Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's my DH's B-Day!

He must be the best guy ever!!!  😎

So it's the two of us plus Marilyn Monroe and Andy Griffith. We should've started a band.

Happy belated b'day to Mr. Latour!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

What would you call it?

How about . . . the Beatles? I mean, no one's using it at the moment. And we also have two living and two . . . not.

We may run into legal problems, though. I'll think on it some more.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
11 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I was born in the year of the rat. Woo :p. 

And my other zodiac sign is a Libra. 

Rats are supposed to be very lucky IIRC.

9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Cock (at least according to my local Chinese restaurant placemat). 

Me too. 

Tell me you're not also an Aries?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Rats are supposed to be very lucky IIRC.

Tell me you're not also an Aries?

Leo.  

I don't know if you're relieved or disappointed 😄

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What would you call it?

Band with Mr. PeachesLatour, Marilyn Monroe and Andy Griffith?

Arsenic and Old Celebrities

Edited by HissyFit
Punctuation
  • LOL 5

I have many brothers and sisters, nieces, nephews, great nieces, great nephews, plus in laws, and in that entire group (almost 50 people) we have  just one June birthday.  But my four closest friends in the world all have June birthdays, in a span of eight days. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
On 7/24/2022 at 1:14 AM, Salacious Kitty said:

June 19. My pearls are in their original box. My parents gave me as n alexandrite ring when I was about 16. I had it for maybe a week before the cat knocked it down the drain (I had my own bathroom and set the ring on the sink. Kitty had other ideas. 😥

Did someone ever look in the trap ?  People lose lots of jewelry down the drain, and luckily retrieve from the trap, even years later.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Peeve: people who spend time and energy getting outraged about mundane things that have no impact on their life. Example: my mom was ranting about what a rip off the car rentals are from an airport she traveled to. HOWEVER, she was not renting a car, and was never planning on renting a car, so the high prices had no impact on her life. She does shit like this all the time. I finally had to tell her not everything is a "rigamarole" (her word) and suggested she spend less time getting worked up about situations like this, and that I don't have the energy to listen to her ranting about it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: people who spend time and energy getting outraged about mundane things that have no impact on their life. Example: my mom was ranting about what a rip off the car rentals are from an airport she traveled to. HOWEVER, she was not renting a car, and was never planning on renting a car, so the high prices had no impact on her life. She does shit like this all the time. I finally had to tell her not everything is a "rigamarole" (her word) and suggested she spend less time getting worked up about situations like this, and that I don't have the energy to listen to her ranting about it. 

Yeah that's really not a good habit. I'm sure most of us are guilty of silly whining sometimes, but the people who do it constantly, they're never going to enjoy life if they look for stuff to gripe about. 

• Love 3

That I still haven’t canceled my cable.

I’m between jobs this week and the selections, day, night and weekend are awful anymore. I usually end up putting streaming on. I have no idea why I cling to cable but I think I’m about at the end of my rope. 

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Yeah that's really not a good habit. I'm sure most of us are guilty of silly whining sometimes, but the people who do it constantly, they're never going to enjoy life if they look for stuff to gripe about. 

It's gotten worse as she's gotten older. Everything is a *thing* and it is exhausting to listen to it. So I choose to change the subject or be direct and just say I don't want to hear about it. 

18 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

That I still haven’t canceled my cable.

I’m between jobs this week and the selections, day, night and weekend are awful anymore. I usually end up putting streaming on. I have no idea why I cling to cable but I think I’m about at the end of my rope. 

I'm the same way but I figure I can afford it without a ding to my budget and it will still work if the internet goes out since I use cable boxes and not their app, so I keep paying for it. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

You just described my MIL. She's 90, and gets set off by the most stupid things. For instance, she now hates her longtime opthalmologist because she thinks someone told her that he sucked. I go to the same doctor, and he's awesome. Everything is a major issue for her, and she's always complaining. It's so bad that her audiologist refused to continue an appointment there last week due to the screaming about absolutely nothing of consequence. She's making my husband physically ill. 

So yeah, that's a MAJOR peeve.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 5

I know someone whose mother supports them to this day. This girl screeching what will happen to me when my mom dies… they own the apartment and the maintenance is dirt cheap. The girl thinks working for minimum wage ($15) is beneath her. As you can imagine I’m sick of her. 

if she works for minimum wage she can support herself and while her mom is alive save $. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

You just described my MIL. She's 90, and gets set off by the most stupid things. For instance, she now hates her longtime opthalmologist because she thinks someone told her that he sucked. I go to the same doctor, and he's awesome. Everything is a major issue for her, and she's always complaining. It's so bad that her audiologist refused to continue an appointment there last week due to the screaming about absolutely nothing of consequence. She's making my husband physically ill. 

My MIL is the same way. It's because she has no conversation. My DH's whole side of the family doesn't know what to talk about unless they're complaining about something.

• Love 5
(edited)
52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My MIL is the same way. It's because she has no conversation. My DH's whole side of the family doesn't know what to talk about unless they're complaining about something.

My MIL lives in an active senior community. She talks to residents at meal times and to the CNAs and nurses who come to her apartment to dispense her meds, etc. She also has a rolodex chock full of family members' numbers. However, her list of people who will talk to her continues to diminish as she hammers people with her religious and political ideologies. That's on TOP of the complaints. I've long ago told her those topics were off limits. If she starts in, I hang up on her. Or if we're driving, I turn the car around and take her home. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Love 9
On 7/23/2022 at 5:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

My husband and I fight every day too but I wouldn't trade him for anything. Well, maybe a good dog.

Get a Poodle. 🙂

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

A very religious friend who happens to love a certain former president is so obnoxious people take a different aisle at the store when they see her. I've been so sick of her preaching I don't answer the phone when she calls sometimes. And I am not the only one. Some people just don't get it!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SJC said:

Get a Poodle. 🙂

I had two cockerpoos growing up. The male was practically a genius and you could hold conversations with him. He understood so many words. The female, bless her heart, was the dumbest dog I've ever seen. She could not be housebroken. She would run out in front of cars. My parents finally despaired and gave her away. They got her on the local kids TV show that had Adopt-A-Pet Fridays and she found another home.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I was sitting across the kitchen table from my MIL one day & saw her reaction when my BIL came in, bearing some bad news about an acquaintance who also lived in their town. Her eyes lit up as she asked for more information. She finally confirmed my suspicion that she preferred bad news rather than good news. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
On 7/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

My MIL had four kids .. my husband one of them.  When she didn’t get attention, she would throw herself in the hospital to make them feel guilty.  Drove my husband nuts.  To alleviate his stress, I used to pick her up and bring her to our house.  I was a Dope now that I think about it.  Too late.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My MIL had four kids .. my husband one of them.  When she didn’t get attention, she would throw herself in the hospital to make them feel guilty.  Drove my husband nuts.  To alleviate his stress, I used to pick her up and bring her to our house.  I was a Dope now that I think about it.  Too late.

You weren't "a dope". You were trying to keep her from doing her bad drama (so as to calm things down for your husband). At least you tried 🌸

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You weren't "a dope". You were trying to keep her from doing her bad drama (so as to calm things down for your husband). At least you tried 🌸

I learned a lot tho.  We are not that way with our kids.  We give them space.  They have enough growing up their families.  Don’t want to add stress to their lives.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/2/2022 at 8:51 AM, supposebly said:

I suggest to take the bullet and go with Lyft or Uber. I pay with Paypal. It's not worth your life.

I broke down after repeated annoyances with cab drivers in my city. One wanted me to join his mosque (I'm a lapsed catholic), another kept arguing with me where my house was. Never even mind how dirty the cars often are.

I nearly wept tears of joy when Lyft first came to my city after yearssss of dealing with hideous cab drivers!
My ongoing pet-peeves with taxi drivers include: 

-Rudeness/zero customer service; I know many taxi drivers are foreign and don’t speak great English, but courtesy is multilingual!

-Stinky and/or dirty cars/drivers…never fails to amaze me how gross some people allow themselves/their cars to get.

-Refusal to use air conditioning, as though the barely cracked windows will miraculously cool things down in a hot car and distract me from the often overwhelming stench of body odor courtesy of the driver baking in his nasty hot car.

-Credit card machines that are always mysteriously “broken;” makes me think back to all the times my drunken 20-something self was forcibly driven by many a taxi driver to a sketchy ATM during late night hours to get cash because their credit card machines were always “broken.”

-Showing up late and/or never. I can remember literally being stranded for hours sometimes when I called for a taxi outside of the metro city area. I’d often end up taking chances and admittedly driving my own drunk ass home after a night out just to avoid being stranded somewhere by non-existent taxi drivers.

-Misogynistic/pervy male drivers…I can’t tell you how many times as a young solitary female I’d feel immediately scared and/or judged by inappropriate cabbies. Never mind all the women over the decades who have been attacked/kidnapped by their taxi drivers.

I could go on and on, but I won’t!

That being said, Lyft/Uber is absolutely wonderful and so much safer and easier for solo female riders in so many ways. I cannot recommend rideshares enough and have only had maybe one or two troubling incidents as far as credit abuse in the nearly 10 years I’ve used Lyft/Uber, and even then my payment is quickly returned.

As far as taxis go, they can go extinct for all I care; there’s good reason why that field is dying a bit more around the US and I’m fine with that!

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Okay, I looked it up. I can do it from my computer! Yay!

Smartphones are typically used to request rides – that was the initial idea behind Uber’s creation – but it’s also possible to request an Uber ride online from almost any device.

You can request an Uber ride online via m.uber.com, whether that’s on:

An older phone with internet browsing capabilities

A tablet or laptop

A public desktop computer with internet access

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

One of my favorite podcasts* just had an interesting episode about Uber. Spoiler: they're just as evil as you suspected or should have suspected.

They dissect conspiracies and conspiracy theories and one of the hosts is an associate professor. They also do episodes about academic papers about conspiracy theorizing, mostly from philosophy but also political science.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I will never forget the Lyft ride where the drive was very obviously trying to get me to invite him over. It was so awful I contemplated getting dropped off at a different bar and calling another ride but it was super late and no one was outside. I always keep a cheap gold band in my wallet and have a "husband" waiting up for me. Because in these situations usually dictates a woman who "belongs" to another man, can be left alone, but a single woman must be "convinced" to do what the man wants. I left a good review, and tip, because he knew where I lived but I called after and reported him.

On the flip side, I'll also never forget the drive who had sealed 6pks of mini water bottles in the back seat, along with single, sealed mini bottles, to allow drunk people to feel secure about drinking water he provided. He said he put them in the back when he does late night bar closing runs and has the single sealed bottles in the back for day-time runs.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

The worst Lyft driver I ever had was an Amway rep and would not shut up about it the entire ride. He kept going on and on about his mentors who were teaching him how to retire early. Apparently it was going so well he was trying to recruit random strangers who were trapped in his car, unable to get away, lol. He got a good tip, because I felt sorry for someone who was dumb enough to fall for freaking Amway in this day and age, but I also reported him to Lyft. I can't imagine they want a driver trying to sell riders on another company during the drive. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Speaking of Uber/Lyft, I once placed an UberEats order and the delivery person never showed up.  In fact, he kept on going the wrong way.  We called the restaurant and they said the guy kind of looked "off."  Got our order refunded from Uber.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I always keep a cheap gold band in my wallet and have a "husband" waiting up for me. Because in these situations usually dictates a woman who "belongs" to another man, can be left alone, but a single woman must be "convinced" to do what the man wants. 

I'm sorry you went through all that. You handled it really well. This part is also quite common in other scenarios. If you work in an office full of men, it's so much easier when you're married or have a partner. When you're single and turn a man down for something, their reactions are a lot worse. They feel so much more rejected. Married women of course get hit on, but they're left alone more than us single gals are, and even slimy men often back off and don't take the rejection as badly. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm sorry you went through all that. You handled it really well. This part is also quite common in other scenarios. If you work in an office full of men, it's so much easier when you're married or have a partner. When you're single and turn a man down for something, their reactions are a lot worse. They feel so much more rejected. Married women of course get hit on, but they're left alone more than us single gals are, and even slimy men often back off and don't take the rejection as badly. 

Yep, since we're just objects to be possessed, they only respect the fact that we have male owners, never that we have autonomy or agency. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3