Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

I have the paper of last Sunday, May 7, and that tagline is still there.

Thanks @bmasters9.  I only read the NYTimes online and there tagline isn't there.  I think it should be.  Of course digital is not "print" but in the age of online conspiracy theories the need to be "fit to print" has never been more important.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

It’s trivial and petty but greeting cards that have sound effects or music. Can’t imagine getting one for a family member unless I knew they were really into that sort of thing. It just seems too over the top, and like most greeting cards, you’ll never look at it again! 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
8 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

It’s trivial and petty but greeting cards that have sound effects or music. Can’t imagine getting one for a family member unless I knew they were really into that sort of thing. It just seems too over the top, and like most greeting cards, you’ll never look at it again! 

And glitter! I have a niece in law who loads every holiday card with a couple of handfuls of glitter. I've just learned to never open her cards.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 3
45 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Unless you're Olive from Easy A:

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
51 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Why do you only read the Times online?

I also gave up the paper delivery. It got ridiculously expensive and I found I had already read the paper on line by the time it arrived. You can still see the tagline when you look at the today’s paper tab on the web site or app. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
16 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I also gave up the paper delivery. It got ridiculously expensive and I found I had already read the paper on line by the time it arrived. You can still see the tagline when you look at the today’s paper tab on the web site or app. 

I do-- on the front page image under "Today's Front Pages."

13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And glitter! I have a niece in law who loads every holiday card with a couple of handfuls of glitter. I've just learned to never open her cards.

She's out of the will!  

I've learned to never buy Xmas cards that have glitter on them - you know the nice shiny snow or whatever.  That stuff does not stay on the card, it prefers to adhere to my hand.  

Not content to leave it on or in cards the glitter people also have infiltrated the wrapping paper aisle.  I am guessing people must actually like having glitter on their hands, face, clothes, table, floor....

• Like 1
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 1

I tend to allow room for people with language challenges if they same something that is a bit insensitive to my ears. I also leave a bit of room for cultural differences, even if the same language is spoken.   My peeve is that some people won't do that/think everyone should be offended.  Well, people don't GET to tell other people how they feel.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Bethany said:

She's out of the will!  

LOL!

My daughter bought a card for somebody the other day, and I saw her using a lint roller on it to remove any excess glitter.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

They use the word "print" even on the digital version?

Just now, TattleTeeny said:

Interesting!

the digital version of the times has a couple of choices:  You can look at the PDF reproduction of the day's paper, and you can just look at the most recent articles, which don't look like reading an actual newspaper. 

On 5/10/2023 at 8:41 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

If it's funny? I save it and open it up now & then, just to laugh. Only people who really know me send these funny cards. 

We get daily delivery of the Washington Post so the digital is free (that's where I live, in the comments section!) I also get the digital NY Times but their comments section has become quite selective re: the comments they'll print, no matter how proper one's comments are. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

If it's funny? I save it and open it up now & then, just to laugh. Only people who really know me send these funny cards. 

We get daily delivery of the Washington Post so the digital is free (that's where I live, in the comments section!) I also get the digital NY Times but their comments section has become quite selective re: the comments they'll print, no matter how proper one's comments are. 

My NYT comments usually get approved.  I don’t like how you have to scroll to find your comment (especially if you want to see whether anyone’s replied to you), while it’s so much easier to find with WP.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Why do you only read the Times online?

Honestly I just don't want any more paper lying around the apartment.  It's hard enough to throw out all the ads I get in the mail.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, roseha said:

Honestly I just don't want any more paper lying around the apartment.  It's hard enough to throw out all the ads I get in the mail.

Mail is a pet peeve. I don't need like 95% of what I get in the mail. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Then you have to sort through it to make sure some regular mail didn't get lost in the ads.

• Like 5

I have an inexpensive battery toothbrush and, while I like it well enough, I find the timer feature annoying. It alerts at 2 minutes, which is fine (not that I really need it). But if you turn off the toothbrush to spit out the toothpaste, it starts the time all over. But I have to turn off the toothbrush to spit so that it doesn't spin toothpaste foam all over the place!

7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have an inexpensive battery toothbrush and, while I like it well enough, I find the timer feature annoying. It alerts at 2 minutes, which is fine (not that I really need it). But if you turn off the toothbrush to spit out the toothpaste, it starts the time all over. But I have to turn off the toothbrush to spit so that it doesn't spin toothpaste foam all over the place!

Same! We must have the same toothbrush. I’ve learned to not spit for two minutes but it sometimes makes me gag so I give up on the timer. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Mail related peeve today.  I am still getting mail in my Mom's name almost a year after she died.  This is not solicited mail it's the you're on someone's mailing list kind of mail.  I've done everything short of going to their office (wherever that might be) and personally handing them a death certificate.  I guess the bottom line is that once you're on these mailing lists you are on these mailing lists for ever.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bethany said:

Mail related peeve today.  I am still getting mail in my Mom's name almost a year after she died.  This is not solicited mail it's the you're on someone's mailing list kind of mail.  I've done everything short of going to their office (wherever that might be) and personally handing them a death certificate.  I guess the bottom line is that once you're on these mailing lists you are on these mailing lists for ever.

Get used to it. My mom died in 2017 and I'm still getting mail for her. The only place I notified of her death aas her old sorority alum assoc.

• Like 3
(edited)

This isn't necessarily a peeve, but it does make me 🙄. If you're going to wear a mask, wear it properly. covering just your mouth defeats the purpose. BOTH mouth and nose should be covered. And having the mask cup your chin? Why bother wearing it? I've seen this since returning from India at the Starbucks near my office. I went in for my first Starbucks coffee.

But I just keep my mouth shut. I still wear my mask when I enter stores and coffee shops.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 14
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I just keep my mouth shut. I still wear my mask when I enter stores and coffee shops.

Same. Plus, a bunch of my masks were made with love from someone at Etsy. I'm not just going to toss them out like a jerk!

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This isn't necessarily a peeve, but it does make me 🙄. If you're going to wear a mask, wear it properly. covering just your mouth defeats the purpose. BOTH mouth and nose should be covered. And having the mask cup your chin? Why bother wearing it? I've seen this since returning from India at the Starbucks near my office. I went in for my first Starbucks coffee.

THANK YOU

Piggy-backing off of that, I really hate that some of these jerkasses act like they’re being victimized and shamed for not wearing masks properly (or at all), yet gleefully mock others for wearing them, dismissing us as hypochondriacs. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
27 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

THANK YOU

Piggy-backing off of that, I really hate that some of these jerkasses act like they’re being victimized and shamed for not wearing masks properly (or at all), yet gleefully mock others for wearing them, dismissing us as hypochondriacs. 

I still wear a mask whenever I go into a store/shop. Usually these days, I am the only one and I do get some looks, but I just ignore them. I have my reasons and don't have to justify them to anyone. I expect it will get worse now that the Covid Title 42 has been rescinded. I will still wear my mask...

• Like 10
(edited)

We have lived in this house for over 20 years and are the 4th owners. We are still getting mail from the 2nd owners. And it just started a few weeks ago. Apparently they cruised and the cruise line has been sending catalogs and flyers nonstop.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

I've lived here almost 20 years and I still get quarterly magazines for the previous owners. Don't know where they are or if they are even still alive. the magazines get "filed" in the trash!

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

3 hours ago, Mountainair said:

Same! We must have the same toothbrush. I’ve learned to not spit for two minutes but it sometimes makes me gag so I give up on the timer. 

Wait, so there are at least two people who spit mid-brushing?  It's never occurred to  me to do that, and I've never noticed anyone else doing it (in my admittedly limited experience).  Maybe it's because I don't use as much toothpaste as they show people using in the ads (covering the whole brush and more) - which brings my comment at least somewhat back into peeve territory.  Or maybe I don't generate as much saliva as some people...? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Today's peeve - several friends my age who have retired are posting vacation pictures from exotic locales.  That's not the peeve - the peeve is I am noticing how old they look.  When did my friends age so noticeably and, while of course I am glad this hasn't happened to me yet (🙄) it's still very disconcerting!

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Bethany said:

I have had the same problem, and if the sender has a postage-paid envelope, I stuff everything back in, write "Deceased" on the money-grubbing card, and send it back.  One of my friends suggested affixing the envelope to a box and filling the box with stuff.  I haven't gotten to that point yet, but most of the mailings have stopped.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Almost eight years since my mother died and I had her mail forwarded to my address, the junk mail addressed to her has finally started to taper off.  Except the Kroger coupons, but that's okay, my husband likes to shop there.

And I just today got a mailing for the guy we bought our house from - 35 years ago!  Of course, it was a solicitation from his alma mater.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Bethany said:

My m-i-l died in 2000. Th UAW, of which she was a member (retired in mid-70s), still sends vote proxies and othr miscellanea to her at our address. She would be 112 yrs old if alive today. Proves some things I've long thought, that I'll keep to myself.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, so there are at least two people who spit mid-brushing?  It's never occurred to  me to do that, and I've never noticed anyone else doing it (in my admittedly limited experience).  Maybe it's because I don't use as much toothpaste as they show people using in the ads (covering the whole brush and more) - which brings my comment at least somewhat back into peeve territory.  Or maybe I don't generate as much saliva as some people...? 

I don’t use the amount of toothpaste that commercials show either, and even if I did, it wouldn’t work with this particular toothbrush, which is small and round. I tend to brush my teeth for a long time—it works up a lot of foam so I gotta get it out, man! Are you not doing a full 2 minutes, maybe? Or maybe my toothpaste is more aggressively foamy!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bethany said:

My dad died in 2003.  We still get mail for him.  

On a related note, my sister died in late 2021.  We still have a forwarding order in for her, so I understand getting mail address to her (we'll be getting House & Garden magazine through next year - yippee).  What I don't understand is how a few of her emails have started coming to my email address.  I still monitor her email address and never changed anything - how did they find me??  I guess I don't mind so much, I just find it bizarre. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I almost got scammed by these people in Times Square.  I was not aware of this until today.  This stuff should be illegal.  It left a total bad taste in my mouth toward NYC

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
(edited)

What the hell even is that diabetes picture? My instinct is to be grossed out but for all I know, it's some innocuous thing. 

Ugh, more peeves about my insurance (still single-payer, since my layoff in December). I have some questions that are not super-urgent. I do not want to be holding on the phone for hours, but they have no email! In 2023, there is NO EMAIL. They also don't assign customers an agent or anything like that (I don't even actually know if that's a "thing" for health insurance. It is for my car/home insurance and it's pretty cool! My guy is so nice -- and he replies to email quickly. EMAIL! Which he  has!).

Foot update, for anyone who doesn't want to forget about my foot entirely (myself included): at least 4 more weeks non-weight-bearing. I'm pissed off. Also, my doctor said that it is "bizarre" that I feel no pain. Helpful! Oh, also, I am allowed to take off the stupid air cast boot if I am sitting around and aware of my foot (meaning, I do need to wear it while sleeping). Fine, whatever. But I do have to wear it while using the knee scooter. So, if I am watching TV and need to get up to go to the bathroom or get some water (even though what I really want is a whole lot of tequila and a pack of smokes!), I have to take minutes to get this thing back on?! Come on.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 5
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I almost got scammed by these people in Times Square.  I was not aware of this until today.  This stuff should be illegal.  It left a total bad taste in my mouth toward NYC

They still do this? I mean who even uses CDs anymore? 

I was asked by these scammers many many times what’s your name? I never fell for it. 

• Like 2

The worst experience I had in this regard was in Paris and especially at the Eiffel Tower.  People aggressively begging and scamming.  It got so bad at one point there we found a police officer and went to stand near him while we waited for our friends to arrive.  They see tourist written across your forehead and they will not let up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

They still do this? I mean who even uses CDs anymore? 

I was asked by these scammers many many times what’s your name? I never fell for it. 

Tbh I didn’t even know what it was this guy handed me.  I only found this scam out when I googled it and got home. 

I should have never taken it though.  I just assumed at first it was someone trying to advertise some sale or new store or what not.  Though they get like right in your face.  

When I told the pressurer I have autism he actually backed off me.  Up until that point he was following and walking right after me.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3