Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

On 6/25/2024 at 7:31 AM, PRgal said:

Regarding vegan burgers at restaurants:  I wish they WOULDN'T offer Impossible/Beyond burgers!  They're gross and chocked full of sodium.  I know Beyond is trying to do a better/healthier version that doesn't have as much sodium and additives, but can't they just use black beans and quinoa or something?

Considering that most vegans I know are being vegans to be more healthy, I can't imagine anything more unhealthy than this fake meat stuff - there is no actual food in there, its all chemicals and salt. When I was a vegetarian back in the 1970s we had delicious fake burgers made of lentils or nuts or something...what happened to those? Now I practice moderation in all things but salt - the first thing I check out on any food label is the sodium content, and the second is the sugar content. Everything else is much less important to eliminate if you really want to eat healthy (unless, of course, you are allergic to something...) 😺

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Considering that most vegans I know are being vegans to be more healthy, I can't imagine anything more unhealthy than this fake meat stuff - there is no actual food in there, its all chemicals and salt. When I was a vegetarian back in the 1970s we had delicious fake burgers made of lentils or nuts or something...what happened to those? Now I practice moderation in all things but salt - the first thing I check out on any food label is the sodium content, and the second is the sugar content. Everything else is much less important to eliminate if you really want to eat healthy (unless, of course, you are allergic to something...) 😺

And I don't think it's all that expensive to make real vegetarian burgers out of beans and quinoa or oats (so things can stay gluten-free).  I get not using nuts, due to allergies.   I guess some people just want the vegan burger that still has the meat taste?  I don't know.  

• Like 2
(edited)

Considering that most vegans I know are being vegans to be more healthy, I can't imagine anything more unhealthy than this fake meat stuff - there is no actual food in there, its all chemicals and salt. When I was a vegetarian back in the 1970s we had delicious fake burgers made of lentils or nuts or something...what happened to those? 

Lots of things on restaurant menus are chemicals and salt and otherwise unhealthy (eg, french fries are one of the unhealthier things that people can eat, and soda is terrible for everyone). And such burgers still exist. They just don't taste like an actual burger. The onset of Beyond, Impossible, and Gardein didn't eliminate the others.

And I don't think it's all that expensive to make real vegetarian burgers out of beans and quinoa or oats (so things can stay gluten-free).  I get not using nuts, due to allergies.   I guess some people just want the vegan burger that still has the meat taste?  I don't know. 

Yes! It's really that simple. I don't know why it's assumed that we're misled. I didn't think Wendy's was healthy when I ate meat and I don't think these nonmeat burgers are either. But I eat them for the same reason.

Not all of us are vegan for health (I'm not -- at least not for my own health). That said, I get bloodwork done every 3 months and I have 0 sodium or cholesterol issues.

I confess, I am confused by other people's confusion over this (or the desire of nonvegans to limit vegans' menu options; I thought we were the ones with the "preachy" reputation, haha!). Just as there are omnivores who eat consistently horribly and omnivores who eat consistently well and omnivores who mix it up for various reasons, there are vegans who do the same (same goes for "fake" vegan foods; some are junk, some are not).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I tried to eat some fake Italian Sausages once.

They were like so gross, I threw them out after a few bites of one.

I just wasn’t feeling that.

I tried a veggie burger as well and didn’t like it either.

My issue was I just thought they both tasted bad.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I confess, I am confused by other people's confusion over this (or the desire of nonvegans to limit vegans' menu options; I thought we were the ones with the "preachy" reputation, haha!). Just as there are omnivores who eat consistently horribly and omnivores who eat consistently well and omnivores who mix it up for various reasons, there are vegans who do the same (same goes for "fake" vegan foods; some are junk, some are not).

ITA.  I don't understand being judged for eating faux meat products.  Whether the Impossible burger is healthy to eat is beside the point to me.  I don't think Burger King is offering much of anything that would qualify as health food.

I am not a vegetarian for health reasons  and I am not going to preach at anybody for their meat diet and would ask the same consideration of my diet choices. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I agree! But just to clarify, I don’t feel judged by anyone here. But it does kind of feel like veganism might be viewed as a really specific and regimented lifestyle (and it may be, for some) as opposed to just food choices like everyone makes in some way or another.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4

I'm craving pizza now. I don't enjoy it much anymore, but I had a good one from Dominos, around Memorial Day. It might be because I've been dragging all day, and I still think of it as an easy dinner. But I can't afford one tonight. 

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm craving pizza now. I don't enjoy it much anymore, but I had a good one from Dominos, around Memorial Day. It might be because I've been dragging all day, and I still think of it as an easy dinner. But I can't afford one tonight. 

Have you ever made an easy homemade pizza?  I've baked one in a cast iron skillet using a flour tortilla, good jarred marinara, Italian seasoning & garlic powder + fresh mozzarella. They call it Skillet Pan Pizza. There's a recipe for it online somewhere 🍕

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
23 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Another example is when I (or anyone, really) goes to a fair or a concert or down the shore* and eat "garbage" -- or at least probably less well than you might at home. 

I call it carnival food.  And I am not a fan.  However I do love hot dogs practically anywhere that is not my house.  Same with mashed potatoes. They always taste better out somewhere.

22 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I seem to have a superpower of having gas prices go up a bit when I need to fill up.

They always go up after I drive by and tell myself oh I will wait till I'm on my way home.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

They always go up after I drive by and tell myself oh I will wait till I'm on my way home.

We live in a small town near a big city and it's an annoying guessing game as to which location will have the cheaper price on any given day.  Most of the time it's our small town gas stations - but of course the days we roll the dice and assume that and fill up before heading into the city THAT is the day the city prices are lower.  

• Like 2
(edited)

I don't know about other schools but my 6 yr old granddaughter is in the French language school system in Quebec and they actually have letter grades on her report card.  I've never seen that before (my kids did not go to school in Quebec).  Is this typical elsewhere because I don't like it.  At all.  

Edited by Dimity
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

I don't know about other schools but my 6 yr old granddaughter is in the French language school system in Quebec and they actually have letter grades on her report card.  I've never seen that before (my kids did not go to school in Quebec).  Is this typical elsewhere because I don't like it.  At all.  

It depends on the school.  At my son's school (a Toronto independent school), kindergarten reports are written in paragraph form (so you might see "Johnny is working on expressing himself more confidently and being comfortable that his views differ from his peers." or "He enjoys creativity through art, especially with paint and clay").  Grades don't appear until Grade 1 (along with the usual comments).  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Suzn said:

ITA.  I don't understand being judged for eating faux meat products.  Whether the Impossible burger is healthy to eat is beside the point to me.  I don't think Burger King is offering much of anything that would qualify as health food.

I am not a vegetarian for health reasons  and I am not going to preach at anybody for their meat diet and would ask the same consideration of my diet choices. 

I went back over the thread and I didn't notice anyone preaching at anyone about their diet choices, just someone pointing out that if someone wants to eat healthier and more environmentally conscious there are healthier non-meat choices out there than "impossible" meat that they wish they would move toward. I didn't think that judged anyone for eating it or called for limiting their choices, though.  It seemed to allow for people that aren't particularly concerned about how healthy/unhealthy it is and may eat it on "cheat days" or whatever works for them just like meat eaters do. I myself was judging the companies that put forth an image of impossible meat as a "health food" and profit from people eating it because they mistakenly think it's healthier.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I went back over the thread and I didn't notice anyone preaching at anyone about their diet choices, just someone pointing out that if someone wants to eat healthier and more environmentally conscious there are healthier non-meat choices out there than "impossible" meat that they wish they would move toward. I didn't think that judged anyone for eating it or called for limiting their choices, though.  It seemed to allow for people that aren't particularly concerned about how healthy/unhealthy it is and may eat it on "cheat days" or whatever works for them just like meat eaters do. I myself was judging the companies that put forth an image of impossible meat as a "health food" and profit from people eating it because they mistakenly think it's healthier.

Same here.  But I find that the anti-diet bunch can go a bit far when it comes to people’s personal opinion on food. 

On 6/25/2024 at 9:31 AM, PRgal said:

Regarding vegan burgers at restaurants:  I wish they WOULDN'T offer Impossible/Beyond burgers!  They're gross and chocked full of sodium.  I know Beyond is trying to do a better/healthier version that doesn't have as much sodium and additives, but can't they just use black beans and quinoa or something?

This is what I was referring to as far as suggesting that Impossible burgers were not offered.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I just wish there were more choices out there for people like me who want and need to limit their sugar/salt/fat intake. If having more of that stuff available encouraged other people to eat healthier all the better, but it's not because I want to force anyone to do it.

And we circle back to a pet peeve of mine, which is not fixable: the best choices for people like me (and you) who want to eat healthy is to buy fresh food (nothing in a package) and start from scratch. So when you are in the market, its called "perimeter shopping" - everything you want (and there are lots of choices!) is out on the outside fringe in the produce, meat and dairy area (I don't limit fat - won't get into that debate here but its not an issue for me) and nothing that is on the shelves on the aisles. It means taking a significant more time to prepare and serve a meal, and for a single person like myself, its often a real PITA, but there it is. And when I am eating out, fast food is rarely an option and many restaurants (like Olive Garden for example) have nothing at all I will eat.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Same here.  But I find that the anti-diet bunch can go a bit far when it comes to people’s personal opinion on food. 

Who's going "a bit far"? And who (and what) is anti-diet? 

Haha, look man, I just wanted some nondairy cheese to put (correction, for the cook to put) on my nonmeat burgers on the occasions that I decide to eat them at restaurants (that serve a menu full of equally unhealthy things that I, unlike the omnivore customers, can't order).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, isalicat said:

And we circle back to a pet peeve of mine, which is not fixable: the best choices for people like me (and you) who want to eat healthy is to buy fresh food (nothing in a package) and start from scratch. So when you are in the market, its called "perimeter shopping" - everything you want (and there are lots of choices!) is out on the outside fringe in the produce, meat and dairy area (I don't limit fat - won't get into that debate here but its not an issue for me) and nothing that is on the shelves on the aisles. It means taking a significant more time to prepare and serve a meal, and for a single person like myself, its often a real PITA, but there it is. And when I am eating out, fast food is rarely an option and many restaurants (like Olive Garden for example) have nothing at all I will eat.

Perimeter is ideal, but frozen produce is perfectly fine, IMHO.  I live on that stuff - easier for me if I just want extra vegetables for my son and me while my husband gets the "minimal."  He eats more like a child than our son!  It's not like he grew up in a family who couldn't afford groceries.  It was a choice his parents made.  And both of them had/have serious health issues.

@TattleTeeny No one is saying one shouldn't eat fun foods.  It's just that many of us want less processed vegan burgers with less sodium.  Especially those of us who eat out regularly.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I had to change my emoji to the applause because this is exactly my "beef" (LOL) with this issue! I am so tired of having to shop, prepare and cook these healthier meals myself because it's harder to find prepared foods that meet my standards for healthiness. For me it means going to the supermarket almost every day, which is a huge PITA all by itself, not to mention all the prep vegetables need, and how expensive they are, etc. I was just bitching about how as I get older I don't have the energy to do all that I did when I was younger and now I am finding myself adding on all these responsibilities in an attempt to stay healthy like the above and doing all that walking almost every day that I do. Recently my doctor told me to apply a certain skin cream for my eczema twice a day and I told her I need a "to do" list to remind me of all the things like that I have to do anymore. It gets ridiculous after a while. My parents used to say there's a reason we have to retire to keep up with all this additional crap, LOL.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Perimeter is ideal, but frozen produce is perfectly fine, IMHO.  I live on that stuff - easier for me if I just want extra vegetables for my son and me while my husband gets the "minimal."  He eats more like a child than our son!  It's not like he grew up in a family who couldn't afford groceries.  It was a choice his parents made.  And both of them had/have serious health issues.

@TattleTeeny No one is saying one shouldn't eat fun foods.  It's just that many of us want less processed vegan burgers with less sodium.  Especially those of us who eat out regularly.

I like the term "fun foods"!

(edited)

Here is a different (and possibly really weird) peeve: I hate when people crumple up paper napkins into really tight balls. For some stupid reason, it just grosses me the hell out. Same thing with straw wrappers. I don’t feel mad at the people who do it or anything, but I cringe at the sight of it. I wonder if there’s some kind of name for this!

Edited by TattleTeeny
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Here is a different (and possibly really weird) peeve: I hate when people crumple up paper napkins into really tight balls. For some stupid reason, it just grosses me the hell out. Same thing with straw wrappers. I don’t feel mad at the people who do it or anything, but I cringe at the sight of it. I wonder if there’s some kind of name for this!

Just curious, did you have an annoying little brother? Who blew his straw wrappers at you when you were just trying to enjoy your Big Boy cheeseburger?

But seriously if there’s a name for that I’d like to add it to my trivia knowledge!

• LOL 2

No, but now that you mention it, I feel like I have had this issue since I was little! I don’t like thinking about it even just enough to explain it here, haha! 

• Like 1
On 6/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, Yeah No said:

BTW, a little known fact I just found out is that 95% or higher lean beef burger meat is actually healthier and lower in fat and cholesterol than skinned chicken breast.

The cheese pizza at Costco has more calories than the pepperoni pizza.  At Potbelly, the apple walnut salad has more calories than anything else on the menu.

There are a lot of surprises when you read the nutrition information, which I do because I don't have a smart phone to scroll around on while I'm waiting for my order.

Since the forums might be disappearing into the ether and I'm anonymous anyway, here's a list of what I've eaten for the last week or so.  I generally eat once a day, usually mid-afternoon.  I get mayo on all hamburgers and sandwiches, white bun or bread, and drink water or nothing at all unless otherwise indicated.  I don't really snack, but if I'm bored or maybe actually hungry at night, I'll have a fistful of mixed nuts or maybe a yogurt or a bowl of cereal.  It's rare that I eat two meals in a day.

Thursday: Smashburger cheeseburger and smash tots.  (The only time I ever order cheese on a burger is if it's included in the price AND I can substitute cheddar cheese. That usually happens only at Smashburger or brew pubs.)

Wednesday: Snarf's (local sandwich shop) prime rib sandwich with provolone, potato chips. Later at home, a bowl of leftover iceberg salad from a week ago with Newk's honey mustard dressing, and then six Keebler chocolate chip cookies dunked in milk (and I don't even like store-bought cookies!).

Tuesday: Two bananas while on my way to a movie followed by an exercise class (although I typically don't eat anything before exercising).  Jimmy John roast beef and provolone, potato chips, Coke. 

Monday:  Culver's hamburger, fries, about 48 ounces of sweet tea. 

Sunday:  At home: two fried eggs and two pieces of buttered white toast, glass of milk. Later, Noodles and Company half steak stoganoff and half alfredo montamore (Mr. Outlier and I each eat half because we can't decide which one we like more).

Saturday:  Potbelly roast beef and provolone sandwich, potato chips, Coke. (I prefer the apple walnut salad but it was buy-one-get-one-free sandwiches.)  Later, probably three or four ounces of leftover steak, mainly the fat.

Friday:  Five Guys little hamburger, fries. 

Thursday:  At home(!):  Ribeye steak, half a baked potato, bagged "garden" salad, glass of milk.

Wednesday:  Popeye's fried chicken (leg and thigh and some tenders), a little bit of Coke and 38 ounces of sweet tea to go (Popeye's changed their large cup from 44 ounces to 38 ounces and I bet I'm the only one who's noticed, never mind actually measured it).  Probably cereal later, because that's usually not enough food for an entire day.

Tuesday:  Panda Express 3-entree plate split with Mr. Outlier, Coke to drink.

I should be dead, right?  And Mr. Outlier even deader because in the morning he has either Pop Tarts or a breakfast burrito, and his burgers and sandwiches always have cheese and bacon if available.  And he snacks a lot (like chips and salsa and Mountain Dew, and declares it healthy when he mashes an avocado to go with it).

Yet we both are normal weight and have no health problems.  It's the damnedest thing.  I can think of no explanation other than genes, but genes never get accounted for in any recommendations.  Understandable, because recommendations have to be broad enough to apply to all people.  Only they don't necessarily apply to all people.  By all accounts we should at least be obese and diabetic, but we're not.  Then again, I'm not sure I want to cut myself open and look inside.  😀

I've decided to follow the advice I got from a park ranger.  A couple of years ago we were in the Everglades and parked the motorhome on the big road and rode our bikes into the national park to ride the Shark Valley Loop among the alligators.  At the entrance booth I handed the ranger my senior pass.  He awkwardly informed me that the pass can be used only by the person whose pass it is, and I said, "That's me."  He looked at my driver's license and after a second waved us through and said, "Keep doing what you're doing."  Good plan!  I'll keep on having the parents I was given. 

• Like 8
On 6/27/2024 at 11:27 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I call it carnival food.  And I am not a fan.

I'm a sucker for grilled onions and peppers on a piece of sausage while I walk the fairgrounds. I want my unhealthy fair food.

My peeve is how much sodium is in prepared food. I buy low sodium if I can, and make my own with a lot lower salt. I swear it about gags me at times when I go out to eat with friends. So much salt in food.

• Like 5
On 6/27/2024 at 4:38 PM, PRgal said:

Perimeter is ideal, but frozen produce is perfectly fine, IMHO.

It's perfectly fine. It's processed closer to the farms, usually. The best is local, but it isn't always practical.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, nokat said:

It's perfectly fine. It's processed closer to the farms, usually. The best is local, but it isn't always practical.

And flash frozen, usually.

Peeve:  people who hyphenate my last name.  I use both my birth/maiden name and married name, but it’s stylized like Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I often have to remind people a million times and even bring up Little House!  My dad thinks people outside of North America might not understand the Little House reference.  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

And flash frozen, usually.

Peeve:  people who hyphenate my last name.  I use both my birth/maiden name and married name, but it’s stylized like Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I often have to remind people a million times and even bring up Little House!  My dad thinks people outside of North America might not understand the Little House reference.  

May I bring up how many people mispronounce my name. I realize it and get to whatever I'm doing. It is pronounced many ways. I was just at an event, and people were trying to correct pronunciation. I think my name is not that difficult.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4

Anela

9 hours ago

Fresh Thyme is now stocking Risewell, and Boka toothpastes. Now, if they'd stock the cari-free toothpaste and mouthwash I was using for a while, that would be good, too. I didn't get a chance to see if they were really helping, because I couldn't order them both, every month. 

I want to be free of Amazon, when I can, and I also just want to be ordering less in general. Amazon card, credit cards, it's all building up too quickly. 

I am also trying to wean myself off of Amazon. They have messed up shipping, no longer automatically refund items on the card that was originally used (store credit instead) and now they have ads during their movies.  The latter is especially bugging me bc I watched shows because they were ad free and they now no longer flow with the interruptions. Especially movies where the cuts can be in the middle of a character’s sentence. Frankly $150 is a lot to pay (for me) as I don’t buy that much in there and don’t make my money back on shipping. I’m thinking of cutting the chord as well. 

@Anela

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Anela

9 hours ago

Fresh Thyme is now stocking Risewell, and Boka toothpastes. Now, if they'd stock the cari-free toothpaste and mouthwash I was using for a while, that would be good, too. I didn't get a chance to see if they were really helping, because I couldn't order them both, every month. 

I want to be free of Amazon, when I can, and I also just want to be ordering less in general. Amazon card, credit cards, it's all building up too quickly. 

I am also trying to wean myself off of Amazon. They have messed up shipping, no longer automatically refund items on the card that was originally used (store credit instead) and now they have ads during their movies.  The latter is especially bugging me bc I watched shows because they were ad free and they now no longer flow with the interruptions. Especially movies where the cuts can be in the middle of a character’s sentence. Frankly $150 is a lot to pay (for me) as I don’t buy that much in there and don’t make my money back on shipping. I’m thinking of cutting the chord as well. 

@Anela

We’ve just switched to the monthly fee, but that’s still too much for what you get now.  I didn’t know they’ve got adverts interrupting movies, too.  I stopped watching anything on prime, unless one ad is shown at the beginning, and then you can watch the whole thing.  

prime also isn’t really a deal on most things.  It seems like they add the shipping into the price, and then tell you you’re getting free shipping. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Anela said:

We’ve just switched to the monthly fee, but that’s still too much for what you get now.  I didn’t know they’ve got adverts interrupting movies, too.  I stopped watching anything on prime, unless one ad is shown at the beginning, and then you can watch the whole thing.  

prime also isn’t really a deal on most things.  It seems like they add the shipping into the price, and then tell you you’re getting free shipping. 

Prime isn't the deal it used to be.

• Like 4

So, I have a membership at the local campground's swimming pool. I pay extra (but not a lot extra) for the platinum membership where you can go in at 9, as opposed to 10 for campers and silver pass holders.  I think there is also a lower one where you can't go in until noon. But, it's all on the honor system, and there were campers there by 9:30 this morning. I don't know the exact time, but I went in at 915 and I don't think I was in any more than 10 or 15 minutes when the family came in. Anyway, I kind of want to complain, not about this morning, that's over an ddone with, but so there's some kind of system. But, I don't wan to be labelled a Karen. That really follows you around. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 4

When Facebook decides to push Facebook memories at me, because they care so much about me.  Like updates I posted for friends and family, when mum was in the hospital.  

And scheduling a peeve in advance : neighbours and fireworks.  My dog will be terrified. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 3

I had one of the weirdest dreams of my life last night.

I wound up all of a sudden working with one of my worst tormentors mom from high school….  And the thing is she happened to be the sweetest lady in my dream.  Then I finally asked her how is Dave to which she just said I don’t want to talk about it.

I do wonder sometimes if crappy kids have crappy parents.  But I remember two kids growing up that were total smartasses with the nicest moms/parents.  

• Useful 1

The tiny use by date on products.  I wanted to use milk, and ended up changing my readers and holding it up to the brightest light.  I finally ended up doing the the look, sniff, and taste test. I didn't gag, so I guess it was okay.

The tiny print on things in general.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

OK, I'm thankful Mama's getting attended to and, hopefully, will soon be treated then discharged but I'm frustrated with how LONG it took them to give this 90-something woman a  hospital room!

Yes, as soon as I brought her to the ER and asked them to get a wheelchair for her, they immediately admitted her but then they put her in a bed in the ER hallway until they had a room ready for her. ..for over TEN HOURS! Thankfully, they did started treating her and even fed her two meals but I kept thinking that this would have been more apt for a disaster in a 3rd world country than the hospital we have here in our US home city.

As I said, she was treated well (and, as usual, charmed the staff)- and never lost her patience.  She's far more patient person than I am ( I have to admit)!  More importantly, her condition HAS improved a great deal since her admission!

This is also a factor in why I likely will always live near if not in a city instead of a rural area with few and distant health care options.

However, I can't help wonder if there is a  better way to do this or are hospitals in US cities stuffed past capacity  with patients?

• Hugs 5
(edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 7:06 AM, nokat said:

I'm a sucker for grilled onions and peppers on a piece of sausage while I walk the fairgrounds. I want my unhealthy fair food.

My peeve is how much sodium is in prepared food. I buy low sodium if I can, and make my own with a lot lower salt. I swear it about gags me at times when I go out to eat with friends. So much salt in food.

I was craving a sausage/onions/peppers sandwich yesterday. Went to the store to buy all the ingredients and made it at home.  and make more later I have plenty of sausage left!

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, nokat said:

The tiny use by date on products.  I wanted to use milk, and ended up changing my readers and holding it up to the brightest light.  I finally ended up doing the the look, sniff, and taste test. I didn't gag, so I guess it was okay.

Take a picture with your phone and then enlarge it

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

Take a picture with your phone and then enlarge it

Thanks, because I'm not the sharpest  tack in the box.

• Like 3

Something is taking up space on my C drive, and I don’t know what it is.  Unless there was a massive update for something. I’ve scanned for malware, deleted photos that didn’t need to be there, and it’s still happening.  

I’ll have to figure it out later.  I need to get out of here.  

2 hours ago, nokat said:

I’m with you on the tiny dates, but generally (and especially for milk) the look-sniff-taste test seems to be the most reliable method. I’ve had milk that went bad way before the best-by date, and milk that was good way longer. But then I’m not one to toss food on the “best by” date if it otherwise seems fine. 

And plus one for the phone magnifier suggestion. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

But then I’m not one to toss food on the “best by” date if it otherwise seems fine.

Good, because too many people treating those dates as "expiration" dates creates an unconscionable amount - over 125 billion pounds (when you combine what retailers toss and then the much larger amount tossed by consumers) - of food waste each year.  It's estimated that nearly 70 percent of what is thrown away is edible.

The only time I check the date is in the store, and mostly only on dairy -- I'll buy the one with the farthest out date.  But once food and drink is in my refrigerator, I no longer pay attention to the date.  Like you said, looking at it, touching it, sniffing it, and tasting it is what tells me if it's still good, not the sell by/best by date.  Recently, I had some half and half that smelled good, but once I tasted it, nope.  But normally my sniffer is accurate.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Good, because too many people treating those dates as "expiration" dates creates an unconscionable amount - over 125 billion pounds (when you combine what retailers toss and then the much larger amount tossed by consumers) - of food waste each year.  It's estimated that nearly 70 percent of what is thrown away is edible.

The only time I check the date is in the store, and mostly only on dairy -- I'll buy the one with the farthest out date.  But once food and drink is in my refrigerator, I no longer pay attention to the date.  Like you said, looking at it, touching it, sniffing it, and tasting it is what tells me if it's still good, not the sell by/best by date.  Recently, I had some half and half that smelled good, but once I tasted it, nope.  But normally my sniffer is accurate.

You are reminding me of the good news that I am free of the toxic office manager from my old office.  Some months ago I posted about how this loon tried throwing out my box of tea bags because they had expired.  She accused me of trying to poison her.

It's been so wonderful being free of her daily poisoning of the environment.  We moved to a new suite in the same building back in March. 

Also our old landlord, who had kept her on all those years because she was afraid of her.  The landlord, also a lawyer, used to stop me from talking in the hallway.  Since we moved to the new office  not a single person has tried to stop me from talking in the hallway.  She tried to forbid me from talking to my assistant in the hallway where he sits at a work station.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Mind Blown 6
(edited)

Community Reaction GIF

can’t talk about why, and I’ve already been in a space where I can.  That also led to this feeling.  

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 5
21 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Some months ago I posted about how this loon tried throwing out my box of tea bags because they had expired.  She accused me of trying to poison her.

Hahaha expired tea bags. As if the little bits of dried leaves got a little too dried. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

Some people I find you just got to be in the right mood/on your game to talk too.  My barber can be a bit of ball buster.  Not so much to me personally but in general.  

The scenes where Walt Kowalski goes to his barber in Gran Torino was pretty realistic to me.  

• Like 1
On 6/29/2024 at 12:54 PM, Anela said:

When Facebook decides to push Facebook memories at me, because they care so much about me.  Like updates I posted for friends and family, when mum was in the hospital.  

And scheduling a peeve in advance : neighbours and fireworks.  My dog will be terrified. 

Not just Facebook, One Drive has started doing it.  They seem to specialize in the pictures of my mother after her jaw surgery that we sent to her surgeon to analyze her progress.  Just how I want to remember her....

Regarding the fireworks - just be glad you don't live in an area with many Asian neighbors:  firecracker season started last week.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 5
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hahaha expired tea bags. As if the little bits of dried leaves got a little too dried. 

This person had no critical thinking skills and jumped at any opportunity to scream about how you were abusing her.  Probably borderline personality disorder.  I once asked her if I had received a package and it turned into an international incident where she thought I was accusing her of theft.  She thereafter refused to sign for any packages so she would not be held "responsible" if anything went wrong.  For the next three years there were daily incidents when the mailman or Fedex or UPS deliveries arrived. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3