Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

My sleep and eating patterns have been off the last few days.  As a result a bit on the tmi side now but I haven't had a good dump in a while.

As a result my stomach feels bloated.  

I hate that. Usually a dose of magnesium solves it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hate that. Usually a dose of magnesium solves it.

I second that!  I recently started taking magnesium every night before bed and it really helps.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm similar, I usually assume people who are intentionally vague are talking about me, even if it doesn't make much sense. Is that a sign of being self-centered for me? Maybe 😅.

In my case, though, based on specific prior and relevant experience I won't go into here I had reason to think it might be me.  

In that case the old saying applies that you're not paranoid if they really ARE out to get you! 😉

• LOL 2
On 5/6/2024 at 12:36 AM, Anela said:

Same here. I didn't think about it this time, because I haven't been here. 

Is it ME? I guess I always think this too! Oh boy.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Peeve: smells that I don’t “authorize”! I have always had a crazy sense of smell, even when I smoked, and it seems to have increased. The unauthorized smells are not even always bad, necessarily, but I can’t not notice them — neighbors cooking (we’re in a condo), my own food sometimes, the slightest garlic in the refrigerator, weed (not mine), my BFs face wash. On top of that, no cross breeze; all of our windows are on the same side of the place and unless it’s extra breezy, it never really flows through. So I guess my own nose is a peeve too!

I don’t love using a lot of candles and air fresheners because it’s too hard to keep track of what might be bad for the cats. That said, though, now that I think about this, does anyone know from experience of a small and effective but not wildly expensive or complicated air cleaner? Maybe that would help — or at least make me think it’s helping, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1

I’m trying to fix my sleep schedule.  I had three hours of sleep. My eyes are finally open more, but my head is hurting   

I was watching Lost, binging for the first time in years, and imagining TikTok, if it premiered now, instead of twenty years ago.  I think the binge helped with a brain reset.  

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Peeve: smells that I don’t “authorize”! I have always had a crazy sense of smell, even when I smoked, and it seems to have increased. The unauthorized smells are not even always bad, necessarily, but I can’t not notice them — neighbors cooking (we’re in a condo), my own food sometimes, the slightest garlic in the refrigerator, weed (not mine), my BFs face wash. On top of that, no cross breeze; all of our windows are on the same side of the place and unless it’s extra breezy, it never really flows through. So I guess my own nose is a peeve too!

I don’t love using a lot of candles and air fresheners because it’s too hard to keep track of what might be bad for the cats. That said, though, now that I think about this, does anyone know from experience of a small and effective but not wildly expensive or complicated air cleaner? Maybe that would help — or at least make me think it’s helping, haha!

TrueAir...Complete For Pet Owners. I have several in our house. They're small but clean the air in the rooms that aren't huge. For our great room, I got a Progressive 35. It has the hepa filter in it and the pre-filter. Got them all at Amazon.

• Useful 4
28 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

OOOH, LEMME LOOK -- thanks! Does it work without adding a new smell? 

I sure think so. And before our daughter & family arrive, we put one of the air purifiers in the guest room & let it run a few days. She used to start sneezing a few hours after arrival (allergic to cats). But once we had the air purifiers running, she felt much better. Also, if there's a cooking odor (e.g , from the grillade), I turn a couple of them on. We aren't totally open concept but those odors can fly around the main level and also float up to the open upper hall. I've been very happy with them.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

My sleep and eating patterns have been off the last few days.  As a result a bit on the tmi side now but I haven't had a good dump in a while.

As a result my stomach feels bloated.  

1 small can of prune juice will help.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

1 small can of prune juice will help.

In addition to the magnesium I also eat two dried prunes a day, one in the morning and one after dinner.  I also take fiber supplements.  It probably sounds like too much but in my case it's about right for me.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I add vegetarian enzymes to water, or a small yogurt.  That sometimes helps.  

I’ve been adding a bone supplement to kefir, or yogurt, and using a milk frothed when I add it to kefir.   I accidentally added three capsules of a cheaper mag07 (designed to clean you out), last night. That’s been fun.  
 Triphala might help.  I have tri-cleanse that I add to apple juice, when I remember to use it, and that is gentle on the system, without leaving the body dependent on it. 

Edited by Anela
  • Useful 2

Guys saying that I need to smile or asking if I'm okay when I'm perfectly fine just minding my business.

If you want an excuse to talk to me, just say hello, maybe how are you. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Guys saying that I need to smile

As soon as I saw the video many years ago, I stole this as my opening response when I'm in the mood to challenge rather than ignore:

-Do I know you?
-[Some variation on no, or maybe a blank stare or stammering, in which case I fill in the no]
-But you're telling me what to do with my face?

The ensuing exchange often winds up ending as infuriating as it started, but sometimes it's simultaneously entertaining, and every once in a great while there seems to at least be the possibility for later self-reflection based on the look on his face before he slinked off/I walked away.

(The "Women everywhere -- a random man has life advice" summons is my second-favorite part.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 10
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1

My phone battery has refused to charge recently.  Dad got it going with another cord, last week, but it refused again tonight.  It finally started to charge when I put it in low power mode, but it says that it’s significantly degraded.  

• Sad 4
22 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Guys saying that I need to smile or asking if I'm okay when I'm perfectly fine just minding my business.

If you want an excuse to talk to me, just say hello, maybe how are you. 

"You should smile more, then you would be more attractive for men."

"You mean, men like you would find me more attractive and talked to me more?"

"Yes!"

"Thanks, I think I'm fine then."

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

I have never been tempted to tell someone to "smile". I've also never been tempted to rearrange another person's collar (or any other part of their clothing). So, who died and gave some folks permission to say or do these things? 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've also never been tempted to rearrange another person's collar (or any other part of their clothing).

Oh I’ve definitely been tempted. But unless that person was a spouse or child, I’ve managed to resist. 

I did once, at an early morning swim practice, quietly let another mom know that her shirt was inside out. I believe she was appreciative. 

• Like 7
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh I’ve definitely been tempted. But unless that person was a spouse or child, I’ve managed to resist. 

I did once, at an early morning swim practice, quietly let another mom know that her shirt was inside out. I believe she was appreciative. 

I do that or say toilet paper stuck to your shoes or something. 

Or your bag is open. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I do that or say toilet paper stuck to your shoes or something. 

Or your bag is open. 

Isn't the rule that if the person can do something about it at the time (shirt inside out) you should but if it's something they can't fix (hole in sweater) you don't?

Massive peeve! My computer went kablooey this morning and after re-starting it several times, I lost my ad blocker. I guess I'll call my son later and see if he can walk me through fixing it. 🤔

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Useful 1

Tag hanging out of back of shirt. If I know the person I tell them. If not then I don't. But it bugs me. Lol

• Like 4

Gillian Anderson had a funny story many years ago about Posh Spice being in front of her at an event, and one part of the back of her collar was sticking up, so Gillian thought she'd be nice and pat that down for her, but it turned out to be a deliberate fashion choice so she got the stink eye.

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Gillian Anderson had a funny story many years ago about Posh Spice being in front of her at an event, and one part of the back of her collar was sticking up, so Gillian thought she'd be nice and pat that down for her, but it turned out to be a deliberate fashion choice so she got the stink eye.

...and learned to NEVER mess with Victoria Beckham (was she a Beckham yet when it happened?)!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, PRgal said:

(was she a Beckham yet when it happened?)!

I know David Beckham was there, because Gillian mentioned how handsome he is, but have no idea if he and Posh Spice were married yet.

• Like 3
(edited)

You've reminded me of a peeve. Not directly about David Beckham because I couldn't pick him out of a line-up but there are allegedly handsome men I think are not. The prime examples for me are Clark Gable and JFK. I don't understand how either of them is considered handsome. IMO, not only are they not objectively handsome but also not hot. And yet apparently they are dreamboats to others.

Edited because I can't stop. The thing is, even when an actor or public figure doesn't appeal to me, I can at least understand why they might make others squee. But those two... I just don't get.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
13 minutes ago, ABay said:

You've reminded me of a peeve. Not directly about David Beckham because I couldn't pick him out of a line-up but there are allegedly handsome men I think are not. The prime examples for me are Clark Gable and JFK. I don't understand how either of them is considered handsome. IMO, not only are they not objectively handsome but also not hot. And yet apparently they are dreamboats to others.

Edited because I can't stop. The thing is, even when an actor or public figure doesn't appeal to me, I can at least understand why they might make others squee. But those two... I just don't get.

Oh, I get Clarke Gable because when I was around 12, I read Gone With the Wind and he was exactly how I pictured Rhett Butler. JFK? I don't get that one either.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I think for JFK, it was because he was young and only that.  Though Bill Clinton was only a couple of years older and people didn’t say HE was handsome.  Now Obama, on the other hand…let’s just say Michelle is one lucky lady.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

The prime examples for me are Clark Gable and JFK. I don't

JFK died long before I was born but I‘ve always thought he was really good looking.   His son on the other hand I never found attractive.   

6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Though Bill Clinton was only a couple of years older and people didn’t say HE was handsome

I don’t know, I’ve always kind of thought Clinton was attractive. 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

JFK? I don't get that one either.

I do think he was a handsome man, but I think it was more what he represented.  Youth and hopefulness and a touch of glamour.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Adam Driver. Ryan Gosling. Jensen Ackles. 

I. Just. Don't. See. It. There are several other celebrities that I don't find at all attractive but I can understand it from an objective point of view, but for the above (and maybe some others that I can't remember right now), I am just like, what am I supposed to see here?

From the older generation, Richard Burton. Looked like someone who just woke up after a week-long drinking binge, IMO.

YMMV 🤷‍♀️

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I. Just. Don't. See. It. There are several other celebrities that I don't find at all attractive but I can understand it from an objective point of view, but for the above (and maybe some others that I can't remember right now), I am just like, what am I supposed to see here?

From the older generation, Richard Burton. Looked like someone who just woke up after a week-long drinking binge, IMO.

YMMV 🤷‍♀️

Richard Burton drank?

• Wink 2
  • LOL 17

Ryan Gosling and Jensen are just too pretty. So is Henry Caville. And Chris Hensworth is too pretty too. 

Very pretty guys do nothing for me.

Now Jason Momoa holy cow I melt lol.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Isn't the rule that if the person can do something about it at the time (shirt inside out) you should but if it's something they can't fix (hole in sweater) you don't?

Massive peeve! My computer went kablooey this morning and after re-starting it several times, I lost my ad blocker. I guess I'll call my son later and see if he can walk me through fixing it. 🤔

This morning, I accidentally opened a small window on safari, on my iPad.  I tried to merge it with the rest of my tabs, and instead, it lost everything.  😑 I found some through the browser history, but lost things I really wanted to get back to.  

• Sad 7
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

YMMV 🤷‍♀️

You're thinking of him in his post-Cleopatra years. Richard Burton was gorgeous before alcoholism destroyed his looks forever.

ogiatliy5g821.jpg

• Like 10

I’m still getting the occasional blue screen on my computer, and my phone has all sorts of issues.  

• Sad 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Richard Burton drank?

One could almost say that he was Douglas Fairbanks,Sr. and W.C. Fields's love child. .

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Yeah, I'm not attracted to those guys, either. I think the fact that people act like it's just a given that women will go for men like that also doesn't help, 'cause...no? But yeah, there's a lot of those kinds of guys that the public at large just seems to fawn over and I'm over here like, *Shrug*. 

Mind, I fully acknowledge some of the kinds of guys I go for would get the same reaction from othersi n turn, so...:p. But yeah. It's interesting what will and won't tick people's personal list of attractive qualities/traits sometimes. 

56 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Now Jason Momoa holy cow I melt lol.

I'm not into him, either - I've just never gone for super beefy-looking guys - but anytime I see his name now I can't help but smile a bit 'cause it makes me think of Alberta's crush on him on "Ghosts", LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, partofme said:

JFK died long before I was born but I‘ve always thought he was really good looking.   His son on the other hand I never found attractive.   

Same here although I remember JFK and the coverage of his death vividly.  He died when I was 5 but he was like a hero to many Americans.  My parents had his and Jackie's photo up in our house.  He made such an impression on me that it determined my "type" for the rest of my life.  It's probably no accident that my husband is of Irish/English descent.  

I also never found his son attractive.  I thought he was objectively good looking, just not my type.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

For handsome/hot olden day actors:  Paul Newman.  That is all.  

I actually preferred Steve McQueen, especially in "The Thomas Crown Affair". 😉 Newman didn't make me swoon like he did, although I did like him too.  I also liked Robert Redford back in the day but that cooled over time.  I never cooled on Steve.  🥰

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I actually preferred Steve McQueen, especially in "The Thomas Crown Affair". 😉 Newman didn't make me swoon like he did, although I did like him too.  I also liked Robert Redford back in the day but that cooled over time.  I never cooled on Steve.  🥰

Oh golly, I watch Wanted: Dead or Alive every Sat. Just to see Steve McQueen before he became a movie star. He had this really funny horse on the show that was always pulling stunts on him. I love watching the horse fuck with him and he's so good humored about it. He said in an interview that he'd never get rid of that horse, even though the producers offered to replace him because the horse had so much personality.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

For handsome/hot olden day actors:  Paul Newman.  That is all.  

Absolutely.  If I'd been a teen back in the day his poster would definitely have been up on my wall!

• Like 4

Aaarrggghhh! I am losing my mind from all these ads. Since I lost my ad block (which my son is going to fix) I'm seeing ads everywhere but this site is, hands down the absolute worst for it. How do people without ad blockers stand it?

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

How do people without ad blockers stand it?

I won't access this site anywhere but on my laptop anymore.  Otherwise, sooner or later, this big black wheel (?) thing comes over the whole page and says something like "rotate this" or some such.  I have no idea what they expect me to actually do but what I usually did was close it down!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Aaarrggghhh! I am losing my mind from all these ads. Since I lost my ad block (which my son is going to fix) I'm seeing ads everywhere but this site is, hands down the absolute worst for it. How do people without ad blockers stand it?

I am pretty much only on here when I am supposed to be working. I have ad block on my desktop, but not on my phone.  I know it is possible to put it on my phone, but I have not bothered to do so.  I do try to limit my screen time when I am off the clock.  

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I've got Duck Duck Go on my desktop computers (home and office) and my ipad.  It's been a breeze on this site since I installed them.  Duck Duck Go was recommended by others here.  Is that what you had before? 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I've got Duck Duck Go on my desktop computers (home and office) and my ipad.  It's been a breeze on this site since I installed them.  Duck Duck Go was recommended by others here.  Is that what you had before? 

I have Chrome but my computer had some weird problems the other day. I got it running again but I lost my ad block. My son is going to fix it, he says there's a strong push right now to stymie ad blockers so he said he may have to jump through some hoops to get it back. I'll ask him about Duck Duck Go. Thanks!

• Like 2