Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Depending on what type of tile, a steam mop is great.

That's what I use, a Shark steam mop.

I also have an old Hoover Floormate wet/dry machine that is fantastic, with a nice thick brush for scrubbing.  It's a "deep clean" machine, basically the hard floor equivalent of a carpet shampooer, so it's bigger and heavier; I don't have room to store it in the house, plus it's a bit of a pain to use on the regular (there's a dirty water tank to empty halfway through the floor), so I got the steam mop for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom floors.  But I could not part with that thing; I keep the Hoover out in the garage, as that's attached to my game room, which has concrete floors and which gets dirtier than the house because that gets multiple people, wearing shoes, tracking in and out of it (well, when we're not in the middle of a pandemic), so the Hoover is what I use for that room.

I will say the fact it's an old one is quite likely the reason it works so well.  A new one is probably good, but not great.  I say this because my Shark steam mop is not as good as my mom's, which is about ten years older than mine.  And my Dyson vacuum isn't as good as my mom's, which is older, and neither of ours have anything on the early-generation Dyson vac my friend has.  With each iteration, they make them lighter and more compact, for maneuverability, and add gadgets for the "neat-o" factor, but you sacrifice motor quality - meaning, in this case, suction power - when you lose the weight.  So if anyone has an older, heavier machine, hold onto it until you no longer have the strength and dexterity to use it, because the clunkiness is what gives you the power.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have something like this (look for "ocedar spray mop" if the link doesn't work).  The pad is washable and the solution tank is refillable (unlike Swiffer).  I still have to drag out the "real" mop every once in a while but this takes care of most of the cleanup.

https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-ProMist-Microfiber-Spray-Refills/dp/B07FMPT1LG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3BFSI11185GUC&keywords=ocedar+spray+mop&qid=1654975456&sprefix=ocedar+spray+mop%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-5

I'm loving this and THANK YOU! (and it is not expensive on Amazon)

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, emma675 said:

This is what I was going to recommend, too. And if you have pets, it's safer than Swiffer wet products. 

Thank you.  I don't have pets right now.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

My parents covered my education (everything - including books and living expenses) and I'm grateful for that.  However, sometimes, people like me don't want to admit that, because we're fearful of being criticized.  They never wanted me to work while I was at school - I was meant to concentrate in my studies.  Work was for the summer or co-op opportunities and money made was meant to be invested/put away for what's now termed "adulting."  I'm now okay with admitting that, but this wasn't the case when I was younger. 

I've always dealt with the occasional "Must be nice" comments by saying "It is, thank you" and holding eye contact.  If I didn't acknowledge my privilege, it would be something to call me on.  Since I freely admit being a third-baser allowed me to start building my savings early, creating the foundation that ultimately led to being able to choose a career in public interest law while still being able to own a home, do some traveling, etc., all anyone is doing is pointing out a reality, not a hypocrisy, so I can engage in that with no problem.

My dad grew up in abject poverty, my mom working and then middle class.  I grew up middle and then upper-middle class, because my parents came of age when higher education was a solid path to financial security and was accessible without incurring crippling debt. 

They taught me the importance of saving, and I didn't come within a country mile of getting everything I wanted just because they could afford it -- I got the best of the necessities, and I got some treats.  I was deliberately taught perspective; they were happy to be able to give me more than their parents had been able to give them, but they'd be damned if they were going to raise a spoiled brat who didn't understand what their parents did, what they did, and how the world works for people who don't get the breaks I did as a result of all that (without  laying a guilt trip on me).

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have something like this (look for "ocedar spray mop" if the link doesn't work).  The pad is washable and the solution tank is refillable (unlike Swiffer).  I still have to drag out the "real" mop every once in a while but this takes care of most of the cleanup.

https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-ProMist-Microfiber-Spray-Refills/dp/B07FMPT1LG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3BFSI11185GUC&keywords=ocedar+spray+mop&qid=1654975456&sprefix=ocedar+spray+mop%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-5

I have the Rubbermaid version of that and it is great on my tile floor.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've always dealt with the occasional "Must be nice" comments by saying "It is, thank you" and holding eye contact.  If I didn't acknowledge my privilege, it would be something to call me on.  Since I freely admit being a third-baser allowed me to start building my savings early, creating the foundation that ultimately led to being able to choose a career in public interest law while still being able to own a home, do some traveling, etc., all anyone is doing is pointing out a reality, not a hypocrisy, so I can engage in that with no problem.

My dad grew up in abject poverty, my mom working and then middle class.  I grew up middle and then upper-middle class, because my parents came of age when higher education was a solid path to financial security and was accessible without incurring crippling debt. 

They taught me the importance of saving, and I didn't come within a country mile of getting everything I wanted just because they could afford it -- I got the best of the necessities, and I got some treats.  I was deliberately taught perspective; they were happy to be able to give me more than their parents had been able to give them, but they'd be damned if they were going to raise a spoiled brat who didn't understand what their parents did, what they did, and how the world works for people who don't get the breaks I did as a result of all that (without  laying a guilt trip on me).

My mother came from old money but interestingly enough, she was very much into not handing me anything. If I wanted a treat, like going to the movies or a concert I had better work for it. One summer my BFF  and I cleaned houses another summer we picked strawberries and blueberries. I had to do my chores or I didn't get my allowance. 

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

Two peeves today!

First, my grocery store has two different sizes of carts.  Although it does not affect me personally, it really peeves me when people mix the sizes when they return the carts to the cart corral (or whatever that space in the parking lot is called).  How hard is it to put the large carts in one row and the smaller carts in another?

Second, TV stations that have pop-up ads at the bottom of the screen when there are subtitles on the show I'm watching.  It's really hard to read the subtitles through a solid pop-up ad.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

First, my grocery store has two different sizes of carts.  Although it does not affect me personally, it really peeves me when people mix the sizes when they return the carts to the cart corral (or whatever that space in the parking lot is called).  How hard is it to put the large carts in one row and the smaller carts in another?

Omg, I think we go to the same grocery store! I feel bad for those teenage cart wranglers!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Boston said:

I have bought alot of products i.e. Swiffer etc. to wash my kitchen floor (I have been doing it by hand with ammonia and water).  My floor is really big. I am getting older and really don't want to be on my hands and knees.  Anyone have suggestions?  It is a tile floor and it is WHITE.. ugh.  it has many squares in it.  Thanks.

There’s nothing like a scrub brush.  I use a scrub brush on a stick. I i

use a pine Sol solution. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Second, TV stations that have pop-up ads at the bottom of the screen when there are subtitles on the show I'm watching.  It's really hard to read the subtitles through a solid pop-up ad.

This drives me nuts!

I think the trend of pasting things all over the screen started with 9/11, when we needed to know everything that could possibly be happening all at the same time--which we probably did. But not for more than a few days. And then it just went on and on and got constantly worse. Now the whole bottom third of the screen on the news networks is captions, which we don't need if we're listening to what they're saying. Plus the crawl. And the promos for other shows that pop up constantly on regular shows that obscure what you're supposed to be seeing on the show you're actually trying to watch. I figure these people are in the TV business, so can't they figure out in advance where to put the promo ad so it doesn't block anything? I'm sure that with a couple of days' worth of training, I could.

Thanks for bringing that up, @Browncoat. I obviously needed to vent.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I remember one from years ago that featured the shadows of roaches scurrying across the bottom corner of the screen before a pest control ad would pop up there. I almost threw my shoe at the screen the first time it happened. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I can't stand commercials or videos where the words being said pop up on the screen as they're being said.  Not subtitles on the bottom but like a video graphic of the words.  Like say this one.

annoys the f*** out of me.  I have to change the channel. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

And even if I hadn't always been able to pay my credit card bill in full each month, I'd have still bought booze, gone to the movies, ordered in, and had nights out.  Not excessively, so I agree a scenario like @SusanM describes, where someone with significant debt is spending $20-30 every single day to have food delivered, is unwise, and it would be hard not to roll my eyes at someone regularly living like that also keeping up a constant stream of complaining about their financial situation.  But I wouldn't feel I wasn't "allowed" to sometimes spend $30 on lunch just because I could have made one instead for $5.

I have a sister who is 86 yrs old and is so cheap it’s not even funny.  She wouldn’t be in my bridal party as she would have to buy her dress.  She buys clothes from the thrift store.  She only buys food if it’s on sale.  She never eats out, and never tasted fast food.  No movies or anything of pleasure.  They live in another state and stood with us for one week Christmastime with three kids.  At the end of their stay, we ordered Chinese food, and when delivered, my husband.  paid.  They wouldn’t.  They buy used cars.  They sent their son to college without a meal plan and gave him chunky soups to eat.  All her three kids are cheap too.  They are all up there in age.  I want to know when will they all enjoy their money?  No vacations ever.  Who could live like that?  We can’t.  My husband says it’s a sickness.  If and when we visit, we bring the food, and make it as they never put their hands in their pocket.  It’s nauseating.  We don’t live like that, and put three kids thru college.  They didn’t even come to my kids weddings, as they would have to give an envelope.  When my parents died, we paid for their flowers and never got the money back.  WTF?  Talk about cheap.  We can’t live like that.  We don’t live above our means, but we eat out here n there, go on vacation, and buy new cars.  In other words, we live, but also have savings, 401ks etc.  and are generous with our kids and grandkids.  My sister has three kids, but only one is married.  The other two don’t want to date as it will cost them money.  Who lives like this?  When will they all enjoy their money?  All this sacrificing for what?  They are just unbelievable, and I just can’t with them anymore.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

Last Sunday I saw a 1015 AM screening of Maverick. It was perfect, empty and I was able to get stuff done. I was planning on doing the same thing this Sunday for Fallen Kingdom but there's no AM screening and I have too much to do to see a 1pm show which would eat my after..meh

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Boston said:

I ordered this on Amazon.  with my points.. 21 bucks.  Thanks.

Points? Points??? There are points on Amazon?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Boston said:

I said 'points' but it is 'rewards balance'.  I stand corrected.

Amazon has rewards?!  The most I’ve ever seen are credits from some Kindle books for my next purchase or digital credits for no-hurry shipping. Obviously I’ve missed something somewhere!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Amazon has rewards?!  The most I’ve ever seen are credits from some Kindle books for my next purchase or digital credits for no-hurry shipping. Obviously I’ve missed something somewhere!

Certain credit cards, like Capital One, make your cash back rewards easily spendable on Amazon.  So I can order new lightning cables, because I have teenagers who constantly destroy lightning cables, and when I'm checking out it might ask me, "Would you like to use your $8.31 balance of Capital One Rewards?"

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

People who have never been poor have no idea how excruciatingly hard it is to be poor.

I can attest that living it, even if your life eventually takes you in a different direction, is a feeling that never leaves you. Spend some time in your life where you don't go to the mailbox for like a week or more because you can't take the gut punch of what bills and collection notices might show up. Spend some time hoping that your debit card still has that money you think it has when you go to buy gas for your car. Spend some time contemplating that your retirement plan is to keep working.

It doesn't matter how far from that situation your life takes you, or how much time has passed, you don't forget.  That's how excruciatingly hard it is.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

It doesn't matter how far from that situation your life takes you, or how much time has passed, you don't forget.  That's how excruciatingly hard it is.

I can attest to that. More than a decade of my life being poor and I come from a family with little to spend when I was young.

I had one year where I had 5 bucks per day to spend. I'm well-off now and could afford to buy a condo 4 years ago. But I'm OBSESSED with paying off my mortgage. To the extent that I think it's affecting my joy in life. I just want this debt hanging over my head gone because I'm always worried something will happen and my money will be gone. 6 more years.

I still FEEL like a poor person.

• Hugs 3
  • Love 10
(edited)
15 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I can attest to that. More than a decade of my life being poor and I come from a family with little to spend when I was young.

I had one year where I had 5 bucks per day to spend. I'm well-off now and could afford to buy a condo 4 years ago. But I'm OBSESSED with paying off my mortgage. To the extent that I think it's affecting my joy in life. I just want this debt hanging over my head gone because I'm always worried something will happen and my money will be gone. 6 more years.

Living with no debt is much more enjoyable than anything I could buy and living in debt. 

Three years with no car payments no house payments no student debt and no financial concerns. Stress is way down. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

There’s nothing like a scrub brush.  I use a scrub brush on a stick. I i

use a pine Sol solution. 

I love Pine Sol for cleaning floors! It gets the floor clean, like really clean and so shiny.

25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love Pine Sol for cleaning floors! It gets the floor clean, like really clean and so shiny.

How about Spic n Span?  My Mother used it for everything .. so do I.  Too many new things to choose from.  Makes me dizzy.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

How about Spic n Span?  My Mother used it for everything .. so do I.  Too many new things to choose from.  Makes me dizzy.

I like Pine Sol because it's not soapy. There's very little rinsing and the floors literally get squeaky clean.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Living with no debt is much more enjoyable than anything I could buy and living in debt. 

Three years with no car payments no house payments no student debt and no financial concerns. Stress is way down. 

Yes to both of these!  I also grew up in a family that didn't have a lot of extras and it definitely impacted how I handled my finances as an adult.  Paying down my mortgage was one of my highest priorities as well for exactly the reasons mentioned.  Even after everything was paid off it took years until I was comfortable with the idea that I had extra disposable income and didn't have to watch every penny.   But now it's definitely such a relief to not have any major outstanding debt anymore and I will try my hardest to keep things that way.

@supposebly, very impressive that you'll have your mortgage paid off in 10 years!

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Rose Quartz said:

Yes to both of these!  I also grew up in a family that didn't have a lot of extras and it definitely impacted how I handled my finances as an adult.  Paying down my mortgage was one of my highest priorities as well for exactly the reasons mentioned.  Even after everything was paid off it took years until I was comfortable with the idea that I had extra disposable income and didn't have to watch every penny.   But now it's definitely such a relief to not have any major outstanding debt anymore and I will try my hardest to keep things that way.

@supposebly, very impressive that you'll have your mortgage paid off in 10 years!

In my family, we don't believe in life insurance. We believe in owning our homes free and clear and handing them down to the next generation. That's the way we've always done it and it works well for us.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Certain credit cards, like Capital One, make your cash back rewards easily spendable on Amazon.  So I can order new lightning cables, because I have teenagers who constantly destroy lightning cables, and when I'm checking out it might ask me, "Would you like to use your $8.31 balance of Capital One Rewards?"

Watch out, though.  I'm sure this isn't true for all cards, but a while back, I had the option to use points from one of my cards on Amazon.  Reading the fine print, though, they were actually worth less than their face value.  Better to put it on the card and earn more points, then use the points on something worth more!  (I know, I know... the effort of doing the math and keeping track of where to spend the points probably wasn't worth the $1.12 or whatever that I saved.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Watch out, though.  I'm sure this isn't true for all cards, but a while back, I had the option to use points from one of my cards on Amazon.  Reading the fine print, though, they were actually worth less than their face value.  Better to put it on the card and earn more points, then use the points on something worth more!  (I know, I know... the effort of doing the math and keeping track of where to spend the points probably wasn't worth the $1.12 or whatever that I saved.)

Another reason why I do not deal with Amazon anymore.

(edited)
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I agree on Pine Sol.  My mother used Breath-O-Pine, and that is what clean smells like.  I used to buy it, but I never see it now, so I buy Pine Sol. 

However, and I'm acting crazy here, I also keep Spic and Span on hand for a change of pace LOL.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

See above, Peaches's quote got left out.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

5 minutes ago, rcc said:

Another reason why I do not deal with Amazon anymore.

This isn't limited to Amazon. Trading points on a card for credits on any website, or gift cards, or most anything is never a great deal.

• Useful 2
(edited)

So in order to make this an appropriate entry for Pet Peeves, I hate the smell of some other cleaning products.  Fabuloso in particular.  Ugh.  Also, I tried a Brand X pine cleaner from the dollar store and it smelled awful.  I actually threw it out. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I don't like any of those new sweeper mops either.  They don't allow you to apply enough pressure or friction to really clean IMO.  If I'm not getting out the scrub brush on a stick (it's really called a deck brush), I prefer an old fashioned string mop.  There's a reason they have lasted through the ages, although you have to change them out often enough 'cause they get grungy.  I get them at the dollar store.  I have a great bucket with a strainer device on top to wring out the mop.  Or I use a rag soaked in Pine Sol solution that I push around with the scrub brush on a stick. 

And sometimes you just have to get on your hands and knees anyway.  I have to do that to get into some corners of the bathroom, e.g.  d

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Sad 1
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

In my family, we don't believe in life insurance. We believe in owning our homes free and clear and handing them down to the next generation. That's the way we've always done it and it works well for us.

People usually need life insurance when they are younger in case of a horrible disaster.  Your family is ahead on that score by several generations.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

So in order to make this an appropriate entry for Pet Peeves, I hate the smell of some other cleaning products.  Fabuloso in particular.  Ugh.  Also, I tried a Brand X pine cleaner from the dollar store and it smelled awful.  I actually threw it out. 

I like a few drops of the purple Fabuloso in the bowl after I clean it with Clorox.  My Mothers house always smelled of Clorox and mothballs.  She used to put mothballs under the sofa pillows.  I don’t know why.  Mothball and paint drying used to drive me nuts.  That’s when paint used to smell awful.

• Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

A good idea but term life insurance is pretty cheap and well worth it still. Just avoid whole life insurance. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I can't stand the smell of Lysol. Bleh.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Boston said:

I said 'points' but it is 'rewards balance'.  I stand corrected.

Gosh, I got all excited there for a moment LOL. 

7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

You can also just apply it to your credit card balance which is what I usually do. 

• Love 1

The myth of life insurance as a universal need is very frustrating, especially when subjected to such awful commercials for the various plans.  If someone depends on your income, so will be in a world of hurt without it if you croak, life insurance is a smart investment (that's what it's designed for, and why it was traditionally offered by employers as a benefit).  Otherwise, there are generally better estate planning strategies if you're concerned with what assets you'll pass on upon death.

Regarding the stress reduction in living debt free (or with limited, manageable debt, like a mortgage), there have been multiple "Does money buy happiness?" studies that conclude the obvious:  yes and no.  Earning enough money to know monthly bills are easily covered and there's a savings cushion for unexpected expenses greatly increases quality of life -- it buys a sense of security, which increases happiness.  But that's a plateau; happiness doesn't rise much or at all if income increases beyond that.  Financial security and accumulation of wealth are two different things, and while the former relieves a giant source of daily stress and thus improves quality of life, the latter isn't going to buy additional happiness if one is still unhappy based on all the other factors that contribute to it.  Using some of that excess wealth to help others, though, is shown to increase happiness.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I love my balcony and try to sit out there as often as I can, but I really, really wish that whoever built these condos that I live in had been a bit more generous with them. We can fit a bistro set for 2 but it's super-tight, a bit of twisting if you need to stoop down for some reason (and god forbid if we want to get something out of the closet out there, we basically have to move the furniture into the living room). However, the closet isn't the biggest deal; it is nice to have and nothing we need often is in there. What IS a real pain is trying to sweep the dropped bird food (or scrub the bird poop--why do they poop on the balcony of the lady who feeds and loves them so much?! Little awesome ingrates). Those chores would be no big deal at all, if not for the contorting I have to do! I've been browsing bistro sets with folding chairs and/or table but am not having much luck (and it seems wasteful when I already have a set).

And while I am bitching about this condo, my unit, as well as all of the upper-level ones facing the back, have a slanted ceiling from the living room to the upstairs and it would have been perfect for a skylight! I never really thought about it until I started working at home full time; my desk is in a sort of a loft area overlooking the living room and a skylight would give me some nice natural light, even on a gray kind of day like today.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
(edited)

I have autumn coloring, which means I look best in dark colors. But I LOVE soft colors and also think bright colors are so fun. I envy everyone who looks best in pastels, especially pink. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
On 6/8/2022 at 1:57 PM, ECM1231 said:

Huh? You're reading an awful lot into what I wrote. Never did I say I expected home cooked dinners every night. Nor any night, for that matter. What I said was that when we visit they expect us to fend for ourselves. They don't have any foods we would normally eat and as I said my husband doesn't want to eat fast food for lunch; he's strictly a deli meat sandwich person for lunch and  a meat and potatoes guy for dinner. We can't eat out with them b/c the establishments they frequent would not appeal to my husband.. Even Sunday dinner when we have our pasta, there have to be meatballs, too.   Even when we attempted to make dinner for ourselves, our son was v

But, but, but.... I guess what you are saying is that we meat eaters should just shut up and be content with salad, veggies, grains, and maybe pasta? Why can't we have our MEAT and eat it, too?  I'm a little easier than my husband in that regard. He will never, ever go to a vegetarian or vegan place for a meal. He wants his steak! 

So, when we are invited to a function where the hosts are vegan/vegetarian they shouldn't have a meat option for us?  Doesn't seem fair to me. 

If someone has an ethical or even dietary objection to a certain food, they should have no obligation to serve it.  My vegetarian child is having a large family event this summer.  They won't be serving meat.  I genuinely don't understand why is this unfair to the meat eaters.  Why can't your husband eat his steak before/after the event?

On 6/10/2022 at 4:06 AM, ABay said:

For those like me who have no idea what TIL means, it stands for Today I Learned. And my peeve of the day is having to click on a link to get a definition instead of seeing the answer in the 2 line description of the site in Google.

Thank you @ABay.  I get very irritated when I have to look up initialisms.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, RealHousewife said:

How are you a golden girl at 40+ when you're still young enough to easily be a GG daughter?

Not sure how easy this is:

Great granddaughter = 40+

Granddaughter = 60+

Daughter = 80+

Original parent = 100+

On 6/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, kristen111 said:

Could be the chemicals!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

If someone has an ethical or even dietary objection to a certain food, they should have no obligation to serve it.  My vegetarian child is having a large family event this summer.  They won't be serving meat.  I genuinely don't understand why is this unfair to the meat eaters.  Why can't your husband eat his steak before/after the event?

Thank you @ABay.  I get very irritated when I have to look up initialisms.

Not sure how easy this is:

Great granddaughter = 40+

Granddaughter = 60+

Daughter = 80+

Original parent = 100+

Could be the chemicals!

No, I meant it makes me dizzy in the stores looking at all the products.  There are too many to choose fro, so I just walk away.  I’ve been ordering my favorite cleaning products from Walmart where they deliver for free.  All this stuff is getting too heavy, as we have eight steps to my Condo.  We’ve owned three homes, then moved to Florida from New York into a gorgeous new development near Disney.  The house was gorgeous.  After six months I got depressed.  I hated the heat and missed my kids and grandkids, so we sold and moved back when houses were high.  We bought a condo that had all the amenities that Florida had.  Golf course for him, clubhouse, etc, on Long Island.  I’m happy now, but don’t really like Condo living.  Too many rules, but not moving anymore.  I’m a N.Y.C. Girl.  Thank God the husband makes me happy and moved back.  My three kids and grandkids are all local.  No energy to ever move again.  Cost a fortune.  Some don’t want to buy a house or Condo, but the prices of renting is very high.  A two decent bedroom apartment is now $2600 a month.  Then cable, etc.  I would rather own.  It’s an investment.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

No, I meant it makes me dizzy in the stores looking at all the products.  There are too many to choose fro, so I just walk away.  I’ve been ordering my favorite cleaning products from Walmart where they deliver for free.  All this stuff is getting too heavy, as we have eight steps to my Condo.  We’ve owned three homes, then moved to Florida from New York into a gorgeous new development near Disney.  The house was gorgeous.  After six months I got depressed.  I hated the heat and missed my kids and grandkids, so we sold and moved back when houses were high.  We bought a condo that had all the amenities that Florida had.  Golf course for him, clubhouse, etc, on Long Island.  I’m happy now, but don’t really like Condo living.  Too many rules, but not moving anymore.  I’m a N.Y.C. Girl.  Thank God the husband makes me happy and moved back.  My three kids and grandkids are all local.  No energy to ever move again.  Cost a fortune.  Some don’t want to buy a house or Condo, but the prices of renting is very high.  A two decent bedroom apartment is now $2600 a month.  Then cable, etc.  I would rather own.  It’s an investment.

My aunt and uncle moved From Washington state to Florida when they retired. He was dead in two years and my aunt hated it there. They made a killing when they sold their house up here but then the housing market in the Seattle area shot up and she couldn't afford to move back and live the way they had before. She regretted the move so much. I'm glad you were able to go back. Your husband sounds like a gem!