my father watched Lawrence Welk, my dad would take off his shoes and recline in his chair.   His feet stunk so bad, I was surprised that there weren't mushrooms growing between his toes and through his socks.   Til this very day, every time I channel surf past an old Lawrence Welk episode,  I remember the smell of those stinky feet.

I think we had the same dad. My dad's feet stunk so bad, and he would use an afghan (do people still use that term for couch blankets?) to cover up and then it would smell like his feet too. My mom had crocheted that afghan and when she tried to give it to me when I moved into my new house I politely declined and told her that maybe my sister would like it. Even though it has been washed many times in the last 25 years in my head it will always smell like my dad's stinky feet. 

19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Blogs.  I get it.  It's the way that Mommy/Daddy/Joe - Jane Blow can monetize their ramblings while working from home.  We should all be so lucky.  I've discovered that whenever I happen across a recipe that interests me and it's from someone's blog, I first use the scroll bar to get to the 9th inning if you will, read the actual recipe (which is generally written in traditional form at the bottom of the page), and if I feel the need to torture myself by having to actually read the colorful (or not so) bits by the author, I will do so for additional info or context.

I am so with you. Our local paper has a popular blogger who rambles about motherhood, being a wife, and loving wine. I don't get what people find interesting about her at all, and yet she is always popping up at events as the 'celebrity' judge or guest or whatever. Like you said, apparently people make money with it so who am I to judge....

• Love 4
On 7/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've discovered that whenever I happen across a recipe that interests me and it's from someone's blog, I first use the scroll bar to get to the 9th inning if you will, read the actual recipe (which is generally written in traditional form at the bottom of the page), and if I feel the need to torture myself by having to actually read the colorful (or not so) bits by the author, I will do so for additional info or context.

I know that this phenomenon  pops up in memes and other social media fairly regularly for me these days. I had my first batch of kirby cucumbers from my garden this weekend so I went looking for some pickle ideas. The one I liked was at the bottom of a LONG-winded story about refrigerator pickles. Jeez. it's cucumbers and sweet onion in jar covered with some cider vinegar with herbs and spices. I've got the gist of it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, GaT said:

This article explains it better than me, but it happens from parents telling their kids that they are special all the time when in fact, they're just ordinary people. It gives them a sense of being better than everyone else, instead of being like everyone else. I think this is something that is a few generations old, but it's why all the helicopter parents appeared & so many people think that their twitter comments matter to the world.

Good article, but it's about today's kids. The obnoxious, entitled jerks who refuse to wear masks are the mystery here. How did they end up believing the world revolves around them? That they can do as they please, forget the laws or rules. Their age range is mostly 30's to 50's, I think (I'm sorta guessing here). 

• Love 3