Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Watching TV with my husband who is recuperating from surgery and to be a good sport I didn't object when he put on House Hunters International.  I dislike these shows intensely ( I hate the faux disagreements they have over choosing a property when they've ALREADY chosen, sometimes months before they make the show) but that aside my peeve is with myself. I ended up getting invested in the episodes we saw and had to see which one they picked.  Aarghh....

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

I have duckduck and it hasn't helped at all with this site. Of course, I have android so I guess there's no ad blocker for me. The ads here are *the worst*. I can be reading a post when suddenly an ad covers the entire screen....or the screen goes dark.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have duckduck and it hasn't helped at all with this site. Of course, I have android so I guess there's no ad blocker for me. The ads here are *the worst*. I can be reading a post when suddenly an ad covers the entire screen....or the screen goes dark.

If you have Chrome on your android, AdBlock is a godsend. But yeah, it only works with Chrome. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

Watching TV with my husband who is recuperating from surgery and to be a good sport I didn't object when he put on House Hunters International.  I dislike these shows intensely ( I hate the faux disagreements they have over choosing a property when they've ALREADY chosen, sometimes months before they make the show) but that aside my peeve is with myself. I ended up getting invested in the episodes we saw and had to see which one they picked.  Aarghh....

I like My Lottery Dream Home, even though they've already chosen the home before the show airs.  I like seeing what people consider to be a "dream" home.  For example, there was one woman who was looking for a place on the water at a local lake, and her primary need for the house was electricity and indoor plumbing.  

Peeve of the day -- it's overcast and so I won't have a chance to see the Northern Lights here tonight.  I'm too far south for them to be seen on the regular.

• Like 5
43 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I like My Lottery Dream Home, even though they've already chosen the home before the show airs.  I like seeing what people consider to be a "dream" home.  For example, there was one woman who was looking for a place on the water at a local lake, and her primary need for the house was electricity and indoor plumbing.  

Peeve of the day -- it's overcast and so I won't have a chance to see the Northern Lights here tonight.  I'm too far south for them to be seen on the regular.

I’m hoping to see the northern lights tonight.  Our skies are clear, so far.  

my dream home was something like the house in Practical Magic.  I wouldn’t mind a nice home, like the influencers I follow, but most of them look the same.  

I recently saw a house for sale, on one of those old house dreams sites. It’s about an hour from me, but there’s no way we can afford it.  I don’t know if I can link to Zillow.  Oh, it was sold, so I won’t link to the address.  I’ll see if I can take a few screenshots, and link them later on.  

56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If you live near the metro DC area? You can count on overcast when anything exciting comes our way 🤬. We were lucky to see the eclipse, but only via the special glasses (of course, that was the *only* way to see it..but once again, cloudy skies here that day). 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

If you live near the metro DC area? You can count on overcast when anything exciting comes our way 🤬. We were lucky to see the eclipse, but only via the special glasses (of course, that was the *only* way to see it..but once again, cloudy skies here that day). 

I'm about 3 1/2 to 4 hours south-ish of the Dulles/Vienna area.  And it was overcast for the eclipse here, too.  We got a tiny window of about ten minutes where the clouds were thin enough that we got a glimpse of it, but then the clouds moved back in, and that was it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Pet peeve: every time I want to go to the Commercials section here I struggle to find it.

I know!! It used to show up on my custom home page after I followed it, but now I have to manually go to Other TV Talk to get to it.  Life is soooooo hard 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

I didn't even know about the Northern Lights tonight!    First I miss the eclipse and now this...however it's been raining in Manhattan and I can't even see the stars here on a good night.  I do miss the stars.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
(edited)

I was half-asleep on the couch, after planning to drink my tea, and then go outside. We have too many trees around our house, too. I had been hoping to go to the lake, but dad was too tired.  

it turns out I missed being able to see it, when I was on the couch.  By the time I walked down the street (north) past the trees, I didn’t think I was getting anything with my phone, either.  The sky was clear, but looked a bit cloudy in photos, so I think that was all I could get of it.  I took better photos of the colours, later on, but just barely.  It was like colours of the sunset or sunrise, but I could only see them when I took a photo in night mode, which it switched to automatically. 

before that, I was looking at all of these photos from all over the world, people astounded that they were seeing them in Florida, and Arizona, and I’m seeing nothing. One person wrote something about millions of people crossing off a bucket list item, and I was just thinking “FML” although I laughed.  It was on my bucket list, on a goal-setting site in 2005. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have DuckDuck too.  I had to ad an ad blocker also.  It works.  Not one ad anymore.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Pet peeve: every time I want to go to the Commercials section here I struggle to find it.

12 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I know!! It used to show up on my custom home page after I followed it, but now I have to manually go to Other TV Talk to get to it.  Life is soooooo hard 😉

Same here - I don't understand why they changed that!  But if this helps...  I follow several of the subforums in Commercials, with notifications turned on.  So the forum is active enough that I can just click on the notification bell at the top right, and go to a recent post in one of the subforums.  From there, it's easy enough to navigate up to the parent forum.

• Useful 2

ARGGGH, all the clouds here are ruining everything!! I just went through Facebook, where seemingly EVERYBODY I know was posting NL pics they took last night, some of whom live well south of me. And all I got was a night full of clouds. Cloudy now, and the same expected for tonight. ARRRGGGGHH!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 4

When I visited Donegal in Northwest Ireland last summer my guide (who is wonderful) told me that she could photograph the Northern Lights there all year except in the summer when the sky was too light at night!  It just shows I guess how rare it is here at our latitude.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Peeve of the day -- ticks.  I was out in the forest yesterday, and thought I checked myself well when I got home, but I found a tick attached to the back of my ear this morning.  It didn't appear to have been attached for long (it was still regular-tick-sized), and it wasn't a Lone Star tick, so hopefully I won't get the alpha-gal allergy.  It still might have transmitted other things like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but I actually worry more about the alpha-gal.  It would be very bad if I had to eliminate mammal products (meat, cheese, milk, ice cream, etc.) from my diet.

I guess I need to get better tick repellant, too.

• Hugs 8
  • Angry 2
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Peeve of the day -- ticks.  I was out in the forest yesterday, and thought I checked myself well when I got home, but I found a tick attached to the back of my ear this morning.  It didn't appear to have been attached for long (it was still regular-tick-sized), and it wasn't a Lone Star tick, so hopefully I won't get the alpha-gal allergy.  It still might have transmitted other things like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but I actually worry more about the alpha-gal.  It would be very bad if I had to eliminate mammal products (meat, cheese, milk, ice cream, etc.) from my diet.

I guess I need to get better tick repellant, too.

I fucking hate them. I'm scared to go anywhere to nature because we have infectious ones too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1

A TV related peeve, there was a time when shows that were aimed at families, or at least were airing before a certain time anyway, did not have adverts for shows that were very much not intended for a general audience.  Sigh.  I miss those days.   There are programs I intentionally will never watch and even seeing the commercials for them can be upsetting.

• Like 9
37 minutes ago, Dimity said:

A TV related peeve, there was a time when shows that were aimed at families, or at least were airing before a certain time anyway, did not have adverts for shows that were very much not intended for a general audience.  Sigh.  I miss those days.   There are programs I intentionally will never watch and even seeing the commercials for them can be upsetting.

I have Hulu with commercials, they frequently run ads for ads for horror movies. I hate horror movies and the ads scare/disturb me!

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I have Hulu with commercials, they frequently run ads for ads for horror movies. I hate horror movies and the ads scare/disturb me!

Same, but it night be what you are watching. Their algorithm   I’m getting targeted with other types of ads. 

P.S. When do I close the account so I can get another year for .99 per month? 

Edited by Mindthinkr

Peeve:  Everything going wrong all the time and having to waste hours resolving it.

I bought a purse "never used in perfect condition" on Poshmark.  It came with damaged with several small cuts on the outside of it.  The person packaged it horribly - scrunched it into a small box with no plastic or paper around it so no wonder.  Now I have to take photos of the box, the label, and the purse itself from all angles in "outdoor lighting" to get a refund.

Also, I had to buy several formalwear dresses for a special occasion on Macy's site because they don't carry enough petites in the store.  I was worried because it was just past the "return window" to get a refund.  Well I had no problem getting one, but then the charge/withdrawal crossed with the refund and the entire balance was deducted from my bank account to the tune of $450!!  So now I have to dispute that and probably go through the 9 circles of hell talking to someone frustrating on the other end...

And now my cable is out and I have no idea what it is.  We did all the troubleshooting suggestions but it's just not working.  I fear it's the box.  I hope I don't lose my recordings - last time we did even though they told us all our recordings were saved remotely and not in the box itself.  Thankfully I won't be the one calling this time.  I have too much PTSD from calling them every other time.  It's my husband's turn, although he is a luddite and gets frustrated easily on customer service calls.  One reason I'm happy I'm going out early so I won't have to suffer through hearing him do it, LOL. 😉

• Like 2
  • Hugs 7

I still haven't replaced my little bag that I got from Target, either early last year, or late 2022. It's a little rectangle one, that was big enough to hold the basics, but not my notebook that I take with me everywhere. 

This past March, we'd just arrived at Target, I opened the zip to put my phone in my bag, and the zip came off in my hand. I got that bag to replace an old little bag, that kept falling open, and dropping my stuff everywhere. 

I finally bought some trainers, so I could start getting on the treadmill again, but they were too tight on one foot, and I didn't really like them, I liked the price. So, I took them back yesterday, hoping to find some that I actually like, but those cost around $95. It's criminal. 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 5

New day, new peeve.  I am apparently looking for a unicorn.  I want/need some lightweight pajamas, and I would like 100% cotton, woven poplin, NOT jersey knit, with long pants and a short-sleeved top, for under $100.  I would prefer the whole set to be woven poplin.  I can find what I'm looking for, but the lowest price ones were something like $130.  For pajamas.  (And they were ugly.)

Jersey knit I can find all over the place.  Non-natural fibers and blends?  Common as dirt.  Long pants and long sleeved shirts?  Equally easy to find.  Short sleeves with shorts?  No problem.  <sigh>  This is one of those things I thought would be easier.  

If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
(edited)

Marshalls/TJ Maxx usually* have Ralph Lauren "men's style" pyjamas (you know, like they wore on tv shows in the old days), including combos of short/long tops and bottoms.  They're 100% cotton in the summer and jersey knit in the winter.   

* as usually as you can count on a specific product being at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.  I stock up when I see them, because they're my favourites too.   

Since you're in the US (I think?) try Macy's for both Ralph L and Charter Club.  

Edited by Quof
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Marshalls/TJ Maxx usually* have Ralph Lauren "men's style" pyjamas (you know, like they wore on tv shows in the old days), including combos of short/long tops and bottoms.  They're 100% cotton in the summer and jersey knit in the winter.   

* as usually as you can count on a specific product being at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.  I stock up when I see them, because they're my favourites too.   

Since you're in the US (I think?) try Macy's for both Ralph L and Charter Club.  

Thanks!  I am in the US.  I'll try those.  The places I've found men's, they don't have tops.  

• Mind Blown 1

I'd love to find shortie pj's that don't have "bootie shorts"!  I found a couple on Amazon, but wish Macy's or Nordstrom carried nice, regular length pj shorts with tops. Does any store cater to women over 50?? Inquiring minds want to know 😎

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I want/need some lightweight pajamas, and I would like 100% cotton, woven poplin, NOT jersey knit, with long pants and a short-sleeved top, for under $100.

I don't know about woven poplin, but my go-to for 100% cotton pajamas that don't break the bank is Charter Club at Macy's.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Somebody told me I always look angry.

It's not the 1st time I've heard that in my lifetime but I thought that was kind of an inappropriate comment.  

• Hugs 5
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

New day, new peeve.  I am apparently looking for a unicorn.  I want/need some lightweight pajamas, and I would like 100% cotton, woven poplin, NOT jersey knit, with long pants and a short-sleeved top, for under $100.  I would prefer the whole set to be woven poplin.  I can find what I'm looking for, but the lowest price ones were something like $130.  For pajamas.  (And they were ugly.)

Jersey knit I can find all over the place.  Non-natural fibers and blends?  Common as dirt.  Long pants and long sleeved shirts?  Equally easy to find.  Short sleeves with shorts?  No problem.  <sigh>  This is one of those things I thought would be easier.  

If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235562360883

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'd love to find shortie pj's that don't have "bootie shorts"!  I found a couple on Amazon, but wish Macy's or Nordstrom carried nice, regular length pj shorts with tops. Does any store cater to women over 50?? Inquiring minds want to know 😎

I was able to order some from Old Navy online last year. I love them!

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

It's not the 1st time I've heard that in my lifetime but I thought that was kind of an inappropriate comment.  

I feel you. My general default look apparently looks to some people like resting bitch face. I guess to some people, happy is the default. To me, neutral is the default.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

People used to ask me,"What's wrong?"

My mother said that she always tried to keep a little smile on her face (I couldn't be bothered with that!)

I eventually had a little plastic surgery (*not* the Hollywood kind), and it must have gotten rid of whatever made me always look pissed off. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

It is an inappropriate comment.

Years ago when I worked at McDonald's, a customer said my voice "sounds like a tape recorder". I was pissed, and more than person thought I was overreacting. Maybe I was, but he still didn't have to say it. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

On another message board I visit one of the regulars has posted a few times that she has been in very poor health over the last year with a recurrence of the cancer that she had beaten in the past.  She was recently hospitalized and made a few posts that made it sound like she was not doing well, She hasn't posted in over two weeks now - which is very much not like her.  I am assuming that she may have died, or is near death.  The reason I am putting this in pet peeves is you end up making connections with total strangers on message boards and if the worst were to happen you will probably never know about it😔.

• Sad 23
On 5/19/2024 at 7:40 AM, Browncoat said:

Vermont Country Store has some in 100% woven cotton seersucker.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 5/19/2024 at 6:05 PM, oliviabenson said:

I wear men’s pajamas. They are loose and comfy. 

On 5/19/2024 at 12:45 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Or if you wants short "bottoms", just look for men's extra small boxers (or boys' large).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have obviously been misinformed re: the difference between boxers and briefs!

Those are a hybrid: boxer-briefs (long like boxers, but tight like briefs).

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Those are a hybrid: boxer-briefs (long like boxers, but tight like briefs).

Yes, I should have said, those look like boxer briefs but definitely not “boxer shorts” as the description says. 

When I think of boxer shorts I think of something like this:

image.png.1da3c1bbb4738602678bd08d497cdea1.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Just started working part time at a locally owned grocery store a couple weeks ago (wanted to make extra money and get out of the house), and it’s definitely people who come in before closing and expect a whole slew of employees still available to cater to them. 

My store is open until 9 and they always take the last cashier off their line at 8:50  and leave self checkout open for the last 10 minutes. Whoever is working the courtesy desk will also make multiple announcements starting at 8:40, usually like “Attention XYZ shoppers it is now (time) and our last cashier will be leaving at 8:50 and we close at 9.” This continues every five minutes until the store closes. (At 8:55 they switch to saying they close at 9, come to self checkout, last call etc.) So tonight I had just rang up a really big order and turned off the light on my register and a customer came through and me and a supervisor explained we were closed and directed him to self checkout. He had a fit and huffed out of the store without buying anything and left his cart in the aisle.

I get that some people don’t like self checkout for reasons but is it really that big of a deal to be asked to ring out there when the store is about to close? The people I work with know I have another job; I want to go home too. I don’t understand why you’d walk into a grocery store less than 30 minutes before closing and expect a line of cashiers open like it’s Sunday morning. We have a chain store in the area open until midnight you can go there! A grown man acting like a toddler over being told we’re closing up….crazy…

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
On 5/19/2024 at 3:45 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I'd love to find shortie pj's that don't have "bootie shorts"!

A couple of years ago, my brother and his wife gifted my then 74 year old mother a pajama set for Christmas. It was one gift of many, but it was a set that you could “combine”. The way I cackled when we opened the gift after getting home to find booty shorts for her. She absolutely wanted to wear them in the middle of the winter. I ended up stashing them away and found them last week as we are preparing to move. So she is enjoying them again, lol.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2024 at 4:56 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Same, but it night be what you are watching. Their algorithm   I’m getting targeted with other types of ads. 

P.S. When do I close the account so I can get another year for .99 per month? 

Cancel before the promo ends. Get a new email and different CC and sign up when new promo starts? That’s what I do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/19/2024 at 3:45 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Does any store cater to women over 50?? Inquiring minds want to know 😎

I've noticed that clothing is either for 15-30 year olds or 60-80 year olds. The in between ages seem to be forgotten. Jeans, shorts, shirts, dresses, they are either too "sexy" or too "dowdy". I have to hunt for something that covers my butt and my belly while not looking like a frump. Frustrating.

On 5/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, BlueSkies said:

I have also been told my normal/neutral face looks "mad"....by my husband. One night we were out at a bar with friends and I was just listening to the conversation around me, my husband, in front of everyone said "why do you look so angry?". Let's just say the conversation on the way home was a bit heated. I told him I cannot help what my face "looks like" but him making it a point to call it out was rude. Thankfully one of my friends spoke up and said "she's not mad, she's concentrating hard!" and got a laugh from everyone, me included. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

I've noticed that clothing is either for 15-30 year olds or 60-80 year olds. The in between ages seem to be forgotten. Jeans, shorts, shirts, dresses, they are either too "sexy" or too "dowdy". I have to hunt for something that covers my butt and my belly while not looking like a frump. Frustrating.

I have also been told my normal/neutral face looks "mad"....by my husband. One night we were out at a bar with friends and I was just listening to the conversation around me, my husband, in front of everyone said "why do you look so angry?". Let's just say the conversation on the way home was a bit heated. I told him I cannot help what my face "looks like" but him making it a point to call it out was rude. Thankfully one of my friends spoke up and said "she's not mad, she's concentrating hard!" and got a laugh from everyone, me included. 

That’s a good friend you have.  Comebacks have never really been my strength 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

@BlueSkies same, I always think of a good comeback the next day. Especially when at the moment I'm usually dumbstruck by the person's comment.

I should add that my husband wasn't trying to be mean, he's just clueless. I told him if he ever felt the need to tell me to "relax" my face to just nudge me. As I've gotten older I'm aware my face can have a frowny look, it's not intentional and there's not much I can do about it. 

Peeved at work today: someone reheated fish in the microwave, it has permeated the entire office. 🤑

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Angry 3