Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My current pet peeve is all the nose bleeds I have been getting. I have no explanation for them they just happen randomly. Some I can control quickly some it takes almost an hour. I am at the point I am almost afraid to move around at all.

Typically, if a nosebleed lasts more than 15 minutes, one should seek medical attention.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My current pet peeve is all the nose bleeds I have been getting. I have no explanation for them they just happen randomly. Some I can control quickly some it takes almost an hour. I am at the point I am almost afraid to move around at all.

Hubs gets them generally 2-3x weekly.  He is an epic nose blower due to oxygen use, and is on blood thinners.  My laundry skills in bloodstain removal are being tested.

• Hugs 3
  • Love 1
On 10/28/2022 at 10:39 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Also, not really a peeve to me, but probably a perfectly valid one: condo management here doesn't seem to let people know in advance that workers will be on the premises doing stuff. For example, I guess they're flushing the sprinklers or something now (is that a thing?) and it's super noisy (and super abrupt too; when the noise started, oh my god -- I nearly jumped out of my skin! ), with mini geysers, like...geysering into the air. I can see how someone might get a little worried that some kind of bad thing was happening, especially if they can't see anyone in a uniform looking official and in-the-know. Last week, we had gutter cleaner guys on ladders outside the windows. I can really see how that might affect someone negatively and/or yield some problematic (at best, and dangerous at worst!) situations.

I got in touch with my condo management just this week because there were window cleaners out with no advance notice.  I don't have neighbors overlooking my place, so I often wander around in my underwear.  Unacceptable.

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I usually only hear LEOs refer to them as "individuals".

What's an LEO?

Edited by Leeds
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm so sorry.  My mother had the same problem and it was very distressing for her.  She even had surgery, but it didn't help.  (Not to dissuade you from surgery, if that's an option; I know it's effective for some, if not many.)

16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Law Enforcement Officer.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I got in touch with my condo management just this week because there were window cleaners out with no advance notice.  I don't have neighbors overlooking my place, so I often wander around in my underwear.  Unacceptable.

Right! But my brain sometimes goes somewhere else as well. Often, the workers who are just doing their jobs are young guys of color. Sometimes I think our current landscape and some people's skewed views* and worry about the safety of these guys, who are, again, just doing what they do and likely have no idea that no one told the residents that work was scheduled. But even without all that, it's just common sense that someone inside might become scared by the surprise of a person outside the window unexpectedly! And, on a less dark note, even just what if someone threw open a window abruptly for whatever reason while one of them is on a ladder (once I saw a neighbor shaking out a blanket or rug--why she didn't use the balcony, I have no idea)? 

My last apartment also had balconies, which maintenance would sometimes just take off the building for, well, maintenance -- often without any prior notice. They'd put that orange plastic mesh-fence stuff across the sliding doors, but oh my goodness, that seemed a little dangerous. Imagine coming home from work and absently looking through the mail or something while going to sit on your balcony?

*I have no reason to believe that any of my neighbors have "skewed views," even if they are birdfeeder jerks.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Mind Blown 1
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Typically, if a nosebleed lasts more than 15 minutes, one should seek medical attention.

That is all well and good if you live in a city where clinics are easily available. I live in the boonies in MT it is a 60 mile round trip to the nearest dr to me.

ETA Since this nose bleed issue came up, I don't blow my nose at all. I have pots of water on several heater vents to keep the air humid....

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5
23 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Please see your Primary Care MD as soon as possible and report this new development. It can be associated with high BP and be an early warning of an oncoming stroke. This scares me. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

The only med I take is a high blood pressure med, Atenonol. My bp is normal all times I check it and at dr appointments. hmmm maybe my dose is too high??

Now I'm scared too.  I did tell you on Monday in that other thread that I thought you should consult a doctor.  Frequent nosebleeds can be caused by medical conditions.  Now I read that congestive heart failure can also cause nosebleeds.  60 miles round trip in Montana - hopefully mostly highway miles plus your speed limits are higher than they are in my state.  Although no trip is too long when I'm worried about my health. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

The only med I take is a high blood pressure med, Atenonol. My bp is normal all times I check it and at dr appointments. hmmm maybe my dose is too high??

To me that would be an indication that your med is doing its job, but I think any change in your medication should be made by your physician. Your doctor may also want to check you for anemia caused by all the blood loss. Best wishes and I’m sorry it involves such a long trip and your time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a blood blister under my tongue caused by a chicken bone poking it (I think that’s what happened). I thought it was going away but it swelled up again. And the frustrating part is I told my mother my concerns for the past three weeks but apparently she thought I was complaining about a different spot on my mouth and it’s only NOW she saw it; up until now she’s been dismissing me as a hypochondriac. Calling the dentist on Monday and hopefully they can help, but I want this fucker gone already.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3

Today would be a really good day to go for a walk (for exercise reasons and “do it before winter ruins everything” reasons), but I can’t because I mysteriously hurt my foot in some unknown incident that I don’t recall. Online doctor prescribed some steroid or other, so fine, whatever. It will probably work so that’s good, but she also said to keep my shoes on in the house. But no, I won’t!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It will probably work so that’s good, but she also said to keep my shoes on in the house. But no, I won’t!

On a message board I was on in the early days of Internet message boards (possibly a yahoo group) anyway, there was once a pages long battle between two warring factions - the always wear shoes in the house battalion vs the shoes in the house? are you crazy? battalion.  It was pretty entertaining.  I had no idea how heated people could get over this!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Haha! I don’t think I’d get heated about it, but that could be simply because most of the people whose houses I go into and who come into mine are of similar mind on this, now that I think about it — I never have to get heated! But mostly it’s because, as much as I dig shoes and boots, I just want them off of me when I’m not out and about. Socks too.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

But mostly it’s because, as much as I dig shoes and boots, I just want them off of me when I’m not out and about. Socks too.

Same.  I'd go barefoot everywhere if I could get away with it!  Living in Canada though this is probably a Very Bad Idea!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

On a message board I was on in the early days of Internet message boards (possibly a yahoo group) anyway, there was once a pages long battle between two warring factions - the always wear shoes in the house battalion vs the shoes in the house? are you crazy? battalion.  It was pretty entertaining.  I had no idea how heated people could get over this!

This is both regional and cultural.  As @Elizabeth Anne said, here in Canada, it's mostly no (outdoor) shoes inside.  I have sandals that COULD be for outdoors, but I don't wear those outside.  My parents, who are from Hong Kong, look at me funny because I don't wear East Asian style slippers inside very much.  They absolutely got mad at me when I was younger whenever I went barefoot.  To them, that was absolutely disgusting (I could also go on about eating certain foods, etc, etc...)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

My parents, who are from Hong Kong, look at me funny because I don't wear East Asian style slippers inside very much. 

My FIL was French Canadian and he always had a pile of crocheted slippers by the door in his house.  He didn't want shoes and he didn't want socks or barefeet either.  I have no idea if this was cultural or just him!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

The other night, my BF abruptly took off his socks, tossed them onto the living room floor, and exclaimed, "I'm you!"

I hate socks too.  I only wear them in the winter!

• Like 1

I wear Crocs inside that never go outside.  I do this since I had plantar fasciitis several years ago and a podiatrist told me not to go without shoes for long periods of time, which I always did at home.  Also, I broke a bone in one of my feet almost a year ago and my orthopedic surgeon recommended some type of support/protection for a while to make sure it is fully healed.  Apparently the bone I broke is one of the slowest to heal and one of the easiest to re-break.  But I slip out of the Crocs whenever I'm sitting down.  I remove my outside shoes immediately after walking inside.  Definitely in the winter, when I might have snow/slush/sand/road salt on my shoes or boots.  It's routine in my area to remove your shoes when coming inside during the winter as a courtesy.  

• Useful 1
36 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my god, I need to hide in a bunker or something. Took the prednisone and, 15 minutes later, I sneezed approximately 950 times and now cannot breathe through my nose at all.

Have you taken it bfore?  Could you be allergic?

Sounds lik the sneezing caused the nasal block maybe?  Give it a bit, should calm down.

• Love 1

Thank you -- it did calm down, about 30 minutes after that craziness! I used a neti pot as best I could and feel OK now, but weirdly tired (maybe the prednisone itself, maybe that ab workout-level sneeze-fit!). Not sure if I am full-blown allergic or just had a reaction this time (I'm fairly sure I must have had prednisone at some point in my life, which I guess doesn't necessarily mean I am not allergic now). Anyway, now I need to decide if I take the next dose tomorrow.

Foot feels OK-ish -- oddly enough, I can comfortably balance/stand on it just fine (like in the shower when I lift up and wash my other foot); it's just the normal walking that's a little painful. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Massive peeve. The fucking wind. Our power was out for 14 hours and I just about froze to death.

You don't have a wood stove? I can't imagine living in the Pacific Northwest without a wood stove. When I lived in Mt. Shasta our power went out *constantly* and I once got to live a real "pioneer woman" existence for five days when it snowed five feet of the heavy, Pacific cement style snow and the poor overweighted trees came down and took the power lines with them. The wood stove saved my life as I could not even see my car at all after the first day (let alone dig it out by myself - my husband was out of town supervising a major construction project at our other house) and as long as I keep digging to the woodshed and feeding the stove I had heat, hot food and hot water for tea and washing.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 2
8 minutes ago, isalicat said:

You don't have a wood stove? I can't imagine living in the Pacific Northwest without a wood stove. When I lived in Mt. Shasta our power went out *constantly* and I once got to live a real "pioneer woman" existence for five days when it snowed five feet of the heavy, Pacific cement style snow and the poor overweighted trees came down and took the power lines with them. The wood stove saved my life as I could not even see my car at all after the first day (let alone dig it out by myself - my husband was out of town supervising a major construction project at our other house) and as long as I keep digging to the woodshed and feeding the stove I had heat, hot food and hot water for tea and washing.

Nope. We do have a Kerosun heater but we didn't have any fuel. I would kill for a wood burning stove or even a fireplace.

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Nope. We do have a Kerosun heater but we didn't have any fuel. I would kill for a wood burning stove or even a fireplace.

Fireplaces are attractive and nice places to toast a marshmellow but useless for heating (they actually suck heat out of the house). There are some great very small wood stoves out there (ours was a Lopi - quite small and incredibly efficient), and all you need is to cut a hole in the wall or ceiling for the flue and make sure that under the stove is a slab of stone of some kind and you are good to go. Then you get educated about what kind of wood to burn...which is a whole 'nother subject 😸

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Topical to loud upstairs neighbors

https://youtu.be/4IRB0sxw-YU

Ugh...this brought back bad memories of years dealing with bass notes, washing machine at 2:00 AM, loud parties, alarm clock going off way too early next door, etc., etc.

Forgot...squeaking bed that could be heard anytime even in my dining room. These were all noises in various apts I lived in.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Massive peeve. The fucking wind. Our power was out for 14 hours and I just about froze to death.

Ugh.  I was worried about that as well, as we had the 50+mph sustained gusts as well.  We got lucky.  Hope you didn't lose your perishables.  Glad you didn't freeze to death. 🥶

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Ugh.  I was worried about that as well, as we had the 50+mph sustained gusts as well.  We got lucky.  Hope you didn't lose your perishables.  Glad you didn't freeze to death. 🥶

Everything in the fridge was aok. I'm glad I didn't freeze too, thank you very much but I never want to go through that again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've posted this before, but it's a bummer when you're into different things from your family and friends. 

I normally have someone to go to pop, hip hop, R&B, and classical shows with. Not a reliable buddy for a lot of the rock shows I want to see, which are my favorite. The energy at rock shows is just something else, and I'd like to catch more old bands before they're gone forever. 

Kind of similar with movies. I mostly enjoy comedies like Ticket to Paradise, dramas like Cyrano or Where the Crawdads sing, and horror like Halloween Ends. I do often have movie buddies for those, but they're also often into action and sci-fi, more guy humor comedies, or dramas that are really long and bore me. I go most often with my sister, and for whatever reason, she and I seem to have opposite taste in movies.

It would be nice to meet a guy who's into rock music, and befriend someone who's more into "chick flicks."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Everything in the fridge was aok. I'm glad I didn't freeze too, thank you very much but I never want to go through that again.

We did a 9-hour stretch a couple weeks ago.  No fun at all, especially with no tv or internet.  First world problems, but still problems, lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I finally reset my clock to standard time and then noticed I had also reset the temperature it shows to Celsius.  I might have to break out the directions but instead went with it and had a cup of English Breakfast Tea and looked upon it as a learning experience. 

• Wink 4
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We did a 9-hour stretch a couple weeks ago.  No fun at all, especially with no tv or internet.  First world problems, but still problems, lol.

We lost our internet/cell phone connection for nearly the entire day while we were isolated for COVID over the summer (and for us, losing internet also meant that we lost TV and our landline).  Not fun.

Edited by PRgal
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

It would be nice to meet a guy who's into rock music, and befriend someone who's more into "chick flicks."

Do you outright dislike going by yourself, or just prefer having a companion?  Hopefully the latter, so you can still do these things rather than skipping them when you don't have anyone interested in going with you.

I'll happily go to a concert alone if no one is interested/available, but if someone is I enjoy sharing that with someone.  Movies, though, I often prefer to go alone -- but one of my BFFs and I will always see any new Halloween or Scream together; it's tradition.  And, thankfully, the last two Halloweens were available to stream the same day they premiered in theatres, so we didn't have to wait (neither of us are spending prolonged indoor time with strangers).

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

There's nothing quite like a power outage to make me realize how spoiled I am.  We don't have crazy storms here, so there's just the occasional outage because a transformer blew, someone crashed into a pole, or we have rolling blackouts due to over-usage (thankfully, I don't remember the last time they had to do that).  Even when a plane crash took out three poles, the power was on by the next morning, and that was an extreme case; it's normally more like an hour, and certainly no more than three.  Yet I am totally annoyed the whole time.  Even if it's daylight and I can just sit and read a book!

• Love 3

There's nothing quite like a power outage to make me realize how spoiled I am.  We don't have crazy storms here, so there's just the occasional outage because a transformer blew, someone crashed into a pole, or we have rolling blackouts due to over-usage (thankfully, I don't remember the last time they had to do that).  Even when a plane crash took out three poles, the power was on by the next morning, and that was an extreme case; it's normally more like an hour, and certainly no more than three.  Yet I am totally annoyed the whole time.  Even if it's daylight and I can just sit and read a book!

You would not have liked being me yeasterday. It was awful. Just hunched up in bed with Elizabeth, reading a book with a flashlight. My teeth chettered so hard, my entire jaw is aching today.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 4

We pretty much only ever have power outages here if there's a really bad thunderstorm or snowstorm. Occasionally we can have a power outage for other reasons - something tripped a power line or something like that. But most of the time it's got to be a storm that knocks it all out, and thankfully that doesn't happen super often. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I bought a headlamp the last time we had a power outage.  Much easier to read without having to hold onto a flashlight as well as the book!  It's amazing how much I use that headlamp for other things, too.

My son hikes quite extensively. He loves his headlamp.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It's amazing how much I use that headlamp for other things, too.

When I look back on how many projects I did with a flashlight in my mouth, since I had a tool in my right hand and whatever I was working on in my left, I cannot believe I didn't get one of those sooner.  I recently had to replace the straps on mine as the elastic had rotted -- which was an unpleasant surprise when I went to put it on in order to change a dimmer switch.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Do you outright dislike going by yourself, or just prefer having a companion?  Hopefully the latter, so you can still do these things rather than skipping them when you don't have anyone interested in going with you.

I'll happily go to a concert alone if no one is interested/available, but if someone is I enjoy sharing that with someone.  Movies, though, I often prefer to go alone -- but one of my BFFs and I will always see any new Halloween or Scream together; it's tradition.  And, thankfully, the last two Halloweens were available to stream the same day they premiered in theatres, so we didn't have to wait (neither of us are spending prolonged indoor time with strangers).

It can be a bit of both. If a music artist I love is performing, sometimes the other person may as well not be there. lol But as someone who deals with anxiety, it generally helps me to go with someone, especially a show that requires some travel. People have encouraged me to just go alone on here before, and I do appreciate the encouragement. I don't believe I should miss out on stuff because I'm single and don't always have a friend who's into the activity I want to do. In real life, people are often shocked when I do go to something alone. Perhaps that leads to some of my nerves about it, fear of judgement. 

As far as concerts, it just depends on how much I love the artist, how far it is, the price, what else I have going, etc. Movies aren't as big a deal to go alone. I've done that quite a few times before, but I do prefer going with others. I still get a little nervous going to a packed theatre by myself, and it is fun to discuss a film with someone afterwards. 

Also, safety can be a concern. I've had my car break down. I've had creepy men approach me late at night. There's a comfort when you're not alone.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

The energy at rock shows is just something else, and I'd like to catch more old bands before they're gone forever. 

Go alone. I couldn't find anyone to go see Elton John with me so I went alone. It would have been nice to have that shared experience with but ultimately, if I didn't go alone I would have missed the experience altogether. 

2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've had creepy men approach me late at night. There's a comfort when you're not alone.

Pay for on site parking and leave with the crowd. Safety in numbers. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Go alone. I couldn't find anyone to go see Elton John with me so I went alone. It would have been nice to have that shared experience with but ultimately, if I didn't go alone I would have missed the experience altogether. 

Pay for on site parking and leave with the crowd. Safety in numbers. 

I saw Elton too! He was amazing. I'm so glad you didn't miss out. 

Thank you for the good advice! Last time I had trouble finding good parking, and I stayed late to get a shirt. I learned my lesson to leave work earlier so I can get better parking, and to get my butt out along with the rest of the crowd. 

• Love 2

Pet peeve today, newspaper headlines that are hyperbolic.   Example from today "education workers strike grinding on".  They went out Friday.  Today, last I checked is Monday.  And incidentally the strike is over as of about mid-day today.  Grinding on?  Seriously?

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

UGGGGHHHHHH, small hairline fracture in the second metatarsal! I have to wrap it up and wear one of those annoying boot things until god knows when. It's not terribly painful, but I hate having to walk so slowly (and not go for stress-relieving walks).

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 5