Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I think, for me, it's less the actual wording than it is the vibe of "I am so profound and wise." Even when the sentiment and message are valid, I feel annoyed. I have to remind myself that the person reposting it isn't actually the one demanding that I read it again

• Like 3

Not me. I was using my example in the way that TattleTeeny stated in the post directly above yours. It doesn’t matter what the phrase is, they just add the phrases to reinforce how smart, virtuous, etc the person thinks they are by saying what preceded the catchy phrases. 

Edited by stewedsquash
edit to take out the word take, ha
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

The one that bugs me, is the "be a ___, not a ___." Like be Lucille Ball, not a Kardashian. I don't follow the latter, and don't care if people don't like them. It's more about being told who to be, at all.

o81xADf.png

And my peeve: I can't believe it's almost Halloween, and therefore almost Thanksgiving and Christmas. I feel like it's stomping towards me, at a high speed. I heard Christmas music in a series of Instagram reels, when I was scrolling through someone's IG, and I started to cry. Just not ready for any of it, emotionally or otherwise.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you all referring to the snippy little comments from some folks online in response to whatever you posted (e.g., in the comments section under news articles, in forums, etc)?  

No, it's like sentiments in a meme or an image format -- maybe self-esteem advice or affirmations or whatever -- but after the actual text (which may be fine on its own; that's not what's annoying to me) there's a directive like "read that again" or "let that sink in." Like "look at my quiet, sage wisdom that I have generously and oh-so seriously imparted." It's not usually a reflection of those who repost it; it's just an annoying thing. 

I will add that sometimes, when these directives are attached to a sentiment that is unserious/sarcastic/ridiculous, they can be funny.

Example of the not-funny kind:

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.16.16 AM.png

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Anela said:

The one that bugs me, is the "be a ___, not a ___." Like be Lucille Ball, not a Kardashian. I don't follow the latter, and don't care if people don't like them. It's more about being told who to be, at all.

o81xADf.png

And my peeve: I can't believe it's almost Halloween, and therefore almost Thanksgiving and Christmas. I feel like it's stomping towards me, at a high speed. I heard Christmas music in a series of Instagram reels, when I was scrolling through someone's IG, and I started to cry. Just not ready for any of it, emotionally or otherwise.

image.png.1a779b1030648d3465ff830c9d932e68.png

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

The ones I hate the most are the ones where someone is trying to guilt or shame you into reposting something.  "I think I know which of my friends will pass this along" kind of thing.  Even if I totally agree with what you posted adding that comment will guarantee I will not be forwarding it to anyone.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

The ones I hate the most are the ones where someone is trying to guilt or shame you into reposting something.  "I think I know which of my friends will pass this along" kind of thing.  Even if I totally agree with what you posted adding that comment will guarantee I will not be forwarding it to anyone.

Remember the words of the immortal Phoebe Buffay, "I wish I could but I don't want to." I was amazed by that the first time I heard it and it has served me well in my life.

• Like 16
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

It's so stupid! And half the time it's not even anything important -- or it's something that almost everyone on earth agrees with anyway, like "I am against being bashed in the head repeatedly with a frying pan! I bet you're afraid to share this!" 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

23 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's so stupid! And half the time it's not even anything important -- or it's something that almost everyone on earth agrees with anyway, like "I am against being bashed in the head repeatedly with a frying pan! I bet you're afraid to share this!" 

I liken those to as electronic chain letters. And I f'ng RESENT them, because as someone who is a survivor, I don't need that kind of guilt trip/shit. And I ignore it.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

My latest peeve is getting texts that are image only.  I have never been a fan of texting anyway, if you want to reach me, call or send an email.  But I have reached the point where any automatic image only text (which I can't see or tell who it's from) will get automatically deleted by me.  I don't know if it's an ad or what but out it goes.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

image.png.1a779b1030648d3465ff830c9d932e68.png

We have this on a coffee mug.  Which, to bring this to the topic, is a peeve of mine because we have about eleventy billion coffee mugs because Mr. ebk tends to by them everywhere we go.  

I do like this one, though. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I am not sure if I am peeved but I did waste a lot of time today going back and forth over if I had more of a real adult crush would leave my husband when either showed up between James Spader or Noel Fielding while trying to binge watch last season’s Great British Bake Off. So I had to do a lot of rewinding and missed my goal of starting the new season tomorrow. It’s always been James until Noel showed up several years ago. I guess I am peeved that I can’t make a choice. It’s a tie. 

• Wink 3
15 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I am not sure if I am peeved but I did waste a lot of time today going back and forth over if I had more of a real adult crush would leave my husband when either showed up between James Spader or Noel Fielding while trying to binge watch last season’s Great British Bake Off. So I had to do a lot of rewinding and missed my goal of starting the new season tomorrow. It’s always been James until Noel showed up several years ago. I guess I am peeved that I can’t make a choice. It’s a tie. 

For me it was always Jeff Goldblum or David Duchovny. Of course with what we know about Duchovny now, he's right out.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

It's been a while since I've been in Philadelphia but these bikes will keep me away.  Seems it's a huge issue there.  I guess along with other cities today?

https://billypenn.com/2019/09/29/with-meek-mill-as-leader-dirt-bike-culture-is-stronger-than-ever-but-philly-riders-still-have-nowhere-to-go/

I hate those things. Our across the street neighbors had them for their kids. After their fence fell down we got a first hand look at their torn up back yard. Gentrification can be bad for some neighborhoods but in our case it has been a blessing.

• Like 3
On 10/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, peacheslatour said:

For me it was always Jeff Goldblum or David Duchovny. Of course with what we know about Duchovny now, he's right out.

What about Duchovny? I just saw him on Who Do You Think You Are last night. He knew nothing about his paternal great-grandparents who managed to get out of Russia, then Egypt and made their way to America.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What about Duchovny? I just saw him on Who Do You Think You Are last night. He knew nothing about his paternal great-grandparents who managed to get out of Russia, then Egypt and made their way to America.

He has had issues with sex addiction. Assuming this is what Ppeaches was referring to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m wearing 2 Sherpa hoodies today… summer is over! My cheap landlord barely gives heat. Let me tell you how miserable it is to shower / get ready in a cold apartment. 

I wish I had central heat/air. 

I recently moved but my old landlord was the same way.  I used to sleep in hat and gloves and sometimes in a down coat under a down comforter so I really relate.  Landlords suck.  

• Sad 7
11 minutes ago, partofme said:

I recently moved but my old landlord was the same way.  I used to sleep in hat and gloves and sometimes in a down coat under a down comforter so I really relate.  Landlords suck.  

Same here. When it’s gonna get really cold I walk around my apartment and sleep in a winter coat too. I live in a private building so I expect better but nope. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 5

I recently had new insulation put in my attic to replace the ancient, disgusting insulation that has been here since I bought my house 15 years ago. I was all excited to give my old furnace a newly insulated space to eek out at least one more year. Hopefully the new furnace enjoys the space since the existing one now needs so much in repairs it's more cost effective to replace it. Ugh. Early Christmas present to myself, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Peeve 1:  it’s dark out in the morning.

Peeve 2:  they’ve started the nonstop Christmas movies on Hallmark. Although I’ve been known to watch some of them. 

Yes to both!! It is too darn dark to go out and feed my kitties at 7AM!  That is when they ate in the Summer. I have to wait until it begins to get light around 7:45ish before I am going out in the cold...

And Hallmark with the nonstop Christmas... ugh!  I like to watch an episode of Golden Girls just to relax before I go to bed. I've seen them a thousand times but I find them a soothing end to my day. Wish they would leave just one of their channels with regular programming during this awful drawn out Christmas extravaganza!! Guess I'm going to have to wait until January. Booo!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

One of the things I intended to make with the groceries I bought this evening was lemon chicken & cauliflower rice soup.  So what was my market out of?  Lemon and cauliflower.  Grrrr.  I have to go to an in-person meeting tomorrow (real clothes and heels instead of flip flops, oh no), so I'll get them on the way home, just a one day delay, but I don't think I've ever had those ingredients be sold out before.  (Normally there are lemons on my tree year-round, but right now the last of the old crop is all gone and the new crop is still green, so I'm already annoyed at having to buy lemons instead of just walking outside and picking them, anyway.)

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1

I am beginning to be really upset with people who misuse terms like panic attack or trauma and similar when talking about stuff like TV shows or other less important* topics. It's IMO unfair to those who deal with the really hard situations if they try to put it on the same level. No, you should not have a panic attack waiting if your favorite show gets renewed and if you do, you probably have some other problem and should contact a doctor (just please don't self-diagnose on internet). And if you think you have trauma over how some storyline ended, try to imagine telling that to some survivor of abuse to the face and think again.

*I tried to find another term that wouldn't sound demeaning but I couldn't think of any. Yes, I get that some people can take stories very seriously and see themselves in them, I have done the same. It's ok to be upset and/or cry over that as long as you want, just maybe consider the language and the bigger picture? Language matters.

• Like 7

Adding a peeve because it happened just now, as I was reading this: doorbells on TV shows and commercials. I put down my Kindle, remove my glasses, get up, walk through living room and kitchen to get to the door and ... nothing. Again. I know I need the exercise. I'm just peeved by the interruption.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
On 10/24/2023 at 2:57 PM, HissyFit said:

Adding a peeve because it happened just now, as I was reading this: doorbells on TV shows and commercials. I put down my Kindle, remove my glasses, get up, walk through living room and kitchen to get to the door and ... nothing. Again. I know I need the exercise. I'm just peeved by the interruption.

I don’t answer my doorbell. At All.    Yay my son is putting my Ring doorbell in this weekend.  Thank goodness I’m in a condo because residents in other housing in my area are getting” solar” salespeople at 9-9:30 at night. 

The heating issue : isn’t there a law about heating /  cooling that must be provided?   I used a tower heater in a 55 year old duplex wanting to keep my utility bill down.  A new heater was put in while I was there but no insulation in walls or attic so I also use heated blanket that I turn on then off when I get in bed.  Here in California apartment residents have much better protection laws than single dwellings or duplexes.  

• Like 6

New Pet Peeve unlocked--the Amber Alert system in my state.  I'm at work, and just got one located 20 counties due west of where I live.  My state roughly divides into 3 distinct sections going from east to west.  There is no need to send out this alert to those living in the coastal plain when the abduction happened in the mountains 6-9 hours away.  If for some reason the abductor was traveling east, we are all going to forget the details of the alert by the time they got near us.  

• Sad 1

Loud TVs are today's peeve.  My great-uncle is staying with us for a few days while he has outpatient treatment and being a good niece I made sure he had a TV in his room.  Not the first mistake, or likely the last, I will make in my lifetime.  But today, of all days, when the news has been uniformly just awful, is not a day when I need CNN blasting down the hall.  He's not in the best of health and I don't have the heart to make this an issue since it's temporary.  Ear plugs are my new best friends.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 6
On 10/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, stewedsquash said:

I don’t say it but I do love Happy Hump Day. It makes sense. 

Hump Day always reminds me of this poster I once saw.

hump-day (1).jpg

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6

Peeve of the day -- my stupid satellite TV.  It worked fine this morning, and at lunchtime, but now, for no reason I can see, some channels are not coming in.  It isn't cloudy, nothing has disturbed the dish, and no trees have grown branches that block the dish in the last four hours.  I checked the cable, and it all seems to be connected properly.  It's just so random.  And annoying.

ETA: And it's back.  No idea why.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Peeve of the day -- my stupid satellite TV.  It worked fine this morning, and at lunchtime, but now, for no reason I can see, some channels are not coming in.  It isn't cloudy, nothing has disturbed the dish, and no trees have grown branches that block the dish in the last four hours.  I checked the cable, and it all seems to be connected properly.  It's just so random.  And annoying.

Our bedroom TV died on Monday. Last night my husband got it to work but today? Nothing. I ordered a new one off Amazon yesterday. It should be here by Tuesday. For now, I just turn the living room TV waay up. I don't really watch the bedroom one, it's just backround noise but my husband can't sleep without the thing on. He turns it off when I come to bed.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Hugs 1
On 10/27/2023 at 12:50 PM, Browncoat said:

This is clearly *them*, not you. Happens due to rotation of the earth vis-a-vis the satellites that are transmitting...My husband was a beta tester for Dish when Dish first came on line so he used to explain these things to me...not that I understood 1/4 of it. 😸

• Like 1
  • LOL 2