Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

When I’m using the self checkout at the grocery store and it keeps saying “please place the item in the bag” when the item is indeed in the bag. Sorry computer voice but it’s not my fault that whoever works the self checkout is too lazy to refill the bags right next to the unit so I don’t have to reach up to the bags next to the candy shelf to pack my items.

Also, no hand scanners to scan my soda so I have to wait for said disinterested employee to scan my soda. Even the store I work at part time where I had to apply and do my onboarding paperwork on pen and paper as if it’s the 90s or early 00s has hand scanners at the self checkout. 

Busman's holiday!  What an irony. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Busman's holiday!  What an irony. 

I had to look up what this meant but yes it gave me a laugh once I learned what it means. I do like self checkout (unpopular opinion) because then I can get out quicker and am less likely to get stuck behind someone with a $300 cart filled to the top or someone arguing semantics with their coupons or the person who doesn’t know their EBT balance and takes forever to decide what to put back…

(I worked eight-hour shifts both yesterday and Sunday so I’m relieved I can decompress tonight.) 

• Like 6

I miss the days when all that was on my FB feed were things my friends or I had posted.  Today it's hit a new low, I am being inundated with links to groups and pages concerning the Confederacy (and why it was so wonderful).  I used to think FB had algorithms they used to try and match users with things they might have some interest in but apparently this isn't the case anymore.  So close to pulling the FB plug once and for all.

• Mind Blown 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Returning to the subject of defective soap pumps:  I just got a new Mrs. Meyer's bottle that didn't work, but I was able to use the pump from a recently emptied bottle without having to decant the whole thing. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Ugh.  Did groceries on Thursday but needed to run into the store this morning for a few things.  That's not the peeve.  The peeve is I grabbed a head of lettuce, got home and realized there are two more in the fridge.  One looks like it's on its last legs so yay get to toss out $2.99.  Now to see if we can manage to eat the rest of the lettuce before the compost gets it.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

When you eat or swallow something that goes down the wrong way.  Totally hate that.

Today I hurt my back I was coughing so hard from drinking coffee that went down the wrong windpipe or something.  

And the thing is more often than not I know it just happened when something goes down the wrong way.  And it’s just like shit okay here we go 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

Ugh.  Did groceries on Thursday but needed to run into the store this morning for a few things.  That's not the peeve.  The peeve is I grabbed a head of lettuce, got home and realized there are two more in the fridge.  One looks like it's on its last legs so yay get to toss out $2.99.  Now to see if we can manage to eat the rest of the lettuce before the compost gets it.

If it makes you feel better, I recently bought what I ASSUMED what a half-gallon of Mayfield reduced fat milk... turns out it was reduced fat buttermilk.* It was a yellow half-gallon, so genius that I am, I didn't even bother with a cursory glance at the damn label. Mr. Fitch found a use for it, but I felt like such a dumbass.

*Ever put buttermilk in your coffee? Yeah, I don't recommend it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

If it makes you feel better, I recently bought what I ASSUMED what a half-gallon of Mayfield reduced fat milk... turns out it was reduced fat buttermilk.* It was a yellow half-gallon, so genius that I am, I didn't even bother with a cursory glance at the damn label. Mr. Fitch found a use for it, but I felt like such a dumbass.

*Ever put buttermilk in your coffee? Yeah, I don't recommend it.

You could make a ranch dressing using buttermilk, or scones. Good thing Mr. Fitch found a use for it, though. Don't wanna think about buttermilk in coffee 😖.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You could make a ranch dressing using buttermilk, or scones. Good thing Mr. Fitch found a use for it, though. Don't wanna think about buttermilk in coffee 😖.

Please don't. It's as gross as it sounds.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

With being able to pay bills, open bank accounts, etc. online, wouldn't one think a cake could be ordered online from Costco?  No, in 102 degree weather my daughter had to drive to Costco to order a cake for Tuesday.  They say you can do it by phone - if only someone answered the phone.

Edited by Absolom
  • Angry 6
(edited)

Customers who send an excessive amount of follow up emails. Especially after you give them a timeline.

I told one person last week when we’d be able to review his request (it was tied to a specific date that hasn’t yet arrived). He emailed back and asked if there was anything else he needed to do. Then he emailed again last night to say “just following up!”

First of all, no one is monitoring the inbox you’re emailing on Sunday night. Second, you were already told when specifically we can work on your request. That date is not here. Yes, there is something you can do. Be patient, stop sending emails and don’t expect a response outside of business hours. I’m also dealing with another customer who cites “anxiety” as the reason she keeps following up. Your constant calling and emailing is not going to make this move any faster especially after we have apologized for delays, told you we appreciated your patience and will be in touch once we have answers. And in the meantime you need to manage your anxiety and emotions. It’s not my problem. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Useful 2

Peeve: People who don't clean up after themselves at work. Specifically related to the coffee station in our breakroom. Almost every morning I go to make a coffee someone has used sugar or sugar substitute and spilled the contents all over the bottom tray and the counter but can't be bothered to wipe it up. Just rude.

• Angry 3
14 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

Peeve: People who don't clean up after themselves at work. Specifically related to the coffee station in our breakroom. Almost every morning I go to make a coffee someone has used sugar or sugar substitute and spilled the contents all over the bottom tray and the counter but can't be bothered to wipe it up. Just rude.

Same situation at my workplace. I'm an incurable slob for the most part, but even I can pick up my trash and toss it! 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
(edited)

Pop up ad on this site that keeps, well, popping up - and says "Seniors born between 1944 and 1983 could get this benefit".  1983???  Senior???  Ok, deep cleansing breaths...

Edited by Dimity
  • LOL 11
32 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Pop up ad on this site that keeps, well, popping up - and says "Seniors born between 1944 and 1983 could get this benefit".  1983???  Senior???  Ok, deep cleansing breaths...

My category would not even exist. Good grief! 👵 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Dimity said:

I've seen those too.  I suppose for those of us of who are of the female persuasion, anyway, the only requirement is at least one symptom of perimenopause.  

• Like 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Dimity said:

The AARP started in with their spam, when I turned 35. 

I’m in my late forties, and started seeing ads for not just senior homes, but making plans for my ultimate resting place, in the past year or two. Another reason to avoid facebook.  

speaking of which: I visited FB a little while ago, and got a pop up stating they’d removed something as spam, something posted to receive likes… I don’t post for likes, but not only have I not posted any spam (they didn’t show me what they’d removed), but their entire fucking site revolves around likes, shares, and spamming reels that I do not want to see. 

Edited by Anela
  • Angry 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Anela said:

I visited FB a little while ago, and got a pop up stating they’d removed something as spam, something posted to receive likes… I don’t post for likes, but not only have I not posted any spam (they didn’t show me what they’d removed), but their entire fucking site revolves around likes, shares, and spamming reels that I do not want to see. 

I haven't had that happen to me but what I've had happen is I've reported a few posts (not from friends just the random crap that is now clogging my FB feed) and these were all disgusting posts that were misogynist and violent in tone.  Well FB disagrees, I got notes back telling me these posts met their "community standards".   Ugh. 

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 4
21 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I haven't had that happen to me but what I've had happen is I've reported a few posts (not from friends just the random crap that is now clogging my FB feed) and these were all disgusting posts that were misogynist and violent in tone.  Well FB disagrees, I got notes back telling me these posts met their "community standards".   Ugh. 

Yeah, I’ve had that happen before, too.  On Facebook and twitter. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
15 hours ago, Dimity said:

I once reported a post for posting that someone was a "filthy N." It didn't violate the "community standards" bc it didn't explicitly spell out the slur. Ugh.

• Angry 2

I once made a comment on Instagram on a picture where the guy was wearing a Les Miserables shirt.  All I said was "Les Miserables!" and for some reason it violated community standards (how?  That's the name of the show!).  I had to change it to Les Miz.  

• Mind Blown 4

In a related peeve - I don't care what you are promoting, if your post or that meme of yours that you hope will go viral includes spelling mistakes like 'garontee' for 'guarantee' than I 'garontee' I will delete your post and label (or as you would probably say 'labil') you an idiot.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

I once made a comment on Instagram on a picture where the guy was wearing a Les Miserables shirt.  All I said was "Les Miserables!" and for some reason it violated community standards (how?  That's the name of the show!).  I had to change it to Les Miz.  

I was posting a comment at AOL News and wanted to use the word, butt. Because I had a funny feeling my post would be rejected, I used the French version, derriere. Rejected for violating community standards! 🙄 They said I could explain why my post shouldn't have been rejected, which I did. Never got a response. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
14 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Sorry if this insults anyone but sometimes these where were you on 9/11 conversations can get annoying.  

Most people I just find wax poetic about where they were in life at that point vs expressing sorrow and disgust 

I swore I wouldn’t cry yesterday, but my office is two blocks from ground zero. So many uniformed officers and firefighters were walking around for the memorial I just couldn’t help it as I was coming in. 

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 8
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I swore I wouldn’t cry yesterday, but my office is two blocks from ground zero. So many uniformed officers and firefighters were walking around for the memorial I just couldn’t help it as I was coming in. 

That would've affected me too. I watched the 60 Minutes 9/11 special on Sunday night. Many of the scenes I'd already seen years ago. But it still made me teary-eyed.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Same. While not in New York, I worked in an office that was right across the street from the White House. I remember that day so vividly. And had decided to drive that day instead of taking the metro. So in all the panic to leave, was stuck in the parking garage as Peter Jennings announced the fall of the second tower.

Normally, it's a 30 minute commute by car-that day? It took me seven hours. We didn't even hear the crash at the Pentagon.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 5

I realize this is a low-stakes peeve, but I hate that Taylor Swift released "Fortnight" as her lead-off single in Torture Poets Department. It's actually the worst track from her album.  Very blah song that doesn't hold a candle to some of her other tracks, yet people associate that song with TTPD.

I need to vent for a moment about air travel.

I hate flying. Always have. It’s a combination of fear, lack of control and a tendency toward motion sickness. I can’t read on a plane, so basically I just have to sit there for however long, staring at the seat in front of me. But I do it because I love to travel.

When we book flights, I have a couple of rules: no less than 1 hour between connecting flights (our dinky airport doesn’t have a lot of nonstops) and never on the last flight of the day. We book for our first big trip in years and what does American do a couple of weeks out? Changes our flights so we have 50 minutes at O’Hare and the return flight is the last of the day. Hubby called, but they said they couldn’t change it to the flights we originally booked. Canceled maybe?

Flight to Boston was fine on the front end. Coming home, we left Logan on time, landed at O’Hare on time and… we wait. Apparently it was a busy day in Chicago and we alternately sat and taxied on the runway for 45 minutes.

We weren’t the only ones trying to make a connection and there was zero communication from the cockpit. Finally someone went back and spoke to the flight attendants, who must have said something because after that, the pilot told us what was going on.

When we were finally cleared for a gate, the pilot and flight attendants both asked that anyone staying in Chicago or making a later connection please stay seated. The back half of the plane? Awesome. They say there and offered us words of encouragement. The front half? All but three people got up, got their bags and deplaned. No way will I believe that many people had a tight connection. By this time, it was certainly too late for us, but I wonder how many others were slowed down.

Hubby and I flat-out ran and, yep. Plane was gone. Last one of the day. We went to customer service and an incredibly sullen worker who seemed annoyed to be taken away from her phone booked us on a flight the next morning. Naturally, since it wasn’t the airline’s fault, we were on the hook for the night’s lodging. Fortunately, the extra expense wasn’t a huge deal.

Given the number of people from our flight who were in line as we finished up, this was an issue for a lot of people.

To recap:

1) Annoyed with the airline for changing our perfect flight to a difficult one.

2) Airport for traffic problems.

3) Fellow passengers for ignoring pleas to let connecting passengers off first.

4) Customer service reps who do their job, but in a disinterested, rude way.

At least our bags made it with us. And I’ve heard horror stories, so I know it could have been worse.

• Hugs 8
  • Angry 2

I was in class when a girl (who wasn't in the class) rushed in and said that a plane crashed into the WTC.  The prof wasn't there yet (he's known to be late...for EVERYTHING, including securing the licence to put together a course kit from several resources).  I returned to my dorm only to find a voice message from my mom telling me that my dad was fine (his office was close to the WTC) and that she hadn't heard from my cousin(she's fine and now a mom to three girls).  That led to me developing a fear of flying long distances for more than a year (I was set to go off to Switzerland to a finishing school the following summer (yes, a FINISHING SCHOOL.  I had requested that) but ended up dropping the idea).  I was okay going to New York (of all places) or Montreal, but not anything more than two or three hours in the air.  

• Hugs 7

I have to fly later this year, and figuring out which flight was actually doable was a chore. For reasons only known to American Airlines, they kept on pushing for a 30 minute layover in Charlotte no matter which airport I was departing. I know the RDU-CLT leg does normally take less time than what is advertised, but I am not willing to risk it especially when it never fails that the two gates I need in Charlotte are in different terminals. There were multiple later flights from Charlotte to my destination, but the AA website and all other 3rd parties made me work to find that later flight with a longer layover. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I will never forget that day.  One memory that stays with me is one my sister shared - her children went to school near an air force base and on the day this happened military parents who were getting rapidly deployed in response came to the school to say good bye to their children.  

Point was we were dealing with a total unknown and bad though what happened was (and it was horrifically bad) we all, at that point, had no idea about what might come next.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have to fly later this year, and figuring out which flight was actually doable was a chore. For reasons only known to American Airlines, they kept on pushing for a 30 minute layover in Charlotte no matter which airport I was departing. I know the RDU-CLT leg does normally take less time than what is advertised, but I am not willing to risk it especially when it never fails that the two gates I need in Charlotte are in different terminals. There were multiple later flights from Charlotte to my destination, but the AA website and all other 3rd parties made me work to find that later flight with a longer layover. 

We’ve always had a hard time with Charlotte. Every time I fly through there, it takes forever to taxi and deplane, so I always shoot for an extra long layover.

The other day I was looking at international flights and every option gave us 2 hours or less on the return. No way will I agree to that. Not when we have to deal with customs. My sister and BIL ended up stuck in Atlanta a month ago due to that very problem.

• Angry 1

I could fly to Charlotte and have a connection there, but I am close enough that I choose to drive to Charlotte (and drive home after a trip!) rather than risk missing a connection. 

For my trip to Panama, I booked flights that had a 2.5 hour layover in Miami -- plenty of time, I thought, to get through customs and go back through security and all that drama.  And it would have been, except the flight left Panama City over an hour late, and the runways at MIA are ridiculously far from the terminals, so you have to taxi forever.  Three things worked in my favor that night:  I did not check a bag, I have Global Entry, and they held my flight 10 minutes.  I got to the gate with four minutes to spare, and the adrenaline from all that kept me wide awake until I was almost home (it's about a three hour drive home from Charlotte).  The flight attendant tried to keep people with longer connections in their seats, but everyone popped up as soon as they could. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AgathaC said:

sat and taxied on the runway for 45 minutes

This past March Mr. Kittydad and I were booked on a flight to Florida with a stop in Atlanta. Of course being in upstate NY you can never predict the weather in March and sure enough, we get a freak snowstorm that morning. Our flight was due to leave at 6am, but did not depart until 7am. 

When we were finally cleared for a gate, the pilot and flight attendants both asked that anyone staying in Chicago or making a later connection please stay seated

We originally had an hour and a half layover in Atlanta, which would have given us plenty of time to get to our next gate, but yep, now we only had about 30 mins - and anyone who has flown through Atlanta knows that's not enough - I was hoping the flight attendants would make this announcement on our plane but we got crickets. 

Hubby and I flat-out ran

Mr. Kittydad and I and 2 other passengers were running to the train, then to the gate with seconds to spare, thankfully we made it, but we were so annoyed that there was no consideration. It wasn't our fault the flight was delayed, it's like the airlines just sign off on any responsibility once you're booked. 

And this is why I no longer enjoy air travel. It's a mess of airline greed and passenger rudeness. Which brings me to the other thing that happened on this trip. So like I said we boarded the 2nd flight with seconds to spare, we had the window and middle seat, the gentleman on the aisle was already seated and got pissy with us when he had to get up. Then, once we were in the air and the seat belt sign was off, I needed to use the restroom so I let him know I would need to get out. He didn't move, other than to push up his tray, I literally had to lift my leg over his legs to get out. My husband decided to hold it until we landed in Daytona. Jerk.

• Angry 6
6 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

This past March Mr. Kittydad and I were booked on a flight to Florida with a stop in Atlanta. Of course being in upstate NY you can never predict the weather in March and sure enough, we get a freak snowstorm that morning. Our flight was due to leave at 6am, but did not depart until 7am. 

We originally had an hour and a half layover in Atlanta, which would have given us plenty of time to get to our next gate, but yep, now we only had about 30 mins - and anyone who has flown through Atlanta knows that's not enough - I was hoping the flight attendants would make this announcement on our plane but we got crickets. 

Mr. Kittydad and I and 2 other passengers were running to the train, then to the gate with seconds to spare, thankfully we made it, but we were so annoyed that there was no consideration. It wasn't our fault the flight was delayed, it's like the airlines just sign off on any responsibility once you're booked. 

And this is why I no longer enjoy air travel. It's a mess of airline greed and passenger rudeness. Which brings me to the other thing that happened on this trip. So like I said we boarded the 2nd flight with seconds to spare, we had the window and middle seat, the gentleman on the aisle was already seated and got pissy with us when he had to get up. Then, once we were in the air and the seat belt sign was off, I needed to use the restroom so I let him know I would need to get out. He didn't move, other than to push up his tray, I literally had to lift my leg over his legs to get out. My husband decided to hold it until we landed in Daytona. Jerk.

There were some truly awesome people on our flight — people who were calling out words of encouragement: “go! Go!” “You can make it!” “Good luck!” And the. There are the jerks. We were in parts of New England and Canada and met truly friendly, warm, polite people. Then air travel ruins it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I could fly to Charlotte and have a connection there, but I am close enough that I choose to drive to Charlotte (and drive home after a trip!) rather than risk missing a connection. 

I went through all permutations to figure out the best flight for this trip and one option was driving the 4.5 hours to Charlotte to take the direct flight. My little brother who is also going on this trip lives there and has a second bedroom in his apartment. I ended up booking with a newer airline that has a direct flight from Raleigh to my final destination and also does not charge an arm and a leg in fees. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Every 9/11 I watch this video narrated by Tom Hanks

Boatlift-An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience

It annoys me how many people don't know about that, or at least the scope of it.  So many mariners, with so many different kinds of boats, answered the Coast Guard's call for help that half a million people were evacuated over just nine hours. 

Here are a couple of other short features about it:

• Like 3
  • Useful 8

Thank you @Bastet

I admit I am one who had never heard of the marine rescues. But I do remember that day clearly (and I live in Canada) 

I had left for work before the first plane struck and upon arriving at the office the manager was sitting at the reception desk and informed me the Pentagon had just been hit as well as informing me of other things that had happened while I was on public transit. Not much work was done in the office that day - we were clued to the TVs. Internet was spotty. And lunch was ordered in (sandwiches) But I did talk with someone who became a future client. There was a real fear that we would be attacked next. Going home that evening, on the subway platform I heard someone remark, think of all the pets that are not going to have their owners return.

That evening I had to go to a church meeting. I remember thinking while driving how could people in those office buildings survive? Details were still very limited. When I got home, I remember tuning in to Peter Jennings and his campfire chat (as I recall he called it) in an effort to calm us all.

Like @chitowngirl I have a 9/11 tradition - it is to watch the documentary done by two French film makers which focuses on a fire department located close to the twin towers. 

My brush with 9/11 was on the far edge. I was almost stranded in a Florida airport (as planes kept landing with passengers). Thank God a Hertz employee saw me in the parking lot (starting to unload my luggage) & told me to hang into my rental car. It was a long, scary drive up an almost empty I-95 to the DC area. This week the sky has mostly been cloud free. I always refer to these blue sky days as "a 9/11 day").

• Like 1

I was at work and my future husband was home and called me and said a plane flew into the WTC. I remember asking him on purpose? because how else would that happen.  He said he didn't know.  He called me back and said another plane flew into the other tower and then like everyone else I knew we were under attack.  Then he called and told me about the Pentagon and then finally Flight 93.  This was before smart phones and I didn't have a computer in my office so I went to lunch at the closest place with a TV which was a hoagie shop down the street.  The images looked like a war zone.  I went back to work and everyone was asking me what it looked like and I told them it looks like we are at war.  On the drive home there was like no traffic.  Found out later Flight 93 flew over my area once the hijackers took control and headed back towards DC. Shanksville is a little over a 100 miles from where I live.

Earlier this year I read book, who's name escapes me, about the flights that were diverted to this little town in Canada and how the passengers and crew had to stay there for a little while.  It was such a good book and showed the compassion of people in an incredibly difficult and unsure time.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 3
Just now, bluegirl147 said:

I was at work and my future husband was home and called me and said a plane flew into the WTC. I remember asking him on purpose? because how else would that happen.  He said he didn't know.  He called me back and said another plane flew into the other tower and then like everyone else I knew we were under attack.  Then he called and told me about the Pentagon and then finally Flight 93.  This was before smart phones and I didn't have a computer in my office so I went to lunch at the closest place with a TV which was a hoagie shop down the street.  The images looked like a war zone.  I went back to work and everyone was asking me what it looked like and I told them it looks like we are at war.  On the drive home there was like no traffic.  Found out later Flight 93 flew over my area once the hijackers took control and headed back towards DC. Shanksville is a little over a 100 miles from where I live.

Earlier this year I read book, who's name escapes, about the flights that were diverted to this little town in Canada and how the passengers and crew had to stay there for a little while.  It was such a good book and showed the compassion of people in an incredibly difficult and unsure time.

The Canadian story was turned into a truly wonderful musical called Come From Away. The cast recording is out there and they recorded a performance that’s on Apple TV+. I highly recommend it.

A cousin of mine was on one of the higher floors of the South Tower that morning. (She lived in NC but worked for Bank of America and was there for a meeting.) She wrote a detailed description of her experience that made its way around the family. And she still has her visitor’s badge from that day.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Earlier this year I read book, who's name escapes me, about the flights that were diverted to this little town in Canada and how the passengers and crew had to stay there for a little while.  It was such a good book and showed the compassion of people in an incredibly difficult and unsure time.

My paternal side of the family is from Newfoundland and what happened there is totally what I would expect.  No one came into my grandmother's house and left hungry.   Scholarships were set up for local high school students by some of the stranded passengers in appreciation for the way the locals welcomed them and took care of them.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, Dimity said:

My paternal side of the family is from Newfoundland and what happened there is totally what I would expect.  No one came into my grandmother's house and left hungry.   Scholarships were set up for local high school students by some of the stranded passengers in appreciation for the way the locals welcomed them and took care of them.

Gander? Was that the name of the airport or town? What wonderful people to help so many upset folks. Thanks again to our good neighbors in Canada ❤️  I hope Come From Away returns to DC.

• Like 3