Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love rock and as long as there are rock bands, I'll listen to that. The first thing I ever bought with my own money was a Beatles 45. Lol, I guess my taste solidified in 2nd grade.

I didn't really have my own money in third grade (February 1964, to be exact) but somehow I acquired "Meet the Beatles," their first album.  I also had Beatle cards and a Beatle pin.  I guess my mother took pity on me. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

I recently read an article that said studies have shown that for most people their musical taste solidifies while they are in their teens and that even into adulthood and middle age this is the music you still prefer.  This is certainly true for me.

Not for me; I listened to a lot of glam metal and heavy metal back then, and hardly ever listen to any of that now, especially heavy metal.

1 hour ago, Dimity said:

Other studies suggest  that people stop listening to new music when they are around 30.  Somewhat true for me although a little drastic. 

Yeah, somewhat true for me, too -- even now I haven't stopped listening to new music, but I know far less current music than I did when I was young.  Whenever there's a music category on Jeopardy, I cross my fingers most of the clues are about songs before 2000, or at least before 2010.

• Like 4

When I was a kid, I not only listened to R&R--I also listened to my dad's (a professional musician) albums: Ray Anthony, Glenn Miller, Jackie Gleason (really! beautiful instrumental versions of Xmas music), etc.  Geez, I can't remember the other big band albums.  Every once in a while, a song will enter my brain and I'll think: wow--we late 50's/early 60's kids listened to a wide variety of music on our Top 40 stations (at least in the metro NYC area). Do any boomer New Yorkers remember the "Uh-oh" song? Our stations (e.g., WABC, WINS, etc,) played Steve & Edie, Ferrante & Teicher, various instrumental pieces. *And* each record was identified. When did radio stations stop identifying the records' talents?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Not for me; I listened to a lot of glam metal and heavy metal back then, and hardly ever listen to any of that now, especially heavy metal.

Yeah, somewhat true for me, too -- even now I haven't stopped listening to new music, but I know far less current music than I did when I was young.  Whenever there's a music category on Jeopardy, I cross my fingers most of the clues are about songs before 2000, or at least before 2010.

I influenced my son't musical tastes by playing a lot of my stuff when he was small and then the tables were turned some time when he was in high school. When I was teaching him to drive, he was really into Linkin Park. We must have listened to Hybrid Theory and Meteora one hundred times. Which was fine with me.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I was a kid, I not only listened to R&R--I also listened to my dad's (a professional musician) albums: Ray Anthony, Glenn Miller, Jackie Gleason (really! beautiful instrumental versions of Xmas music), etc.  Geez, I can't remember the other big band albums.  Every once in a while, a song will enter my brain and I'll think: wow--we late 50's/early 60's kids listened to a wide variety of music on our Top 40 stations (at least in the metro NYC area). Do any boomer New Yorkers remember the "Uh-oh" song? Our stations (e.g., WABC, WINS, etc,) played Steve & Edie, Ferrante & Teicher, various instrumental pieces. *And* each record was identified. When did radio stations stop identifying the records' talents?

Local New Yorker here, and yes, I remember the Uh-Oh song.  What a funny one to remember.  Cousin Brucie, anyone?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I influenced my son't musical tastes by playing a lot of my stuff when he was small and then the tables were turned some time when he was in high school.

When I wanted to get even with my kids for inflicting their music on me I'd crank up Bob Dylan and let them have it.  I'd love to report that this backfired and they grew to appreciate Dylan an similar artists but that would be a big old lie.

• Like 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you referring to LOL, IMO, NIMBY, etc?

Those I can manage, but not the ones for shows I don't watch.  

3 hours ago, Dimity said:

We PVR SNL (two acronyms for the price of one!) for our daughter and most of the time I haven't got the slightest idea who the host is let alone the musical guest.  On the other hand I have gotten awfully good at going on youtube to find videos and recently looked for  the Blues Brothers and stumbled across Steve Martin singing King Tut  so there's that 🙂.

No idea what PVR SNL is. 

Edited by Ancaster
Because my original response made no sense!
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Such as idea what PVR SNL is. 

A PVR is a recorder, SNL is Saturday Night Live -- they record Saturday Night Live for their daughter.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Those I can manage, but not the ones for shows I don't watch.  

You're kind of making my point here - 

No idea what PVR SNL is. 

Dang--I tried to find out what the hey this means but there are way too many explanations, some medically professional.

• Like 2

I'm in my 60s and have very little knowledge of any music from the past 20 years or so.  I used to listen to the radio in the car a lot, but then started listening to sports talk and now I listen to CDs.  Mostly from the 60's & 70's.  My favorites include Queen, James Taylor, the Eagles, Harry Chapin, George Harrison, John Denver, Carole King, the Who, Earth Wind & Fire, CCR, Steve Miller, Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, the Doobie Brothers.  I also listen to a lot of big band and standards -  Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett, Benny Goodman, etc.  And I like some classic country.  

I have a friend who subscribes to People magazine; she gives it to me when she's finished.  Some issues I can buzz through in just a few minutes since I don't know who any of these reality stars and singers are.  It's just one of the regular affirmations that I am old!  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 4/22/2024 at 9:03 AM, Jeeves said:

• You are summoned, and show up on the appointed day.
  • If by the end of that day you are not sitting in a courtroom involved in a case (either already selected for a jury or in the midst of jury selection) - you are DONESO. For the next 12 months. 
  • If you're in a courtroom at the end of day one and are selected for the jury, then of course you must serve for the length of the trial and deliberations. If you're in a courtroom at the end of day one and jury selection isn't completed, and you are eventually not selected to serve as a juror in that case, then you are done with jury duty for 12 months.

DONESO?

On 4/22/2024 at 9:08 AM, andromeda331 said:

I made it as far as the jury box I assumed I'd get picked because I was unemployed. But I got dimissed after the defense lawyer asked me if rape could ever be consential. Ah, hell no.

My parents' both serviced. My mom twice once for traffic violations and one for a DUI. My dad served on a murder trial. They both found ended up liking the experience. It was neat to see what a real trial was like. It was really, really hard not to ask my dad questions while he served. 

Serviced is a little unfortunate given the context.

• LOL 4
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A PVR is a recorder, SNL is Saturday Night Live -- they record Saturday Night Live for their daughter.

Lol, PVR is one of those acronyms that wasn’t around for very long, IME (in my experience). Personal Video Recorder?  People might be more familiar with DVR or even “tape”. 

But SNL has been around since the mid-70s, FWIW. (Sorry, for what it’s worth.)

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
10 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

DONESO  aka done-zo. It's just slang for being done with something. 

It appears I'm officially old.  😂

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Local New Yorker here, and yes, I remember the Uh-Oh song.  What a funny one to remember.  Cousin Brucie, anyone?

The Uh-Oh song, is that "I ran all the way home just to say that I'm sorry"?

I remember a number of songs from the 60s, some from the albums my older siblings would buy, some from the radio.   I had a clock radio in my bedroom and could listen to WABC and WMCA in their heyday.

Then in 1980s WCBS FM in New York would bring back a lot of classics going back the 50s, it's such a shame there's no station in the city that features that music anymore, young people seem to love "retro" things and I think it would get an audience. (I guess no local oldies station is my pet peeve.)

Does anyone else remember the novelty songs?  There was  one "They're Coming to Take Me Away" which apparently went to the top of the charts until it was withdrawn from the radio as people felt it was offensive to those with mental illness.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I remember all those @roseha.

I believe the Uh-Oh song being referred to was a weird novelty number in the 60s, and I can't find a video of it.  It goes something like "Uh-ee-uh-uh-uh-oh, uh-ho, uh-oh."  I think it has nothing else throughout the whole song.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Not to be too flippant, but Google is free. 

Not to be too flippant, but Google is not free.  You may not be paying anything out of pocket, but you're definitely paying.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Not to be too flippant, but Google is not free.  You may not be paying anything out of pocket, but you're definitely paying.

Oh right. “'if you're not paying for the product, you are the product'”

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, roseha said:

Then in 1980s WCBS FM in New York would bring back a lot of classics going back the 50s, it's such a shame there's no station in the city that features that music anymore, young people seem to love "retro" things and I think it would get an audience. (I guess no local oldies station is my pet peeve.)

I'm 39, and there is so much music from the '60s and '70s (and even earlier, in some cases) that I really like. There's a local AM oldies radio station here that my mom and I like to listen to often that plays a lot of that kind of stuff. In my case, I just point to my parents as to why I have an appreciation for music from those decades - some of the first music I remember hearing as a kid was all the '60s and '70s stuff my parents used to play around the house. I have many fond memories of Saturday evenings with my dad playing DJ and throwing on some records, or listening to my mom's mix tapes in the car on road trips, all containing music from those decades. 

Does anyone else remember the novelty songs?  There was  one "They're Coming to Take Me Away" which apparently went to the top of the charts until it was withdrawn from the radio as people felt it was offensive to those with mental illness.

I remember hearing that song on some syndicated oldies program as a kid, and it always freaked me out a bit :p. The sirens combined with the maniacal tone of the guy's voice...kinda creepy. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

PVR was being used as a verb in that sentence, so it made it more confusing for someone who knew neither abbreviation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  The Internet is not free (unless you are using WIFI in a public place and even then someone is paying) but unless you are paying  for premium access I'd describe any site I can access as free.

• Like 3

I believe the Uh-Oh song being referred to was a weird novelty number in the 60s, and I can't find a video of it.  It goes something like "Uh-ee-uh-uh-uh-oh, uh-ho, uh-oh."  I think it has nothing else throughout the whole song.

Yup. It was basically an instrumental piece, except for a woman voicing, "uh-ee-uh-oh uh oh..." etc.  I've felt badly for all the kids who never got to enjoy wailing away from the backseat songs like, the Witch Doctor, Purple People-eater, Monster Mash, Beep Beep, Hello Muddah (hello faddah), Mr. Custer, Stranded in the Jungle, Alley Oop, etc. Great way to drive one's mom crazy 😁

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Great way to drive one's mom crazy 😁

The novelty song that was big when my kids were small was "This is the song that never ends" (IIRC originally sung by Shari Lewis, but could be wrong on that) and they weren't kidding.  I didn't mind it but my husband made a rule that it could not be sung on long car rides after one particularly fraught journey.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup. It was basically an instrumental piece, except for a woman voicing, "uh-ee-uh-oh uh oh..." etc.  I've felt badly for all the kids who never got to enjoy wailing away from the backseat songs like, the Witch Doctor, Purple People-eater, Monster Mash, Beep Beep, Hello Muddah (hello faddah), Mr. Custer, Stranded in the Jungle, Alley Oop, etc. Great way to drive one's mom crazy 😁

I think you've got it on the Uh-oh song.  I sang it for my husband, and he remembers it too, but he can't remember the name or artist.

• Like 2
(edited)

A peeve I’ve had for as long as I can remember — literally since I was a little kid:

When people, in real life and on TV, recount something a child says, they almost always start with, “Mommy, mommy!” I can’t remember ever hearing a real-life kid do this. And I didn’t say that when I was one! I remember being super pissed off at my mom when I heard her telling someone about something I’d said and tacking on that ridiculous “Mommy, mommy!”

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dimity said:

The novelty song that was big when my kids were small was "This is the song that never ends" (IIRC originally sung by Shari Lewis, but could be wrong on that) and they weren't kidding.  I didn't mind it but my husband made a rule that it could not be sung on long car rides after one particularly fraught journey.

I never heard of this one before.  I just looked it up.  It's horrible!  Worse than 99 Bottles of Beer.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

One could walk into any public library and get at least 15 minutes on a computer to look up anything on Google, so it could be free.  Google cannot sell that data from a public computer 

And we are all on a website discussing stuff, a quick Google search is not costing us anything.  We have all already ceded whatever it is tha Google could possibly extract from us by being on here. 

• Like 3

I have to admit @EtheltoTillie that that one doesn't ring a bell at all.  I guess there were some I never heard growing up that CBS FM didn't include on their revival playlist.

I do remember some reactions I used to have hearing songs for the first time, for instance the Kink's "Well Respected Man".  I would have been pretty young and I remember thinking why are they making fun of the hero?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Nothing good on the radio anymore.  I have all my favorites on my private collection on You Tube.  I listen at night with my headphones.  Montovani, Ray Connif, Brenda Lee, Elvis, Roy Orbison, etc, etc.  A mix of all different types of music.  I have at least 150 of my favorites starting when I was a teen, up until now.  So many groups from the sixties and thereafter.

• Like 2

Brenda Lee! We heard her songs on Top 40 even though she was country. And I remember thinking...geez--she's just a kid with such a grown-up, powerful voice. "All Alone Am I" and "Sweet Nothin's"...incredible that a teenager was singing these songs, but sounding like an adult. 

• Like 3

Patsy Cline, “Sweet Dreams”.  So many great Country singers.  

Dusty Springfield singing “All I See is You”.   Play it on u tube.  My very favorite.

• Like 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Patsy Cline, “Sweet Dreams”.  So many great Country singers.  

Dusty Springfield singing “All I See is You”.   Play it on u tube.  My very favorite.

Sounds much better with headphones.  All I see is you has a Karaoke version which is fantastic.   Brenda Lee, “Losing you”.

Edited by kristen111
13 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I think Bob's Red Mill is glyphosate-free.

I didn't see glyphosate-free on the bag in store. I will see what I can find online about it. Thank you!

• Like 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I didn't see glyphosate-free on the bag in store. I will see what I can find online about it. Thank you!

You're welcome!  (I'd never heard of glyphosate before your post; is it usually listed?)

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

You're welcome!  (I'd never heard of glyphosate before your post; is it usually listed?)

I think the few brands that are glyphosate-free list it on the packaging. One Degree for example has it on the front of the bag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Cousin Brucie. Such a powerful voice. He always had funny phrases like, "A ringy dingy cha cha cha". WABC had contests & I was one of many who won a prize. Since we were 50 miles north of the city, I gave it to a cousin who lived in the Bronx (2 free passes to some show). Just thought of another DJ: at WINS, Murray D Kay???  It's amazing how little nuggets from the old days resurface 😁. But those guys made it fun for kids listening to their stations. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, roseha said:

I even know all the lyrics to sing along to it. That and Lunatic Fringe were played regularly in the middle of the night when I was young and turned my radio on because I couldn’t sleep. My favourite novelty song though is Star Trekkin!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Caoimhe said:

I even know all the lyrics to sing along to it. That and Lunatic Fringe were played regularly in the middle of the night when I was young and turned my radio on because I couldn’t sleep. My favourite novelty song though is Star Trekkin!

We used to have a radio station here in Seattle called Kid Star. My son was allowed to listen to the radio in bed and he listened every night. Before long it was a pre-set on my car radio. They played that song, tons of "Weird: Al Yankovich, Spike Jones and all sorts of novelty songs. We actually took the kid to see "Weird" Al twice. He put on a full tilt rock and roll show. It was so much fun.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Lol, PVR is one of those acronyms that wasn’t around for very long, IME (in my experience). Personal Video Recorder?  People might be more familiar with DVR or even “tape”. 

But SNL has been around since the mid-70s, FWIW. (Sorry, for what it’s worth.)

PVR is used more in Canada.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
(edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 3:51 PM, peacheslatour said:

The first thing I ever bought with my own money was a Beatles 45.

Me, too - Paul McCartney's Uncle Albert.  Except it didn't last long because I left it on the record player and the sun came through the window and warped it pretty good.

I have learned some newer songs/groups because music is played on the loudspeaker all day at work.  Management finally found a station that plays all types of music since our employees are aged anywhere from 18-70.  The one song that always sends me screaming into the bathroom is "Sending You an SOS".   The same phrase repeated over and over and over.  Just send the damn thing!

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

Me, too - Paul McCartney's Uncle Albert.  Except it didn't last long because I left it on the record player and the sun came through the window and warped it pretty good.

I have learned some newer songs/groups because music is played on the loudspeaker all day at work.  Management finally found a station that plays all types of music since our employees are aged anywhere from 18-70.  The one song that always send me screaming into the bathroom is "Sending You an SOS".   The same phrase repeated over and over and over.  Just send the damn thing!

I banned Van Halen in my flower shop.

• Wink 1
(edited)

I am old.  I still love vintage music from decades past.  My over all favorites include Queen, The Eagles, Van Morrison, Linda Ronstadt. Billy Joel.  However, I love what I consider the best of current music such as from Cage the Elephant, The Avett Brothers, The Felice Brothers, Mumford and Sons, Lake Street Dive.  I listen online to WDST Radio Woodstock which has the best of classic and new.

There is so much music being produced that is just awful, but I don't know of any time there wasn't absolute crap that was popular.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 4
6 minutes ago, Suzn said:

There is so much music being produced that is just awful, but I don't know of any time there wasn't absolute crap that was popular.

This. This is one reason of many why I refuse to subscribe to the "There's no good music being made anymore" mindset (the big one being that it's just not true). People have said that about every decade of music, and every generation has songs from their time periods that were just...not...good. There's also the fact that the way music is distributed and played nowadays is so vastly different from how it was done in previous decades, so I think people just need to to do a little more searching to find new stuff that appeals to them as a result. 

To say nothing of how what "good music" is is subjective. Just because someone might personally not care for an artist's music, that doesn't mean said artist's music is automatically bad. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

I've seen a similar point being made about movies. That we remember the classics because they were the best, but that there was a lot of crappy movies that most people don't even know nowadays, except some movie enthusiasts. So we pay more attention to the mediocre movies now because we simply see more of them, but good movies are still being made as well. Also, people now complain a lot about blockbusters, but there were eras of westerns, action flicks, etc., so again nothing really new.

• Like 3