Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Good to know—thank you. I think I did only two, but maybe I had too much on the brush. 

I think someone else mentioned, I feel like I get the air bubbles when I rush the dry time between coats.  The reason I hardly have a decent manicure anymore; the 3-4 hrs required for adquate set-up time (I've always done my own).

• Like 2
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Try nail strips, I live by them.    

I have some of the stickers and they’re usually good, but I opted for polish this time. It’s also probably that my nail polishes are old. I should pare them down, considering I pretty much like only dark colors.

Slippers! The doctor who took care of my fracture suggested that I should always, even in the house, have somewhat supportive footwear on my feet. He suggested 2 higher-end slipper brands. They’re nice enough but I hate this! I like bare feet!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have some of the stickers and they’re usually good, but I opted for polish this time. It’s also probably that my nail polishes are old. I should pare them down, considering I pretty much like only dark colors.

Slippers! The doctor who took care of my fracture suggested that I should always, even in the house, have somewhat supportive footwear on my feet. He suggested 2 higher-end slipper brands. They’re nice enough but I hate this! I like bare feet!

Ooh me too. I must be barefoot in the house. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The only problem with this is, if you're like me, I've been barefoot so long that I can barely walk in shoes anymore. 

I'm not quite that bad but close!  I find it funny when I watch TV shows or read books where the character gets dressed and immediately puts on shoes to stay in the house.  So not my reality.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

He did say that he didn't mean, like, from the couch to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever. So, in an effort to not exacerbate any issue I may have, I will try to remember the slippers if I am doing housework or otherwise on my feet for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Try nail strips, I live by them.    

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

My pet peeve is when a person doesn't respond to a message I've sent to them via Facebook Messenger, and I can clearly see that they have read the message and are STILL online. 

I should clarify that the message was sent b/c a friend of mine commented on a food photo that I'd posted on Facebook, asking me if I would share the recipe. I replied to her post saying I'd message her. I didn't have a recipe for this particular dish, and basically wing it, but took the time to type my reply out and send. And then, crickets.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

My pet peeve is when a person doesn't respond to a message I've sent to them via Facebook Messenger, and I can clearly see that they have read the message and are STILL online. 

I've had the same experience but I should add FB can be a bit wonky.  For instance sometimes I can see that my dad is supposedly online when I know for a fact he hasn't been near FB in days.  I am guessing if you don't sign out that sometimes FB treats you like you're still active?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

UGH!!! Many know I’m going to India next month. But the booking and finding the best price at such short notice has been a nightmare!

My peeve? My original return date was supposed to be April 16, but my sister said we should come home on the 15th. Okay. Decided. What does she end up doing? The 16th! So I called Qatar and asked what the charge would be. That asshole tried to scam me to pay $500!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

Since I booked via budget air, I emailed and chatted with them and changing flight and found out no fee for first change! Only pay the fare difference which Is $95! I can handle that! They asked if I needed anything else and I said confirmation of the chat should I have any issues. But I printed the chat anyway!

THE NERVE. And asshole said he was going to call back and threatened price could go up if I didn’t pay then. Or flight wouldn’t be available which is bullshit.

But I’m all set now.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I've had the same experience but I should add FB can be a bit wonky.  For instance sometimes I can see that my dad is supposedly online when I know for a fact he hasn't been near FB in days.  I am guessing if you don't sign out that sometimes FB treats you like you're still active?

Yes, that could be true with regard to my friend not really remaining online. But I guess my point is that after reading my somewhat detailed message, describing how to make this food dish, all she would have had to do is give my message a thumbs up, a heart emoticon, or a simple one word 'thanks.'  She did respond today saying thanks and she's definitely going to try the recipe, but I guess it's too much to ask that at that moment that she finished reading, she just would have replied. IDK. My sister says I ask too much of people. Maybe she's right. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I like bare feet!

Same here!  I have a closet full of great shoes to choose from when I venture out, but since I work from home and don't socialize much, I spend the overwhelming majority of my time barefoot.  I don't even wear socks or slippers around the house unless it's really cold; shoes, never.  I have a pair of flip flops by each door for when I go out to do something in the yard, but they come right off as soon as I'm back in the door. 

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Could you please share those suggestions here? I’m interested. Thanks 😊 

I roll from one pair of LL Bean wicked good slippers to the next. The ones I buy wouldn't be considered "supportive" however.

They're more about comfort and for shuffling around a house that is occupied by cats, teenagers, and a big messy dog. None of whom are bare-feet friendly on an average day.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Same here!  I have a closet full of great shoes to choose from when I venture out, but since I work from home and don't socialize much, I spend the overwhelming majority of my time barefoot.  I don't even wear socks or slippers around the house unless it's really cold; shoes, never.  I have a pair of flip flops by each door for when I go out to do something in the yard, but they come right off as soon as I'm back in the door. 

I keep a pair of LL Bean mocs next to the front door for doing a thing in the yard or feeding the critters.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oofos and Vionic. They both have lots of styles. I went with the latter after trying the former. I’ll probably also order some flip-flops or slide sandals eventually; the doctor said the usual brands of those are bad too. There was one more brand too, but I forget now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 pair of sneakers by the front door for general going about (regular shoes, boots, sandals also there). 1 pair of sneakers by the side door for gardening and taking out garbage. 1 pair in the cat's room for attending to the litter boxes. Inside, sometimes socks but mostly nekkid feet.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Yes, that could be true with regard to my friend not really remaining online. But I guess my point is that after reading my somewhat detailed message, describing how to make this food dish, all she would have had to do is give my message a thumbs up, a heart emoticon, or a simple one word 'thanks.'  She did respond today saying thanks and she's definitely going to try the recipe, but I guess it's too much to ask that at that moment that she finished reading, she just would have replied. IDK. My sister says I ask too much of people. Maybe she's right. 

I guess I don’t get Facebook etiquette. It seems like just because you saw a message was out there, doesn’t mean you have time to process it and respond immediately. I’ve probably offended people!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I bought a pair of Vionic slippers several years ago. When I first tried them, I thought no way!! Felt like I had a baseball under my arch. They will tell you to ease into them by wearing a few minuts at a time, then increasing that time until you adjust. I adjusted in short order and really like them! 

This is similar to what I have, and this is a really good deal! Think it's time for another pair, lol. I have worn through the fabric under my heel.

Vionic-Slipper-Comfortable-Slippers-Three-Zone-Orthotic

I would say that mine run just a touch big, mostly in width, but each style could differ. I don't wear socks, but if you do, they might be just right. Machine wash and dry with no problems.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I bought a pair of Vionic slippers several years ago. When I first tried them, I thought no way!! Felt like I had a baseball under my arch. They will tell you to ease into them by wearing a few minuts at a time, then increasing that time until you adjust. I adjusted in short order and really like them! 

This is similar to what I have, and this is a really good deal! Think it's time for another pair, lol. I have worn through the fabric under my heel.

Vionic-Slipper-Comfortable-Slippers-Three-Zone-Orthotic

I would say that mine run just a touch big, mostly in width, but each style could differ. I don't wear socks, but if you do, they might be just right. Machine wash and dry with no problems.

After I had plantar fasciitis several years ago, a podiatrist advised me not to go barefoot for long periods of time (which I did a lot) but always wear some type of supportive shoe.  In the house I wear Crocs, which I slip off while sitting down.  I wear a couple different types of LL Bean slippers, depending on the season.  Outside of the house I wear Clarks or Sketchers mostly, my LL Bean snow sneakers in the winter, and Birkenstock or Teva sandals in the summer.  It took me a while to remember to wear shoes, but now it's second nature to have my Crocs or slippers next to me that I just step into.  My socks don't wear out as quickly!  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

He did say that he didn't mean, like, from the couch to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever. So, in an effort to not exacerbate any issue I may have, I will try to remember the slippers if I am doing housework or otherwise on my feet for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oofos and Vionic. They both have lots of styles. I went with the latter after trying the former. I’ll probably also order some flip-flops or slide sandals eventually; the doctor said the usual brands of those are bad too. There was one more brand too, but I forget now.

My kid was having ankle problems so we went to the podiatrist.  The first thing he said was she should stop wearing cheap flipflops all the time as they are terrible for your feet and ankles.  (And incidentally very dangerous if you drive in them.)

Also, do you spend a lot of time on your feet in the kitchen?  I believe you can get floor mats that are supportive/therapeutic that might mean you could go barefoot at least some of the time.

I also tend to wear Merrell clogs if I'm running errands and find they have good arch support and are comfortable andsturdy.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Yeah, I have a mat in front of the sink, but for me it's more like I'm a bad relaxer; I am pausing the TV and popping up off the couch 65 times during just one episode of a show. I also like to chase the cats around and do a lot of housework (or, more accurately, I like the housework to be done--there's a difference!). I will definitely spend the dough to upgrade the flip-flops when the the time comes, because flip-flops are a necessity in the summer.

I also bought some Hokas for going on walks (I don't do rigorous hikes or anything, but I do try to on-purpose* walk ~20 miles a week, which I can now do again, thank the gods). As far as "real" shoes, he told me that my clunky-sole DMs/biker boots are fine to hang onto, but I should probably ditch the ballet flats and anything else that has a bendier/flimsier sole, as well as heels. This should be fine, as I work at home now and am not getting dressed like I used to. 

(Oh, I also have some hereditary bunions [thanks, Mom!] that I swear the walking boot exacerbated! Also, I always thought "bunion" meant something else.)

*Meaning not counting just general walking around the house or in a store.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

Missing pieces. I ordered a console table (there are never enough flat surfaces...) and the dowels were in the hardware packet when I checked everything last night, I'm sure of it. But can I find them this morning? No. I've looked everywhere they could be and several they couldn't. I finally filled out the request form to get replacements from the manufacturer. I can't do anything until they arrive.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
32 minutes ago, ABay said:

Missing pieces. I ordered a console table (there are never enough flat surfaces...) and the dowels were in the hardware packet when I checked everything last night, I'm sure of it. But can I find them this morning? No. I've looked everywhere they could be and several they couldn't. I finally filled out the request form to get replacements from the manufacturer. I can't do anything until they arrive.

Don't worry, my sunglasses and gloves are keeping your dowels company.  They'll probably come out of hiding the same day the replacements arrive.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Not finding anything after I reorganize. I finally organized my various lids for various jar sizes last week and promptly couldn't find the one that I needed yesterday. Took me half an hour until I realized that it's the one I keep with the larger ones.

• Like 4

Contrarians.  My cousin has to disagree just for the fun (I guess) of taking the opposite side.  I could somewhat understand if this was discussions on religion or which way the toilet paper roll should go - important issues - but she has to basically pick fights over the most trivial things.  It's like at some point in her life someone told her that the art of conversation is to turn it into an argument.  It's exhausting.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Contrarians.  My cousin has to disagree just for the fun (I guess) of taking the opposite side.  I could somewhat understand if this was discussions on politics or which way the toilet paper roll should go - important issues - but she has to basically pick fights over the most trivial things.  It's like at some point in her life someone told her that the art of conversation is to turn it into an argument.  It's exhausting.

My in-laws. The only way they know to make conversation is complaining. It too is exhausting. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

My in-laws. The only way they know to make conversation is complaining. It too is exhausting. 

I can imagine!  On a sitcom it can be funny but in your real life?  Definitely not!

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Contrarians.  My cousin has to disagree just for the fun (I guess) of taking the opposite side.  I could somewhat understand if this was discussions on religion or which way the toilet paper roll should go - important issues - but she has to basically pick fights over the most trivial things.  It's like at some point in her life someone told her that the art of conversation is to turn it into an argument.  It's exhausting.

My brother is the same way. He's one of those people who thinks it's morally abhorrent to agree with anybody, so he just disagrees with you for the sake of disagreeing with you. I honestly don't think he has any real political ideology, because he's too busy formulating arguments. 

I firmly believe that mindless contrarianism is just as bad as mindless mob mentality... because the key word is mindless. Mindless anything tends to be bad. Don't just disagree because you find it more fun.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My brother is the same way. He's one of those people who thinks it's morally abhorrent to agree with anybody, so he just disagrees with you for the sake of disagreeing with you.

I wonder what would happen if your brother and my cousin were to marry?  Either a match made in heaven or else eventually a breaking story on the 6 o'clock news I guess!

• LOL 8
20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

To round out the family, I'll add my objection to "wifey" and "kiddo."

I loathe the word "kiddo(s)".  And then there's that charming term, "the wife" that makes me grind my teeth. What's wrong with "my wife"? And "kids" has been an accepted casual word for children in America for well over 60 years. 

At least I don't go nuts over people using "golf" as a verb. That drove my mom crazy. She'd say, "Well, one doesn't tennis so why should anyone say they golf?" (instead of play golf). We lived next door to a small country club in our town so golf was a frequent topic. Lots of vigorous debates re: vocabulary going on in my house 😆.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I'm fine with trends recycling, laughing about wearing this the first time around with friends is fun. I'm thrilled that body positivity is empowering people of all shapes and sizes to wear crop tops and body suits and rock the look.

My peeve is the lack of full shirts for the rest of us, and the current "ankle length" pant trend. I want a full t-shirt and full pants. Not ankle pants. Gimme the rest of the pants!

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I loathe the word "kiddo(s)".  And then there's that charming term, "the wife" that makes me grind my teeth. What's wrong with "my wife"? And "kids" has been an accepted casual word for children in America for well over 60 years. 

At least I don't go nuts over people using "golf" as a verb. That drove my mom crazy. She'd say, "Well, one doesn't tennis so why should anyone say they golf?" (instead of play golf). We lived next door to a small country club in our town so golf was a frequent topic. Lots of vigorous debates re: vocabulary going on in my house 😆.

My dad's a golfer and he has no issue with golf being used as a verb.  He and his buddies all do it.  I have to admit that I use "kiddo" often, though here, he's PRkid (husband is PRguy.  Totally makes sense, since I'm PRgal).  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm fine with trends recycling, laughing about wearing this the first time around with friends is fun. I'm thrilled that body positivity is empowering people of all shapes and sizes to wear crop tops and body suits and rock the look.

My peeve is the lack of full shirts for the rest of us, and the current "ankle length" pant trend. I want a full t-shirt and full pants. Not ankle pants. Gimme the rest of the pants!

It's even worse if you have freakishly long legs like I do. That's why all my jeans are Levis. You can specify the length.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's even worse if you have freakishly long legs like I do. That's why all my jeans are Levis. You can specify the length.

I love that Levis continues to stick with the waist/inseam variety on women's jeans.

• Like 7

Crop tops are great for us who are petite.  They don’t look overly long on us!  I can never find good tops because of the fit and unlike skirts or pants, you can’t really shorten them easily.  

• Like 4
On 2/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, oliviabenson said:

I’m a 12/13 in men’s shoes 

I have really big/wide feet and I’m 5’6! I must look like a clown with my big feet 😢

12/13 in men's sizing is 10-11 in women's shoes. For your height that is a normal shoe size. I was just at Nordstrom Rack and they had a ton of super cute shoes in size 10 (what I wear) and larger. I was annoyed that I couldn't find the pair I wanted in a 10 but they had them in 11 and 12 women.

Here is a link to their site filtered to wide in sizes 10-12 women (11-13 men) sizes. I don't know what your style is, but IMO, there are so!many!cute!shoes! for you to choose from.

image.thumb.png.1f01f42ef2348dde1c1c9056ace2ed5b.png

image.png.aaeb96e84fd01986be0f7bc33017c304.png

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

12/13 in men's sizing is 10-11 in women's shoes. For your height that is a normal shoe size. I was just at Nordstrom Rack and they had a ton of super cute shoes in size 10 (what I wear) and larger. I was annoyed that I couldn't find the pair I wanted in a 10 but they had them in 11 and 12 women.

Here is a link to their site filtered to wide in sizes 10-12 women (11-13 men) sizes. I don't know what your style is, but IMO, there are so!many!cute!shoes! for you to choose from.

image.thumb.png.1f01f42ef2348dde1c1c9056ace2ed5b.png

image.png.aaeb96e84fd01986be0f7bc33017c304.png

What? No it’s not. Women’s shoes are smaller even if they are both size 13. You are incorrect. 

Size 13 in men’s in Size 14.5 in women’s. 

E2967A1C-B321-48F9-9063-8E3F2D6BB02D.jpeg

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

What? No it’s not. Women’s shoes are smaller even if they are both size 13. You are incorrect. 

My deepest and sincerest apologies for reversing. I should know better, after all, I wear unisex (aka men's) shoes in Vans and Converse and have to size accordingly.

Regardless, my original point still stands. Nordstrom Rack, Zappos, Amazon, and numerous other retailers have super cute, larger wide-sized shoes for women and I am confident that you don't need to regulate yourself to men's shoes if you don't want to. Especially in this day and age when more and more companies are designing apparel for all genders and body types.

I'm just trying to help. I have several female identifying friends with larger and wide feet who are always on point, shoe trend wise and I know what it's like to not like something and feel stuck in my rut until someone shares a different path that I just couldn't see. Feel free to ignore unsolicited advice from a stranger on the internet.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 6

Regardless, my original point still stands. Nordstrom Rack, Zappos, Amazon, and numerous other retailers have super cute, larger wide-sized shoes for women and I am confident that you don't need to regulate yourself to men's shoes if you don't want to. Especially in this day and age when more and more companies are designing apparel for all genders and body types.

I have the opposite problem. I take a size 5 wide. My mom called them "my little duckies". So hard to find cute shoes.

• Hugs 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

My personal shoe peeve is when shoes are in half sizes up to 8 the jump from 9 to 10. I also wish bras came with different sized cups. 

You mean like a B on one side and a C on the other?  I suppose you could get it custom...with online shopping, maybe a brand could custom make someone a bra like that...

• Like 1