Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

When I told the pressurer I have autism he actually backed off me.  Up until that point he was following and walking right after me.

Your point reminded me of an argument I got into with someone a few years ago.  We were talking about the way tourists get targeted in terms of scammers and this person basically said they weren't going to shed any tears because "rich" tourists ended up getting conned out of a few dollars by needy people.  

I won't get into a debate about what constitutes needy and whether that makes lying and scamming ok, what I took issue with was the idea that if someone is a tourist they must be rich.  This comes up in other contexts too and it drives me wild.  For many, especially a trip to Europe, is a once in a lifetime thing.  They may have saved for years - or will be paying off the trip for years - they are not always, or even usually, rich!

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, Bethany said:

Your point reminded me of an argument I got into with someone a few years ago.  We were talking about the way tourists get targeted in terms of scammers and this person basically said they weren't going to shed any tears because "rich" tourists ended up getting conned out of a few dollars by needy people.  

I won't get into a debate about what constitutes needy and whether that makes lying and scamming ok, what I took issue with was the idea that if someone is a tourist they must be rich.  This comes up in other contexts too and it drives me wild.  For many, especially a trip to Europe, is a once in a lifetime thing.  They may have saved for years - or will be paying off the trip for years - they are not always, or even usually, rich!

The biggest thing that bothered me about these scammers was violating my personal space.  That and making projective comments to me involving race which I didnt even post here because of how abrasive it was to me.  It didnt have anything to do with money.  

But yeah I hear you as well.  I'm very much a person that doesn't like to assume anything about someone based on this or that factor.  

• Sad 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Ads on this site that make you want to throw up when you’re scrolling through a forum . I don’t know why they can’t be getting rid of people have been complaining for years.
Here’s an example.:

IMG_0630.jpeg

Yeah, there is a whole bunch of those gross Diabetes ads. I can't figure out what most of the items are and even if I could, they don't look like anything I'd ever put in my mouth. And I have Diabetes!! Sure didn't get it from any of those gross things.  Most make my skin crawl and I wish they would go away forever!!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bethany said:

The worst experience I had in this regard was in Paris and especially at the Eiffel Tower.  People aggressively begging and scamming.  It got so bad at one point there we found a police officer and went to stand near him while we waited for our friends to arrive.  They see tourist written across your forehead and they will not let up.

We had Roma begging in front of Notre Dame back in 2015. Those women looked old & hard (but I suspected they weren't, they were just wearing the toll of a tough life). They weren't aggressive though.

• Sad 2
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I mean who even uses CDs anymore? 

Me, if I want the whole album.  If I just want one or two songs, I'll download those.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 5/12/2023 at 11:31 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I have an inexpensive battery toothbrush and, while I like it well enough, I find the timer feature annoying. It alerts at 2 minutes, which is fine (not that I really need it). But if you turn off the toothbrush to spit out the toothpaste, it starts the time all over.

I have one, too.  I brush the front bottom for a minute (there is a clock next to the sink) then the back bottom for the second minute....warning bell goes off and I spit and rinse, rinse toothbrush and put on fresh toothpaste.  Start again with front top for a minute then back top for the second minute.  Finished.  And while brushing I'm reading a few pages out of whatever book I'm currently reading.

People who deliberately mispronounce names and words.

I have an unusual last name.  The nurse at the doctor's office yesterday, who'd never seen me before, said it perfectly when she called me out of the waiting room.  I told her that I was impressed.  She beamed and said that the Hooked on Phonics she used when she was a kid seems to have paid off.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Like 7
16 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I have one, too.  I brush the front bottom for a minute (there is a clock next to the sink) then the back bottom for the second minute....warning bell goes off and I spit and rinse, rinse toothbrush and put on fresh toothpaste.  Start again with front top for a minute then back top for the second minute.  Finished.  And while brushing I'm reading a few pages out of whatever book I'm currently reading.

I have an unusual last name.  The nurse at the doctor's office yesterday, who'd never seen me before, said it perfectly when she called me out of the waiting room.  I told her that I was impressed.  She beamed and said that the Hooked on Phonics she used when she was a kid seems to have paid off.

Speaking of last names, I use both my maiden name and married name without a hyphen.  Everyone seems to want to hyphenate it.  Even though they can very well see that there isn’t one.  

41 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

Ha, same! Anytime sometime pronounces my last name right the first time, without help, I'm always so impressed and tell them so. I always joke that if I get married, the guy's last name better be something easy to spell and pronounce like Smith or Jones, lol.

• LOL 3

People can pronounce my first name when they see it but if I tell them my name for them to write down no one has ever spelled it correctly. It is spelled like the name has been spelled for probably thousands of years, no cutesy changes or letters added. Even after I spell it they wrongly spell it while I am calling out the letters. 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

People can pronounce my first name when they see it but if I tell them my name for them to write down no one has ever spelled it correctly. It is spelled like the name has been spelled for probably thousands of years, no cutesy changes or letters added. Even after I spell it they wrongly spell it while I am calling out the letters. 

If it's a name that has more than one spelling (e.g. Catherine or Sarah) then I can see why.  But if it's like that, it's better to ask whether it has or doesn't have a letter.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
(edited)

Yes, that would be understood. There are no other spelling versions. It's the sound of the first two letters that throws people off but then they make up a sound for the middle and use those letter and leave off the last letter. It's not like Sara/Sarah or the many versions of Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn. There is only one way. What gets me is I call out the letters and they still spell it with three syllables instead of two by transposing the middle letters, not the letters I use. It's not really a peeve for me, it was just on topic from above. It is probably a peeve for people if when I feel like annoying them I choose to wait for them to actually spell it correctly and don't accept the wrong spelling. I never knew anyone with my name when I was growing up, I am middle fifties age, but now there are about 20 people, a combination of well known people naming their kids my name and people I just know who share my name. All of a sudden in the last 15 plus years it became popular but not trendy so it is still a bit rare.

Edited by stewedsquash
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ha, same! Anytime sometime pronounces my last name right the first time, without help, I'm always so impressed and tell them so. I always joke that if I get married, the guy's last name better be something easy to spell and pronounce like Smith or Jones, lol.

I spent many years spelling my very simple 5-letter last name. And then I married a guy with a Swiss last name that most folks can't pronounce. I think it needs an umlaut 😁.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, there is a whole bunch of those gross Diabetes ads. I can't figure out what most of the items are and even if I could, they don't look like anything I'd ever put in my mouth. And I have Diabetes!! Sure didn't get it from any of those gross things.  Most make my skin crawl and I wish they would go away forever!!!

I’ve complained before but I don’t know why the owners of this site can’t control the ads! 

• Like 1

About Goodreads-- I strongly dislike that, when you are indicating that you want to read a particular book in the future, the site insists/assumes that you want to read the hardcover or Kindle version. The reason that bothers me is because I've been reading the novels in the Murder, She Wrote mystery series in paperback (have 33 in that series, and have read 30 of those), and when you put a book in your "to-read" list, you are not allowed to remove it from that list, even if you mistakenly select the wrong format of that book (so if you put, say, a MSW book in your "to-read" list in its hardcover form, the site will forever assume that you want to read the hardcover form, and will not let you remove that form and change it to paperback).

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I spent many years spelling my very simple 5-letter last name. And then I married a guy with a Swiss last name that most folks can't pronounce. I think it needs an umlaut 😁.If you go to My Books and then Want to Read, there should be an X on the right side you can click on to delete the book.   To change the book format, click on the book and there should be a link that says Show All Editions.   If you click on that it shows all book formats and you can click on Switch to this Edition.  

2 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

About Goodreads-- I strongly dislike that, when you are indicating that you want to read a particular book in the future, the site insists/assumes that you want to read the hardcover or Kindle version. The reason that bothers me is because I've been reading the novels in the Murder, She Wrote mystery series in paperback (have 33 in that series, and have read 30 of those), and when you put a book in your "to-read" list, you are not allowed to remove it from that list, even if you mistakenly select the wrong format of that book (so if you put, say, a MSW book in your "to-read" list in its hardcover form, the site will forever assume that you want to read the hardcover form, and will not let you remove that form and change it to paperback).

Sorry I have no idea what happened here and why it quoted the first person.   I was replying to the above, if you click on My Books and then Want to Read, there should be an X on the right side you can click on to delete the book.   To change the book type, click on the book name, there should be a link that says Show All Editions, it will list all book formats and you can click on Switch to this Edition. 

Edited by partofme
  • Useful 5
12 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Yes, that would be understood. There are no other spelling versions. It's the sound of the first two letters that throws people off but then they make up a sound for the middle and use those letter and leave off the last letter. It's not like Sara/Sarah or the many versions of Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn. There is only one way. What gets me is I call out the letters and they still spell it with three syllables instead of two by transposing the middle letters, not the letters I use. It's not really a peeve for me, it was just on topic from above. It is probably a peeve for people if when I feel like annoying them I choose to wait for them to actually spell it correctly and don't accept the wrong spelling. I never knew anyone with my name when I was growing up, I am middle fifties age, but now there are about 20 people, a combination of well known people naming their kids my name and people I just know who share my name. All of a sudden in the last 15 plus years it became popular but not trendy so it is still a bit rare.

Am I the only one dying to know your name?

• Like 3
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 4
20 minutes ago, partofme said:

Sorry I have no idea what happened here and why it quoted the first person.   I was replying to the above, if you click on My Books and then Want to Read, there should be an X on the right side you can click on to delete the book.   To change the book type, click on the book name, there should be a link that says Show All Editions, it will list all book formats and you can click on Switch to this Edition. 

Thank you very much for saying that-- I did eventually find out how to do it, and books in my "to-read" folder have been changed to the proper editions.

• Like 5
On 5/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, BlueSkies said:

I almost got scammed by these people in Times Square.  I was not aware of this until today.  This stuff should be illegal.  It left a total bad taste in my mouth toward NYC

I don't have enough internet to watch videos.  What is the scam?

48 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I thank the internet Gods that I discovered Adblock for my PC, laptop, and phone, so I no longer see any of the ads.

My son put Adblock PLus on my Chromebook, I almost never see any ads.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My son put Adblock PLus on my Chromebook, I almost never see any ads.

I think that's what my son put on my computer as well.  He's a useful little engine 🙂.  I don't have that on my amazon fire and when I use that to access this site I definitely notice a difference.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ads are how sites are able to provide free content.  I respect that, and I used to put up with them back in my IE days.  Every time I had a technical problem here, they suggested I switch to Firefox.  I wasn't having a problem elsewhere, and didn't feel like learning something new, so it took me a while to make the switch.  When I did transition to their suggested browser that offers an ad-blocking feature, of course I enabled it.  If this or any other site I use ever decides to charge a monthly fee for ad-free access, I'll respect that, too, and decide whether I like it enough to either pay to use it or put up with ads (in most cases, I'll just peace out).

Given different sensibilities, I don't think they can write off an ad because some people find it gross (I don't even know what that diabetes one is, so I can't get grossed out by it), but they do offer the Bad Ads report thread in the Bugs, Questions, and Suggestions thread, and I know people report not just ads that are causing problems like bouncing screens or auto enlarging but those they find repugnant.  So if you see an ad you hate, report it, and I'm sure it will be reviewed to decide if they think yeah, enough people are going to be turned off by that we don't want it on our site.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
(edited)
On 5/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Bethany said:

The worst experience I had in this regard was in Paris and especially at the Eiffel Tower.  People aggressively begging and scamming.  It got so bad at one point there we found a police officer and went to stand near him while we waited for our friends to arrive.  They see tourist written across your forehead and they will not let up.

Both my daughters visited Paris separately, years apart, and both of them said it was their worst experience and neither of them has any desire to visit again. They also said the same about Rome. Other parts of France and other European countries were amazing though. 

This week's peeve:  a major golf tournament is taking place in my area, and the expressway I use to get to work has triple the amount of traffic in the mornings.. I know it's temporary, but this particular expressway already has a bunch of jerks (won't allow merging, tailgating, lack of turn signals/cutting off others, etc.) on a normal day, now I have to deal with out-of-town ones as well. 

Edited by KittyMom4
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
(edited)

Hated Rome*, or to be precise Roman grifters, both times. Paris was lovely both times but this last time was nearly ruined by a massive blister on one foot that made walking excruciating. So I missed a lot of things I wanted to see. Which, of course, means I have to go back again.

*Loved all the Bernini and didn't want to leave the Borghese Gallery.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 2
On 5/13/2023 at 11:25 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I spent many years spelling my very simple 5-letter last name. And then I married a guy with a Swiss last name that most folks can't pronounce. I think it needs an umlaut 😁.

Hahahah, my maiden name was simple, then I married my 1st husband and got what I thought was another simple name but was always mispronounced or misspelled. Now married to a man with a Dutch last name, and because of an 'unused' letter that is a part of it, I am again having to correct pronunciations. Sigh....

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

@ABay both my daughters said the worst part of Paris was the Eiffel Tower, although most of the city was pleasant, both of them experienced not-so-nice treatment from the locals so that colored their opinion of the city as a whole.  They both loved Greece and Switzerland, and my youngest stayed in Amsterdam for 4 weeks and fell in love with it! 

I'm gonna say, as someone who is a native Upstate NY'er, and has visited NYC a few times, I've never gotten the hype. I saw an NBA game at MSG, ate in little Italy and Chinatown, did some shopping but overall, it was just meh to me. To each their own.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

@ABay both my daughters said the worst part of Paris was the Eiffel Tower, although most of the city was pleasant, both of them experienced not-so-nice treatment from the locals so that colored their opinion of the city as a whole.  They both loved Greece and Switzerland, and my youngest stayed in Amsterdam for 4 weeks and fell in love with it! 

I'm gonna say, as someone who is a native Upstate NY'er, and has visited NYC a few times, I've never gotten the hype. I saw an NBA game at MSG, ate in little Italy and Chinatown, did some shopping but overall, it was just meh to me. To each their own.

Are you beyond Albany? That's really a whole different "state". I've said for years that New York consists of 5 very different states inside its border. I grew up an hour north and we took the train in to shop or visit museums. My mom was a city girl so she schooled us on how to maneuver around the city. The best times were on a Sunday when the city would be quiet & one could just mosey around, admiring the art deco architecture, no crowded sidewalks. Things have changed in Manhattan since the late 90's--crowds every day, too much glass & steel. I miss "littie old New York".

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you beyond Albany? That's really a whole different "state". I've said for years that New York consists of 5 very different states inside its border. I grew up an hour north and we took the train in to shop or visit museums. My mom was a city girl so she schooled us on how to maneuver around the city.

Yep! And it's totally true about the 5 states within in NYS! 

• Like 2

I always wished that the part of the state I grew up in would secede and join Canada. Sort of southern southern Ontario. As if they'd have had us.

• Like 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, ABay said:

I always wished that the part of the state I grew up in would secede and join Canada. Sort of southern southern Ontario. As if they'd have had us.

Western NY?  Michigan somewhere?  Maybe if you'd bring TJs and Target with you...LOL.

Edited by PRgal
  • LOL 1
39 minutes ago, ABay said:

Your username is the nickname of a town close to where our River place is, if you are from where I think you are from, I LOVE that town!!! We go there several times in the summer, especially in August for the annual event that Jack Sparrow would be proud of! 

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you beyond Albany? That's really a whole different "state". I've said for years that New York consists of 5 very different states inside its border. I grew up an hour north and we took the train in to shop or visit museums. My mom was a city girl so she schooled us on how to maneuver around the city. The best times were on a Sunday when the city would be quiet & one could just mosey around, admiring the art deco architecture, no crowded sidewalks. Things have changed in Manhattan since the late 90's--crowds every day, too much glass & steel. I miss "littie old New York".

The pedestrian/tourist traffic down by my office, near the World Trade Center, has suddenly rebounded to pre-pandemic levels.  It's insane!  I could hardly navigate the street along Broadway just now going out for lunch.  Century 21 has reopened--that was always a big tourist attraction. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I went on a school trip to France, when we lived in England. I remember the teachers telling us to ignore the people trying to sell us things. We only got to spend a little bit of time in Paris. I remember the Eiffel Tower, the Cathedral of Notre Dame, and the tapestry. We'd been working on segments of the tapestry in class, doing cross-stitch. The Bayeux Tapestry 

The comments about pronunciations, reminded me of Notre Dame. Over here, people pronounce it Noter Dayme. We say Not-ra Darm.  

• Like 3

I was just talking about France with my dad, a few weeks ago, and now I can't remember the main little town that we stayed in, close to the beach, or the one with the artists painting on the pier. wtf brain? 

I was just reminded of the nightmare that is traffic around the Arc de Triomphe. I'm checking google maps. We stayed in Le Havre. I think Brittany, was the place with artists. That's all I remember. 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Anela said:

I was just talking about France with my dad, a few weeks ago, and now I can't remember the main little town that we stayed in, close to the beach, or the one with the artists painting on the pier. wtf brain? 

I was just reminded of the nightmare that is traffic around the Arc de Triomphe. I'm checking google maps. We stayed in Le Havre. I think Brittany, was the place with artists. That's all I remember. 

After Paris, we drove up to Normandy and stayed at the Chateau Des Blosse. We walked through the American Memorial at Normandy Beach. It was humbling experience.

• Sad 2
56 minutes ago, Anela said:

The comments about pronunciations, reminded me of Notre Dame. Over here, people pronounce it Noter Dayme. We say Not-ra Darm.  

"Noter Dame" is the way the university's name is pronounced. "Note-tra Dahm" is the way we should pronounce the name of the cathedral in Paris. But one can forget & call the cathedral noter dame...and then, of course, have someone correct us 😁

• Like 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

"Noter Dame" is the way the university's name is pronounced. "Note-tra Dahm" is the way we should pronounce the name of the cathedral in Paris. But one can forget & call the cathedral noter dame...and then, of course, have someone correct us 😁

They roll their eyes every time they hear Noter Dame Fightin' Irish.....

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/13/2023 at 6:53 AM, chediavolo said:

Ads on this site that make you want to throw up when you’re scrolling through a forum . I don’t know why they can’t be getting rid of people have been complaining for years.
Here’s an example.:

IMG_0630.jpeg

I really dislike the whole series of these diabetes.live ads! They literally gross me out. I've developed a way to avoid all those ads at the bottom. I just stop scrolling when I can just see the "Go to topic listing" prompt and I don't have to look at any of the bottom ads. I wonder how the other advertises down there would feel if they knew people are not looking at their ads because of this gross one?

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, Bastet said:

Ads are how sites are able to provide free content.  I respect that, and I used to put up with them back in my IE days.  Every time I had a technical problem here, they suggested I switch to Firefox.  I wasn't having a problem elsewhere, and didn't feel like learning something new, so it took me a while to make the switch.  When I did transition to their suggested browser that offers an ad-blocking feature, of course I enabled it.  If this or any other site I use ever decides to charge a monthly fee for ad-free access, I'll respect that, too, and decide whether I like it enough to either pay to use it or put up with ads (in most cases, I'll just peace out).

Given different sensibilities, I don't think they can write off an ad because some people find it gross (I don't even know what that diabetes one is, so I can't get grossed out by it), but they do offer the Bad Ads report thread in the Bugs, Questions, and Suggestions thread, and I know people report not just ads that are causing problems like bouncing screens or auto enlarging but those they find repugnant.  So if you see an ad you hate, report it, and I'm sure it will be reviewed to decide if they think yeah, enough people are going to be turned off by that we don't want it on our site.

Reported it numerous times. 

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I attended Notre Dame Academy. That’s how we pronounced it.

Like the Fightin' Irish way or the like the Cathedral?  A lot of people don't know how to pronounce the name of my alma mater.  They think it's Stray-Kan, not Strawhn (Bishop Strachan School).  So unless you're up with your Canadian history, you might not know.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1

People who don’t silence their phone. I’m not talking about someone whose phone just goes off once and after that they silence it and it never happens again. Things happen. But I was in a counseling session tonight and the counselor’s phone rang and she was like oh I always forget to shut this off; sorry hold on for a minute. Or people who admit that they never remember to turn off their phone or don’t know how to do it. Is it that hard to silence your phone before an appointment or Mass or other occasion where no one wants to hear your phone? 

(Random, but I sang at First Communion Mass a couple weeks back with one other person in my choir and our director, and before Mass they announced to please silence/turn off your phone. I turned to the other choir member and said honestly they need to say that every Sunday too!) 

• Like 4