Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

After my second shot, I was nauseous for one month and lost ten lbs.  Dr. sent me for a complete blood work, a CT Scan of my abdomen and pelvic area and an Endoscopy of my stomach.  I was scared.  All Normal.  I know it was the shots.  I still feel very tired and not hungry anymore.  Lost total 16 lbs.

Everyone reacts differently, whether it's the vaccine or the disease itself.  Neither my husband nor I had any serious side effects (unless you count me freaking out in the middle of the night about doing the laundry!).  I had a relatively mild case when it came to COVID itself.  Sick for a day (chills, cough, sore throat), didn't lose sense of taste or smell (but it's not that common to do so with omicron anyway).  I was able to do mild exercises and even make dinner.  No loss of appetite.  My son had a fever for a day and that was it.  Not bad for a kid who hasn't been vaccinated.  Other than a cough that seems to be sticking around, even days after testing negative, my husband seems to be doing okay.  I've heard of people who get moderately to fairly sick with this wave - at least three people I know outside my family have recently tested positive.  Now that my son has had it, he can't get his first dose (Canada only approved vaccines for the youngest of kids on Thursday) until the end of August or early September.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 4

Starting to get really annoyed with fandoms and entitled people who think they can tell me what I can post and who I should like or not like because it doesn’t match their opinions and tastes and everyone needs to think the same way as them. Boohoo. If it’s relevant to the topic I’m going to post why a character annoyed me. I’m so tired of these overly attached people who see every criticism of a character as an attack on their personal identity. It’s not like we’re talking about gun control or the upcoming US midterms. If you’re that fragile over a show you’re the problem, not me. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Starting to get really annoyed with fandoms and entitled people who think they can tell me what I can post and who I should like or not like because it doesn’t match their opinions and tastes and everyone needs to think the same way as them. Boohoo. If it’s relevant to the topic I’m going to post why a character annoyed me. I’m so tired of these overly attached people who see every criticism of a character as an attack on their personal identity. It’s not like we’re talking about gun control or the upcoming US midterms. If you’re that fragile over a show you’re the problem, not me. 

Certain Fandoms are worse than others for this. 

In my experience the Dan Harmon fans are the worst.  You criticize community or Rick and Morty and they go crazy. And I like those shows. I just dont happen to think Dan Harmon is an infallible God. I've dropped out of those fan groups because of it. 

Though the community fans are also crazy for the time after he left the show. I mentioned it dropped off after the essential  reboot of it agter season 4.  I was basically told I was an idiot. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/16/2022 at 3:30 AM, Gramto6 said:

Egod to all of this! My first husband, the father of my two precious children  is still alive, married to another woman, God bless them.

My second husband was 21 years older than me and I guess in the end I was the end he was able to procure me in his way. He was cruel and punishing but his life in Hungary during WW2 framed a lot of his life. I know he really loved me and he did provide for me well for the rest of my life.  

But the cruelty just hurt and still does...

After everything, you still have a good attitude.  Some wouldn’t.  Xo.    My hubs let me have free reign with everything, and for that I’m grateful.  As long as he can still have his sports and golf, he’s happy.  😀

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Have you read anything from KPop fans? WOW, they are just obsessive. Apparently you have to "stan" groups & a lot of people feel it's wrong to just "stan" one person in the group, you must feel that way about the whole group or nothing.

• LOL 1

What's with UberEats sometimes showing that a restaurant is "too far to deliver" even if they're, like, a 10 minute walk away (and you're too lazy to pick up or you don't want to drag your 3 year old to come along with you)?  If you don't have enough couriers, just say so (as they sometimes do).  #justsayin 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

If it’s relevant to the topic I’m going to post why a character annoyed me.

So long as it's relevant, I just scroll on by if I disagree.  When I get annoyed is when it isn't relevant; the discussion is of Character A, B, C, whoever, and every fucking time they post someone has to instead talk about why Character Z is The Worst, because they are apparently congenitally incapable of discussing the show without frothing at the keyboard with their hatred for Character Z. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Decades ago when the internet was still new and shiny and the web was just emerging from Tim Burners-Lee’s man womb, I was on a mailing list for a TV show I deeply loved. Online fandom was new and I was new to fandom. Some of you are old enough to remember what it was like, people posting their fan coming-out stories as we all found each other online and realized we weren’t alone. As it turned out, I actually preferred being alone with the show although I did enjoy going to cons and making friends in the community. I’m appalled when I think about how badly I behaved. What I learned from that experience was that while fandom as a community and way of relating to texts of all kinds is a thing I very much love, I have to stay away from places where a show I am extremely attached to, one that feels like it’s mine, is discussed and any fan products involving it. I’m perfectly normal, fannishly speaking, when it’s a show I just like. But when obsessed I do not play well with others. (Imagine Daffy Duck shouting “Mine mine all mine”). Other people’s interpretations of the characters felt overwhelming and threatening in a very weird way that I hope I never, ever experience again.

I’ve just started rewatching that show for the first time in over 20 years and I’ve had to talk myself out of getting sucked back in and remember that I don’t have to talk to anyone. Well, I say talk but I mean argue. I became extremely defensive and felt like I had to in some way protect a character who was not very popular and was often in opposition to the character everyone, including me, loved. Even watching on my own I had all the negative views of others in my head and getting very worked up if anything happened on screen that I knew would be picked apart by the majority and couldn’t really enjoy the popular character. What a miserable way to be and I generously shared that misery to others. I send my apology to the universe.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

What's with UberEats sometimes showing that a restaurant is "too far to deliver" even if they're, like, a 10 minute walk away (and you're too lazy to pick up or you don't want to drag your 3 year old to come along with you)?  If you don't have enough couriers, just say so (as they sometimes do).  #justsayin 

Probably because of gas prices and they don’t want to say?  Now, they even deliver meat. Wish I had them in the day.  Best thing since sliced bread.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Certain Fandoms are worse than others for this. 

In my experience the Dan Harmon fans are the worst.  You criticize community or Rick and Morty and they go crazy. And I like those shows. I just dont happen to think Dan Harmon is an infallible God. I've dropped out of those fan groups because of it. 

Though the community fans are also crazy for the time after he left the show. I mentioned it dropped off after the essential  reboot of it agter season 4.  I was basically told I was an idiot. 

Lord, yes. I love "Community", it's one of my favorite shows, and I was one who found something to like about each season, even the fourth one - though in my case, I tend to find something to like about every season of all of my favorite shows in general, so feel free to take that stance with a grain of salt :p.

But yeeeeeeeeeah, that fandom could be...a lot, for sure. It especially annoyed me when people in that fandom went around acting like they were so superior to fans of other sitcoms because they liked this particular show. And they'd do that while simultaneously ranting about how ridiculous it was that the show wasn't a bigger hit and didn't have a bigger fanbase. Gee, I dunno, guys, maybe your attitude is turning off a lot of people who might otherwise want to check out and enjoy the show? Just a thought. To say nothing of how a) humor is subjective and I can love "Community" and also understand where its humor might not be everyone's bag, and b) it is possible to like more than one type of sitcom/style of humor. 

(Also? It's a comedy series, people. Maybe try keeping things in perspective in terms of its importance and influence on pop culture.) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

We just had this happen with DoorDash to a restaurant we get from all the time. The restaurant didn't even know it said that, once we told them, they contacted DoorDash & had it removed. I bet if you tell that restaurant they can get it removed too.

• Useful 1

I’ve just started rewatching that show for the first time in over 20 years and I’ve had to talk myself out of getting sucked back in and remember that I don’t have to talk to anyone. Well, I say talk but I mean argue. I became extremely defensive and felt like I had to in some way protect a character who was not very popular and was often in opposition to the character everyone, including me, loved.

Oh c'mon, you can tell us. Was it Dawson's Creek?

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Probably because of gas prices and they don’t want to say?  Now, they even deliver meat. Wish I had them in the day.  Best thing since sliced bread.

This includes places within walking distance.  We have walking and cycling delivery people all the time. 

Not a pet peeve really but on the uber eats/delivery topic, there is a self serve frozen yogurt place near me that does delivery.  

What's the point?  The fun and uniqueness is make your own at the store. And it will melt before you eat it

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not a pet peeve really but on the uber eats/delivery topic, there is a self serve frozen yogurt place near me that does delivery.  

What's the point?  The fun and uniqueness is make your own at the store. And it will melt before you eat it

Do they have their own delivery service?  If so, they're usually sent in freezer bags.  I get my groceries delivered once or twice a week and have ordered items which need to be kept at a cooler temperature.  Always in insulated bags with ice packs.

24 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Do they have their own delivery service?  If so, they're usually sent in freezer bags.  I get my groceries delivered once or twice a week and have ordered items which need to be kept at a cooler temperature.  Always in insulated bags with ice packs.

I thought of that but no it's not its own delivery, ubereats or one of them and it's a small store I'd be shocked if they had a good way to deliver it frozen.  

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought of that but no it's not its own delivery, ubereats or one of them and it's a small store I'd be shocked if they had a good way to deliver it frozen.  

That is exactly why I cancelled Hungary Root. The food fresh and frozen shipped in a padded box from CA. I'm in MT but my box had to go to the Fedex hub in Memphis TN where it usually sat for a day or more. By the time the food got to me, I would not risk eating any of the thawed frozen foods. I ended up throwing at least 1/2 of the food away. Quit after 2 deliveries, same situation both times. Now I order pantry items/snacks from Hive.com and get fresh and frozen foods from AzureStandard.com which comes once a month to a local grocery store parking lot in a freezer truck, room temp/cold/frozen solid, where we pick up our food orders. It is kind of chaotic, but the food is all safe to eat. 

• Useful 3
13 hours ago, PRgal said:

This includes places within walking distance.  We have walking and cycling delivery people all the time. 

Right.  Guess you have to call the restaurant like someone said.

8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

That is exactly why I cancelled Hungary Root. The food fresh and frozen shipped in a padded box from CA. I'm in MT but my box had to go to the Fedex hub in Memphis TN where it usually sat for a day or more. By the time the food got to me, I would not risk eating any of the thawed frozen foods. I ended up throwing at least 1/2 of the food away. Quit after 2 deliveries, same situation both times. Now I order pantry items/snacks from Hive.com and get fresh and frozen foods from AzureStandard.com which comes once a month to a local grocery store parking lot in a freezer truck, room temp/cold/frozen solid, where we pick up our food orders. It is kind of chaotic, but the food is all safe to eat. 

We have been taking lots of frozen food back lately.  Who knows how long it’s been sitting on a truck somewhere, even if the date looks good.  Food poisoning is a horror.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

Also didn't graduate from college until later in life, but I am going to interrupt the discussion for one of my regular rants, this time...

When I moved into the condo I purchased that I should not have, the former owner had taken the washer and dryer.
I bought new ones that were delivered yesterday, with the washer being a problem. 
The delivery people did not follow any of the prescribed protocols, so I may have some recourse.
Anyway, here's my review that I posted about the product (LG WT7100CW 4.5 cu. ft. Top Load Washer):

• Do not buy if you are under 5'9".
    Tub is 27" deep. Distance from my armpit to longest fingertip is 24". Not suitable for average height women or short men. Sales people don't know this.
    No exchanges permitted. 

Thank you for letting me rant.

ETA: It seems all top loading impeller washing machines are all showing 27" deep or more?? 
I'm curious. 
Anyone care to post the distance from your armpit to longest finger's tip? 

And now back to the discussion.

From armpit to finger tip 27” inches.  I’m 5’6”.  It’s a stretch to get the remaining socks.

• Love 1

I'm 5'3".  24 inches from armpit to fingertips.  You gotta kind of fling yourself into it.  We also keep a flashlight around because the rodents keep chewing the lighting wires (it's in an exterior garage) - that can be useful for moving things closer to the front so the flinging works better.

You are a member of a tool-using race after all.  But it is peevy.

Get a grabber tool.

I have one upstairs, one downstairs in the laundry room, and a folding one I can throw in my tote bag to bring along for things on high shelves in the store. We have a laundry chute in one of the bathrooms that's supposed to deposit dirty clothes into a basket on top of the dryer, but if I toss a lot of things down the chute at once, a couple of items inevitably fall behind the dryer. That's when the basement grabber comes in very handy, but I can easily see using it to extract remote socks from the dryer. I love these things.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Texting pet peeves

When people use group texts nonstop when they only have business with one person. 

Sending me regular sports texts. My family and friends should all know I don't care. 

I love babies and kids, but my sister will regularly send tons of pictures and videos of her friends' kids. I can barely get to them all, and it's annoying having to delete everything. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I feel you on my newish top-loader.  It's much deeper than the old, although I can reach the bottom.  My bigger peeve is the agitator.  I think it's ripping up my towels.  My friend just got a new top loader without an agitator.  I wish I had that!

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I feel you on my newish top-loader.  It's much deeper than the old, although I can reach the bottom.  My bigger peeve is the agitator.  I think it's ripping up my towels.  My friend just got a new top loader without an agitator.  I wish I had that!

I got one of those top loaders without an agitator, but my clothes come out knotted, the towels get those rips like yours and I have tried so many solutions without curing the issue. 😡

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got one of those top loaders without an agitator, but my clothes come out knotted, the towels get those rips like yours and I have tried so many solutions without curing the issue. 😡

Now I'm wondering what to buy when this *&)!*(# front-loader bites the dust.  I was convinced a top loader, sans agitator was the answer.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I love babies and kids, but my sister will regularly send tons of pictures and videos of her friends' kids. I can barely get to them all, and it's annoying having to delete everything. 

So the kids aren't even your nieces and nephews?  Yikes.  As a new grandmother I only send baby pics to friends if I ask them first. 

I had a cousin who went to a friend's wedding (I didn't know the friend) and she sent me all the pics she took.  I'm old enough to remember the joke about people wanting to show you their vacation slides.  That has become the reality for everyone with a cell phone. People sending random pics to people that nobody cares about.

Speaking of cell phones.  My pet peeve is when your cell phone provider tells you your phone is the problem when you have no service.  Every time I call to complain I have no service (using my landline or calling from a different location with service) I am told I need to go buy a new phone.  They get flustered when I tell them clearly my phone is not the problem since I am currently using it to call them.  It is always a tower that is the problem but they will do their best to avoid admitting that. At least they have stopped trying to sell me Direct TV as I'm telling them how unhelpful they have been. 

Edited by bluegirl147
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So the kids aren't even your nieces and nephews?  Yikes.  As a new grandmother I only send baby pics to friends if I ask them first. 

I had a cousin who went to a friend's wedding (I didn't know the friend) and she sent me all the pics she took.  I'm old enough to remember the joke about people wanting to show you their vacation slides.  That has become the reality for everyone with a cell phone. People sending random pics to people that nobody cares about.

Nope! And not even friends that are mutual friends of ours. I'm the first to oooh and aww over little ones, but I don't need her friends' kids entire photo albums. Honestly, they'd probably find it weird too if they knew how much she sends their pictures to our family. She also sends the pictures to our parents. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Now I'm wondering what to buy when this *&)!*(# front-loader bites the dust.  I was convinced a top loader, sans agitator was the answer.  

I bought a top loader sans agitator a few years ago, and I consider it to be one of the best appliances I've ever purchased. 

• Useful 2
41 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I bought a top loader sans agitator a few years ago, and I consider it to be one of the best appliances I've ever purchased. 

I bought that type about 6 or 7 years ago and really like it too, but....it started making a squealing noise when spinning and the repairman said the main bearing was going bad and that it would be cheaper to replace the washer rather than trying to fix it.  FWIW, he said this is a known issue with top loading agitator free washers and so he recommends against purchasing them.  🤷‍♀️

• Useful 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

I bought that type about 6 or 7 years ago and really like it too, but....it started making a squealing noise when spinning and the repairman said the main bearing was going bad and that it would be cheaper to replace the washer rather than trying to fix it.  FWIW, he said this is a known issue with top loading agitator free washers and so he recommends against purchasing them.  🤷‍♀️

Just when I thought @JTMacc99 had me back in, you pull me out again!  lol

I guess there's only one answer:  Laundry Service  👸 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
14 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

the repairman said the main bearing was going bad and that it would be cheaper to replace the washer rather than trying to fix it.

Heh. That's EXACTLY the part that broke on my previous with-agitator washing machine.  When the repair guy attempted to fix it, he literally broke his tool trying to get at the broken part. That's when I got the advice that I'd be better off buying a new one.

The strategy I'm rolling with for the rest of my life will be: "They're all going to break at some point, so I'm sticking with the one I like the best when it's not broken." I can't count the number of times I had to unwind a drawstring from a pair of sweatpants or a hoodie from the agitator on the old machine. Haven't had a single incident of ruined anything since I got this one.

The statement "things like appliances aren't built like they use to be" is annoyingly true. I guess I can accept that things are going to break, but it sure is vexing to see my reasonably new refrigerator in the kitchen kind of suck, while the beige 1990 machine in the basement is still running perfectly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

The statement "things like appliances aren't built like they use to be" is annoyingly true. I guess I can accept that things are going to break, but it sure is vexing to see my reasonably new refrigerator in the kitchen kind of suck, while the beige 1990 machine in the basement is still running perfectly.

But how many of those 1990 refrigerators have died and are now in a landfill?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

But how many of those 1990 refrigerators have died and are now in a landfill?

According to my research, none.  They're all still running or in somebody's front yard. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh. That's EXACTLY the part that broke on my previous with-agitator washing machine.  When the repair guy attempted to fix it, he literally broke his tool trying to get at the broken part. That's when I got the advice that I'd be better off buying a new one.

The strategy I'm rolling with for the rest of my life will be: "They're all going to break at some point, so I'm sticking with the one I like the best when it's not broken." I can't count the number of times I had to unwind a drawstring from a pair of sweatpants or a hoodie from the agitator on the old machine. Haven't had a single incident of ruined anything since I got this one.

Same. I can't see needing an agitator in the washer unless you work in a coal mine or something.

• LOL 1

I have a top load washer without an agitator and it works fine, for the most part. I do have to lean almost all the way in to get that last errant sock out and I've found that bigger loads tend to get off balance quite a bit (which makes the washer sing a song that scares the hell out of the dog). But it uses much less water than my old front loader and the cycles seem to be faster. 

I have had to replace my fridge/freezer three times in less than 15 years. I've had different brands each time and they all seem to die before they hit the 5 year mark. 

• Mind Blown 4
32 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

According to my research, none.  They're all still running or in somebody's front yard. 

When I moved here to MT in 2004 I bought a brand new GE refrigerator.  It died exactly one month after the 2 yr warranty ran out. I bought a used Roper made in 1998 and it is still running strong!

Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

So sorry I got rid of my old washer that still worked, but had the “smell” you can’t get rid of no matter what.  These new machines SUCK.  Not enough water, does not clean like the old one, and the soaps are full of chemicals.  

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Yep!  I regret getting rid of my original washer.  It was 20 years old and still working fine, but since I had to replace the dryer I decided to get a whole new set.  Now I'm babying the washer along since I can't bear to replace it when it's so (relatively) new.  I don't fill it more than 3/4 full and I stop and adjust immediately if it sounds off balance, and so far it's working OK.  (Knock on wood!)  From what the repair guy said it's more likely to gradually go bad or start leaking rather than have a catastrophic failure, so that's a risk I'm willing to take.

• Sad 1
(edited)

At least I won’t have to worry about this for much longer but I have so few days of work left and at this point, it really sucks attending the daily stand-ups and saying I don’t have work to do, knowing I’ll spend my last few days on crap projects and busy work. (Which also played a role into my leaving…this has been going on for months.) 

Just have to hang on until Friday and then someone else can take on the scrap work…although I had to admit I felt odd yesterday when the rest of the team had a training scheduled and I was left out. I understood why but I hate the limbo of being on the way out but also still needing to be all in. I may or may not be doing some malicious compliance at this point by not exerting myself to ask for work but completing what’s given to me…

Edit: And half my team (we’re not a huge team to begin with) just dumped their leftover projects on me. Can I secretly hate them all and rejoice that starting next week, they’re stuck with those projects? 🤣

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

At least I won’t have to worry about this for much longer but I have so few days of work left and at this point, it really sucks attending the daily stand-ups and saying I don’t have work to do, knowing I’ll spend my last few days on crap projects and busy work. (Which also played a role into my leaving…this has been going on for months.) 

Just have to hang on until Friday and then someone else can take on the scrap work…although I had to admit I felt odd yesterday when the rest of the team had a training scheduled and I was left out. I understood why but I hate the limbo of being on the way out but also still needing to be all in. I may or may not be doing some malicious compliance at this point by not exerting myself to ask for work but completing what’s given to me…

Edit: And half my team (we’re not a huge team to begin with) just dumped their leftover projects on me. Can I secretly hate them all and rejoice that starting next week, they’re stuck with those projects? 🤣

Maybe do some work on all those projects, but don't leave a record of what you've done? Just leave them different than they were.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

Maybe do some work on all those projects, but don't leave a record of what you've done? Just leave them different than they were.

Haha they’re one-off tasks so there’s not much of a record to leave other than to say they’re complete or need to be passed off to Jane or Mary or whoever is free.

I hate that I just want to leave happily and my coworkers are choosing now to make my life hell. Even this morning one of my coworkers openly told my boss in our team Slack oh I got XYZ so you can just pass ABC off to Cloud9 if you have to. I should be happy I only have a couple days left and now I’m stressed and annoyed because they can use me to dump off work they don’t want to do or “don’t have time for.”

43 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Haha they’re one-off tasks so there’s not much of a record to leave other than to say they’re complete or need to be passed off to Jane or Mary or whoever is free.

I hate that I just want to leave happily and my coworkers are choosing now to make my life hell. Even this morning one of my coworkers openly told my boss in our team Slack oh I got XYZ so you can just pass ABC off to Cloud9 if you have to. I should be happy I only have a couple days left and now I’m stressed and annoyed because they can use me to dump off work they don’t want to do or “don’t have time for.”

So don't do it, what are they going to do to you? Fire you?

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

Peeve: unsecured animals in cars. Sure, little FluffButt sure looks cute sitting on your lap with its head out the window, or chillin' in the backseat, but if you hit the brakes, hit the car in front of you, or get rear-ended FluffyButt will have a moment of terror before dying an instant, or painful death as a projectile.

An object in motion will remain in motion. Secure your animals.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, GaT said:

So don't do it, what are they going to do to you? Fire you?

Yes, and you could enjoy thinking about next week’s meeting when coworker is informed that Cloud9 didn’t get to ABC so it’s now their responsibility again!

• Like 2

Memo to the guy somewhere in our neighborhood STILL shooting off loud booming fireworks each night:

The Fourth of July was a couple weeks ago. And you're freaking out my cat. Knock it off. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Memo to the guy somewhere in our neighborhood STILL shooting off loud booming fireworks each night:

The Fourth of July was a couple weeks ago. And you're freaking out my cat. Knock it off. 

At great risk of appearing to be a buzz kill, I sincerely wish that neighborhood/amateur fireworks would be outlawed.  Leave it to the professionals for the love of God.  It's bananas.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

At great risk of appearing to be a buzz kill, I sincerely wish that neighborhood/amateur fireworks would be outlawed.  Leave it to the professionals for the love of God.  It's bananas.

Honestly, I agree with you. Way too many people getting their hands on explosives (and other weaponry) that they don't have the first clue how to handle responsibly. 

Especially considering how hot and dry it's been over much of the U.S. Not really the time to be lighting off anything, period. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

At great risk of appearing to be a buzz kill, I sincerely wish that neighborhood/amateur fireworks would be outlawed.

Even in areas where they are - I live in one - we still endure them, as there are so many loopholes to begin with and then there are the people who just flout the prohibition that remains.  It has to go deeper, but even setting laws at the sale, rather than use, level only makes a dent when neighboring municipalities do things differently.  We need to uniformly regulate at the manufacturing level.

And the technology exists, even without going so far as laser light shows (which have many limitations and aren't feasible everywhere), to have far quieter fireworks -- while maintaining the visual effect; in fact, some are even more colorful than traditional fireworks.  It doesn't eradicate the problem, but if those were all that were legally available, just them being that much quieter would ease the burden not just on people and pet owners who can at least take alleviation steps but on the wild animals who suffer sometimes horrendous consequences from what they can't possibly understand (freaking out, they can abandon their nests/dens and run into buildings/roadways in terror, they can consume the heavy metal casings left behind and become ill, etc.).

Edited by Bastet
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4